Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fort Zombie!

Ironman?

• Yes, ironman!

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No, savescum!

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

Multi-headed Cow

Is there any reason not to designate him as nurse? That +5 healing sounds really useful. Would he be blocked from doing missions if he's designated?
Yeah, that's the thing. IIRC if he's designated as a nurse he's blocked from doing anything else including running on missions for the rest of the day. Could be wrong though, I don't think I've ever tried designating someone a nurse/doctor at the end of a day, so it might be possible to game the system that way. Unless that blocks them the next day. To be honest I usually don't do a nurse or doctor unless I find someone I mentally lock "OK YOU'RE A HEALER NOW".

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How badly hurt is the main protagonist at present? I see him at 66% health, what does that translate to in hps? Would designating a nurse mean he heals up fully at the end of the day, instead of just partially, or is it only a 5% boost?
If having a nurse sets Ben at 100% health again at the end of the day (barring further health lost), negating the morale loss, I vote for that.

If the boost is insignificant however, I vote for having a rifle-man with us for the scavenging. :salute:

Multi-headed Cow

I'm just calling 100HP for 100%. The 5% boost would mean healing an additional 5% of HP total from a rest, which is pretty nice. And the protagonist is at 65% presently, that's after resting after the survivor mission. So assuming no damage during this day's adventures and assuming a nurse, he'd probably be 70-75% the following day.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prolly a nurse. If you get hurt during this run, which is likely, you will fall into bad state. No carpenter to build fort yet, as I dont think you have enough spare resource to spend one guy on that. Prolly food run first. 3 day food is nothing to get complacent about.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, I would go for food and maybe even the other supplies. Sounds like you'll be going through food pretty quickly with another load of survivors.

Curufinwe

Learned
Brave, brave man. Played this a while ago but was put off by the general user-unfriendliness. Pity, the concept could have made a great game. Anyway, casting my vote for food as well.

Multi-headed Cow

Alright, as far as I can tell the winning vote is food mission first, "Supplies" mission second, survivors last if we have time. And Algernon is set to be group nurse, Arthur is set to work on barricades, and Portia will go with Ben on missions. I also take the shitty revolver back from the old dudes and give it to Portia. Since she doesn't have much skill with her fireaxe, she may as well be unskilled with a revolver instead. Especially with so much ammo for it.

vA87E.jpg

Mission begins with a shambler attacking, but revolver and crowbar take care of it. Our objective is to the north.

yOB6I.jpg

Hmm. Need to head in that direction anyway, and this may have loot. Some slight barricades, a jeep, some tents. Could be weapons/ammo/medicine in here. Looks like a fireman zombie and possible a shambler inside. They're killed with ease, but despite many promising looking chests, vehicles, and tables, nothing lootable is found. I hear some gunfire nearby which is likely a zombie. Unfortunately this was a wasted diversion, as the north exit of the park is heavily barricaded. I might be able to jump and wiggle my way past, but I don't think Portia's pathfinding could handle it. Time to look for another way north.

fDXNo.jpg

This was bordering the park. It might not have a back door, but how can I pass up searching it?

swf9K.jpg

Doctor zombie! Doctor and nurse zombies are a real pain in the ass. If they're near the corpse of a dead zombie, they'll reattach all the missing limbs and the zombie will get back up. Of course, on their own they're no more dangerous than a shambler. While searching the building, a nurse zombie gets the drop on Ben and gets a good hit on him. Having a dedicated nurse at the fort will definitely help.
Loot: 4 cans of Citrol soda, 6 boxes of nails, and a walking cane. A pretty big waste considering Ben got hurt, but the building does have a back door so we can continue to the north.
2 shufflers and 2 joggers are outside, but Portia and Ben are an excellent team. Depending on who the zombie goes for either Ben can run around while Portia shoots, or Ben can beat the holy hell out of the zombie with the crowbar while Portia somehow avoids being hit. TEAMWORK!

0NXvO.jpg

While heading north, we encounter this strange overgrown movie theater. We've seen burnt buildings which is understandable, but what's all this plant growth? Last two times I went exploring things didn't go well, but third time's a charm, right?
I see damage popups of zombies attacking the front door to the building, so I prepare for a fight. If things go pear shaped I'm going to be more willing to use the Beretta to try to avoid damage. Football zombie was the one attacking the front door, but he didn't put up much of a fight

RGfHT.jpg

Trail of blood on the ground, empty coffins, "We are coming", "Painless", and "One of us" written in blood, severed hands on the shelf at the concession stand, ok, this seems like any normal movie theater.

nYPkx.jpg

Alright that's a little odd. However a search of the corpse pile turns up a box of shotgun shells, hurray!

sFoqU.jpg

Hmm. Ok.

Jk86U.jpg

JESUS CHRIST. Look at the size of the projection room! This place is nuts! Searching all the corpse piles up here only turns up a single box of 7.62 ammo.

kwes1.jpg

Ok, well, you know how I said zombies with guns are dangerous? They are. While fighting a group of shamblers behind the theater, a soldier zombie pops out of a nearby building. I make a frantic dash behind a wall, and as Portia is running after me she gets shot and killed, 100% to 0% health. If this was a video LP I would be forced, FORCED, to have her body fall in slow motion as dramatic music plays. Either that or have the Myth guy say "Casualty".
Still, I really want to loot her body. Shitty it may be, but that revolver is the only gun of that ammo type we've got, and we've got a ton of ammo for it. A second soldier zombie exits the building as well though, so it's time for me to get the hell out of here. I keep my distance and watch and wait until the zombies leave the immediate area, then I quickly loot Portia's body and sprint away. Rest in piece, Big Rizzle.
Oh Jesus. A third soldier zombie. It appears the mission objective is in a Willy the Fox, but there are soldier zombies all around it. A bunch of sprinting from cover to cover ensues, and hiding behind an army truck with a container in it. A search turns up a box of 9mm, 303, and an MRE! This clearly is worth losing Portia. CLEARLY.

5awVE.jpg

Ok, that was dangerous. I tried to make a run toward the fast food store, thinking to sprint past the zombies and into cover. Didn't work that way, group of 4 zombies right here my cover was going to be. Killed two of them before I ran to cover on the other side of the building. The other side of the building put me in LOS for soldier zombies who started lurching closer. Had to sprint past more ravenous undead and behind the relative safety of this firetruck to catch my breath. Building looked to have 3-6 zombies inside of it, too. I could try to head to the exit in defeat and run back to the fort, but damned if I'm going to lose Portia and not get the food.
Time to engage in that Fort Zombie standby, luring zombies onesies twosies to your hiding place and murdering them.

V0evc.jpg

3 down! Should be able to run near the building fairly safe. I'm able to peek inside and look around with more detail than glancing as I run past, looks like 6 confirmed zombies in the building. These chest-high windows are convenient though, I can stand in front of the window and lure zombies over, then pop them in the head with the revolver with impunity.

ugmQe.jpg

Great, gigantic sausages and salted bacon. A MRE is 10 food units, one of those giant bacons is 10, and a sausage is 12. We also find some coffee, sugar, pickles, lamburger, and salad. I drop the nails picked up earlier to make room for more food. This would be less of a disappointment if Portia was still alive so she could help carry things. Inventory fully loaded, it's time to get out of here.

ynJEp.jpg

To top it all off, while making our way to the exit, Ben gets hit in another sudden zombie attack and is knocked down to 34% health.

EEGsQ.jpg

Our food went from 52 points available to 134. Would've been pushing 160-180 with more carrying capacity, but that's a pretty comfortable stash.

Since things went so poorly I'll ask you guys what you want to do now. Go on the supplies mission? Go on a survivor mission? End turn and hope rest and nursing will heal Ben up? And if we do go on a second mission this day, should I try to take Algernon or Arthur with me?

dextermorgan

Arcane
I'd say recruit more meatshields, looks like you're going to need them - and there's one mouth less to feed now. Shame about Portia, even if she was an adult female model shrunk to 60% size.

Arpad

Educated
More survivors. Those gothic writers are needed at the fort. Go alone.

Phelot

Arcane
I would rest. Gotta get that health back up. Hopefully the doctor dude will heal a lot. Next day I would go for more survivors with the dude that's good with the rifle.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nooooooo~ The loss of teenage tittays is felt keenly. We need more survivors, preferably of the tits persuasion.

But rest first. A dangerous mission like the recent deserve one period of rest to recover. We've got enough food for a week, anyway

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah you fools! He needs healing. He's in no state to try and initiate new teenage girls into his harem.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Healing? Rance would kill all you fools for your impudence. The only way to rest is while accompanied by a group of cute girls.

Multi-headed Cow

Looks like 4 votes rest and 5 votes do a survivor mission for more little girls. I'll head to the nearest survivor mission (Travel time of 4 hours 20 minutes) as opposed to the most distant survivor mission which has a travel time of 8 hours. Do distant missions have better rewards? Damned if I know.

ULJp9.jpg

Portia mentioned I should check out a church, but that looks awfully suspicious.
HOLY FUCK ABORT ABORT. Just as I was heading toward the entrance to the church, damage numbers start flying from the front door and I hear rapid gunfire. Sounds like a bunch of zombies are inside, including gun zombies. Church is on the corner of the map exit, too. Going to be a bitch getting any survivors out of here if a ton of gun zombies are on the loose. Hopefully they'll stay inside.
We run across the street and cut through an alley by a gas station. Few zombies on the loose, nothing too noteworthy so far. We find a lighter on a partially eaten corpse in a school bus. There's also a police zombie with a gun on the street just outside the alley. Looks like the best plan is to sprint across the street and run between a couple houses on the other side.
Ben gets damaged (Down to 26%) while running from a large pack of zombies into another pack of zombies in an overgrown and corpse filled grocery store, similar to the movie theater.

i3xH8.jpg

Ok, this other church seems to be where the mission marker is pointing. The doors are locked so we smash our way in.

3NouA.jpg

Hey, HEY! You don't look like women! You don't look like women at all!

TIhyT.jpg

Iek7U.jpg

Well we've found Portia's grandfather, and FOR SOME REASON he doesn't trust us and thinks we get people killed. He refuses to join the group, and there's not really anything we can do to change his mind. Interaction skillcheck was a failure!

dKbpl.jpg

We got a new lovable (?) moppet to join our team, though. With a name like Rowan it may be female, but the face looks more Innsmouth than anything. Decent with guns, though. I would hand him the revolver, but since I mostly ran here instead of sneaking and clearing I'd rather not he try to fight. Getting back to the exit is going to involve a lot of running.
While making our way to the exit we come upon a triage station. After clearing away the zombies, a search turns up some painkillers (6 medicine units), antibiotics (10 medicine units), and a roll of duct tape.

JOEHy.jpg

OH GOD ZOMBIES AND A ZOMBIE WITH A GUN. This escalated into a full out fight when the little idiot refused to hide behind cover with me and went on a waaaagh. Rowan was knocked down to 83% health, but all zombies but the gun zombie got killed, and I was able to run us both past the cop to safety.

Hh3nH.jpg

On the way to the exit we also find this damaged/heavily looted grocery store. Since there weren't any zombies around, I poked my head in. Loot: Candy bars (4 food), a can of Popzi cola (1 food)

pweWF.jpg

Also some dogs playing poker in the bathroom.
Strangely enough just down the street we find a second, nearly identical looted and bloodstained grocery store. Loot: Can of Citrol (1 food), candybars (4 food), a can of Sup (1 food)

Mission complete! We go from 134 food and 33 medicine to 145 food and 49 medicine, +1 child.

Rowan's story:
"Willow fell. I told her not to wear those stupid girl shoes, but she wouldn't listen. My grandpa always said that the women in our family were stubborn, but I swear my sister was the worst of the lot. She has to wear those dumb girl things with the buckles when everyone knows that if you want to run you wear tennis shoes.

I stopped and tried to help her up. Mom was still holding Artie by the hand. The crowd was so big and moving so fast that they were carrying mom and Artie away like a river. Someone stepped on Willow and she screamed out loud--I just shoved him as hard as I could and made him fall. I didn't notice until he was on the ground and other people were stepping on HIM that he was carrying another person, a bleeding girl.

The next thing I know, we're surrounded by people and running as fast as we can. Everyone was trying to get out, and there were zombies mixed in with the crowd. One of them was a dead fireman. He was still carrying the bloody axe in his hand, chopping down people whenever they were in his way. Willow and I just kept on running until we got through the gate--then somehow she somehow ended up on the wrong side of the fence..."

7:22PM game time. Time to call it a day.
Journal entries:
The first barricade (I have two barricades being built in front of the two stairways in the main lobby of the police station, the theory being keep the zombies pinned in the lobby while we (Hopefully) shoot them from above) is 64% done after one day.

Skill improvements:
Algernon increases first aid to 24
Arthur increases carpentry to 16
Ben (PC) increases Beretta to 4, clubs to 34, Colt detective to 5, interaction to 26, lock pick to 3, pistol to 56, scout to 3, sneak to 10, spot to 32
Rowan has increased hand to hand to 2, scout to 2, and sneak to 4

Morale:
"Bad news. We've lost Portia Smith. It hurts, but at least it was a clean death. I think the fact that we can't give anyone a proper burial and a funeral is what really brings morale down by 2"
I'm hurt pretty bad and it's affecting my morale. Morale is down by 1
Saving Rowan Dunsany improves morale by 1

560ok.jpg

Two specifically food missions, one "Supplies" mission, and a few people survivor mission. Ben's up to 47% health after a rest, medicine, and nursing.
What's the plan now, Codex? What missions if any, and what survivors to take with us if any? Could take Rowan if you're not afraid of losing another kid. Surely that won't happen twice in a row, right?

Phelot

Arcane
REST!!!! Also, that mission seemed like a waste :bummed we got a boy instead of a girl: :lol:

Portia's grandfather is just butthurt his granddaughter was race mixed.

lightbane

Arcane
WVMye.jpg

I suspect this guy is somehow responsible of this whole mess. I suggest the survivors mission. The more we are, the more meatshields we have merrier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom