Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play ironman Rogue Survivor

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
this game is great.

staying in hiding is certain death.

taking your chances outside is slightly less certain death. Go outside and hunt.

Also, where can I safely get this game? Ah, I misssed the link at the top.

Running Fox

Educated
Queued
What gametype are you using for this LP, MHD?
Syncing everything? If yes, food could become an issue early on when the other agent already ate everything on the other maps.

Played version 3 and 5. Gets boring after a while.
Agile, light eater, wake, firearms were my best friends. In that order.

Phelot

Arcane
I'd kill more people for food.

Also, LOL at having to walk through a bear trap. You can't use that shovel on it?

Multi-headed Cow

What gametype are you using for this LP, MHD?

Syncing everything? If yes, food could become an issue early on when the other agent already ate everything on the other maps.
This is on C&I, so we get the infection system as well as evolving zombies. And sync/sim is all turned on, so as time is advancing for us people in all the other districts are looting and eating. And just the one reincarnate, so once Cherie dies it'll be a new city.

Looks like 4 votes move out of the district, 2 stay and hunt. Cherie decides it's time to move on to greener pastures, and she'll head for district B0 in the hopes that there's an un-looted grocery store.

wYVPU.jpg

Just as she starts taking a barricade down to leave the building, she hears the roar of motorcycles coming from the east. Know those machete wielding rape gangs as previously mentioned? They're here now. Although the possibility exists that in the fighting between all the cops, survivors, and raiders there might be some dead bodies with food, this also increases the danger. Cherie sticks with the plan and leaves to the west.

EB701A9DDD53D3DB605639DEA9153B883786CAE4

That is, until she takes the barricade down and finds a skeleton just outside the window! KEEP IT TOGETHER CHERIE, YOU CAN DO THIS. Cherie runs back into the safehouse and readies her crossbow. Skeletons are fragile enough that a good crossbow bolt or two should knock it to pieces. And sure enough it does. She continues hearing screams just outside the window. Either the bikers are moving faster than anticipated, or there's another undead out there.

5A66CA9755D1672FEC0E34A29BB41822677AF2B3

Can't a murdering zombocalypse survivor get a break? Cherie knocks the barricade off the window to the west and steps outside, only to find the skeleton has chased the cop around this side.

CAA4D5EC612D405BB05D933C150E267E0B5E1752

Cherie knows the plan was to leave the district, but... This skeleton has done most of the work for her already. The cop is exhausted and almost dead and carrying 2 cans of precious food. She steps back and shoots the skeleton with her crossbow. You're next, Indy McGready!

E334FFAA0E810E178CA29ACD7CC4F2C37C0D55C2

WELL GOD DAMN. Now Cherie knows why Indy didn't run to the right with a skeleton on his left. A zombie of a previous survivor is slightly tougher than a generic shuffler. Even though this one's damaged, Cherie's not sure she wants to fire more of her 17 remaining bolts at it. She runs to district B0 just as the zombie breaks off from the cop and starts shambling after her.

ECBDD2DD172B50F576104175CE65B86B93A5C55C

There's a greeting party at the shopping district, but nothing Cherie can't handle. One more crossbow bolt gone to buy her some time. She flips her flashlight on and begins looking for food. She kills two more skeletons after only advancing two squares. Was this the right choice? The undead seem thicker here. She checks her bow, 14 bolts now.
Moving down the street she encounters two more skeletons and thunks them to death. 12 bolts!

129B4E0A473C28C576523462788427D6E539C69F

The building she was following was a pharmacy, apparently. Although food is her first priority and a safe place to sleep her second, the possibility of finding bandages or first aid makes this worth investigating. Plus there's the possibility of finding caffeine pills (Blue pills) which fill the sleep bar when used. Besides, this dead survivor in the doorway has more crossbow bolts, a truncheon to replace her improvised club, and possibly the bear traps to help make a safe place to sleep. The green pills give a boost to stamina, which are of questionable use. If you're tired and zombies are bearing down on you, do you want to take the time to pop some pills?
Cherie moves toward the body. Yet another skeleton appears and is crossbowed. The body is of Raquel McGready. Cherie idly wonders if Indy was headed in this direction to meet up with family before he was overrun. Not that it looks like it would've made a difference to Raquel here. As Cherie takes the crossbow bolts, drops her club, takes the truncheon and both bear traps the sun starts to rise. Her options to level up are Awake rank 2 (Increased max sleep, sleeping is more restful/fills the bar faster), Hardy rank 1 (Sleep heals even if you're not on a bed, 1% chance to heal), Unsuspicious rank 1 (15% chance to go unnoticed to law enforcement and gangs), Tough rank 2 (+6 max HP), and Leadership 1 (1 max follower). Cherie is a loner at heart and doesn't take leadership, and her police jacket is working to keep unwanted attention off her. Hardy would be useful since she likely will have to sleep in this district and finding a bed is unlikely, but finding medicine is possible to take care of her health. Cherie takes a second rank of awake.
Although the pharmacy has been picked over a bit, it still has useful goods. Cherie finds a medikit and heals herself up to 16HP, and 14 blue pills which she begins to eat to keep herself awake when she finds a shambler has discovered her.

C66A146221898E394E214B195CC25D42A282BA61

She dropped one of her bear traps so she could grab the pills, but she decides to activate and drop her second one one square up, in the hopes that the zombie will walk on it and save her a crossbow bolt or two. Unfortunately the zombie moves with more nimble grace than Donovan Ford ever did and avoids the bear trap. Cherie scramble backward, firing crossbow bolts.
After kiting the slow zombie around the store a little, Cherie finally kills it. She reloads her crossbow, 20 bolts prepared, 14 in reserve.
No longer bothered by the undead, Cherie grabs enough medkits and blue pills to completely fill her sleep and HP bars. If only she had some food! The blue spray bottles on the shelves are "Stenchkillers". If you want to keep zombies from following your scent, spray a can of Lysol wildly in the air!

6A5EF440DFC5F558947B3A9D7956659E542E2BA2

On her way out of the pharmacy, she finds that it has a basement. It seems unlikely that there would be food down there, but stranger things have happened. What do you think, Codex? Continue exploring the shopping district for food, or check out the pharmacy's basement? Or be weird and try heading back to the previous district and see if some obliging undead have murdered Indy and left his cans of food sitting unattended and un-looted by the raiders?

Basement because I expect we'll find goodies there (plus it can serve as a base) then explore this block some more. It's tempting to go back to McGready's body, but there was a rape gang fucking shit up nearby so it's best to get away from them.

desocupado

Magister
Go search for food, a safe place and goodies are no good if you're dead because of starvation.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
So played for a bit... enjoyed it quite a bit. Died a lot of course, though I did survive to day 7+ as a cop.

How do you disarm traps?! I can see them, my avatar in the game can see them, but I can't get past them.

I had one character where I was building a stash in the police armory. I had tons of canned food and ammo all stocked up. I left to get get some planks, cam back and there was some dude sleeping where my stash was with a ton of empty cans all around...

Needless to say my character had to take care of business and avenge the loss of all my canned food but dang this game is neat. I wish there was some more depth to it, but it is fun to make the narrative in my head.

EDIT: Also I guess you can't use bows or guns without the skill? I reincarnated as a biker once and I could not seem to use the bow.

Multi-headed Cow

How do you disarm traps?! I can see them, my avatar in the game can see them, but I can't get past them.
As far as I know, you just have to walk over them and take your chances. I didn't think to try it at the time with Donovan but you could definitely try k (Which is bash/smash furniture) and see if that lets you trigger them. Fairly sure the only way to avoid traps currently is going around, though.
And damned disappointing to hear about your stash. The game could use more depth in everything involved, but even at this early point I find it puts out a ton of entertaining desperate moments. And it's a nice sandbox to mess around in, seeing how the survivors and zombies play each time.
EDIT: Also I guess you can't use bows or guns without the skill? I reincarnated as a biker once and I could not seem to use the bow.
You can use bows and guns without the skill, maybe the bow was out of ammo? Should let you equip it with a single left click on the item in your inventory. The weapon skills just give a bonus to hit and damage but don't limit what you can use. Unless bikers get certain rules that others don't, which I guess is possible. I've never reincarnated as one.

3 votes basement, 1 continue search for food. Basement it is!

5F5BBFE7802A38DF3BDB399DD714E5FCF8E34DE8

Unfortunately all Cherie finds are a bunch of zombie rats (Which nibble away a few HP) and a few shelves with the same kinds of medicine found upstairs. Cherie turns her flashlight off and returns to the streets.
Though she hasn't found any more undead, she comes across 6 corpses, none of which have food, and a living woman named Page Jones. Since Page has a pistol, hunting rifle, and 34HP Cherie doesn't bother her for her bag of groceries. The building immediately to the left of the pharmacy is seemingly a gun store, Cherie passes it by for now. Her crossbow should be sufficient, at least until she's well fed.
The building above the pharmacy is a sporting goods store. A dead policeman lies in the doorway, and a badly injured woman with a can of food sleeps just inside. Unfortunately for Cherie, the woman is guarded by Georges Irvin, who has a hunting rifle and full HP. Cherie moves on, glancing at an empty shotgun and baseball bat lying in the road.

FE875CCFC1962A6A861B9862195EBE390DEC9647

What's that, to the left!? IT'S THE SIGN OF A GROCERY STORE! COULD HOPE BE IN SIGHT!? Cherie barely even notices the dead woman in the street as she runs toward the food!
Empty. The grocery store is completely empty, save for two empty cans lying in the aisles and a single truncheon. Cherie is crushed but moves on.

96C85A0685160E9654F3444F8BD057042BF9F985

Play it cool, play it cool. The cops won't attack if you play it cool.

254DF577B1AB343E86D6AFFF7C21219B4CF32BCD

Cherie overhears Johnny McAllister telling Veronica Rogers that he heard motorcycles coming from the south. Perhaps that's where all the dead bodies came from? Either dead bikers, or the people they killed. Cherie heads south to shopping district B1. Maybe there's a better stocked grocery store there.

91297FAFB18B4EA426CCC7C0E9A7FE0F3DC9E8D1

The first building Cherie finds is a pharmacy. She presses on, safe in the knowledge that there won't be food. Just down the street however she finds this. Elton Sanchez is entirely out of ammo and carrying 2 cans of food. He's protecting Tifany Brown just to his left, who has a single can of food. They're both low on HP. Just to complicate things, a zombie gets up off the ground. Cherie will have to handle this carefully, but she MUST HAVE THAT FOOD.
Cherie goes down the road with the survivors. Tifany manages to punch the zombie a few times without being hit, while Elton keeps his distance. Finally Cherie feels the moment has come to strike.

4AB160DE37EA1DAA9E1A8A38B51D6B3CAA5542B5

Cherie misses her first shot at Elton. Elton jumps on the upper wrecked car and misses Cherie. Tifany and the zombie both advance one space. Elton also yells in to his radio for all district police to keep an eye out for Cherie. Seems unlikely any more police in the area will let her pass by unnoticed.
Cherie shoots Elton for 13 damage. Tifany and the zombie advance again, Tifany just to the left of Elton, the zombie one left one down from Tifany.
Cherie shoots and kills Elton Sanchez! Tifany and the zombie scuffle. Tifany decides to stop being hostile to Cherie.
Cherie moves back and fires at the zombie for a few rounds of combat while it's distracted with Tifany, who lands the killing punch. And before Tifany has time to know what's going on...

7A31F05E2DF9C1D43A5C2C0D880B1A937DDAB218

Cherie strikes again!

4E37FA3A7C662B4AA8F84261C913F6E2482D3C82

Unfortunately it looks like Elton spitefully ate a can of food before dying, as Cherie only gets two cans. Tifany was carrying an expired sack of groceries, though. It's worth 316 food points, but may cause sickness and vomiting. The cans of food are only worth 158 each, so those groceries are a lot of food in this dire situation. They won't do much good if they make Cherie sick and she vomits what little food she has. What do, Codex? Eat the canned food and move on, hoping for a grocery store? Or take the chance and eat the cans AND groceries. Even with both cans and the expired groceries Cherie won't be past the hungry point on her food bar and will have to keep looking for stationary or walking food.

Multi-headed Cow

No idea. I've never had a character hit 0 foodpoints, something always kills me before then. I wouldn't be surprised if 0 is instant death though, since once you get half way and enter the hungry stage you can't really sleep due to hunger.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
No idea. I've never had a character hit 0 foodpoints, something always kills me before then. I wouldn't be surprised if 0 is instant death though, since once you get half way and enter the hungry stage you can't really sleep due to hunger.

It won't kill you right away. I got down to zero food and zero sleep. I was passing out and getting sick. I found a can of food and before I could eat it, some dude killed me for it.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Groceries. You need all you can get.

You can stay at 0 food for a period of time. There is a roll each turn to see if you die, so you could theoretically last for some time.

Multi-headed Cow

Cheriework Knight wisely decides to eat the expired groceries first, hanging on to the canned food to see if she gets sick. She then creeps to the left to pick up some crossbow bolts she saw on a corpse.

4F1A0A223C2AB91263672BE4C495E2DD626FD251

It appears a fresh zombie is tracking her. Tifany had a can of Lysol, so Cherie goes back and picks it up and sprays it. The zombie finally notices her and begins lurching in pursuit. Why the zombie didn't actually see her until now is a mystery. Cherie casually heads south.

DD4A7035B527AF8F7CFC6492DA14626E4475827C

Ruth Bradley is pretty well stocked. A hunting rifle with a bunch of ammo and two bags of groceries. Perhaps Cherie can get the zombie following her to attack Ruth and use the distraction to strike. Cherie keeps as much distance between herself and the zombie as possible and circles around, as Ruth and the zombie head up the road Cherie just came from. Ruth is running and firing, but through a combination of missed shots and weapon jams she has yet to hit the 2HP zombie following her.

A01E8134A1AEA0C5648CC299BBC079517034B92F

Ruth is down to 16HP at this point, Helenazombie is up to 7HP after taking a bite out of Ruth, and Peterzombie is at his full 60HP. Ruth's stamina is also used up, so she can no longer run and climb over/onto cars. She's also extremely sleepy, the overall impact of being tired and sleepy being she's moving at 0.44 speed, while the zombies are moving at 0.66 speed, and the fairly well rested Cherie is moving at 1 speed.
Cherie stands in the road and waits. Sure enough, Ruth wheezes down the road a bit before the zombies take her down. Helenazombie is at 17HP by the end. This does her little good when Cherie kills her with a single crossbow bolt to the head. In the end she uses 7 bolts to take down both zombies.

32CC658638124719E6F8F63E52824F59A12A1D4C

Yessssssssss. Two unspoiled bags of groceries. Cherie also decides to take the hunting rifle and ammo. Although she's skilled in bows, the hunting rifle is as accurate as her crossbow, more damaging, and much longer ranged.

E3C678EAD3B6C2F5FF445DAF08F6277882E35FAE

Well fed, with a gun, two cans of food in reserve, and Cherie knows the location of a well stocked pharmacy assuming there isn't one in this district. Cherie has the will to survive unlike poor Donovan! Cherie is intrigued by a house to the southeast, and wanders over to investigate.

1F1F85D87DCA0EB864F05BED568DDDD4F5EF24E1

Good god! A starving policeman is hiding inside. From the corpse in the room and all the empty cans, it looks like he was holed up in here with someone until they ran out of food. Cherie instinctively swings a punch at him before realizing what's going on. Cherie runs backward to buy herself some range, and takes aim. Her first shot misses, but the next two take him down. Ryan Bent is no more! Outside the broken window Cherie sees another dead survivor and a dead biker. Seems like the bikers are turning up everywhere now. Fortunately Ryan the cop didn't see the pistol ammo lying in the street and wasn't able to load his gun.

32F00D8ACF93D597751F398930B36E85284F2859

Cherie notices 4 bodies piled up in the entrance of a store, and a survivor named Elie Steward standing nearby. His only valuable item for Cherie would be his expired groceries, which may be worth killing him for. He has no ranged weapon, and since Cherie has a hunting rifle and can see more rifle ammo on the bodies scattered around, the ammo cost wouldn't be an issue. Should Cherie kill Elie for the food? And if not/if so, what should her current plan be after dealing with Elie? Keep moving and exploring randomly? Explore a certain location (Hospital, police station to see if anything of value is left (Donovan's riot armor in the basement?), the overheard location of the underground CHAR facility)? Should she try to make a safehouse? Choose wisely Codex. Things only get more difficult as time passes in the zombie apocalypse.

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Ignore him. Now that you are more full, you have a lot more to lose with bad groceries.

You might as well go to the CHAR facility. Shit will hit the fan eventually. You might as well die with a purpose.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Search for more grocery stores if you want to survive. Char facility has guards. They have killed me more than any other creature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom