Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play KGB!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Tintin said:
Now, I don't remember this game perfectly from when I played it, but one thing I do remember vividly is that there is an alarm under the desk. If you don't shut off the alarm before touching anything, then the suspects are warned and you're screwed over for finishing the game. But the game NEVER TELLS YOU that you've done something wrong, so you just wonder wtf you're supposed to do.
Whoah. That is just genius. For something like this, I would say this is one of the greatest games ever made.

What sheer luck that I stumbled upon this game. Something as small as this leads to you getting into a dead end much later on; this is really cool.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Darth Roxor said:
Occasionally Fatal said:
Somehow I feel like I may be the only spectator that is interested in this LP though. :shock:

Oh no, no, I keep lurking here too.

Same here. Thanks for this LP! This game looks amazing. I've played Dune many times, and I didn't even realize the same studio went on to make a proper adventure.

Tintin

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Whoah. That is just genius. For something like this, I would say this is one of the greatest games ever made.

What sheer luck that I stumbled upon this game. Something as small as this leads to you getting into a dead end much later on; this is really cool.

Well, not much later on. If you set off the alarm, the butcher won't open the door for you. But since you don't know you've done anything wrong, you assume that there's no one home. But there's nothing else for you to do. So you just wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do.

cutterjohn

Cipher
These sorts of old adventure games were WAY worse than the old CRPGs in which your party was wiped out every 5m, as at least in those if you had a couple of neurons you could figure out what you needed to do while in adventure games you just figured that you missed something. If you were lucky someone somewhere clued you in, but fortunately this type of old adventure game wss rare as most of them just killed your character or otherwise ended the game when you messed up.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
And what's so cool about this kind of design? It's like playing FIFA20??, outclassing opposition with genius tactics and your uber micro skills only to learn at the end of match that you've been disqualified from the tournament. ZINNG! What a masterpiece.
Not.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gnidrologist said:
And what's so cool about this kind of design? It's like playing FIFA20??, outclassing opposition with genius tactics and your uber micro skills only to learn at the end of match that you've been disqualified from the tournament. ZINNG! What a masterpiece.
Not.

This. There's nothing brilliant about screw ups that are not made obvious, and later kick you in the butt with a 'SORRY, UNABLE TO PROCEED', and you have to start all fucking over again.

Especially great when it becomes apparent at like 3/4 of the game.

Tintin

Arbiter
To be fair for a moment, it isn't exactly as if the game frequently throws the kind of situations you're talking about. There are usually hints of some kind of whether you're supposed to do something. For example, the hint with the cocaine earlier. You'll see another example shortly.

The alarm is the few situations I can think of where there is no indication that you did something wrong. And even then, it should be obvious that you've reached a dead end since there's nothing else to do.

Have you even played it? All said and done, I think the game is great :cool:

Lightknight

Liturgist
To be fair for a moment, it isn't exactly as if the game frequently throws the kind of situations you're talking about.
And the fact that the game was designed with a rewind feature doesnt mean anything ?

Tintin

Arbiter
Alright, long update today , short or nonexistent update tomorrow. This is my favourite part of the chapter. Also, there's an easy coded message at the end, maybe some of you can play detective and solve it.

So, last time, we talked to the butcher and learned that the gangsters hung out in the old lady's apartment. She leaves to feed her cats, so I lockpick my way inside.

kgbprg_191.png

Doesn't seem to be anyone inside. Looks like a normal apartment. I enter the first door on the right.

I look around and find some stuff.

kgbprg_193.png

Inside one of the cupboards is a video tape. I take the videotape and put it in the VCR. A video comes up on the screen:

kgbprg_195.png

kgbprg_196.png

It's a snuff video. Two men wearing KGB uniforms come up to this girl who is tied up and rape her, then kill her.

I stop the video, but before I can do anything, there's a sudden movement behind me.

Four people walk in. Romeo, the guy from the bar I heard earlier, the one Golitsin was supposed to meet. The twins that I saw at the club. And finally, this guy with an eyepatch who bears a resemblance to the description of "Verto" the gangster that was given to me by the butcher.

kgbprg_204.png

Well, that solves the question of who Hollywood was.

There's nothing I can do at this point. Four against one.

So, basically, they beat me down and I wake up dazed in a strange, small room I've never seen before.

kgbprg_210.png

Good guess.

kgbprg_214.png

kgbprg_215.png

That sounds too familiar to the video I just watched for my liking. Anyways, they leave me alone and I stand there doing nothing. I try knocking on the door or listening to it, but nothing happens. So I press the "wait" button. Finally some girl comes in.

I'm guessing this is my co-star.

kgbprg_226.png

I give her my fake name. She keeps asking for more and more information. I'm deciding it's not safe to tell her anything, so I play dumb.

Finally another guy is pushed into the room and the door slams behind him.

kgbprg_229.png

kgbprg_230.png

I don't think Wyrmlord did this on his playthrough, but if you look at the window back during the first mission, you notice some guy staring at you. This was that guy. He seems to be involved in this whole thing as well.

kgbprg_232.png

I decide to play it safe. But she starts screaming that we're trying to kill her anyways, and the door is opened for her. She leaves. The American starts to talk.

kgbprg_236.png

So I guess he's as suspicious of me as I am of him. I try to speak to him.

kgbprg_250.png

Right. So he thinks I'm a gangster too. Great.

Anyways, so I try listening to the door again.

kgbprg_266.png

kgbprg_267.png

Now that should ring a bell. She wants a generous dose, but it didn't come through. Dose of what? Cocaine obviously. Why didn't it come through. Because I flushed it down the toilet earlier! Now some of you are going to think this is too hard to have to do something earlier for this to work, and it is too hyper-realistic. But the game did give a hint, and anyways, you can't expect to win your first play through. You pick up hints like this and then realize what you're supposed to do.

So in this situation I know some kind of weakness I can exploit using the girl, but what good is it if Verto is there? I keep looking around the room and notice an alarm above the door.

The American spots me looking at it and breaks his silence.

kgbprg_253.png

And again, the importance of noticing the alarm in the meatshop comes back into play.

So, good plan, right? Trick Verto into leaving by setting off the alarm, then we can trick Rita into opening the door.

But.....

kgbprg_260.png

kgbprg_261.png

Doesn't work, and we end up killed.

But, I backtrack to before we tried this and notice there's something on the table.

kgbprg_222.png

A bug. So that would be how he knew about the fake alarm.

Only one thing to do here...

kgbprg_271.png

The American watches me destroy the big, and is impressed.

kgbprg_272.png

So with no one listening in on the conversation, I try to pull off the alarm scheme again.

This time....

kgbprg_276.png

kgbprg_277.png

I call Rita from the door.

kgbprg_279.png

I tell her that she needs cocaine and I can give it to her. She is slightly crazy due to cravings. At first, she doesn't believe me, but I tell her that I stole it and tell her exactly where it was as a way of proof. This seems to convince her.

kgbprg_287.png

She opens the door, but has a gun on us, and tells me to quickly give her the drugs.

kgbprg_291.png

KGB training comes in handy once again, and she goes down.

The American speaks:

kgbprg_295.png

He chuckles and doesn't give me the gun. I guess he's not that friendly.

So it turns out that the stuffy room was actually just the other door in the apartment. I look around, and find everything I used to have in my inventory stuffed in a desk.

kgbprg_298.png

But there's some other stuff too. The American's passport was confiscated as well.

kgbprg_300.png

One more new thing, a blank blue piece of paper.

z1.png

After some inventory mixing and matching, I figure out that when you take a picture of the blank paper, you can see the coded writing on it.

z3.png

Does that mean anything to you?

There's nothing else to find here and I decide it isn't safe to stay in this room for too long.

But in the hallway..

kgbprg_305.png

I go back into the apartment and hide behind the door.

When Verto comes in, I go ninja on him. He goes down in surprise.

kgbprg_310.png

I search him and find.....another blank piece of paper.

I take a photo of this one too:

z.png

Along with my first one:

z3.png

In case you're wondering, you have to solve this puzzle on your own before progressing.

I'll end here for now.

And if you want to solve that (easy) coded message go ahead.

Tintin

Arbiter
Good job.

There's another puzzle coming up in the next chapter.

If you can solve that one, I'll give you my life savings :)

Lightknight

Liturgist
Lightknight : the fact that the game was designed with a rewind feature doesnt mean anything ?

Tintin : true, though I never use it.

later in the playthrough...

Tintin : But, I backtrack to before we tried this...

Tintin

Arbiter
Lightknight said:
Lightknight : the fact that the game was designed with a rewind feature doesnt mean anything ?

Tintin : true, though I never use it.

later in the playthrough...

Tintin : But, I backtrack to before we tried this...

As in loaded a previous save in that particularl case.

Unless by "rewind" you're actually referring to thel "backtrack" option that comes up when you die rather than the rewind button I see in the corner.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Wow, this game is fucked up.

My mind just bursts at seeing who did what and who is connected to whom.

I take it that Verto is the one voiced by Donald Sutherland?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I'm only reading the comments as of now, because I don't want to spoil the game for when I will play it myself :) Keep going!

Tintin

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
Wow, this game is fucked up.

My mind just bursts at seeing who did what and who is connected to whom.

I take it that Verto is the one voiced by Donald Sutherland?

It's going to get a LOT more complicated.

No, there's no voice acting.

Cryo released a CD version featuring some (bad) videos of Donald Sutherland acting as your dead father, giving you advice occasionally.

So the characters so far: Verto is Hollywood, the guy who was terrorizing the butcher as well. He had a deal with Golitsin, who was killed and whose office we investigated earlier. The middleman was Romeo, who we saw waiting in the bar. The American is a new character but apparently working against Verto since he was capture by him and thrown into the room with you.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This game is awesome and incredibly hard, when I tried to play it just could not get past the first chapter. Good job with the LP, it makes wanting to play it again.

Tintin

Arbiter
Okay, so last episode we beat down Verto and figured out a coded message. And obviously Darth was right, the message is just a simple alternating pattern between the two, it says:

Leningrad aug(ust) 16(th) 3pm (15:00) ladoga park.

So, with that in mind, and having figured out what I need to know for the most part, I run away and head back to Department P (the next morning in game time)

The ever so friendly Vovlov greets us.

kgbprg_311.png

kgbprg_315.png

kgbprg_316.png

And what's my reward?

kgbprg_321.png

...their plans. Right. Good thinking.

So I load the game back to before I left the apartment.

kgbprg_310.png

This time I return the two coded messages back into their respective places (the cupboard and Verto's pocket).

Now I go back to Department P again.

kgbprg_311.png

etc, etc, but this time he accepts my mission results and I get sent once again to colonel Galushkin.

kgbprg_328.png

Thank god.

kgbprg_319.png

Here's where the coded message comes in.

So I tell him I have to go to Leningrad, Lagoda park at 3:pm on August 16th according to the message. He agrees and sends me on my way.

Since this is a more high-tech mission that involves spying on people, I get some cool equipment.

A hidden microphone, a camera.

A tape recorder for the microphone that can be activated from far away, and can be activated in different ways, such as:

kgbprg_344.png

And other stuff. Then he says that he knew my father, and that if I need help,

kgbprg_353.png

I also have a controller who I'm supposed to meet with at 7 after I conduct my clandestine activities.

So

Chapter 2

After a long train ride the next day, I find myself in a hotel room,

kgbprg_224.png

The phone rings immediately.

kgbprg_194.png

kgbprg_196-1.png

kgbprg_197.png

Right. So I leave the hotel, but when I exit the door, I am shot. Literally, you die right after leaving.

So I load again and try using the telephone to call the the number that the guy on the phone had said.

kgbprg_200.png

Okay....looking back at the first phone call, the guy asked if I had checked the lights, so I go into the bathroom and look at the light.

kgbprg_202.png

These are the contents of the paper:

kgbprg_203.png

kgbprg_204-1.png

kgbprg_205.png

kgbprg_206-1.png

Now this puzzle is a little over the top, but you aren't forced to solve it.

YOu can call the equipment guy and he gives you hints, and if you whine enough, he'll just decode it for you.

So I call,

kgbprg_210-1.png

kgbprg_211.png

kgbprg_212.png

Call him again, still don't get it. Luckily the game doesn't think too highly of you.

kgbprg_220.png

kgbprg_221.png

Of course if you're lazy you can just call him again and he'll decode it himself.

But I'll stop here anyways, and if anyone wants to try you can, but I doubt anyone who plays this game actually bothers to decode it themselves.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This is a really really dark game. Playing it further, I just feel disgust and horror. Listening to the story of how the fat butcher found pictures of his daughter in compromising positions - that is wicked stuff. So many messed up elements.

I don't think I have ever felt that way whilst playing a game. And I also think it is a bad thing. Games are supposed to make you feel enjoyment, make you entertained. Not nauseate and repluse you.

Jazper

Educated
Yep, a genuinely nasty game. I was disturbed when I didn't escape from that room and the game over message was something along the lines of 'after much pain you welcome your own death,' leaving the worst to your own imagination with the knowledge that some sickos have filmed the whole thing for enjoyment. The characters involved in the whole snuff video affair - such as the twins - are some of most fucked up I've seen in videogames. I remember that cocaine addicted slag saying something along the lines of she'll 'enjoy watching my eyes being popped out.'

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
I think that anything which manages to nauseate and repulse me deserves praise. I'm barely touched by the shit shown on television these days, that I almost exclusively only respond to good books (and some games). When games manage to raise something in me through excellent story and NPC development in combination with questionable themes, I appreciate them greatly and welcome them, no matter how repulsive the theme, and how "sickened" I feel.

Tigranes

Arcane
That game was a bitch, I remember getting a little farther than where the LP is at now, and realising that I didn't talk to this guy who I had no way of knowing was there before doing a few other things and now I wasn't going to be able to follow up the only lead driving away.

Got me right into the habit of 10 rolling saves, right there. Really good game though.

Radisshu

Prophet
I am secretly following this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom