Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Completed Let's Play Doom RL: RNG busting edition

Discussion in 'Codex Playground' started by Renegen, Apr 20, 2012.

?

Which class to pick?

1. Marine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Scout

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  3. Technician

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Keep following, I may have a surprisingly good tactic for Phobos Anomaly. The hardest level with marksman I find is Hell's Arena.

^ Top  
  2. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    update 5: Phobos lvl 4, the dungeons awakens

Show Spoiler

music

[​IMG]
    And here we are. So what's the situation? An imp, a nasty barrel right nearby and a terrible mortuary inspired level that's wide open and probably crawling with more monsters.

[​IMG]
    The chaingun is a good weapon to use when you want to snipe someone without hitting a barrel. A single burst is all it takes, maybe that's the damage upgrade.

[​IMG]
    First priority is to get to the little cover there is and far away from the barrel. A shotgunner surprises us.

[​IMG]
    Truth is I've never really been too comfortable with a chaingun, but it does again in a single volley.

[​IMG]
    Blind fire time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No one screams in pain, weird.

[​IMG]
    Ambushed again. But finesse must be doing its magic because the imp doesn't get a free shot. This may be a better trait than I thought.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I aggro something, a demon. It shouldn't be too hard except the RNG God had other plans.

[​IMG]
    I get ambushed from the rear by an imp. Worse, juggler doesn't work as expected and I cannot pull my fully loaded shotgun from my inventory. I must reload.

[​IMG]
    That imp hit me twice quite badly, my no damage streak ends at 2 levels.

[​IMG]
    Someone, or something, didn't want me to succeed as easily as I did in the last level.

[​IMG]
    Boots! An easy way to get your damage resistance up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Light amp, what a good time to get one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It helps be avoid all damage.

[​IMG]
    Gonna run to save some of this light for the other west side. It took me a few dozen hours before I realized the TAB key does that.

[​IMG]
    Oh Em Gee, a unique item. So it's a Butcher's Cleaver, but I am laughing like a crazed maniac right now.

[​IMG]
    Our jew eyes were so attracted to the item, we forget to blind fire, ambushed!

[​IMG]
    Shotgun blast doesn't close the deal and worse of all it doesn't push him back so he hits me. I guess I should've used the chaingun.

[​IMG]
    Wow, another level with 6 enemies or so.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't want to have even bigger inventory problems by picking up the Butcher's Cleaver without dropping anything so I'm going to use my mod pack. I was thinking maybe I should make a ballistic armor out of my ballistic vest, the result should be ballistic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The best part is that I will get an agility pack very soon. The armor should be more useful for us right away.

[​IMG]
    Diablo, the original roguelike for many of us. :heart:. So here's my unbelievable luck, we're going for Malicious Blades , a melee trait that uses blade weapons, and it just happens to be the Butcher's Cleaver is one of the best blade weapons in the game. It will be a completely new build but this should be interesting.

[​IMG]
    Chained Court is too soon unfortunately.

[​IMG]
    See you there!

Final Grade: B
    I got careless a few times, made a few weapon mistake choices and could've planned ahead for example by equipping both shotguns. But overall the level offered little room for manoeuvre.

^ Top  
  3. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    I'll be interested to see. Normally I run out, trigger the skulls, then run back to the starting room to make use of the choke, and then use the arena master staff. I've always had enough health and medkits to just tank the skulls there. Normally I don't even have too much issue with Hell's Arena, since the first wave isn't too bad usually, and by the end of that wave I hit level 3 and pick up Dualgunner. The Chained Court, on the other hand, has ended me a number of times: generally by being shot into the lava or misjudging the timing to apply a medkit.

^ Top  
  4. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Remember if you go dualgunner you can't go sharpshooter.

^ Top  
  5. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    I favor Scout, so that means no Sharpshooter master trait.

^ Top  
  6. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    update 6: Phobos lvl 4, recklessly safe

Show Spoiler

music

[​IMG]
    We thought we were funny to win Hell's Arena without getting hit, we were wrong. The Arena Master himself is coming after us, and many noobs have perished at his hands.

[​IMG]
    Standard procedure is to always open the right doors and to kill as much as possible. The Arena Master is on the left side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Arena Master has a tendency to resurrect anything he sees, and that includes these cacodemons. The map is wide open so you don't want one of those sneaking up on you.

[​IMG]
    Getting ambushed, not a huge surprise. I wanted to really go for this cacodemon since they don't always present themselves so nicely. Any way to prevent getting hit here? Going to switch to the chaingun and try to kill the former human first.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It worked pretty well. Juggler is used so often I don't even think about it. I guess a build without juggler is like Diablo 3 without skill swapping, you're forced to go with what you have equipped.

[​IMG]
    The next grunt hits us however. Should've ran for cover. Chaingun still isn't dependable to kill them in one shot, I have good reason not to trust the weapon.

[​IMG]
    How lucky I am these cacodemons are just exposing themselves. This is the ideal spot to be, just pump em full of lead. The trick is to spot them from afar and with cover nearby.

[​IMG]
    He does hit me though, twice. No good spot to camp for them on the level.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the situation you don't want to find yourself in.

[​IMG]
    Only one option is left, chainfire with the chaingun. It's the safest way to kill him.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Maybe he shouldn't have tried charging me in melee.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the 4 cacodemons killed relatively easily, we can scout the area and use the agility pack. I'll assemble the ballistic armor for no reason.

[​IMG]
    (Achievement unlocked, crafted an item!) With those resistances it's pretty awesome. I think the Shambler is a great target for this. I don't know if there's any other special occasions to use it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now the hard part. We must kill the Arena Master. Fortunately, I have come across a safe tactic against him.

[​IMG]
    The first critical part is to gib every normal enemy on your way to the Arena Master. For this we have our rocket launcher ready.

[​IMG]
    You don't want to have 5 grunts shooting at you while you are running away from the arena master.

[​IMG]
    Let me get berserk too because we never know if we will be surprised. The guy hits for as much as 40% of our health.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Level up.

[​IMG]
    I take the melee trait Brute which will help us in this fight but is also a requirement for Malicious Blades.

[​IMG]
    This part is harder without intuition since every enemy will surprise you.

[​IMG]
    It's that much tougher on the 3rd difficulty and up where you have shotgun grunts here.

[​IMG]
    One way to do that is to aggro everyone with weak shotgun blasts that don't kill and follow it with a rocket. Eagle Eye is also great here as rockets miss a lot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here he is. I don't try to launch a rocket as it might miss, or switch to a chaingun or anything but instead I run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The fucker can hit you out of sight. I also try to shoot a few times to be sure I aggro him, maybe a mistake.

[​IMG]
    I overestimated how fast I could run, he's too close to me. Well I run to the berserk packs anyway.

[​IMG]
    And here's how we kill him, in melee. You aggro him, take the berserk and then charge him in melee.

[​IMG]
    He goes down in three hits. Even if you're not melee, always use the chainsaw and go melee him. It's simply the safest way to do it as compared to trying to rocket him or to charge with a berserk pack that expires or using normal weapons around cover.

[​IMG]
    Our ego is definitively shattered but I think we came out alright. If he hadn't destroyed a berserk pack, I would now have 100% health. We use the second agility pack on our boots.

[​IMG]
    Are these power cells I see? I'm going to grab some more, but this time I have a good item to throw away.

[​IMG]
    Final Inventory. Since we have the Butcher's Cleaver, we're good if someone reaches melee. So I will get rid of my second shotgun which is mainly a backup shot against anyone who makes it to melee and grab 50 more power cells.

[​IMG]
    Using a medkit is tempting but I hope the next level gives some free healing.

[​IMG]
    Will our overconfident hero get horribly ambushed? Find out next time.

Final Grade B-
    The Arena Master could've gone much better, I don't like getting hit as much as I did. I think it's a pretty consistent theme that I forget to plan ahead. Should've used the first agility pack on my boots or did the opening better.

^ Top  
  7. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    If you have enough speed, you can actually dodge the arena master fire blasts by running diagonally when he raises his arms, because the blast radius is like 5 by 5, but with no corners. I like the melee approach idea, but it is really annoying fighting in that area, as the Berserk packs can be destroyed both by the arena master, and if you're particularly unfortunate, cacodemons.

Fire blast example (you're in the center):
    Code:
      [][][]
    [][][][][]
    [][][][][]
    [][][][][]
      [][][]

^ Top  
  8. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    I never knew that. So when it's written that he raises his arms, you can assume panic mode? That's great.

^ Top  
  9. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Chained court is pretty much supposed to be free xp on anything but UV. You know the berserk packs heal you to full right? And their duration stacks. And they give you a giant speed boost and damage reduction even if you don't want to melee. I usually grab the chainsaw and 2-3 berserks, beeline for the master, gut him, nuke the formers with the staff and then go back and mop things up with a gun. You can also just hide in the starting room and blast anyone who comes in range until there's only a few guys left, then take them out while abusing all the leftover heals. I guess it'd be a pain if you're on marksman challenge and you cleared the arena... but if you're on marksman you might as well skip the arena, which turns the chained court into total pussy mode. You miss out on a few mods but there's really nothing you need them for in the game. You'll get enough to make some sort of decent weapon/armour in the armoury. Marksman runs live and die by their traits far more than their equipment. Gun Kata turns the Cyberdemon into a joke, Sharpshooter is pretty insane as well. Never tried the marine marksman build. I don't like the marine much in general.

Protip for marksman: A third level of SoaG is better than Dualgunner. You go from 60% firing delay to 40% > +50% attack rate, plus the extra point of damage. Dualgunner gives you 2 shots but at 20% extra delay, so it's effectively a move from 100% speed to 60% which is slightly better bullets per second, but it does less per bullet, takes longer to reload, and you have to fire 2 shots at a time even when you only need one and would rather move sooner after the kill.

Also, how the hell are you only level 3 by the end of that wave, especially if you're doing the arena and chained court?

^ Top  
  10. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    'Hey, Not too Rough' bro is how. It took me a while to remember how low the exp is but I distinctively remember hitting level 4 in the Chained Court many times before. It could be said we are slightly ahead of schedule because the Chained Court was available on floor 4 at its earliest. The berserk packs stack is quite interesting. At the very least, my strategy could be changed to rushing for the arena master after having cleared the right part. Easier and cleaner, but you don't get a chance a free heal after.

^ Top  
  11. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    2 berserks is enough to get to the master if you're not wearing heavy armor or anything, I think. You got 3 including the chainsaw, so you can save one. It is a little dicey though, if you get knocked back with shotgunblasts/from the arena master things can get ugly. I think your strategy of pulling him back to the room is a good one, although I'd change it a bit; you can probably piss him off from outside of visual range with a shotgun blast.

^ Top  
  12. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    update 7: Phobos lvl 5, we are a tech after all

Show Spoiler

music

[​IMG]
    We are on level 5 of Phobos. Not quite the difficulty level of episode 2, but tougher than the earlier levels. I really don't know what to expect.

[​IMG]
    A computer map right where we start. It will be the first time effectively we get to use one. Technicians can extract the maximum amount of data from them.

[​IMG]
    We extract everything in fact. The whole map, every item and every enemy as they move. And what a nice break for us.

[​IMG]
    The dangers of Phobos 5 are all made clear to us indeed. So chaingunners are common now. I make a liberal use of the wait command to have this imp come in my firing range.

[​IMG]
    By the time they are in visible range, they are one hit away from dying.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Boom, Boom, Boom? Well anyway, they are dead. And these chaingunners drop all the ammo we may need.

[​IMG]
    I pop my head and an imp sees me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They really seem to converge on me. Another imp. This one is perfect for a shotgun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And two more for easy pickings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a good map for cover. This type only shows early but there's cover everywhere and it usually works in your favor. The layout even reminds me of the real Doom E2M1.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second large room is almost cleared.

[​IMG]
    So many imps on this level. This must be the standard for these later levels, and imps are dangerous. They are fast, deadly and don't drop any ammo.

[​IMG]
    It doesn't get any better than this though. They are helpless to a few chaingun bursts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me shake things up a bit and use a shotgun. There are so many great targets.

[​IMG]
    And I always feel like I depend on my shotgun. Two more imps present themselves.

[​IMG]
    A shotgun, two soft targets and some cover to protect myself. I think I'm getting hard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One final former. I actually heard the fucker use a medpack before he went down, arrgg.

[​IMG]
    Here I pose for the camera surrounded by corpses. A perfect example of what the computer bonus of the Tech provides. It typically happens for 2-3 levels and it's enough to skip the intuition trait, at least early on.

[​IMG]
    Let's gather up the loot. We've picked up some health globes and armor shards already, now there's a large medpack.

[​IMG]
    We'll drop a small medpack for a straight up upgrade.

[​IMG]
    But how can I drop a medpack? I want to carry at least 1 additional one. Instead I drop 10 rockets.

[​IMG]
    And here is our berserk pack just near the stairs to the next level.

[​IMG]
    May the next level be as easy as this one.

Final Grade: A+
    I think I put myself in harm's way once because I was impatient.

^ Top  
  13. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Damn this game is awesome !
    Renegen, what would be for you the best powergaming skillset to finish the game on normal mode ? I keep getting my ass kicked, especially when i tried to cross "The Wall"..

^ Top  
  14. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    It is an awesome game. I keep getting amazed how close it manages to stay to the original Doom games from the way the monsters are, to what weapons are most used, to items, to everything! Because I'm doing the LP, I can't play any faster than 1 level every 2 days and it's killing me.

This LP is an attempt at a safe build but it's become a bit more than that since the technician was chosen (thanks again guys!) Btw, what is normal mode? Is that the 1st or 2nd difficulty? I'm not sure about the best powergaming build, maybe everybody else could make their suggestion?

^ Top  
  15. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    For my first win, I had the best results with a shotgun scout. Just go for the shotgun traits (shottyman, shottyhead). Juggler is also very nice to have for swapping from your trusty shotgun to a rocket launcher or bfg. Concerning the wall, you want to try and blow a narrow corridor for a good choke and lots of cover. Then abuse that cover and the shottie's blindfire from around a corner. You just have to proceed very carefully and slowly. You don't want to run out from your choke and then have 3 hell knights on your ass in the open. Also, go easy on the rockets, as it's pretty easy to accidentally destroy the goodies on the far left side of the map.

^ Top  
  16. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yep, totally, it's really awesome. Didn't think it would be so fun to play, honestly. I spend my entire last evening playing this damn game for crying out loud.

For now i've only played as a shotgun scout on the middle difficulty (Hurt me plenty), but as i'm getting plowed each time, i guess i should try the lower one first.
    Are pistol builds viable ? I never found any good pistol, so I really wonder about that one.

Edit: Didn't see your post OF, thanks for the tips, i'll try them out next time :thumbsup:

^ Top  
  17. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    update 8: Phobos lvl 6, the heat rises

Show Spoiler

music

[​IMG]
    The trumpets echo... I don't know what that means.

[​IMG]
    Berserker decides to kick in.

[​IMG]
    More imps are to await us, the difficulty is rising notably.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Crap a barrel. Even with no enemies, barrels are just dangerous.

[​IMG]
    And we indeed get shot at and the barrel explodes. (I should say, it's really hard to capture shots in-action, I haven't been able to time it once! it must be the way the game is programmed)

[​IMG]
    The level gives us immediately a large medpack, my precious medpacks. I want to take it immediately in case something happens.

[​IMG]
    This level is wide open. We have nice big rooms but also a lot of barrels and foes coming out of nowhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's really chaingun country here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's also full of imps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Every fight is within chaingun range. In fact I don't even try to blindfire anymore.

[​IMG]
    He hits me quite hard. I am getting a bit reckless but part of it has to do with the fact there are so many extra medpacks lying around.

[​IMG]
    We even get surprised and hit hard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oooh, another large medpack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And to top things off, we find a computer to clear the remaining enemies with ease.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For the final shotgunner, I make use of the wait command to get him into perfect position. This is a very powerful tactic. Why risk yourself?

[​IMG]
    We're back to 100%/100% like nothing ever happened. And with so many medpacks remaining, I really want to squeeze another one in.

[​IMG]
    What to drop this time? Things are getting really tight. Actually I will drop something but not for a medpack. I have a more important insurance mechanism.

[​IMG]
    A phase device. We're quite lucky to find a phase device in this first episode. I think we'll need 2-3 of them to be absolutely safe so I must put it in my inventory. Guess what I drop? the last 10mm ammo. :troll:

[​IMG]
    We're reduced to 40 ammo and that's it. It's only temporary though for the next 2 levels, I hope it works out.

Final Grade: B -
    I took quite a lot of hits and was overall reckless. It worked out though since we had so much free healing lying around. Maybe these bad habits will carry forward?

^ Top  
  18. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    Nope, there are no good base pistols. It's very close to Doom in a way, the pistol becomes useless very quickly. Yet a pistol build is fully viable. For advanced tactics, the game offers rare and unique pistols and craftable pistols. Up to you to discover them!

And yeah, 'Hurt me Plenty' can be quite difficult. My own player card shows I've only ever beaten the game on that difficulty once. I started at the bottom on the easiest difficulty, but it's a good challenge to play the higher ones.

^ Top  
  19. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Pistols are only decent when you get a special one. Though almost any unique pistol will do. I think Sharpshooter is the best personally.

If you just want to beat the game, my suggestions are these:

Play Scout.

Intuition 2 is your first goal.
    Then get Juggler.
    Get a point of Eagle Eye.
    Put any more levels into Ironman, then hell runner if that gets maxed.

You won't be especially good with any one weapon. However, you can switch to whatever weapon is most appropriate, instantly. Pull out that rocket launcher the second you see a horde of enemies it'll work well on, then swap away to mop them up instead of reloading. Pull out your shotgun instantly when you're too close to someone or fighting lost souls. Etc. Abuse the hell out of your monster sense with intuition 2. It's pretty much never a good idea to come into view of more than one enemy at a time, or at close range. You want to see them from very far away. If they're close, you want to either shoot them from where they can't see you around a corner, or back up and blow open a door or wall from far away, rather than opening a door with an enemy 3 tiles away.

Avoid most special levels. Good ones to do are the chained court, the armoury, and halls of carnage. You can stick your head in the mortuary too if you have a homing phase device (use it right away and then grab the nearest things and leave before anything finds you.) Hopefully you'll get a nice weapon somewhere along the way, and you can use the BFG to take out anything you'd have too much trouble with otherwise.

Single weapon builds can be good if you know the game well enough, but it's a lot easier to use lots of weapons and not worry as much about running out of your only ammo or dealing with enemies immune to your build. Nobody is resistant to a plasma rifle AND a rocket launcher AND a shotgun.

Oh, and the 2nd difficulty (Hey, not too rough) is the normal one. The next one up is considered hard and has nastier enemy spawns, bonus stats for enemies, and more xp. The next one is even moreso of the same shit. Nightmare is the last difficulty, but not necessarily the hardest... it has some features like reviving enemies and double strength power ups that make it easier in some ways.

^ Top  
  20. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    update 9: Phobos lvl 7, deja vu

Show Spoiler
    music

[​IMG]
    Better switch to the shotgun.

[​IMG]
    So a lost soul surprises us from the rear. Normally, this would be the worst situation ever as we have 2 melee monsters close to us.

[​IMG]
    Fortunately we have our trusty Butcher's Cleaver on hand and kill the lost soul without losing any time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That wasn't so bad.

[​IMG]
    We are lucky again and find a computer map right at the entrance. This shall be our second level where we take advantage of the Tech's special ability.

[​IMG]
    First thing I notice is the homing phase device to the left. I'm so focused on that I don't even notice for a second the large medpack.

[​IMG]
    I also have to be careful with the demon. Notice the former is about to pick up the large medpack.

[​IMG]
    A blind chaingun fire goes horribly wrong. This is all the ammo I have.

[​IMG]
    I take easy care of this guy.

[​IMG]
    This imp manages to hit me because of sheer laziness. I just forgot to move out of his line of fire.

[​IMG]
    And we are now positioning ourselves against the former which, unbeknown to me, has the large medpack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If I knew I would've been more careful and maybe attract him closer. As it is, he both gets to use the medpack and I blow the barrel. Fuck.

[​IMG]
    There's not that many barrels but they are in the wrong place. The map has a lot of cover but also a lot of close spaces.

[​IMG]
    Not wasting any time, I replace the phase device with the homing device. Apparently the homing one is still a random blink but it's in a safe area. I also replace my boots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Moved some barrels out of the way and now we're ready for the second room.

[​IMG]
    One of the great thing about the shotgun is that it's better than most weapons at out of range firing. Here we only need 2-4 shots to kill this guy while the chaingun would require more bursts and infinitely more ammo.

[​IMG]
    It's also good as a suppressant. We don't want this guy in any open area. This makes the shotgun great at short range and out of sight range, a weird combination.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Level up comes. Man, I think I waited 3 floors for this. We're going for Malicious Blades so Hellrunner it is. It's a great trait, it's good versus certain enemies that tend to move faster than you. A defensive trait.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I really didn't mean to blow the barrel! We were just outside its range. This level is so annoying, the barrels are starting to piss me off and it's not even the second episode.

[​IMG]
    I put myself in the line of fire for some reason.

[​IMG]
    Chaingun still fails, ahem. Really not the weapon to use when you are extra low on ammo.

[​IMG]
    Better switch back to the boomstick.

[​IMG]
    And it's done. The last guy had a homing phase of all things. We're incredibly lucky to have 2 of those. I drop a small medpack for it, hard to believe but it's true.

[​IMG]
    The map really spoiled us with goods. There's a double shotgun on the floor, but I will leave it in favor of the Butcher's Cleaver. The very next floor might make me regret this decision.

[​IMG]
    The easy floors are over. The Wall awaits us, which is perhaps the first place that can punish you heavily for the smallest mistakes.

Final Grade: A
    I put myself in harm's way twice for some reason, but another great run that only a techie could pull.

^ Top  
  21. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    Damn, how do you move barrels? Obviously dangerous, but sometimes handy. And why not take the double shotgun over the normal one? Also, sadface for no equpment/inventory screenshot.

^ Top  
  22. Lindblum Augur

Lindblum
    Yeah you complained about 10mm ammo problems but don't show us why.

^ Top  
  23. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Malicious Knives is easily the best all around skill for techies, I think. Their innate skill makes item way more valuable than they'd normally be compared to ammo, so having extra melee ability to save ammo is a huge benefit. Combined with some modded armor they can be extremely tanky.

^ Top  
  24. Renegen Arcane

Renegen
    What do you mean? Perhaps I failed to show clearly enough? I forgot to post the inventory screen this round but on the last floor I dropped all my 10mm ammo except the 40 inside the chaingun. On this floor whenever I tried firing into the dark with the chaingun, I'd waste 20+ ammo without even getting a hit because of the huge accuracy penalties.

First time going with Malicious Blades, it's nice to hear it's a good trait :p. I didn't know at the time I made the decision, but it's a good defensive way to build the techie for this LP.

Yeah, my mistake! Inventory didn't bulge very much but I will do it twice next floor just since you asked, hehe. Double shotgun is good except that its reload speed is twice as long and it wastes ammo twice as fast obviously. What this means is that the weapon is bad at long range the way I like to use my shotgun and only good at short range. And I have the Butcher's Cleaver for that. It's a first, but my inventory really was too full for anything. To move barrels, just push in the direction you want to go.

^ Top  
  25. Occasionally Fatal Prophet

Occasionally Fatal
    You can use the alt fire to do single fire and and the alt reload to do a single reload.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.