Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play ironman Rogue Survivor

Lindblum

Augur
Turn it on.

I mean whats the worst that could happen to a Murderer?
A meat shield with a shotgun could really save you some trouble in the future.

Did Cherie already explore all the rooms? There could be something useful (like armor) in them if shit happens. If so, turn the generators on.

Best case, they just turn on the lights.

Worst case, more undeads will appear but Cherie is in great condition.

Phelot

Arcane
I vote turn it on, though one wonders if it was turned off in hopes of containing even greater evils!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This is a damn creepy game. Any attempts at forming a party and trying to survive together end up in disasters, while the runs where I simply try to find a good weapon and then go around from house to house, killing sleeping people with food and trapping other survivors with zombies so I can loot their remains. Very rarely I get wiped out by the undead.

Edit: Dear diary, day 14.

Master level zombies are hard to kill when you didn't get any damage increasing skills.

'cept with grenades.

Dear diary, you know what happens when you throw a grenade in a dark cellar that apparently happened to be filled with neat piles of grenades a few tiles apart?

chernobog

Novice
Turn on the generators. They will probably open some doors you won't be able to get through otherwise. That's how it worked in the subways at least.

Multi-headed Cow

This could be what you came here for in the first place Cherie! Throw the switches, turn the generators on!

46773E1E997FAA15AFE0432340C43AE4F09C6574

Cherie turns all the generators in the room on and looks at the gauge. 31%? There must be more generators in the facility. Doesn't look like anything's happened at 31% power. Cherie decides to head west, if her hastily scribbled map is any indication, it looks like these generators are in a corner of the facility. Perhaps there are generators in the other corners?
Cherie replaces her current flashlight with 8 hours of battery life left with a fully charged big flashlight, also with 8. A big flashlight gives 2 extra squares of FOV, but has 8 hours of use fully charged as opposed to 24 hours of a regular flashlight. Since flashlights are so common down here Cherie figures what the hell.
While entering the third room in her trek west (Almost every room having an entrance to the south, east, and west) Cherie encounters another red skeleton and shoots it.

8752243D63C442CACBF96768C797266BA5314E50

In the room after, a red skeleton charges out of the shadows and claws Cherie for 5 damage before she can react. Damn those fast skeletons! As soon as she shoots this new skeleton, a zombie prince appears. Yes, a multi-headed dickbeast of the sort Cherie escaped from in the police station. At 240HP Cherie is not sure she wants to use more of her limited ammunition on it. With 22 shots remaining in her hunting rifle she should make them count. However, what about all this barbed wire and these caltrops lying around? Cherie has AN IDEA.
Cherie runs back the way she came to put some distance between her and the zombie prince, and drops some of her cans of food in the doorway for inventory space. She then scoops up some caltrops and scatters them on the ground, and continues picking up as many zombie traps as she can.

D9811DB1FC4698D0666E64FF720CB6B27FCB2B12

Unfortunately for Cherie, the zombie prince once again proves how nimble the undead really are and avoids every trap, just as a dark shambler joins the party. Fuck fuck fuck, conserve your ammo! Cherie runs back to the generators and takes a nasty bite from the zombie prince, dealing 13 damage and giving her 14 infection. Cherie uses her medkit and heals up to 24HP and reduces her infection to 10. Her current plan is to circle around back to the entrance and the stairs, move over to grab the food she dropped, then resume heading west to look for generators.

B3356659A873F8789A7856BD6D890642DA3093ED

Oh FUCK! On the way to the exit Cherie nearly runs in to a second zombie prince.

75A973EBA2C875A05B6FB06E819FDD25B062FA64

OH FUCK! Cherie dodges the second zombie prince and discovers A THIRD ONE!

7F128982299B2047487AB993F3C9C072C5817DE9

Cherie runs up the stairs and pants to catch her breath. What should she do? Head back down in her current state, and continue with her plan to recover the food and start the generators (Although I'd be sure to check the other rooms in the office here for more medkits)? Stay up here long enough to eat and sleep and possibly replace her hunting rifle with a shotgun for more ammo (But far more limited range)?
Don't know if those princes were due to turning the generators on or if Cherie was just lucky in her initial pass. This is a fairly short update, but I'll probably try to knock a second update out later tonight.

pipka

Savant
Well. That was expected.
Since exploring the dungeon is a guaranteed suicide at this point, explore other sectors and level up a bit, scavenge some grenades, come back with vengeance...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I say pick up a shotgun and use it while you're down there. Zombies are only dangerous up close anyways, and you keep getting in close quarters with them because you're indoors. You've got more room now anyways, you could even carry both for now.

I wouldn't bother trying to level up further. Rest for hp sure, but the longer you wait the stronger the zombies get right? And that's what fucked you up down there. Unless you can pick up some army gear (I'm assuming it's better than a hunting rifle) it's not going to be any easier going down there because you have another level of Awake or whatever.

Dim

Not sure if advertising plant?
Aggro train is the solution! Get them princes to follow you into an army regiment or better yet some gangs.

Lindblum

Augur
There is no point in pointless defeat, RETREAT!

Come back when you've got a gang. Use your ammo for murdering scavenging.

Multi-headed Cow

Two votes available as I begin writing this (Sorry Dim and Lindblum bros), and they're not mutually exclusive. Cherie decides she'll check out the rest of this office building for supplies, replace her hunting rifle with a shotgun and as many shells as she can carry, and take a nap before going back to the facility. Cherie scarfs down 3 cans of food, loads that single extra hunting rifle bullet in to her rifle, and picks up 3 boxes of shotgun shells and steps outside.
Cherie can hear screams of terror from the east, but heads to the north for now. With no decent bed to sleep on, the only way she'll be able to heal is with medkits.

C67992BD50A76F38D847AB30A7A4555CADD60B1F

Cherie, loaded up with a shotgun (5 shells in it), 40 reserve shells, and an extra medkit after using one to bring herself to full health. Before barricading herself and preparing to sleep, she decides she better check out the rest of the offices and find out if that screaming was in the building or not.

62FCB1E82F4E3340AD0632A953D9DF9C7DB10E3D

Near the end of her search, Cherie finds 4 more cans of food, another medkit, and... 5 grenades! She quickly replaces one box of shotgun shells with the grenades, which sound like just what the multi-headed dicks called for. As she does this, motorcycles roar in from the east. MORE raiders? This is getting out of hand!

3D5C32A5BB912B100E24F7D1D466EF86648EBF94

As she steps outside the room to investigate the final part of the building, Cherie sees a zombie Prince wandering down the hall toward her. Did it follow her up from the stairs, or did it wander in from outside? Whatever the case, Cherie has to take care of it. Cherie decides on using her shotgun while she's upstairs and more shells are plentiful. Best to hang on to her grenades when down below.
Cherie quickly runs past the zombie back in to the room she just came from, and fires a blast at it. The shotgun is less effective at two squares away than in melee, but Cherie has seen what a zombie prince can do and would rather avoid it.

27882805C2E8F2EF55ED6BF8DB2BDABA847BFA9C

Uh oh. While backpedaling and pumping shot after shot in to the prince, a second begins to enter the room. Cherie briefly considers using a grenade, but in close quarters like this, and with the first prince nearly dead, she decides against it. She finishes the damaged prince off, and begins kiting the full health one back down the hallway.

5446D8500CB2DB2A846905E3DA865A3D1408C922

Fuck! FUCK! FUCKFUCKFUCK. Total ammo remaining: 16 shells. Cherie runs for the upper room, which has more space to kite zombies, and finishes the most damaged prince in short order.

8AE0CB07DFBC128211A6B7592620C38AACACD9B5

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. Total ammo remaining: 11 shells. FUCK YOU ZOMBIES, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. She takes down the prince and shambler

2DC9B287AFBC67CFB3F4CBB84950F1EC3FF0B3C6

FUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU. Total ammo remaining: 4 shells. Cherie decides it's time to lure the zombie to the side of the room, then bolt past it and make a run for more ammo. The run rises as Cherie waits, and she gains a point of necrology.

8C1C278A7C81FB70EA1612DB6EAD26BC5F11E39B

FUCK FUCK FUCKIN' ZOMBIE FUCKIN' FUCKS.

E843BDEAB37C4456B83142274AB4573C6D8E3BB8

ASS. ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Cherie gets winded while running down the hall, and is slowed to speed 0.66, just barely faster than the zombies' 0.50. She pulls a grenade out and lobs it one square to her left and dives for the doorway.

53F1F1BA13ED01EB15CF89789B52BA542B799BA8

The grenade goes off and damages at least the front zombie. She scrambles over the chair and to the shotgun shells she left when grabbing the grenade just as the front shambler lurches for the doorway. She puts two shells in to it before it drops. She reloads her shotgun and moves in a slightly better firing position for the doorway.

JqR5g.jpg

That's great, IF ONLY THEY WEREN'T ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DISTRICT! Cherie hucks a grenade at the shambler and starts firing. 4 shots and she brings the zombie down. She cautiously advances until she can see the prince, and lobs a grenade directly on to it when it enters the doorway.

C59887AF84054F560A51B37BAA7281EA5FA8C98A

Total ammo remaining: 8 shells, 2 grenades. Cherie begins firing and backing up, in 4 shots she gets the zombie prince down to 2HP, and finishes it with a smack of her shotgun. She steps back up and finds a dark shambler entering the room. She uses a precious grenade which damages it for 60HP, and starts firing her few remaining shells. The final shell in the shotgun kills the dark shambler, just as another moves up to take its place.

E7F769414B8EA50BDF2631978E491FDB7A9D4B11

Total ammo remaining: 0 shells, 1 grenade. Cherie's only hope is to run past the zombie, hope the hallway is clear, and make a dash for more shotgun shells. She'll soon be sleepy which will slow her down and her advantage of speed will be lessened.

D519643CFAB77F1A53659F1442CCB15A815DA3B4

Success! The hallway was clear, and she was barely able to avoid the shambler! She picks up the stamina pills in the hall which may be useful in a pinch in desperate times like these, and runs to the room with the most shells in it. Total ammo remaining: 19 shells, 1 grenade. She stands in the room, waiting for the shambler to appear.

A6E66CDCDEC12424EE0BA7E77487E8D39568D7EA

That's... Not the shambler. At least Cherie now knows where the undead are coming from. CHANGE OF PLAN, if she can take out this prince and the shambler, she will barricade the iron door as much as possible in the hopes she can get some time to breathe. Cherie times her throw so it lands right in the hallway as the prince enters it.

7C9241DE0E646FF9BC9899A9CAFA5E1BA4DBD5BF

Another shambler coming up from the basement. FUCK ZOMBIES. FUCK ALL ZOMBIES. Cherie destroys the prince and shambler, and picks up the remaining box of shells in the room. Total ammo remaining: 19 shells. She also grabs some planks of wood and begins moving toward the iron door.

638BE3409544D7CCEB0B17953DA85AF568E700EC

One fully barricaded iron door. Unfortunately Cherie knows there's more shotgun ammo in that room, but she wasn't willing to take the risk picking it up when she had a chance to barricade the door. Whew.

ALRIGHT CODEX, time to guide Cherie. At this point she's still reasonably well fed and has 3 cans of food on hand, and there may be more shotgun shells in the other explored rooms to her left, and MOST LIKELY more shells in the giant office building to the right. Cherie has just about hit her sleep tipping point which will slow her down, so sleeping would be a good idea. But where should she do it? Should she take more wood and barricade herself in one of the offices of this building? One of the other buildings in this area? Take the long sleepy walk back to her semi-safehouse in the shopping district to the north of here? There's no more food stashed in there, so the merits of that would be questionable, but it DID seem a bit safer.
PS Lindblum, yet another level where leadership wasn't an option. I kept my eyes peeled specifically for you and didn't have the choice.

Visual approximation of Cherie at this point:
Sarah_Shotgun.jpg

Damn, that was very visceral and intense.

Go sleep in a neighbour building, preferably to the East. If zombies break down that barricade, they could walk down the street instead of going for Cherie. Maybe they'll even engage the soldiers that are passing by.

Multi-headed Cow

Just occurred to me now after posting the update, I wonder if it was dumb luck that Cherie made it to the generators with so little interference and the sound of the gunfire when she was killing red skeletons was what got the hornet's nest stirred up. Not entirely sure if sound attracts zombies/survivors, but I know that smell does for zombies and lasts quite a while. Could be the gunfire started them moving in her direction in the basement, then they picked up her scent and started tracking her both in the basement and up the stairs. Entirely speculation on my part though. It's also worth mentioning that most/all (Wasn't paying THAT close attention to it) of the zombie princes were made on day 0 hour 0, so they've been banging around since worldgen and proooooobably didn't pop into existence from turning the generators on.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Very awesome update.

I suggest looking for the soldiers that showed up. Soldiers don't need to eat apparently, but they do need to sleep. If you can hang around with them until they hole up in a room you should be able to rest safely with them then, and even if you're tired while waiting for them to get tired you'll be pretty safe if you're around 3-4 soldiers with rifle ammo. Though you might have to do the barricading yourself, soldiers seem stupid about doing that/all sleeping at once. I managed to kill one while playing as a zombie because he was sleeping, badly wounded, in an open room with 3 of his buddies (also sleeping.) They didn't even wake up.

The other options is just to sleep in an out of the way room/basement, if you can find some stench spray. But I think theres a very high chance you won't get to sleep very long if you just walk into a random room and try to sleep, though the rain might help you a bit there.

The zombies are most likely attracted by sound, there wouldn't be much point to the "You hear X coming from Y" mechanics if it didn't affect your character too...so yeah, I think that group was hanging around the other side of the facility, and the fight against the skeletons dragged them out one by one. On the plus side, after that PMS-induced onslaught most of them are probably dead...deader.

I just thought of something - do soldiers care if you're a murderer, or is it just policemen? Might be risky to rely on them without being sure.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm not sure, but I think just policemen.

Didn't know about soldiers not needing to eat, too. Wonder if you can recruit them. Wouldn't have as many skills as recruiting someone from day 0 hour 0, but not taking up food almost seems worth it.

Lindblum

Augur
Well I'll be looking forward to the time when Cherie gets a slave.

Leave
If a zombie decides to enter your room while you sleep your odds of escaping in those narrow corridors are pretty low especially with such little ammo left.
Literally anywhere could be safer than that place.

Multi-headed Cow

:lol:
You should be able to make it out of that alive, though. Engage run, move left against the shelves, push left shelf to the lower-left, then keep your distance and kite the zombie.
That is a damn fine stash though, look at that food! And you even hauled a bed in there! I'm jealous!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I probably should die there - I set up two long hallways with dozens of bear traps - other survivors enter, die in the traps and I loot their corpses. I think that little store killed 10+ civilians. But the god damn zombies don't care about traps.

Edit: Well...

What is behind the shelves, you say? More zombies, of course. I made out of it alive and managed to kill the zombies and clean my safe house.

But I wanted to get rid of the infection and ventured to the CHAR side of the town... One shot and I was dead from full health. FFFUUUUUU!

pipka

Savant
~~That's what you get
For being Jew in zombieland.~~

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom