Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Let's play Might and Magic 2 - Gates to Another World (1988) - Dos version!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nor am I, but I can recognize when a name is simply spelled backwards, and then google comes to the rescue. ;)

Also, show us the battle against the Megadragon why don't you? :smug:

Nor am I, but I can recognize when a name is simply spelled backwards, and then google comes to the rescue. ;)

Also, show us the battle against the Megadragon why don't you? :smug:

Yeah, i can perfectly agree here - Google is great helping *hand*. This "Gumby" series have pretty goofy, but lovable artstyle (just like some of Might & Magic art, lol) :cool:

This battle happens off screen, in most cases. I can try to do this with my party, but this is natural CBT: i need to drink MaxHP Potion for 10+ times, use level boosting items to temporary boost level of everybody in party for 150+ and so on, so this is some next level of cheeze, at least in my opinion :negative:

Somebody who also played Might & Magic 2 actually killed Megadragon with single Disintegrate (or at least he been telling me so), but he used SEGA port.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
seems there's a lot of fun to be had wandering past centuries without just the quest items

you didn't fight the 4 elemental lords?

seems there's a lot of fun to be had wandering past centuries without just the quest items

you didn't fight the 4 elemental lords?

Probably i been playing throught the Might & Magic 2 too fast in last post with basically completing most components of Main Quest in single go.

I can certainly fight Elemental Lords, even if i probably will succed pretty easily with all spells and equipment avaliable.
Maybe i will do this, in addition to Square Lake.

Part 13: Adventure comes to end with SMAC party exploring past
more thoroughtly and helping to ensure long future for CRON...

While i WILL finish a game in this part at the complete end of post, i also make some interesting travels into past centuries of CRONian history (want to kill all Elemental Lords, meet with some cool historical personas from the past and explore 5-th era and 6-th era by a bit), along with some last bits of information regarding some in-game details.

-Let's begin a last part of our Let's Play!-

~~~One more thing: player can continue to play Might & Magic 2 even after end and final score - but this is more relevant for "challenge" fights, like 66 Devil Kings, Megadragon and so on. Maybe i will traverse a land from time to time myself after Game End, heh~~~

unknown.png

^^^ Santiago, Morgan and Yang level at the start of this part after good deal of training in Atlantium. Maybe they will be even more "leveled" afterwards, who knows.

~Actually, everyone in party been able to train for 4 more levels (!), but it is me not paying attention to amount of experience that my lads aquired by the end of promotional quests and by slaying hordes of end-tier crap. [Magical development of "hybrid" classes ends with tier 3 spells, so they started to gain only HP and *some* SP without new spells for them pretty early]
Now time to pay more visits into Time of Creation and complete personal missions of SMAC party to kill EVERY Elemental Lord~

unknown.png

^^^ Assassination # 1: Lord of Change and Creator of Dragons named Acwalandar

[Before battle, buffed everybody with magical trees giving 200 Might and 200 Speed for single combat encounter]. Well, well, one of the actual main "villains" of the story and creator of Megadragon. 2 000 HP, extreme magical resistance (1-6 level spells shrug off him) and high speed of 70 (so he will make my life miserable without buffs). Let see how it's goes...

Outcome: 1 000 damage with Breathe Cold and cleric been going down first, so no Moon Ray or no Raise Dead...

unknown.png

^^^ Without temporarily buffing my characters with Skill Potions (+ 5 levels temporary) and MaxHp Potions i just cannot damage Acwalander properly - while i deal crappy 35 damage he deals hundreds.

finale-1.png

^^^ Now we able to deal around 500+ damage with Santiago doing crazy 20 attacks (!). Second round generally been extremly good for my party: 5 Water Elementals died immideately.

finale-2.png

^^^ Slimy bitch goes down, but my party goes up! From Gold Chest (one of few times where i got this kind of chests) actually got complete shit and only 17K gold. Meh.

[Key combinations here are simple: Divine Intervention + Power Shield + high magical / force resistances allowing characters to have thousands of HP and dish out a ton while surviving all bullshit from enemies]

unknown.png

^^^ Assassination # 2: Lord of Storms and Conjurer of Divine named Shalwend

Interesting... Two times as less HP compared to previous Water Lord, but ability to Invoke Power. Almost intrigued how well it goes for us now...

finale-3.png

^^^ Almost too easy. Invoke Powers ability probably extremly dependent on difference between levels of user of ability and targets - and my characters are buffed to hell and back. Acwalander is KING, but Shalwend is anything but KING, in short.
He also dropped Bronze Chest, instead of Gold Chest, heh. Got irrelevant item from it (Compass) and 14K gold.

~Killing two Elemental Lords allow my party to advance one more time in levels~

unknown.png

^^^ Assassination # 3: Lord of Flames and Creator of Demons named Pyrannaste

This one is pretty strong Lord, 1 500 HP with some good resistances and speed - and some nasty company to boot. Let's see...

finale-4.png

^^^ Second hardest battle with Elemental Lord so far, partially due to total number of enemies against me. Another Bronze Chest - another pretty useless reward (Lantern).

~~Last battle with elemental Lord and i will explore 5-th century more for potential *interesting* stuff and easter eggs~~

unknown.png

^^^ Assassination # 4: Lord of Mountains and Endless Plains named Gralkor

Only encounter with Elemental Lord where player MUST defeat at least one more of 4 additional encounters guarding him in circle (you cannot move diagonally).

finale-5.png

^^^ Hardest battle due to breathe acid ability both from Earth Elementals and Gralkor burning HP of even buffed party away pretty quickly.
At other hand, got Gold Chest...

finale-6.png

^^^ Bad luck again, even if G Chain Mail + 7 is not that bad. Also, even after resting for 8 times Elemental Plane of Earth been not allowing me to leave (arrggghh).

~~While exploring 6-th era from "hint" i been able to found in Castle Xabran noticed someone named as Spaz Twit. As far as i can remember he is in A-1, near Tundara of future age.

unknown.png

^^^ Hehe, time for Spaz Twit to bow before me. Ahh, EZ battle with White Knights (resistant to woman's melee attacks) and Spaz himself.

finale-7.png

^^^ Phaser is pretty OK (gives + 5 Acuraccy and allows to cast Disintegration), other items are trash. Let's move into 5-th age...

~~~While exploring 5-th age very strangley... I noticed nothing too unusual, personally. Maybe i been not exploring enough to notice big differences [some walls can contain "easter eggs" or some interesting information], but i'm not interested in exploring every corner in search for something *potentially* interesting. So after i done everything i want in game for most part (not going to kill Superdragon right now, but maybe will try to cheeze later on with insane buffs) so let's move into...

SQUARE LAKE dungeon located in heart of C-2 - fearsome residence of SHELTEM and his small retinue of henchmens. This is hardest dungeon in the game with enemies of every level possible can be encountered here, but most encounters can be bribed with high probablity of success. Structure of dungeon is... kind of lame, honestly: party will walk ino extremly long hallways only to find one combat encounter near the end of each hallways - and this is same for most dungeon. Is it cool dungeon to traverse? Yeah, it can give some nice vibes. Is it best dungeon in the Might & Magic 2? Nah, not even remotely : >

Anyway, time to decide fate of CRON once and for all~~~

unknown.png

^^^ The End is near... [Player can enter this dungeon before saving King Kalohn, actually, but cannot get into control room].

unknown.png

^^^ Interesting thing to notice near entrance, heh.

unknown.png

^^^ Joke combat with horde of muggers and couple of brain eaters. Meh. To my surprise, got 100+ gems for everybody after this encounter.

unknown.png

^^^ Meh. But at least this is not something killing me in one-two blows.

unknown.png

^^^ Two next encounters are not worth even typing (but got good reward in gems) - but this one can be interesting due to Pyro Hydras.

unknown.png

^^^ After couple of RIP's (due to Ancient Dragons showing and just insta-killing me) i bribed my way to the top. It usually works pretty well with humanoid opponents.

~After couple more encounters party entered inner halls of this very *frustrating* dungeon (battle against 200+ muggers is such a bullshit when you cannot spam A-Attack and you have backline), but this all seem to end...

unknown.png

^^^ Structure of Square Lake Dungeon for anybdoy interested. Two more lines are safe for most part...

finale-8.png

^^^ Hardest challenge in game right here - much harder compared to even Megadragon. 66 (!!) 14-th level creatures (!!!) require party to being buffed to 255 level and have around 50 000 HP to even think about entering battle.
So i will easily accept this offer...

unknown.png

^^^ Next hall is mostly filled with messages preparing player for inevitable showdown with SHELTEM.

unknown.png

^^^ Time for our dance to end...

finale-9.png

^^^ SHELTEM himself is a "joke" boss at this point with only 400 HP at his disposal. Earth Elemental is my top-priority to kill.

finale-10.png

^^^ After quickly dispatching guardians of control room, i entered it and typed "WAFE" previosuly given to me by King Kalohn.

~~And here real-time puzzle begins... It been not as hard as in previous time due to sentence from important document in our own history (with one changed name)
<WE, THE PEOPLE OF TERRA, IN ORDER TO FORM A
MORE PERFECT UNION, ESTABLISH JUSTICE,
INSURE DOMESTIC TRANQUILITY,
PROVIDE FOR THE COMMON DEFENSE
>
is being direct answer to said puzzle. You given word named "preamble" and also given short text with randomized letters, so player must find letters in text corresponding to said "preamble" and form new word.

~~Do not want to spoil my own puzzle variant (completed it in 7~ minutes) and here we FUCKING GO~~

FINALE-11.png

^^^ HELL, YEAH. Saved a CRON from collapsing into extreme hear of local sun!

unknown.png

^^^ Also one more part of Let's Play where i got more experience, then all other parts combined : >

~~It's been a HUGE blast in middle part of game for me - early game is more or survival experience, while end-game is full of contrasts (either cheeze fest, or curb stomp battles against tons of crap). But early and late parts of game still provide extremly interesting expirience to really love Might & Magic 2 and i wanted to replay this slightly archaic games not for "pretty eyes" alone.
(+) Encounter system, in-game equipment system and game world ARE strongest parts of Might & Magic 2. It also features much better quests and side-quests compated to Might & Magic 1, in all honesty. Generally gameplay of the Might & Magic 2 been captivating for me all the way until SHELTEM and final score.
(-) In the same honesty, in-game economy is for most part is broken and player will notice this pretty quickly - fountains converting gold do not help situation that much. Still no real interactions with NPC's, except for Lord's quests selection screens.
[Subjective crap, but i dislike both final "dungeons" in both first Might & Magic games, but i'm pretty fine with final puzzle in Might & Magic 2. Also, Cuisinarts are slightly dumb way to level up extremly quickly and way easier compared to Elemental Lords or similar enemies by difficulty]

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/search/label/Might and Magic II

^^^ CRPGAddict probably played game *slightly* differently compared to me, but i respect his opinion on Might & Magic 2 too and can recommend his review and his content.

Cheers to everybody reading this and hope i provided good Let's Play 0/

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Good show!

How many Doomsday Boxes did you find?
Did you fight the Cat from Hell? It has a good chance of dropping a Box.

Just got to home right now... Will slightly change introduction and add links to parts of Let's Play.

I actually have plans to post one more Let's Play (Read) of similar CRPG of "elegant age" and my current variants now are:
-early Wizardry games~
-Dark Heart of Uurkul~
-Disciples of Steel (if this game is actually playable and enjoyable)~
-Dungeon Master~

Feel free to comment on any similar turn-based, grid based blobber you want to see!

Good show!

How many Doomsday Boxes did you find?
Did you fight the Cat from Hell? It has a good chance of dropping a Box.

No Doomsday Boxes, sadly. Got around 6~ Gold Boxes (mostly from Cuisinarts once, from some Elemental Lords and in the Square Lake, near end), but loot from them is *meh* this run.
Cat from Hell is unfought : [

BTW, if you completed the game in only nine days that's quite impressive.

It is not first time i play Might & Magic 2, i still had "hints" with me from previous run and it just usual me playing games pretty quickly (missing out some content in result), lol.
Still thanks for kind words 0/

Octavius, sorry to ask such silly questions, but how i can make table of contents with links to all of my Let's Play parts in thread?

I still learning some of the codex functions, and right now i see only permalink option.

crap1.png

^^^ Like in this table of content related to DHoU Let's Read of Crooked Bee, for example.

I'm not sure how to add link to part of my Let's Read with link looking like: "Part 1: Start of the Adventure!" and so on.

Nevermind, found this out by myself, lol.

Going to reformat first message and add relevant links to everything in my Let's Read and will start planning on Dungeon Master :cool:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
This was the very first blobber I played after completing Dragon Wars and SSI's Pool of Radiance on my C64 . It was tough going and I didn't enjoy myself so I quit just after the first "practice" dungeon when I had apparently wandered into an area (an island of some kind) that apparently wasn't meant for 1st lvl characters. You know what happened next. I didn't fully understand the concept of non-linearity in cRPGs since there appeared to be a minimum of that in DW and PoR.

This was the very first blobber I played after completing Dragon Wars and SSI's Pool of Radiance on my C64 . It was tough going and I didn't enjoy myself so I quit just after the first "practice" dungeon when I had apparently wandered into an area (an island of some kind) that apparently wasn't meant for 1st lvl characters. You know what happened next. I didn't fully understand the concept of non-linearity in cRPGs since there appeared to be a minimum of that in DW and PoR.

Heyo, Jack! Probably island of sorts that party can get into pretty quickly (by buying ticket in first city building close to Arena, Middlegate for 5K gold) is Murray's Resort - and i myself been traped to death into this place at least one time, so i can feel your pain : ]

Non-linearity in Might & Magic 2 appealing to me, but this also related to different path of how i got into playing Might & Magic 2 myself (actually, completed first game before, so most less appealing aspects been plausable for me) and i think this game still is more fun with most of CRON being open for exploration from beginning.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Heyo, Jack! Probably island of sorts that party can get into pretty quickly (by buying ticket in first city building close to Arena, Middlegate for 5K gold) is Murray's Resort - and i myself been traped to death into this place at least one time, so i can feel your pain : ]

Non-linearity in Might & Magic 2 appealing to me, but this also related to different path of how i got into playing Might & Magic 2 myself (actually, completed first game before, so most less appealing aspects been plausable for me) and i think this game still is more fun with most of CRON being open for exploration from beginning.

Yeah, back then (circa 1990) I was pretty new to RPGs and didn't grasp the concept that if an area was way too tough in non-linear RPGs, just lvl up and come back later. I assumed I was stuck on that Island of Death or possibly didn't have any money to return. It's been so many years. The next M&M game I played was a few years later with M&M VI which I thought was fucking great and managed to complete. Then I tried M&M VII immediately after that which was a big mistake because I was already starting to get a bit burnt out after playing the rather long VI. I should have waited a couple of years because it seemed like an equally awesome game. So I ruined the experience by not taking a reasonable break between the two games and quit after I got trapped in a troll cave and couldn't be arsed to find my way out. I've learned since then to pace myself better and now I prefer shorter games to prevent burnout.

Always wanted to play World of Xeen and I did attempt to play it under DosBox several times but I hated that it didn't run perfectly smooth on that emulator with my preferred input device of a mouse. I've since installed the SCUMMVM version of WoX in my Launchbox and it runs great under that so I should give it another go. I heard the best port of M&M II was on the SNES. At least it looked the best in terms of graphics.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM2 was my first M&M game (first one available for the Amiga), and I think it was the first second one after The Bard's Tale.
After I completed the game, I used to roll new characters and do the starting town and dungeon, then roll new characters again and do the starting town and dungeon again. Replaying the whole game was too much, but those two first areas were perfect and just difficult enough that my characters were not guranteed of surviving the challenge course (or proving grunds).

Dorateen

Arcane
azimovhaas8 (Moth)

Great Let's Play, can never have enough Blobber adventures. Did you ever meet the famous Lord Haart? Traveling back in time to fight Spaz Twit was one of his quests, along with another ancestor in another century that he asks the party to encounter. Also, I was going to mention, I thought you can visit the Dead Zone before it became the Dead Zone by going back in time. You might find something there.

azimovhaas8 (Moth)

Great Let's Play, can never have enough Blobber adventures. Did you ever meet the famous Lord Haart? Traveling back in time to fight Spaz Twit was one of his quests, along with another ancestor in another century that he asks the party to encounter. Also, I was going to mention, I thought you can visit the Dead Zone before it became the Dead Zone by going back in time. You might find something there.

Thank you, Dorateen! And i plan to play more similar games, because *yeah* Blobber adventures are totally worth it :)

Lord Haart is actually a first hero i started in Heroes of Might & Magic 1 playing as Knight, so here some good memories, hehe. But i missed some encounters (Lord Slayer's quests, Door to Hell, for example) and i never meet up with Lord Haart, sadly.
Now i been thinking... In one of earlier posts i found "Day 93" clue by paying gold to beggars - and i think epicenter of fallout zone actually can be place for Starburst spell, if i can Teleport myself in this cell in relevant day.

RanaDinn

Literate
I always enjoy seeing a LP of the Might and Magic games. I never played them when they were originally out (more of an Ultima fan back then) but I loved them when I played them later in life. I've even enjoyed playing the different ports (including an odd SNES one only ever released in Japan) simply because there can be so much to do and see. I'm especially fond of M&M 2 because it seemed to be more distinctive than the first game or the ones that followed (although 3-5 are fun in a different way. It's sort of like Dungeon Master vs Wizardry I guess.)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Entrapment (6-2) after casting monsters cannot run from battle (+ 6 gems). Literal garbage without much even hidden uses - usually monsters that run from combat are too weak to even waste high-level spell on them.

azimovhaas8 (Moth), this spell can in fact be extremely useful.
Consider this battle, for example:
setJYPC.jpg

You really don't want to face 10 Mega Trolls (or something like Dark Knights who also have missile attacks) in one round.
By casting Entrapment you can use the much weaker enemies as a buffer, since they won't be able run way, and you can deal with the Mega Trolls one at a time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom