Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fort Zombie!

Ironman?

• Yes, ironman!

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No, savescum!

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

pipka

Savant
No womyn?!
:rage:

As for vote: go for the nearest mission (whichever) and after that rest.

Multi-headed Cow

Had a day there where I didn't do an update, so I'll do a second update today. Plus the last one was a bit short so it hardly counts. Right? Right.
Total at the start of working on this update is one vote spend the rest of the day resting, one vote gather survivors, and one vote to go to the nearest mission and then rest the remainder of the day. I'm going to mash the votes together and do a survivor mission (Which is fairly close in travel time to the nearest mission (Which is food)) and then rest the remainder of the day. I don't know if resting with more time left on the clock gives you more health or not, but at the very least it minimizes your risk of taking MORE damage.
Since no one specified any desire one way or the other on survivors, I'll leave the two old dudes as they are. Though I'll move Arthur to working on the other barricade. Since he got about 60% done on one barricade in one day, seems more efficient to put him on the other since we might be able to finish the partially built one with whoever we rescue. I'll take Rowan on the mission and give him the revolver.

skJou.jpg

Mission progress so far, taking out a few shamblers with no complications and running inside a house to head toward the objective. But OH GOD A COP ZOMBIE ON THE STREET OUTSIDE. Things escalate when he spots Rowan and starts firing on the house, attracting other zombies who start smashing on the door. Fortunately the cop moves closer to the house and I'm able to pop him in the head with the Beretta from the window, and club the rest of the zombies with the crowbar.
A quick search of all the junk on the lawn turns up a roll of duct tape and a car battery. I head across the street to the walled off park. A jeep and a few army tents are inside. As well as...

uyOs3.jpg

OH MY GOD SHE HAS AN M16 (Which uses 5.56 ammo, of which she has 25 of 30 shots in the gun and no extras). No combat skills, but excellent lockpick and sneak and pretty good scout. She's also an aunt of Rowan's!

NW9TC.jpg

OH MY GOD SHE'S 7 AND HAS A DRIVER'S LICENSE (Rowan was listed as library card at least) AND APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY USELESS.
A search of the area turns up a gas can and some Granolog bars (10 food)
While running to the exit, I discover Lucia decides she can attack at extremely long range since she has a rifle, and starts firing bursts at zombies minding their own business in a nearby house. Make that 13/30 ammo.

Safe at base! I put the misc junk in the pile, as well as the M16. We've got one box of 25 rounds of 5.56, so firing a burst rifle with so little ammo seems silly.

Lucia Dunsany's story:
"I haven't slept a solid night since Lookout Mountain. Every time I close my eyes, I still see the look on my friend Niobe's face... She was just 18 years old. We'd never seen what could happen when soldiers started dying of the Rot--no one warned us to watch for the ones that tried to walk out of the field hospital. First sign we had of how bad things would get was when our CO got up out of his sick bed, put his uniform back on, and managed to get his hands on a gun.

He killed six people before they put him down, and Niobe was one of them. She died with a hole the size of a grapefruit in her back, shot with the .303 that should have been on our side. Within a week, the civilians were running away or hiding when they saw us coming--so many soldiers had turned that they were terrified of anyone in uniform. We couldn't save anyone. Including ourselves."

Christine Chambers' story:
"Mrs. Stewart was whispering very soft. She said that we had to have a Quiet Mouse Fire Drill, and we would all pretend to be mice. So we got in a line and we all pretended to be Quiet Mice and we tip-toed out to the playground. Then she took us to her big car and said we all had to try to fit inside. It was a Quiet Sardine Fire Drill! So all of us squished into the seats and sat on top of each other and we were real quiet, except for Billy and Monica, and they complained because Jimmy Patterson was sitting on them and he was so fat.

Mrs. Stewart drove to her house and we all went inside to be Hiding Mice. She gave us some cookies and juice. We were real scared. Mrs. Stewart was scared too. She was even more scared when she looked out the window and saw the monsters coming. She told us to go down to the basement and hide, and be very quiet, quiet mice. And then she went outside. I know I wasn't supposed to, but I stayed at the window and saw her waving her arms at them and even jumping up and down. She was shouting "Over here! Over here!" so they would chase her. And then she ran away to make them follow.

That's why the monsters didn't get us. They ate Mrs. Stewart instead."

And as promised, we settle in for a rest. I assign Christine and Lucia to work on the partially finished barricade. Though they have no carpentry skill they may be able to finish it.

Journal entries:
The first barricade was finished, and the second reached 67%

Skill improvements:
Algernon reached 25 in first aid
Arthur reached 17 in carpentry
Christine reached 22 in scout and 34 in sneak
Ben (PC) reached 5 in Beretta, 36 in clubs, 27 in interaction, 4 in scout, 13 in sneak, and 33 in spot
Lucia has reached 2 in M-16 and 30 in scout
Rowan has reached 2 in Colt detective, 37 in interaction, 3 in scout, and 7 in sneak

Morale:
Saving Christine Chambers improves morale by 1
We managed to finish a barricade today, which has lifted everyone's spirits. Morale increases by 1.
Reputation increases by 5

Yep, apparently you get morale for saving kids but not adults.

RrpCw.jpg

Our missions for the day. The supplies mission is "Supplies", two survivor missions, and a possible weapons and ammo cache that it says we hope is still there. We're at 32 food consumed a day and have 102 in storage.

What now? I honestly don't remember if supplies missions that say supplies instead of food will give food or misc junk for traps and shit like nails and duct tape. Or weapons. Been at least a year since I last played Fort Zombie. More survivors would probably be useful, but also increases our food concerns. Weapons and ammo also might be nice since the revolver is slowly creeping through the piles of ammo available for it, as is the Beretta even though I've been using it as little as I've dared. Ben's getting quite good at zombie crowbarring.
Also what you want to do with the survivors. Could probably work on barricading the lobby more if so desired, or put Lucia and Christine finishing the barricade and take the old dude with great blades skill and give him the axe. Or just keep Rowan. CODEEEEEEEEEEX!

Also alarming to get another super fast and easy update. Things went suspiciously well.

kazgar

Arcane
Should finish your core barricades at least, then you won't need to stress about them and anything else done on the place before ITZ is a bonus (and the morale may be useful) leave whoever is most useless to finish em off?

otherwise, supplies and weapons, still only got 3 days of food, more people right now are just going to make that worse (unless you thin out your herd of stragglers buy taking them on missions poorly equipped)

Lindblum

Augur
3 days food left. Supplies first.
Weapons next with the increasing mouths to feed you're going to need some serious hard ware to efficiently scavenge.

ironyuri

3 days food left. Supplies first.
Weapons next with the increasing mouths to feed you're going to need some serious hard ware to efficiently scavenge.

This looks pretty good. Personally, I'd have save-scummed to keep the 13 y/o, then you might've gotten that prize fighter, who you really needed.

Right now, I think you want survivors first, because you need more meatshields. Then focus on getting food with their help. You have enough NPCs to "hold the fort" for now, but you need someone who can help you fight because your PC is getting his shit pushed in.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Weapons then other supplies. Take the old blade runner with you and leave the others to finish the barricades and maybe try to start a trap or two if they are worth it.

You have too little food to get more people.

Multi-headed Cow

but you need someone who can help you fight because your PC is getting his shit pushed in.
Hey! I'm killing a lot of zombies I'll have you know. It's just that attrition wears you down in Fort Zombie since healing is typically pretty slow (I was slightly wrong when I said you couldn't heal in the field, technically you CAN if you have someone with a decent first aid skill and have medical supplies on them, and they heal the person who was damaged quickly) and those occasional hits add up. :rpgcodex:

And though I'll savescum if Ben dies (Except possibly in the very end battle, since we'd get a game over screen even if we win (Just a more pleasant one)) I'm still going hardcore enough to let survivors die as they will. Supposedly they can be turned to zombies as well but I've never had it happen. It's tied to both low health and low morale (If you hadn't noticed by now this zombie apocalypse isn't exactly a disease, it's more magic/otherworldy power and cultist related), and I've never had a game where people were in a bad enough way to turn. And for anyone interested, no deaths yet. If I do die I'll probably post the update as far as I made it and a picture of the game over screen, then have to write a new update after I load since the play area will be generated from scratch again even if I go to the same mission.

ironyuri

but you need someone who can help you fight because your PC is getting his shit pushed in.
Hey! I'm killing a lot of zombies I'll have you know. It's just that attrition wears you down in Fort Zombie since healing is typically pretty slow (I was slightly wrong when I said you couldn't heal in the field, technically you CAN if you have someone with a decent first aid skill and have medical supplies on them, and they heal the person who was damaged quickly) and those occasional hits add up. :rpgcodex:

And though I'll savescum if Ben dies (Except possibly in the very end battle, since we'd get a game over screen even if we win (Just a more pleasant one)) I'm still going hardcore enough to let survivors die as they will. Supposedly they can be turned to zombies as well but I've never had it happen. It's tied to both low health and low morale (If you hadn't noticed by now this zombie apocalypse isn't exactly a disease, it's more magic/otherworldy power and cultist related), and I've never had a game where people were in a bad enough way to turn. And for anyone interested, no deaths yet. If I do die I'll probably post the update as far as I made it and a picture of the game over screen, then have to write a new update after I load since the play area will be generated from scratch again even if I go to the same mission.

Bro, I didn't mean it like that. More that you need a meatshield so your PC stops taking those hits. A BRO in arms.

ironyuri

So I got Fort Zombie and have played 9 days, have saved 8 survivors, got a bunch of weapons and over 500 food (but using 60 per day).

Does the game have any point after a few days? Also, what's with kids and old people?

Multi-headed Cow

Does the game have any point after a few days?
You're preparing for the big crush of zombies at the end. If you survive that, then it's game over and you won. You definitely can reach a point where you're just killing time, but to be fair if you think you're ready you can just keep ending turn until the big battle.
And I dunno what's up with all the kids and old people. Maybe kids and old people tend to have higher morale so they zombified less.

ironyuri

Multi-headed BRO, as advice from my current playthrough, eventhough it's only my first time: what I'm finding works best is to set my companions to defend at spawn, and to attack only things that come to close range (small gun), that way they don't waste lots of rifle stuff unless zombies actually attack.

Npcs with burst fire are stupid though, hmph. Also pathfinding sucks if you're trying to avoid zombies, as far as npcs coming along is concerned.

Also, by "the big crush" at the end, is that when zombies attack the fort and you find them off? I've savescummed that away a few times so I could keep exploring.

Multi-headed Cow

Yep. I had been leaving it on long range since it doesn't really matter with pistols since they're so short ranged, but didn't think to change it until she started firing the M-16 wildly.

TripJack

Hedonist
guns followed by supplies

keep the child with you, hopefully the zombies will go after his delicious childflesh before they come at you

Multi-headed Cow

If my entirely scientific calculations are correct, majority Codex opinion is supplies mission first, weapons mission second, and leave all NPCs except the old dude (And the old dude set to nurse because I'll be damned if I'm taking him off nursing until Ben is healed!) skilled with blades at base making barricades, and old dude with axe is coming with Ben as backup. Very well then!

Also learned of a possible bug. It appears the specific mission text changes each time you load a game. So our "Supplies" mission went to a food mission until I reloaded and got "Supplies" again. I'm unsure if the mission text changes the content of a mission or not, but I was under the impression it did. Exploitable bug if anyone has a burning desire for food and gets a supplies class mission with "Supplies" text.

iYoe1.jpg

A mission more toward the east! Not the ubiquitous north! Could it be a sign? A SIGN OF WONDERFUL TREASURE?
Few zombies in the starting area. Basic shamblers, so I take the time to murder them with Arthur. Ben's decent clubs skill and crowbar combined with Arthur's good blades skill and fireaxe makes short work of the zombies. Barring zombies with guns, this seems like it should be excellent.

CJDg5.jpg

A heavily populated grocery store. I'm not sure the quest marker is pointing here, but I want to check it out anyway 5 zombies down with no hits on survivors!
Almost all of the shelves are looted bare, but we manage to collect: 1 box of crackers (2 food units), 4 cans of Fud (5 units each), 3 boxes of Cereo (3 units), a box of Natural Living (5 units), a can of Kenball soup (3 units), 3 packages of Herkey's jerky (3 units), 2 packages of Famished Guy (6 units), and 17 cans of various soda (1 each)
This wasn't our mission objective, but we made out like bandits!
We start to hear loud gunfire near the back of the store. Presumably a zombie. Then the pace quickens, presumably more than one zombie. I take a peek out the back door while collecting all the food and spot a police zombie in a building across the alley. Going to guess at least 2, if not 3 or 4 of them judging by the sound. Quest is pointing that direction. Fuck. Time to out the front door and try circling around the grocery store, maybe we can avoid the cops.

o7vCe.jpg

Cops avoided, they seem to be clumped in some buildings and the alley back there. We continue along the main road and hit a traffic jam with zombies all around. Since Ben and Arthur are unstoppable killing machines however, all the zombies are bludgeoned and axed to death with no damage taken. Yeeeeeah! Things going smoothly, I like this.

VmIXy.jpg

I jinxed it. Our mission objective WAS the traffic jam, there are boxes scattered all around, as well as zombies. Things were going decently until a cop zombie showed up. I pulled out the Beretta and fired a whole clip at it at medium range, but all that good luck dried up when a full clip couldn't manage to kill the damn thing. What happened to all those one shot kills I was getting? WHAT HAPPENED!? Arthur gets shot and chewed up, but we finally kill the last of the zombies. Let's see what the prize is.
Loot: 4 boxes of crackers (2 units), 6 jerky (6), 9 granolog bars (10), 3 boxes of pasta (4) 2 water jugs (3), 1 can of soda (1), 1 Natural Living (5), 1 Eat Flakes (3), 1 Cheezholes (2), 2 coffee (3), 2 potato chips (2), 1 gas can, 1 car battery, 2 rolls of duct tape and a car spring
Mission complete! We run back to the exit with all our swag, even leaving some un-noted food behind due to lack of inventory space. Apart from Arthur getting hurt in the last fight, this was a good food run.

3a6ad.jpg

We go from 102 food available to 330. Feeling pretty comfortable with that.
Although Arthur got hurt, I'll stick with the laid out plan and make a run on the weapons mission next. I've got the survivors finishing the second barricade and upgrading the first barricade from light to heavy. Or medium. I don't remember if there's a medium. Upgrading!

ironyuri

Multi-Headed BRO,

If you see those butcher shops, go in and search the food counters whenever you can, more than once I've turned up sausages (12 food) and even occassionally baked hams (50 food), usually during weapons or survivor missions.

They'll usually have 1-2 zombies inside dressed like butchers, but they're easily done, and there's almost always a convenient butcher shop en route back to exit. The 50 food is great.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, those hams are ridiculously good. I'm normally more rigorous with my non-objective looting when I'm playing by myself, but for the LP I'm mostly sticking with what immediately is in our path and/or looks lightly guarded. Mostly.

ironyuri

Yeah, those hams are ridiculously good. I'm normally more rigorous with my non-objective looting when I'm playing by myself, but for the LP I'm mostly sticking with what immediately is in our path and/or looks lightly guarded. Mostly.

Right now I'm using 90 food per day because the elderly and children don't want to give their rations to the strong mid-20 somethings. Bastards.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Gunz!!! All these ammo boxes and no weapons to fire them.

How long does it usually take for ITZ to happen?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The food situation seems pretty much in order. I'd say you'd need weapons and ammo, more meat puppets and then to slowly start working on your impenetrable fortress/deathtrap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom