Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Myth: The Fallen Lords

DraQ

Arcane
When it comes to Sapkowski I'd definitely try Witcher.
Besides that, not all fantasy works are even passingly similar to what Sapkowski writes, and it's not that the Witcher Saga, while p. good, has ever aspired to be something more than upper-mid-shelf reading fodder.

When it comes to Sapkowski I'd definitely try Witcher.
Besides that, not all fantasy works are even passingly similar to what Sapkowski writes, and it's not that the Witcher Saga, while p. good, has ever aspired to be something more than upper-mid-shelf reading fodder.

It's probably my double standards. I am all smug for ignoring fantasy novels while keep jerking off to Bukowski and Hłasko who sometimes, to put it lightly, also did not write things that could compete with Dostojewski or Joyce. But enough of my dislike for fantasy novels. I took a little break, but break is over and I should start updating this LP today.

Seven Gates

Seven Gates
Sunday December 7, Seven Gates.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

So someone told Watcher that Deceiver tried to find his hand. There is only one use for Watcher's hand so it's no wonder that he got pissed and bitchslapped Deceiver. In theory it would be fortunate thing for us, two armies that got us surrounded fighting each other, but Deceiver tend to follow his own agenda and was not most reliable Fallen Lord. And now we are being hunted by one guy, who don't care about his losses, instead of two that hated each others guts and sooner would let us go than cooperated in hunting us. Well fuck.

1.jpg

Ok, Deceiver army was defeated by Watcher and there is not much left of it. Command sent us here to locate and finish off Deceiver's Shade. And this time it actually makes sense (unlike Ambush at devil's overlook) because Shades are dungerous as fuck, and this one is trapped in flooded area (Shades are afraid of water). Problem is, I don't remember how to fight Shade and encounter with Sinis was scripted so he seemed like little bitch, unfortunately other Shades are not like that.

2.jpg

First thing you probably noticed is that warriors are back. I actually missed them, berserkers may be better melee units but warriors look damn MAJESTIC in those chainmails (byrnie? I don't know, long-ass chainmail). Also, we didn't get any dwarfs which is a shame.

3.jpg

Undead are fighting among themselves so we can move forward almost unharassed.

4.jpg

But there is quite large undead force north of us and they have a lot of Fetches. Also there is similar group south-east of them, we simply should try to make them fight with each other. I tried this mission yesterday but I forgot how to Myth and I tried to fight them. Believe it or not, I actually won but took serious casualties and I was tired and decided to restart this mission today.

5.jpg

So we told Bevis to lure them south.

6.jpg

And they started to fight.

7.jpg

We order archers to pick off Fetches while they are busy casting bolts of lightning on thralls.

8.jpg

And they are gone. Too bad I didn't thought of this yesterday. We decide to look for Shade where the group without Fetches came from.

9.jpg

Area certainly is flooded but dwarf still would be very useful.

10.jpg

Another large undead group is coming. We order our archers to shoot them a little and then fall back.

11.jpg

After a while undead turned around and I thought we are supposed to abuse their AI in order to get past them.

12.jpg

But they changed direction because they are under attack by other undead force.

13.jpg

We order archers to shoot Fetches.

14.jpg

And yeah, all those Thralls were killed by fetches lightning bolts in matter of seconds.

15.jpg

We managed to kill all lightning bolt wielding bitches but were forced to retreat our archers because Thralls got too close. Warriors would have easy time dealing with thralls but retardo archers AI decided to block their way and just fucking stand there.

16.jpg

And then retardo AI decided to shoot one archer in the back and kill him. But we are done with undead and can continue our search for isolated Shade.

17.jpg

More undead in-fighting. We will late them finish...

18.jpg

And behind them is our target. I know he can cast dispersal dream (spell Alric used to kill Sinis bodyguards) but I don't know how many times...

19.jpg

So we will order our archers to shoot him while keeping distance and then send warriors one by one, until Shade is dead or out of dispersal dreams.

20.jpg

He didn't even bothered to use magic against our first warrior and just stabs him with his sword.

21.jpg

He killed first warrior and then used dispersal dream against second one. But since nobody stands near our second warrior, dispersal dreams hits only him.

22.jpg

Amazingly, second warrior survived so we order him to attack before Shade gets near our archers.

23.jpg

first two warriors died by Shade's sword so we send third one. He's surely very happy about this.

24.jpg

But Shade ignored him and went straight for archers. I already prepare to see them explode one by one...

25.jpg

But they killed him before he reached them. And judging by two gems he dropped, he could still use dispersal dream two times... maybe he just wanted to die.

debrief.jpg

I think game counted undead kills as ours because I'm sure as hell we didn't killed that many Thralls.

This was very short and quite easy mission, but it marks first proper Legion journey beyond Cloudspine Mountains. and there is only one place not entirely occupied by Fallen Lords there. Home of race that once fought Trows and survived - Forest Heart.

Toothache kinda fucked my upload speed. I ran out of reliable painkillers and had to deal with some dodgy substitute that didn't quite worked. It's sort of OKish today so I hope I will make proper update. Since fucking wisdom tooth was killing me I couldn't force myself to play Myth because it would be obvious in update that I'm not enjoying it at all. So when painkillers start working (sort of...) I decided to read bullshit I wrote so far. I can't judge quality of my own LP's but I noticed some things that I wrote that were simply wrong:

Trow's are not creation of Wyrd, they are creation of Nyx and Balor didn't promised them anything, he simply released them from their melted city for word of honor to serve him. And this word of honor to specific person kinda bit Dark in the ass in the sequel. But the rest was right, they are not evil.

Myrmidons actually ARE NOT undead. On one screenshot I used mandrake root and I thought it was killing him, It wasn't. It was actually healing him but unit's healed by mandrake root are paralyzed for couple of seconds and myrmidon was killed by berserker while he was paralyzed. I checked units statistics and it turned out that they are actually living creatures.

Also, Rabican wasn't sent to kill The Watcher. It didn't makes sense that most powerful Avatara would risk fighting Fallen Lord that simply could not be killed. Rabican was surprised by Watcher while he was doing "something else". Watcher then simply walked past Deceiver army annihilating it and presumably, killing Deceiver himself. But I don't think that what Watcher was supposed to do, it proves that he is most powerful Fallen Lord, but he's also mentally unstable (hence his nickname Mad Goat of the Fens) to the point of disobeying his orders to kill another Fallen Lord AND walking right through army of most powerful Avatara in the process.

So I wasn't in good enough state to do LP but I was updating my "Myth lore" so it's not like I'm completely useless. Also I was talking about "my theory" of the Head's origins which I made after plying Myth 1 and 2 when I was kid. Funny thing is, Myth 3 didn't came out yet then, and "my theory" is actually what MumboJumbo told in their Myth 3 Wolf Age. So it's fucking good thing I don't write plots for games...

Forest Heart

Forest Heart
Tuesday May 19, The Edge of Forest Heart.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

Aww shiet, Soublighta!

cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

cut4.jpg

My preciousss...

1.jpg

We are welcomed in this mission by getting slaughterd. Fortunately, those are only our scouts. It would be nice to have them alive but since there is Trow there, there's no fucking chance.

2.jpg

We have control over those guys though, so I ordered them to attack Trow in vain hope of damaging it a little.

3.jpg

This is our main force. Again, no dwarfs but a lot of archers and berserkers.

4.jpg

We saw it matey. Get your ass over here before those three Myrmidons behind you cut you to pieces...

5.jpg

We shoot myrmidons while mysterious rest of our troops are coming to join us.

6.jpg

Myrmies are getting chopped by berserkers and reinfrocements are here...

7.jpg

Yup, suck it down Trows! we got forest giants!
Cool looking buggers. I don't know what convinced them to join us again, but that doesn't matter, I'm happy they are here. They are "giant" type unit just like Trow's and I don't think there is any difference between those two other than different sprite. They both pretty much instantly kill lesser units and turn to stone when their health reaches 25%.
But! in campaign you will never be given enough forest giants to counter Trow's so you still have to watch out.

8.jpg

Our mission is to find and kill four Trow generals of Soublighter army. Legion is so fucking badass that their reaction to "SOULBLIGHTA IS HERE!" is "LET'S KILL HIS GENERALS!". Also, we can't select all our units, there's too much of them. I thought RTS's had this shit figured out after first Age of Empires, but no. Oh, did I mentioned that Soulblighter is immortal? and not "I can only be harmed by magic mcguffin made of me" or "I don't die of old age but I can be killed", Soulblighter is straight up fucking Immortal and cannot be killed. He was like that even before Balor arrived. But he have not other skills beyond that.

9.jpg

We march our 1st Merry Company of Forest Heart slightly east and we find a bridge. Bridge is guarded by Soulless so we use standard tactics to kill them (dancing 'zerks and shooting fir'Bolgs)

10.jpg

I botched it a little and berserker got wounded but whatever, bridge is ours and we can continue.

11.jpg

Actually, we can't continue just yet. Thralls waiting under water ambushed us. We order everyone to fall back a little.

12.jpg

Then we shoot thralls with archers and wait for them to attack.

13.jpg

We killed couple before Thralls decided to attack.

14.jpg

Also, thanks to minimap, we spotted approaching Trow.

15.jpg

We send our three tree-dawgs to deal with Trow.

16.jpg

Morningwood? I did not change his name, fucking Bungie...

17.jpg

3 to 1, Trow is fucked. I didn't send any berserkers to support because it would be certain death for them if Trow decided to attack them instead of one of the Treedudes.

18.jpg

Trow died and we order treedudes to fall back. There is no point in loosing their health on thralls.

19.jpg

Archers reduced numbers of thralls so we order berserkers to chop remaining undead to pieces.

20.jpg

We order one tree-dawg to bitchslap thrall because it's fun as hell!

21.jpg

We chopped thralls to pieces and now we can finally get over the bridge.

22.jpg

We encounter some random Soulless patrol near the bridge but they didn't put much of a resistance.

23.jpg

On the other side of the bridge few myrmidons run in circles not reacting to our archers at all. So we put game at 16x speed and wait...

24.jpg

Myrmies? u no AI?!

25.jpg

More myrmidons, but those at least run away from our archers.

26.jpg

And our old friends, Thrall-Soulless duo. It's bloody obvious that Myrmidons will attack when thralls get close so we are going to watch out.

27.jpg

We order our archers to shoot and send couple of berserkers to either force undead to split their forces or kill separated Soulless.

28.jpg

Myrmidons attacked surprising absolutely nobody. We send 'zerks and treedudes to deal with them.

29.jpg

30.jpg

Then we order archers to pick off soulless while rest is falling back.

31.jpg

32.jpg

Awww shieeet! now we are fucking surrounded...

33.jpg

We order 'zerks and treedudes to come back because close combat is inevit...ive... sure as fuck.

34.jpg

Meanwhile we try to dodge thralls with archers but that's not going to work very well because archers are not much faster than thralls.

35.jpg

Two archers got killed but it could be worse.

36.jpg

37.jpg

Ok, everything is under control now.

38.jpg

We are beaten up a little bit, but since we don't have journeyman we will have to deal with it.

39.jpg

We are moving closer to place where our scouts got killed. We spotted some myrmidons so we prepare to defend ourselves.

40.jpg

Unfortunately our archers won't be very effective because of trees. But every little bit damage they do mean's one less slash of berserkers claymore.

41.jpg

It won't help our treedudes though, they one-shot pretty much everything.

42.jpg

43.jpg

We killed myrmidons but our units keep moving and I was not sure what the hell...

44.jpg

Oh, Trow. YOU ARE NOT SCARY ANYMORE!

45.jpg

We attack him with forest giants and then order berserkers to butt-fuck him.

46.jpg

And he's dead. I don't know if they count as "generals" but if they do, we already kill two of four.

47.jpg

Loosing those two archers have it bright sides. Now we can select all our units.

48.jpg

We move slightly to the right because there are less trees here.

49.jpg

We send one berserker to scout ahead and make enemies come to us.

50.jpg

Unfortunately, enemy choose to approach from side that gives them some cover.

51.jpg

Archers are falling back and I ordered berserkers to split into two groups.

52.jpg

53.jpg

We killed myrmidons and now we are in process of swarming Trow.

54.jpg

He went down in matter of seconds. Now we regroup and send another berserker to lure more enemies here.

55.jpg

Scout failed to lure anyone so we have to move. We put our troops near place where our scouts died and then we send berserker to look for enemy further.

56.jpg

He found some. Actually, he found quite a few but no Trow among them so luring them might have been stupid idea.

57.jpg

Too fucking late to change our mind now.

58.jpg

Myrmidons got too close so we must retreat our archers and engage them in melee.

59.jpg

There is really a lot of myrmidons and our berserkers are badly wounded so I'm prepare to take few casualties.

60.jpg

My only goal is to kill undead without loosing any treedudes.

61.jpg

We lost 2 berserkers but myrmidons are dead. We order everyone to fall back and let archers weaken thralls.

62.jpg

Thralls are almost dead so we will just mop them up with treedudes.

63.jpg

This was completely pointless. Only thing we achived was loosing two berserkers and getting our forest giants even more wounded. But I hoped that Soulblighter was among this group so I could show him to you. I think he is on this map somwhere (Actually, he also was on Flight from Covenant map but I didn't bother to look for him there).

64.jpg

Then I looked for Soulblighta a little more, forgot to save the game and then loaded. So I done this pointless battle again, didn't loose anyone this time. It's a fair cop but society is to blame...

65.jpg

There are no Trow anywhere around here so we crossed water and started looking on tiny islands in the north. Some Thralls tried to ambush us but they came out of water too soon and we manage to kill them with archers.

66.jpg

We continue our island hopping keeping formation in case of another ambush.

67.jpg

After taking few steps we were attacked by Myrmidons. We order berserker to flank them and tell our archers step aside and make way for tree-dawgs.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

Then Trow arrived so we ordered our least damage treedude to "tank" him while rest slap the shit out of him.

71.jpg

He managed to get one treedude below 25% of health but died shortly after. Then we heard crows...

72.jpg

Holy crap...

73.jpg

debrief.jpg

Fortunately paralyzing forest giant does not count as kill so he should be back if we ever are to use forest giants again.

And now about Soulblighter and his immortality. Soublighta done some self-mutilation experiments on him and it gave him immortality, no weapon magical or normal can kill him. Even most powerful sword in Myth universe cannot finish him. He can be defeated in combat though, if someone managed to beat him unconscious we could use confinement dream to trap him or simply chop the fucker to pieces and let him live in this state. But it would be pretty hard since he is most powerful melee fighter in the world AND only known creature that can shapeshift. He can change into murder of crows when in danger so he can easily escape when overwhelmed.

He's badass fighter but have absolutely no magical abilities and this makes him strange choice for Fallen Lord since every other Fallen is powerful sorcerer. Shiver was master of dream duels, even though she got defetead in one by Rabican (but Rabican got help of the Head). The Watcher is first and most powerful nercomancer in the world and can raise whole armies of undead at will. Full power of Deceiver is known only to Deceiver himself but it's safe to say that he knows few magical tricks. We don't know anything about other two Fallen Lords, Bungie never even given their names but they are also presumably magicians. Soulblighter can only chop shit with his glaive but he was not only been chosen by Balor as one of the Fallen Lords but he was made his second in command. Immortality alone could not be the reason for this choice because Watcher is also pretty much impossible to kill. I don't think I will spoil anything if I say that Fallen Lords and Balor even after their change still have some memories of their past incarnations, and that's why Soulblighter was given such high rank. Soulblighter knows some things...

Heart of the Stone

Heart of the Stone
Date Unknown, inside the Tain.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

So we got our asses trapped inside some magic mcguffin. Actually, not only we were trapped, Soulblighta took his time to trap ENTIRE fucking legion in this box. This was his brilliant idea I was talking about earlier. I also said he fucked up execution of this idea, well if you have read briefing for Forest Heart you know that Legion had 2 Avataras with them...

3.jpg

Balin's not here so we have to find our own way out...

4.jpg

We moved north and found some strange pillar. We send berserker to investigate.

5.jpg

Pillar starts to glow when berserker got neart it. It gives you a hint what to do since mission objective only tell us to find a way out, it doesn't tell us how.

6.jpg

Shortly after we put berserker near the pillar cave spiders dropped on us from the ceiling. Spiders are weakest units in the game but they are also fastest.

7.jpg

We order berserkers to kill spiders and everyone else to fall back. Dwarfs and archers can't fight in melee so they will be killed not matter how weak unit attacks them.

8.jpg

Now we can continue to look for other pillars.

9.jpg

We move north and then order our berserker to charge forward because I know that game is going to pull off some bullshit.

10.jpg

Two Fetches and three ghols teleports near us. If we kept advancing steadily we would be completely fucked since two archers are would not be able to kill borth Fetches on Legendary before they cast their lightning bolts.

11.jpg

So we just put berserkers exactly where they teleported in and chop them to pieces.

12.jpg

Then cave spiders drops from ceiling. Cave spiders are neutral and will attack both light and dark units. I think they are supposed to drop in shortly after Fetches arrive and give you chance to kill fetches with archers. It didn't worked for my so I just killed fetches with berserkers.

13.jpg

And then dealt with spiders.

14.jpg

Meanwhile, more Legion soldiers got sucked into the Tain, so we received reinforcements.

15.jpg

Now we have three archers. It will help if we are to encounter more Fetches here.

16.jpg

We were close to another pillar when I heard lightning bolts. Probably spiders are fighting some fetches.

17.jpg

Yup, dead spiders. We prepare our archers in case that Fetches survived this fight.

18.jpg

Nothing is coming at us thogh. So we send one dude to look what happend there.

19.jpg

Two spiders. It looks like Fetches lost this fight. Spiders may be weak but they are fast and can easily kill Fetch if they manage to get close to her.

20.jpg

Archers killed them and now we can check if this pillar is also spider-trap.

21.jpg

We activated it and nothing happened.

22.jpg

So we will just leave it alone for now and continue our way.

23.jpg

We send few berserkers as a scouts this time. And they got ambushed by spiders.

24.jpg

Then Ghols and Fetches appeard so we told them to fall and let archers deal with them.

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I heard Fetch "dying sound" and thought that some random spiders got her but then I noticed new green dots on minimap. Inside the Tain game don't inform you with "New Units Received" so you have to watch for things like that.

28.jpg

Fortunately remianing Fetch decided to hit berserker with lightning bolt and then got killed by dwarf.

29.jpg

After first group was finished with Ghols (and two small spider waves) we joined our forces and get ready to move to the next pillar.

30.jpg

This pillar also didn't spawned anything deadly so we continue to another one.

31.jpg

More spiders fighting dark units. We order archers to target Fetch and let spiders deal with Ghols.

32.jpg

33.jpg

Spiders may have very low health but they attack quickly and were able to kill Ghols.

34.jpg

35.jpg

We reached last pillar nad noticed one Fetch with some Ghol friends. We order our archers to form a line and get ready to shoot fetch.

36.jpg

37.jpg

They managed to kill it but just barely before it managed to fire it's lightining bolt.

38.jpg

It's pretty obvious that in order to finish this mission we need to activate all four pillars by putting unit near it. One unit will do but I decided to leave more just in case of some random spider patrol. Then we proceed to activate remaning three pillars.

39.jpg

We got ambushed on our way but since we move in large group we can easily manage few spiders.

40.jpg

Putting units near all four pillars activated bridge in center of the map. We now must leave one unit near each pillar and get the rest of our soldiers here. You will be constantly attacked be spiders while moving here and that's why its a good idea to leave larger group of units near corner pillars. They can join up when bridge is activated and they won't get killed by spiders while moving here.

41.jpg

We order everyone to move to the strange cave on the other side of the bridge leaving for berserkers to starve to death...

42.jpg

debrief.jpg

No Casualties... well, technically those four berserkers are not dead... yet.

No casualties? That won't keep up.

Especially after those four berserkers starve to death heh. Damn I wish Myth had some sort of "campaign statistic" keeping track of all casualties and kills of individual units, who they killed and what finally killed them. It's not vital feature so no point in crying over lack of it, but still it would be very nice. I wonder if Project Magma could do something like that since they have Myth source code...

The Smiths of Muirthemne

The Smits of Muirthemne
Date Unknown, Inside the Tain.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

I'm all for releasing Legion from the Tain Murgen, but what about...

fwiffo.jpg

THE ULTIMATE EEEEVIL!

1.jpg

Let's not worry about releasing horrors of Myrkridia upon the earth just yet. We are still inside the Tain and our objective now is to "outsmart" the traps guarding exit of this prison. I totally forgot what I'm supposed to do in this mission. In fact, I forgot about this mission even existed so it should be fun.

2.jpg

Mysterious, evil looking pillar inside ancient magical artifact of tremendous power... LET'S GO TOUCH IT!

3.jpg

It glows just like the previous ones...

4.jpg

But then it cast lighnint bolt. Let's not touch it again, and go somwhere else...

5.jpg

We turned around (which is more work in Myth than it sounds) and we are ready to look for exit elswhere.

6.jpg

Then more units got sucked into the Tain.

7.jpg

We are too close for archers to do anything so we order them to fall back, together with dwarfs.

8.jpg

Then fight begun, and by the look of it we should be fine.

9.jpg

One of two new berserkers died.

10.jpg

Then another got killed...

11.jpg

So it's like those reinforcement didn't happend at all. Well, tough luck. We regroup and continue our search for exit.

12.jpg

We encounter more pillars but I decided to leave them alone for now. Then we were attacked by spiders when we approached something that looks like portal.

13.jpg

We quickly killed spiders and now we proceed to investigate this strange portal.

14.jpg

Portal does absolutely nothing right now, so we will have to find a way to get past lightning shooting pillars.

15.jpg

Remembering last mission we put one berserker near the pillar to activate it, but not too close because it would kill him.

16.jpg

Then we move to other pillars. There are some spiders here but they don't react to being shot at all so we just kill them with archers.

17.jpg

We put one berserker near it but pillar does not react to his presence.

18.jpg

We moved our soldiers past it and it didn't killed us!

19.jpg

More spiders, but they also don't do anything even though they are being shot.

20.jpg

Spiders finally decided to attack. There is Queen spider among them so we make her priority target for our archers.

21.jpg

She's fast as hell and managed to engage our berserkers.

22.jpg

She even paralyzed one, but died shortly after.

23.jpg

We killed rest of the spiders and order Eri the Dwarf to pick up glowing item which is lies among the spider eggs.

24.jpg

Now we got some glowing ball and we move to next pillar (leaving one berserker near this one just in case).

We had exactly same encounter with spider in every other pillar. Only two had minor difference so I will show you only those two.

25.jpg

After killing spiders near south-western pillar we proceeded to pick-up another glowing ball.

26.jpg

Then few myrmidons got sucked into the Tain.

27.jpg

Fortunately they teleported close to our berserker so we deafeated them easily. Then we picked-up glowing ball and moved to the last pillar (one in the north-west).

28.jpg

Even though we left one berserker near each pillar this one is still activated. So we ordered every 'zerk to move away from pillars...

29.jpg

Then some spiders spawned near south-eastern pillar and raped our berserker there. We immidiately send reinforcements to remaning two.

30.jpg

Reinforcements arrived in time and we managed to fend of spider ambush. Then we left one berserker near north-eastern pillar and this deactivated pillar in the north-west. We had standard spiders-spider queen encounter there and we picked up glowing ball.

31.jpg

We told our dwarfs to throw glowing balls in a hole near the portal (they do it automatically when moved close to the hole).

32.jpg

And then ordered everyone to go through the portal. And that's it, most exciting part was this spider ambush near the end to be honest.

debrief.jpg

A Bridge too Far Sons of Myrgard

Sons of Myrgard
Sunday May 23, Near Myrgard.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

Yeah, traping Legion in the Tain was very good idea, but Soulblighter should leave two Avatara alone or just killed them. Thanks to those two we not only escaped the Tain, we destroyed the damn thing freeing rest of the Legion.

cut1.jpg

I wish Balin would hurry up...

This is the story of one little Dwarf that Could. Story of bravery, subterfuge and courage. Story of will made of iron and bombs made of exploding shit. This story has absolutely no morals or point, it's all about chucking flaming crap at Ghols. A Fable of sorts, this is the story of Balin the pathfinder and liberation of Myrgard...

Mandatory custom song that has absolutely nothing to do with the game...

Man has an invincible inclination to allow himself to be deceived and is, as it were, enchanted with happiness when the rhapsodist tells him epic fables as if they were true

Oh, and Nietzsche quote...

1.jpg

We start as Balin the pathfinder and our mission is to get through the gate to Myrgard and then drop flare so proper attack force may come. Dropped on parachutes... from dwarven ballons. If you bitched about "Omaha mission" in Myth 2, here you have fucking Market Garden.

2.jpg

We have to get past Ghol patrols. They can't see us, but they can hear us. I don't know how it works to be honest... My tip is to keep walking.

3.jpg

Like so.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I got spotted twice trying this. First time patrolling Ghol walked right on me so that's fair. Second time one Ghol that was quite far away "heard me", and that's strange because I walked near Ghols on multiple ocassion and nothing happened. But this is no Thief so no wonder that stealthy parts don't work perfectly.

7.jpg

We reached place guarded by Soulless, I don't know if this is Myrgard gate but we have to find our way through it anyway.

8.jpg

This is Balin's plan.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Ok, fuck the plan. Let's just go in straight line...

11.jpg

Another Soulless guard station.

12.jpg

13.jpg

This is how we can avoid being spotted by carefully choosing our every step...

14.jpg

Or we can just walk in straight line, it also works...

15.jpg

Ok, now we have to find good place to fire up our flare.

16.jpg

This place looks nice enough.

17.jpg

Commence operation Dwarven Garden!

18.jpg

19.jpg

One unfortunate dorf fall to his death when his parachute didnt't open. He will be remembered. If anyone actually knows his name.

20.jpg

We order to throw bombs at enemies in range and then try to move every dwarf to one place. We are surrounded and we have to keep together in order to survive this.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Dwarfs that survived being dropped do their best to fend of Ghols and Soulles while Balin shouts at everyone to quickly move to our landing zone because Polish Drop has been delayed and Gerry is already bringing Panthers because one drop landed too far from their landing zone and failed to take bridge in Arnhem... and we are out of amunition... for king and country!

dwarf.jpg

Goddamit Balin get your shit together!

23.jpg

24.jpg

Months of being alone behind enemy lines may have taken it's toll on Balin's mind, but not on his skills.

25.jpg

He throws very fast, in straight line and never misses.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

We are relatively safe in our defensive position because Ghols amazed by Balin's fury don't have guts to come close. But we also have no means of killing them.

30.jpg

But then Balin jumps out from his foxhole...

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

dwarf.jpg

Balin for gods sake! cover this fools ass!

34.jpg

35.jpg

dwarf.jpg

Watch out! they are coming from the north!

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

dwarf.jpg

I don't know what the fuck he was talking about but Ghols are dead!

41.jpg

42.jpg

We abandon our defensive position and prepare to hunt down more Ghols.

43.jpg

Wights cage. Fallen Lords create Wight by sawing bodies of fresh undead shut by powerful magic and waiting till their corpse bloats with poisonous gas. Apparently Wights still feel pain even though they are undead. This suppose to make them more willing to detonate themselves. It doesn't makes sense to me, if that's true, they probably would keep detonating themselves no matter if any enemies are near.

44.jpg

Ghols guarding Wights decided to attack. Poor choice since they are facing Balin.

45.jpg

46.jpg

Now we proceed to essplode those bloated abominations.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

And now we can continue looking for Ghols.

51.jpg

52.jpg

Ghols sitting near another cage. They try to keep their distance so we have to force them to attack.

53.jpg

Wight pieces. Not very surprising since there were a lot of wights here.

54.jpg

After explosion Ghols finally atacked. They probably carry pieces of wights so we have to watch out.

55.jpg

56.jpg

One remaning Ghol run away and we were unable to catch him. This is bad because he probably took some wight pieces with him.

57.jpg

Two ghols attacked us letting granade carrying ghol escape.

58.jpg

59.jpg

Well, we exact our revenge on his friends and now we can continue our hunt.

60.jpg

We have found some caves. Ghols probably use them as houses and some of them might still be inside.

61.jpg

But we have to deal with those roaming outside first.

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

Ghols are finally coming out from the caves.

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

Another wave.

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

And now we go north to look for more Ghols. We were moving around looking for caves and clearing them of Ghols. I will show some of it because exploding Ghols are fun.

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

And that was the last one.

debrief.jpg

139 kills and 86 of them by Balin!

The Road North (With five codexers)

The Road North
Sunday June 15, The edge of Dire Marsh.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

cut1.jpg

cut2.jpg

cut3.jpg

What bullshit are you going to dig out this time?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Some unfortunate fir'Bolg got his ass ambushed and chopped to pieces. But worst thing is that he lost his magic bow. Our mission is to find this bow and bring it back. Importance of this bow is so huge that legion decided to send his finest to recover it, that is:

Azira
Anus Pounder
Darth Roxor
Major Blackhart
Eklektyk

(I opened random page on my SotHR LP and took names of those who commented, so it's not that I hate them and made them warriors in Myth)

All of them are warriors because archers are necessary to finish this mission and we cannot loose them.

I decided to name soldiers after codexers because in this mission we have very managable number of units so it will be very easy to keep track of our five heroes.

3.jpg

We put our soldiers in formation and start our search for magic bow. We also try to keep as far from the water as we can.

4.jpg

There is turn to the left so we decide to check it first.

5.jpg

Keeping far from the water does not guarantee safety. We got ambushed by Thralls.

6.jpg

We don't have enough warriors to send teams of two at each thralls. Azira will have to fight alone.

7.jpg

He got support of the archers though.

8.jpg

Major Blackhart chopped one thrall to pieces and we order him to help Azira.

9.jpg

Epic shield-block by our viking friend. Very cinematic.

10.jpg

And last Thrall died.

11.jpg

We got only slightly scratched.

Kill count:

Major Blackhart: 1
Azira: 1
Darth Roxor: 1
Anus Pounder: 0
Eklektyk: 0

12.jpg

Lone Soulless try to attack us. We order archers to shoot him while Anus Pounder avoids javelins.

13.jpg

Soulless died and Anus didn't got hit even by one javelin. Which is quite a feat since this is night mission and javelins are hard to see in darkness.

14.jpg

And here is the bow.

15.jpg

We killed two thralls standing near it with archers and now we order ma'Pungu to pick it up.
Certainly no terrible scripted event will happen when we pick it up!

16.jpg

AMBUSH!

17.jpg

Eklektyk, Roxor and Blackhart try to quickly chop two thralls to pieces because we need to fall back and those two are blocking way for our archers. Meanwhile Azira and Anus Pounder check if way back is clear.

18.jpg

It's not fucking clear at all. We order Anus to join the rest.

19.jpg

Anus then quickly jumps into the water making way for ma'Pungu to use magic bow.

21.jpg

Bow kills all thralls in one shot. We lost one archer but our five heroes are still alive and kicking chopping.

22.jpg

Last thrall died and we are ready to get the fuck out of here.

Kill Count:

Azira: 3
Major Blackhart: 2
Eklektyk: 2
Anus Pounder: 1

23.jpg

We are being chased by army of thralls so we move fast. Unfortunately moving fast keeps us out of formation.

24.jpg

And we walked straight into a trap. Major Blackhart will be chopped to pieces by thralls, unless he pull of some ninja shit.

25.jpg

Major Blackhart somehow slipped through thralls axes dragging some of them away from the rest. This gave us chance to kill few thralls.

26.jpg

27.jpg

Darth Roxor is badly wounded so I told him to guard archers in case of another ambush.

28.jpg

Major Blackhart joined with the rest and wy try to fall back while making way for archer to use magic bow.

29.jpg

30.jpg

It killed few but we are still being chased.

31.jpg

We used bow one more time and now our five heroes must cut their way through thralls.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

And they done it! and no one died.

Kill count:

Azira: 5
Major Blackhart: 5
Eklektyk: 3
Anus Pounder: 2

35.jpg

Soulles and Fetches block our way. Archer with magic bow should deal with them easily.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

We got ambushed again, but it's just three thralls this time.

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

More Fetch-Soulles duo.

43.jpg

44.jpg

POOF!

45.jpg

And we escaped with the bow! and all five codexers survived.

Final Kill Count:

Major Blackhart: 6
Eklektyk: 5

debrief.jpg

Fucking spoiler in debriefing screen...

How five brave codexers stopped Soulblighter.

Across the Gjol

Across the Gjol
Wednesday June 24, The South Bank of the Gjol.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

Alric is oficially insane. First, he left Western provinces to fight Fallen Lords alone. Now he split Legion leaving small group to stop Soulblighter army while the rest attacks The Watcher. He is insane... or he has a plan.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Our five codexers are still with us, and fortunately none of them is this pussy that wants to retreat. This comes as no surprise. Would Eklektyk who killed 5 Thralls want to retreat? or Azira, who presonally killed six? Or Darth Roxor who defended archers with his badly wounded body? or Anus Pounder who walked right into group of Thralls not because of his shitty pathfinding but his unstoppable courage? and don't even ask Major Blackhart about retreating! he killed as many thralls as Azira!

Five codexers are going to stay on this side of Gjol. As victorious warriors are maimed corpse chopped to pieces by thralls.

3.jpg

Captain Garwin decides that Floridas and rest of the faggots who are afraid of Soulblighter can guard left flank. He and five codexers will guard right.

4.jpg

Then imaginary scouts sounded imaginary alarm horns, because fucking Alric left us here alone.

Garwin.jpg

So it begins... Prepare the archers and the dwarfs. Rest of you, wait for my signal.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Garwin.jpg

They are too close! Right flank, attack!

9.jpg

And attack they did.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

First wave was stopped. And our five heroes have only minor wounds and scratches.

Kill count:

Eklektyk: 9
Major Blackhart: 7
Darth Roxor: 3

13.jpg

14.jpg

Soulblighter sends Wights to weaken us. We give three archers to each flank to deal with this threat.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Explosion on our left flank was so huge that it propelled some wight pieces straight into our lines. Fortunately no one got hit.

19.jpg

We spotted Fetch. No doubt there will be more of them.

20.jpg

Wight attack failed and Soulblighter sends another wave of thralls. Even tought weather is terrible, dwarfs should be able to deal with thralls.

21.jpg

While left flank is fending off thralls we order our archers to kill Fetch before they will get too close.

22.jpg

One dwarf on left flank died. I have no idea how this happened.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Another wave stopped. We order dwarfs to pickup their fallen comrade satchel charges and the n we prepare for another attack.

26.jpg

Some thrall were spotted on our right.

27.jpg

And then more on our left, with Soulless.

28.jpg

Whole shitton of Soulless.

29.jpg

Left flank cannot stop them. We need to fall back and defend somwhere else.

30.jpg

We order warriors to attack and cover retreating archers.

31.jpg

Codexers flank is doing well though.

32.jpg

Left flank is doing their best to delay soulles but dwarfs bombs are useless because poor weather.

33.jpg

Meanwhile codexers prepare to charge remaning thralls.

34.jpg

Left flank broke. We don't have anywhere to retreat. This is our last stand.

35.jpg

We order what is left of left flank to join with codexers.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

We order Journeyman to heal who he can before we begin our last attack.

39.jpg

Last attack begins.

40.jpg

Codexers fight in the south while rest tries to lure some thralls somwhere else.

41.jpg

Anus Pounder died. First to fight and first to fall. You will be revered by whole Legion for your shitty pathfinding courage!

42.jpg

But the rest must keep fighting.

43.jpg

Azira and Darth Roxor fall back, they don't have chance against four thralls supported by soulless, and their help is needed elsewhere.

44.jpg

Eklektyk and Major Blackhart stay to stop Soulless and chop marauding thrall.

45.jpg

Eklektyk fall. Major Blackhart can't even protect his body from being desacrated. We need every soldier so we order him to retreat.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Thralls are dead. We send Floridas to catch javelins and try to kill Soulless with archers.

49.jpg

but then...

50.jpg

By the Wyrd!

51.jpg

52.jpg

We must try to take as many thralls with us as we can...

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

We try our best but this is pointless..

56.jpg

57.jpg

Major Blackhart fought 3 thralls and died.

58.jpg

59.jpg

Roxor died shortly after.

Garwin.jpg

Azira! take what is left of warriors and archers and try to join the dwarfs. This is your only hope... I will take care of thralls.

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

Captain Garwin decided to sacrifice himself to let Azira join the dwarfs. But his sacrifice might be in vain. Dwarfs are dying...

But then...

63.jpg

64.jpg

Unexpected help arrived. But now we must quickly retake shore of the river before Soulblighter launches another attack...

65.jpg

No time for softening thralls with dwarfs and archers. We must charge because mission is over if we loose this bulge in the middle of map.

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

71.jpg

Captain Garwin survived and tries to join with the rest.

72.jpg

Journeyman healed Azira with mandrake root and last of the codexers decides to keep fighting.

73.jpg

Tide of the battle turned and we regained control of the river.

74.jpg

It's over. We manage to hold Gjol long enough... for something.

75.jpg

Azira - only survivor of The Five Codexers.

debrief.jpg

I hope it was worth it Alric. We managed to stop Soulblighter but The Five (tm) stopped existing. Since we are behind enemy lines and there are no opportunities to send someone to take a rest all that Azira recevied for this mission was tap on the shoulder by Captain Garwin.

Some people stand in darkness
Afraid to step into the light.
Some people need to help somebody
When the edge of surrender is in sight.
Don't you worry, it's going to be all
right.

'Cause I'm always there,
I won't let you out of my sight.
I'll be there--never you fear
I'll be there--forever and always
I'm always here.

'Cause I'm always there,
I won't let you out of my sight.
I'll be there--never you fear
I'll be there--forever and always
I'm always here.

- Mazzarin The Great, Prophecy of Leveler and Thousand Years Cycle.

The Watcher

The BayWatcher
Thursday June 25, Near the Watcher's camp.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

This is undoubtely hardest mission in Myth and Myth 2. It was considered unfinishable on Legendary but then someone uploaded game replay of him finishing this mission on hardest difficulty. I think that since then this mission was finished many times on legendary so we will try to do so.

1.jpg

We got only berserkers and there is all kinds of shit on this map. Including Shades.

2.jpg

Elite squad of berserkers from most inane village of Gower called Codexia is led by Fag of Many Stories also called Storyfag Who Finished Starcraft Two Times For It's Story, Storyfag for short.

Among his men are:

Esquilax the Liturgist
CaptainAwesome who is not Captain at all but he's awesome
Draq the Smug Barbarian
Deuce The Traveler
Mrowak The Wise

They all are going to die, at least in Myth canon. I don't know if anyone is going to be transfered to next mission if he survives.

Our mission is to chop The Watcher to pieces. First we must find him though, so let's go searching...

Codexians march singing their scary marching song.

3.jpg

Codexians were ambushed when they were on second verse of their marching song.

4.jpg

This is prepostrous. You don't fuck around when Codexians are singing.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Mrowak and Deuce scored one kill each. Other Thralls were killed by non-Codexian berserkers for whom Codexers ways are mysterious...

We continue looking for Watcher while singing our scary marching song...

7.jpg

Ambushed again.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

This time Storyfag killed one thrall and CaptainAwesome two. We can continue...

11.jpg

12.jpg

One of Watcher's Shades. He won't let us pass, we need to kill him in order to get to his master.

13.jpg

We spread out so Shade won't use dispersal dream on us. Then we order attack.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Each Ghol carries wight piece. This mission is total "FUCK YOU!".

16.jpg

Some berserkers managed to get to Shade. But they are too few...

17.jpg

18.jpg

Ghols used their wight pieces. But we still can't attack en masse because Shade would kill us all with one spell. We must attack in small spread out waves.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Shade died. But so did eight of our berserkers. Codexers did not took part in this fight. Their mission is to kill Watcher not die fighting his Shade.

22.jpg

We finished off remaning Ghols and are ready to continue looking for Watcher's paralyzed ass.

23.jpg

First Soulless guard "station" there are at least two of them.

24.jpg

We order non-codexers to fake an attack on Soulless while Codexers make mad dash away from there...

25.jpg

Then we order rest to stop faking their attack and join codexers.

26.jpg

We are running like headless chickens and to be honest this is most ridiculous way to do this mission I ever tried. Deuce got hit by wight piece and is paralyzed. You are on your own Deuce...

WE CAN'T STOP!

27.jpg

Deuce not only survived, he chopped Ghol that paralyzed him to fucking pieces and joined the rest. Look at this random shit thrown in our direction. Javelins, wight pieces, Ghol sword, some old lady...

28.jpg

Then Codexers got hit by something and they are all paralyzed...

29.jpg

Non-codexians are to few in number to even think about getting near Watcher, they decide to sacrifice themselves so codexers may survive...

30.jpg

Codexers can move again.

31.jpg

Most of the Soulless are dead but unfortunately Ghols survived and they will keep chasing us till we reach the watcher, and then attack us from behind. We must kill them.

32.jpg

Codexers are badly wounded and chased by fucking army of darkness. But they must try to make their way to The Watcher...

33.jpg

Ghols keep throwing random shit at codexers but they are getting near the watcher...

34.jpg

Esquilax is too far behind, he got no chance join the rest. He decides to attack Ghols, it should help a little.

35.jpg

And then fucking Shade teleports in...

36.jpg

And it's not some random Shade. It's motherfucking Mazzarin. Most powerful Avatara who ever lived, now raised from the grave and forced to serve Balor.

37.jpg

Mrowak attacks Mazzarin to give the rest a chance to get to the Watcher.

38.jpg

But got quickly cut down... Meanwhile Esquilax got swarmed by Ghols.

39.jpg

And killed...

40.jpg

But the rest is alive... and running, they are always running...

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

RUN CAPTAINAWESOME! RUN!

44.jpg

YOU CAN DO IT!

45.jpg

RUUUUN!

46.jpg

47.jpg

fuck.

debrief.jpg

Ok, who volunteers to be in next wave of Berserkers?

Also, you're a machine. :salute: The rate you churn out these updates? Majestic.. :hero:

Thanks. Either it's Ragnarok time or simply Poland forgot how to spring and there is freaking snow everywhere so I don't feel like coming back home yet, and still sit at my parents house in city I completely don't know. So I don't have anything else to do. Also I said earlier that I will probably lower difficulty for this mission but I changed my mind. Either I will finish this mission on Legendary (killing many Codexers in the process) or we are stuck with me posting documents of my failure to kill The Watcher.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom