Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With my horrible playstyle (too dangerous, rash and too many deaths) I wont show myself online. I move through my characters like a knife through butter, dozens die everytime I play. Would be a bad addition to the Codex team.

korenzel

Educated
7hm said:
Meh, learn to use the weirdass ghjk movement system.
Offline tiles with mouse controls is pretty much perfect for me. Playing online isn't worth learning a wierdass new control scheme, especially when one wrong move can end a twelve hour game.

7hm

Scholar
Malakal said:
With my horrible playstyle (too dangerous, rash and too many deaths) I wont show myself online. I move through my characters like a knife through butter, dozens die everytime I play. Would be a bad addition to the Codex team.

There's this guy Lawman who tabs his way through zot.

It's wild to watch. Has some good wins but some horrendous deaths.

Teepo

Scholar
When is it recommended to switch Gods?

I doubt it'll even matter, since I can't even get a Merfolk Crusader going. And here I am talking about dealing with God's wrath.

desocupado

Magister
Teepo said:
When is it recommended to switch Gods?

I doubt it'll even matter, since I can't even get a Merfolk Crusader going. And here I am talking about dealing with God's wrath.

When you can handle your old god's wrath. In case of Trog, an hostile Brother in Arms is a killing machine, I've seen those things decimate rooms of enemies. There's a trick to it in the site I linked, though, but I think you need to find a nice spot and have tons of permanent food.

Also, you don't really NEED to change gods. You can finish the game with your starting god just fine.

Also, general tips to get going. Early on, your most dangerous enemies are Sigmund, Grinder, orc priests and orc wizards.

Sigmund can be killed, if you can do it fast, with a good wand (you can see in the description, if it says "little bits of frost/flame" it's the crappy one) or berserking.

Grinder, I recommend running away the moment you see him.

Now, on orc wizards/priests. The trick here is not let them in your line of sight long, use corners and wait until they come at you and then rush in and melee them. If there are other orcs in the line of fire (like in a corridor), the orc wizards can't do anything to you (watch out, they can go invisible, though), but the orc priests surely can smite you "through" other orcs, it doesn't need a line of fire.

You gotta watch out for strong mosnters and learn when to fight and when to run. Good luck.

Teepo

Scholar
Should I bum rush Sigmund even though he goes invisible? BTW I've run into Prince Ribbit on D4 before, and his blinking will just fuck a berserker up. As soon as you go berserk he always right away blinks off, then closes in for the kill when you're exhausted.

Orc Wizards and priests used to be a serious problem for me until I tried KoBe. Then, the issue became Orc Warriors. I think every time I die, I'm not using my full arsenal at my disposal. Haven't used brothers in arms yet.

Playing a magic user is tough. So far the only success I've had was with a Spriggan Venom mage. Spriggans are truly the master race.

What's up with Grinder? He seems less of a threat then sigmund, though his venom resistance made him untouchable with my venom mage. He also doesn't breathe in mephitic cloud or something. Pain in the neck, but gets berserkered quickly. Is he that asshole that summons green rats?

Sonya is the one that needs to be bum rushed immediately. God I hate that character.

desocupado

Magister
Teepo said:
Should I bum rush Sigmund even though he goes invisible? BTW I've run into Prince Ribbit on D4 before, and his blinking will just fuck a berserker up. As soon as you go berserk he always right away blinks off, then closes in for the kill when you're exhausted.

Orc Wizards and priests used to be a serious problem for me until I tried KoBe. Then, the issue became Orc Warriors. I think every time I die, I'm not using my full arsenal at my disposal. Haven't used brothers in arms yet.

Playing a magic user is tough. So far the only success I've had was with a Spriggan Venom mage. Spriggans are truly the master race.

What's up with Grinder? He seems less of a threat then sigmund, though his venom resistance made him untouchable with my venom mage. He also doesn't breathe in mephitic cloud or something. Pain in the neck, but gets berserkered quickly. Is he that asshole that summons green rats?

Sonya is the one that needs to be bum rushed immediately. God I hate that character.

Depends when you find Sigmund and what is the distance. If you're level 3, and just found him on D:2, and he just turned invisible, I would run away. However if he's a bit further in the dungeon and you're close to him, I would berserk and try my luck, even if he goes invisible.

Grinder can paralyse you, and hit you for several turns before you come back. A berserker might be able to kill him by berserking and hoping for the best, but a spellcaster has no hopes of doing it. I say it from personal experience, since those few last weeks I played only HEWi and MDBe.

Brother in Arms is strong as hell, but a huge piety hit. Use it sparingly.

Also, if you're playing Wizards, abuse mephitic cloud. Early on, no monsters (barring some uniques, grinder for example) have immunity to poison, and those who do not have poison immunity take (very) minor damage and get confused. And when they're confused, you go to town with whatever spells you got. If you got either clarity or poison resistance, you can drop a mephitic cloud on top of yourself with no ill effects.

The asshole that summons green rats would be Eustachio. If you're a berserker, bum rush him, ignore the summons, kill him, and run away. Don't bother killing the summons, they don't give xp and they will disappear a bit shortly. Just don't let him live long, cause he can keep summoning and overwhelm you. As a magic user, it's the same deal, but those summons suddenly got a lot more dangerous to your low hp, low armor character. You either confuse him with mephitic cloud, or run away, you might get lucky and manage to kill him with a strong spell (in case you're playing a conjurer and don't have mephitic cloud), but you want to risk it?

Sonya is a pain. Can't help you there, other than mephitic cloud or bum rush her.

If you meet Dovan and Duvessa as a wizard, mephitic cloud them, if berserker kill Duvessa FIRST. Dovan is annoying, but Duvessa's rage probably will kill you, even if you rage yourself.

sirfink

Scholar
The best strategy for dealing with many of the uniques, especially early on, is just to avoid them. Run away, find the nearest stairs down and leave the level. You might want to come back later and kill them when you get stronger, but it's not a game where you need to or should kill every enemy you encounter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom