Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Exile: Escape From the Pit! (Kill It With Fire)

Should I do a LP of the orginal Exile?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElectricOtter

I recently got Exile: Escape From the Pit running under Windows XP in VMlite, and I've been meaning to replay it anyway, so if there is any public interest, I could do a LP (and probably abandon it half way through ololol). I'll keep this poll open for a week and turn it into a LP thread if I people want.

LET'S KICK THIS THREAD INTO OVERDRIVE BROS

CHAPTER INDEX (LOOK HERE FOR NEW UPDATES)

CHAPTER 1: WELCOME TO THE UNDERWORLD
CHAPTER 2: GETTING ARMED
CHAPTER 3: GETTING BETTER ARMED
CHAPTER 4: HISS, INDEED
CHAPTER 5: GODDAMN BATS
CHAPTER 6: BANDIT HUNTING
CHAPTER 7: BEING POOR SUCKS
CHAPTER 8: KILL IT WITH FIRE *NEW*

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Less "I'm thinking of doing this LP" more "Let's play!"

In other words, you have my vote.

ElectricOtter

Welcome To The Underworld

CHAPTER ONE: WELCOME TO THE UNDERWORLD

8ysid.jpg

This is Exile. If you don't know what this is (you probably should), then let me explain: Exile was a CRPG released by Spiderweb Software in 1995. It was a solid, enjoyable experience with a HUGE gameworld (at least it seemed huge when I first played it...) and tons of content. It spawned 3 sequels, a remake series, then the remake had another 3 sequels continuing the story. I chose to play Exile over the remake (Avernum) because Exile is better in almost every aspect. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on Win7. Fortunately, I happened to have a VMlite WinXP machine installed on this computer. Enough introductions, let's get this shit started!

utYTS.jpg

Alright, let's make a new party...

n82CE.jpg

mk6Du.jpg

AyxLr.jpg

This is the screen for creating a new party member. Unlike Avernum, Exile has no classes. This is a awesome and flexible system that I wish more RPGs would implement. Most of the skills are the same as in Avernum, but there is no Endurance skill (health is part of Strength), and Bashing Weapons, Poison, and Disarm Traps are all unique to Exile. Defense also functions differently than in Avernum.

RlIbc.jpg

NCgZH.jpg

KVQEj.jpg

This is SMA, our fearless frontline male-to-female fighter. Pretty much a typical tank, with some good skill in Bashing and Edged weapons. This will make her a p. versatile character and able to utilize most weapons we come across. Throwing Weapons/Archery isn't very useful in Exile and will be our general dump stat. I threw in some Item Lore for good measure because you can never have too much Item Lore.

MVHBl.jpg

dLGrV.jpg

F9jg7.jpg

Cleveland is our primary damage-dealer and fighter of the globalwarmthinkery. He also is a golden retriever trivia expert item identifier, as Item Lore is a really, really important skill it Exile. In short, it is the difference between having a bitchin' magic shield and having a shitty cursed item fused to your arm. Pole Weapons is a good skill for a fighter in absence of duel-wielding mayhem. I also put a couple points in Poison, which allows us to use and poisons we find on out weapons and arrows. It's the only thing that can actually make Archery effective.

OtJIu.jpg

eWPBJ.jpg

HheYn.jpg

What's wrong Hawthorne? Andhaira is our Pakistani warrior with some extra experience in Lockpicking, Disarm Traps, and Throwing stones at infidels. I gave him one point in Archery in case we find a good bow later on and I decide to use it for some crazy-ass reason. Also, I stupidly gave him 2 in Poison even though I had done the same for Cleveland.

Tws4S.jpg

4PGUm.jpg

I actually didn't take a screenshot of this guy's name, but he's Racofer :oops: . His inclinin' abilities will help our adventurers not die horribly on the field of battle. He's a pretty straightforward priest, with some Bashing ability. Right now, he's not strong enough to fight in melee, so he'll stay back while blessing and healing.

koHgC.jpg

YqyhV.jpg

C1uMG.jpg

DJ101 is our magical black guy. He's fairly shit at combat, with some Throwing Weapons skill as a last resort. His strong area is flashy effects and explosions. Shit's totally next-gen :thumbsup:

Mage Lore will help us in some special encounters.

gUplC.jpg

kMEu2.jpg

YMt88.jpg

Liberal is our semi-worthless mage/priest who's only useful abilities are Alchemy and some backup healing spells. Not much to say here :smug:

bzwiv.jpg

We have arrived in Exile! Next time, we do shit in Fort Exile.

So, that's it for the first update. Any suggestions? Are the images good?

ElectricOtter

Elwro said:
Fine by me!

The Avernum games could sure use more thievery options...
All Spiderweb Software games could use more stealth-oriented skills. The closest there was was the Cave Lore skill in Avernum.

Nex

Cipher
I am interested to see how this goes as I have only played Avernum 1, which I loved.

Radisshu

Prophet
I used to play a trial of this game I got from a CD that game with some computer magazine my dad got when I was like.. eleven or twelve years old, I think. Awesome.

ElectricOtter

Getting Armed

CHAPTER 2: GETTING ARMED

Fun Fact: I am running the latest version of Exile, released just after Exile III. It added the improved graphics from Exile III. The second version added Exile II graphics and changed how AP works in combat. The very first version had characters have only 1 AP during combat, Ultima III style.

YLMAZ.jpg

Welcome back to the caves of Exile! Let me take this opportunity to explain the interface. Of course, the largest window is the game window, so you can see what's actually happening on the screen. Below that is the town, dungeon, or region of Exile we are currently in. As you can see, right now we are in Fort Exile. At the very bottom is our action buttons. Going left to right, they are Cast Mage Spell, Cast Priest Spell, Examine/Search, Talk, Get Items, Bash Door, Pick Lock, Create Potion, Map, and Combat Mode (in combat mode, it goes turn-based and all of your characters appear instead of just the one at the front of the party). To the left of the main screen is the status window, where you can see your characters stats, inventory, and statuses. You can also dismiss and switch character order from this menu. Below that is where messages are displayed.

BD6z1.jpg

Next to the portal we see a well-dressed man. Let's go talk to him!

NOTE: In Avernum this guy is black, but the text still describes him as pale (???).

3Br35.jpg

Talking to someone in Exile opens up the dialogue screen. Dialogue in Exile works old-school style: type in a keyword, and the person will tell you about it. Everyone responds to Name and Job, and shopkeepers will always respond to Buy and Sell. Fun Fact: Exile only pays attention to the first four letters of any word you type in.

qJrTm.jpg

6VAg8.jpg

crwJC.jpg

Hve5B.jpg

WfKd6.jpg

rWkrT.jpg

Tor, eh? Let's go find this guy before we stave to death.

J06e1.jpg

wgWw4.jpg

This is the supply depot. Tor's place is a little east of here.

YJX2D.jpg

Here he is! I hope gives us more than he did in Avernum...

Z71wY.jpg

7ojQA.jpg

xXmJH.jpg

He's actually lying. Metal weapons are p. easy to find. Magical weapons are a little harder, but still.

2OWyb.jpg

Phat lewt! Let's go check out what we got...

HXmuS.jpg

Not bad. Pretty basic supplies. The darts make decent throwing weapons, and we can distribute the armor around the group.

UlAMl.jpg

Equipped items are colored and italicized in Exile.

lPJS3.jpg

Here is the menu for giving items to other PCs. Pretty simple.

j2wpk.jpg

sliGs.jpg

qZA2p.jpg

iYhZ5.jpg

k2J03.jpg

This is what our team looks like now. Yikes. We're going to have to pick up some better weapons soon.

c2D60.jpg

This is the larger character menu in Exile. Here you can view equipment stats and known spells. As you can see, there are a lot of spells in Exile, of which SMA knows none.

RoOYg.jpg

This is the info menu for weapons. Here we can see it's type, it's value, it's damage, the governing skill, any magical charges it may have, and any weapons bonuses. Bonuses are (I believe) controlled by weapon material, type, and size. It is a straightforward damage addition. For example, a sword with a damage of 6 and a bonus of 1 would do 7 base damage.

sVl2S.jpg

The armor menu works much the same way, except it details encumbrance and protection instead of damage. Encumbrance controls whether you can cast Mage Spells while wearing it or not.

SWarw.jpg

5PLBS.jpg

This is the supply room. Unfortunately, all the barrels are empty. Maybe it's a barrel storeroom?

wkO1l.jpg

Hey, it's some peasant chick. I wonder if I can get a sex card from her?

MwHYc.jpg

O5KXU.jpg

Y8P71.jpg

FZvqJ.jpg

Oh well... better go talk to this Thairl guy now.

a1Fsz.jpg

This is map. It opens up in a separate window alongside the main game. Gray space is explored area, gray with black dots is unexplored, purple box is the PCs, black squares are wall, outlined gray squares are items or decoration.

rpMq6.jpg

Right across the street from the supply rooms. That's convenient.

par8G.jpg

Blue robes, definitely a sage.

snyvQ.jpg

1XEdH.jpg

ta4rq.jpg

Meet Thairl: radiating beacon of pessimism.

1F926.jpg

POfdq.jpg

HCOTX.jpg

dOSwb.jpg

Right. Remind me not to head that way.

nR34g.jpg

In Avernum, Dunvo was made into Fort Dunvo, a coal mining town.

PQsjn.jpg

If I had to sum up the entire series in one sentence this would probably be it.

sNrTh.jpg

lezx8.jpg

1T6Lp.jpg

df4j3.jpg

We can search any sort of container by using Examine on it. This dresser doesn't have anything in it, though.

Br3hv.jpg

There's the south city gates, but we don't want to leave yet.

Axvy2.jpg

n8OjP.jpg

Up there are the guard barracks. Nothing interesting there.

LyILQ.jpg

This sign contains a rather interesting bit of lore that actually wasn't included in Avernum.

TALXH.jpg

So the Empire sent over 100,000 Untermenschen into Exile? Wow. This really shows how goddamn huge the Empire must be. Of course, this really isn't indicative of the actual population of Exile, as a large number of those were probably killed by the Slith or otherwise murdered horribly.

a0eis.jpg

ALRIGHT FUCK THIS SHIT IM OUTTA HERE

m9BJX.jpg

Awwww. In Avernum this was changed to intense heat surrounding the portal, which doesn't make much sense seeing as you should have been fried the moment you arrived in Avernum...

CQstR.jpg

A pit of sludge and trash. Most "swampy" tiles like those will poison some of you characters when you step on them, so it's best to avoid them if you can.

JumRK.jpg

We've done all there is to do in Fort Exile. Time to leave. (Also - notice how our food meter has gone down. We need to eat food to survive. After a certain number of steps, our party consumes food. Each party member uses up 1 unit of food, so having a smaller party means you don't need as much food.)

GUmN8.jpg

Finally, out of the confines of the Fort and onto the world map! Next time - we reach Silvar!

ElectricOtter

Yeesh said:
I've never played this, and am greatly looking forward to the LP. Unless this is one of those games that DOESN'T have images of huge luscious tits.
No tits, but there are hints at hot lesbian action (or am I thinking of the second game)

Images are ready, I'll update tomorrow barring ITZ or babbymeats.

ecliptic

Liturgist
I'm curious, comprehensively how do you find Exile better than Avernum? The forums on Spiderweb seem to generally prefer Avernum.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
This was spoken again and again. Exile has better combat due to 6 character party, lot of spells, big combat field, fucking FOOD - many of Exile's encounters lost any sense (starving wyrm in E3 for example) - and so on. Fuck Avernum. Fuck it very hard. And all you gain is only some more lore and dialogue trees? Sheesh!

@Electricotter
You must say "hoho" to lizard and post result.

Also anyone who finds for me Exile with original graphics will gain my gratitude.
I find some time ago E2, but not E1.

ecliptic

Liturgist
Someone posted on the spiderweb forums the bitmap image that you overwrite to get the original graphics back.

ElectricOtter

Getting Better Armed

Fowyr said:
Also anyone who finds for me Exile with original graphics will gain my gratitude.
http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98620#Post98620
Here ya go.

CHAPTER 3: GETTING BETTER ARMED

Famda.jpg

On to Silvar to get some better gear.

xHAS8.jpg

hSdke.jpg

This road will lead straight to Silvar. There's some stuff to the north, but we're not going to check it out just yet because we have pretty shit equipment and I don't want to risk it until we go to Silvar.

YOViJ.jpg

One slight problem with Exile's tile graphics: town's look really small on the world map, ridiculously so. If there's one thing Avernum got right, it's the sense of scale.

bh5Ji.jpg

We have arrived! Time to go explore the town.

qqJvc.jpg

SSucs.jpg

g6uzN.jpg

gEJUg.jpg

Ah yes, the training facility. I'll explain the training mechanic in Exile once we gain a level.

eAC2k.jpg

glUJ1.jpg

uofqS.jpg

Hey, a guy to talk to! PROTIP: Talk to everyone in Exile. Everyone. If they are not trying to actively kill you, they might have very useful information.

lUkvz.jpg

cYNfH.jpg

gpu61.jpg

VCKbk.jpg

xxUtB.jpg

If that isn't a potential quest, I don't know what is. We'll definitely be seeing that fort later.

4tvr5.jpg

Hey, a inn! Resting is much more useful in Exile than Avernum, mainly because of the food mechanic. In Avernum, you used up food when you rest. It would heal your health and mana, so pretty useful, right? Nope. In Avernum, traveling on the world map slowly restores your health and mana. Of course, in Exile, this would also use up quite a bit of food. But in Avernum, it costs no food to travel. I'm sure you can see the problem.

OrGSu.jpg

BuHtb.jpg

d2uIv.jpg

He's not very helpful. Let's chat with the barkeep.

MdgMl.jpg

bd08V.jpg

OGJZ0.jpg

In Avernum, inventory is limited by weight. In Exile, it's limited by size. The size mechanic is rather restricted compared to weight, so item storage is pretty handy. We don't need a room or anything right now though, so we'll leave.

oiPS2.jpg

CjTgX.jpg

Gee, that's not relevant to the plot at all! Nope. Not one bit.

7LEfh.jpg

pfAS5.jpg

Here we come across our first locked door. We can either bash down or pick locked doors. However, I'm not going to bother with this one because I don't have any picks yet and I recall there being no good loot in the building. I think. Dammit, if there's a iron longsword or something in there, I'm going to be so pissed.

AspE7.jpg

Derp. Forgot to take a pic of the building, but it's a little ways south of Gruber's.

Fu4QU.jpg

f1W6o.jpg

lYsG0.jpg

AAcnw.jpg

Geez! That's expensive. Boats work pretty much the same way in both Avernum and Exile, they allow you to traverse across water. There were also boats in Geneforge 3, but... we don't talk about that.

2xKtH.jpg

vnq4z.jpg

UkeD0.jpg

4egiJ.jpg

The Silvar town hall is actually pretty boring. No quests, not much to do. The mayor does give us some interesting lore, so we'll talk to him anyway.

T4V7O.jpg

DPZuC.jpg

EiQG0.jpg

npD9Y.jpg

And that's how underground politics work. We'll be meeting the other members of the council (and eventually King Micah himself) as we progress through the game.

x3p7P.jpg

VGYEY.jpg

Here's one of the reasons we came to Silvar immediately: food. We started with 60, but we're already down to 42. Better stock up!

9usGa.jpg

IVncT.jpg

hNHuV.jpg

DLhGI.jpg

1sqdn.jpg

Ooooh boy.

41BSV.jpg

ow0Ui.jpg

Here's the menu for buying food. It's fairly simple: it shows you how much food you get for how much gold, and you can buy it in singles or packs of ten.

MPnZV.jpg

We buy 66 food, bringing us up to a total of 108.

b3e4t.jpg

Now time for the main attraction: the armor/weapon shops.

Eb69F.jpg

This is Efram. He'll sell us various instruments of death.

KJz8R.jpg

7TOef.jpg

2FSLh.jpg

FwR74.jpg

YgwU3.jpg

aZQ8r.jpg

This is totally not going to come up again near the end of the game.

FQmDd.jpg

Here's Efram's weapons. He has a pretty nice selection. Time to outfit our adventurers.

2ghc5.jpg

After buying some weapons, we skip on over to Anastasia's to get some better armor.

O1c8A.jpg

EITdt.jpg

hLXHn.jpg

uot8I.jpg

Here's the armor we can buy. I honestly do not remember if you can wear a buckler with a two-handed weapon in this game (I know you couldn't in Avernum), so I didn't buy one for Cleveland.

Now that we have some nice gear, here's a view of the team before we end this update:
iyqxl.jpg

pSBil.jpg

Lo6QZ.jpg

7CHqb.jpg

SreEG.jpg

BBmdK.jpg

We use the rest of our few gold pieces to buy some more food, and then it's time to exit Silvar!

IRutv.jpg

We aren't going to be continuing west yet. Only rape and death awaits there until we get stronger.

S1drT.jpg

Next time, we go north to Fort Dunvo and fight our first few battles!

EDIT: sorry this first few updates have been fairly boring. It's going to be much more interesting next update, once we start killing some goblins and bandits and exploring up north.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Re: Getting Better Armed

ElecTriCotter said:
Fowyr said:
http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98620#Post98620
Here ya go.
I check link and remember that I saw this thread. Also I finally remember what I tried to find original E2, not E1. And E2 link in the OP is dead. But several posts later I found this.
http://www.truesite4blades.com/Home/Others/Exile1-Version1.0.3.zip
http://www.truesite4blades.com/Home/Others/Exile2-Version1.0.2.zip
Version of Exile 1 even older than my 1.1!

Thank you, kind sir :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom