Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Heart of China

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
DAY ZERO: INTRODUCTION

Heart of China is the second game built on the Dynamix Gave Development System first used in Rise of the Dragon. The games share many similarities in interface and gameplay, but there are also some marked difference. Whereas Rise of the Dragon was a nonlinear game with many, many optional sequences, HOC is much more linear and tones down the optional content, though it keeps the multiple solutions approach that made Rise of the Dragon so much fun. The main advantage of the increased linearity is that the story is more focused and the game's structure is tighter. I prefer Rise of the Dragon myself, but I think that Heart of China is the better designed game.

The biggest difference is in tone and setting. Rise of the Dragon was a futuristic dystopia with some decidedly dark undertones mixed in with the lulz and action. Heart of China is pure carefree adventure in the best High Road to China tradition. Movie and game share quite a bit: the 20's/30's, the plane pilot, the damsel (inverted; in the movie she's looking for he father, in the game her father sends you to look for her), the adventure/comedy mix, the evil Chinese warlord, and in both cases half the game/movie has nothing to do with China. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, as you get to see more exotic locales as backdrop for the adventure, and the adventure itself is lots of fun. Keep an eye out for Andhaira making a cameo later on.

Another major difference is technical. Heart of China borrows from David Wolf its use of live actors against computer backdrops. But unlike Davild Wolf, it actually looks good here, mainly because there's more work put into the acting, the makeup and the costumes to capture the feel of the era, and because the ugly 16-color backgrounds are replaced with hand-painted backgrounds that, while grainy in 256-colors, still look quite good.

Enough of my blabbering, on with the game!

hoc_000.png

Yep, it's a Dynamix game.

hoc_001.png

hoc_002.png

The Chinese characters morph into the English words. This effect is used quite often in the game. It looks pretty cool.

hoc_003.png

hoc_004.png

And here are all the fine people who brought you this game. The credits are, unfortunately, more boring than those of Rise of the Dragon. Still, notice how every single person named is someone who did something on the GAME ITSELF. Nowadays you get dozens of names with weird titles involving PR and/or marketing, who in other words didn't contribute anything to the game.

hoc_005.png

hoc_006.png

hoc_007.png

hoc_008.png

hoc_009.png

hoc_010.png

hoc_011.png

hoc_012.png

This is followed by the introductory scene.

hoc_013.png

hoc_014.png

hoc_015.png

hoc_016.png

hoc_017.png

hoc_018.png

hoc_019.png

hoc_020.png

hoc_021.png

hoc_022.png

hoc_023.png

hoc_024.png

Just like any good comedy adventure, there isn't much of a plot, only an excuse to get things off the ground (literally in this case) and start the adventure. There's quite a bit of text that follows and sets the mood and introduces the main character (ie you), but I'm not typing it. I'll have enough typing with the LOOOOOOOOOOONG dialogs, so you'll have to just read off the screenshots for now.

hoc_025.png

hoc_026.png

hoc_027.png

hoc_028.png

hoc_029.png

hoc_030.png

hoc_031.png

hoc_032.png

And with this the game begins in Hong Kong.

hoc_033.png

The floating debris you see is that of the sampan mentioned in the text. Notice how the interface looks identical to Rise of the Dragon. I won't go over it again (if you haven't read my Rise LP then shame on you; go do it now), but I will point out some of the differences when the time is right.

Now, I still start the Day One update next with what Lomax told you to do: finding Zhao Chi. However, the game doesn't force you to do so. It is entirely possible for Lucky to go after Nurse Kate by himself. I will devote the rest of the update showing how, and why this is not a good idea.

hoc_123.png

Let's head to the airport, hop onto the plane and take off!

hoc_126.png

hoc_branch.png

This is another new feature in Heart of China. In the previous game, alternate solutions and paths were not pointed out to you. Here, since the game is so linear, taking one path automatically prevents you from taking the other. This Plot Branch alert is the game's way of telling you you're at a junction where you could have done things differently.

Now before you all start shouting "DECLINE!", notice the way I carefully worded this: COULD HAVE DONE. The alert pops up AFTER you have already committed to one path, not AT the intersection; by the time you see it, it's already too late to go back (barring loading a saved game). Also, since it shows up at the point of no return, in several cases it doesn't really help you in determining what particular action sent you on one path or the other, since that action could be quite a bit further back in the game. Finally, and most importantly, while most paths are alternatives and funnel back together, some of them are NOT paths to victory, and can even lead to a dead end Sierra-style. Naturally there's no way to tell from the alert itself if this is the case. For your information, this particular alert is one such dead end, as you will see presently.

hoc_127.png

hoc_128.png

And so Lucky is off by himself to Chengdu, where Li Deng is holding Kate Lomax for his pleasure.

hoc_149.png

Remember what Lomax said in the introduction? $200,000, minus $20,000 per day lost. Some of the losses, such as this one, are unavoidable and part of the minimal journey. There are several points during the game where you can needlessly lose time, and for each one another $20K will fly away. Unfortunately, this is all useless. It is entirely possible to get to zero and nothing happens. The entire element will eventually be rendered pointless due to a plot point being introduced and will never appear again. The game has some C&C, but this is not part of it. A shame, as the ending being affected by how careless Lucky is with his time would've been pretty cool.

hoc_129.png

Now here's where things get interesting. For almost two decades I thought that was it. Not having Chi would always lead to the following situation. In fact at one point I saved the game here and tried each and every available landing spot, and they all led to the same outcome:

hoc_130.png

hoc_131.png

hoc_136.png

hoc_theend1.png

hoc_theend2.png

Pretty straightforward: the game won't let you land on spurious grounds (WWI hotshot my ass). Or so I thought. Because, the very first time I tried to land, while trying to get a screenshot of the above game over, I instead got this:

hoc_131.png

hoc_132.png

Talk about improbable! Turns out you CAN land! I will skip all you can see and do however, because while you can get out of the plane, you can't get very far. You NEED Chi, and there's no way I've found around that. Trying to get into the fortress either way invariably leads to this:

hoc_133.png

hoc_134.png

hoc_135.png

hoc_theend2.png

It's not entirely a dead end though, because you can fly back to Hong Kong. Since my ego demands a minimal waste of time, I will instead be restarting at the docks for the next update. However, before we end this one I will leave you with the opening page of the Travel Guide that comes with the game, courtesy of Replacementdocs. Throughout this LP I will start each location's update with the relevant pages from the Guide to keep you up to speed with places and people. Besides, it is quite a funny, though not in the same WTF way as the Dynamix Comix.

Guide00.jpg

Guide01.jpg

Next time: Lucky out and about in Hong Kong!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wonderful. :love:

Also, E.A.? As in Electronic Arts? :roll:
(Yes, I'm aware that's the name of the girl's father. Or should I say "farther"? ;))

lightbane

Arcane
And here are all the fine people who brought you this game. The credits are, unfortunately, more boring than those of Rise of the Dragon. Still, notice how every single person named is someone who did something on the GAME ITSELF. Nowadays you get dozens of names with weird titles involving PR and/or marketing, who in other words didn't contribute anything to the game.
But didn't you know?? Games nowadays had become so complex that we need 50+ programmers to create the awesome corridor levels and the realistic "gray and brown with bloom" graphics!! Besides, gameplay is something of the past, you don't need that when you have AWESUM cutscenes and gay sex scenes!!!

Jokes aside, cool lp.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Good game. Some of the solutions are still a mystery to me...and I love the alternate solutions..much better than Dragon.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
RK47 said:
Some of the solutions are still a mystery to me...
There are some that I haven't quite figured out, mainly because I'm not 100% sure if they're real plot branches or fake ones like the one I showed in this update. I'll point these out when I get to them, and I'd be very happy if people point out something I missed.

anus_pounder said:
More deaths? Yes please.
There are quite a few, more than in Rise I think. Since the game is linear it moves you from one section to the other without being able to go back, and each section has its own set of game overs. A lot of them aren't deaths per se, as you will see, but they're not much better.

Crooked Bee said:
Well this was 1991, when Trip Hawkins was the Antichrist and EA was the most evil company in the business. Funny how few things have changed over 20 years.

Anyway I'm now trying to decide how to split my updates. My initial plan was to have each in-game Day be its own update, but some of them (including the next one) are going to be veeeeeeeeeeeeery long due to loads and loads of dialog. Suggestions? Do people mind wading through a dialog with >100 images and a LOT of reading beside it?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sceptic said:
Crooked Bee said:
Well this was 1991, when Trip Hawkins was the Antichrist and EA was the most evil company in the business. Funny how few things have changed over 20 years.

Yup, I did a little mock-LP, Can Electronic Arts make you cry?, about that... just yesterday: http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1727998 :P

Sceptic said:
Anyway I'm now trying to decide how to split my updates. My initial plan was to have each in-game Day be its own update, but some of them (including the next one) are going to be veeeeeeeeeeeeery long due to loads and loads of dialog. Suggestions? Do people mind wading through a dialog with >100 images and a LOT of reading beside it?

I don't mind that, personally. Still, you may want to split the longest ones in two, why not?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY ONE: HONG KONG

Guide02.jpg

Guide03.jpg

Guide04.jpg

Guide05.jpg

Guide06.jpg

Welcome to Hong Kong. We're back at the start of the game, and our goal is to find Zhao Chi and get his help in finding Lomax's daughter, Nurse Kate.

hoc_033.png

But first, let's pay a quick visit to E.A.

hoc_034.png

hoc_035.png

He's obviously not terribly happy to see us.

Tlucky.png
Relax, E.A., I just...

Tlomax.png
RELAX?!!! You good for nothing, bum!!!!

Tlomax.png
My daughter's life is at stake, and you piddle around town doing God knows what, then you come here and tell me to relax?!!!

Tlomax.png
Come back again without Kate, and I'll have you swabbing decks on the junkiest junk in the Far East! Now hit the road!!!

He means it too. Coming back will result in a game over. However, you can get the same one in a funnier way later on, so for now we'll just push on.

hoc_036.png

hoc_037.png

The icon is pointing to a little piece of paper that floats by before resting on this spot. Picking it up makes Lucky comment on it.

hoc_038.png

These speech bubbles appear whenever is thinking something. For the sake of the LP, I will represent them as a bubble around the character's portrait, as seen on the next line.

Tbubblelucky.png
This is one of my fliers that I put out last week.

Tbubblelucky.png
Wait a second. Is someone taking them down? If I catch the idiot, WHAM, turn out the lights!

Let's have a closer look at the flier.

hoc_039.png

Once you reach the point where you need to use the flier, the description will pretty much give away the solution.

hoc_040.png

While we're here let's have a look at Lucky's inventory.

hoc_041.png

Lucky is American. The epitome of the stereotypical loud-mouthed American, as you will come to see in a minute. In the developers' defense, they're all Americans too.

hoc_042.png

hoc_043.png

hoc_044.png

There are two doors here. Since Lucky can't read Chinese, we'll just enter the first one and see what we find.

hoc_045.png

Let's talk to the lady and see Lucky's charisma and diplomacy in action.

Tlucky.png
Ahem... ahem...

Tlucky.png
Hello, hello? How about some service?!

hoc_046.png

I would've liked to use different fonts but I couldn't see any way to do this on the 'dex, so instead, whenever someone talks in this script, I'll use italics. This is meant to denote they are speaking/thinking in Chinese, which Lucky doesn't understand but you do (there will be a good explanation for why the player should understand it later on).

Tlucky.png
What's the problem here?

Tbubblewu.png
You.

Tlucky.png
Let's get with the program, lady. I mean, are you open for business or not?

Tlucky.png
Gee, I hope I'm not disturbing you.

Diplomacy roll: critical fail.

hoc_047.png

Tlucky.png
Flying ace in the Great War... successful businessman... one of the most eligible bachelors in Hong Kong...

Tlucky.png
Don't you read the paper?

hoc_048.png

Tlucky.png
Huh?

hoc_049.png

Tlucky.png
Do I look Chinese to you? How about in American this time?

Diplomacy roll: you roll even less than a 1.

Tbubblewu.png
American? Know eggplant brighter than this one.

hoc_050.png

Tlucky.png
That's it. I'm out of here!

(BTW if anyone here reads Chinese, I'm curious whether they just strung together a bunch of characters, or whether there's some inside joke that only Chinese readers would get)

hoc_051.png

Tbubblelucky.png
Well I was kinda out of line...

Tbubblelucky.png
maybe even rude... Do I look Chinese to you? Why did I say that?

Tbubblelucky.png
Of course, she didn't help the situation...

Well that went well. Let's try the other door.

hoc_052.png

hoc_053.png

Seems like a quiet enough pub. Let's go see who's at the bar.

hoc_054.png

Let's try the man in the back first.

hoc_055.png

OK never mind. Try the lady "lady" then.

hoc_056.png

Tlucky.png
I already am Lucky.

Twhore.png
Rose mean REAL lucky!

hoc_057.png

Sure, why not. After all, as anyone who played Rise of the Dragon knows, saying yes to prostitutes is totally a good idea in Dynamix games.

hoc_058.png

hoc_059.png

hoc_060.png

hoc_061.png

hoc_062.png

hoc_theend2.png

That's the same ending (with different wording) you get for harrassing Lomax. Do note that it takes about half a dozen clicks to get this game over - in others, twice more than the first one you can get in Rise of the Dragon. :decline:

hoc_063.png

Anyway we reload and pick the other option.

Twhore.png
Sure, Rose understand. You not man enough for Rose.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, you'll never know, babe!

Well, we've only got the barman left.

hoc_064.png

Tho.png
Lucky. Been long time. What Ho can do for you?

hoc_065.png

Now here's how things go. There are 3 back-to-back conversations coming up, and in each one you can mess up, get beaten up, and lose a day (which I outlined in the previous update). Losing a day lets you "bypass" the conversation you were having and skips you to the next one. There's not much point though, so I'll be doing a clean progression through the whole thing. Because it's much more fun, too.

In Ho's case, being threatening or evasive is pointless, so might as well get straight to the point.

Tho.png
You ask right man. Ho know everybody. Who you look for?

hoc_066.png

Tho.png
No. No see.

hoc_067.png

Tho.png
Yes, but...

Tlucky.png
Where can I find him?

Tho.png
Do not know. No see for long time.

hoc_068.png

Tho.png
Maybe, but not think so.

Tlucky.png
Does he...

Tho.png
No know where he is. No talk make me know, either.

Tlucky.png
Amazing. Everywhere you turn, somebody's hotting you up for some moola. So what's your price?

Tho.png
No understand.

Tlucky.png
What do you want, a Benjamin Franklin?

Tho.png
Benjalin Frankmin?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, a hundred bucks.

Tho.png
Money make no difference. No see. Understand?

Tlucky.png
Let me get this straight. You're going to turn down this money...

Tho.png
No see Zhao Chi!

Tlucky.png
And you're going to refuse to help me.

Tho.png
Please, I say no see!

hoc_069.png

Someone else intervenes into the conversation...

hoc_070.png

Tgoon.png
Problem?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, a problem. Want me to spell it out for you?

Tgoon.png
Spell it out?

hoc_071.png

This conversation is a bit trickier. If you're too insulting, Lucky just gets beaten up, so the trick is to skirt as close to acceptable as possible.

Tgoon.png
Small white dog calls us baboons.

Tgoon.png
White dog apologize or baboons dismember!

hoc_072.png

Tgoon.png
Zhao Chi friend of mine. You not see Zhao Chi unless I say you see. That my business.

Tlucky.png
Cut the strong-arm crap.

Tlucky.png
You don't want to let me see Zhao Chi, that's your PROBLEM!

Tlucky.png
But finding Zhao Chi, that's my BUSINESS! Now listen real close.

Tlucky.png
Tell Zhao Chi I need his help and that it's worth the balance of his debt to Lomax.

Tgoon.png
I get around to it eventually.

Tlucky.png
Oh, that reminds me,there is one other thing...

hoc_073.png

:yeah:

hoc_074.png

hoc_075.png

Tlucky.png
I'll say when it's enough! So, you want to start with me or something?

hoc_076.png

Tlucky.png
Oh, sorry, uh, please to finally meet you. Boy you're a hard me to see.

Tninja.png
A Ninja may make himself invisible.

Tlucky.png
That wasn't what I meant... oh, yeah, right.

Tninja.png
Right.

Tlucky.png
Right. Anyway, the name's Jake Masters. Everyone calls me Lucky.

Tninja.png
What you want Jake Masters?

Tlucky.png
Lucky.

Tninja.png
We see about that.

hoc_077.png

Now, we've gone through all this trouble to find Chi, there's not much point in being insulting is there. So you just have to tell him about the situation, and convince him that Lucky is worth helping.

Tninja.png
You not talk about Nurse Kate?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, she's a nurse. Kate Lomax.

Tninja.png
Nurse Kate very good to my people. Like to help. What is wrong?

Tlucky.png
Well, she was kidnapped by some warlord, uh, Li Dink... Di Lenk... something like that.

Tninja.png
Li Deng.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, that's the clown we're dealing with.

Tninja.png
Against so-called clown, you need army not Chi.

hoc_078.png

Tninja.png
You prove courage to Chi not once but twice. But also you reckless.

Tlucky.png
It has its place.

Tninja.png
Yes, but you know when and where?

hoc_079.png

Chi's previous lines make it pretty obvious he doesn't like reckless, so this one's a no-brainer.

Tninja.png
Yes, but so too man who die tomorrow.

Tlucky.png
Look, you either believe in me or you don't. If you do, great, I could use your help.

Tlucky.png
If you don't, I don't want you around anyhow.

Tninja.png
Lucky prove understand more than just good sucker punch. Chi help.

Tlucky.png
Great. Well, uh, do you need to go home and get your toothbrush or something?

Tninja.png
Actually, Ninja always ready for action.

Tninja.png
By the way, what wages for this job?

Tlucky.png
How about five grand?

Tninja.png
And all Chi can eat?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, sure. A scrawny guy like you probably only eats birdseed.

Tninja.png
You be surprised. So, anyway, how we get all the way to Chengdu?

Tlucky.png
No problem. I've got my own plane.

Tninja.png
You mean ARROW-PLANE?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, why?

Tninja.png
That big problem! I not travel in ARROW-PLANE. Only birds can fly.

Tlucky.png
Nonsense! Come on, be serious, airplanes have been around since... uh...

Tlucky.png
Well, tell me you haven't seen one in the sky before.

Tninja.png
Maybe yes, but sometimes eyes play tricks on rest of Chi.

Tlucky.png
Good grief, are you going to tell me you're backing out now?!

Tninja.png
Chi not back out. Chi just no get in ARROW-PLANE.

Tlucky.png
Oh, for crying in the beer!

hoc_080.png

Tbubblelucky.png
Hmmm. If I could figure out a way to show him...

At this point the game automatically opens up the inventory. Remember the flier and its description? We can equip it to fold it into the right shape...

hoc_081.png

... then press right-click to change the cursor to it, followed by left-clicking on Chi to use it.

hoc_082.png

Tlucky.png
Alright, Chi, get a load of this!

Tlucky.png
This is a very, very special, scientifically designed dynamic 3-D flight simulator.

Tninja.png
Look like ordinary paper formed into ARROW-PLANE to Chi.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, pal, well, there's alot going on here beneath the surface. Now pay attention. Anyway, as I was saying...

Tlucky.png
This is very special. Probably would sell like mu-shu pancakes over here.

Tlucky.png
Now, I'm going to use the 3-D flight sim to show how flight is possible.

Tlucky.png
It's all a simple matter of physics, Chi ol' buddy. You see... uh... well...

Tlucky.png
It's like this. You take the inverse cosine of air and that causes... uh...

Tlucky.png
the earth to expel these gases which rise and then you can fly.

Lucky knows his physics even better than nomask did.

Tninja.png
What if inverse cosine of air not taken?

Tlucky.png
Uh... well, it always is.

Tninja.png
Then why do ARROW-PLANES also crash? Was then cosine of air taken to wrong place?

Tlucky.png
Look, this physics stuff is very complex.

Tlucky.png
I mean, I was in undergraduate school for seven years trying to figure it out. Here, just watch.

hoc_083.png

hoc_084.png

Tninja.png
Eyes see, mind understand. Okay, Chi go with Lucky in arrow-plane.

hoc_085.png

And we've now got two people in the party! Just like a real RPG! Clicking on the portrait on the left switches the active character. There are some things that only Lucky can do, others that only Chi can do.

hoc_086.png

Let's have a look at what Chi is carrying.

hoc_087.png

hoc_088.png

hoc_089.png

hoc_090.png

hoc_091.png

hoc_092.png

Checking with Ho again, he makes a comment.

hoc_137.png

With Chi in tow, let's get back on the road... in the next update.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I playing Rise of the Dragon right now, so I can't follow your LP. I want to play Heart of China myself one day.
:love:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
These conversations were hilarious
Can you see this Gaider? THIS is how you write witty dialog.

I have to say I find HOC's writing to be superior to Rise's. Rise tried to balance serious and lulz, but HOC just goes full high adventure and so doesn't have to worry about balance or mood whiplash. There are some hilarious lines peppered throughout.

anus_pounder said:
GAME OVERS ?!?!?
There will be at least one every update. I expect a couple of them to have 3 or 4. Gonna catch them all!

Fowyr said:
I playing Rise of the Dragon right now, so I can't follow your LP. I want to play Heart of China myself right after I finish Rise.
Fixed it for ya ;)
Do post your thoughts on the games when you finish them.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DAY ONE: HONG KONG, NOW WITH CHI

Now that Chi has joined the party, we head out of the bar with him.

hoc_093.png

Back into the herbalist's.

hoc_094.png

Tlucky.png
Hello, anyone home?

Tbubblewu.png
Why me?

Tlucky.png
She was like this last time, Chi... just pretended to ignore me.

hoc_095.png

Tlucky.png
And there's that jibberish again!

Tchi.png
Not jibberish. Master Wu speak Mandarin. Perhaps, I chat with her briefly.

This is a hint to switch to Chi as the active character before trying to talk to Wu again, so we do just that.

hoc_096.png

Twu.png
Chi, it's good to see you.

Tchi.png
Master Wu, how are you?

Twu.png
I am well, but you... Chi, I am worried.

Tlucky.png
Hey, what are you guys talking about?

Twu.png
You used to have the nicest friends.

Twu.png
So now you go around with a loud-nouth American?

Tchi.png
He is not as bad as he seems.

Tlucky.png
Alright you two, knock off that Mandarin nonsense!

Twu.png
What happened to you, Chi?

Tchi.png
He actually has a good heart. I think he just does not want anyone to know.

Twu.png
Him?

Tchi.png
He is going to rescue Nurse Kate. I am going along to help.

Twu.png
This one is going to need all the help he can get!

Tlucky.png
I am giving you three seconds to start talking American!

Tchi.png
We need some herbs. Will you talk with him? It will make him feel important.

Tchi.png
And otherwise we will have to keep listening to him whine!

Twu.png
Chi tells me you go to rescue Nurse Kate. What can Wu provide for assistance?

We switch back to the obnoxious, loud-mouthed yank Lucky.

hoc_097.png

Tlucky.png
Just out of curiosity, Wu, was the reason you didn't speak American earlier to me...

Tlucky.png
because you recognized who I was and, well, you felt a little nervous about what to say?

Twu.png
No, I was certain about wanting to tell you off but I am just polite.

Twu.png
Yes, that is why.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, I thought you'd recognize me.

Twu.png
So what you need?

Tlucky.png
I guess we need some herbs... uh, I don't know, how about some parsley, oregano...

Tchi.png
No, we need healing herbs.

Tlucky.png
Well, yeah, those too.

Twu.png
Wu not carry parsley or oregano and as for healing herbs, ran out earlier today. Could whip up new batch...

Twu.png
but in need of some sea gull droppings.

Tlucky.png
Sea gull droppings? You've got to be kidding me!

Twu.png
Wu not kid. Sea gull droppings contain mysterious, curative powers. Bring to Wu and she make healing herbs.

Twu.png
So you run along now. Wu very busy.

Mysterious powers my ass. Anyway, we walk back out, only to be confronted by Chi.

hoc_098.png

Tlucky.png
Huh?

Tchi.png
You embarrass Chi in front of old family friend! I say good things about you, and you just stand back there being rude!

Tlucky.png
What are you talking about?! What's gotten into you?!

Tchi.png
Your attitude. Do you not respect people other than yourself?

Tlucky.png
Yeah, I respect other people! Who are you to sound off to me?!

Tchi.png
Have right mind to teach you Ninja lesson.

Tlucky.png
Be my guest!

Tchi.png
Nurse Kate need both our help....

Tchi.png
I am sorry for anger.

Tlucky.png
Yeah.

Tbubblelucky.png
You should be sorry...

Tbubblelucky.png
Chi's right. I got out of hand.

Tlucky.png
Look, I guess I'm sorry, too.

Aaaaaaaanyway, now that we're done with the afterschool special, let's go find some seagulls. There were some on the docks, if you remember.

hoc_099.png

hoc_100.png

Tlucky.png
Come on, birdie, birdie, do your stuff.

Tlucky.png
Have any ideas, Chi?

Tchi.png
I've got a prune.

hoc_101.png

We switch to Chi and use the prune on the seagull, which promptly drops, well, droppings.

hoc_102.png

hoc_103.png

Switching back to Lucky...

Tlucky.png
Oooo! It's still wet.

Tlucky.png
What heroes have to go through! Sheesh!

hoc_104.png

Indeed.

Back to Wu's...

hoc_105.png

Tlucky.png
Yeah, here, it's all yours!

Twu.png
Place in bowl.

Tlucky.png
Oh, come on Wu, you take it.

Twu.png
Must be crazy. Wu never touch goo. Let others do dirty work.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, ha ha, real funny, Wu!

hoc_106.png

Tlucky.png
Ugh, I got it on my hands!

Twu.png
Just wipe on pants, sissy.

Tlucky.png
Sissy?

hoc_107.png

hoc_108.png

Tlucky.png
I don't think so. What else do you sell here?

Twu.png
Chi, are you sure we can trust this one?

Tchi.png
I have decided to trust him.

Tlucky.png
What did you just ask, Chi?

Twu.png
Never mind. I have something you might want.

Twu.png
But keep quiet! Do not mention to anyone. This not legal.

Tlucky.png
Yeah, yeah.

Twu.png
If you betray Wu, you will regret!

Tlucky.png
Got ya, now what is it?

Twu.png
I have fake passport should you need to guard true identity.

hoc_109.png

hoc_110.png

hoc_111.png

We pick the passport off the table, and Lucky examines it.

hoc_112.png

Twu.png
There is a risk, I not deny. But you in risky profession.

Twu.png
If you have to use, maybe they do not check closely or maybe you plead ignorance if caught.

hoc_113.png

Twu.png
Just be careful.

hoc_114.png

This is actually a bad idea, as the preceding lines should've hinted, but for the sake of the LP I will take it anyway.

Twu.png
Have other item that might interest you.

Twu.png
Have map of Li Deng's fortress. Show how to sneak in.

Twu.png
Li Deng not fighting for Chinese people but self. I have trouble with him myself long time ago. He evil person.

Twu.png
Nothing please Wu more than to see Li Deng hurt, but be careful...

Twu.png
If get caught, you not try cut deal and tell who gave map! You understand?!

Tlucky.png
Yeah, I understand! Don't worry. I'm not some canary.

Twu.png
Okay, so you want?

hoc_115.png

Not essential, but why not.

Twu.png
Remember, be careful!

hoc_116.png

hoc_117.png

Twu.png
You question Wu?!

Tlucky.png
Look, I'm in a difficult position here. I'm sorry.

Twu.png
Very well. Wu wish Lucky luck in mighty mission.

Tlucky.png
Thousand thanks, wonderous Wu.

Twu.png
Chi, hope to see you soon. Wu wish well.

Tchi.png
Goodbye, Master Wu.

hoc_118.png

hoc_119.png

Tlucky.png
Hey, no fair!

Now let's look at all the things we recently acquired...

hoc_120.png

hoc_121.png

hoc_122.png

The map is basically telling you about an alternative route once you get to Chengdu. I'll be showing both approaches when we get there.

hoc_123.png

Now that we have everything we can finally leave Hong Kong.

hoc_124.png

But first, we get to meet the infamous immigration officer (which, in case you're wondering, doesn't stop you if Chi isn't with you)

hoc_125.png

The sharp-eyed will recognize Kevin Ryan, Dynamix co-owner and Father Brown in the David Wolf LP.

Tlucky.png
Identification?

timmigration.png
That IS what I said.

Tlucky.png
Relax, I just wanted to make sure. So what do you need my I.D. for?

timmigration.png
Produce identification immediately, or I shall be forced to arrest you!

Tlucky.png
Are you kidding?

timmigration.png
I shall not ask again.

Tlucky.png
Great, I'll see ya later.

timmigration.png
In the name of his Imperial Majesty, I, Sir James Ashberry, do hereby...

If your proud American patriotism was getting butthurt at the way stereotypical yanks are portrayed in Lucky, you get your revenge with the stereotypical English snob.

hoc_138.png

Hey, it is what we got the passport for, right? Let's show it to him and waltz through!

hoc_139.png

timmigration.png
In the name of his Imperial Majesty, I, Sir James Ashberry, do hereby place you under arrest.

or maybe not.

Tlucky.png
What?! What did I do?

timmigration.png
Perhaps the better question is what did you not do.

timmigration.png
Hun Fa Lo, you are wanted on numerous felony counts... including MURDER ONE!

Tlucky.png
That's not me, I swear! I'm not Hun Fa Lo. I bought the I.D. from this herbalist. Wu.

timmigration.png
Humph! Likely story.

Tlucky.png
I'm telling you the truth!!! I SWEAR!!! For crying in the beer, just take a look at the picture! Do I look like that?

timmigration.png
No, but you criminal types are very clever. If you are not Hun Fa Lo, then you are probably some other wanton wretch.

timmigration.png
The use of a fake passport itself is punishable up to 20 years in prison.

Tlucky.png
You've got to be kidding me?!!!

timmigration.png
I, Sir James Ashberry, never kid!

You don't say.

Tlucky.png
Okay, look, I was ignorant. I didn't know any better. Come on, Jimmy, baby, give me a break.

timmigration.png
Ignorance of the law is never an excuse!

Tlucky.png
Chi, don't just stand there! Say something!

Tchi.png
You not listen to Wu. Then you betray. Chi have nothing more to say.

timmigration.png
YOU are coming with ME!

hoc_140.png

hoc_theend2.png

We reload the game and talk to Sir James Ashberry again. Since Lucky's passport went down with the sampan, there's no way out other than bluffing.

hoc_141.png

timmigration.png
Humph! Likely story. And what is your name, MAY I ask?

Tlucky.png
JAKE MASTERS. "Lucky." You know, Great War flying ace... successful businessman? So I guess I'll be going now...

timmigration.png
I think not, sir!

Tlucky.png
Why not? Surely, you recognize the name... the kind of clout I carry?

timmigration.png
New.

Tlucky.png
New? What's that?

timmigration.png
New, I do not recognize the name.

Tlucky.png
WHAT?!

timmigration.png
New. N.. O.. NEW! Understand, you cretinous rogue?!

Tlucky.png
Yeah, you need some diction lessons! N.. O.. that's NO!

timmigration.png
NEW!!

Tlucky.png
NO!!

timmigration.png
NEW!!!

Tlucky.png
NEW!!!

timmigration.png
NO, I SAY!!!! Now get on board your bloody plane, before you give me a migraine!

Tlucky.png
Yeah, sure, whatever you say.

Tbubblelucky.png
Works everytime!

hoc_142.png

On the plane we pick up a few useful items.

hoc_143.png

hoc_144.png

hoc_145.png

As Lucky and Chi get into the cockpit, events are unfolding elsewhere...

hoc_meanwhile1.png

hoc_meanwhile2.png

hoc_146.png

hoc_147.png

And we're off!

lightbane

Arcane
I like how everyone makes fun of the Amerikwan protagonist (with a reason though, he seems to be stupid and gullible) :lol: :lol:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Sceptic said:
Do post your thoughts on the games when you finish them.
Rise is the cool little adventure game. Atmospheric and have a ton of good jokes. Puzzles was pretty easy, except puzzles related to wires. As man who uses tester regularly since he was a kid, I was fully :roll: after solving vidphone puzzle. Second wire puzzle in the end of the game was :roll: too. And it take me hour to save the girl :lol:
Arcade sequences was somewhat lame, but strangely relaxing.

Crooked Bee said:
I wonder how this practice was called in English. In Russian it was "зашанхаить", derived from the city name Shanghai.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
lightbane said:
I like how everyone makes fun of the Amerikwan protagonist (with a reason though, he seems to be stupid and gullible)
It's not that he's stupid and gullible, it's that he's so bloody arrogant and self-centered. AND he thinks "American" is a language :rpgcodex:

Crooked Bee said:
What's wrong Crooked Bee? Are you having the same problem Wyrmlord had? Humor too subtle/subdued for you? ;)

leonwaterloo said:
You forgot to right-click check the pillar with the chinese characters in the bar. ;)
hoc_344.png

Thanks for de-lurking and reminding me :salute:

Fowyr said:
Rise is the cool little adventure game. Atmospheric and have a ton of good jokes. Puzzles was pretty easy, except puzzles related to wires.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Yeah the wiretap puzzle was crazy. Though you're maybe the only person I know who went :roll: instead of raging ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom