Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Myth: The Fallen Lords

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, I am not even sure if I did manage to finish Myth 3 in the end... At least I did get quite far in it. Maybe in some alternative universe we're already playing Myth 12, which is the bestest game ever.

And Malazan: Game of The Fallen is coming out in few months...

The Last Battle

The Last Battle

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

1.jpg

Alric figured out that Balor is no one else than Connacht, Hero of the Wind Age. It may seem that it's just useless trivia for us but it's actually not. It's second reason why Legion has been doing what it has been doing since we rescued Alric from the Barrier and Rabican died at the hands of the Watcher. First reason is that Alric share the opinion of Rabican that fighting Fallen Lords is absolutely pointless because we simply cannot beat them. And Rabican knew what he was talking about. Before Watcher killed him, Rabican was busy achieving partial god-hood, he actually became demigod but then realised that it's still not enough to beat Fallen Lords and Balor. But Rabican also realised that there is a chance, that humanity has someone who can threaten Balor. And this someone is Alric. The Nine really didn't believed Rabican when he said that everyone should accept complete rule of Alric but then Nine kinda started to drop like flies so Alric won by election... sort of (who's against Alric please die!). So Alric is now supreme ruler of humanity, or to be more exact, supreme ruler of what is left of humanity (which is not much). He also thinks that killing Balor will render Fallen Lords powerless and their armies will simply crumble, especially since The Watcher is dead and no other Fallen Lord is capable of raising undead in such numbers as Watcher and Balor.

And now his plan is to wave star of david at Hitler and see what happens... and we are going be the ones that wave this thing.

2.jpg

Force we start with is quite nice, pretty simillar to what we had in previous two missions but smaller. We start moving south and try to stay on the land since water is death trap in Myth games.

3.jpg

We are being harrased by Fetches. They come alone but still this one managed to surprise me. I have very bad habit of speeding up the game while I move or rotate units. And since tiny red dot on minimap is hard to spot on red background it's a miracle this Fetch didn't killed us all.

4.jpg

Then some more Fetches arrived, but this time I left game at normal speed so they didn't give me heart-attack.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Ok, I think we can continue to look for Alric now.

7.jpg

This seems like very nice, high ground defensive position. It would by a shame to abandon it so we will send scout ahead an see if we can lure some enemies here.

8.jpg

Our scout failed to find anything so we must move on.

9.jpg

Then we saw Myrkridia battle standard. We are supposed to reinforce soldiers that are guarding it.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Good job at pissing him off Alric! I don't think that destruction of banner will be only repercussion of bringing this thing here so we form a defensive line.

20.jpg

Yup, they are attacking.

21.jpg

Fortunately this is far from being coordinated attack.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Second wave kindly waited until we were finished with the first one.

24.jpg

Dwarfs are doing really great job. It's nice to fight in good weather conditions.

25.jpg

And now all undead are coming at us.

26.jpg

We keep throwing bombs and prepare our berserkers to intercept Myrmidons.

27.jpg

28.jpg

Berserkers are dealing with Myrmidons and we ordered everyone else to fall back.

29.jpg

Because Fetches are coming.

30.jpg

We tell one berserkers to attack Fetches, it wil give the rest some time to regroup.

31.jpg

Then we throw bombs at Thralls while Suttung tries to stop Fetches.

32.jpg

... They completely ignored him and he start to chop them to pieces.

33.jpg

34.jpg

We send another 'zerk to catch lightning bolt for the team... if Fetches will feel like casting one.

35.jpg

Nope, they did not feel like casting one. Whatever, I'll get over it.

36.jpg

Now we have to follow Alric.

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

Another fight, but this time Thralls are supported by Fetches who actually cast lightning bolts this time.

41.jpg

42.jpg

This is pretty much only frustrating mission in The Fallen Lords. Mainly because AI put Fetches behind Thralls which protects them against arrows and let them smite us without being under any threat. So we have to send some berserkers as lightning bolts catcher and people will start to die.

43.jpg

44.jpg

We managed to kill first group.

45.jpg

But another one is coming.

46.jpg

I reload a lot here. If berserkers failed to kill those three Fetches we would be fucked. Fetches shoot as fast as archers, have slightly shorter range but are even deadlier than dwarfs, and of course, never misses.

47.jpg

Only one berserker survived but he got close enough to stop Fetches from shooting lightning bolts.

48.jpg

49.jpg

Holy shit, archers managed to kill those damn bitches.

50.jpg

And now dealing with Thralls won't be any problem.

51.jpg

Ok we done it but we are badly wouned. Well, we have to deal with it because I already savescummed enough in this mission. We reached another place where Alric will have conversation with Balor. Last fight was hard but fair. This one is really tricky...

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

Alric stands in centre of this circle and he's getting surrounded be Fetches. That's ok because he's very resistant to lightning, but fetches are only part of the problem.

56.jpg

We send berserkers to help alric.

57.jpg

Fetches are dead but now Myrmidons attack... and Alric will kep standing there.

58.jpg

And we have to defend him because if he dies game is over.

59.jpg

We lost too many berserkers in previous battle so keeping Alric's ass alive will be a challenge.

60.jpg

But we somehow managed to do this. Ok, let's carry on.

62.jpg

Alric doesn't even wait for us to regroup, he charges straight forward. Then Balor smite him with lightning couple times...

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

debrief.jpg

Alric teleported us away after we chopped Balor's head off. Thing is, Balor is still alive. And that's exactly what Alric was hoping for...

The Glow The Great Devoid

The Great Devoid
Tuesday July 21, The Great Devoid.

brief1.jpg

brief2.jpg

brief3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

We kicked the head around a little bit having fun of our lives but then we ordered dwarf to pick it up to get this shit done.

4.jpg

Ok we are in formation and ready to go.

5.jpg

We reached a river and I don't have to repeat myself by telling you how much I don't trust water in this game. We will send berserker to scout ahead.

6.jpg

Soon Wights started to come out of the water. We told archers to shoot them and it took quite a while.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Then we started to prepare ourselves to cross the river and kill what is on the other side of it.

11.jpg

It seems like a good idea to start attacking by shooting one wight that is stuck near Soulless and Fetch.

12.jpg

Yup, it worked pretty well.

13.jpg

Then we proceeded to deal with remaning Soulless.

14.jpg

Then we detonated one more wight and Fetches died in explosion. But it made more enemies move here.

15.jpg

We lost one archer dealing with this wave od Soulless but we should be fine. Also, one wight is trying to flank us but we ordered two archers to deal with him.

16.jpg

Second wave of Soulless completely ignored berserkers we put near the shore to catch javelins, nad went straight for archers.

17.jpg

And it allowed us to easily chop them to pieces.

18.jpg

One 'zerk got hit by lightning bolt but he should be fine. He'll be healed by mandrake root... but we will save at least one mandrake root for later... *TAM TAM TAM* *dramatic music*

19.jpg

Now we must deal with four remaining Fetches. We send our archers forward.

20.jpg

We killed one and the rest is falling back.

21.jpg

Then we move to the other side of the river to provoke Fetch to attack and simply shoot them as they approach.

22.jpg

They died and we order rest of our soldiers to get in here.

23.jpg

Few wights popped out from the water when we crossed the river so we order archers to shoot them.

24.jpg

Ok, Wights are dead and we can move on.

25.jpg

More Fetches and Soulless. Archers will have to kill shit fast or some of us will get cooked.

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

We lost two archers because I'm stingy as hell with my mandrake roots.

29.jpg

But we survived first attack.

30.jpg

Now it's time to deal with second one.

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Another archer died, well shit.

34.jpg

I think that's it for now. Let's keep moving.

35.jpg

Ok, we are near Great Devoid.

36.jpg

But someone is waiting for us...

37.jpg

How about... no?

38.jpg

Bugger off...

39.jpg

We use mandrake root on Soulblighter...

40.jpg

And he's gone, sort of.

41.jpg

42.jpg

Now we must deal with what is left of his force.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

Then we quickly order Tind to throw Balor's head into the Great Devoid.

49.jpg

50.jpg

We did it!

51.jpg

But then ground starts shaking...

And that's it, we finished Myth: The Fallen Lords. One of the greatest game ever made, second only to first Fallout if you ask me.

Thanks anyone for reading this, I will eventually make LP of Myth 2 and Myth 3 so anyone who commented this LP will have a chance to die in Myth 2: Soublighter, from a very beginning this time. Cheers and thanks again.

:salute: The Legion

The narration also reminds me of the Black Company series (particulalry the 2nd and 3rd books) and it makes their sacrifise twice more epic.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
:bravo:

Great job! :salute:

Looking forward to your future exploits! ;)

Oh god how I do love Myth. Why world, why are you so shitty?

Why can't I have more?

I feel your pain bro but let Myth series die in peace. No more Myth game please, Wolf Age wasn't the best ending to great video game series ever, but it also was far from being worst one. I'm good on Myth games now, thanks. But I wouldn't mind different game with similar gameplay though.

And thanks for comment, please post another one so we can move to new page and I can post update harhar.

I am curious - I have never got to play Wolf Age... What exactly makes it inferior to its progenitors?

:bravo:

Great job! :salute:

Looking forward to your future exploits! ;)

Oh god how I do love Myth. Why world, why are you so shitty?

Why can't I have more?

I feel your pain bro but let Myth series die in peace. No more Myth game please, Wolf Age wasn't the best ending to great video game series ever, but it also was far from being worst one. I'm good on Myth games now, thanks. But I wouldn't mind different game with similar gameplay though.

And thanks for comment, please post another one so we can move to new page and I can post update harhar.

I am curious - I have never got to play Wolf Age... What exactly makes it inferior to its progenitors?

Myth 3 is definitely inferior to Myth games made by bungie but it's not terrible game. I had serious troubles adjusting to new atmosphere of the game, which you can feel straight away because game greets you with bombastic cluster-fuck of loud bagpipes that supposed to sound epic but really doesn't. Rest of the soundtrack is actually quite ok but it's nothing like TFL and Soulblighter very dark and brooding music. They went fool retard on celtic themes, which were prominent in Myth games but I don't remember berserker's going all "grab yer swords arrr!" and playing bagpipes. Well, at least not too often. Atmosphere was really important in Myth games but you know, gameplay matters. And gameplay is also worse. First of all, I don't think this game was playtested at all because first two mission are brutal as hell. Mission 2 is actually second in difficulty only to legendary "Bond's of the Oghres" mission which is legendary for being fucking broken. Really, that mission is almost impossible on higher difficulty. Then comes quirks of switching to 3D engine which actually made things harder to see. TFL and SB sprites on 3d maps may look a little dated but it's at least always clear what you are looking at. I actually started a test game couple of hours ago to refresh my memory of this game and I had problems selecting my units and couldn't see their health bar unless I stared at them for 10 seconds (and you can't give orders while the game is paused). Also I remember raging at too many hero-based mission, I know they wanted to show Fallen Lords before they became Fallen but I didn't like having Damas and Ravanna in every goddamn mission. It's pretty much worse than former games in every aspect you can think of. Well, maybe graphics are slightly better but only if you keep things zoomed-out because unit models are ugly as fuck... they come in two variants - Ugly and Hilarious, Myrkridia's are hilarious, I actually never saw monster that supposed to scare me that was so funny... but I don't think that's a good thing. But you know, principles of the gameplay remains the same, execution was kinda iffy but it's still pretty nice game. Myth 3 definitely was not to Myth series what Fallout 3 was to Fallout.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Looking forward to Myth 2. I still have a promotional "get to the hill" poster for that game that came in a CGW issue. Game fucking oozes atmosphere.

eklektyk

Erudite
finally catched up with my reading....
and oh boy was it EPIC & MAJESTIC >tm< till the end:salute:

now will wait with anticipation for myth2lp

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Didn't even know you can deal with Soulblighter. I remember simply sending my remaining troops spread to get hacked to pieces by him while a lonely dwarf stayed as far away as possible and run to throw the head.

Didn't even know you can deal with Soulblighter. I remember simply sending my remaining troops spread to get hacked to pieces by him while a lonely dwarf stayed as far away as possible and run to throw the head.

Yeah, smiting Soublighter with mandrake root is not only not-canonical but I also think it is a "bug". In intro to Myth2: Soublighter there is fragment showing what happened at the great devoid and it simply shows what you said - dwarf making a mad dash to throw head into devoid and then getting killed by Soulblighter. And I think (I might be wrong though) Soulblighter should not be undead unit, he was not resurrected by Balor, he was still alive when Balor arrived.

How is that even possible? It has been thousand years...

He found means of prolonging his life by self-mutilation and human sacrifices during his trip to the east. He's completely immortal which is proven in Myth 2 when Alric brakes Balmung on him. Prolonging life span has very bad effect on mental condition in Myth universe. Watcher for example is ancient compared to Soublighter and after thousands of years he became quite unstable. Soublighter don't live that long so he's strange but not insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom