Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Eternal Dagger!

DaveO

Erudite
I did not realize that it's been almost a year since I beat Wizard's Crown. I think it's time for our party to stop the demon invasion of Middle World. Along the way we get to stop the Necrodork on the first island, go thru a dungeon designed by a mad man, find the Eternal Dagger, save a Princess, travel and fight underwater(one of the final areas of the game) and of course bash the prerequisite Golems that we'll no doubt run into again along the way. My intent for this LP is to post videos of interesting combat encounters(one for each game month), record everything for the dungeons, and play on the recommended hardest difficulty for our veteran party.

Box art for the game is at:
http://www.stageselect.com/12208-eternal-dagger.aspx

Scorpia's review of the game is below:
http://pdf.textfiles.com/zines/CGW/1987_10_issue40.pdf

P.S. - I've not made videos yet, but they will cover the default party provided by the game designers along with explanation of changes made for the second game.

Elzair

Cipher
Are you doing another video-based LP, and if so, have you fixed your microphone issues?

DaveO

Erudite
Yes, it will be a video compilation with microphone commentary. The issues I had with MM8 won't occur on this game since there is no music unless I provide it. I'm not spending any time doing the standard Codex writeup for any of my LPs EVER.

If the greedy dwarves attack us, expect racial extinction! :incline:

abstract

Scholar
Could you turn up the recording volume a bit...? And by "a bit" I mean "a lot".

DaveO

Erudite
I went thru two recorded tactical combat fights as well as showing two monster lairs. I'll show the next two lairs as well as doing tactical combat against the dragon.

DaveO

Erudite
Additional videos uploaded today. My party finds additional monster lairs, plus a fight against the Great Dragon. For all of those Dragon Age 2 fanatics, you could probably extract a picture of the Great Dragon from the video file.

Luzur

Good Sir
why the Golden Box games, the Wizard's Crowns and the Phantasies arent remade for GS is beyond me.

DaveO

Erudite
Five more videos added, and my party is outside the Necromancer dungeon. I'll do quick combat against almost everything inside the dungeon and then we can head for the restored town of Greenbay after killing the Necromancer.

I have noticed that there are fewer fights on Hard difficulty, and the treasure quality may also be affected by difficulty.

DaveO

Erudite
Before tomorrow's update, I was wondering if anybody had a preference in regards to the creatures on the Elven and Dwarven lands. You can talk to a number of them for advice, or I could fight almost all of them since I know the game pretty well.

DaveO

Erudite
Nine more videos to cover the Necromancer's place. I'll likely do quick combat for the most part with the exception of difficult fights. Once I get weapons from the four towns and after I sell items, I'll have to see which items I'd like to enchant.

DaveO

Erudite
Five more videos added to the channel. The party was able to find Magoomba's lair and get the Living Dagger. At a later dungeon, it can be enchanted into the Eternal Dagger.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks a lot for doing this. I really have a high opinion of this game, which seems to be widely forgotten. I'll repeat what Luzor said, these games need to be remade.

DaveO

Erudite
Four videos were uploaded earlier today. After finishing up with some needed exploration for good gear and items, the next target will be the dungeon in the ruins of Koruy. Thanks so much for the comments in either this thread or on the YouTube channel!

Now that the LP has reached page two, I'll provide the reminder of where the videos are located:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveCaspermeyer

Luzur

Good Sir
Daemongar said:
Thanks a lot for doing this. I really have a high opinion of this game, which seems to be widely forgotten. I'll repeat what Luzor said, these games need to be remade.

luzUR

LUZ-UR

dammit.

DaveO

Erudite
Eight more videos uploaded with my party doing the dungeon at Koruy. There are one or two minor dungeon locations to go to before going into the madman's dungeon. Once done with that place, I'll build up the party for travel to the Dwarven lands.

DaveO

Erudite
Four videos of my party handling the monsters as well as the logic, illogic, and cipher puzzles on the first floor. I lost recordings for entering Waddling Turtle and Grey Eagle. Waddling Turtle presents the party a map that you take to Grey Eagle. Grey Eagle gives you an item required to enter the tower of Alvis, and you need to spend as much money as possible before going in to prevent losing income that can be used to enchant items. Grey Eagle will transport the party to the blasted remains of Enolho, but I need to have Aqua Helms to enter that place.

DaveO

Erudite
My party finished up the tower of Alvis. I'll probably do game updates at three month intervals since most of the rest of the game is building up the party for the final parts which includes a trek to the Dwarven lands.

DaveO

Erudite
The party reached the start of the next game year, so there's just one video for an overview. My plans are to explore and clear out the desert part of the map and then head over to the Dwarven lands. If my party gets a bit overloaded with spellcasting items, I'll probably do some fights against those giant cockroaches lurking in the ruins of Koruy.

DaveO

Erudite
I uploaded another overview video to my YouTube channel. Hopefully, I won't take as long before the next update.

DaveO

Erudite
I added two more videos after not posting anything for over a month. I've been tied up with personal stuff for those periods where I did not update weekly.

DaveO

Erudite
I've run into technical difficulties with the video recorder program. I could try switching in mid-stream to a screen shot Codex LP, but then I'd have a LOT of explaining to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom