Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Europa Universalis 2: Revenge of the Basques

IN EUROPA UNIVERSALIS 2, IT IS TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO AVOID PLAYING AS:

• Brandenburg

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • The Papal States

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Burgundy

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Eire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Navarra

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Georgia

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Infantryman

Scholar
Table of contents

1. Roasted Frog and The Black Knight
  2. Txarrena igel ergelak zaude, igel usain txarrena zara!
  3. Pire grenouille écrasée comme le crâne de porc
  4. Konkista de paradisua
  5. The Eight Years' War
  6. Basques and Catalans… friends for life!
------------------

Before ITZ came and popamoles with instant health regeneration took over the world, there were decent games. Like Europa Universalis 2.

In the year 1419, there were dozens of minor, underdog countries struggling to survive in a ruthless world. Many will fall soon, but one of them is about to make a daring attempt to hack and slash its way to glory with blood and iron or die trying. Which country is it going to be? You decide!

HKjwi.jpg

Brandenburg is a small German margraviate surrounded by powerful neighbours. Will it prove itself capable of uniting Germany under its banner despite these fearsome adversities?

FvfG2.jpg

The Pope has grown tired of foul heretics and embarks on a quest to create the Kingdom of God on earth. Does he have what it takes to break the might of treacherous Italian states and expand even further? Deus Vult!

BticC.jpg

Burgundy might be relatively large and wealthy, but it also has a powerful mortal enemy - France. Will it stand its ground?

T6pmf.jpg

Ireland is piss poor and sparsely populated, while the English already have a foothold on their home island. Can they fight back?

r38Hn.jpg

Basque people dream of being the oppressors instead of being oppressed. Can this historical irony be achieved even though Navarra's neighbours are nearly infinitely more powerful?

TugiS.jpg

Ruled by King Liberal, Georgia IS A COUNTRY AND NOT A U.S. STATE!!!11 Surrounded by hostile Muslims, will this beacon of Orthodox Christianity prove to everyone it IS A COUNTRY AND NOT A U.S. STATE once and for all?

Kipeci

Arcane
Georgia! Though, Navarre is fine, too.
How is EU2 different compared to EU3, aside from the worse graphics, lower province/country numbers and even sketchier geography?

TripJack

Hedonist
the events are a lot different between the two

eu2 has more historically based events for specific countries, whereas eu3 is broad random events that can be happen for any country

Infantryman

Scholar
Georgia! Though, Navarre is fine, too.
How is EU2 different compared to EU3, aside from the better graphics, higher province/country numbers and less sketchy geography?

Fixed.

Well, apart from the historical/random events TripJack mentioned, the games are quite similar. But EU2 doesn't have these idiotic mechanical imperfections you experience in EU3 like 1000 infantry ANNIHILATING 100000 strong army, because it was retreating in the wrong direction.

gtxrt.png

The tally so far. No winner yet!

Cassidy

Arcane
There can be only so many Shells in the Nights before it gets stale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Basque_people#Prehistory:_the_mainstream_view

A high concentration of Rh- (a typical European trait) among Basques, who have the highest level worldwide, had already been taken as suggestive of the antiquity and lack of admixture of the Basque genetic stock before the advent of modern genetics, which has confirmed this view. In the 1990s Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza published his findings according to which one of the main European autosomal components, PC 5, was shown to be a typically Basque trait believed to have receded owing to the migration of Eastern peoples during the Neolithic and Metal Ages.[1][2] Further genetic studies on Y chromosome DNA haplogroups[3] and X chromosome microsatellites[4] also seem to point to Basques being the most direct descendants from prehistoric Western Europeans. Having the highest percent of "Western European genes" but found also at high levels among neighbor populations, as they are also direct descendants of the same People.

MOST GENETICALLY PURE WEST EUROPEAN UBERMENSCH 100% KEBAB, GUIDO AND MONGOLOID FREE

:incline: :incline: :incline:

*Edit: Infantryman, do you intend to export the savegame to Vicky once it gets to the end? I know that is probably too much, but...

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

Infantryman

Scholar
There can be only so many Shells in the Nights before it gets stale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Basque_people#Prehistory:_the_mainstream_view

A high concentration of Rh- (a typical European trait) among Basques, who have the highest level worldwide, had already been taken as suggestive of the antiquity and lack of admixture of the Basque genetic stock before the advent of modern genetics, which has confirmed this view. In the 1990s Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza published his findings according to which one of the main European autosomal components, PC 5, was shown to be a typically Basque trait believed to have receded owing to the migration of Eastern peoples during the Neolithic and Metal Ages.[1][2] Further genetic studies on Y chromosome DNA haplogroups[3] and X chromosome microsatellites[4] also seem to point to Basques being the most direct descendants from prehistoric Western Europeans. Having the highest percent of "Western European genes" but found also at high levels among neighbor populations, as they are also direct descendants of the same People.

MOST GENETICALLY PURE WEST EUROPEAN UBERMENSCH 100% KEBAB, GUIDO AND MONGOLOID FREE

:incline: :incline: :incline:

24R5X.jpg

*Edit: Infantryman, do you intend to export the savegame to Vicky once it gets to the end? I know that is probably too much, but...

http://lparchive.org/Paradox-Hohenzollern/

Possibly. We'll see how it goes.

Infantryman

Scholar
Given the fact there are virtually no new votes, I declare that this poll has now been concluded. I shall play as Navarra.

I'm sorry, TripJack. Democracy sucks, I know. To give you a general idea of what could have happened if I played as Brandenburg, I've placed below a screenshot from my 2008 savegame.

vuDSQ.jpg

Infantryman

Scholar
Chapter 1: Roasted Frog and The Black Knight

Between 1512 and 1515 Castile successfully invaded and annexed the southern half of the old kingdom of Navarra. The King moved his administration north but in 1589 France annexed that part as well. Though there were (and are) many rebellions in the Basque territories of Spain, Navarra would never again resurface as a nation.

Not in my game! I shall make them pay for this! :x

jbYpl.jpg

Navarra. Note the large number of national cultures. This will make Spanish and French territories easier to control. Another thing worthy of your attention is a large amount of gold it starts with :keepmymoney:.

XrEOg.jpg

Time to review our internal policies. They are quite decent for a medieval state. Now I will push towards greater centralization. This will decrease stability, but maintaining order in such a tiny kingdom is a non-issue.

NvwGx.jpg

You've surely noticed the white spots. These are the 'terra incognita', lands unknown for us. Why don't Navarrans know even all their neighboring territories? I have no idea, but this thing happens only on the modded map I use. Luckily, European lands may be discovered without explorers, in contrast with Afirca, Americas and Asias. That's why I've sent Navarran army in the eastern direction - to map these territories.

PcxAV.jpg

Political map of our part of Europe.

AfkAO.jpg

Guess what? France is in a middle of a hundred years' war with England and its allies.

z3YH5.jpg

Navarra won't achieve anything alone. It needs someone to do the dirty work. Let's make friends with Castile - for now.

vWw4p.jpg

Then King of Navarre asks to join their military alliance and they accept! In the meantime, more efficient tax administration is being established throughout the country. Navarra must become STRONG!

6gIuD.jpg

Navarra thus became a part of the Iberian league - a multilateral alliance of Castile, Aragon and Portugal. On the downside, they are currently fighting a war of Reconquista, and Navarra is obliged to declare war on Granada and Berber countries as well.

0exM0.jpg

That won't stop Navarra from pursuing its own policy. Royal treasurer Ben Bernanxi is ordered to mint as many coins as possible, even if it means reducing the amount of precious metals a coin contains. This will surely cause inflation, but Greater Good must be served.

DiGHf.jpg

Additional troops are mobilized along the border. The total numbers now exceed the supply limit which generates enormous strain on the royal budget.

nU72K.jpg

Suddenly, Navarra unexpectedly declares war on France. Without casus beli, it results in a large domestic and international butthurt. But Iberian allies of Navarra live up to the pacts they signed and join the war too.

cvXBs.jpg

Basque armies besiege 3 major cities of southern France. The invaded country doesn't respond, busy fighting with the English and Burgundians. Aragonese forces are treated with higher priority.

MuM1R.jpg

As the battles rage throughout entire France, nobody notices Navarra's slow but steady progress. Foix has fallen, Gascone likely to follow suit.

RabTu.jpg

Basques make an incursion into Bourbon territory. The duke's army tries to respond, but is beaten easily.

5Kz2S.jpg

Bourbons move their army eastwards to respond to the growing Aragonese threat to Aquitaine. Navarra then lays siege on their capital. Aristocrats send relief, but are defeated in a major battle that was decided when Basque reinforcements arrived from neighbouring province.

fx8kQ.jpg

France, severely mauled by the vultures, has no other choice but to concede lots of land in peace negotiations. King of Navarra is satisfied with the terms and accepts the French offer!

uABJ1.jpg

Navarra becomes two times larger!

dvLql.jpg

But everything comes at a price. Such belligerent and unjustified actions have made Navarra accrue lots of infamy points, known in EU2 as 'badboy' points.

u6boV.jpg

While the Basques disband large parts of their overgrown military and work hard towards integrating newly conquered provinces, the English have captured Paris!

nYtJA.jpg

That was a decisive blow. Shattered France had to sign a humiliating peace treaty with England, which now controls entire French Atlantic coastline.

AceJD.jpg

Navarra is still at war with Granda, which refuses to accept a white peace! :x

wNlV7.jpg

King has had enough of their insolence and orders: REMOVE BERBER FROM THE PREMISES.

hVoxm.jpg

But the royal army quickly had to return to Navarra in order to suppress some French rebellions. Then, something totally unexpected happened: Black Knight, the King of Brittany declared war on the Basques!

bARKg.jpg
YOU SHALL DIE!

nr6Ru.jpg

Basques built the first ship in the history of their nation (a Galley) and sent it to scout the Brittanian coastline. But it was found by two warships and had to escape to the port of Viscaia!

IRBYs.jpg
I have no quarrel with you good knight, but I must have peace so that I can reduce war exhaustion!

bARKg.jpg
NONE SHALL PASS!

IRBYs.jpg
So be it!

pOEGw.jpg

After 2 years of stalemate with no side being able to transport troops to attack the other side (diplomatic overtures to persuade England to grant Navarra military passage have failed), Castile sunk the enemy Navy and slipped in 2000 strong detachment. It was beaten quickly but the way to get out of this nonsensical war was finally in sight.

EWWK5.jpg

While Aragonese forces were slowly gaining upper hand in the Rennes area, Basques were busy fighting the mountain peasants rebelling against new tax ordnances. They proved themselves extremely difficult to defeat, beating royal army 4 times and then simply dispersing undefeated once they found out they would never succeed despite their heroic resistance.

25E76.jpg

Despite its situation was worsening every day, Brittany still refused to sign status quo ante peace.

IRBYs.jpg
Now stand aside worthy adversary!

bARKg.jpg
'TIS BUT A SCRATCH!

V68wr.jpg

Finally, first Basques set foot on the soil of Brittany, laying siege on BRO Gwened. :bro:

AGQFh.jpg

After months of siege BRO Gwened was consumed by the fires.

GYTiA.jpg

Strange things happen in France. Some lolbertarians declared independence, creating the country named 'FREE'.

kr5be.jpg

Speaking of France, its situation is getting even more dire. One of its vassal duchies actually rebelled, declaring war against their former master!

lmeuI.jpg

BRO Gwened falls!

keLjJ.jpg

As the war gets worse and worse, Brittany actually increases its peace demands.

bARKg.jpg
COME ON YOU PANSY!

IRBYs.jpg
Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no army left!

bARKg.jpg
YES I HAVE!

e9T1E.jpg

As the BRO Leon :bro: city burns, the last one under control of Brittany, Black Knight still increases demands.

bARKg.jpg
CHICKEN! CHICKEN!

IRBYs.jpg
You're a loony!

XguiI.jpg

bARKg.jpg
COME 'ERE!

IRBYs.jpg
What are you going to do, bleed on me?

bARKg.jpg
I'M INVINCIBLE!

jErCp.jpg

bARKg.jpg
ALL RIGHT. WE'LL CALL IT A DRAW.

6j85P.jpg

Brittany was punished for its inane stubbornness by being partitioned between Aragon and the Basques. BRO Leon :bro: now belongs to Navarra!

bARKg.jpg
OH, OH, I SEE, RUNNING AWAY THEN. YOU YELLOW BASTARD! COME HERE AND TAKE WHAT'S COMING TO YOU! I'LL BITE YOUR LEGS OFF!

Tigranes

Arcane
Ah, EU2. How I miss thee.

EU games tend to get too easy if you reach a certain size and power, though, especially for expeirenced players. Usually one way is to mildly-larp each King by giving them house rule-style missions or traits, but I suppose for now you must survive.

oscar

Arcane
I'm trying to remember the name of that insane mod that added a truckload of historical events for major and minor nations, even complex alternate history event chains depending on "what-ifs". Was really damn impressive. Completing a game as a nation felt like you'd done a history course on them. Had a damn fun game as the Hussites, ushering in an earlier, grassroots Protestantism.

Fake edit: http://agceep.net/installation.htm

Infantryman

Scholar
I'm trying to remember the name of that insane mod that added a truckload of historical events for major and minor nations, even complex alternate history event chains depending on "what-ifs". Was really damn impressive. Completing a game as a nation felt like you'd done a history course on them. Had a damn fun game as the Hussites, ushering in an earlier, grassroots Protestantism.

Fake edit: http://agceep.net/installation.htm

Every Paradox game has these kind of mods, for instance, I have very fond memories of VIP (Victoria Improvement Project) for Vicky1. They make game far more realistic, and, in many ways, more fun to play. On the downside, with them, the gameplay becomes much more rigid. You simply can't script every possibility in the events.

Infantryman

Scholar
Chapter 2: Txarrena igel ergelak zaude, igel usain txarrena zara!

0PWKw.jpg

Nine years of uninterrupted bloodshed brought Navarra enormous territorial gains, but the levels of war exhaustion in most of its provinces has reached extreme levels. Two French vassals – Auvergne and Bourbon, are currently clashing against each other. Normally, this would be an excellent opportunity for easy expansion, but under the current circumstances, the Basques cannot get involved in another conflict.

LvqMz.jpg

HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE EUZKADI!?

n6gCp.jpg

The King became increasingly interested in naval issues. He believed that somewhere far in the west, there could be a New World for the Basques to conquer.

heiHf.jpg

As Navarra recovered from the prolonged wars, its chance for easy gains in France have disappeared. Auvergne achieved total victory, grabbing over two thirds of Bourbons’ lands. Such consolidation of power among French vassals was a major setback. In the meantime, royal diplomacy focused on arranging marriages and trading maps. The Basques have learned many useful things about the Arabian coasts and Atlantic ocean.

gbDyY.jpg

With the passage of time, the fire of French nationalism is slowly fading.

9Qt3f.jpg

Heinous worst frog wants revenge for our intervention in the Hundred Years’ War. The treacherous bastards have even incited a rebellion of mountain peasants. To make things worse, Auvergne has 25-thousand strong army stationed along our border, while Portugese cowards have dishonoured our alliance.

ddc4z.jpg

Navarra cannot afford to have any idle troops eating up their supply limit. BRO Leon :bro: will have to unprotected.

85Qz5.jpg

Legions of filthy toads descend upon Guyenne. Good thing most of them will starve to death due to attrition such doomstacks induce.

Yt4BB.jpg

After half of the invading troops have perished, 15 thousand cavalry will slaughter the demoralized remnants, while 5 thousand infantry lays siege on Tulouse.
mxXV8.jpg

The battle ended in a crushing defeat for Navarra. Now nothing can save Guyenne.

LBO0l.jpg

Half a year later, the province finally fell. While the hastily rebuilt Basque army was prepared to make a stand against advancing enemy army, the besieging forces moved to engage Castilian and Aragonese units.

loXgL.jpg

Sneaky Provence seized our precious :bro: BRO Leon! A black day indeed!

m8EMf.jpg

Finally some good news! The Basques have taken control of Tolouse!

SRtyl.jpg

But then another disaster happens. Advancing Navrran army is utterly crushed by Auvergne. The scouts have severely underestimated their strength.

3tKpb.jpg

Auvergene immediately lauches a massive counterattack, besieging both Toulouse and Foix. Navarra’s army is unable to effectively respond. The situation looks very bad.

QKJ8T.jpg

In desperation, King of Navarra spent all his remaining gold on mercenaries. Now, his army outnumbers the besieging troops 3:1. Victory is assured!

V8ZrH.jpg

But despite their overwhelming advantage, the Navarra’s troops were beaten! Rumors spread among the terrified soldiers that the French are using the ubikebab djinn powers. Perhaps Basques are destined to be slaves?

lFVJe.jpg

Thus, Foix had fallen. France proposed a humiliating peace deal for Navarra, demanding most of its lands. The discontent among the population is growing, defeatism is spreading too. But the King orders the cowards to be executed and rallies his troops once again.

pDhiF.jpg

Cavalry army finally manages to retake Guyenne and makes a daring incursion into Auvergne. In the meantime, royal army clashes with the rear guard of the French army attacking Aragon proper. Despite outnumbering them 3:1, they lose to the djinn once again.

pTRLt.jpg

Auvergne reacts swiftly, pushing Navarran cavalry back.

jEJcT.jpg

But the Basques do not relent. Royal army attacks Foix once again and finally crushes the djinn army. Then, it lays siege on the mountain city and joins with the cavalry. But the Auvergne army despite vast numerical inferiority, stops the attack once again.

8YFmQ.jpg

Castile sends an army that attacks Auvergne. It also fails, but the toad’s losses were so huge, that royal army now enters the duchy almost unopposed.

RBjpX.jpg

Rebellions rage throughout Iberia. Are we going to lose this war?

AJ2JT.jpg

Provence signs separate peace deal with our alliance. BRO Leon :bro: peacefully returns under Basque control!

UISZi.jpg

While Navarran army pushes deep into Auvergne, Basque race traitors raise arms against their own nation.

1NSoH.jpg

Good news is that Portugal re-joins the alliance!

MfUFa.jpg

Things finally are looking up for Navarra. Auvergne and Bourbon are ravaged by the fires, while Foix has been retaken.

K8kC2.jpg

France’s vassals are finally beaten. Auvergne had to cede Limousin for Navarra, while Bourbons were annexed by Portugal.

1ZJ0D.jpg

Disloyal bastards try to take advantage of the situation to increase their power and wealth. Even though it would come at a great expense, the King orders to have the traitor scum executed, which provokes a major rebellion.

jwnG0.jpg

Navarra troops now besiege major cities in southern France.

8ndiO.jpg

But things take a radical turn for the worse when Burgundy allies with France. Have they already forgotten Hundred Years’ War? With land access through Burgundy, France can move its troops from the north. Large doomstacks are approaching!

QuCbq.jpg

Their initial advance is successfully halted, but once the main army arrives, the Basque army is a toast. All they can hope for now is to capture Dauphine and negotiate a good peace deal under these circumstances.

UC8Yd.jpg

And that’s the deal Navarra accepted. After making such a great sacrifices, the Basques have hoped for greater gains, but on the other hand, this could have ended much worse as well.

eg0wt.jpg

Even though war is over, the fight continues. All the rebels and traitors will face justice!

wcZ9I.jpg

A few years later, a rebellion in the Bourbon lands start. Navarra could intervene, or it could wait and hope the rebels declare independence rather than joining France. It could be risky, because they could actually be strengthening their greatest rival.

bRukH.jpg

Reconquista continues. Soon there will be no more Muslims in Iberia.

QDyY0.jpg

Foreign military advisors improve Navarran army, so that it is better prepared to fight the djinn.

qPAdc.jpg

The gamble paid off! Bourbon declared independence! Castile and Aragon didn’t want to join the Portugal’s war against them, but Navarra eagerly did. As a result it became the leader of the alliance, quickly persuading the Castile and Aragon to return to the Iberian League. Brittany also joins, after intense diplomatic carrot-and-stick pressure.

NvLUA.jpg

Bourbons are swiftly annexed by Navarra, becoming another province of the growing kingdom. The Basques are stronger than ever, yet there is a growing sense of insecurity. France recently inherited the duchy of Provence, which strengthened them greatly. Rebels led by some lunatic peasant girl are controlling substantial parts of English France and may soon defect to the French crown. Growing in strength, and seething with desire for vengeance, the French are surely going to strike back sooner or later.

WHILE THE ENEMIES OF EUZKADI STILL DRAW BREATH, THERE CAN BE NO PEACE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom