Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Fort Zombie!

Ironman?

• Yes, ironman!

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No, savescum!

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters

ironyuri

I found Cynthia Geiss, the Teacher (Key 3) in my playthrough, MHC. But she took a few hits on the way back to the Fort and contracted the Rot.

:yeah:

Multi-headed Cow

Is this any good? These zombie LPs made me go and catch up with that series (stopped watching after initial episodes when it first came out), and now I'm wanting for moar.
The adventure game is good in a cartoon/TV show kind of way. Not so much as an adventure, only 2-3 minor puzzles in the first episode, the meat of your enjoyment is the story. They're billing it as having C&C which will impact the future episodes, but since only episode 1 is out at the moment it's hard to gauge.
Still, mostly pretty good. The game and comic are both better than the TV show I'd say.

I found Cynthia Geiss, the Teacher (Key 3) in my playthrough, MHC. But she took a few hits on the way back to the Fort and contracted the Rot.

:yeah:
Lucky devil, getting a special character AND zombie-itus! What happened to her? Did she get cured or turn?

Phelot

Arcane
Are there night missions? I see flashlights on some guns, but I can't recall you using them. Anyway, sounds like you should do the survivor mission first.

Multi-headed Cow

Are there night missions? I see flashlights on some guns, but I can't recall you using them. Anyway, sounds like you should do the survivor mission first.
Kinda, yeah. There is a finite amount of time to do missions in a day, but if you take longer you can do the missions in the dark. You could start to see that on the previous page with the 4PM mission. Dark missions tend to have more zombies (I think) and they're naturally harder to spot to I tend to avoid it when possible.

pipka

Savant
Will one of the survivors contract the Zombie Syphilis? Will Ben die and live ... again? This and more old women you'll see in the next update! Stay with us!

Multi-headed Cow

Enough slowpoking on my part, ZAMBIE!
When we last left our hero, he had a bunch of weapons missions and a survivor mission available. Going to hit the survivor mission first, then try to do as many weapons missions as possible before the day's up.

vR8RW.jpg

I see you in there! A rather uneventful trip to the survivor, our group made short work of any shamblers that appeared, and Ben was able to quickly Beretta the one soldier zombie that showed up. Now to figure out how to get in there and save this guy.

tzVnJ.jpg

Luke Chambers! More fodder to work on barricades. We may be able to upgrade the two barricades blocking the stairs to heavy, hopefully stopping the zombies long enough to slaughter them from the balcony above.
Loot from Luke's shed: 2 car springs, 2 boxes of nails, a roll of duct tape, a crowbar, 3 boxes of shotgun shells (SHEESH if only we had a shotgun) and a salami (12 food units)
Loot from the triage tents near the shed: A painkiller (6 medical units) and a roll of gauze (3 medical units)

eWEhq.jpg

A second survivor! Checking the house near the shed paid off. His rifle skill should be handy during ITZ, he's also carrying a shovel (Uses blades skill) and a second salami. Guess this is a sausage fest eh? EH!?!? GUYS!?!?!?!? WHY ARE YOU LEAVING!?!?!?!?!?
A search of the house turns up no loot except for a second Lee Enfield (.303) rifle. It's no shotgun, but I believe we have enough .303 ammo to make two rifles using it viable.

2Tu6Y.jpg

Hurray!

Luke Chambers' story:
"I was driving a refrigerated truck to Memphis when I come up to a military check-point on the freeway. Soldiers with automatic rifles made me pull my rig over the side of the road, and then some guy with chest full of sapghetti and a face like mile of rough road is telling me that they're commandeering my vehicle. And this is bad enough, but then they sons-of-bitches start unloading my freight right in the middle of damned nowhere--hundreds of gallons of the finest ice cream money can buy!-and reloading my truck with hundreds of black body bags.

They start telling me that I'm going to drive this truck to some army base in Nevada, that martial law has been declared and I have to follow their orders. But the minute I saw some of those bags were still moving? I told Mr. Spaghetti Chest to go directly to hell--do not pass god, do not collect 200 dollars. They even tried putting a gun to my head-I just laughed in their faces. 'You boys want to roll the dice that I won't get right back up again and bite one of you in the ass?'

They roughed me up a little and cussed me plenty, but there was no way they could make me drive a truck full of military zombies to the middle of god-knows-where. Finally they drove away and left me there by the side of the road. I had thousands of gallons of Blue Bell ice cream melting down all around me in the hot sun; I just sat there and handed it out to the cars waiting to pass through the checkpoint until someone offered me a ride. It was the end of the world; I figured screw Uncle Sam. It's even odds that this whole mess is the government's fault anyway."

Theodosius Ashton's story:
"It isn't just people who fight this infection. The land fights it too--and loses. Our family lived on 40 acres by the river close to 100 years. We had good bottomland that would grow most anything you planted, and an orchard of trees that my great-grandfather put in over the course of his life.

I was standing in the field one evening just about sundown when I heard my land's pain. In the distance I heard the crack of snapping wood, and when I looked toward the east I saw the trees in the orchard shaking, as if there was a strong wind moving through them. One of them had already fallen and broke a limb as it went down. Now one by one they were trembling more and more violently and then suddenly lurching over in all directions, like drunks who can't stay on their feet. Some of them toppled over completely, groaning and snapping as they went down. Others just leaned over like that tower in Pisa, as if they wanted to fall and just couldn't make it all the way to the ground.

I started running then, running toward the orchard as if I could somehow save them. I wasn't more than halfway there when I took a step that suddenly betrayed my weight, and found myself buried to my calf in a soft, wet mess.

There was a rustle and a whisper all around me, a vibration in the earth. Slowly I was sinking further into the soft ground, struggling not to fall face first into the heaving mass in front of me which already had my leg and seemed to press and squeeze around my foot like a cold toothless mouth.

Looking down at the mess slowly rising, my blood ran cold. I was up nearly to my knee in a swarming mass of earthworms, their bodies all squirming wet and flowing around me in a single direction.

It was as if the earth had suddenly turned into water. I'd never seen worms act that way in my life, and I never could have dreamed they could show up in such quantity, so closely packed together, and all be moving in the same direction. But they were flowing past me to the west, streaming in their slow squirming passage around my leg as if I were a rock in the stream-bed.

Around me I could hear the land groan, and the trees shuddering and trembling with undermined roots as they collapsed. I didn't know it then, but the earthworms were just a warning."

Damn, couple of chatty Cathies joined the fort!
I set Luke to work building a zomapult on one of the stairways. In the event that barricade falls, hopefully this trap will knock zombies back down the stairs. Since this is the first trap we have the materials to build we may as well try. I assume his mechanical and metal-working skill makes him well suited to it.
I set Theodosius to work on the barricades. Even though he has good rifle skills, I'll keep the melee blob for the raiding team at the moment. In the event of gun zombies getting a lucky shot while doing missions, I kinda want to keep a few good shots safe in the fort for ITZ. By that same token I leave Lovecraft behind.

eetd8.jpg

TO WEAPONS! I do check the butcher shop on the corner, but the only food inside is a single package of lamburger (3 food units).

gVNSy.jpg

Well, I found the mission objective. Looks distressingly dangerous, my objective is the cargo of that crashed car in the police barricade, and it looks like there's an army truck down the road a bit. But there's ALSO two zombie cops and at least two zombie soldiers. I tell the NPCs to hand back and pull out the Beretta. Cop zombies down in 4 shots with no hits on Ben. All the noise attracted a few shamblers from the nearby park, so I run back and let the melee team handle them. Also stirred up some zombies in the sporting goods store who start bashing the doors.

9wqbw.jpg

Success! Ben was nibbled on a few times by shamblers, but that's a very acceptable outcome for that many gun zombies in one area. Time to loot!
Loot from the chest in the black car: Glock model 21 (.45 ACP), Glock model 22 (.40 cal), 6 boxes of .45 ACP, 4 boxes of .40, 9 boxes of 9mm (!)
Loot from the partially eaten police corpse: Colt new service revolver (.38, a slightly less shit .38 revolver!), 2 boxes of .38 fed
Loot from the army truck: Rope, and a roll of duct tape. Maaaaaaan.

And we safely return back to base. Not a bad run. Time for third mission of the day, pushing it for more guns!

xlJgw.jpg

I'm a-skeerd.

1xn73.jpg

Zombies everywhere again! Super easy for zombies to creep up on you in the dark unless you see the bright red "Mmmm... Brains...." text when they spot you. Progress is a bit slow what with smacking a bunch of zombies to advance, but no damage yet.

gZJBg.jpg

Oh god. At this point I hear wild gunfire nearby. To the tune of 5+ gun zombies, possibly. I can see at least two here. I tell the melee folk to guard this location and get to shooting with the Beretta. I've got the new .38 revolver also, but I'm more skilled with the Beretta and it has a flashlight.

Ynmot.jpg

MAKE SHOOT MAKE SHOOT MAKE SHOOT! Enough shoot is eventually made, and 5 gun zombies and an assload of shamblers are taken down. Ben gets hit and knocked to 55% health, and there are at least 2 more gun zombies in a nearby fenced off greenhouse, but we're safe for the moment. I check out the triage tents and pick up some gauze (3 medical units), a painkiller (6 medical units), and a roll of duct tape. Nathan also gets knocked down to 82% health.

aqnrg.jpg

I don't like night missions! I DON'T LIKE THEM ONE BIT!

0kbck.jpg

Shit, the other gun zombies got loose. MAKE SHOOT AGAIN.

Jl2ap.jpg

One cop zombie down, then I ran the fuck away from there after getting nicked and brought to 23% health. I hand Lillian the gauze we just found out of a tent and have her give Ben first aid. Just have to prop him up long enough to survive this mission, a rest at the fort should cure the rest.
The first aid heals him up to 26%. That's... Not terribly useful even with her great first aid skill, but as mentioned the vast majority of your healing in Fort Zombie comes from resting at the fort and having dedicated healers there.

s8Um1.jpg

More goddamn zombies, and that one remaining gun zombie is tagging along at a distance firing wildly. I'm a bit too scared to go after him myself since even a grazing shot is likely to kill Ben. Nathan gets taken down to 77% life after this encounter.

TkiAZ.jpg

Getting near the objective. I think.

uqeFO.jpg

Ugh. Can't even see zombies in buildings easily. NIGHT MISSIOOOOOOOOOOON!

6Lumu.jpg

Great. Looks like our mission objective is an army truck, complete with a cop (Behind the fireman) and two soldier zombies. At least. GREAT. I duck behind a building for cover and try to think things through. I'm not really able to lure the gun zombies to an ambush, since they'll just move to maximum range and start firing. I also realize that the revolver is useless since it uses .38 win and not .38 fed, which is what I'm carrying.
So... Options. Options. Attempt to run past gun zombies and hide on the other side of the truck, hope there are no zombies back there, grab what loot I can and run back? Possible. Bravely charge forward and die in a hail of gunfire? Also possible. Try to nudge melee team toward the zombies and hope they'll survive any damage they take while I try to pop the zombies in the back of the head? Also possible.
I end up deciding to try running for the loot. I'm fairly sure this is in the corner of the playable area, so the odds of the other side of the truck being zombie-free are a bit more in my favor. Begin playing A-Team theme!

K1jr9.jpg

THAT'S NOT ZOMBIE FREE AT ALL! IN FACT THERE ARE GUN ZOMBIES BACK HERE! ABORT, ABORT!

sHq8o.jpg

Ok, I somehow managed to run back to my safe zone with barely any endurance and didn't get killed. I don't really want to run back to the fort empty handed, but this mission is kicking my ass.

5EV1L.jpg

7VUmq.jpg

Ork strategy prevails! Getting stuck in wit da boyz and giving the zombies a good thump works! Lillian gets shot and knocked down to 13% health, but all (?) of the gun zombies are dead!
Loot: M16 (5.56), 2 M1911 (Pistol, .45 ACP), 2 MREs (10 food units each), 2 boxes of .38 fed, 3 boxes of .38 win, 1 box of .44, and....

DRVH9.jpg

HNNNGH. That's not a shotgun, but that's AN AWFUL LOT OF AMMO. 3 boxes of .303, 12 boxes of 7.62, 3 boxes of .45 ACP, and 12 boxes of 5.56 to be exact! All of it gets scooped up, and excess is put on Nathan. Now to get out of here alive with the prize.

WBYlL.jpg

YES! The advantage of the hellish fighting to get to the objective was the path back was relatively safe. We arrive back at the fort at 12:02 AM. All new weapons, ammo, medicine and food is dropped in the stash and it's time to rest!

Journal:
Finished upgrading both barricades to heavy
Got about 50% done on the zomapult

Skill improvements:
Algernon raised first aid to 30
Christine raised metal-working to 4
Ben (PC) raised clubs to 46, first aid to 12, scout to 11, sneak to 29
Lillian raised blades to 29, first aid to 46, interaction to 38, machete to 4, scout to 4, sneak to 11
Luke raised hand to hand to 24, interaction to 2, mechanical to 33, metal-working to 22, scout to 23, sneak to 4
Lula Belle raised metal-working to 14
Nathan raised blades to 28, first aid to 2, scout to 4, sneak to 9
Philip Lovecraft raised hand to hand to 39, interaction to 2, scout to 41
Rowan raised carpentry to 7
Theodosius raised scout to 41, sneak to 40
Whitely raised medicine to 50

Morale:
Reputation improved by 5

vr88H.jpg

2 days until ITZ, just survivor and supplies missions available today. We're at 109 food and using 80 food a day.
Got any suggestions Codex? We're getting near the end here. We're pretty well stocked on food weapons, ammo, survivors, and possibly barricades. If you bros want we could do a supplies mission so we're alright on food, and then rest our way to ITZ. I'm not sure we'd get much more powerful at this point.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Supplies mission sounds good to me, but that depends on what happens when you run out of food. Will the morale go down? The reputation?
If we can go one day without much food then I think it's better to just rest.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm fairly sure only morale would go down, I don't think we'd lose anyone. At this point we've seen the main meat of the game though, and are fairly comfortably positioned for the final battle. We might get a key character during a survivor mission, but it's not very likely. We also might find a shotgun somewhere, but at this point it wouldn't make that big of a difference. Most likely.

Resting wouldn't really gain us anything at the fort apart from work on any additional barricades/traps. But since we're so close to the end we probably could. If I was playing by myself I'd do that, or have done it a day or two ago.

pipka

Savant
Intense!
Go for more survivors, you harem of old men is not big enough, if no more supplies are required. And where is fun in resting, where there is more fun to get from seeing you struggle.

Multi-headed Cow

Go supplies, unless you think more survivors are worth it. You might even find a shotgun in the lootz too.
We're probably pretty good on survivors, but more wouldn't hurt for the final battle. Still, since the voting seems to be leaning toward doing more missions I may do a supplies mission so we're alright on food and then advance a day and ask the plan depending on the missions available then.

Also tried to post a thread pointing to the LP on the Kerberos (Developers of Fort Zombie) forums for shits and giggles, but it needs moderator approval. Bummer.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Count how many guns you have, and how many survivors that would make best use of them and the remainder using the leftover. If you have more guns, get survivors then supplies, if you have more survivors, get supplies then survivors. Having an extra few hands could be useful, especially if they have better than current survivor combat abilities.

kazgar

Arcane
Shouldn't you also change ben's loadout, unless you're going to stick with the beretta for ITZ? be better to get some points in another weapon if that's your final plan?

survivors could be good, especially if you run faster than them during the invasion, let those dudes get eaten, but pika-cthulhu makes sense.

Multi-headed Cow

Shouldn't you also change ben's loadout, unless you're going to stick with the beretta for ITZ? be better to get some points in another weapon if that's your final plan?
That's not a bad idea, but I was sorta thinking I'd use the Beretta or the asskicking revolver while we're "Safe" during ITZ and it's a turkey shoot, and then if the zombies break the barricades or things get rough, I'd have Ben carrying one of the automatic weapons for extra dakka when and where needed. He might not have skill with it, but there will be SO MANY zombies it won't really matter, he'll be spraying at a wall of baddies. He'll hit something.

Here's a list of our weapons by ammo-type and how much ammo we have of that type:

1 M1-Garand
1 AK-47
19 boxes of 7.62
(Since the garand is semi-auto I'd give a larger amount of that to whoever uses the AK)

1 MAC-10
1 Tommygun
2 Glock model 21
2 M1911
21 boxes of .45 ACP
(MAC-10 and tommygun are automatics so they'd likely get preference on ammo)

2 M16
16 boxes of 5.56

2 Lee-enfield
12 boxes of .303

1 Micro-UZI
4 Beretta
15 boxes of 9mm
(Micro-UZI being automatic etc etc)

1 Colt python
0 ammo (I thought we had some for it, guess I was wrong)

1 Glock model 22
11 boxes of .40

1 Colt detective special
10 boxes of .38 fed

1 Colt new service revolver
6 boxes of .38 win

So approximately 20 guns with ammo available. Including Ben, we've got 14 survivors.

Edit: Oh yeah, and to reiterate each "Box" of ammo is usually 20 to 30 shots.

Lindblum

Augur
2 days left?

Weapons and Meat shields!!!!!
We should have enough food if we survive ITZ.

Phelot

Arcane
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Multi-headed Cow

Sorry about the lack of updates. Been clickety clacking in Diablo 3 a bunch. And Alan Wake. And various other non-Fort Zombie pursuits. GOTTA FINISH FORT ZOMBIE THOUGH, FIGHT THROUGH THE PAIN.

lyDiv.jpg

Before setting off for a mission, I spend a few minutes getting the fort in order. I doled out weapons and ammo as it seemed appropriate. Characters skilled in a certain type of gun got that type, and the unskilled got whatever was left.
This is how the group's going to be lined up for the final battle. Most pistols and one rifle to the left of the camera getting the cleanest shot at the door. Melee bros at the top of each stairway in case things go REALLY bad. The two NPCs skilled in assault weapons are armed with M-16s and are at the midway point on the stairs to dump more bullets at the swarm closest to the barricades. The barricades are the piles of shit at the base of the stairs, they look like that since this isn't "Active", they get set up barricadey when the time comes. The discolored platform on the right stairway is the zomapult, which we only had enough materials to make one. Not sure if it'll launch survivors too, hoping for the best.
I put all the children on the overhand above the entrance so they can shoot down as soon as the zombies enter, one of the lee-enfields, the garand, the tommygun and the MAC-10 are up there. IIRC the only one of the children skilled in guns was Lovecraft who was pretty good with rifles, and he's one of the riflebros up above.
Ben will take the AK-47 and a good pile of ammo and use it as needed, likely shooting with the pistol and riflebros on the left, but if the barricades are looking grim I'll run over and try to help.

General plan is the zombies will bash down the front door easily and then get stuck on the heavy barricades at the base of each stairway and get shot at from all directions, and hopefully there's no room for friendly fire mishaps. Will it work? Have to wait until ITZ to see!

Looks like survivors was the (barely) winning vote, but supplies came in close behind. I'll see if I can knock out one survivor and one supply mission this day.

HOeYm.jpg

Ahhh. Nice, well-lit daytime. No big packs of nightzombies. This is how things should be! Unfortunately at this point I realize I had a brainfart and went to a supplies mission first instead of survivor. Probably won't matter, there were near missions of both types so running one of each should be easy.

stgzX.jpg

Ugh. Looking like the objective is in this store, which has at least 2 soldier zombies inside.

1yGnu.jpg

WHY GOD. WHY. Yes, I manage to take Ben from 100% to 34% health in this one encounter. One shot from a soldier and a few bites from shamblers. Fuck.
Loot: 3 cans of spray paint, 2 power saws (Useful for construction in the fort IF you have the generator(s) running), 2 ropes, a fire hose, a nail gun (Same as power saws), a bug spray, a power drill (Same as other power tools), a circular saw (Same as other power tools), 1 medkit (10 medical units), and 1 medical tape (3 medical units)
Yes, this supplies mission wasn't food, it was tools. GOD DAMN TOOLS. WITH TWO DAYS LEFT! FUUUUUCK!

eyeDr.jpg

DAMN IT YES GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

vJe66.jpg

Alright, survivor mission time. Bunch of zombies at the entrance here, but surely we'll be ok.

msXQJ.jpg

Lillian took some damage getting here, but this looks promisingly survivoresque.

P6gm0.jpg

Son of Algernon, and impressively useless skills! Ah well, I'll stuff a gun in his hands and he can help a bit. He seems to be the only survivor in the area, too. And no loot in his hideout. Useless!

fFVlY.jpg

One little nibble on Aaron just as we ran to the exit. DAMN IT AARON.

Aaron Blackwood's story:
"All I can keep thinking now is that my whole life has been wasted. God help me, I'm a grown man, I'm 46 years old. What can I do? I was a lawyer, for heaven's sake-who needs a lwayer at the end of the world?

Hell, I can't even fix a car. There I was, stranded by the side of the road with everything in the world that I loved packed into that damned over-priced Mercedes, and I was helpless as a baby. All the money in the world couldn't put that damn thing back on the road and get my wife and child out of harm's way. I never felt like less a man in my life."

Even his story is useless! And what were you doing hiding in a house without your wife and child!? DAMN YOU AARON YOU DON'T GET A GUN.

7VTCO.jpg

Aaron can try to redeem his honor when ITZ comes with a baseball bat. HAVE AT 'EM SLUGGER.

ZfdJM.jpg

Alright, trying a second supplies mission just because if I'm not skipping the time (Yet at least) to get to the final battle, I kinda wanna get food. We'd probably be ok without it, but eh.

r7rpY.jpg

After quite a run, this seems to be the supplies location. Another overgrown, sinister theater.

hwZw7.jpg

Many zombies inside, but after a bunch of Beretta-ing I clear it out.
Loot: A medkit (10 medical units), potato chips (2 food units), chocolate (4 food units), and a box of shotgun shells
Yes, those were the only things I bothered to take. There was also another nail gun and some minor miscellaneous junk, but damn. DAMN. Real kick in the gonads, these supplies missions. I'm fairly sure Aaron is to blame somehow.

uhUh6.jpg

LUCKY DUCKY BE A LADY TONIGHT. Come on random grocery store in the mission!
Lucky Ducky is not amused by my antics. Absolutely no food inside. Blurgh.
We run back to the fort almost entirely empty handed.

Journal:
We got about 28% done on the zomapult, about 21% remaining

Skill improvements:
Aaron raised hand to hand to 27, sneak to 3
Ben (PC) raised Beretta to 9, Colt service to 3, pistol to 58, scout to 12, sneak to 31
Lillian raised blades to 31, machete to 5, scout to 5, sneak to 14
Luke raised carpentry to 2
Nathan raised blades to 29, scout to 5, sneak to 12

Morale:
Reputation improved by 3

rYMAY.jpg

Two survivor missions, a weapon mission, and a supplies mission. Getting near the end! What's the plan, Codex? Skip missions for the final battle, or run a couple missions?
We've got 28 food, using 87 a day.

lightbane

Arcane
You can never have enough guns!! But I suggest to take a rest so Ben is 100% ready for ITZ. Also, if you have grenades I suggest to give these to the lawyer. He'll most likely kill himself but that's the point.

Multi-headed Cow

If you take missions and get hurt, will you be 100% when ITZ comes?
Not entirely sure, actually. ITZ comes during the night, so that might mean you don't get a night of resting and healing. Never paid close enough attention to tell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom