Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play ironman Cataclysm (roguelike)

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

SerratedBiz

Arcane
That's some intense shit, man. I'd wait a little longer to make sure whatever's outside drifts into the sunset before you scavenge the station for, hopefully, ammo and guns.

Lindblum

Augur
Fungaloids are bad news, you want to run if you aggro any.

You've waited long enough, any longer will be a waste of time. Run!

Didn't you find some weed? Drugs are good in this game.

InsanityForce

Educated
I have no opinion about whether you should wait longer or not, but I think you should heal up and get a better melee weapon. And train your melee fighting skill when you can.

EmoBunny

Savant
You need melee in this game. Firearms make noise and alert all the zombies around you; they are a last resort only. Whenever confronted by enemies wait in a secluded area till they leave (like now; wait a long time), if you can't get to one, simply try to outrun them until you can find a place to lose them.

Multi-headed Cow

As mentioned in the first post, this is only my second or third time playing Cataclysm. Played enough to come to grips with the controls, but for gameplay strategy and finesse I'm pulling it out of my ass. Apart from that no NPCs thing, I did read that when I glanced at the forum for the game. Kinda looks like I've fucked Cleve with my lack of skill, but this is a learning experience and shows off the game, so what the hell.
And waiting wins the vote, so Cleve shall wait!

TKVXE.png

Cleve eats some strawberries and waits one more hour. Surely the zombies have left by now. He hasn't heard any robots shouting either. IS IT SAFE?

xcnTJ.png

Nope nope NOPE NOPE NOPE.

Bzu6b.png

Shouldn't have run back to the storage room, should've run toward the back room. Crapping it all up damn DAMN. ADVANCE CLEVE, ADVANCE AND FIGHT TOWARD THE EXIT.
Shot 1, headshot for 92 damage! Cleve kills a zombie, and his pistols skill advances to level 1! A second zombie moves up.
Shot 2, 24 damage to zombie. Zombie moves and blocks the hallway.
Shot 3, 15 damage to zombie. It's now severely injured.
Shot 4, critical, zombie dead! Cleve runs for the back door.

GCQYd.png

Well, apparently eyebots don't give a shit about zombies. So much for that daring plan. Cleve runs west!

ep9rd.png

The eyebot takes Cleve's picture, and shortly thereafter this shows up blaring a siren and saying "CITIZEN, HALT!". Looks like we know what was at the other police station. It's listed as hostile, so it looks like Cleve's a bit boned. He'll attempt to outrun it but I don't know if that's possible.

R7SYp.png

It's not! OH GOD IT'S NOT. Well Cleve, time to fuck the police.
Shot 1, critical for 29 damage to the copbot.
Shot 2, 11 damage.
Shot 3, critical for 27 damage.
Shot 4, 9 damage.
Shot 5, headshot and the copbot is slain! A skeleton has been clawing at Cleve, but maybe he can outrun THAT!

YIWiO.png

As it turns out, he can't! Pistol and steak knife seem like bad ideas for fighting a skeleton, use your mighty fists, Cleve! Unfortunately, the wield command doesn't put a weapon down if it's already equipped, and the "Take off" command doesn't work. Uh... Ok, equip steak knife and have at that skeleton!

c85QN.png

The horde closes in as the skeleton tears Cleve out of his clothing. ITZ happening! Apply Vaseline to anus, Cleve! Your predictions are coming true!

2gRmJ.png

And the greatest indignity of it all, the eyebots taking pictures as Cleve is torn to shreds. Not sending robotic help, just watching. WATCHING.

3y1JE.png

VPSYM.png

Welp. So ends the adventure of Cleve. He ate a few apples and a few strawberries and fired a gun he was lucky enough to find, and was swarmed by the undead. As far as I can tell the moral of the story is don't use firearms in the cataclysm. Either that or don't check out towns since they're PACKED WITH UNSPEAKABLE HORRORS.
Hope you bros enjoyed a quick look at this game even though I'm quite terrible at it. This has more depth than Rogue Survivor, but I have to say I kinda prefer Rogue Survivor's simpler gameplay and greater focus on "Sandbox apocalypse" gameplay. This is a bit more like a normal harsh roguelike, RS is a bit more about playing with/against/around the NPC survivors and doing whatever, whether your goal is to hit the "Story beats" or just see how long you can survive.

Meaningless LP stats time!
The LP was approximately 5,200 words long.
The LP was approximately 66 images long.
The first image of the LP was viewed 113 times and used 1.3 megs of bandwidth, according to IMGUR.
The total bandwidth used by this point for the images of the LP was 60 megs.

TripJack

Hedonist
:hug:Good job cowkun. This game is a bit too brutal for an ironman LP though. Perhaps I'll pick up the slack and continue in another LP? Hmm...

As far as I can tell the moral of the story is don't use firearms in the cataclysm.
P much. Melee is more practical against a lot of the weaker stuff (and maybe stronger stuff too i don't know). At least until you get a good hoard of ammo and a certain something :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

Not sure it ever will, and if it does it'll probably be quite a while down the road. Still seems to be in fairly heavy development.

kentable

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Urgh, I'm trying this out now but I'm seeing on the forums that there is a save game bug that wipes your location/item data on loading. :rage:

So that means after this gets patched in vanilla I'll have to wait for tiles support to update and the other mods.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
This looks pretty awesome. Might give it a go some day if I find the time. But do continue, good sir!:salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom