Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Hard Nova.

Cool name

Arcane
cover.jpg

There is not much that I can tell about Hard Nova other than it is Sentinel Worlds: Future Magic spiritual successor. The developers did greatly develop some elements from Sentinel Worlds for this 'sequel' but they did also simplify or dumb-down several others along the way. If I had to place the game on a scale I would say it is much more complex than a game like Space Rogue but less complex than a game such as Whale's Voyage. From what little I did see of Starflight it has more deep than Hardnova does. I did never play Sundog for long so I am unable to compare. It may be a little less complex than Sentinel Worlds. It may be a little more so.

It was released back in 1990 and did receive good reviews. I do find it a fun little game but then I do very much enjoy Protostar so it is up to you to decide if my taste does deserve any trust. You may do so. You may not do so. I do hope you do enjoy it. If not I do hope you do at least enjoy my twist on it.

Any prologue beyond this would have to deal with the gameplay. I believe it is better to speak about such a topic while on the game proper.

AL%20000002.png

This is the tittle screen that does receive us as soon as we start the game. The music on it is pretty nice. Most people who do play the game as abandonware does find it hard to play the game with sound on DosBox. If you do check Hardnova.bat you will find the following lines.

:HARDDISK
IF EXIST A.CFG HARDHARD A
IF EXIST AM.CFG HARDHARD AM
IF EXIST AS.CFG HARDHARD AS
IF EXIST AMS.CFG HARDHARD AMS
IF EXIST AM.CFG REN AM.CFG A.CFG
IF EXIST AS.CFG REN AS.CFG A.CFG
IF EXIST AMS.CFG REN AMS.CFG A.CFG

For the game to run with sound you need to comment those lines. Just add a comma where each line does begin. I do believe other punctuation marks do work as well.

,IF EXIST A.CFG HARDHARD A
,IF EXIST AM.CFG HARDHARD AM
,IF EXIST AS.CFG HARDHARD AS
,IF EXIST AMS.CFG HARDHARD AMS
,IF EXIST AM.CFG REN AM.CFG A.CFG
,IF EXIST AS.CFG REN AS.CFG A.CFG
,IF EXIST AMS.CFG REN AMS.CFG A.CFG

After a while I do continue.

AL%20000003.png

Copy protection. I press enter and do move beyond. I do hope my abandonware copy is cracked.

AL%20000004.png

The first choice we have to face in the game is which character do we wish to use, in itself nothing more than a choice of gender. A few dialogues and events do change based on it. Yet it is nothing big.

Appendix A. Important issues, an offtopic dramatization.

nova0.png
'A tall, quietly attractive woman.' Truly is Nova a character I can relate to.

One should always treasure equally her dreams and her delusions.

nova0.png
Yet do take a look at my hair. I do look as I had just come out of an old movie. Yet not from a movie old enough to be good. Old enough to be tacky. It is terrible.

You do have a point there.

nova0.png
And why do I wear what does look like a baggy work overall with the kind of neckline that does only look fine on a knit one piece dress or evening clothes?

You do speak nothing but truth.

nova0.png
And such a kitschy pendant.

Please do understand game developers do find hermetic both couture and bijouterie.

nova0.png
Not to mention I do find little excuse for an oval face. For an elongated oval one there can be only censure.

I am affraid the comment was very unladylike.

nova0.png
Yet I do expect you to understand the shock that does drive me. What I see does induce me to believe her beauty is quiet for it does know well how to hide. Do please take a look at the lines of the cheeks and the width of the chin. Do note the shape of the lips and the distance from mouth to nose. Pay attention to the size and shape of the ears. And what excuse is there, pray tell, for a double chin? I say none.

Yet we must forgive for she is neither idol nor model. She is but a rough mercenary, a crude and unenlightened creature.

nova0.png
And I must but denounce the evil that does try to force me into the life of a token minority.

Such behaviour does lack decorum when you are but part of a minority yourself.

nova0.png
In the uncivilized lands I may be. Yet nowhere else.

If I am allowed to get technical on this matter-

nova0.png
Hush you. Allowed you are not. Now do tell me what other faces are there for me to pick from.

None there are. This one is the one.

nova0.png
You do lie. You must lie.

Yet I am truthful.

nova0.png
Can we perchance hack a new portrait for us to use?

You do seem to forget we did need a step by step guide in order to fix the sound issue we did previously mention.

nova0.png
You do bring me no joy. I am do find myself in a situation where I can but to beg for you to use a different one in the Let's Play proper.

Would you let this fault slide if I were not to satisfy your petition?

nova0.png
I would never do so.

A simple choice you do leave for me to take. May I ask for your opinion on this one portrait?

nova1.png
I do like her, yet I am affraid she is much too serious. Do keep her around for a future time.

And what critique would you do of this other one?

nova2.png
Adorable is she. Yet would she fit the mercenary theme of our soon to start adventure? I am unable to aprove.

It is your taste a hard foe to conquer. I do ask for your critique of this one portrait.

nova.png
She is indeed pretty. Yet does she not look like a girl with a price tag in place of a name?

In a story that does tell of the many adventures of a band of galactic mercenaries she will fit with ease.

nova.png
This was not what I meant.

The things I could tell. The proberbial mercenary heart does many a shape take.

nova.png
Hush you. Message understood. Let us continue.

I do live but to serve.

We do choose Nova as our character. What did pass as a cinematic back in 1990 does play as a result. The game does start right afterwards.

I. Alexandra.

AL%20000009.png

AL%20000011.png

AL%20000012.png

AL%20000013.png

AL%20000016.png

AL%20000017.png

This is the game interface from which we explore surface sites and any spaceship we do board. We do control our party by means of the arrow keys: Up does take us a step forward. Down does make us take a backward step. Left and right does rotate us ninety degrees in either direction. The icons on the right hand of the screen do allow us to see the description of the current locale, talk to the selected NPC, and have a droid or darcator member of our party break formation and explore ahead. When we do select an NPC its face does take the uppermost place. If we do click on it we will be able to see its equipment. The lowermost icons on either side do represent the weapon and armor Nova does presently wield and wear.

Characters do only have a personality until they join your crew. Once they do they become but puppets over which you do exert limited control.

The faces on the left side of the screen do represent our away team. Nova is always the point. Other characters can be told which position to occupy. Currently we do only have A'kri Janr, apparently nicknamed Punch, with us. If we do click on one of the faces we will be shown various information about her or him. We can also do this by using F1 through F4.

AL%20000023.png

This is Nova.

nova.png
I am affraid it is I who is Nova. She is but the girl I did purchase the identity from to begin with. A sad story. Yet not one worth the time it would take to tell.

Please do forgive the foolish mistake.

Our health is currently very low. We have but a bit of pocket change. 'Starkiller' does mean she is from the Starkiller mercenary group. 'Point' is her current position in the party. 'Rank' is her level. The experience we do obtain is equal to the damage we do in combat. Below are the stats for the weapon we wield and the armor we wear.

We do press '2' to check our abilities.

AL%20000024.png

Those are Nova's abilities. Presently we do have four points with which to increase our abilities. In the begining I would advice you to ignore all but Aptitude. This is the single most important ability on Hard Nova. Why? I does govern how many skill points do you get when you do reach a new level. The game does depend greatly on equipment but it does help to build up the core abilities early. We are able to grind a few levels early on if we do not mind to invest some money. We will do so in time.

I do invest all of Nova's points on Aptitude and press '3' to view her inventory.

AL%20000026.png

Inventory space is very thight. Ammo does take a lot of space. Other than ammo for our gun we have our gun, an Automagnum, our armor, a Body Armor, and our Advanced Medical Lining, an Issue AML. The AML does decide how much health do we recover by time unit. Both our away team and the enemies recover health every time unit. Retreating to recover health or using the movement rules to make sure a badly hurt member of our away team is behind cover can be very important.

I do know our readers do want to make popamole jokes so let us add a standard response in here so that I do not feel forced to respond each and every one of them.

nova.png
How very witty of you.

Now let us continue. I do check our companion's sheet.

AL%20000031.png

AL%20000032.png

AL%20000033.png

He is not a very good character to have on our away team. He is however indispensable. His unique skill does make him the only character able to take our ship through wormholes. If he does die we are stuck. As I will be playing the game with reloads limited to game over screens 'Punch' will spend the rest of the game in our starship.

I do still invest his single point in Aptitude. I can always decide to level him up using the robomaze.

We do move to the south. The game does inform me the corridor actually is a bridge that does traverse a maintenance bay below. Beyond we do find a vast central area. From there we can return to our hovecraft or move to an arms dealer, a bar, and the robomaze. I do check the arms dealer first.

AL%20000040.png

AL%20000041.png

In this shop they do sell mostly ammo. I move across the room to the elevator leading to the bar. A recording reminds us to put our weapons on safety mode before we do enter.

AL%20000044.png

nova.png
Must we proceed along this path, I wonder?

breman.png
I fail to understand the meaning your words do hide, O Nova. This is but your favorite watering hole, which you do deeply love.

nova.png
I do not. I would never. Do take look at this location you do proclaim, nay, accuse I do enjoy. Is it not the smell of cheap liquor and stale sweat that which does my nose assault? The acrid emanation of broken dreams and trampled lives do hang over this place as the hungry ghosts do over the place of sacrifice. And my ears do beg for mercy when the hymns unfashionable do lay siege to them.

breman.png
Many times we did have the present conversation. There are times, O Nova, in which the role of a tough as nails mercenary captain do impose upon you responsabilities many. In character you must get.

nova.png
But will not the client potential his eyes place upon me and notice the dire place I am in and the sad drink I do nurse? Then say he will 'Alas! What good can she be a mercenary that this lowly company must bear and in those cheap drinks her sorrows drown?'

breman.png
This opinion I do share not. For, you see, the client potential will see naught but a girl prisoner of a ghetto past. Rueful days of sexily ragged prêt-à-porter urban clothing that a dirty rain did drench, of many an aquarium that did find ruin in gunfights hardly fought in chinese restaurants under triad control and bloody kung fu fights in the alleys that does garbage clutter behind the ramen shop cheap. Youthful struggle that did forge the amazon-for-hire.

nova.png
Lose me you did on prêt-à-porter.

breman.png
And a crew most rough we are here to find.

nova.png
More <Air quotes>salty space dogs</air quotes> I fear you to mean.

breman.png
Of those, yes, many. And let's the florid language drop already, for I am tired and the readers too.

nova.png
Cute I do find it.

breman.png
Which is to drop it more than enough reason, says I.

nova.png
Alas! I will do as he does wish, the Bremar navigator most mean.

A green man is the first thing we do see when we do leave the elevator. A Lanta evangelist he is.

breman.png
He is a Lanta evangelist, you mean.

That I do, yes. He is a Lanta evangelist. And I do initiate dialogue with it. To do so is a slow procedure that does involve to cycle around all visible targets by means of many a right click and to then press the dialogue icon I did previously mention.

AL%20000046.png

AL%20000048.png

nova.png
I must have heard you wrong. Did you forget your glasses maybe?

lanta.png
An abomination. All life is an abomination. Would you like to buy a copy of our book, 'What will nature do when she realizes her mistake?'

nova.png
Do forgive me but I do not believe I would.

breman.png
Did you forget our ship did explode not long ago?

nova.png
I fail to see the connection.

breman.png
Did not all the books you did use to keep around your cabin to make artsy fartsy art college graduates think you literate and deep follow the craft in its journey most final?

nova.png
I do not know what I would do without you. How much did you say it is? The book I mean.

lanta.png
Only eight. Oh, but wait. I just sold my last copy a few moments ago. Would you instead be interested in buying a lapel pin that says 'Evolution is abomination.'

nova.png
Do I get to pick the color? How much is it?

lanta.png
Only two. Oh, wait - I am sorry. I just sold my last pin, too. I have an idea. Give me the money now, and I'll bring them to you later when I get my new shipment.

nova.png
Do I really look that stupid?

breman.png
You do wear oversized nightshades on an enclosed base. Do make a wild guess.

lanta.png
As you wish, abomination. But do not believe that there is much time left.

As I do advance towards the bar I almost bump on an old Zero-L mercenary. After right clicking for so long he did have the chance to take several steps away I do manage to start a dialogue with him.

AL%20000069.png

nova.png
Can it really be, uhm... Gunther, that you did forget about me? You do disappoint me greatly. So much did we go through together.

zerol.png
I never fought next to anyone who became a flaccid starkiller merc! Wait... How do you know my name?

nova.png
Did you forget the, uhm...

breman.png
The colony wars. In Holbrook.

nova.png
Do you expect me to believe you did forget the colony wars already, Gunther? You and I, in Holbrook. The things we did!

zerol.png
Jacob?

breman.png
*sniggle*

zerol.png
No, it can't be you! I left you... I mean, you met the man in Valley Gribor-Nine! It can't be you... Can it?

nova.png
You do remember, I see. Just as do I remember. You did leave me to die in, uhm... that place.

zerol.png
That's not what happened, Jacob! You... You were dead! I swear!

His pleading is so pitiful it turns your stomach.

nova.png
Do I look dead to you?

zerol.png
No.

Gunther mumbles miserably into his drink. Then he looks at you again.

zerol.png
You look a lot different.

breman.png
*snort*

nova.png
Death does that you. And to come back from it is not cheap. You do owe me, Gunther. You do owe me a lot of money.

zerol.png
I don't have any, Jacob!

He's making too much noise. You hit him. He looks dizzy and sick, then he staggers away.

nova.png
At least I did not break a nail.

breman.png
Next time you do want some pocket change just rent yourself out. It will be a lot less sickening.

A space merchant does pass not far away from us. I do decide to initiate dialogue with him.

AL%20000087.png

AL%20000088.png

nova.png
I would be most grateful. Please do get me a Blue Hawa...

breman.png
A Hot Mud. She will have a Hot Mud.

His eyebrows go up.

nova.png
Sigh. I drink Hot Mud. Solo.

He goes to the bar...

breman.png
And you will enjoy it.

nova.png
I very much doubt it.

breman.png
No one is going to take seriously a rough space mercenary who does drink nothing but fancy cocktails. Nor one who does start to tear up every time she does have a real drink.

...and returns with your drink.

merchant.png
That's quite a strong drink.

nova.png
I am quite a strong girl.

breman.png
Who once did get drunk on Fresita.

nova.png
Do you not know the saying, 'three are multitude?'

breman.png
It is a nice change of pace to have you listen to my advice but we do not need money that badly.

nova.png
I do have a gun, Punch. You do not.

breman.png
Is that a free table I do spy yonder?

nova.png
Alas!

merchant.png
What's your name?

AL%20000093.png

The temptation is almost too great.

Almost.

nova.png
Nova.

merchant.png
Nova. That's a beautiful name.

The originality does kill me.

nova.png
Thank you. I am glad you do like it.

Giggle. Giggle. Do you want me to blush too?

merchant.png
Say, would you like a taldor reading?

nova.png
I can only hope their poets are as good as their fashion designers.

breman.png
*intercomm* Those are the Thalmor, for heaven's sake.

nova.png
Yet all the same I do love to be read poetry. Please do go on.

merchant.png
No, no. It's a way of seeing if two people are... you know, compatible.

nova.png
Is not such the point of talking?

He shakes his head.

merchant.png
How quaint. No, this is scientific. Hold out your hand.

You do so and he places a small, clear crystal on your palm. Then he grasps your hand.

nova.png
If all you did want was an excuse...

He rolls his eyes.

merchant.png
Can you feel it getting warmer?

You don't. All you feel is a cold rock and a sweaty palm.

I do fear that were I to try to see his aura I would perceive but a neon sign that does read 'loser' float over his head.

merchant.png
Soon we'll look at the crystal.

nova.png
What will happen at that time?

merchant.png
Then it will be colored, somewhere on the rainbow. If it's on the red end, then we are extremely compatible. If it's on the violet end, then we're not really compatible.

nova.png
And what if no change does take place?

He stares at you strangely.

merchant.png
Wow, next you'll say you've never heard of Infomen.

nova.png
To be honest I never did.

merchant.png
That's why I left the core, you know. I was affraid they would turn me into a data processor.

nova.png
Why would they do such a thing?

'twas but a rethorical question.

merchant.png
They do that to all people they consider too passionate.

He turns your clasped hands over.

merchant.png
Here, it's done. Let go.

nova.png
As you do ask.

merchant.png
Oh God!

Sitting on his palm is the crystal. It's as black as al ump of tar. He quickly drops it into a nearby disposal chute. He seems frightened.

How novel.

nova.png
I am curious to know the meaning of the black crystal.

merchant.png
It doesn't mean anything.

He quickly covers up his fear.

merchant.png
We're just not compatible, that's all.

Space news at eleven.

merchant.png
Look, I'm here to meet a friend. Stop by later and we can try again.

nova.png
Yet you did say it would turn into a color from the rainbow. Please do tell me what this means.

You put just the right amount of threat in your voice.

merchant.png
It means you're thinking about death.

nova.png
I did recently lose most of crew. To chat with you was merely worth a facepalm, not a shot.

merchant.png
I wish I could believe you.

nova.png
I am a compassionate girl. Fare thee well. Were I ever to meet an Infoman I will be glad to explain to him how little does he lack.

He mutters into his drink.

merchant.png
If you do see one, shoot him. He'll be better off. So would I if it were me.

breman.png
Am I to presume we are still dirt poor?

nova.png
Please do already drop that joke.

As I leave I do come across a girl who does look very out of place in a place such as this.

AL%20000130.png

nova.png
You are free to go look for a country club if it does bother you. And I would advice you to get that nose seen by a plastic surgeon while you are at it.

She ignores your comment as she turns away.

nova.png
What does the scouter say, Punch?

breman.png
The scouter has seen Girls' Day videos more badass than the captain under which I do serve.

We are finally near the bartender. He does nod at me. If I am to believe the game I do consider him to be a 'friend' of mine. I do not believe the game.

AL%20000137.png

nova.png
Someone did. It did not work.

bar.png
Yeah, I heard you had a problem with your Rontgen drive. Like it more or less exploded.

nova.png
More or less. Could you please pour me a, let me see...

breman.png
A Hot Mud.

nova.png
I did have one already.

breman.png
And you do love it so much you do want another. Hot Mud is to space mercenaries as Grog is to caribbean pirates and argentinian teens.

nova.png
Hush you. Do pour me a screwdriver.

breman.png
How cute. Do you want a straw with that?

nova.png
Of course I do. It does taste much better with one.

bar.png
You shouldn't be so pushy when you're getting a free drink.

He sets a glass filled with steaming black syrup in front of you.

Lord in heaven.

nova.png
T-Thank you.

breman.png
Gigglesquee.

bar.png
So you want to tell me what happened out there? I heard you lost both your ship and crew, except for your navigator.

nova.png
A micrometeor did hit the drive. We did have to make a run for it.

bar.png
So if that's true, why didn't the rest of your crew escape with you?

nova.png
Systems did fail. The ship did become a death trap. They did not make it.

An uncomfortable silence does reign.

nova.png
I did not leave them behind.

bar.png
No.

He shakes his head.

bar.png
I know better than that. It's all just talk I hear. I don't believe it. But it might make it hard to find a new crew. That is what you're doing, isn't it?

nova.png
Do you believe someone will trust me enough to join?

bar.png
I'm sure everyone isn't as well connected as I am. Maybe no one else knows about your accident. Maybe they know but don't care. You'll find something.

nova.png
I am grateful for the support.

The bar has the shape of an inverted U. The leftmost leg is the place we were in just now. The rightmost leg is where the roulette tables are. The line that does connect both has little of interest other than a pair of aquariums. As we do approach the roulette tables we do catch sight of a young Delta Coro. I will later add an appendix with all the data files on the game's library so that you can understand what do names such Starkiller, D-Coro, and Zero-L mean in the context of the game.

AL%20000158.png

AL%20000159.png

nova.png
I am affraid this is no place for a child.

breman.png
You are one to talk.

nova.png
Hush you.

dcoro.png
I'm old enough to take care of myself! I'm really an adult. That's what my friends say. But not legally for four more years. Hey, let me hold your gun, okay? Just for a second.

nova.png
My gun does stay where it is. You do have to hire the full package.

breman.png
Every time I am to believe you did reach the floor oceanic down the trench you go.

nova.png
Where is your mother? You should not be here.

dcoro.png
She died when I was just a kid.

breman.png
Classy.

dcoro.png
Look, I have a gun!

He reaches into a holster and pulls out a Class AA Thermal, the kind you find in woodburning kits at hobby stores.

nova.png
You are a dangerous one.

breman.png
Indeed. He can carve some wicked initials with that.

His eyes light up.

dcoro.png
Yeah! I just wrote a poem on the bathroom wall. It was really funny. It goes like this, 'There once was a man from nantucket-'

breman.png
I do know that one.

nova.png
I do not.

breman.png
Do allow me to spare you the details. We are not here to play kid. Do move along.

His eyes widen.

dcoro.png
You're looking for a crew, aren't you? I know you are. A tough merc like you needs some joes for a job, huh? Hey, maybe I could come, huh? Where're ya going?

nova.png
Do you see? He did say I do look tough.

breman.png
He did also say he has a gun.

nova.png
Would you say you are good with mop and broom? It may be your lucky day.

dcoro.png
Wow, really! I can really come with you? I can do lots of things! I've watched every episode of 'Blaster for hire' five times!

nova.png
It does look fine to me. Welcome aboard.

dcoro.png
Really? I can join you? Wow, I... Uh... Have some stuff I gotta do first. Say goodbye to my girl, and all. I'll come back later. You know, when I'm ready.

nova.png
You do know where to find us once you are done.

dcoro.png
Okay. Okay. See you later.

nova.png
*waves*

breman.png
Are we that desperate?

nova.png
We will be once we do find a crew.

A single patron does remain for us to meet. She is sit alone in a corner near the automated roulette machines. She does have a proper name instead of a generic moniker. Her portrait does look of a much higher quality than the previous ones. If my role playing game senses do not betray me we are in front of a non player character available for recruitment. I do close in.

AL%20000180.png

AL%20000181.png

nova.png
Do you want me to leave?

breman.png
Welcome to the Marianas, Captain.

ace.png
I don't care, but when my friend comes back, he might turn you into a red stain on the wall. But you look like you got something to say. Make your pitch before he gets back.

nova.png
I am looking for some people.

ace.png
People? What kind of people?

nova.png
I do have a talent to get in trouble with the wrong crowd. I do prefer it when they do have someone else to shoot at.

She laughs.

ace.png
That's an honest answer. I can tell by the look of you that you are probably not a gunner.

nova.png
I can trigger everything that does have a handle.

breman.png
You did have to save that joke for the one patron it does not make sense with, did you not?

nova.png
Yet I would be glad to find a real gunner for my ship. Is perchance your 'friend' one?

She grins.

ace.png
I haven't been honest with you. All right, I'm here alone. But I know where you can find a gunner.

nova.png
Do tell.

ace.png
Me. I'm the best gunner you'll ever find.

breman.png
Was that the punchline or there is more?

She bristles.

ace.png
You don't believe me, huh? Watch this!

She gets up and starts to walk away.

nova.png
It does seem to me you did hurt her feelings.

She walks away, over to the front of the bar. She taps the Lanta evangelist on the shoulder and says...

ace.png
Hey, snot face! I wanna buy a book!

rinterrupt.jpg

When he turns she pulls a nasty looking blaster out of her holster and fires one blue bolt of plasma at his chest. The Lanta falls amidst a shower of sparks.

The twisted body lies on a scorch mark on the carpet. You notice three other scorch marks near the new one. The whole bar erupts with applause.

nova.png
We just did out-Shepard Shepard on the very first update.

The woman bows, and she walks back to your table while the bartender quickly drags the body away. The woman sits down next to you and says...

ace.png
So, where's our first assignment?

nova.png
It does me honor to have you on my crew. May I ask for your name?

ace.png
Alexandra Elcator. But call me Ace. It really pisses me off when people call me Alexandra.

nova.png
Worry not. Nothing I would enjoy less than to piss you off.

She grins and puts her gun back into her holster...

We do have our first recruit. She is a bit of a sociopath but I do guess such is the kind of people that does make the majority of the space mercenary demographic. I do check her character sheet.

AL%20000213.png

I do invest her point in aptitude. As long as she does not die she will become a permanent feature of my away teams. In the ship she will take care of the gunnery station.

There is nothing more to do on the bar. We do return to the main hall. Once there we move to the south.

AL%20000217.png

The robomaze is a combat simulator. If my memory does not fail me we are not able to die in here. Entrance does presently cost three hundred credits. As Nova does level up the cost will grow. Once inside we will have to defeat enemy robots and hunt for flags. The flags can be sold in all weapon stores we do find for a little money. Ammo money. The real use of the robomaze is to grind our characters. As the amount of experience we do get is the amount of damage we do in combat we can grind for as long as we want. Once we do have more money I will use this to train.

I do enter the robomaze for a test run.

AL%20000219.png

AL%20000221.png

The red figures are enemies. The orange square is an item. All items do look like orange squares in the map. Combat is real time. It is not complex. You do pick a target in the same way you do pick targets elsewhere and click 'enter' to fire. You do have to wait a certain amount of time before you do fire another shot. Your companions do fire by themselves. Both the away team and the enemies do recover health constantly. The trick is in positioning yourself so that only a few enemies have line of sight to your team, move your party in such a way the characters with grave injuries are behind cover until they can recover, and overpower their AML regeneration by means of raw firepower.

I do go around the maze collecting the flags and defeating the robots.

AL%20000236.png

AL%20000238.png

As you can see in the screenshot above the items you do collect do not go into your inventory straight away. Instead they do appear on the slot that before did show the armor Nova does presently wear. The item does blink while it is there. You do later move it into the inventory of the character you do want to equip or carry it.

After defeating the team shown above Nova does obtain a level. The three points she does obtain go all to Aptitude. The ability is now at 12.

AL%20000245.png

I do also obtain three flags. I do decide to leave for now as we are short on ammunition. We will return later. I go to the weapon shop. The three flags do sell for 60 credits each. The money we do obtain from the flags is enough to get Nova and Ace three Automagnum clips each. This does leave us with 700 credits. The exact same amount we did have after we did pay the entrance fee.

To sell the items you do move them into the item pool. The Shopkeeper will make you his offer. The items you do buy go to the character pool as any other item you do collect.

AL%20000250.png

AL%20000253.png

AL%20000254.png

As you can see above Ace's armor is a Flak Vest. It is a better armor than the one Nova does wear but it has +1 Slowness.

We do return to the hoverdock and leave the base.

AL%20000255.png

AL%20000260.png

This is the planetary interface. From here we will be able to control our hovecraft and explore the surface of the worlds we do come to visit. The window above the three dimensional view does show the view from the cockpit. To its right is our cargo hold. If we have an active mission to smuggle goods this will show the coordinates of the drop off point. Fuel and damage are self explanatory. Fuel is consumed constantly. I believe that the rate of consumption is fastest the higher our altitute is. We do control our altitude by means of the arrows between the three dimensional view and the frontal view.

Below the gauges for fuel and damage is the minimap. Below the minimap is the name of the world we are in and our coordinates on its surface. I do not remember what do the two icons to the right of the minimap do. They must not be important.

If we are above a hoverport we can dock with the 'D' key. We do use 'esc' to return to our ship in orbit. I do press 'esc.'

AL%20000264.png

This is the orbital interface. From here we can select the coordinates we want our hovercraft to descend to. The selector does move in increments of twenty. Even when you do know the exact location you want to descend to you need to descend 'close by' and navigate to it. The small window on the right does show a magnification of the area presently selected. The red in the map is the base we did just leave.

We leave the planet's orbit.

AL%20000265.png

This is the space interface. I am sure by now you will be able to understand what everything is. The only element of particular interest is the 'viewer' in the lower right corner of the screen. The viewer is a database that does hold miscelaneous information about the game setting. It does not contain anything of particular depth but it is nice to know. Before doing anything else I do configure my crew.

AL%20000266.png

AL%20000268.png

I remove A'kri from the away team and do place Ace on his place. I do also place Ace as the ship's gunner. Next I dock on the space station.

AL%20000270.png

In this space station we can replace those systems that did suffer grave damage in combat. All of our systems are green. Our crew is able to the systems up to a certain damage threshold. Then we do have to replace them.

Below the systems is our missile loadout. There are three types of missiles. I do only rarely use them so I do not know much about them other than every type of missile does have its own countermeasure. I do just outrun them.

I did only come here to check the smuggle trade offers.

AL%20000275.png

These are missions in which we have to take a cargo to a drop off point in a particular planet. I do not want anything too involved right now. I do pick the mission to take fuel cells to Tikorr for five thousand credits. The client will deposit the money on our account the moment we drop off the cargo.

AL%20000277.png

I leave. I do turn on the engines and move a short distance away from the planet. Soon I do receive a message.

AL%20000280.png

Gerard Kendall is our boss. I do not want to return yet. I do still need a crew and some pocket change. I decide to ignore the order and check the remaining messages.

AL%20000282.png

AL%20000284.png

This does cover communications. This is the third icon to the right of the upper window. The first one does allow us to check the status of our various systems, to pick which system do we want to repair, and to activate and deactivate different options. We can also check the signature and missile we do have active at the moment. The more systems we have active the faster our fuel does consume.

AL%20000286.png

AL%20000287.png

The second icon does allow us to check our software. We can put our technician to code if we do have one. Currently Nova does take care of all stations other than navigation and gunnery. She is not good at this.

nova.png
To do otherwise would be unladylike.

AL%20000288.png

Those are the stations available. The next icon does show the signature we currently transmit. From this window we can for example switch our identification from the real one, J21C, to a fake one, J17E. If such were the case we will not need to pay a small tribute when in Ariel space. Yet if we do get too close to their ships they will open fire upon us.

The last icon does allow us to choose which weapons' bay is active. This does control the missiles I do rarely use. The laser is set to active or inactive from the systems menu.

I set a course for the stargate to Ariel. A stargate is a wormhole. Only the Bremar are able to take ships through them. Along the way Nova does manage to decrypt the second message we did get.

AL%20000292.png

Later on we come across a Delta Coro ship. They do hate Starkiller mercenaries over an old territorial dispute you will get to read about later on.

I do activate our laser, pick the Delta Coro ship as a target, and begin to maneuver the ship to keep it in range and evade its missiles. The laser does shoot by itself as long as we keep the target in range. Space combat in the game is too fast to easily take screenshots of it. While lasers were shot and missiles did pursue us I was not able to capture any of them on a screenshot. Only the enemy ship right before it goes down.

AL%20000298.png

All my systems are in yellow. Nova is the one in charge of repairs. They will not be done fast.

We do reach the stargate without further trouble.

AL%20000299.png

AL%20000300.png

We are in the Ariel system. We do keep as far away as possible from the central world as we do make our right to the east of the stargate. After a while we do find Tikorr, the world we were paid to take a cargo to.

AL%20000302.png

AL%20000304.png

As you can see in the screenshot above there is an area of the planet a shield does protect. If we do want to explore there we have to get in from outside the area by means of our hovercraft. Right now I do not care about this. I set the descent coordinates as close as possible to the drop off point and go to the surface.

AL%20000307.png

The distance to the drop off point is very short. Yet as you can see below we have barely any fuel left once we do arrive.

AL%20000308.png

I unload the fuell cells. I do leave immediately afterwards. With 5700 credits on my account we do have some breathing room. In the station over Tikorr every fuell cell does cost but fifteen credits. I did spend 70 fuel cells getting there. To go through a stargate does require a lot of fuel. I fill the tank. We are left with 4650 credits.

This is the end of the chapter. The next episode will have Nova recruit a fourth member for her crew. She will also refamiliarize herself with the four systems. Along the way we will run several more contraband runs and return to the robomaze for training in several occasions.

Appendix B. The viewer, records A through O.

The viewer is the in-game encyclopedia. The game has little background lore. Most of what there is is in the viewer for us to check. As the game does start we have records A through O available for our perusal. Through the game world we will find more disks to copy to our reader. As you can see in the screenshot at the time I did remember to take screenshots of the viewer I had already found one. This one, Q, will not be present on this update as the Let's Play is still one or two updates away from the moment I did find it.

AL%20001073.png

AL%20001075.png

AL%20001077.png

AL%20001079.png

AL%20001082.png

AL%20001084.png

AL%20001086.png

AL%20001089.png

AL%20001091.png

AL%20001093.png

AL%20001095.png

AL%20001097.png

AL%20001099.png

AL%20001101.png

spekkio

Arcane
I was testing this baby recently - still pimping up my PC Juarez collection.

:thumbsup:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:what:

Dat NPC

edit: it's actually true. That's in the game

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The title of this game, the name of the protagonist.. This sounds very much like a cheap porn flick from the eighties.. :yeah:

Will follow thread. :smug:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
How the fuck do you restart in this game? It seems ironman, but i can't also see a option to restart.

edit:
Agassi, you need to edit your sound fix to only put a ',' before the last three lines... like so
IF EXIST A.CFG HARDHARD A
IF EXIST AM.CFG HARDHARD AM
IF EXIST AS.CFG HARDHARD AS
IF EXIST AMS.CFG HARDHARD AMS
,IF EXIST AM.CFG REN AM.CFG A.CFG
,IF EXIST AS.CFG REN AS.CFG A.CFG
,IF EXIST AMS.CFG REN AMS.CFG A.CFG
The other lines (actually, probably only the first) allow restart of the game or creating a new character. Probably you should refrain from reconfiguration of the sound effects if you do this.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've started replaying the game thanks to this LP.
:thumbsup:

Having a blast. It really is an improvement over Sentinel Worlds.

lightbane

Arcane
breman.png

Very smug, I think that guy is.
Also, funny irony the Lanta race's reason of existence.

MOAR!

Cool name

Arcane
@ SCO: I do now discover why I did have to delete the game and download it again to start the Let's Play after I did refamiliarize myself with the controls. I am grateful for that.

@ spekkio: I am unable to believe my eyes. Nova does look even worse in the Atari ST version. :?

@ Azira: Indeed it does. Now we need but a good bow chicka wow wow soundtrack for the Let's Play.

@ Monty: I am very glad you do enjoy the Let's Play.

@ Crooked Bee: Did the Bee most adorable ever try Protostar?

II. Cerallon.

I do return to Tikorr. The reader did maybe previously notice two light blue dots in the surface. Those are locations we do know about. There is also a bright dot inside the area under the shield. I do not remember if this was a site or not. We will check it later.

For now I will drop at the coordinates above one of the bright blue dots.

AL%20000316.png

AL%20000317.png

AL%20000318.png

We do circle around a great wall looking for an entrance to the installations it does enclose. I do not find one. We can fly over it but I do decide to check the second dot first. You do never know what you may find.

AL%20000325.png

AL%20000328.png

AL%20000330.png

AL%20000331.png

I do not want to buy a weapon at the moment. I do have more than enough ammo. I could buy a Flak Vest for me yet presently I do not want to spend money. I move north through the corridor until we do find an elevator. This and the store and the only places of importance here. I do take it.

AL%20000334.png

AL%20000337.png

nova.png
One step closer to my natural habitat.

I do pick a conversation with a nearby space merchant.

merchant.png
You do look like the sort of person who would appreciate the kind of goods I have to offer.

He speaks in a low voice and looks around to make sure he is not overheard.

nova.png
Why do you say so? Are you perchance a very exclusive fashion designer?

merchant.png
I can tell by the hardware you're carrying.

nova.png
For a moment I did wonder where did your eyes go.

ace.png
You do sound disappointed.

merchant.png
That's too formidable a weapon for self defense.

nova.png
What pray tell does the vendor most nosy try to imply?

He rolls his eyes a bit. Then he points toward your blaster.

merchant.png
If you ever want to trade up, I'm the one to talk to. May I ask you where you currently acquire your munitions?

nova.png
From the bags and pouches of still warm bodies by general rule.

ace.png
I did not know you did use to be a dungeon cleaner.

nova.png
We all do have to begin somewhere.

He smirks grimly.

merchant.png
Everyone has their own style. There are much easier ways to arm oneself.

nova.png
Yet my navigator is dead set on the idea a badass space mercenary should not call her dad for money when the going does get hard.

merchant.png
True enough. I guess that means we cannot do business. But I like your philosophy. I'll tell you what. I have a business proposition for you.

nova.png
Do go on.

merchant.png
A few days ago, I sold some especially fine weapons to a group of Delta Coro, and now they refuse to pay me.

nova.png
I do see where this will go.

merchant.png
I have some... friends that normally take care of this sort of thing, but this particular group of DC have a nasty reputation. My... collection agency won't handle them.

ace.png
And you want us to.

merchant.png
I'm not telling you what to do. I'm only saying where you can find some excellent hardware. I've already written it off, but I wouldn't mind if these DC didn't get to use it.

nova.png
I do get the point.

merchant.png
That's it. I'm just telling you. The rest is up to you. You can often find them playing Zero-Gee roulette in a secret room above the Tikorr Club. Them the bartender Freejon sent you.

nova.png
Thank you very much for the information.

He nods toughtfully, with the trace of a smile on his face.

We do have our first sidequest. It is a good idea to keep track of those. The game will not do it by itself. It is such a mean game.

We do notice a girl near the tables on the far side of the establishment. She does look out of place in a non japanese game. I do speak to her.

AL%20000365.png

AL%20000366.png

nova.png
Do calm down. We are not here to hurt you.

ace.png
By which she means you should leave your gun alone.

ceri.png
You can never be too careful.

nova.png
If you do not trust people they will distrust you in turn.

She places her hand back on the table.

ceri.png
I trust you.

rinterrupt.jpg

Nova does draw her gun and does point it to the girls' nose.

nova.png
Such a sweet little thing you are. I could eat you whole.

Her eyes widen, and she holds her breath. She doesn't speak.

ace.png
No homo.

breman.png
Such naivety.

Nova does holster her gun with a flourish.

nova.png
What does bring you here?

ceri.png
I'm a computer programmer. I get claustrophobic in the center, so I come here to relax.

nova.png
Computer nerds who do want to relax do not pack guns in public establishments.

ace.png
I doubt they understand the very concept of public establishments.

nova.png
Nor the idea of claustrophia.

ace.png
Are you a hacker looking for work? A pirate maybe?

ceri.png
That would be too easy to be interesting. I'd rather use this.

She points to her holster.

ace.png
Do give me your vidphone number. I will call you if we ever need to beat someone really bad at Time Crisis.

breman.png
*intercomm* Please forgive the interruption but I do feel it is my obligation to remember the Captain after her last try to upgrade the target acquisition system the onboard mainframe did require a full low level format to fix.

nova.png
Software programming is not a ladylike endeavour.

breman.png
*intercomm* I do not believe to properly follow the on-screen instructions of the installation wizard does count as programing.

nova.png
It should.

ace.png
Indirect received, Punch.

breman.png
*intercomm* Good. Over and out.

nova.png
Would you like to join us on my ship? We could use someone such as you.

ceri.png
Not if all I get to do is program. I can stay here for that.

nova.png
Worry not. You do take care of the code and I will take you with me when an away mission does come up.

She thinks about it.

ceri.png
It's the best offer I've had so far. Okay, I'll come.

nova.png
You do me honor.

ace.png
I could have sworn our onboard computer did just let out a sigh of relief over the intercomm.

ceri.png
Remember, I get to come on landing parties.

nova.png
But of course. I do never back on my word.

ace.png
Unthinkable.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do you plan to follow up on that or should I go set everything in order to chain her in the mainframe room?

nova.png
Let us give her a chance first.

breman.png
*intercomm* Roger.

ace.png
I do wish to believe you did think this through.

nova.png
I did. What is the worse that could happen?

ace.png
Is this a rethorical question? For you do better get us a table otherwise.

nova.png
To us did I mean.

I do check the new recruit's character sheet.

AL%20000391.png

AL%20000393.png

Woeful is her firearms skill. For now I do invest her point in Aptitude. Later I will try to turn her into a valuable combat asset by means of the robomaze. I move towards the bar. An old man in clothes most curious is there. The game does reveal he is a Core Official.

AL%20000398.png

nova.png
What did happen to your, uhm... Thingie.

coreo.png
My ah-tash-shay. He was drinking with a lovely lady over in the corner when she suddenly and quite unexpectedly regurgitated on him. He went back to the ship.

nova.png
Such a lack of grace. I will offer you the assitance I am able to.

ceri.png
Yet why not wait for him to return?

He whispers.

coreo.png
He isn't very good.

Then he raises his voice.

coreo.png
Let's have a drink. What's your flavor?

nova.png
Do please put me a Caipirin-

ace.png
Barkeep! Three Hot Muds!

nova.png
'tis a conspiracy.

ceri.png
*ahem*

ace.png
And do add a glass milk to that.

The core official grimaces as he pays, then smiles quickly.

coreo.png
A stiff drink.

nova.png
Do tell me about it.

coreo.png
So, do you know anything about Darcators?

nova.png
That I do. What is it that about them you do wonder?

coreo.png
When those little flaps alongside their heads flutter, what does that mean? My attach said that is how they laugh.

ace.png
Oh my. Is this that he did say? Unbelievable.

nova.png
Utterly so.

ceri.png
But-

nova.png
He did get that wrong. It does mean but that they are hungry.

ace.png
For blood.

nova.png
Aye. 'tis not the thing they do prefer yet can subsist on human blood for days.

ace.png
A few do develop a taste for it after by need they must do so.

coreo.png
No... Do you mean my life might have been in danger? Oh, dear!

nova.png
Let us proceed with the questionaire.

coreo.png
Oh, yes. I once saw a Darcator fly over a man who was waving a flashlight. Then it dropped a viscous substance on his head. Was that what I think it was?

nova.png
'tis but a gesture of friendship and affection. Darcators are creatures most effusive.

ace.png
The human equivalent is to spit on the Darcator's face.

nova.png
Aye. Yet very contextual it is. As a greeting is like to shake hands most warmly. As a demonstration of moral and emotional support is like the pat in the back and the hug most felt. In a quarrel it does take the place of the ceremonial call to arise beyond hostility and barbarism to find common ground in which the ideas both can learn to coexist.

ace.png
Marvelous creatures these Darcators are.

coreo.png
That's good to know.

nova.png
Were these the questions?

coreo.png
Yes. You know it's interesting. I've asked these questions of a number of people, and I did get many different answers. Culture is a complex thing. Well, thank you for your time.

nova.png
I do hope to see you around.

To the south of the chamber an aviary does stand. Against this does a girl lean. She does not look good at all.

AL%20000426.png

nova.png
Do please pardon the intrusion but it is but my duty to ask, do you feel well? Do you need a helpful hand?

dsre.png
You've gotta be kidding.

She speaks in a low, harsh voice.

nova.png
It might bring you relief to seek a doctor's help.

dsre.png
No. Just leave me alone for awhile, will you?

She leans over into the aviary again.

dsre.png
Brrruuuhhh! Uhhhhg! Uuumph. Uh... uh!

Lord in heaven.

We do wait for a short while.

ceri.png
There is naught but mischief in your mind, is there not?

nova.png
Such a rude thing to say. I am but lady who does look to assist those in need.

Once she does look as she does feel somewhat better I do try again.

dsre.png
Hello. I can't talk now. I've got to get back to the lab.

You don't think she recognizes you. She still smells rancid and her clothes are still a mess, but her face is clean. She tries to focus on you.

ceri.png
Are these labs the Desiree labs?

She smiles weakly.

dsre.png
That's D-S-R-E, not Desiree. It stands for Deep Space Research Expedition. And I've got to get back.

nova.png
I do understand the plight familiar yet I must warn the hovecraft you do fly will arrive nowhere but the surface.

ace.png
At a speed most high.

nova.png
Do you wish for us to drop you off?

dsre.png
I don't know. How do I know I can trust you?

nova.png
If you do not put your trust in people they will not put their trust on you.

dsre.png
That's true. I really do have to get back.

She closes her eyes and tries to steady her head. She opens them again.

dsre.png
I'm sorry, what were we talking about?

ace.png
We did offer to deliver you home.

dsre.png
It looks...

Her head bobbles a bit.

dsre.png
It looks like I have no choice.

She leans against the rail. She looks like she passed out. Then she says...

dsre.png
Take me to coords (0667,0367).

nova.png
Let us relocate to the hovercraft mine.

breman.png
*intercomm* Am I to get the shackles ready?

She doesn't respond. She's really passed out now.

nova.png
Perish the thought. She does look most heavy.

We did at least get the coordinates to a secret laboratory. We will explore there shortly. Not that far away there is a young Delta Coro. For completion's sake I do decide to talk to him.

AL%20000450.png

ace.png
You will not score any casualty beyond the mobiliary, kid.

dcoro.png
I wish they were Darcators! They always try to dump on my head, but I am too fast! I don't know why they don't try to dump on other Delta Coro. Only Zero-L and me.

nova.png
They try but to add to the pile.

dcoro.png
Huh? What does that mean? Is that Merc talk? Yeah, you probably said they're afraid of me, huh? That's it, isn't it?

ceri.png
Your ken does you honor.

dcoro.png
I shot a Darcator once!

His eyes glow.

dcoro.png
I went to this really tough bar southwest of here. A Darcator tried to dump on me, so I shot him!

nova.png
You are a dangerous one, are you not?

dcoro.png
I burned a hole in his wing! Then I ran... I mean I ran after him and kept shooting till he was burnt and crispy! Yeah, he won't dump on me again!

ace.png
He will proceed to shoot you instead. And do keep your voice down, kid. You are drawing far more attention than I do care to draw.

nova.png
Why is it they do look but the guns I do carry and the freaks I do hang around with?

He whispers.

dcoro.png
Yeah, we don't want to draw attention-

Then he suddenly yells.

dcoro.png
Look! There's a woman puking in the aviary!

ace.png
Do go play with her, kid. You do cramp our style.

dcoro.png
I know, Merc! I'll go draw the plans in the planter. You can approve my plans when I'm done! See you later.

ceri.png
What's up with kids these days?

Only does the barman remain for us to visit. We do so.

AL%20000470.png

nova.png
I do want to ask you but a few question.

bar.png
Aw, come on!

He's yelling at the holo.

bar.png
It was right in your hands!

He glances at you.

bar.png
Can you believe that Ruida? He couldn't hold his head up in a pool of methane. You a fan?

nova.png
I do not watch sports.

bar.png
That's too-

He suddenly yells over your head.

bar.png
Hey, kid! Get away from the plants!

He turns back to the holo.

nova.png
Could I have your attention for an instant?

bar.png
Huh?

He looks up, startled.

bar.png
What do you want? A drink?

He pours a Hot Mud and sets it down in front of you. Then he turns back to the holo.

nova.png
There is nothing in the whole universe I do want less than that.

bar.png
Uh, huh. Wait a minute.

He waves a hand to quiet you.

bar.png
Wait a minute... Oh, you idiots!

He rolls his eyes at you.

bar.png
They broke an axle! With all the money they spend on those conveyers...

ace.png
Can you stop for a whole damn minute?

bar.png
What?

He looks at you.

bar.png
You want something else?

Before you answer, he shouts.

bar.png
Hey, Jibby! There's some broad out here puking in the aviary! Come take care of it, will ya?!

ace.png
Do listen to us. My patience does run short presently.

bar.png
Sure, just a second. The greys have the rod, and the blues are only two deaths away from being disqualified.

ace.png
You will listen to us now. Not in a second. Not in ten.

bar.png
Uh, huh.

He continues to watch the holo.

bar.png
Look, why don't you mingle. There are plenty of people around you can make friends with.

ace.png
This is it. Do say your prayers.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do please forgive me but can it wait until we are sure he is not an essential character? I do not want to restart because the main quest does reach a dead end.

ceri.png
He does speak wisdom.

nova.png
You do know what they say about the monkeys and the word processors.

ace.png
You do have a point. Yet-

nova.png
Why do we not pay him a visit right before the end of the main quest?

ace.png
Already I do look forward to it.

I do return to the hovercraft. The next place we do visit is the bright point to the southwest. This time we do fly over the wall. Beyond we do find a hoverdock. We do land. While the map is different the functionality of this port is quite similar to the base we were just in. Near the hoverdock there is a weapon's store. Down the corridor there is an elevator leading to the bar. The elevator does inform us the management does recommend us to take the safety of our weapons. The places you do bring me to.

AL%20000502.png

AL%20000503.png

AL%20000506.png

AL%20000508.png

AL%20000510.png

The establishment does brim with mercenaries and other unsavory types. Delta Coro, Zero L, Darcators, and the equivalent of space truckers. If you did ever wonder how would General Discussion look were it a space bar now you do know.

We do initiate conversation with a Delta Coro near the entrance. Did you read the files I did append to the previous episode? If so you do already know the way in which this will end.

AL%20000511.png

nova.png
Do calm down old boy. We do have no quarrel and I do need but information.

dcoro.png
That's what bartenders are for, dung breath. Now get away before I sharpen my teeth on your neck.

nova.png
I do see no point in such behaviour. I am sure much can we obtain from mutual support and assistance.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do please tell me you but did so but to troll him.

dcoro.png
Okay, Starkiller. Help yourself to this.

He opens his mouth wide and belches in your face. The hot wind smells like a dead skunk in an outhouse pit.

rinterrupt.jpg

ace.png
*does spit on his open mouth*

He gags, then hisses. He jumps up, overtuning the table, scattering glasses onto the floor where they shatter. He bellows,

dcoro.png
You'll never make it outta this bar alive!

nova.png
Oh, yeah? Well, you fight like a cow!

He lunges at you.

The battle is fast. The Delta Coro mercenaries do start to shoot at us. The entire bar does start to shoot at the Delta Coro mercenaries.

nova.png
About time the shorty shorts did begin to pay up.

Cornered and isolated from each other by a mass of enemies the Delta Coro do not stand a chance.

AL%20000524.png

AL%20000527.png

Once the fight is over we do notice a Darcator with an actual name does hover near us. Fairly high his health is and bad his equipment is not. From our heroine the fine senses that training and experience did forge do tingle in the presence of a recruit most available. I do initiate dialogue with him. He does not mince words.

AL%20000530.png

nova.png
By which I do presume you do speak of none but you.

darca.png
I'm the only Darcator here who is brave enough to excrete on aliens other than Zero-L.

nova.png
I will take your word for it.

darca.png
That is wise. So, are you interested in something invisible and silent but deadly?

As you will see before long the Darcator are sneaky. This does make it hard for us to fight them yet at the same time does allow them to break formation and scout ahead.

ceri.png
Why is it the Darcator do pun of naught but systems digestive?

darca.png
I can hold my dung when I have to.

As he speaks you smell something rancid.

ceri.png
Classy.

darca.png
But most situations do not require it.

nova.png
Do please tell me how soon will you be available for departure.

darca.png
As soon as you get me a gravblocker.

nova.png
No bell does ring.

darca.png
It is Darcator armor. I refuse to go out and fight without proper armor. Look at what happened the last time.

He flutters his wing with the missing piece.

nova.png
I will return to you if my journey does bring me to one.

darca.png
Come back when you have it. Then I'll join you.

Around the bar there are also several drunk pilots who do ferry cargo from the Core to the four systems and a few generic Darcators. In the order I did mention them in it is that I do speak to them.

AL%20000550.png

nova.png
You do come from the Core, do you not? Would it be too much for me to ask about the state of affairs back there?

merchant.png
It gets weirder all the time. Let me see, what was the latest thing... Well, did you hear the Desiree labs don't work for the Core any more. They've gone renegade.

ceri.png
This is but common knowledge.

nova.png
I-Indeed. :oops:

merchant.png
Uh. That's what happens when you sleep a lot on long space trips.

ceri.png
Could you please tell us more about their plans and installations here in the four systems?

merchant.png
I heard that there's one here on Tikorr, but I don't know where it is. I think there's another one somewhere in the four systems, but I don't really know.

ace.png
I did not notice Core ships during our approach. Did you leave your vessel on Ariel? Why to come here in such case?

He grins.

merchant.png
Have you ever been to the bar on Ariel? Besides, the whole place gives me the creeps. I feel like I'm being watched everywhere I go. I don't want to talk about it.

ceri.png
Who on Ariel did you deliver for?

merchant.png
Damn, you ask a lot of questions. How about I buy you a drink. No, wait. I'm a little empty. How about you buy me a drink?

nova.png
You are a true gentleman.

The bartender looks extremely busy. You turn back to the core pilot, but before you say anything, you see his head on the table. He starts snoring loudly.

nova.png
Charming.

AL%20000567.png

nova.png
Lord in heaven. 'tis but to dump on people and pun with no class that the Darcator do become under the effect of alcohol?

darca.png
Not people, just Zero-L. Besides, Darcators can't get drunk like aliens. Drinking makes it hard to fly, not hard to think.

ceri.png
Could we ask but a few questions for you to answer?

He blinks his eyes at you. Then he says,

darca.png
Look, there's some more Zero-L.

He silently floats away.

Only the Zero-L remain for us to interact with. We do so next.

AL%20000576.png

Nova does dodge the light before the Zero-L can get a good look at her face.

nova.png
I am but an old friend Hobart.

zerol.png
You name's Hobart? Sorry, pal. The only Hobart I know is the company that manufactures these flashlights. Who are you?

nova.png
I am but a girl in search for a drink and a frie-

He catches your face in the light.

zerol.png
You sleaze! You're a starkiller. Do you think I'm that stupid?!

ace.png
I did think you were but blind yet that does fit you as well.

zerol.png
I knew you were starkiller scum by your stink.

You see a Darcator floating near the ceiling. Something falls and a brown and white streak lands on the Zero-L's shoulder.

nova.png
Should you not be more careful as you do partake of liquor and accompaniments? It does look to me you did spill a bit of candy on your shoulder just recently.

He shines his light on it.

zerol.png
That's Darcator dung! They always do that! If they couldn't fly, I'd kill them all... Wait a minute! Candy?! Did you really think I would taste it?

nova.png
Do please tell me whether you do prefer the honest answer or the proper one.

ceri.png
We do look not for trouble but information.

zerol.png
Not a chance, starkiller. I wouldn't give you info to save my own life. If it were you, you wouldn't tell me anything either.

nova.png
'tis not true. We do desire nothing more than to share information with you. There is much you do find impossible to know that for us is but apparent.

ace.png
Do take a look at your face for example. Were your eyes in good health you would understand the reason the Darcator abuse you so is that you do look quite like a toilet that did see more than its fair share of use.

zerol.png
Eat those words, Starkiller, or I'll flush you down a real toilet.

ace.png
Do forgive me but I very much doubt you can open your mouth that wide. The Captain here does still find herself able to moonlight at will.

nova.png
Tu quoque, Ace?

ceri.png
The shorts most shorty do beg for the joke to be made.

He roars and swings his flashlight at you. You dodge.

ace.png
One hundred and eighty degress to the side and it may have hurt.

He jumps up and attacks you.

Once more do the patrons join us in the battle.

AL%20000604.png

The Zero-L mercenaries do last but an instant. The only character that does remain for us to meet is the barman himself.

AL%20000633.png

nova.png
I do want but to proceed beyond the door yonder.

bar.png
Who sent you?

nova.png
Freejon did.

bar.png
Go on up. And watch yourself. It can get pretty rough up there.

nova.png
Worry not.

The bartender pushes a hidden button under the bar.

bar.png
Go ahead.

nova.png
I am grateful for your assistance.

Beyond we do find a lift leading to an illegal casino. Next to it there is a storeroom. Among the cases of mud we do come across a Kevlar Suit. Both armor and in slowness is the value 5. For now I do decide not to wear it.

AL%20000641.png

AL%20000648.png

AL%20000650.png

The casino is full of tough Delta Coro. These are the guys the arms dealer did ask us to kill earlier. There are eight of them. I do asume the items that do lie around are the weapons the arms dealer did mention. Yet I do not feel confident on being able to take them on. I do believe I can pull it off if I do lead them one by one to the entrance and shoot from an angle so that the ones behind are unable to shoot us. And we can take the elevator to the lower floor if we do get hurt. Yet I do prefer to come back later instead.

I do return to the ship. From there I do pick a place of descent just outside the shield that will leave me close enough to the bright dot inside as to reach it. Several times I do have to retreat back at the ship to refuel the Hovercraft yet finally I do find myself there. The hovercraft did take a scratch as I did try to fly low to save on fuel and did hit a hill along the way.

AL%20000655.png

AL%20000656.png

AL%20000657.png

Before we do take two steps a Darcator does come out of nowhere and does begin to attack us. He does blink in and out of sight. Soon a second one does appear. We do manage to kill the first but we do retreat to the hovercraft and leave. We will return later.

AL%20000663.png

I leave the planet's orbit. I do make Cerallon the ship's technician and do tell her to trail behind Nova and Ace when in an away mission. I do leave back for the planet we did start in. Along the way Cerallon does upgrade our targetting software. All the software I do try to upgrade afterwards either does not change or does actually downgrade. When it does downgrade I am able to upgrade back to the starting level but no more. Maybe she will be able to do more once she does become a better coder.

AL%20000665.png

AL%20000667.png

I do rarely fight enemy ships. To destroy a ship does rarely reward us and there are situations in which to fight would be foolish. I do prefer to evade and run away, or to cut through a blockade and reach the target planet before they can get many shots at us. Therefore later on I will try to downgrade the targetting system and upgrade the evasion systems instead.

Once we are back at Mastassini we do go straight for the robomaze. We do fight our way through. Enemies does respawn every time you do enter a level. The flags however do not. In the upper left corner of the first level we do find a secret lift that does lead to the second one.

AL%20000680.png

AL%20000686.png

AL%20000694.png

There are two rectangles next to the every character's portrait. When the upper one does lit up it does mean the character has unspent ability points. This does usually mean she did level up just now. When the lower one does lit up it does mean the character is without ammo.

Nova does invest all four of the ability points she did get in Aptitude. The ability does now have a value of 16. 20 is the maximum. With an Aptitude of 20 the character does get 7 ability points per level. It is important to mention that only the character that does the damage does receive the experience. We need to let the other characters kill enemies by themselves for them to level up. Cerallon does have a Firearms skill of 1. As such she does currently have a 5% chance to hit. This does make her painful to level up.

We are still in the second level when Nova's ammunition does run out. Ace does get a level of her own in the meantime. The two points she did get go to her Aptitude. It is now 8. We do return to the first level. All the enemies did respawn. We do hang around until all the characters did spend their ammunition. Then we do return outside. Nova does sell her Personal Armor and does equip instead the Kevlar Suit we did find in the storage room behind the bar. Cerallon did join us with a Derrin XL10 as her gun. It does slightly less damage than the automagnum Nova and Ace prefer do but it does fire a little faster. As experience is equal to damage and we can hang around the robomaze as much as we do want I do sell her weapon and do buy an automagnum for her.

We do leave Mastassini and visit the space station around it. Here we do pick a new mission. We are to take a cargo of Boral Ale to Tikorr for 7000 credits. Missions to Tikorr are almost an exploit. The pay is low yet they are fast and there is little danger to them.

AL%20000726.png

As it is usual we do descent ten grades away from the target both in the vertical and the horizontal. From there we fly. Along the way we do come across a hovercraft squadron. I did not remember how to fight with the hovercraft and thus it went down. When the enemy does destroy the hovercraft you return to the ship and need to buy a new one before you are able to descend again. It does cost us 148 credit. We do not even feel it.

It does take a few tries before I do refamiliarize myself with hovercraft combat. We do pick the targets with either space or a right click. We do shoot with enter. My hovercraft's range does seem to be longer than the enemies'. After I do retreat several times back to the ship to refuel and repair I do finally manage to get it down. Yet every time you do retreat to your ship the hovercrafts do respawn. We do need to defeat them and drop our cargo in one go.

Several bouts do ensue.

AL%20000731.png

AL%20000732.png

AL%20000738.png

Every time we do engage them I do need to return the ship either to repair or to refuel. After I do lose a second hovecraft I do decide to do what I am best at doing. I do pay careful attention at the minimap and do navigate around them until I am over the drop off point. Then I drop the cargo. As I am waiting for my crew to unload it an enemy hovercraft does notice and engage. We do trade a few shots. We do leave as soon as the cargo is in the ground.

We do return to Mastassini. Along the way I do engage a Delta Coro to get a feel for the controls and the flow. We do destroy it but do suffer some damage.

AL%20000743.png

AL%20000746.png

Once I am on Mastassini I do repair the fuel tank. Damage there does mean we do constantly lose fuel. Then I fill the tank and get a mission to deliver fuel cells to Tikorr for 8000 credits. This one is fast. I do evade everything on course to Tikorr. Once there I descend and evade until I am at the drop off point. I do unload the cargo and return to the ship. Then we do travel back to Mastassini. I do repair the systems that I did not repare previously and fill the tank. Then I do get another mission. We are to deliver water to Tikorr for 6000 credits. This mission does pay too little for there to be enemies around the drop off point. We do it without problem.

I do land in the first bar we did visit on Tikorr to check the weapon shop. The previous fights against the Delta Coro hovercrafts and ship did help Nova level up. She does obtain 5 ability points. I do invest four of these to max Aptitude. The last point does go to firearms. It is now 3. In the end I do not buy anything.

From the bar we go to check the secret DSRE lab the drunk girl did give us the coordinates of. I did go there expecting to face opposition in the form of a private security force. We did find something very different.

AL%20000803.png

AL%20000804.png

AL%20000805.png

AL%20000806.png

AL%20000808.png

There are signs of battle everywhere we do look. From the entry point we are able to see a vast number of Delta Coro mercenaries with good weapons and armor. We do board the hovercraft before they do notice us. We will return later on. Once in orbit I do decide to check on Ariel. It is the most powerful world in the four systems. When you do enter the area the Ariellians do consider to be their own they ask you for tribute. This tribute is higher the more money you do have.

Presently we do pay. It is hard to land on Ariel otherwise. You do have to break through the Ariellian fleet with full power to engines and click 'A' to enter orbit just as you hit the planet. At that speed you will leave it behind in a blink. Ariellian military ships are among the few we can board but with our current weapons and armor that would not be wise.

AL%20000812.png

AL%20000814.png

AL%20000815.png

AL%20000816.png

AL%20000819.png

AL%20000820.png

AL%20000825.png

The one port we do actually know of is a vast floating city. We are only able to explore a little bit of it. Near the dock there is an elevator and an arms dealer. I do check the later first.

AL%20000829.png

I do not buy anything. The elevator does take us to the bar. It is a very quiet place.

AL%20000836.png

During my visit I did forget to speak with the Delta Coro.

First I do speak with the barman.

AL%20000838.png

nova.png
Do as you wish. If I were to ask for something else the entire universy would once again conspire to have you pour me one regardless.

breman.png
*intercomm* It is but fate.

nova.png
Do please forgive my curiosity but I do wonder how it is to live in Ariel.

His eyes glaze over, and he starts polishing glasses.

bar.png
I've seen worse.

nova.png
Is there a story behind the toll to fly through Ariel space? From what I did hear it is a new development.

He shrugs.

bar.png
Better than raising my taxes.

ceri.png
You are a most helpful fellow.

bar.png
Want another drink?

nova.png
I will pass.

bar.png
Come back when you do.

He starts arearranging his bottles.

Not far away from the barkeep we do find an old and strange woman.

AL%20000860.png

nova.png
What you do mention does sound like a Bremar to me.

She smiles and takes the cigarette from her mouth.

orai.png
Even make it with a Bremar, Missy?

nova.png
The stories I could tell you.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do I get a navigator discount?

She takes a long considered puff.

orai.png
Sure, Missy. I believe you.

ace.png
I did not expect the Bremar to see humans in such a way.

orai.png
They don't. You gotta get them really drunk, first. That's really the only way to trick 'em.

ceri.png
To be honest I do not understand what do you see in the Bremar.

orai.png
Ever hear a Bremar sing, Missy?

nova.png
Every time we do go through a stargate.

ceri.png
What does he call it?

ace.png
My life, my love, my pressure suit I do believe it was.

breman.png
*intercomm* An old classic.

orai.png
I can't stand it myself. I wear ear plugs. But they sure know how to treat a lady. You know I used to sing, Missy?

nova.png
Were you not in the Gayo circuit? You do look the part.

orai.png
Don't try to flatter me, Missy. It was before your time. My name's Orai Volamar. I was quite a star in the core worlds. Then the smoking caught up with me and I lost my voice.

ceri.png
Why it is you do not quit?

orai.png
I've sung enough for one lifetime. It's time to enjoy my retirement. Now I'm looking for someone to settle down with. Thanks for stopping by, Missy. It was nice talking to you.

In a balcony to the south of our present position there is a Lanta. We do talk to him.

AL%20000889.png

AL%20000890.png

nova.png
This is new to me. What else does a Lanta talk about?

lanta.png
Oh, shoes and ships and sealing wax, cabbages and kings.

He laughs.

lanta.png
We're not all so predictable. In fact, take this blank card and pencil. We can try an experiment.

Nova does take the card and pencil.

nova.png
Let us see.

He writes on a card of his own. Then he sets it face down under his half-empty glass.

lanta.png
I've written down something that either will or won't happen.

nova.png
Do come again.

lanta.png
I wrote down something on that card.

He patiently points at the card under his glass.

lanta.png
It is something that will or won't happen in the next couple minutes.

nova.png
I do understand.

lanta.png
Now guess whether it will really happen or not. Write 'yes' if you think it will, and write 'no' if you think it won't.

nova.png
Very well.

Nova does write 'yes' on the card.

lanta.png
Show me.

You show him.

lanta.png
You wrote 'yes' so that means you think what I've described on my card did happen.

nova.png
Do please show me your card.

He picks up his drink and turns over his card. It says, 'You will write the word 'no' on your card.' So the Lanta says,

lanta.png
You lose. You said this would happen, but it didn't.

nova.png
There is no way I could win.

lanta.png
Most people don't immediately realize that you would lose either way. They want to play again to try the other answer.

nova.png
It is an entertaining trick.

lanta.png
It's one of my favorites. But the really interesting mind games take too long to explain in a bar. Believe it or not, I used to make a lot of money this way when I was a kid.

nova.png
Did you really?

lanta.png
You'd be surprised. I used to be able to talk to pay phones and trick them into spilling out all their change.

nova.png
I do hope it did not involve shorty shorts.

lanta.png
And one time I convinced my tutor droid that it's motor circuits were radioactive. Then I told it I was starting to feel nauseated, so to save me it threw itself out my window.

nova.png
You are a Lanta of undisputable talent.

lanta.png
An untapped resource, I assure you. I only have a talent for destroying computer hardware, not repairing it. There's limited business potential for destroying computers.

nova.png
I will keep these talent in mind, sir. It has been very nice to talk to you.

lanta.png
It was pleasant talking with you. Good day.

I do not remember whether he has a role to play or not later on. I do remember however a situation dealing with a certain computer program that did stop my progress for a little while. I do not remember how did I solve it back then. I do believe there may be a relationship between the two.

We do return to the elevator. Different to usual it is that we can go both up or down. Down will take us back to the hoverdock. Up will take us to an area we do still have to explore.

AL%20000936.png

AL%20000937.png

AL%20000938.png

AL%20000941.png

We do need a card to proceed any further. We do not have it. I do return to the hoverdock and leave Ariel.

It is in this way that the current episode does come to an end. The next chapter will have Nova and her crew fool around the four systems for a little while longer. Then she will do the first actual mission.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Awesome update. Loving your characterization.

@ Crooked Bee: Did the Bee most adorable ever try Protostar?

Nope. And here I thought I new about most old sci-fi games. Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me! What can you tell me about Protostar?

nova.png
Why do you say so? Are you perchance a very exclusive fashion designer?

:lol:

Do forgive me but I very much doubt you can open your mouth that wide. The Captain here does still find herself able to moonlight at will.

:roll:

We do have our first sidequest. It is a good idea to keep track of those. The game will not do it by itself. It is such a mean game.

Just like a game should be.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
How to get this game? Is it abandonware?

Reunion's on Abandonia but not this one.

Cool name

Arcane
@ abnaxus: Do click here.

@ Crooked Bee:

Protostar was originally to be Starflight III. The developer was unable to secure the rights and thus Protostar was born. It is a space exploration game with no role playing game elements. In the game you are an operative from a group by the name of Protostar. They do operate on their own, answer to none, and do take care of the most dangerous threats to this or that. Known space is under attack by a race of... something. I do not remember if they are evil robots or evil aliens. Their technology is very advanced compared to the 'good' species. Your mission is to forge an alliance of all 'good' species and recover enemy technology so that you have a fighting chance against them. Any similitude with the adventures of a certain Commander Extreme is purely coincidental.

You do explore planets for resources, trade with other species, fight enemy ships, and take care of diplomacy. The game does have some very nice little details like the need to power down your weapons when you do find a friendly ship in space so that they do not mistake you for a pirate which could hurt your diplomatic standing with them. The graphics are very nice. It is not a deep or complex game but I do like it. If memory does not betray me it was the first abandonware science fiction game I did play and the reason I did later play games such as hard nova and the like.

It is kind of hard at the beginning. The random encounters with the 'evil' ships are very hard. Even to run away might be too hard as they have far better engines than normal ships do. And the ship to ship combat is closer to Space Rogue than it is to Hard Nova or Whale's Voyage.

Later on I may try to do a Let's Play of it. I did want to do so for a long time.

Cool name

Arcane
III. Only the beautiful live forever.

We do leave Ariel and move to the nearest stargate. It does take us to the Rouyn system. Or the Rouyn sector. It is the same. The two planets there have nothing of importance in them. It is impossible to land on Cascade given the massive gravity. In Rouyn we have no coordinates to visit. Other than this there are three elements of interest in the area. We have an asteroid cluster near Rouyn, a stargate we are unable to enter as our navigator does know it leads to the core of a star, and a lonely asteroid which is not a part of the cluster. Closer inspection does reveal it to be a Bremar Astership. We do have to use our boarding system to visit it.

AL%20000974.png

AL%20000975.png

AL%20000984.png

AL%20000985.png

I do like the idea of spacecraft built from asteroids. Dig a hole, build a Dwarf Fortress, clamp a few rockets and a few gun turrets. It does feel cozy just to think about it. Which does probably mean I have spent far too long crawling dungeons. In any case we do explore the astership. There is not much worthy of mention. All but one non player characters on it are generic Bremar. There are a few small caves and a few big caves. Some are lit by fires around which the Bremar gather.

I do speak with a random Bremar.

AL%20000985.png

nova.png
Do please take me to your leader.

ace.png
You just did want to say that, did you not?

breman.png
Continue into the astership, and maybe the songmaster will speak to you.

We do continue to explore the corridors and caves. One of the caves does have the label of a 'songer school.' In this chamber we can find and copy Disk Q for our viewer. I do so.

AL%20000990.png

AL%20001103.png

Finally we do arrive at the deepest cave in the astership. It is a massive chamber lit by an I hope great pyre in the center of it. This we do find the songmaster. He is a terrible host. Many fairy curses will fall upon him.

AL%20000995.png

nova.png
I do want but to ask a few question and maybe offer our services to you.

breman.png
Not now. This is important work I'm doing. If what you had to say was as important, I'd listen, believe me. But since this is the top priority, you'll have to come back later.

nova.png
Hmpf. Do suit yourself. Yet do know your lack of proper hospitality and etiquette does show the plebeian roots of your house and demesne. Fare thee well.

We do leave the Astership. We do return to Mastassini so that we can run contraband from there to Tikorr and train at the robomaze. We do so for a long time. By the time I do grow sick of this process our three characters did greatly develop in power and ability.

AL%20000693.png

AL%20000685.png

AL%20000689.png

We do fly to Holbrook and land on the red dot in our orbital map. This is the Starkiller headquarters.

AL%20000699.png

AL%20000700.png

AL%20000701.png

It is a small base with just a store and three non player characters. We do talk with Leod first.

AL%20000706.png

AL%20000708.png

AL%20000709.png

nova.png
I do see it is impossible for me to hide from you my true nature. And pigs do indeed fly.

You reach up to yank his tail. He jerks his tail out of your grasp and floats just out of reach.

darca.png
I hate that joke. I've always hated that joke.

nova.png
No one would call a Dercator a farceur.

darca.png
We have a very sophisticated sense of humor. But none of it relates to bodies, only bodily functions.

nova.png
Very high class indeed.

darca.png
If you knew more about how our excretory system works-

nova.png
Do please spare me the details.

darca.png
Suit yourself. Have you seen Kendall yet?

nova.png
I have not. To fool around does always come before business.

darca.png
I'd get in there if I were you. Kendall wouldn't call you on an open channel if it wasn't important. Talk to me later.

We do leave him be and explore around the base. In the communications room we do find another character to talk to.

AL%20000724.png

AL%20000725.png

nova.png
I could use a communications technician on my ship.

janai.png
Sorry. Kendall has informed me he already has a certain crew in mind. I'm waiting for his call. Maybe next time.

nova.png
As you do prefer. It may be a smart choice. Not everyone is able to keep up with me.

janai.png
If it pleases you to think so. But it is more likely that there are better mercs out there than you.

nova.png
Am I to understand you do wish to put that under empirical scrutiny? Though it must be said if I had the looks of you I would also be desperate to feel superior at something.

ceri.png
Did we not bully and shot enough people already? Let us leave her be.

ace.png
For the time being.

nova.png
And not a second more.

Shortly afterwards we do finally find Kendall.

AL%20000733.png

AL%20000734.png

nova.png
I do treat it as if it were my own skin and hair.

kendall.png
Yeah, I believe that.

You think he's being sarcastic, but you're never sure with Kendall.

nova.png
If I may be so bold as to ask, why did you call me here?

kendall.png
You never were one for small talk.

ace.png
Blessed ignorance.

kendall.png
Fine. I've got a job for you. It's not a tough one. I thought I'd bring you back up to speed slowly.

nova.png
Do tell me more about it.

kendall.png
A ciberan water tanker's been hijacked. The ship was empty in spacedock, so there aren't any hostages, and we haven't heard any demands. I think they just want the ship.

nova.png
We do kick the airlock and shoot everything that does move. I do understand.

kendall.png
Except we'd all appreciate it if you just dispatched the hijackers without blowing any holes in the hull.

You smile and say nothing.

kendall.png
Just... Just do the best you can. We don't know exactly where it is, but it left Ciberan and we think it's on it's way to the stargate. You'll get 5,000 for the job.

nova.png
I do have to wonder where did you lose the kippah. Is there more I should know?

kendall.png
That's it. Oh, wait, Nova. Bring back something to prove you succeeded. The execs are starting to crack down. But don't rip out any gauges or levers or anything.

nova.png
I will depart at once. And do let me add I am grateful for the new ship. It is a wonderful one.

kendall.png
You've done good for us, Nova. It was our turn. Now get out there and clean off that ship. Just let it float when you're done. Some ciberans will go get it later.

nova.png
As you do wish. It will be done in an instant.

I do talk to Leod as I leave the base.

darca.png
Are you still hanging around here? This isn't a resort, you know. Get on with it.

His tail swishes back and forth with impatience.

nova.png
I did never imagine Dercators did suffer PMS.

darca.png
Oh, it's you. I thought you were somebody else. Are you going to pick up any smuggling missions?

nova.png
Is that not illegal, good sir? I would never do such a thing as to smuggle. Nor would I betray the trust Kendall does put on me by acting in such a manner most reprehensible while I am part of his organization.

darca.png
You don't think he knows you smuggle? He doesn't give a man what you do for recreation as long as you do your job.

nova.png
This does change not the fact I am but good girl who does respect the law as well as the sovereignty of nations and the intellectual property of individuals. I would never do such a dastardly thing as to smuggle. She who does ignore the three formulations of the categorical imperative does nothing but to question the very structure of society.

The flaps of his flotation sacks flutter. You think he's laughing.

I do return to the ship. I do not wish to pay for passage through Ariel space. We do race instead through it with the Ariellan fleet on our tails and enter the stargate that does lead to Ciberan. Only it is actually the one that does lead to Rouyn. We do refill the tank on the station above Rouyn and return to Ariel. Again I do resist to pay for passage. We do race to the other stargate with the Ariellan fleet on our tails.

The system in which Ciberan is to be found is a bothersome system to fly through. The Ariellan fleet does keep a blockade around Ciberan. I do imagine they do so to control the water trade in the four systems. They will shoot against us if we do get too close. Many Starkiller and Delta Coro ships fly through the sector and fight above the world the Lanta did colonize and on which they did establish a lucrative weapon trade.

We do navigate carefully and find the starship we are to liberate adrift midway between Ciberan and the stargate leading to Ariel. We do board it.

AL%20000788.png

AL%20000793.png

AL%20000797.png

We do begin in the airlock. The equipment our enemies do have is neither good nor awful. An important thing to understand in Hard Nova is that doors can only be traversed if there is no one on the other side. Many times the difference between an easy fight and a hard fight does lie on whether you do abuse an empty room to recover in between shots or you do not. The enemies themselves will have it impossible to pursue you into the room if you or one of your companions is right at the entrance. This does also allow Nova to clear an entire fortress by herself if she does take care.

To balance this to stay in the open during a battle is foolish. Even this first mission can be very hard if you do not retreat into empty rooms to recover.

AL%20000798.png

We do charge out the airlock. Nova does block the door to the engine room so that the party can kill the other hijacker without trouble. Then they do secure the engine room and proceed to advance through the passage.

AL%20000805.png

The enemy does usually shoot the target closest to them. This does allow me to decide who is the enemy's target when I place everyone in a line and move Nova from position to position.

AL%20000807.png

AL%20000808.png

Nova does level up as the party does fight the hijackers. We do retreat to a room near the airlock so that she can invest her points in safety. She does raise her ship evasion skill to 9. We do kill several more hijackers and then come to the end of the ship. There are two more enemies on the bridge. The commander is on the small room above. I do decide to clean the bridge first. I do enter and leave the room until one of the hijackers is dead. It is a bit bothersome to use such a tactic with a party. Then we do assault the bridge and kill the remaining one.

AL%20000815.png

AL%20000816.png

Our reward is a SMG-70X and a belt of ammunition for it. I do prefer the automagnum.

Only the commander does remain. He will not move from his place on the console. This does make it impossible for us to bring our party to the fight. Instead we do enter and leave the room several times. Each time we do enter Nova does shoot and jump back into cover. Sometimes the commander manages to shoot her before she does leave the room. In those cases she does rest outside the room until she does recover.

After a short battle the commander does lie dead.

ceri.png
It does seem he did drop an item. Is it a rare one? Do we have to roll for 'need' or-

ace.png
You do play too many hologames. It is just his head.

ceri.png
His... How does that even happen?

nova.png
'twas a mighty shot I do reckon.

ace.png
It does seem all the time we did invest in the robomaze did serve a purpose. We are like Charlie's Angels.

ceri.png
or YuRiPa.

nova.png
Or TaeTiSeo.

breman.png
*intercomm* Where does that leave me?

nova.png
You are the chauffer. Do please warm it up and be ready to leave.

We go back to the ship. Before we do return to Kendall we decide to visit the Lanta world. Its name is Varan and we do have but a single contact on the surface. To enter orbit we do have to break through a battle between a Starkiller squadron and a Delta Coro one. We just run through. Space combat is not the game's best point.

AL%20000826.png

AL%20000827.png

AL%20000828.png

AL%20000830.png

There is not much to do here. Lanta from both sides of the philosophical schizm that does divide the species, the Frags and the Disps, do coexist peacefully in Glumpon. They are all generic non player characters with little of interest to say. Other than that we can but shop in the central room.

AL%20000834.png

nova.png
I did never expect to find such a peaceful Lanta settlement. Are you not at war with the Disps?

lanta.png
We are more concerned with trade here than converting others to our beliefs.

nova.png
Yet you do still believe in the absolute superiority of your own creed.

lanta.png
Of course I do. Good day, fellow abomination.

I do check the shop. There is nothing I do want to buy at the moment.

AL%20000846.png

We do refuel in Varan's orbital station and return to the Starkiller headquarters. Once there I go straight to Kendall.

kendall.png
So, Nova, did you find those hijackers?

nova.png
I do pity whomever they do assign to clean the ship.

kendall.png
So, give me your proof. I need to put it in the file before I close it and send out the invoice.

rinterrupt.jpg

We do so.

kendall.png
What the hell is this?!

nova.png
No one will be able to question we did complete the mission if we do show them the commander's head.

He crams it into the disposal chute and then starts mopping up with some napkins.

kendall.png
Man, I knew I was going to catch hell from you with this proof requirement!

nova.png
I do live but to serve. Do you have another assignment we can take care of?

kendall.png
Not yet. I'll credit your account the 5,000 for the job. GO smuggle for awhile or something. I'll call you when I have something for you.

nova.png
I must protest. These baseless and libelous assumptions are nothing but hurtful to my reputation.

kendall.png
Uh, huh.

Kendall doesn't look up as he continues to mop up the top of his desk.

nova.png
I will take my leave then. Do try to find a mission worth my time.

kendall.png
Relax, will you? I'll call you when I get a job for you. You're my number one. I save the best ones for you. Now beat it until I call you - I don't have the time for a bull session.

nova.png
As you do request.

Nova and her companions do wonder for a little while what to do with their time. In the end they do decide to move to Mastassini and get a contraband run to Tikorr. Once there they will take the time to complete the secondary mission there and explore both the out-of-the-way hoverdock and the DSRE laboratory.

Yet as soon as they do leave Mastassini Kendall does send them a message.

AL%20000892.png

Nova does decide to ignore it for the time being. She does have a cargo of contraband on the hold and does want to check the weapons the Delta Coro did steal from the merchant who did pass the information to her. After they do unload the contraband they move to the bar in which the illegal casino is to be found. They buy ammunition on the shop and move to face the Delta Coro.

AL%20000911.png

nova.png
Do we interrupt a private game?

dcoro.png
You've got to be damn stupid to come up here, Starkiller. But your money is the same as ours. Feel free to stay and lose all your cash, but stay away from our weapons.

He nods toward some nasty weapons.

nova.png
You do hurt my feelings. I am not the kind of girl who would steal that for which you did pay dearly.

All the Delta Coro turn on you.

dcoro.png
She knows! Kill her!

nova.png
Do please try not to bleed on my new weapons.

The gunfight that does follow is pretty brutal. As soon as the proyectiles and energy bolts do start to fly around Nova jumps to the side of the entrance to take cover. Both Cerallon and Ace do take many shots in her place. Nova does move towards the lower left corner of the elevator so that her companions may follow her into cover but the wall is too short for them all to fit. She does move the party back and forth so that there is always someone shooting while the other do recover. Yet the group's health does not recover fast enough for her to keep the cycle up. These Delta Coro are not the thugs they did face before. They do know their business. Six of them have a clear shot to the entrance. And while she does recover after her armor did take more than a few shots...

AL%20000918.png

ceri.png
A-Ace! Ace!

nova.png
Do keep your head down.

ceri.png
B-But she's... She's...!

nova.png
All over the place. I do have eyes.

Nova and her companion do relocate to a different corner of the room. There is a spot nearby to which only two or three Delta Coro have line of sight to. From here she will be able to fight them in relative safety. Yet it does seem Cerallon was not cut up for this life after all. She's too fragile for these Delta Coro.

ceri.png
... H...lp... m...

nova.png
I can do nothing but hope you did enjoy your blaster experience while it did last.

ceri.png
*does choke on blood*

Yet Nova is not really sad. This does mean she no longer does need to worry about their positions and their health. One could say she does feel but relief. One could even say she does feel a little bit of joy. There are much worse things for her reputation that to splatter eight professional Delta Coro mercenaries with quality equipment on her own. This is all she does need to get serious. Her mind does become void. Entirely she does focus.

nova.png
Do you Delta Coro know which is the difference between Orange Caramel and NS Yoon-G?

Before they can try to answer one of them is dead. Then she does slaughter the rest. There was little they could do to stop her.

AL%20000925.png

AL%20000927.png

AL%20000929.png

nova.png
(._.) I do guess one could say...

nova.png
( ._.)>⌐■-■

nova.png
(⌐■_■) ...this table is bust.

breman.png
*intercomm* Sigh.

nova.png
Do be a good navigator.

breman.png
*intercomm* Ahem... YEEEAAAAAAAAAH!

nova.png
I do thank you very much.

The renown itself would be enough to make her happy. The loot is however delightful. She does claim a bag of rare gems, an M23-30AR (25 speed and 10 to 30 damage), a JW2 Blaster (25 speed and 15 to 30 damage), and an energy cell.

nova.png
Jingle bells, jingle bells...

breman.png
*intercomm* Do take a look at the mess your greed did cause. Do you have no more to say about it?

nova.png
It does depend.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do tell me on what.

nova.png
On what does the scouter say.

breman.png
*intercomm* Alright. Alright. You do win. You are badass. Happy now?

nova.png
You do me honor.

breman.png
*intercomm* You are also a cold and inhumane egotistic bitch in love with herself.

nova.png
It is not my fault to have exquisite taste.

She does want to use the Blaster but it does require a different skill than Firearms. Her chance to hit with it is but 25% instead of the 95% she does get with the Automag and the M23-30AR. There is but a single fix to that.

nova.png
And do please warm the ship up. We are leaving for the robomaze as soon as I do return.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dear Agassi, it's quite a wonder to see how you can make such an old fun game this much a pleasure to the eyes and mind.
Do please go on, I'll keep following it with awe.

Cool name

Arcane
@ Azira: I will pick more crewmembers as they do become available. The Let's Play will get a bit boring if it is all about Punch being a smartass and Nova being cute and innocent half the time and a sociopathic bitch the other half. But I do not think I will train them. I will grind only Nova from now on. It does take too long to train the recruits given how little Aptitude they do begin with and they do die too easily to justify the investment. With Nova's current Aptitude and Firearms she does need but three level ups to max a skill. Alone in the robomaze she will get it in no time with the Automagnum as long as she does bring enough ammunition.

@ Helly: I am glad you do enjoy my little Let's Play. I will try my best to keep it so. Thank you very much for the kind words. :)

lightbane

Arcane
+ *intercomm* You are also a cold and inhumane egotistic bitch in love with herself.

-It is not my fault to have exquisite taste.

I love these exchanges :lol: Too bad Nova has a less than heroic behaviour.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Agassi said:
I do like the idea of spacecraft built from asteroids.

Now what does that remind me of? Oh yeah, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.

9514.png
My world...very confused. Civilization there is...wait, doing conversions...is millions of your months old. Then...three weeks ago last Tuesday...we discovered beneath the surface of the planet...technology far beyond ours.

9514.png
Initial thought is that planet is really...spaceship disguised as planet. But when we entered inner core of spaceship, we find...

9515.png
This is the part I like.

9514.png
...inside spaceship is enormous asteroid.

9516.jpg

9514.png
That is...what we believed as well.

9514.png
Scientists probing asteroid now have evidence that asteroid only look like asteroid, but is actually spaceship of even more advanced race.

Agassi said:
I do have to wonder where did you lose the kippah.

:lol:

And "Good day, fellow abomination" must be the best greeting I've heard.

Cool name

Arcane
@ Crooked Bee: The exchange you did post was lovely. I do have to hunt for that game.

@ lightbane: I did have to pick between to LARP Nova as an heroic badass tomboy like Shepard or to LARP Nova as an anti-heroic girly narcissistic sociopath. As I do despise tomboys and am unable to write an emotional moment worthy of more than a cringe the choice was clear. No heroic moments for her.

IV. Meatshield galore.

Nova does visit the robomaze and does grind her special weapons skills all the way to twenty. She does equip the JW2 Blaster and once back in the ship she does give these things she does no longer need to her navigator. The transition area of the inventory does have a limit for how many items it is able to hold. She does not want to throw what she does no longer needs as in her mind she does still expect to find useful companions down the road. Such naivety.

She does visit the Starkiller headquarters. Yet she does not speak to Kendall. She does go straight to the arms dealer and buy herself enough energy cells to fill her inventory and then some more to keep in the pool. She does leave for Tikorr next. From now on I will take a contraband mission for any planet I do have to visit. If there is not a mission for this planet I will take a mission on the closest one along the way. There is not much point in a careful description of each and every contraband run. Just do keep in mind they do happen.

Once in Tikorr Nova does visit the out-of-the-way hoverdock she did previously found as she did explore the area under the shield. As soon as she does land the Darcator do attack. The Darcator are only visible when you do have one of them as a target. All others are invisible even when they do fire. You do only see the beam.

AL%20000034.png

AL%20000041.png

She does explore the installation. She does slaughter the Darcator. Some areas of the base do hold more than eight Darcators. She does use the doors to her advantage when she does face those. Instead of using them to lock the enemies out she does leave a single space in front of the door so that a single Darcator does come in. After she does kill it she does proceed to block the door so that she can enjoy some time to recover. Then she does it again.

At other times she does just pop moles.

AL%20000043.png

The base is full of ammo for her Blaster. There is a Rush AML and a Battle Armor (8 protection and 10 slowness) to be found. She does equip both pieces of equipment. She does also obtain a few high level weapons: A Blater Rifle (20 to 40 damage) which does use Energy Packs for ammunition instead of Energy Cells and a Thermocaster (30 to 60 damage) which does use its own type of ammunition. Both do use the special weapons skill. Soon the thermocaster will become her favorite weapon for the rest of the game. Yet for the time being she does still use the JW2 Blaster and at times the Blaster Rifle with the ammunition she did find in the Darcator base.

Deep within the base she does come across a cell with a single prisoner.

AL%20000130.png

Yet she does not talk to him. There is a relation between this and a future quest. To talk with him now may break the game. Instead she does leave for the DSRE laboratory she did discover earlier.

There are no doors in the first few levels of the laboratory. She does need to be very careful on how to pick the enemies to face only a few at a time. Most of the enemies in the first floor are Delta Coro mercenaries and combat robots who do not move until Nova does attack the group they do belong to. Yet even when they do move the JW2 Blaster, the Battle Armor, and the Rush AML are more than enough to deal with a small group of them.

AL%20000145.png

AL%20000157.png

AL%20000158.png

AL%20000161.png

As she does clear the main groups of mercenaries she does find two things of interest. The first one is an entry lift.

AL%20000166.png

The second one is a broken robot. Next to the robot is a circuit board that she will need to repair it. An inspired puzzle this is not.

AL%20000168.png

AL%20000174.png

nova.png
What problem is there with you little one?

alice.png
Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately..

nova.png
How do I repair you?

alice.png
Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately... Motor systems failure... Repair immediately...

nova.png
I do want to help you. Yet I do neet you to explain to me what is wrong.

alice.png
Missing circuit board zed-nine-stroke-beta-two... Missing circuit board zed-nine-stroke-beta-two... Missing circuit board zed-nine-stroke-beta-two...

nova.png
I do understand. Do please tell me what do you need.

alice.png
I can repair... Supply missing circuit board... I can repair... Supply missing circuit board... I can repair... Supply missing circuit board... I can repair... Supply missing circuit board...

nova.png
Is this the board you do need? You may have lost it during the batt-

Alice snatches the circuit board. It works like crazy, breaking as many connections as it makes. The finished patch looks barely operative. You are not surprised when it says...

alice.png
Ready for new orders.

nova.png
Do please follow me.

alice.png
I will follow.

nova.png
I am glad to have you with me. What functions do you have?

alice.png
Cleaning and organizing all areas. I also destroy unauthorized lifeforms. Primarily: Rats, Hookahs, Cockroaches.

nova.png
You and I will most definitely get along.

Alice does have a Plasmacannon with 150 rounds and a G1 Plasteel armor. She is unable to equip different weapons or armor and the plasmagenerators she does use as magazines have a steep price. And as you will soon see she is essential for the main quest. Beyond this episode I will never take her away from the ship other than to have her accomplish that which only she is able to do.

Nova and Alice do take the elevator to the next level below. The Delta Coro did not manage to reach this level before we did take care of them. Only combat robots still under DSRE are to be found there. Yet they do not recognize us as friendly. I do have to fight my way through them.

AL%20000207.png

AL%20000213.png

AL%20000214.png

Some of the passageways do have forcefields that do block them. Those do also occur from the third level of the robomaze onwards. This is one of the reasons I did never got too far on it. As experience does equal damage done and the enemies do respawn every time you do switch levels it is faster to clear the first level, then clear the second level, then clear the first level once again, and so on than to deal with the forcefields and the mazes below when all you do want to do is grind robots to level up.

Yet let us get back to the DSRE secret laboratory. We do clean the second level and find the elevator that does lead to the third. Only Alice is able to activate it. Every time we do come here we will need her to open the way for us.

We do reach the third level. After we do take a few steps a cutscene does come to capture us.

AL%20000225.png

AL%20000226.png

AL%20000227.png

Nova does awake in a cell somewhere.

breman.png
*intercomm* I do bet you are happy this is not a japanese game.

nova.png
That does entirely depend on who does hold me prisoner.

The robot was left behind. She does connect to it using F8 as I did previously explain.

AL%20000229.png

AL%20000230.png

Alice does see the dungeon as a chipboard. It can be confusing until you do understand she is still at the entrance of level 3. Once you do you can see the corridors and the walls with ease. The combat robots do not consider her hostile and thus she is free to explore the level until she does find the elevator to level 4. Yet she is unable to do much else. She can't even pick up items.

AL%20000232.png

AL%20000233.png

AL%20000236.png

Once in level 4 she does free Nova. They move through the doors to the south of the cell to find themselves in the DSRE laboratory. There are many scientists going around. There is a shortcut that does take her back to the hovercraft but she does not use it yet.

AL%20000247.png

nova.png
I am but looking for a little delicatessen.

She stares at you.

sci.png
You must have a pass, or you wouldn't be here. The ranking researcher must be expecting you. She's down the hall. Go west.

nova.png
In the grim future of the four systems there are only people with no manners.

She turns and ignores you.

To presently talk with the head scientist would spoil future events and quests and maybe break the game. We do ignore her and instead proceed to explore and loot the complex. As Nova does already have all the equipment she will need (the thermocaster, the battle armor, and the rush AML) all the loot we do find I do consider fodder for the vendors. I do only keep a few pieces to equip future companions with. In one of my smarter moves I do keep mostly the energy weapons as their base damage and damage potential are higher. Almost no companion does start with the special weapons skill. Those who do have only a few points on it.

For the time being there are only two places of interest in the laboratory. The first is the auditorium.

AL%20000263.png

Nova does fix the console.

nova.png
A wizard did it.

An old lecture tape begins to play. A woman appears and begins speaking. 'This is my paper entitled: Analysis of the assertion that the Rouyn planet Cascade is a stable fraction of a fragmented Black Dwarf stellar body of mass 10EXP28.' The rest of her talk is a reiteration of the title.

The second place of interest is a room in which an infoman is to be found.

AL%20000274.png

AL%20000276.png

nova.png
I do not mean to pry but do you feel well?

He doesn't respond. He looks heavily drugged.

nova.png
Is there someone in there?

The terminal shuts down, and the man stirs. He murmurs...

waldro0.png
Can't... talk... when... accessing... please... help...

The terminal lights up again, and he slumps.

nova.png
I do not understand what you do try to say.

He doesn't respond.

nova.png
Are you still there?

The terminal shuts down, and he stirs. He murmurs...

waldro0.png
Please... help... destroy...

The terminal lights up again, and he slumps. You wait for the terminal to shut off again.

nova.png
Do please explain to me what do you need.

waldro0.png
Shoot... me... please... can't... stand... it... anymore...

nova.png
Do please forgive me but I must protest. Why is it no one does ever ask of me nothing but to shoot things down? Do I look like a thug to you?

breman.png
*intercomm* Do you want the honest answer or the proper one?

nova.png
Hush you.

waldro0.png
No... just... shoot...

He sucks in a breath.

waldro0.png
Terminal... grounded.

breman.png
*intercomm* He does want you to shoot the terminal. Not his brains.

The terminal lights up again, and he slumps.

nova.png
I am not sure about this. Is it not against our professional ethics to shoot thing for free?

breman.png
*intercomm* I doubt he will feel in a position to negotiate while you do keep a smoking gun in his general direction.

nova.png
A fine point you do make.

Nova does take her gun and does as the man did ask.

AL%20000320.png

AL%20000321.png

nova.png
Sir, are you okay?

breman.png
*intercomm* He might be if you do actually lend him a hand.

nova.png
That would be unladylike.

He shakes his head and leans against the wall.

waldro.png
Imagine the biggest hangover you've ever had, and then... double it. Imagine that.

nova.png
Do please forgive me but if I were to do what you do ask this would turn into a bad Scanners reimagining. May I inquire your name?

waldro.png
Uh... Ordlaw. No, Waldro. I think.

He stands up from the wall and totters.

waldro.png
Thanks for shooting me out of there. For a minute, I thought you weren't gonna do it.

nova.png
Do understand I did lose my entire changing room when my previous ship did explode. It will not replace itself. Which does bring us to a matter worthy of discussion. Do you prefer to join my crew or to donate a new pair of Givenchy jersey boots to your saviour most kind?

waldro.png
I'm with you.

nova.png
Sigh. I was affraid you would say that.

waldro.png
Hey, I've gotta get out of here! I've gotta go save Denner!

nova.png
I do not believe I do understand.

waldro.png
He... He's my brother! We... We came out from the core and got kidnapped! I got turned into an infoman, and Denner's being forced to repair Darcator ships.

nova.png
A bell does ring most distant.

waldro.png
He's a prisoner in a Darcator ship repair garage, coords (0326,0527).

Waldro staggers a bit.

waldro.png
He's counting on me. I'm the only one who can get him out.

nova.png
Why am I sure he will also pick the 'crew' option?

We do return to the Darcator base we did just clear. With Waldro in our team we are able to lower the forcefield that does imprison Denner.

AL%20000354.png

AL%20000357.png

nova.png
Your brother as I do understand.

denner.png
I don't have any brothers. We don't even look alike!

He stares at Waldro, who stares back at thim, bewildered.

nova.png
Do please explain to me what does this mean.

denner.png
I don't know who...

He pauses and looks at Waldro.

denner.png
Wait a minute. You... You were on the core ship, weren't you? On the C.W.S. Reagal.

waldro.png
Of course, we both came out to the four systems together. Then I found out where you were from the netlink!

nova.png
I am affraid this is not the proper backdrop for such an sce-

denner.png
I remember this guy, now! We met on the Reagal. Hes - no offense, buddy - sort of a basket case. I'm not his brother. We're not even friends.

nova.png
Let us continue this conversa-

waldro.png
How can you say that?! We grew up together! Don't you remember the times we had. We used to... well, I remember how we... You're confusing me, Denner!

nova.png
Do please liste-

denner.png
It's not that I'm not grateful or anything. I owe you a lot. But this guy's cracked. Don't you know what happens to people when you wire their brain?

nova.png
I am affraid I do not watch docume-

denner.png
On top of that, this guy still has six inches of cable dangling from the back of his neck. How did you disconnect him anyway?

nova.png
I did sho-

denner.png
But really, thanks for breaking me out. I can make it up to you. I'm a damn good engineer. I can pay you back with some work.

nova.png
I do accept your proposal. Let us le-

waldro.png
Have you been ill? The Darcator must not be feeding you well. Have they-

nova.png
Enough! Do both of you be silent! Let us stop this already. He who does want to wait for the Darcator can do so. He who does want to come to the ship would do well to follow me as I do leave. Fare ye well.

Everyone stares at you. No one says a word.

We do return to the ship. Or should I say I do bring them to the ship one at a time? The way in which the game does form the away team is strange to say the least. F1 is the team point. This position is for Nova. F2 and F4 are center and trail. These positions are reserved for members of our crew. F3 is the recruit position. This position is reserved for the characters we do recruit. They do only occupy it until we do return to the ship. When we do so they will free the recruit position and move to our crew. From then on they are available for the middle and trail positions.

As I did not return to the ship after I did obtain Waldro Denner moves to the recruit position and Waldro does leave the party to await for us to come back for him even when the party does presently have a free position. I do take Denner to the ship. I do return. I do take Waldro to the ship.

Denner will be marginally useful as ship mechanic. Presently I do have no use for Waldro. I do let him stay on the ship in case I do find a use for him later on.

I do return to the Starkiller headquarters. Nova's murderous spree through the Darcator hoverdock and the DSRE laboratory did win her several levels. This is how her character sheet does look at the present time.

AL%20000430.png

The arms dealer in the headquarters does sell Thermo Packs for the thermocaster. I do buy a fair amount of magazines. Five of these go in Nova's inventory. The rest do remain on the item pool to replenish the ammunition on her inventory when it does run out. I do speak with Kendall when I am done.

kendall.png
It's about time you showed up.

He grins.

kendall.png
I've got two jobs I wouldn't give to anyone but you. Interested?

nova.png
There is neither job too small nor fee too large.

kendall.png
I thought so. The first one is the more important one. Damien Altron has stepped up his raids on Ciberan. It looks like the guy's gone round the bend.

nova.png
What am I to do about this?

kendall.png
Stop it, of course. Altron has established a base somewhere on Ciberan, and he's slowly taking over all the processing stations. Your first objective is to stop the attacks.

nova.png
And what about the second objective your choice of words does imply?

kendall.png
Assasinate Damien Altron and his general, Camede Rodgen.

nova.png
These are high profile targets you do ask me to deal with.

kendall.png
Would you for forty thousand? That's ten times your normal rate.

nova.png
By which you do mean my normal rate is half of what I do obtain from a single contraband run to Tikorr. Yet do count me in, sir. There are things more important than how much I am to be paid.

breman.png
*intercomm* Things such as the popularity, the fandom, the endorsement deals, the interviews, the full page spreads...

Nova does tilt her head in a most quizzical manner.

nova.png
What else could I mean?

kendall.png
Max Sebastion runs Ciberan. He's the one paying. Go see him on Ciberan, at Meridian City, coords (0588,0387). But wait, I've got another job for you.

nova.png
Do tell me about it.

kendall.png
It's not as important, but you're bound to run into problems on Ciberan. Use this other mission to fill in the cracks.

nova.png
I do understand.

kendall.png
It's on Varon. The Lantas are divided into two groups, Frags and Disps, and they fight constantly. The Head Lanta Frag wants you to kidnap the Head Lanta Disp so they can talk. I don't know any more than that. Just go kidnap the Disp leader. Start looking at the Disp temple, it's an old crashed core ship on Varon, coords (0570,0286). Do the best you can.

nova.png
It does feel like a christmas that does never end.

kendall.png
Good. And make sure that scaly little Frag pays you when you see him. He hasn't paid me. He knows he's supposed to pay you.

nova.png
This you can be certain I will not forget.

kendall.png
You need all teh help you can get. I've assigned you a comm tech. She's across the hall in the communication center. Her name is Janai.

nova.png
I did meet with her earlier. She did explain to me she already was on a crew.

kendall.png
She was, but I just reassigned her. Now I've given her the access card to get you in to see Max on Ciberan. Without her, you don't get in.

nova.png
I do love it when you do give the choice.

kendall.png
Right. Oh, one more thing. This Ciberan deal is a big job. There's a guy named Rogers here on Holbrook you might be able to get, at coords (0429,0270).

nova.png
I will see to it.

kendall.png
So get going. You've got a lot of work to do.

We go meet Janai.

janai.png
Kendall just called me. He's reassigned me to your crew.

She dangles a mag card in front of your nose.

janai.png
If you want me, that is. Do you need a communications technician?

nova.png
I do have no choice in the matter. Do make sure you do keep up with me.

janai.png
I can handle anything you can handle.

I do check her character sheet.

AL%20000501.png

nova.png
Should I feel insulted or should I feel bemused? Unable to decide I do find myself.

We do return to the hovercraft and go visit the man Kendall did tell me about.

AL%20000507.png

AL%20000508.png

AL%20000509.png

AL%20000513.png

AL%20000515.png

nova.png
Do please forgive me if I do pry but I do have to ask. Are you not Rogers Amaro? The man who did come up with the plan to use nuclear weapons against the Zero-L as the colony wars were fought.

amaro.png
That's me. All those damn flashlights are my fault. but I don't roll anymore. So what can I do for you?

nova.png
Kendall did send me. He did inform me I would be able find a gunner worthy of trust in this remote place. In an spectacle most bloody I am about to involve myself.

Amaro chuckles.

amaro.png
I told that old desk jockey I was through working for him. I've got better, safer things to do now.

nova.png
Yet-

Nova does place a hand in her hips as she does start to speak.

Before your hand is halfway there, you hear a rustle. You look up to see the black muzzle of a blaster hovering in front of your nose. You never even saw him draw.

nova.png
Do forgive my frankness but I am affraid your manners do leave much to be desired.

amaro.png
Sorry, I thought you were going for a gun.

He drops his gun back into its holster. You hadn't even noticed that he was wearing one.

amaro.png
A man's got to protect himself out there.

nova.png
I could use some protection myself.

amaro.png
Thanks, but I am not interested. I've got other things I'd rather do.

breman.png
*intercomm* Is this were I do exclaim 'Iceburn!' with glee most exagerated?

nova.png
Is it to collect all fish in the sea that you do dedicate your talents now?

amaro.png
It's the largest collection of rare species in the four systems.

He says defensively.

nova.png
Quite the log you must keep.

amaro.png
You'd be surprised. Actually, there's only one more species from the four systems I don't have in my collection. See that yellow one with the black spots? That's a female Hanky Grobbler. All I'm missing is a male Hanky Grobbler.

nova.png
Your words do imply it is a difficult prize to claim.

amaro.png
It's not the kind of thing you can go buy at the drug store. In fact, there's only one male in the four systems. It's...

He rolls his eyes.

amaro.png
It's in the Malibu Bar on Mastassini.

nova.png
I do know for a fact the owner does not much care about fish.

amaro.png
But he does. He says he likes its little fangs. He won't sell it.

nova.png
'tis a sad tale. Would you allow me to look around your collection?

amaro.png
Go ahead. Just let yourself out the front door when you're done. Good day.

Yet it is not in the fish that Nova's interested but on the fish tank that does lie among the collection. She does take it and leaves back to her ship. She does travel to Mastassini. Once in the bar she does search the aquariums until she does find the fish Amaro did mention. She does equip the fish tank in her inventory and a new option does appear.

AL%20000562.png

AL%20000636.png

She does abduct the fish. After a short trip she does hand the fish tank to Amaro.

amaro.png
It's a male Hanky Grobbler! And it's in one of my tanks! I wondered where this thing went. Where in the hell did you get this fish?

nova.png
There are things better left unknown.

amaro.png
Don't tell me. Let me go put him in the tank. I'm impressed you did this. This species is poisonous. One bite and you're dead in two minutes. Hey, are you okay? You look green.

nova.png
Worry not. I got lost in thought for a instant. May I ask what do you intend to do now that your collection is complete?

amaro.png
I don't rightly know.

He grins knowingly.

amaro.png
Got any suggestions?

nova.png
I do have a few things in mind.

amaro.png
I thought you might say that.

nova.png
And I do promise to make fish faces for you if you do get homesick.

amaro.png
Let me get my gun.

He opens a closet and pulls out a massive weapon.

nova.png
You are full of surprises.

amaro.png
I'll let you try it sometime.

breman.png
*intercomm* Do keep up the pace. R'lyeh is within your grasp.

amaro.png
Wait and let me put my tanks on cycle...

He throws some switches in the closet.

amaro.png
Okay, let's go. I'll lock up on the way out.

Amaro's hyperweapon is a M III Laser. It does 12 to 24 damage. A pea shooter in common parlance.

nova.png
Few men are emotionally prepared to face the truth.

I do sell it as soon as I do return to Starkiller headquarters. I do also sell the extra ones he did bring for us. His character sheet is also a disappointment. The only thing he does have going on for him is his aptitude skill. If he does survive long enough he might become useful.

AL%20000670.png

His special weapons skill is too low for me to give him a blaster rifle. I do give him an M23-30AR. It is not much better than the M III Laser but it will have to do for now. Yet with his firearms skill he will miss more often than not. The few times he does not miss he will do far less damage than Nova's thermocaster will. It is all noise and smoke with him.

nova.png
(._.) I do guess one could say...

nova.png
( ._.)>⌐■-■

nova.png
(⌐■_■) ...he is firing blanks.

alice.png
Beep. Beep. Bop. YEEEAAAAAAAAAH!

nova.png
Such a good girl you are.

breman.png
*intercomm* Am I to understand you do intend to keep the very unsubtle innuendo going on for long?

nova.png
You are one to talk. And it is in the job description. As much as he does disappoint he's the only real man we did get to find so far.

waldro.png
denner.png
*intercomm* Thank you.

nova.png
Quod erat demonstrandum.

Our heroine does buy Janai a cheap weapon that's still better than what she does begin with. Fron now on the away team will be Amaro and Janai. Alice is too valuable both in her role as key to the DSRE laboratory on Kitorr and in her role as the only thing that does keep the ship from becoming a pigpen with four bachelors onboard. Denner and Waldro are pretty much useless. It will not be until much later that the captain will be able to find a job to match their still undiscovered talents.

The ship is on a course to Ciberan. Nova and her crew will have to single handedly win the war with Ariel. In the nearby world of Varon they will have to abduct one of the Lanta ideologists. And before long she will have to face an enemy far more terrible than these two put together. Will our favorite superpowered space heroine save the four systems from calamity? Will her starkly underpowered companions survive the bloodbath the game is soon to turn into?

lightbane

Arcane
You powergame like a madwoman, breaking and maiming the game permanently, then complain about the companions being "too weak"? Not very fair are you, really :M

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What a strange game. But hey, Black Cat is back! The name and avatar change, the writing style remains the same. Woop woop, keep it coming!

Plus, I'm always amazed how verbose you are in these things. In my own LP's I often struggle with finding something to say that isn't directly related to game mechanics. I could never run a "story"-LP like this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom