Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive Let's Play Final Fantasy VII!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
afewhours said:
WalterKinde said:
Phantasy Star, Shining Force,

God, I loved Phantasy Star II and Shining Force I. I've always been a bit surprised by the SF avatars on this site - what gives? 'tis not very Codexy is it? Not that I'm complaining or anything...
You have me to thank for that. I accept donations.

afewhours

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
You have me to thank for that. I accept donations.

Ha hah! Very good, chief. I'm more of an SF1 guy myself. I know SF2 was more polished and less horribly imbalanced, but, meh... I don't know, I just didn't enjoy it as much.

I'm already an organ donor, but you'll have to wait until I die. I suppose I could spare a kidney, but am I a match? Who knows...

WalterKinde

Scholar
Loved Both of them but Shining Force 2 was the first in the Series I played.
That and Phantasy Star 3 and 4 were the first rpgs i played on the Genesis.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I have played phantasy stars years ago, though never finished any, don't remember why. probably because they felt like shit even compared to FF (probably because of too generic anime setting aka medieval + hi-tech)

1eyedking

Erudite
Locue said:
PS. You should have picked Gothic 2.
Wise words. But some bastards thought otherwise.

It's 90% probable I won't continue this thread. I didn't know this game was going to be such an utter piece of shit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
1eyedking said:
Locue said:
PS. You should have picked Gothic 2.
Wise words. But some bastards thought otherwise.

It's 90% probable I won't continue this thread. I didn't know this game was going to be such an utter piece of shit.
Jesus, man, it's Final Fantasy! :D I haven't played one of those that didn't suck 50 percent of the time. (The first one was pretty damn good, though.) You should have put one of the Suikoden-games in the poll instead if you really wanted a console rpg there. They're way superior.

And... well, it's sad but you definitely shouldn't continue the thread if you feel so strongly against the game, kinda defeats the purpose unless you make a parody let's play instead.

afewhours

Scholar
skyway said:
I have played phantasy stars years ago, though never finished any, don't remember why. probably because they felt like shit even compared to FF (probably because of too generic anime setting aka medieval + hi-tech)

PSII is definitely worth a spin. It's not like FF. It's much heavier on the dungeon crawl and lighter on the fruitiness. PSIII has a few interesting innovations, but is a lesser game overall. PSIV pushed the franchise further into standard JRPGness, so I'd avoid that if you couldn't hack FF.

kingcomrade said:
I've actually only played SF2. They remade the first one for GBA, maybe I ought to grab it and play it.

That you should. I've only played the Genesis version of SF1 - I've no idea what the remake is like. The original has a certain manic, slapdash charm that SF2 lacked IMHO.

Murk

Arcane
PS 3 is a game that should have been made 8 years after it actually was made. It was like, attempting to be fairly different - which is BAADDDD. People wanted Phantasy Star to represent hot furry cyborgs and some dude in unexplainable armor using a laser rifle/sword.

Suikoden 1 and 2 are, with the exception of a completely pointless protagonist, wonderful games.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i'D SAy do Arcanum Brave Diplomat next time...

Murk

Arcane
Heh, someone should make a mod where you can talk people into committing suicide.

Keldorn

Scholar
1eyedking said:
This game is seriously below-average and filled with tedious mechanics. I'm flabbergasted (take that, Keldorn) people have found it to be enjoyable.

I love the part where you get to toboggan down the snowy slope. It's like an arcade ACKSHUN fun- ride .................... SWWWOOOooooooooooooooooooOOOsh !

WEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

Keldorn

Scholar
Mikayel said:
PS 3 is a game that should have been made 8 years after it actually was made. It was like, attempting to be fairly different - which is BAADDDD. People wanted Phantasy Star to represent hot furry cyborgs and some dude in unexplainable armor using a laser rifle/sword.

The original PS on the Sega Genesis was friggen AWESOME. I played it in 1992 as a pimply faced teenager. All that repetitive combat in corridors vs. all those robots - rawka. I also remember the starship sequence and the awesome "we gonna fly rocketship to a different planet" ACKSHUN muzak.

"Here we go... YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!"

Phantasy Star !

Honestly, I fully understand the JRPG love, it's ham & cheese nostalgia, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

I was being such a friggen CRPG elitist.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom