Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play - Dragon Age: Origins (finished)

Whom to choose as a companion at the endgame. Options are mutually exclusive.

• Alistair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Loghain

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Radisshu said:
RK47 said:
All roads end up towards the grey warden. As if the Right of Conscription has some sord of 'Magic' to bind you to Duncan's service.

That's the thing that has turned me off this game. Why the fuck can't I just say no? Choosing which factions to join and cooperate with were always some of my favourite RPG questlines.

Do you think this is Geneforge boy?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
RK47 said:
All roads end up towards the grey warden. As if the Right of Conscription has some sord of 'Magic' to bind you to Duncan's service.

Not much wrong with all roads ending at Grey Wardens. Yes, it does cut out the whole "faction-based gameplay" for a good bit of the game, but it's just the nature of the beast.

The whole "you're being conscripted!" thing is...somewhat weak, but I don't know of a lot of superior alternatives, do you? They could have tried mixing it up a bit with specific situations per origin, but in the end you kind of have to give the player 0 choice to advance the nice linear plot.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Orzammar Prison.
Looks like we have a visitor.

exile-prisoner.jpg

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I.. I would have come sooner had they allowed it. How are you?

face-bro.jpg
Bro: My plans are in ruins. How do you think I am?

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I understand. It's going to get worse, though.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Bhelen has taken Trian's place in the Assembly. He introduced a motion to condemn you immediately, and it easily passed.

OMG NEVER SAW IT COMING I PROMISE HONEST :shock:

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: He... had fully half the Assembly ready to vote on something against tradition and justice!

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: He must have been making deals and alliances for months, if not years.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I'm going to kill him.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I don't know that you'll get that chance.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: The Assembly has already sentenced both of us.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: There must be a way to fight this.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: If so, I can't imagine what it is.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: My knighthood will be stripped, my name torn from my family records... but I will be allowed to attempt some sort of life on the surface.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Lord Harrowmont moved for a similar exile for you, but Bhelen's supporters overwhelmed him.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: You're to be sealed in the Deep Roads to fight darkspawn until you are overwhelmed and killed.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: The cowards weren't strong enough to kill me themselves.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: That may have been Bhelen's first mistake.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Lord Harrowmont gave me access to see you so I could tell you this:

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Duncan and the Grey Wardens are still in the Deep Roads, in tunnels connected to those you are to be left in.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: If you survive long enough to find the Grey Wardens, you may be able to escape with Duncan.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: The Grey Wardens would take an exile, a murderer?

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: The Grey Wardens don't care about a person's past. They recruit for daring, intelligence, and martial power.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: If you can find them, I'm sure you can join them and escape the Deep Roads.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Only darkspawn between me and freedom?

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Bhelen underestimated you. Much as we underestimated him.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I begged up to go with you and fight at your side, but Bhelen's pet nobles wouldn't hear of it.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I wish you were going to be at my side, as well.

Yeah, I could always find a use for a warm body in these cold, damp caverns :smug:

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I'm going to try to go to Denerim, the human capital. If you make it out, find me.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Count on it.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: Our time is up. May the Paragons guide your sword and the Stone hold you up.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: The same to you, my friend.

face-gorim.jpg
Gorim: I will always be your man, my Lord Aeducan.

:emo: *sniff* *sniff*

face-prisonguard.jpg
Guard: They are ready for you now.

Exile

exile-harrowmont.jpg

face-prisonguard.jpg
Guard: Here is the prisoner, Lord Harrowmont.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Having been found guilty of fratricide by the Assembly of Orzammar, you are hereby sentenced to exile and death.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Your name is, from this point forward, stripped form the records. You are no longer a person, nor a memory.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: You are to be cast into the Deep Roads with only sword and shield, there to redeem your life by fighting the enemies of Orzammar until your death.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Do you have anything to say before the sentence is carried out.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I will have my revenge.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: I understand your anger. Yuo should have been allowed to defend yourself. Had I the power to stop this, I would have.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Look me in the eye and tell me you didn't this. For your father's sake.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I did it and I enjoyed it.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Then your father was wrong about you. You are a villain and I suspect your younger brother is just as bad.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Soldier, hand the accused your sword and shield.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: Open the doors and let the condemned walk through.

face-lordharrowmont.jpg
Lord Harrowmont: May the Stone accept you when you fall.

And the gates were closed.

exile-gatesclosing.jpg

The spider was the first to greet Lord Bro.

exile-spiderweb.jpg

Suprisingly, the darkspawn were very few in numbers.

exile-gore.jpg

But traps... Bawww, that hurts!
exile-paininthelegs.jpg

At least Bro looted a decent armor as an compersation.

exile-armorfound.jpg

He turned to the easternmost tunnels to find more gear. Stalkers tried to ambush him with a predictable result.

exile-stalkers.jpg

Behind them there were boots. Fuck yeah. :)

exile-bootsfound.jpg

Some time after Bro reached the road and encountered Grey Wardens.

exile-meetgreywardens.jpg

face-greywarden.jpg
Grey Warden: By the Maker, it's a dwarf!

Captain Obvious approves.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Lord Aeducan!

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: What are you doing here alone? Where are your troops?

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I am Lord Aeducan no longer.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Ah. You have been made to walk the Deep Roads, then.

face-greywarden.jpg
Grey Warden: You mean you were exiled? What happened?

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I do not think matters of dwarven honor are any business of ours. You need not answer, friend.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I was betrayed by my brother.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Lord Trian?

face-bro.jpg
Bro: No, Bhelen. Trian is dead.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I see. The brutal intrigue of the dwarven court continues, then. Your father intimated as much.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I will not ask what happened. You are the child of my old friend, and do not deserve to die in this pit.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: You have already proved yourself both resourceful and skilled, and I would expect nothing less from an Aeducan.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I have been searching for those with your level of ability. Your exploits in the Deep Roads set you apart.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: As leader of the Grey Wardens in Ferelden, I would like to formally invite you to join our order.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Well, I can't see as I have much choice.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Then welcome.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: We leave immediately for Ostagar to join with the human forces facing the darkspawn hordes, led by King Cailan.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Stay close. There are still darkspawn around every corner...

To Ostagar!

ostagar-cutscene1.jpg

ostagar-cutscene2.jpg

ostagar-cutscene3.jpg

ostagar-cutscene4.jpg

ostagar-cutscene5.jpg

ostagar-cutscene6.jpg

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Ho there, Duncan!

Ho there, dumbfuck!

ostagar-meetking.jpg

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: King Cailan? I didn't expect---

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: A royal welcome? I was beginning to worry you'd miss all the fun!

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Not if I could help it, your Majesty.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Then I'll have the mighty Duncan at my side in battle after all! Glorious! The other Wardens told me you've found a promising recruit. I take this is he?

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Allow me to introduce you, your Majesty.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: No need to be so formal, Duncan. We'll be shedding blood together, after all. Ho there, friend! Might I know your name?

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I'm no friend of yours, human lord.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: (Chuckles) You've got yourself a lively one, Duncan. And I was beginning to think the Wardens were all stodgy priests.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: It's good to see one of the honorable stout folk outside Orzammar.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Leaving Orzammar wasn't my idea, really.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Sounds like there's story behind that. You must regale me with it sometime.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Don't you have a battle to fight, first?

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I meant after we defeat the Blight, of course. I doubt Loghain will give me a moment's rest until then.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I've been to Orzammar. King Endrin invited my father to a Grand Proving, long ago. How does Endrin fare these days?

face-bro.jpg
Bro: I'm his son... and he was fine when I saw him last.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Well... it seems your story may be even more interesting that I suspected.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Allow me to be the first to welcome you to Ostagar. The Wardens will benefit greatly with you in their ranks.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Your welcome means nothing to me, human lord.

I mock him right in the front of his people yet he does nothing. What a pathetic excuse of a king (s)he is.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I remind you that you speak to the king of Ferelden!

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Don't worry, Duncan. You must both be eager to reach your tents. Have you any news before I go?

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Your uncle sends his greetings and reminds you that Redcliffe forces could be here in less that a week.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Ha! Eamon just wants in on the glory. We've won three battles against these monsters and tomorrow should be no different.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: You sound very confident of that.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Overconfident, some would say. Right, Duncan? (Laughs)

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Your Majesty, I'm not certain the Blight can be ended quite as... quickly as you might wish.

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I'm not even sure this is a true Blight. There are plenty of darkspawn on the field, but alas, we've seen no sign of an archdemon.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Disappointed, your Majesty?

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I'd hoped for a war like in the tales! A king riding with the fabled Grey Wardens aginst a tainted god! But I suppose this will have to do.

/facepalm

face-kingcailan.jpg
dumbfuck.gif

face-kingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I must go before Loghain sends out a search party. Farewell, Grey Wardens!

ostagar-bows.jpg

Cailan leaves.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: What the king said is true. They've won several battles against the darkspawn here.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: He didn't seem to take the darkspawn very seriously.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: True.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: I know there is an archdemon behind this. But I cannot ask the king to act solely on my feeling.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: You could if he were not such a fool.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: You must not speak of the king so. He is... over-eager, perhaps, but he is also one of the few Grey Warden allies.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Our numbers in Ferelden are too few. We must do what we can and look to Teyrn Loghain to make up the difference.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: To that end, we should proceed with the Joining ritual without delay.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: A hot meal might be nice, first.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: (Chuckles) I agree! We have until nightfall to begin the ritual.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Every recruit must go through a secret ritual we call the Joining in order to become a Grey Warden.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: The ritual is brief, but some preparation is required. We must begin soon.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Why is this ritual so secret?

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: The Joining is dangerous. I cannot speak more of it except to say that you will learn all in good time. Until then, you must trust what is done is necessary.

face-bro.jpg
Bro: Wonderful. Let's get this over with, then.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Feel free to explore the camp here as you wish. All I ask is that you do not leave it for the time being.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: There is another Grey Warden in the camp by the name of Alistair. When you are ready, seek him out and tell him it's time to summon the other recruits.

face-duncan.jpg
Duncan: Until then, I have business I must attend to. You may find me at the Grey Warden tent on the other side of this bridge, should you need to.

Blahblahblah and the origin story are over.

Blablablaover.jpg

J1M

Arcane
I'm so tired of these LP threads that don't grasp the basic concept.

You are supposed to make the game more entertaining with witty commentary about what is happening. If you aren't going to do that, just upload a FRAPS video of you playing the game and save yourself all the copypasta.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Grey Warden: By the Maker, it's a dwarf!
Captain Obvious approves."

L0LZ

I see even thoguh youa re playing a bad guy, you still couldn't got rhough with being an insult to Gorim. Heh.

"I'm so tired of these LP threads that don't grasp the basic concept.

You are supposed to make the game more entertaining with witty commentary about what is happening. If you aren't going to do that, just upload a FRAPS video of you playing the game and save yourself all the copypasta."

STFU! He's doing awesome. I went through this origin as a 'good guy' so I want to see how things vary now. Plus, i've alreadys een one thing i've missed my first play through so that's kewl.

OIn conclusion, STFU.

Good job, Twinkle. :idea:

Radisshu

Prophet
SCO said:
Radisshu said:
RK47 said:

That's the thing that has turned me off this game. Why the fuck can't I just say no? Choosing which factions to join and cooperate with were always some of my favourite RPG questlines.

Do you think this is Geneforge boy?

PS: T, Fallout 1 and 2, BG2, MotB, and even NWN2 all had faction-choosing plot hooks.

Radisshu

Prophet
J1M said:

You are supposed to make the game more entertaining with witty commentary about what is happening. If you aren't going to do that, just upload a FRAPS video of you playing the game and save yourself all the copypasta.

I always prefer screenshot LPs over video LPs, no matter the game, and I'm not alone.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
J1M said:

V principe da. But it's not like these fairly commentary-free LPs don't work as well, especially if you've got a strong angle, like being a dick.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
This one definitely works.
Good choice of a character portrait.It reminds me of an acquaintance of mine, which, in combination with the evil approach, makes reading this LP a hilarious experience for me.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Guard that had been obviously imported from Tamriel offered his quest compass services.

ostagarbridgeguard.jpg

facebridgeguard.jpg
Soldier: This place hasn't seen such bustle in centuries, I'll wager. Need a hand getting somewhere?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'm looking for a Grey Warden named Alistair.

facebridgeguard.jpg
Soldier: Try heading north. I think he was sent with a message to the mages.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'll be on my way.

facebridgeguard.jpg
Soldier: Good luck to you then.

The Chantry, well, chants.
ostagarsermon.jpg

Here Alistair tried hard at trolling mage dude.
ostagaralisairtrolling.jpg

facemage.jpg
Mage: What is it now? Haven't Grey Wardens asked more than enough of the Circle?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I simply came to deliver a message form the revered mother, ser mage. She desires your presence.

facemage.jpg
Mage: What her Reverence "desires" is of no concern to me! I am busy helping the Grey Wardens--by the king's orders, I might add!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Should I have asked her to write a note?

facemage.jpg
Mage: Tell her I will not be harassed in this manner!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Yes, I was harassing you by delivering a message.

facemage.jpg
Mage: Your glibness does you no credit.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Here I thought we were getting along so well. I was even going to name one one of my children after you... the grumpy one.

facemage.jpg
Mage: Enough. I will speak to the woman if I must! Get out of my way, fool!

(Mage leaves.)

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: You know, one good thing about the Blight is how it brings people together.

facebron.jpg
Bro: You are a very strange human.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: You're not the first to tell me that.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Wait, we haven't met, have we? I don't suppose you happen to be another mage?

facebron.jpg
Bro: How can a dwarf be a mage?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: You never know. These mage sneak up on you.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Wait, I do know who you are. You're Duncan's new recruit, from Orzammar.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I should have recognized you right away. I apologize.

facebron.jpg
Bro: And you must be Alistair.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Did Duncan mention me? Nothing bad, I hope.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: As the junior memeber of the order, I'll be accompanying you when you prepare for the Joining.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I can't prepare on my own?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I know. I felt the same way when I did this. Unfortunately, they don't give us much choice.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Hmm. There haven't been any dwarven Grey Wardens in some time. You must know a lot about darkspawn.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Nobody knows much about them. You kill them.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: That's a sound policy, to be sure. But the Grey Wardens have always believed it's important to know your enemy. To know them is to know how to destroy them.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Anyhow, whenever you're ready let's head back to Duncan. I imagine he's eager to get things started.

facebron.jpg
Bro: You don't have to accompany me, do you?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Don't worry; I'll try not to embarass you.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Let's go.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: If you have any questions, let me know. Otherwise, lead on!

Near quartermaster's tent Bro met another talkative dude who happened to be GW recruit.

ostagarqusrtermaster.jpg

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Well, you're not what I thought you'd be.

facebron.jpg
Bro: What's that supposed to mean?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Oh, me and ser knight were just betting on what's the third recruit would be.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Not a dwarf. Yet there you are.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: The name's Daveth. It's about bloody time you came along. I was beginning to think they cooked this ritual up just for our benefit.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Isn't that a little paranoid?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Ha! That depends on what kind of life you've led. Me, I'm perfectly willing to accept that this Joining is some kind of punishment.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: I happened to be sneaking around camp last night, see, and I heard a couple of Grey Wardens talking. So I listen in for a bit.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: I'm thinking they plan to send us into the Wilds.

facebron.jpg
Bro: So what? That wouldn't frighten me.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Cannibals, beasts, witches, and now darkspawn? What isn't to be scared of?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: It's all too secretive for me. Makes my nose twitch.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: I guess we'll have to wait and see. Like we have a choice.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'll watch your back if you watch mine.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: I suppose I could do that.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Anyway, I expect it's time to get back to Duncan. That's where I'll be, if you need me for anything.

facequartermaster.jpg
Quartermaster: Have you seen an elf running about? Young woman, red hair? Carrying a suit of chain?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Can't say I have, no.

facequartermaster.jpg
Quartermaster: Blast it, where duid she go? That suit better be patches up when she gets back, or by the Maker, Ill--

facequartermaster.jpg
Quartermaster: Ah, pardon my manners. My troubles are no concerns of yours, I'm sure. I'm the quartermaster... Did you come for supplies?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Do you need help tracking this girl down?

facequartermaster.jpg
Quartermaster: I'm sure you have better things to do than run errands for me. I can find her myself.

The game wants us to believe that there won't be any stupid errand quests.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Let me see what you have.

facequartermaster.jpg
Quartermaster: Let me know what you'd like.

We dropped some junk here

ostagartrade.jpg

There was a prisoner in a cage to the west.

ostagarcage.jpg

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: Heh.. someone finally comes and talks to the lone prisoner? I don't suppose you've come to sentence me.

facebron.jpg
Bro: And if I have?

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: I doubt I'm that lucky.

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: I don't suppose you have a bit of kindness in you? All I want is food and water. They haven't fed me since I was locke dup, and I'm starving.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Why would I want to help you?

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: Because you might want something I don't need. Them Circle wizards got a chest they keep things in, magical things... and I stole the key.

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: That's why I'm here. I got one of them drunk, took his key, and to tried to sneak to the chest. They assumed I was deserting.

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: I can't use it from here, but I'd trade you for some food and water.

facebron.jpg
Bro: They didn't find the key when you were arrested?

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: I swallowed it. But it's... uhhhh... come back into my possession since then so to speak.

facebron.jpg
Bro: That's disgusting!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: And an excellent party trick, I'll bet.

Wow, that's what I call pushing boundaries on dark and mature front...

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: Yeah, well, do you want the key or not?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'll take that. (Kill him and take the key.) :twisted:

ostagarprisonerkilled.jpg

faceprisoner.jpg
Prisoner: What?! But... you can't do that?! Aaah! Guard!!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I did not see that coming.

Alistair disapproves(-5)

faceprisonguard.jpg
Guard: What?! What in Andraste's name did you do that for?

faceprisonguard.jpg
Guard: Just because yer a Grey Warden doesn't give you the right to go and kill anyone you please! Explain yerself!

FACT: It does. :wink:

facebron.jpg
Bro: I don't have to explain myself to you.

faceprisonguard.jpg
Guard: You'll have to explain yerself to someone.

faceprisonguard.jpg
Guard: Well, no skin off my teeth. When they ask me why he's dead, that's what I'll tell them.

Shithole key is useless right now.

ostagarchest.jpg

At the center of the map.

ostagarkennel.jpg

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Hmmm. This isn't good. I'd hate to waste such a promising memeber of the breed.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Are you the new Warden? I could use some help.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Why would I help you?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: This beast is in the king's service, just like you and I.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: This is a mabari. Smart breed, and strong. His owner died in the last battle, and the poor hound swallowed darkspawn blood.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: I have medicine that might help, but I need him muzzled first.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Maybe you can help him, Alistair.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Nope. Dogs and I don't get along. You do it, if you're so eager. Leave me out of it.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Why do you think I could muzzle him?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: You're a Grey Warden, or soon will be. All Wardens are immune tot the darkspawn taint.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: The most you have to worry about is some tooth marks.

Cowards.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Just how smart is this dog?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Centuries ago, a mage bred them to be smart and understand what they're told. They can remember and carry out complex orders.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Most valuable dogs in the world. Trouble is they generally imprint to one master; re-imprinting them is very difficult.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: But without the medicine re-imprinting won't be and issue. Will you help?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Could he be imprinted to me?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: We can try. But first we need to muzzle and medicate him.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'll give it a shot.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Go in the pen and let him smell you. We'll know right away if he'll respond.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Let's hope this works. I would really hate to have to put him down.

ostagardoggystyle.jpg

Sick Mabari: (The dog looks up at you respectfully, back down from his aggressive stance. You can see intelligence in his eyes, as well as a great deal of pain. This animal is very ill.)

facebron.jpg
Bro: (Put the muzzle on the dog.)

Sick Mabari: (The mabari growls weakly, but does not challenge you. After you are done, he whimpers plaintively.)

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Well done! How I can treat the dog properly--poor fellow.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Come to think of it, are you heading into the Wirlds any time soon?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'm here for the battle. Nothing else.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Aren't we all? Still, you'll get closer to the Wilds than I will, I suspect.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: There's a particular herb I could use to improve the dog's chances. It's a flower that grows in the swamps here, if I remember.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: If you happen across it, I could use it. It's very distinctive: all white with a blood-red center.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Do you think I have nothing better to do?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: We're all busy. As it is, if we can get this hound better, we can re-imprint him on someone. Even you, if you like.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Will the dog be all right without it?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: If he doesn't get it, chnces are he'll need to be put down.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'll see if I can find one.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Good. In the meantime, I'll begin treating our poor friend.

Back to Duncan

ostagarwardenfire.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: You found Alistair, did you? Good. I'll assume you are ready to begin preparations.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Assuming, of course, that you're quite finished riling up mages, Alistair.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: What can I say? The revered mother ambushed me. The way she wields guilt they should stick her in the army.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: She forced you to sass the mage, did she? We cannot afford to antagonize anyone, Alistair. We don't need to give more ammunition against us.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I apologize, Duncan. I'll go collect who we're missing.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: This is Ser Jory, a knight from Redcliffe.

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: How do you do?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: And this of course is the recruit that Duncan said he was bringing.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Can we get on with this?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Yes, let us begin.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: You four will be heading into the Korcari Wilds to perform two tasks. The first is to obtain three vials of darkspawn blood, one for each recruit.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Surely you could've acquired some blood before now.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Of course. You must work together to collect the components, however. It is as much a part of the Joining as what comer after.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Finally! Some action!

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: (Laughs) Without a doubt. Darkspawn aren't renowned for their willingness to offer up their blood.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: There was once a Grey Warden archive in the Wilds, abandoned long ago when we could no longer afford to maintain such remote outposts.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: It has recently come to our attention that some scrolls have been left behind, magically sealed to protect them. Alistair, I want you to retrieve these scrolls if you can.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Find the archive and three vials of blood. Understood.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: The scrolls contain treaties promising support. Treaties that may prove valuable in the days to come.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Watch over your charges, Alistair. Return quickly, and safely.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: We will.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Then may the Maker watch over your path. I will see you when you return.

We overheard a dialogue with a messenger by the name Pick.

ostagarelfloser.jpg

facepick.jpg
Elven Messenger: Hello? I'm sorry is there something you needed?

facebron.jpg
Bro: What do you mean?

facepick.jpg
Elven Messenger: I deliver messages around the camp. You have a message for me?

facebron.jpg
Bro: (Lie) Yes, I do.

Dialogue checks start getting useful.

facepick.jpg
Elven Messenger: Then what is--? Oh, wait! Are you the one I'm supposed to give Ser Garlen's sword to? Because I think the smith's done with it.

facebron.jpg
Bro: (Persuade) Yes, you're supposed to give sword to me.

facepick.jpg
Elven Messenger: Oh, that's such a relief! You really saved me form the switch, for sure!

facepick.jpg
Elven Messenger: I'd best get back to my duties again before I get in more trouble.

Finally, the gates.
ostagargatetowilds.jpg

facegatesguard.jpg
Soldier: Hail!

facegatesguard.jpg
Soldier: I'm told you all have business in the Wilds. The gate's open for you... just be careful out there. Even a Grey Warden won't be safe in the forest tonight.

So, we have an incompetent king, cowardly kennel masters, dumb messengers and lazy guards. No wonder that the darkspawn are going to rape 'em hard.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I somehow missed the elf messenger thing. Did you get the sword, and how good is it for that part of the game?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In other words, nice LP!

Damnit! You're making me want to experience this first-hand..
What kind of unholy brain-voodoo are you working on me? :shock:

Twinkle

Liturgist
Sword's properties:
garlensword.jpg

Korcari Wilds is a pure combat area.

Bro has dual weapons, Alistair is proficient with sword and shield, Jory - with two-handers and Daveth is a rogue, sadly without lockpicking skills.

The first fight with a pack of wolves

korcariwolves.jpg

Missionary's body lies nearby with a letter on it

koracarideadjogby.jpg
]

Recon squad was almost wiped out... almost

korcaridyingsoldier.jpg

korcaridyingsoldier2.jpg

facedyingsoldier.jpg
Dying Soldier: Who... is that? Grey... Wardens...?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Well, he's not half as dead as he look, is he?

That can easily be fixed :smug:

facedyingsoldier.jpg
Dying Soldier: My scouting band was attacked by darkspawn.

facedyingsoldier.jpg
Dying Soldier: They came out of the ground... Please help me! I've got to... return to camp...

facebron.jpg
Bro: We don't have time for this. Let's go.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: "We don't have time?" What, you have an urgent meeting somewhere?

facebron.jpg
Bro: He's already dead. See? (Kill the soldier). :twisted:

korcarisoldierkilled.jpg

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Does the word "insane" mean anything to you?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I prefer the term "ruthless", myself.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Remind me not to get injured anywhere near you.

Alistair disapproves (-3)

*Shrugs*. They'll all die soon, anyway.

And here's a magic flower for our dog.

korcaridogsflower.jpg

First bunch of darkspawn to the south

korcarifirstdarkspawn.jpg

Moving further south there is a camp full of darkspawn

koracristealth.jpg

korcaricampdarkspawn.jpg

Nasty fuckers, especially archers with fire arrows. Anyway, we've collected enough blood.

There is a chest in the camp, which contains papers mentioning another missionary.

korcarichestcamp.jpg

Chasind trail signs is another "find a hidden cache" quest.

korcaritrailsign1.jpg

I will not go on detail on this one because location of a next sign is always pointed on the map.
Near other sign we run into rogue ambush. So much for a darkspawn sense ability.

korcarirogueambush.jpg

Moving further there is an another chest with cache and a bunch of wolves guarding it

korcarinaughtyboy.jpg

Naughty boy, what are you trying to do?

Here is the cache.

korcariironchest.jpg

korcariironchestcontent.jpg

A sign of warning for the intruders.

korcarihanged.jpg

Hurlock emissary on the bridge. Runs away after the first hit...
korcarihurrdurr.jpg

to lead you into a pretty nasty ambush full of traps...

korcarirogueambush2.jpg

but nothing can stand in Bro's way.

korcarihurlockdies.jpg

On the body of one the dead soldiers there are a pinch of ashes and journal, which trigger another mini-quest.

korcariashesfound.jpg

korcariashescodex.jpg

Described location is very close.
korcarirocks.jpg

korcarirocktxt.jpg

Pile of Stones: (You see a pile of stones covered in a fine layer of dust and ash.)
Bro: (Sprinkle more ash on the pile of stones.)

That summons demon, who is a pathetic weakling despite his elite ranking.

korcarigazarath.jpg

We are close to our quest target. The only obstacle are darkspawn.

korcariuphillbattle.jpg

korcariuphillbattle2.jpg

The cache is in a shitty state.

korcariwardencache.jpg

"Surprise" encounter.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Well, well, what have we here?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Are you a vulture, I wonder? A scavenger poking amidst a corpse whose bones was long since cleaned?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Or merely an intruder, come into the darkspawn-filled Wilds of mine in search of easy prey?

korcarimorriganintro.jpg

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: What say you, hmm? Scavenger or intruder?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Intruder? And just how are these your Wilds?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: (Chuckles) Because I know them as only one who owns them could. Can you claim the same?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I have watched your progress for some time. "Where do they go", I wondered, "why are they here?"

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Don't answer her. She looks Chasind, and that means others may be nearby.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: You fear barbarians will swoop down upon you?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Yes, swooping is bad.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: She's a Witch of the Wilds, she is! She'll turn us into toads!

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Witch of the Wilds? Such idle fancies, those legends. Have you no minds of your own?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: You there, dwarf. You have nothing to fear from any witch. Tell me your name and I shall tell you mine. Let us be civilized.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Forget it! You first.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Very well, preserve your mystery if you desire. You may call me Morrigan.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Shall I guess your purpose? You sought something in that chest, something that is here no longer?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: "Here no longer?" You stole them, didn't you? You're... some kind of... sneaky... witch-thief!

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: How very eloquent. How does one steal from dead men?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Quite easily, it seems. Those documents are Grey Warden property, and I suggest you return them.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I will not, for 'twas nit I who removed them. Invoke a name that means nothing here any longer if you wish; I am not threatened.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Tell us at once, or face the consequences.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: 'Twas my mother, in fact.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Is this a joke?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: If so, it seems the truthful rather than funny sort, no?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Great! She's a thieving, weird-talking, funny sort of witch.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Not all in the Wilds are monsters. Flowers grow, as well as toads.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: If you wish, I will take you to my mother. 'Tis not far from here, and you may ask her for your papers, if you like.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: We should get those treaties, but I dislike this... Morrigan's sudden appearance. It's too convenient.

Bro wanted to clear the level before moving forward.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I say we look around more.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: As you wish. And I shall watch. Should you change your mind, I can take you to her later.

A welcome sight: wolves fighting darkspawn

korcariwolvesvsdarkspaw.jpg

We need only to beat down the remnants.

korcariremnant.jpg

Here lies another body which starts another "find a hidden cache" quest.

korcaririgbybody.jpg

Here is the Chasind cache which becomes accessible only after seeing all signs.

korcarichasindcache.jpg

korcaricachecontents.jpg

Back to Morrigan.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Your treaties yet remain with my mother. When you wish to go, I will take you to her.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Here's a thought: Why don't we wait here, and you go and fetch them?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I do not "fetch". If you wish to ask about your precious treaties, then come. Otherwise, stay.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I say we go with her.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: She'll put us all in the pot, she will. Just you watch.

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: If the pot's warmer that this forest, it'd be a nice change.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Follow me, then, if it pleases you.

Near Flemeth's hut

flemshut.jpg

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Greetings, Mother. I bring before you four Grey Wardens who--

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: I see them, girl. Mmm. Much as I expected.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Are we supposed to believe you were expecting us?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You are required to do nothing, least of all believe. Shut one's eyes tight or open one's arms wide... either way, one's fool!

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: She's a witch, I tell you! We shouldn't be talking to her!

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: Quiet, Daveth! If she's really a witch, do you want to make her mad?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: There is a smart lad. Sadly irrelevant to the larger scheme of things, but it is not I who decides. Believe what your will.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: And what of you? Does your dwarven mind give you a different viewpoint? What do you believe?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I believe you're crazy and possibly dangerous.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Is that all! Surely your mind stretches farther than these surroundings!

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: So much about you is uncertain... and yet I believe. Do I? Why, it seems I do!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: So this is a dreaded Witch of the Wilds.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Witch of the Wilds, eh? Morrigan must have told you that. She fancies such tales, though she would never admit it! Oh, how she dances under the moon! (Laughs)

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: They did not come to listen to your wild tales, Mother.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: True, thay came for their treaties, yes? And before you begin barking, your precious seal wore off long ago. I have protected these.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: You... oh. You protected them?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: And why not? Take them to your Grey Wardens and tell them this Blight's threat is greater that they realize!

She hands over treaties.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'm sure they'll be eager to act on your advice.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Well, I cannot be responsible for their doubts. I would go mad! Or am I already? (Laughs)

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Oh, do not mind me. You have what you came for?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Time for you to go, then.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Do not be ridiculous, girl. These are your guests.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Oh, very well. I will show you out of the woods. Follow me.

Ostagar. Oh, wait I forgot about one of the "Find a hidden cache" quests.
At the darkspawn camp.

korcarihcache.jpg

korcarihcache2.jpg

Hidden Cache: (You rummage around in the rubble and find Rigby's secret cache. Inside is an iron lockbox sealed with wax.)

Bro: (Open the lockbox and keep the contents.)

Hidden Cache: (You open the lockbox. Inside is an amulet and note from Rigby.)

Now it's truly over.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Horny helm from the Wilds:

joininghorny.jpg

Let’s finish quests before proceeding to the Joining ritual.
First, we’ll heal our dog.

joinnigkennelmasters.jpg

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: The mabari is stable for now, but not improving. Unless I get that herb I told you about, there's not much hope.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Is this the flower you're looking for?

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Let me see... yes, that's exactly it, wonderful! Give me a moment and I'll make this into an ointment.

Cut

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: He looks better already. I'm sure he'd thank you himself, if he could.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I'd prefer thanks in the form of payment.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Payment? Isn't it worth something to save a valiant hound's life?

facebron.jpg
Bro: If the hound's life is worth anything, then pay up. Now.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: I see. I have... fifty silver? That's my own purse, and I've nothing more. I hope it will suffice.

You won’t need money soon, dumb NPC.

facekennelmaster.jpg
Kennel Master: Now, I must get onto the task of taking care of the poor fellow. It will take a day or two for him to recover, I think. Thank you.

Then we’ll open chest with a prisoner’s key.

joinnigmagechest.jpg

joiningmagechestcontent.jpg

Finally, we’ll buy some new backpack space.

joiningtrade.jpg

Time to talk to Duncan

joiningritualstarts.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: So you return from the Wilds. Have you been successful?

facebron.jpg
Bro: We have.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Good. I've had the Circle mages preparing. With the blood you've retrieved, we can begin the Joining immediately.

facebron.jpg
Bro: And what if we have second thoughts?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Let me be very clear on that point. You are not volunteers. Whether you were conscripted or recruited, you were chosen because you are needed.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: There is no turning back now. You must gather your courage for what comes next.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Courage? How much danger are we in?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: I will not lie; we Grey Wardens pay a heavy price to become what we are. Fate may decree that you pay your price now rather than later.

facebron.jpg
Bro: You're saying this ritual can kill us?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: As could any darkspawn you might face in battle. You would not have been chosen, however, if I did not think you had a chance to survive.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Let's go, then. I'm anxious to see this Joining now.

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: I agree. Let's have it done.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Then let us begin. Alistair, take them to the old temple.

Here’s “sekkrit” place anyone can see.

joiningsecritplace.jpg

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: The more I hear about this Joining, the less I like it.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Are you blubbering again?

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: Why all these damned tests? Have I not earned my place?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Maybe it's tradition. Maybe they're just trying to annoy you.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Are all humans such cowards?

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: I only know that my wife is in Highever with a child on the way. If they had warned me... it just doesn't seem fair.

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Would you have come if they'd warned you? Maybe that's why they don't. The Wardens do what they must, right?

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: Including sacrificing us?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: I'd sacrifice a lot more if I knew it would end the Blight.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Will you both shut up?

facedaveth.jpg
Daveth: Yeah, ser knight, try not to wet your trousers until the ritual starts.

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: I've just never faced a foe I could not engage with my blade.

Duncan appears

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: At last we come to the Joining.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: The Grey Wardens were founded during the first Blight, when humanity stood on the verge of annihilation.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: So it was that the first Grey Wardens drank of darkspawn blood and mastered their taint.

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: We're... going to drink the blood of those... those creatures?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: As the first Grey Wardens did before us, as we did before you. This is the source of our power and our victory.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Those who survive the Joining become immune to the taint. We can sense it in the darkspawn and use it to slay the archdemon.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Those who survive?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Not all who drink the blood will survive and those who do are forever changed. This is why the Joining is a secret. It is the price we pay.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: We speak only a few words prior to the Joining, but these words have been said since the first. Alistair, if you would?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Join us, brothers and sisters. Join us in the shadows where we stand, vigilant. Join us as we carry the duty that cannot be forsworn.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: And should you perish, know that your sacrifice will not be forgotten and that one day we shall join you.

joiningdaveth.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Daveth, step forward.

joiningdavethsucks.jpg

joingdavethwhiteeyes.jpg

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: Maker's breath!

joiningdavethdies.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: I'm sorry, Daveth.

FAIL.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Step forward, Jory.

Ser knight loses his shit.

joiningjorycraps.jpg

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: But... I have a wife. A child! Had I known...

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: There is no turning back.

joiningjorycraps2.jpg

faceserjory.jpg
Jory: No! You ask too much! There is no glory in this!

joingjorykilled.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: I'm sorry.

joiningjoryguts.jpg

Duncan shows exxtreme edge of his personality. Even almighty Bro freaks out.

joingbropissedoff.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: But the Joining is not yet complete.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: You are called upon to submit yourself to the taint for the greater good.

joingbrodrinks.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: From this moment forth, you are a Grey Warden.
joingbrowhiteeyes.jpg

I see dragonz! :)

joingdreamarchdemon.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: It is finished. Welcome.

joingbroisgettingup.jpg

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Two more deaths. In my Joining, only one of us died, but it was... horrible. I'm glad at least one of you made it through.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: How do you feel?

facebron.jpg
Bro: Nothing you said prepared me for that.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Such is what it takes to be a Grey Warden.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Did you have dreams? I had terrible dreams after my Joining.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Such dreams come when you begin to sense the darkspawn, as we all do. That and many other things can be explained in the months to come.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Before I forget, there is one last part to your Joining.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: We take some of that blood and put it in a pendant. Something to remind us... to those who didn't make it this far.

He hands it over to Bro.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Take some time. When you are ready, I'd like you to accompany me to a meeting with the king.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Very well.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: The meeting is to the west, down the stairs. Please attend as soon as you are able.

Ritual grants you levelup and a bonus talent point.

joininglevelup.jpg

FACT: Drinking strange liquids until you fall on the floor will make you more experienced and talented. Don’t try that at home.

Meeting point is just a few steps away.

joingwarcouncil.jpg

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Loghain, my decision is final. I will stand by the Grey Wardens in this assault.

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: You risk too much, Cailan! The darkspawn horde is too dangerous for you to be playing hero on the front lines.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: If that's the case, perhaps we should wait for the Orlesian forces to join us, after all.

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: I must repeat my protest to you fool notion that we need Orlesians to defend ourselves!

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: It's not a "fool notion". Our arguments with the Orlesians are a thing of the past... and you will remember who is the king.

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: How fortunate Maric didn’t live to see his son ready to hand Ferelden over to those who enslaved us for a century!

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Then our current forces will have to suffice, won't they? Duncan, are your men ready for battle?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: They are, your Majesty.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: And this is the recruit I met earlier on the road? I understand congratulations are in order.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I didn't have a choice, really.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: I suppose none of us do. But every Grey Warden is needed.

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: Your fascination with glory and legends will be your undoing, Cailan. We must attend to reality.

joiningbattleplans.jpg

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Fine. Speak your strategy. The Grey Wardens and I draw the darkspawn into charging our lines and then...?

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: You will alert the tower to light the beacon, signaling my men to charge from cover.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: To flank the darkspawn, I remember. This is the Tower of Ishal in the ruins, yes? Who shall light this beacon?

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: I have a few men stationed there. It's not a dangerous task, but it is vital.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Then we should our best. Send Alistair and the new Grey Warden to make sure it's done.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I refuse to be sent on errand.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: We need the beacon. Without it, Loghain's men won't know when to charge.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: You see? Glory for everyone!

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: You rely on these Grey Wardens too much. Is that truly wise?

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Enough of your conspiracy theories, Loghain. Grey Wardens battle the Blight, no matter where they're from.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Your Majesty, you should consider the possibility of the archdemon appearing.

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: There have been no signs of any dragons in the Wilds.

[
facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Isn't that what your men are here for, Duncan?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: I... yes, your Majesty.

joiningcounsilmage.jpg

facemage.jpg
Mage: Your Majesty, the Tower and its beacon are unnecessary. The Circle of Magi--

facedumboldbitch.jpg
Dumb Chantry Bitch: We will not trust our lives to your spells, mage! Save them for the darkspawn!

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: Enough! This plan will suffice. The Grey Wardens will light the beacon.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Thanks you, Loghain. I cannot wait for that glorious moment! The Grey Wardens battle beside the king of Ferelden to stem the tide of evil!

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: Yes, Cailan. A glorious moment for us all.

Back in the camp

joingbacktofire.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: You heard the plan. You and Alistair will go the Tower of Ishal and ensure the beacon is lit.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: What? I won't be in the battle?

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: This is by the king's personal request, Alistair. If the beacon is not lit, Teyrn Loghian's men won't know when to charge.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: So he needs two Grey Wardens standing up there holding the torch. Just in case, right?

facebron.jpg
Bro: The last time I got sidelined like this, I ended up exiled.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Ah, but we are far from the politics of Orzammar here, and you have no brothers to interfere this time.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: We must do whatever it makes to destroy the darkspawn... exciting or no.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I get it. I get it. Just so you know, If the king ever asks me to put on a dress and dance the Remigold, I'm drawing the line. Darkspawn or no.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I don't know. That could be a great distraction.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Me shimmying down the darkspawn line? Sure, we could kill them while they roll around laughing.

picard-facepalm.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: (Sigh)

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: The tower is on the other side of the gorge and head through the gate and up to the tower entrance. From the top, you'll overlook the entire valley.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Sounds easy enough.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: We will signal you when the time is right. Alistair will know what to look for.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I know what I have to do.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: Then I must join the others. From here, you two are on your own. Remember, you are both Grey Wardens. I expect you to be worthy of that title.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Duncan... may the Maker watch over you.

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: May He watch over us all.

This is a last time you see Duncan. He’s pretty dumb too: even Alistair can sense an obvious set-up, but Duncan dismissed it.

Bro and Alistair head to the Tower of Ishal only to be interrupted by a pre-rendered cutscene.

joiningmovie1.jpg

joiningmovie2.jpg

joiningmovie3.jpg

joiningmovie4.jpg

faceduncan.jpg
Duncan: The plan will work, you Majesty.

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Of course it will. The Blight ends here.

joiningmovie5.jpg

joingmovie6.jpg

NO WAI, LOL

joiningmovie7.jpg

joiningmovie8.jpg

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Archers!

joiningmovie9.jpg

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: Hounds!

joiningmovie10.jpg

facekingcailan.jpg
King Cailan: For Ferelden!

joiningmovie11.jpg

joiningmovie12.jpg

Ostagarwasaninsidejob.

We'll leave our poor king LARPing battle at the Helm's Deep.

Cutscene off

joiningtehend.jpg

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That battle is still one of the dumbest fukcing things I've ever seen. Only one volley from the archers, and then you send in the hounds? You've got fortifications, yet you HAVE YOUR MEN JUST FUCKING STAND THERE? What is this, the Princess Bride? Oh, and then have a bunch of guys stand on the battlemen firing arrows into the melee? Holy shit.

And the big solution to all this is to have part of the forces flank the enemy? Man, read one too many George Lucas scripts or something? Just like "You have lost, I have the high ground" doesn't make sense, you don't actually win by default when you flank your enemy, especially not one that's too disorganized to have any flanks anyway.

Whole thing kind of made me LOL, which ruins the whole DRAMATIC PORTENT.

Ah well.

Good stuff, keepercomin'

lightbane

Arcane
joing-movie6.jpg

ROFL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The whole scene sounds SO forced and cliche and trying too hard to be epic that surpasses being a lotr ripoff, it's actually an Eragon ripoff (the even more horrible film, that was a ripoff of both Star wars and lotr, so DA it's a ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff). And flanking doesn't eman shit when the enemy is a copy-pasted version of barbarians/orks/insert generic brute fantasy cliche. And that last image explains it all. I understand what it has of "special" Bioware...

Twinkle

Liturgist
BAM!

4172800439_9d75b0796c_o.jpg

We meet a guard and a mage on the other side of the bridge:

4173004035_6c2dfd379a_o.jpg

4173759424_40ffbb4531_o.jpg
Tower Guard: You.. you're Grey Wardens, aren't you? The tower... it's been taken!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: What are you talking about, man? Taken how?

4173759424_40ffbb4531_o.jpg
Tower Guard: The darkspawn came up through the lower chambers! They're everywhere! Most of our men are dead!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: The we have to get to the beacon and light it ourselves!

Huh, it takes a fully armed squad to light a fucking beacon. We turn on flaming weapons mode.
Monsters stand in our way to the tower.
4173004241_f8fd415a8e_o.jpg

4173759754_06a7d7d3c2_o.jpg

Here's the interior part.

4173004577_c4e142330b_o.jpg

It is supposed to be challeging thanks to a combination of enemy archers, mage and traps. But all of these can easily be overcomed, just don't forget about using health poultices in time.

4173801254_a5fc295371_o.jpg

More darkspawn in the back rooms. Easily dispatched with basic crowd control.

4173046243_f3ee23e71e_o.jpg

Exit from the level

4173046391_d8ab7e1b9b_o.jpg

Second flloor

4173801630_38fd2eb153_o.jpg

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Maker's breath! What are these darkpawn doing ahead of the rest of the horde? There wasn't supposed to be any resistance here!

facebron.jpg
Bro: You could try telling them they're in the wrong place.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Right. Because clearly this is just a misunderstanding. We'll laugh about this later.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: At any rate, we need to hurry! We need to get up to the top of the tower and light the signal fire in time! Teyrn Loghain will be waiting for the signal!

4173831048_9e0c2cf258_o.jpg

Instead of rushing forward we took a turn to the left

4173075923_9cffe57ff4_o.jpg

to test how powerful were ballistas in the game

4173831412_96e9cc9681_o.jpg

The result was rather disappointing.

4173076277_115cb73c99_o.jpg

Anyway, this floor was cleared of enemies.

Third floor

4173137075_03453dfeea_o.jpg

Lots of enemies in the next room.
4173901096_fc4f676714_o.jpg

Here are cages with mabari dogs. Pulling this lever makes clearing this area an easy task.

4173902292_b5330f7c22_o.jpg

4173146947_3dbc625812_o.jpg

4173903096_21dbab35fd_o.jpg

Here's the exit to the top floor.

4173132003_679f9da8c0_o.jpg

Top floor

4173926564_4675e58605_o.jpg

4173170767_f8024ebf4a_o.jpg

Oh.
At least he's not immune to paralyze.

4173170887_7dd150f714_o.jpg

Ogre's pissed off. Now you'll understand what does Circle Mage mean.

4173926922_c9affdcef1_o.jpg

Big guy got bored of running in circles and switched his attention to Alistair.
4173171129_9d2ff2109c_o.jpg

But it's too late.
4173927160_0543bfb251_o.jpg

Bro loots his body.

4173171347_bc846c1f8d_o.jpg

At last, the tower part is over.
4173927384_9c8b786d78_o.jpg

Cutscene

4173960188_011d1387fd_o.jpg

4173960268_6204c33c1b_o.jpg

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: Sound the retreat.

4173222193_3b89ce5daf_o.jpg
Ser Cauthrien: But... what about the king? Should we not--

faceloghain.jpg
Loghain: Do as I command.

4173222193_3b89ce5daf_o.jpg
Ser Cauthrien: Pull out! All of you, let's move!

4173960356_656c293e05_o.jpg

4173960452_a11fd05a4b_o.jpg

4173204307_2719e497eb_o.jpg

Darkspawn are winning the battle
Ogre wants to hug our king

4173977842_4d941985a3_o.jpg

Uh oh too much luv for one time

4173977910_3a92256261_o.jpg

4173977998_c23dc6cfce_o.jpg

4173221963_be59bdae46_o.jpg

FACT: Duncan has instakill ogre ability but no health regen.

4173222037_6b13d33cd9_o.jpg

Bye bye, Duncan.

4173222117_f4de59a7c9_o.jpg

OMG BLOOM IS HEAVAN
4173978366_f36d72377f_o.jpg

Bro himself falls and sees the the bloom.

4173251081_f98ded7cf6_o.jpg

Game over? Of course no, bitches.
Flemeth's Hut

4173251191_69b2841d5c_o.jpg

4173251261_3830e32c19_o.jpg

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Ah, your eyes finally open. Mother shall be pleased.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Err... yes. Where am I?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Back in the Wilds, or course. I am Morrigan, lest you have forgotten, and I have just bandaged your wounds.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: You are welcome, by the way.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: How does your memory fare? Do you remember Mother's rescue?

facebron.jpg
Bro: I remember being overwhelmed by darkspawn...

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Mother managed to save you and your friend, though 'twas a close call. What is important is that you both live.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: The man who was to respond to your signal quit the field. The darkspawn won your battle.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Those he abandoned were massacred. Your friend... he is not taking it well.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I need to get out of here.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: As you like. Mother is outside with your friend... She wished to see you when you awoke.

facebron.jpg
Bro: Were my injuries severe?

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Yes, but I expect you shall be fine. The darkspawn did nothing Mother could not heal.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I will go, then.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I will stay and make something to eat.

Bro equps himself in a moment (literally) and goes outside

4174007672_9caffc4170_o.jpg

4173251511_0c8d10c2e1_o.jpg

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: See? Here is your fellow Grey Warden. You worry too much, young man.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: You... you're alive! I thought you were dead for sure.

facebron.jpg
Bro: It takes more than a few darkspawn to kill me.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Duncan's dead. The Grey Wardens, even the king... They're all dead.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: This doesn't seem real. If it weren't for Morrigan's mother, we'd be dead on top of that tower.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Do not talk about me as if I am not present, lad.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I didn't mean... but what do we call you? You never told us your name.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Names are pretty, but useless. The Chasind folk call me Flemeth. I suppose it will do.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: The Flemeth from the legends? Daveth was right---you're the Witch of the Wilds, aren't you?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: And what does that mean? I know a bit of magic, and it has served you both well, has it not?

facebron.jpg
Bro: So why did you save us?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Well, we cannot have all the Grey Wardens dying at once, can we? Someone has to deal with these darkspawn.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: It has always been the Grey Wardens' duty to unite the lands against the Blight. Or did that change when I wasn't looking?

facebron.jpg
Bro: The Grey Wardens are no more. Let someone else do it.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Of course. Someone else will realize what needs to be done and act in time and with sufficient sense to solve the problem. No need of you.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: But we were fighting the darkspawn! The king had nearly defeated them! Why would Loghain do this?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Now that is a good question. Men's hearts hold shadows darker than any tainted creature.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Perhaps he believes the Blight is an army he can outmaneuver. Perhaps he does bot see that the evil behind it is the true threat.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: The archdemon.

facebron.jpg
Bro: What could the teyrn hope to gain by betraying the king?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: The throne? He's the queen's father. Still, I can't see how he'll get away with murder.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You speak as if he would be the first king to gain his throne that way. Grow up, boy!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: If Arl Eamon knew what he did, he would never stand for it! The Landsmeet would never stand for it! There would be civil war!

facebron.jpg
Bro: You think the arl would believe us over the teyrn?

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I suppose... Arl Eamon wasn't at Ostagar; he still has all his men. And he was Cailan's uncle.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: I knew him. He's a good man, respected in the Landsmeet. Of course! We could go to Redcliffe and appeal to him for help!

facebron.jpg
Bro: And say he doesn't help us? What then?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You have more at your disposal than merely old friends.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Of course! The treaties! Grey Wardens can demand aids from dwarves, elves, mages, and other places! They're obligated to help us during a Blight!

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: I may be old, but dwarves, elves, mages, this Arl Eamon, and who knows what else... this sounds like an army to me.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: So can we do this? Go to Redcliffe and these other places and... build an army?

facebron.jpg
Bro: As long as there's some profit in it.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: If there is better motivation for doing what is right, I have yet to see it!

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: It's always been the Grey Wardens' duty to stand against a Blight. And right now, we're the Grey Wardens.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: So you are set, then? Ready to be Grey Wardens?

facebron.jpg
Bro: We're going, old woman. Don't push us.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Such a tone to take with your rescuer! What short memories!

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Now... before you go, there is yet one more thing I can offer you.

Morrigan appears.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: The stew is bubbling, Mother dear. Shall we have two guests for the eve or none?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: The Grey Wardens are leaving shortly, girl. And you will be joining them.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Such a shame-- What?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You heard me, girl. The last time I looked, you had ears! (Laughs)

facebron.jpg
Bro: What makes you think we want her?

Heh, like her outstanding tits personality?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Her magic will be useful. Even better, she knows the Wilds and how to get past the horde.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Have I no say in this?

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You have been itching to get out of the Wilds for years. Here is your chance. As for you, Wardens, consider this replayment for your lives.

facebron.jpg
Bro: She had better be as useful as you say.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Oh, she is. You could use some magic, and my Morrigan's as cunning as a root lizard.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Not to... look a gift horse in the mouth, but won't this add to our problems? Out of the Wilds, she's an apostate.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: If you do not wish help from us illegal mages, young man, perhaps I should have left you on that tower.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: Point taken.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Mother... this is not how I wanted this. I am not even ready--

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: You must be ready. Alone, those two must unite Ferelden against the darkspawn.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: They need you, Morrigan. Without you, they will surely fail, and all will perish under the Blight. Even I.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I... understand.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: And you, Wardens? Do you understand? I give you that which I value above all in this world. I do this because you must succeed.

facebron.jpg
Bro: We don't need her help.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Let her guide you out of the Wilds. If you truly do not desire her help after that, simply tell her so.

facealistair.jpg
Alistair: She could just as easily lead us into darkspawn, you know.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: I could just as easily have left you to them. Morrigan will not fail you.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Allow me to get my things, if you please.

Cut

4174007970_117abe4977_o.jpg

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: A am at your disposal, Grey Wardens. I suggest a village north of the Wilds as our first destination. 'Tis not far and you will find much you need there.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Or, if you prefer, I shall simply be your silent guide. The choice is yours.

facebron.jpg
Bro: I think we should just get underway.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: Farewell, Mother. Do not forget the stew on the fire. I would hate to return to a burned-down hut.

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Bah. 'Tis far more likely you will return to see this entire area, along with my hut, swallowed up by the Blight.

facemorrigan.jpg
Morrigan: I... all I meant was...

faceflemeth.jpg
Flemeth: Yes, I know. Do try to have fun, dear.

Alistair approves(+4).
Morrigan disapproves(-5).

To the world map

4174008128_73eba8f249_o.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
Wow, man, that betrayal totally came out of nowhere ! I need some time to recover from the shock !

I realize that genuinely surprising the player would have been difficult, since we can easily guess that the Great Evil Plaguing The Land is not going to be destroyed so early and that we're going to spend most of the game hero-ing alone. But, at least, could the traitor be a little less FUCKING OBVIOUS ?!?!

Angthoron

Arcane
The dwarf betrayal, though predictable, was handled far better. There's even the "Silly lighthearted blonde king-boy" and the "Brooding sinister dark-hair man" dichotomy.

lightbane

Arcane
That stupid king is Maric's descendant no? That explains everything. And died he did :lol:

Also, for being a supposed order that would do anything in its power to stop the Darkspawn they seem to have few numbers and/or desperate emergence plans when the shit happens...

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So far I've tried out the City Elf, Mage, Human Noble and Dwarf Noble origin stories and Dwarf Noble is clearly the best out of them. I like the little touches such as Gorim saying that he can't find your knife at the beginning and that's the knife found at the scene in case you didn't say you wanted to kill Trian (in that case Trian is already dead when you get there, the rest of the scene plays out the same). Too bad that there's no real acknowledgment of revenge when you strike Bhelen down after siding with Harrowmont later in the game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
4173251261_3830e32c19_o.jpg

Bam-chicki-wow-wow?

Also, first time I played, I honestly LOL'd a little when the king got killed. It's just...so trite and overdone.

I also kicked Morrigan out of the party the moment I hit Lothering. I can't stand the bitch, from her bitchy non-personality to the retarded way she's dressed. I was glad to see the game allows me to just boot her, even though for some reason party members that never met her would keep mentioning her in banter.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
Morrigan = best video game character EVAR.

Period.

Roofles. Why do you lie?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom