Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Metal Max

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
METAL MAX SERIES

Main Games

1991 - Metal Max (NES, Jap only, fan-translated) // 1995 - Metal Max Returns (SNES remake, Jap only, fan translated)
1993 - Metal Max 2 (SNES, Jap only) // 2003 - Metal Max 2 Kai (GBA remake, Jap only) // 2011 - Metal Max 2 Reloaded (NDS remake, Jap only)
2005 - Metal Saga (PS2, first official English release of a Metal Max game)
2006 - Metal Saga: Season of Steel (NDS, Jap only)
2010 - Metal Max 3 (NDS, Jap only, fan translated)
2013 - Metal Max 4 (3DS, Jap only)
2018 -
Metal Max Xeno (PS4, official English release)

Other stuff
2007 - Metal Saga Mobile aka Metal Saga: the Melody of Linkage (mobile, Jap only)
2010 - Metal Saga: New Frontier (MMORPG, Jap only)

2015 - Metal Max: Fireworks (mobile, Jap only)
2015 - Metal Saga: The Ark of Wastes (mobile, Jap only)

METAL MAX

GgeLqJe.jpg
s4qwqws.jpg

wDLKCzg.png
50QYm5n.png

Always wanted to play this, but never came around to actually doing it. Let's see how far I get

ML9HIM0.png
vY8SqNE.png
zi90gfh.png
rhlvSkZ.png
dNh5XRN.png

The intro starts with your father dumping on you for your life choices. No respects for adventurers it seems

zrZW0PW.png
bHI3Ua8.png
iDG15jw.png

No idea why you lay around for the day to dawn. Okay, next step is understanding the basics. This is basically a Dragon Quest clone with a wasteland skin, can't be too complex. Talk when standing next to people, Status for well, the status of your char and another menu for when I get a vehicle, which everyone is telling me I need to get to survive

DoowCuH.png
AwpLITY.png
tKqRTn6.png

Search for interacting with various other objects. The game often loads extra screens, like the one for the vending machine.

ujodh6W.png
amioOU4.png

You also get a deposit space (trunk) and a machine that tells you how much exp you need for the next level up

JLIXPT1.png
kJXwkqB.png
eVEz2IY.png

You zoom in on places inside places

M1bvUNM.png
7z7hUQj.png

Or when you enter buildings to loot peoples belongings (not quite sure how these boxers will help, but it's a wasteland, somebody probably will give me something for it)

oTgeDlm.png
ROCMdfB.png
ndOlVbF.png

I think I'm ready to leave the house

8gGuBYY.png
EmgxNuA.png
5uHF2eP.png

Okay, let see all Riorado has to offer

lyAwwHL.png
XxFhXiY.png

House on the right is where the local crazy scientist lives

fKnxktF.png
hTwWdnm.png

So talking brains, a prisoner for no reason, Dr. Mortem sounds like a standup guy

UCjMrMs.png
ZhtZV4x.png
AyUcLMX.png

Dr. Mortem is very single-minded, you have to hand it to him. He knows what he wants

MSEYRcX.png
uX8Qq6i.png
JPrwl10.png
qSRVwPF.png

The next building is a teleporter, but apparently I can't enter it at the moment

ogjTtSX.png
KhjHVhN.png

We get our first quest, get a vehicle in the first dungeon

yHedFsL.png

But before we can do that, first let's check the Inn. We get more information about the first dungeon as well as another reminder to get a vehicle

p9sTgD1.png
bnW8TLq.png
5e3Iiwa.png
zyo0du3.png
P8Sal25.png
yWEdaQq.png
eclRyax.png

Okay, next up the bar. Not much at the moment, you can change the tune in the jukebox and I think the Red Wolf char might be hirable later, or maybe not

J0MH1bU.png
jX5hkec.png
wWb0yLQ.png
o4FVt0l.png
8E52kkA.png

Last is the shop and the hunter's guild

6S0yOYy.png
3Wtyqt8.png
wsQn05B.png
5hizO59.png

Okay, ready to leave the village

VelooES.png

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Outside of town its the standard fare of all old jRPGs, lots and lots of random combat. Here some enemies you encounter early on, although they do occur you in groups and even groups of mixed enemies

4Rtb7ug.png
ckkD23J.png
AU5rm1k.png
ncVa2fF.png
8cXKQVV.png

If you get enough EXP, you automatically level up, with no control over how your main stats increase. You also get random skills increases, which is hilarious when you get an update to driving skill without even having a vehicle. The magic of RPG mechanics. Btw. if you die you actually get revived from Dr. Mortem. Not sure if this is for the whole game or only in the beginning.

quGbE4Y.png
FLHlSwG.png

Ok, the first mission is to get a tank, which is in the southern cave. It has two levels. The first level has not much.

jAMlAbn.png

vDTI5aD.png
GcKQ9lX.png
GBaI2kp.png
CUrVbvp.png
zokkD99.png

Also a new enemy, but it wasn't much more dangerous than what you can meet outside

NPPnq14.png

The second level has a few dead ends and then you find the tank. But you get attacked by a dog with a cannon, who can almost kill you in a couple of shots, but then you get some help from Red Wolf. Not without self-interest, he gets the good stuff from the tank and leaves you the old model behind. But it's better than nothing.

GnjFM9D.png
zCahexK.png
vhgmm4C.png
Hx1niO3.png
NIaKJZq.png

You even get to name your new tank

B8uCuS1.png

Then just open the way via the console and leave the dungeon. If you meet some enemies, they have to deal with your Machine Gun, that packs a heft punch.

OALqFWK.png
yFJAiIq.png
Zc9DNvA.png
LdBKLlL.png

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So there's another cave close to the first city, just have to leave westward, then north and then circle south again.

WoJkhFC.png

Without the tank its a bit too heavy for beginners, but now with my tank its no problem

1qXBLhJ.png

Not much to it, some crates, a new enemy type that usually sits around doing nothing and then rams you

Pzm7jEp.png
f1bnCL0.png
E4RDfGq.png
X4fnZ66.png
sHFd1QP.png

When the game wants you to leave the safety of your tank, it puts those tiles in your way you can only cross on feet, but which stop your tank

angrRhc.png
uTa1zMZ.png

So at some point into the cave, I ran out of ammo for my tank's machine gun. I hadn't looked into it, but I just assumed this was an infinite attack button since the normal ranged weapons don't have ammo either. But just at that moment I found another weapon in a crate, that while not as powerful as my main weapon, can spam infinite attacks. Not sure if it was designed intentionally like that, but it sure was a nice happenstance (edit: I tried it out with the original Japanese later, same behaviour, but if you get pummelled at 0 armor long enough your tank goes explody, so there's that). Btw. if you ran out of ammo either go to 'Other' options to run away or leave the vehicle via 'Vehicle status' to attack with your normal guns

ZiIrSDV.png
0jSAp4c.png
6ueRS5n.png

At the lowest level of the cave you find the Guorilla clan, which packs some punch at that point. Even your tank Submachine gun doesn't do a lot of damage, so I left my vehicle to throw a few grenades that worked nicely and killed two of them, then I escaped into the safety of my tank again. Their attacks whittled down my tank armor to zero, but then nothing happens. I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but once my armor was depleted, even when they inflicted damage on me, it didn't decrease my HP and the tank didn't break down either, very odd. Which meant I could safely kill the last two by just attacking them with my tank gun, even if it took a bit of time as the gun did so little damaged.

t6ztvuK.png
aMupMsR.png
n8Esiic.png
UU8n6eP.png

So after killing them I went back to Riorado, restocked my main tank machine gun with ammo, got full tank armor again, bought some items (both your tool and your weapons/armor capacity is limited to 8 each) and checked some other stuff I hadn't before, like trying to talk to Dr. Mortem's prisoner.

bmknhGS.png
kuKHOU7.png
R3OgmkJ.png
4fCCNl3.png

Oh yeah, also got my reward for taking out the Guorilla clan. Hunter's office is also where you can save.

EvQnhj3.png
CtcXnl4.png
XMVmnjn.png

Once everything is done, you can head out into the wider world. There's an outpost north of the first city and the 2nd cave, that opens the gate when you ask them nicely.

9f33SU7.png

HUg6HGV.png
RX04PiP.png
blXxQIV.png
2siPPKB.png

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
After leaving the first area, you see those ugly-looking ground tiles, that stop you from driving on them with your tank, and since I don't feel like exploring on food right now, I keep it for later.

9lNkGwj.png
XHh324E.png

Following the mountains south and you find a single location on the coast, where you find some vending machines some of you probably would like to have in real life. One of the guests gives me a hint about a secret trader campsite

KowS1kB.png

dfLOZV2.png
C3oMGAA.png
2oGe6mE.png
K7xqvfp.png
DOjiwT0.png

Some new enemies in this area, a palette swap of the Guorilla Gang, a flying monster and some plants that can spew poison. It damages you over time during combat, but doesn't last past combat, so its not too dangerous.

synwfwf.png
izjk4TE.png
G0w73A3.png
5jSGZII.png

The secret campsite is exactly where you would expect it to be, in the middle of the trees (can't go there in a tank since those are tiles you can only cross on foot). You can buy some stuff in the trader camp, but nothing exactly you need. That Game Kid items looks interesting, not because I have any clue what it does, but its exorbitant prices make me ventures it's either important later on or an utterly useless joke item, probably the ladder. Also we get the tip about another location nearby.

DRTl8Kh.png
mOwxoty.png
S1Q2bOH.png
VnOQZq2.png

Since there's not much else to do here, let's leave at the moment and check out the location the trader from the secret camp told me about

0MuBKlH.png

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Oh I didn't played this one but played Metal Max Returns on SNES and seeing the maps you shared I realized it's actually a remake of this one. Very fun game by the way.

lightbane

Arcane
Oh hey, Japanese Wastedland! Can you make bigger screens though? Can't see shit here.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
HDWXoOP.png

Our next step is a little cabin in the woods, but alas you can't reach it with a tank, so it's left behind for the moment

MPDChMd.png
nUERVvH.png
OUhwtms.png

Not everything is happy in post-apocalypse land

A12tyhy.png
Lb683PX.png
QIy4njN.png

The next location is another small house close to the next city, which is Pobre Obre, both of which we can reach on foot if we go East

sVZUsYN.png
g5bkepk.png
Ug7K2GS.png
c0c2KFr.png
QnQMop5.png

I don't know who this Sam is, but it seems he wants to explore the wider world and likes tanks, but since I'm here on food he doesn't care about me yet. So back to my tank and then around the mountain to increase my crew. Turns out the tank was exactly what I needed to get a new mechanics

5o6PTMN.png
054fvg4.png
qqeU6U3.png

Next is heading directly to Pobre Obre, which is another town with a lot of the same stuff we've seen in the starting town. Bar, Inn, Shops, etc. We can use the teleporter now to teleport between cities we have already visited, which is kinda nice until you realize you can't take your tank with you. But it's useful in case you die, since you can just go back to the last city where you were before.

Anyways, we get a greeting. Missed the chance for a good joke there by allowing you to answer no.

ukK6Ke2.png
BLZENhy.png
5TZ9wlK.png
oZujksq.png
inrENUT.png

The teleporter center is now actually useful. Just don't think about all the Star Trek episodes were something happened. Or the Fly. You're definitely, maybe safe in there

25x54jf.png
fHBrF2t.png
FrUefwY.png

One of the attractions in town is betting on frog races. I like all the extra stuff in this game, its pointless but given how it might have given the coders lots of stress for something so irrelevant its shows how much work was poured into this game

ykkPNnu.png

You can now also buy new stuffies for your tank or even rent-a-tank. And there's a shop for indoor decoration. Not sure yet whether that's in the category absolutely pointless or somewhat pointless

obXflSW.png
xutb85D.png
Q9tXZxj.png
W1Mlbwl.png
F2wadOD.png

And we find out where possible the next piece of the action is

WrbUlxV.png
ytztPni.png
5TduHek.png

The hunter office adds another piece, the info with where another bounty is hiding

0LvC2dD.png
sP0moeF.png
WVImNuR.png

So heading out again, though before I go to get El Piranha, I check out the last two locations on the map

oZujksq.png

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
zz50p64.png

Let's start with some more enemies you encounter in the wasteland, I mean Metal Max. Most of those are tank enemies. Basically the game has areas for where you're supposed to walk on foot, and areas where you're supposed to be in a tank. If you meet tanks enemies on foot, you're usually dead within one or two rounds. This game is not kind to people without tanks.

cMOc68S.png
oWCNzBt.png
5jSWXUH.png
AUdweeO.png
p2GaXff.png

Very funny enemy, he has one big shot (hence his name) but then is out of ammo and defenseless against you. That's what I really like about the enemies in Metal Max, they aren't just different skins, but exhibit different behaviors, strengths and weaknesses.

0v8gnPL.png
W38DRbW.png

Okay, first part is Negi, a small town in a sort of swamp area (I assume its swamp). There's nothing to do here really

x5IFwnz.png
Bq7o5mV.png
mjbrhQ7.png
KYUGeMi.png

Second part is the location in the north-eastern part of the map. It's closed and we can't get in at the moment, so I assume it will be relevant later. You can walk around the fence and see that it goes down, so there's some underground lab or base there.

rvX7iuF.png
wMWmsCD.png

Finally, the facility on an oil rig or whatever it's supposed to be. On the long walk over the bridge you meet some tanktopus.

XAMVn40.png
KR52Wnh.png
0gFQ9eJ.png
dsvIzt4.png

The part inside the facility was a bit disappointing. It's pretty small and all you have to do is talk to the boss, who then allows you to take the buggy. The enemy design is neat here. If you need to, kill the Anti-Theft devices first.

GN8gFSE.png
egzUdae.png
QcoBerK.png
l3uRqRd.png

Once you leave the oil rig or whatever it is you meet El Piranha and his gang, which is kinda what was missing up to this point, some excitement. Don't hold back killing them one by one, don't spread your attacks and if the buggy is too damaged to shoot anymore, let it go defend for each round.

dGN7ovd.png
guGrvmh.png

Okay, the final and fourth part, going over the bridge in the north. You reach a small island where explosions go off randomly around you and which actually looks like a bombardment. This strips you off your armor and damages you further afterward. So once you reach the Big Cannons you're usually pretty defenseless and not in the best state. Then they usually curb-stomp you in a short amount of time. I'm not quite sure if there's a trick, whether I need to level up more + better gear. I do now that with some luck you can get through the bombardment almost unscathed, but again most of the time you won't. And the big cannon kill you in a few rounds even with full armor. Let's see how to solve this

iPMov67.png
6E6CudP.png
yjnu1B5.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom