Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play KGB!

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Eh, that's pretty much how european comics are. Even humor comics like Tintin were pretty serious.

I think it's pretty evenly balanced.

Tintin

Arbiter
Tintin wasn't a "humor comic", unless that phrase has some stupid European connotation I'm not familiar with.

Tintin

Arbiter
That doesn't really make sense....it's serious but also mostly focused on humor? I think most people would think of it as an adventure story foremost, like, say, Indiana Jones.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Yeah, see... it's serious... but it's also funny! Get it?

The best Belgian and Franco-Belgian comics were pretty much adventure comics for children. And since they were targeted at children, they were often very humorous. Tintin might not have been intended as a children's comic but by golly, sit a kid down with one of your albums, Tintin, and he will laugh at the captain, the two policemen, the professor and pretty much every other character, except Tintin.

Calling it a humor comic was the wrong word, though. Adventure comic works better.

Tintin

Arbiter

It's a serious comic but focus is mostly on the funny stuff.

You know, you don't have to play dumb, it's okay to make a mistake every now and then.

Calling it a humor comic was the wrong word, though. Adventure comic works better.

Yes.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Tintin said:

You know, you don't have to play dumb, it's okay to make a mistake every now and then.

Yes.
Yeah whatever, man.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
So, anyway, update is slow because this is is a hard hard game. In my time of playing with it, I have discovered several ways of screwing up completely. I barely managed to discover the right thing to do.

I have gone this far without a walkthrough, but I am now wondering if I can do this LP without one. With a little perseverance, I have managed to discover things on my own, so I think maybe I can. It's a dillemma.

Anyway, so far, I find a seedy bar in Moscow, and I enter the backroom.

kgb1mm4.jpg

Since, I can't see anything, I open my inventory. And thus the magic of adventure games. It is in seeing the relation between random and unconspicuous items unfold in the right moments.

kgb2vs4.jpg

kgb3zq2.jpg

I have several options. Firstly, I enter the bar directly, and ask the right man.

kgb5fd6.jpg

kgb6kx6.jpg

kgb7nh4.jpg

He summons two thugs who beat me to the inch of my life, and end my investigation.

I go to the upstairs room.

kgb9ey1.jpg

Either turning the lights on or entering the adjacent room is failure.

kgb10pr0.jpg

kgb11yo8.jpg

But I did manage to discover one thing.

kgb12kx7.jpg

Not being able to find anything in the building at the moment, I get out and wander the surrounding streets.

kgb13lk4.jpg

I find a certain apartment building. I enter and knock on the door of the superintendent. Since I have a clipboard, I am pretending to be a man doing an opinion poll. (Do you see the genius of that?)

kgb15on4.jpg

I start asking questions.

kgb16cn7.jpg

Now, this is a delicate situation. I have to be under the pretense of a poller. A wrong sort of question, she will make me leave.

(Still figuring out)

Until next time...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
GeneralSamov said:
Does "I'm not really doing an opinion poll" lead to ménage-à-trois and buttsecks?
It leads to you being fired from the KGB for lack of discretion in investigation.

Lumpy

Arcane
GeneralSamov said:
Does "I'm not really doing an opinion poll" lead to ménage-à-trois and buttsecks?
No, but any other option is out-of-character, given that you are male.

Tintin

Arbiter
Did you pick up the cash from your house before going to Kursk Street?

Wyrmlord said:
GeneralSamov said:
It leads to you being fired from the KGB for lack of discretion in investigation.

No, actually, the best (only?) way of actually getting anything useful from these girls is to drop the pretense. They're not the brightest pair, and they won't immediately kick you out or anything. In fact you can drop the pretense as soon as you're in the apartment.

It's basically the hardest interaction to screw up, since even if you annoy them and they kick you out (by asking them if they provide sexual services), they'll still let you in again if you ask nicely.

Tintin

Arbiter
Yes, I'm fairly certain it is. Might want to run over there after finishing with these two.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
and show some lulzy dialogs even if they don't help the investigation.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
This reminds me of the old Sierra adventure games. The amount of times I got killed in Larry or Police Quests or Space Quests or Kings Quests oh damn, brings a tear to the eye. I think it was Lucasarts that brought us adventure games where a wrong choice didn't actually kill you anymore. Indy3 or something. Those were the times. And get off my lawn, you damn kids!

Radisshu

Prophet
Tintin said:

The main intrigues are usually serious, but the jokes carry them and keep the stories together. What's so difficult to understand?

Tintin

Arbiter

I don't get it, do you guys seriously not see any difference between saying there's humour in a book, and saying that the focus of the book is mostly on humour? Dilbert is focused mostly on the funny stuff. Tintin is an adventure comic.

Radisshu

Prophet
Tintin said:

I don't get it, do you guys seriously not see any difference between saying there's humour in a book, and saying that the focus of the book is mostly on humour? Dilbert is focused mostly on the funny stuff. Tintin is an adventure comic.

No, Dilbert is all about the funny stuff (if you happen to think Dilbert is funny), it's the only stuff there is. Everything in Dilbert revolves around the punchline. Tintin is an adventure comedy comic. The stories are serious, but there are so many jokes it also becomes a comedy. In fact, without the jokes, the comics would probably be quite uninteresting. Face it, ALL the regular supporting characters - apart from Tintin - are comedic.

Lightknight

Liturgist
I don't get it, do you guys seriously not see any difference between saying there's humour in a book, and saying that the focus of the book is mostly on humour?
Take a look at Ace Attorney games, there are 4-5 murders per game, not to mention general betrayals and lying and what have you, but the focus is indeed on the humor and parody references. There are no sudden mood shiftings in AA like there are in KGB.

Tintin

Arbiter
Tintin is an adventure comedy comic. The stories are serious, but there are so many jokes it also becomes a comedy. In fact, without the jokes, the comics would probably be quite uninteresting.

Okay, I'm not sure who you're arguing against. The initial quote which I argued against was this: "the focus is mostly on the funny stuff". If you agree with that, argue that point, not that there are many jokes or whether it would be interesting without humor.

LightKnut:
There are no sudden mood shiftings in AA like there are in KGB.

We were talking about Tintin, not KGB. Anyways, I don't see any mood shiftings in KGB, the atmosphere is pretty consistent throughout. The same conspiracy plotline and slightly over the top communist elements...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom