Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lets Play DoomRL! For Graphics whores!

Archaeon

Scholar
moar moar moar moar

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh man. We might not make it to the end after all. I got THRASHED in the last level I was just in. A stupid decision cost me pretty much all of our healing items. Still, I'm going to continue trying for a full clear. We've certainly had enough luck item drop wise to pull it off. I just need to play perfectly from here on out. This next level is likely going to be the deciding one.

Damned Registrations

Hoo boy. Things were eventful today.
DoomRLd0001.png

A maze level. We like maze levels, more or less. Few enemies become visible at a time, so we can mow them down easily.
DoomRLd0002.png

Only takes a couple kills to get us to level 8. And level 8 means...
DoomRLd0003.png

:yeah:

This is a game changer. The bottom 5 traits on this list are called 'master traits'. As you can see, they have hefty requirements and are mutually exclusive with lots of shit. Between their requiresments and exclusions, you can only get one master trait at a time. However, they all tend to let us do really awesome shit.
DoomRLd0004.png

Like say, dish out 8d7+16 plasma damage in a single action at a cost of just one energy cell. We are fucking GOD right now.
DoomRLd0005.png

This baron actually died in a single attack. Thats how good this weapon is. And now we can fire it as much as we want. Well, almost, anyways. Technically, in previous versions, the ammo cost was nothing, so people used it to clear whole levels from one side of the map without ever seeing any enemies. But that was retarded.
DoomRLd0006.png

By the way, in case you didn't manage to figure out, these napalm barrels...
DoomRLd0007.png

...do this when you shoot them. Note that a lot of enemies actually die in lava (very quickly at that.)
DoomRLd0008.png

Right, even though we're only using 1 ammo per blast, we still got no reserves. So we're in trouble right?
DoomRLd0009.png

Nope! We can unload the lovely BFG we found in the previous level. We got tons of ammo. Yeah, you probably wanted to see me use the BFG right away, but 40 cells per shot is insane. Those same 40 shells can dish out 640d7 damage with the rifle. Slightly better mileage.
DoomRLd0010.png

Welcome to yet another special level. We should be ok here. It's open except for all these rooms, none of which have doors. Also, the sounds of dozens of hissing demons.
DoomRLd0011.png

So doing this makes lots of sense.
DoomRLd0012.png

In retrospect, swapping to the shotgun first would have been a good idea.
DoomRLd0013.png

We activate running and head east. The lost souls are still slightly faster than us, but not enough to hit us more than once a turn, and we clump them up pretty quickly.
DoomRLd0014.png

Shotgun takes out more than a dozen at once. This group is soon gone.
DoomRLd0015.png

You didn't think this level would have just lost souls did you? I haven't been showing these images/descriptions because... well they're ugly as fuck, even for ascii.
DoomRLd0016.png

Pain elementals follow you and spawn lost souls. They also spawn lost souls when you kill them. This results in a lot of fucking lost souls.
DoomRLd0017.png

We try out the staff one more time. We actually manage to kill a pain elemental with all the splash, but none of the lost souls, since they're too resistant.
DoomRLd0018.png

Gah. Back to traditional methods.
DoomRLd0019.png

Another epic shotgun blast.
DoomRLd0021.png

This is from the same blast btw, and those two closest to us are dead too.
DoomRLd0022.png

We switch to the rifile to clean up stragglers and start looting the energy cells. We don't give a fuck about the other ammo.
DoomRLd0023.png

This though, is nice. BFGs actually hold more ammo than a stack of cells does anyways, and all weapons start fully loaded.
DoomRLd0024.png

We add a bulk mod to this one, giving us even more storage capacity and letting us fire it 3 times in a row if shit really hits the fan.
DoomRLd0025.png

Meet the boss. Agony elementals are like pain elementals, except they spawn pain elementals.
DoomRLd0026.png

They also melee real fucking hard and have about a billion hp.
DoomRLd0027.png

Medkit and running sees us through the day. I decide to pull out the BFG rather than lose more life trying to herd them more.
DoomRLd0028.png

It clears our screen. No special graphics for the blast yet though.

DoomRLd0030.png

So what the fuck are those exotic things the boss dropped anyways?
DoomRLd0031.png

Well, it is called 'The City of Skulls'. We mop up and move onward.
DoomRLd0032.png

Chumps don't know what hit them.
DoomRLd0033.png

Another level. We pick up a melee trait. This is a huge benefit for melee, but obviously melee in general isn't such a hot idea when you have an awesome plasma rifle to us. So why grab this instead of more defensive traits? It's a secret!
DoomRLd0034.png

We grab this box of rockets too, though we probably won't need it. I just want to make absolutely sure I have enough rockets for the next level.
DoomRLd0035.png

Because this place is a REAL bitch. There are way more of these fuckers on harder difficulties, btw.
DoomRLd0036.png

The teleporters warp you to predetermined locations behind these walls.
DoomRLd0037.png

However, the spiders can use them too.
DoomRLd0038.png

I lure this poor stupid fuck into melee range and pull out the chainsaw. Arachnotrons are almost harmless in melee and suffer double damage from melee attacks.
DoomRLd0039.png

So it pops like a zit.
DoomRLd0040.png

I decide to mod up the chainsaw too. Making it faster is a major benefit.
DoomRLd0041.png

The battle continues. It takes a lot of time, but eventually I wipe out almost all of them.
DoomRLd0042.png

I pull out the BFG when I stop waiting and move east, in case we get jumped by lots of spiders at once, the knockback could save us.
DoomRLd0043.png

Finally the level is clear. We're pretty much set for energy cells for the game now, since these fuckers drop them when they die, they're all over, plus rewards for clearing the level.
DoomRLd0044.png

Including an ammo case equivalent for them.
DoomRLd0045.png

New boots. Though we don't switch, since ours have a speed buff.
DoomRLd0046.png

New weapon.
DoomRLd0047.png

Alas, it doesn't really recharge quickly enough to be terribly useful. We'd drain it in 3 seconds, and wait another 20 to fill it back up. It's really only useful for incredibly mobile characters with intuition. But we keep it, because it serves another purpose as well.
DoomRLd0048.png

7th floor. Lost souls, pain elementals, firey death.
DoomRLd0049.png

Lots of firey death in fact. Lava and acid pools show up a lot in later levels. It's the main reason to worry about knockback.
DoomRLd0050.png

Largely because of fuckers like revenants. These bastards fire rockets, which cause knockback easily, hurt like a bitch, and NEVER miss. Ever.
DoomRLd0051.png

We tactically retreat, use a medpack, and circle around to blind fire at them from below.
DoomRLd0052.png

The AI does not approve.
DoomRLd0053.png

But the AI is also stupid enough to get into melee with us instead of using it's rocket launcher.
DoomRLd0054.png

We pull out our friendly neighbourhood chainsaw.
DoomRLd0055.png

It doesn't even move after our first swing. These guys are slow, and our chainsaw is fast.
DoomRLd0056.png

BAM! Plasma rifle would have worked as well, but the game records your kills, so I like collecting melee trophies when it's easy.
DoomRLd0057.png

Oh man. This place was the fucking boss room of the game previously.
DoomRLd0058.png

We bring out the BFG to deal with this monster.
DoomRLd0059.png

But it barely scratches cybie, and he doesn't get knocked back at all.
DoomRLd0060.png

Two direct hits and he's barely injured.
DoomRLd0061.png

We switch to the rifle to whittle him down. We try dodging most of his rockets, but don't have the best of luck.
DoomRLd0062.png

In fact, he nearly kills us, because I'm too stubborn to waste a medkit on this shit.
DoomRLd0063.png

Last episode. Final destination. Some other lame cliche.
DoomRLd0064.png

This poor fuck. Why would you stand there?
DoomRLd0065.png

The light amp power up we got 2 levels ago is still active. :lol: We've really been tearing our way through.
DoomRLd0066.png

We find another exotic item. This is actually a new item in .9.9.5 that I haven't seen before. It's WAY better than a normal pistol. The damage, accuracy, and ammo clip are all significantly better. Should help out pistol experts a lot when they can't find the rarer pistols like we did.
DoomRLd0067.png

Fuck I hate these guys. Easily second most dangerous enemy in the game, and probably the one that kills me the most, though that's more due to my incompetence.
DoomRLd0068.png

Mancubi fire trios of rockets. You can dodge them (in fact, dodging is guaranteed, their shots are coded to never directly hit a dodging player) but at this point in hell, chances are theres always a wall next to you, and a good chance there's a pool of nasty to be knocked into. We back up and it blows a hole in the wall, letting us hide in ehre to lure it close.
DoomRLd0069.png

Where we take it's head off.
DoomRLd0070.png

And gain another level. We get Brute again.
DoomRLd0071.png

Melee accuracy is now quite respectable.
DoomRLd0072.png

Another new enemy. Archviles are basicaly like the arena master, but faster and with less hp. They revive enemies if you don't giv the corpses.
DoomRLd0073.png

And blast the shit out of you. They actually do double damage now compared to last version, although it's fire now instead of plasma. Still, between the direct hp loss and the hp hit to repair the armor, this hurts like crazy.
DoomRLd0074.png

This is NOT a good place to stand.
DoomRLd0075.png

We unload the rifles of enemy commandos right off the ground. We could have done this with other weapon types earlier, but never had a need to.
DoomRLd0076.png

More fun situations.
DoomRLd0077.png

Nearly died here. I could have avoided this and just gone on to the next level too, but noooo. I debate whether to use a large medkit or a phase device here, and decide on the medkit. Landing within sight of an enemy and dying would really suck.
DoomRLd0078.png

Of course, we lose over half our health right away (remember to factor in the cost to repair the armor.) Getting pelted by these things hurts SO bad.
DoomRLd0079.png

We manage to clear the level, but are now entirely out of medkits.
DoomRLd0080.png

I use a blood skull here, even though it's mostly a waste, because we need every scrap of health we can get for the next level. Though in retrospect, it might have been better to save it for that level. Skulls provide effects by gibbing corpses in line of sight. The blood skull heals us, and can even go over the health cap, but the corpses here are too scattered so we get a tiny benefit from it.
DoomRLd0081.png

Oh man. I can't believe I'm trying to take this place on with no medkits and a build horribly unsuited for it. I think I can pull it off, just barely, with the equipment and traits I have. If we get decent rolls. Wish me luck. Scads and scads of luck.

Damned Registrations

Maybe I should ask my readers. I already entered the level, but I can technically run the fuck away right away before I risk anything. Do you guys want to see me skulk to the end of the game as efficiently as possible from here on out or continue going balls deep?

Heresiarch

Prophet
Heh, though seeing people die in roguelikes are fun as shit, in this LP I wouldn't like to see it. Because I want to see what else new stuff is introduced (I was surprised when I saw after killing Cybie you go down to Inferno!).

I would prefer to see you die by the Spider Demon. Because honestly, I don't see how you could possibly survive the Cathedral with your current build and items, so why die here...

lightbane

Arcane
I say you only show us a little about that level, then run away tactically retreat as fast as you can.

Damned Registrations

Based on the votes, I decide to try out the UC, and retreat as soon as I figure my odds of living go under 50%
DoomRLe0002.png

So whats so nasty about this place anyways? Why am I holding a chainsaw and picking up Brute traits?
DoomRLe0003.png

This, gentlemen, is the special level where only melee is permitted. No BFG, no plasma rifle, no nothing. Just us and our chainsaw and items.
DoomRLe0004.png

First room is empty.
DoomRLe0005.png

Second room was filled with lost souls. About ~16 of them. Careful movement and a switch to plate armor (so we don't lose health repairing it) get us through while only losing 9 HP.
DoomRLe0006.png

Next room is demons. I actually fuck up a bit and kill a couple on the door, wasting their corpses. Why do I want them to leave corpses?
DoomRLe0007.png

So we can do this! A little more about berserk: Aside from the double damage for melee, it gives us 60% damage resistances to everything, including melee. It also increases our speed by 50%! So we can attack nearly twice per second!
DoomRLe0008.png

The skull lets me murder the other demons easily. We still have 30 hp left, another hatred skull, enough corpses to berserk us for 30 turns, and a teched chainsaw.
DoomRLe0009.png

However, I fuck it up, big time. I should have either A: Switched back to necro armor to lure the boss back to the corpses, or just used the corpses where they were and charged in, trusting that the berserk duration was long enough for us to win (it was, I'm quite sure.) Instead I opened the door like a moron, THEN turned on running (wasting a turn) then ran a few tiles, getting pounded for massive damage from behind, then switched to Necro armor and kept running, using our second hatred skull so we could maintain our speed longer and get to the exit. Which we did, barely.
DoomRLe0010.png

Oh man. This is not safe. We're leaving the necro armor on for the speed boost. The last thing we need is to have an enemy get a free shot off on us.
DoomRLe0011.png

Luckily we get a health orb before any fighting breaks out. This is still small potatoes for this level though. We need a large health kit, orb, berserk pack, or preferably a supercharge.
DoomRLe0012.png

We blast the napalm barrel next to this guy, hurting him badly and knocking him out of sight.
DoomRLe0013.png

Then we pull out the BFG to attack the darkness. Hopefully we didn't just destroy a nice healing item (we probably did. They're pretty common in later areas.)
DoomRLe0014.png

NOT what we want to see. We use the BFG to knock him away.
DoomRLe0015.png

Another health orb. We're still getting by by the skin of our teeth though.
DoomRLe0016.png

I choose to move on rather than fully explore this level. The open layout is too dangerous, and archville or arachnotron could finish us off in one turn too easily.
DoomRLe0017.png

Wow, another unique! We're lucky this game. Except for, you know, losing all our medkits to a single mancusbus a while back and limping along ever since.
DoomRLe0018.png

Luckily only the imp hit us here.
DoomRLe0019.png

We're going to be stuck on 2% health for a while now. We can't afford to lose the armor speed bonus.
DoomRLe0020.png

:rage:

I paced around by this door for a while listening for demon sounds and heard nothing so I thought it was safe. Apparently I thought wrong.
DoomRLe0021.png

We gain a demon rank because of the mancubus we chopped up earlier in the run. Nice.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------
DoomRL (v.0.9.9.5G) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

Codex, level 10 Cacodemon 2nd Lieutenant Marine,
rode a mancubi rocket on level 3 of Hell.
He survived 92369 turns and scored 67101 points.
He played for 6 hours, 52 minutes and 23 seconds.
He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 549 out of 561 hellspawn. (97%)
He held his right to remain violent.

He saved himself 4 times. < [COLOR=#ffff00]This refers to saving the game, which you can only do at stairs in Doom RL[/COLOR]

-- Special levels --------------------------------------------

Levels generated : 11
  Levels visited  : 8
  Levels completed : 7

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

UAC Star (bronze cluster)
  Aurora Medallion
  Hell Champion Medal
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Arachno Bronze Badge

-- Graveyard -------------------------------------------------

######################################======###############
  ..........^.......#..}#...............======.........=====#
  ...........0......#...#..............}======.........=====#
  ................../..i#.........|.....======.........=====#
  ..................#...#........B[|.|..======..........===.#
  .........i........#...#.....|.........======............%.#
  ##########/####/###...#...............======..............#
  ..................#...i.....}.........======..............#
  ##.##.......##....#...#..i............======..............#
  ##.##.##....##..../.../.|.......^.....#======.|...........#
  ......##.##>......###############+#####======########.X####
  .........##...0...#..^.................======.............#
  .+................#...............0....======.........^...#
  ............0.....#....................======.....M..0....#
  #####+##+########+##########+##########======####/#########
  ...........|......#....................======.............#
  ......|...........#....0...............======......|......#
  ..................#..................O.===0==.............#
  ..............}...#....................======........^....#
  #######################################======##############

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 0/60  Experience 45394/10
  ToHit Ranged +0  ToHit Melee +4  ToDmg Ranged +2  ToDmg Melee +8

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Class : Marine

Son of a bitch  (Level 2)
    Reloader        (Level 2)
    Brute            (Level 2)
    Badass          (Level 1)
    Triggerhappy    (Level 2)
    Ammochain        (Level 1)

Bad->SoB->SoB->TH->TH->Rel->Rel->MAc->Bru->Bru->

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor      ]  Necroarmor [6/6] (85%)
    [b] [ Weapon    ]  plasma rifle (1d7)x6 [29/40] (A1)
    [c] [ Boots      ]  protective boots [2/2] (100%) (A)
    [d] [ Prepared  ]  chainsaw (4d6) (T)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] plasma shotgun (7d3) [30/30]
    [b] nuclear plasma rifle (1d6)x6 [24/24]
    [c] BFG 9000 (10d8) [100/100]
    [d] BFG 9000 (10d8) [130/130] (B1)
    [e] Grammaton Cleric Beretta (1d7)x6 [18/18]
    [f] plate armor [8]
    [g] power cell (x2)
    [h] phase device
    [i] power mod pack
    [j] fire skull
    [k] Arena Master's Staff
    [l] steel boots [1/1] (100%)
    [m] plasteel boots [2/2] (100%)
    [n] power battery (x120)

-- Resistances -----------------------------------------------

Acid      - internal 0%    torso 0%    feet 25%

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

72 former humans
    49 former sergeants
    11 former captains
    66 imps
    53 demons
    207 lost souls
    23 cacodemons
    12 hell knights
    13 barons of hell
    16 arachnotrons
    4 former commandos
    11 pain elementals
    2 revenants
    2 mancubi
    2 arch-viles
    2 bruiser brothers
    1 shambler
    1 agony elemental
    1 Cyberdemon
    1 Arena Master

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the surface of Phobos.
  On level 2 he entered Hell's Arena.
  He left the Arena as a champion!
  On level 4 he stormed the Chained Court.
  On level 4 he found the Arena Master's Staff!
  He defeated the Hell Arena Master!
  On level 7 he witnessed the Wall.
  He massacred the evil behind the Wall!
  On level 8 he encountered the Phobos Anomaly.
  On level 10 he entered Hell's Armory.
  On level 10 he found the Grammaton Cleric Beretta!
  On level 10 he assembled a gatling gun!
  On level 10 he found the Onyx Armor Pack!
  On level 10 he assembled a plate armor!
  He destroyed the evil within and reaped the rewards!
  On level 12 he found the Necroarmor!
  On level 12 he ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
  On level 13 he found the City of Skulls.
  He wiped out the City of Skulls.
  On level 14 he ventured into the Spider's Lair.
  He cleared the Lair, kickin' serious spider ass!
  On level 16 he found the Tower of Babel!
  On level 17 he ran for his life from acid!
  On level 17 he invaded the Unholy Cathedral!
  He fled the Unholy Cathedral seeing no chance to win.
  Entering level 18 he was almost dead...
  On level 19 he finally rode a mancubi rocket.

-- Messages --------------------------------------------------

Fire -- Choose target...
You see : a lost soul (unhurt) [m]ore | acid
The missile hits the lost soul. The missile hits the lost soul. The missile
hits the lost soul. The missile hits the lost soul. The lost soul
dies. The missile hits the lost soul. The lost soul dies.
Fire -- Choose target...
You see : a lost soul (unhurt) [m]ore | floor
The missile hits the lost soul. The missile hits the lost soul. The lost
soul dies. The missile hits the lost soul. The missile hits the lost
soul. The lost soul dies.
Fire -- Choose target...
You see : a lost soul (unhurt) [m]ore | floor
The missile hits the lost soul. The missile hits the lost soul. The lost
soul dies.
You open the door.
Boom! You die!... Press <Enter>...

Alas, hell goes undefeated.

But oh, what is this?
DoomRLe0001.png

I was going to do a max carnage run next, but this could be interesting... Though BLADE difficulty challenges are generally next to impossible, so I doubt our starting equipment is all that good.

If you guys have any other particular requests for stuff you want to see me do, feel free.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh boo. For a moment there I actually thought you'd survive. :P

Let's try out that BLADE challenge. Sounds extremely interesting.

spekkio

Arcane
Good shit TBH. Esp. it's interesting how cool stuff like various traits/skills/whatevers can be nicely implemented into such simple concept of a game (roguelike) while when you start adding AWESOME 3d graphics, voice acting and other production valuez, you end up with Fallout 3. Or even Bioshock: "It was hard to make a not-broken system of stats and traits in System Shock 2. You know what, guyse, let's fuck this whole 'gameplay' bullshit and add moar bloom and PR hype!". -> GOTY.

:yeah:

Damned Registrations

If figure I'll show the other classes at least a bit since we're probably doomed anyways.
DoomRLf0001.png

I actually don't give a fuck about the passive technicians get at all, even if we did have proper map view.
DoomRLf0002.png

As you can see, all the master traits are different for a technician. We... probably aren't going to get to any of those. I grab hellrunner because we'll probably be doing that a lot.
DoomRLf0003.png

Hmm. At least we're not in a room filled with high level demons. I think the first floor is actually made to spawn with some weaker enemies to give you half a chance in this challenge.
DoomRLf0004.png

Our gear is nice, but hardly overwhelming. We don't have boots, armor, mods, phase devices or explosives. Or a chainsaw or any kind of plasma weapon.
DoomRLf0005.png

We abuse the fuck out of our shotgun.
DoomRLf0006.png

Lots of extra shells dropping for us, which is good. Though this thing will be near useless against more armored enemies.
DoomRLf0007.png

We fire around this corner and hear screaming, so we keep firing.
DoomRLf0008.png

Fucker! We fire back at it, knocking it out of range. It'll be able to get a shot off once we need to reload however.
DoomRLf0009.png

Or we'll get double teamed! Fuck. Time to run.
DoomRLf0010.png

We manage to escape and continue poking at enemies for a while.
DoomRLf0011.png

But died anyways. Lets try take two. Oooh armor!
DoomRLf0012.png

Also, specs for the minigun, since we haven't seen it before this challenge. It'd be a nice weapon if we had some accuracy traits. But we don't, and shit with armor is common this late, so it's kinda junk for us. Also, 10mm rounds get to be kind of rare in hell, so you can run out of ammo real quick using a beast like that.
DoomRLf0013.png

These crates are perfect for letting us corner shoot with our shotgun.
DoomRLf0014.png

But we're still getting pelted hard, because we're so damned slow and these guys have a lot of armor.
DoomRLf0016.png

I decided to take brute traits on this guy, not so much for the UC (we don't have the chainsaw, which is pretty much required) but for a trait it'll unlock.
DoomRLf0017.png

However, with enemies like this around...
DoomRLf0018.png

We don't get that far.
DoomRLf0019.png

Lets try a scout instead. At least the speed bonus works, even if the stair reveal is useless.
DoomRLf0020.png

Hellrunner again. Combined with our innate speed bonus, we'll be pretty fast.
DoomRLf0021.png

See? And we're not even running.
DoomRLf0022.png

Oh hell yes!
DoomRLf0023.png

Jackpot! Lets dash for the stairs.
DoomRLf0024.png

Double jackpot even!
DoomRLf0025.png

Level 2! Muahaha.
DoomRLf0026.png

And 3! And still invulnerable!
DoomRLf0027.png

Note the status indicator turning grey here though. Thats our warning it'll be gone in a few more turns.
DoomRLf0028.png

We get to safe land just in time.
DoomRLf0029.png

Level 3 comes around, nice.
DoomRLf0030.png

We forgo the intermediate trait two levels of hellrunner unlocked in favour of intuition, which is what being a scout lets you learn without a prerequisite. I actually consider that part to be the biggest advantage scouts have, normally. Intuition is easily the best trait in the game.
DoomRLf0031.png

Though it's not keeping us alive very well at the moment. Notice we should be able to see the health globe we saw 2 screens ago from here, if powerups were actually being revealed. I hope a new beta version fixes that part at least real soon.
DoomRLf0032.png

Large health globe to the rescue.
DoomRLf0033.png

2 levels of hellrunner make even commandos a joke if we're actively dodging them, especially at a decent range.
DoomRLf0034.png

Or at least it does until we have to get close. Relying on a shotgun this late is SO LAME.
DoomRLf0035.png

Lets try starting with intuition this time.
DoomRLf0036.png

Lucker 1 didn't live up to his name very well... But holy fuck, we found a unique?
DoomRLf0037.png

Geez, thats kind of brutal for a first enemy to fight. We go straight to level 2 from this one kill.
DoomRLf0038.png

This is why intuition is damned useful. The awareness range isn't mapwide, but it's a good deal bigger than our vision, and goes through walls. We can do cheesy shit like blast the guy below us in the dark while he can't fire back.
DoomRLf0039.png

Or lure this guy by backing away...
DoomRLf0040.png

And then circle around him sicne we know exactly where he is.
DoomRLf0041.png

I know this one is an arachnotron, so I'm relectant to pop around the corner. Running dodge should work though.
DoomRLf0042.png

And it does! From here, however, I need to blast him back into the level, so he's going to get some shots off.
DoomRLf0043.png
That hurt like a bitch. I waste a large medkit here.
DoomRLf0044.png

And I say waste because this was right here, and even though I didn't know that, I DID know there weren't any enemyies nearby. I'm so rusty.
DoomRLf0045.png

We found the unique item at last. Of course, a hell baron was wearing it, and it's at 0% thanks to all the hits it took before dying.
DoomRLf0046.png

Level 3 and level safety. We grab hellrunner again.
DoomRLf0047.png

An armor shard gives us a reason to put on the armor, which makes me realize...
DoomRLf0048.png

This shit regenerates itself! I forgot that. This is a huge benefit for us.
DoomRLf0049.png

Look how fast we move now.
DoomRLf0050.png

And we're even faster if we run.
DoomRLf0051.png

Many floors to go still however.
DoomRLf0052.png

That is not a door worth going through. We close it to discourage anyone from wandering through.
DoomRLf0053.png

The other side of the map isn't any friendlier, so lets go to the vaults. Vaults are safe, right?
DoomRLf0054.png

Well, the outside of them is anyways. We got lucky again and a unique spawned here, so it's at least worth a look. The right item could give us the chance to win the game.
DoomRLf0055.png

The vault rooms don't actually have doors. There are a couple ways in, but the only one we have acess to is using a handful of rockets on a weakspot in the wall.

DoomRLf0057.png

However, I forgot where exactly that spot is and used all our rockets and most of our health finding the damned thing. :rage:
DoomRLf0058.png

Luckily we just needed the one hole.
DoomRLf0059.png

But it turns out to be a waste. A cleric baretta is NOT worth the fight waiting for us inside there, not even with the other goodies that are in there.
DoomRLf0060.png

Floor 3 starts us off in a damned cavern with arachnotrons near us, and we need to phase right away to have a chance. But wait, what is that delight poo covered object floating over to our left?
DoomRLf0061.png

This is what we needed. Although it's a pity we don't have the badass trait, our extra health is going to trickle away.
DoomRLf0062.png

Or get blasted away, since the next floor is ANOTHER damned arachnotron cave. Bastards.
DoomRLf0063.png

I take a few out but eventually have to bail. We can at least dodge most shots as long as we aren't in a crossfire.
DoomRLf0064.png

Between the armor, the boots, and the running (half terrain damage while running) we can actually cross this lava at a cost of only 2 hp per step. A bargain considering the alternatives.
DoomRLf0065.png

Berserk pack at the end of the cave enar the stairs will help us get through level 5 before we even find an enemy.
DoomRLf0066.png

DoomRLf0067.png

Level 6. Honestly, didn't expect to get this far. We're almost there. I take the teleporter since there might be a mancubus beyond tht wall, which would really fuck our shit up quickly.
DoomRLf0068.png

It puts us between 2 of them instead. :roll: But this is actually a good thing, since we can dodge while they blast eachother. I knock one guy into the lava to speed things along.
DoomRLf0069.png

both levels of hellrunner now. We're insanely fast while running, and circle right next to the enemy and blast him into the lava before he can shoot us.
DoomRLf0070.png

And we do it again, here.
DoomRLf0071.png

Level 7 baby! Just one floor left.
DoomRLf0072.png

DoomRLf0073.png

We find a rocket launcher. Which is nice, since we have a ton of missile from all the mancubi.
DoomRLf0074.png

Not so ncie is that it's now our primary weapon, since the shotgun is out of shells. Oops.
DoomRLf0075.png

Yeah we can't handle that shit.
DoomRLf0076.png

DoomRLf0077.png

I shit you not, I used the phase device from like, 2 steps west and 1 south of here. The enemies right there are so dangerous I ouldn't even risk trying for the one on the ground.
DoomRLf0078.png

Our dodging is useless in this hallway, and we fail yet again. That stupid failed teleport. I looked at the mortem map too, and the stairs were on the other side of the level, with like 5 mancubi and 2 archvilles forming a wall in between. No way we could have foguht past that, especially with a rocket launcher.
DoomRLf0079.png

Bragging time! Actually, I just want to show off all these screens. The game keeps track of a ton of cool shit. Fuck, we need to kill hell knights in melee for our next rank? I want that rank pretty bad though =/
DoomRLf0080.png

Challenges you've completed, or attempted. I've attempted more than that but lost a large chunk of my old records.
DoomRLf0081.png

Medals are just random achievement things. These ones are displayed even if you don't have them. Some are pretty damned easy to get, others are insane.
DoomRLf0082.png

These ones are secrets. Again, some are quite easy (hence why I have 16 Hell Champion Medals) while others not so much (clearing the mortuary is a bitch.)
DoomRLf0083.png

Keeps track of rare items too. Theres more at the top and below, but I didn't want to spoil more than necessary. Again, the lower ones are secret until you've found them.
DoomRLf0084.png

Assemblies. Again, common ones are higher up, but I didn't want to spoil you with an assload of them, and I have most of the basic ones learned. There are master assemblies as well, which take 4 mods.
DoomRLf0085.png

Badges unlock your marine rank, which in turn unlocks challenges. Though you don't need many to unlock all the challenges. Bronze badges are pretty easy,
DoomRLf0086.png

Diamond badges as for people who are insane or ought to buy lottery tickets. Really, win the game using only fists and get 100% kills? Yeah I'll get right on that.

Next update I'll try doing a max carnage run.

Damned Registrations

Don't worry, I'm pretty good at doing MC runs. And now I know what to expect a bit better from some of the changes. Odds of seeing the last few special levels on the next run are quite good. Though I'll also probably skip a bunch of the ones we've already seen. Spider Lair in particular is just crazy on that challenge.

Damned Registrations

There will be moar. We are not done yet. Though this LP is indeed melting my bandwidth. I'll need to either format the images differently or acquire another/differemt service to host them. The way photobucket keeps track of my bandwidth allowance is (intentionally, I'm sure) very obfuscated, but I'm apparently at 7.5GB of 10GB. Presumably for the month.

Damned Registrations

Yeah the fucked filenames would drive me crazy trying to put together the LP.

I might just make my photobucket account paid. It's like 2$ a month for unlimited bandwidth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom