Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Oblivion - Shiverwinter Islepeaks

Herbert West

Arbiter
The horror, the horror! I'd have more interesting and sensible conversation with a loaf of bread than those... abominations! Even kids still in kindergarten would have trouble abstaining from facepalming... or so I hope.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Still theres no denying they really beefed up the artwork.
The Way the central Province of the Empire was supposed to look and not that Lord Of The Rings ripoff that Oblivion had.

Helton

Arcane
WalterKinde said:
Still theres no denying they really beefed up the artwork.
The Way the central Province of the Empire was supposed to look and not that Lord Of The Rings ripoff that Oblivion had.

It was supposed to look exactly like Morrowind?

WalterKinde

Scholar
I mean the whole atmosphere with weird looking monsters etc. captures the whole Elder Scrolls feel.
Yes Shivering Isles looks like just a total conversation of morrowind using the new graphics engine but its the closet thing to the what the central province is suppose to look like.

Thank you Chefe

Anyway, BACK TO ADVENTURE

ScreenShot159-1.jpg

Aaaand this is the first character we meet upon our return to the city. Isn't he just darling?

ScreenShot160-1.jpg

Thankfully, the game allows me to give the reply I wanted to give. For once.

ScreenShot161-1.jpg

Hahahaha Jesus

Anyway, he wants to be taken unaware and for it to be made to look like an accident. Surprisingly, the game does not instantly providing a stunning and convenient method to do this.

ScreenShot164-1.jpg

ScreenShot165-1.jpg

He even has a little podium to stand on. How thoughtful.
I did say it wasn't instant, so it's an improvement.

ScreenShot166-1.jpg

ScreenShot167-1.jpg

ScreenShot168-1.jpg

In his haste to watch the funny falling animation, kingcomrade falls off himself. But it's okay, because he's the Chosen One. He takes the guy's key and makes his way to his house.

ScreenShot170-1.jpg

You know, even most emos have the decency not to stick their cutting implements in their front hall.
wait
what

ScreenShot171-1.jpg

I'd accuse them of being as subtle as CS Lewis again here, but sadly, I'm pretty sure this could pass the livejournal entry Turing Test, so I'll let it go. Too close to the bone.

ScreenShot172-1.jpg

Anyway, I meet a smith - called, appropriately, Cutter, which might explain why she's going in for the whole "I look like a panda, it makes me deep" fashion. She offers to forge swords and armour out of the MAAAAAADNESSSS ore dotted around the land, as well as forging special items using Ore and the Matrix things I've picked up one or two of.
I have some armour forged to see what it's like.

ScreenShot173-1.jpg

It is, of course, levelled, and as such is no better than the steel armour I picked up from the corpses of the adventurers killed by the Gatekeeper.
Please make the pain stop.

ScreenShot174-1.jpg

Oh my god he's gone luminous

ScreenShot175-1.jpg

NO

ScreenShot176-1.jpg

NO STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING

He talks a bit more about Jyggalag and the Greymarch and how hilarious he is, so kingcomrade prods him for a bit more information about Jyggalag (who some might remember as the "placeholder Daedra Lord" from Morrowind, who had a name and nothing else). For doing so, he gets this.

ScreenShot178.jpg

ScreenShot179.jpg

Remind me never to ask this guy anything more than is necessary in future.

ScreenShot180.jpg

He grants our hero another quest, to meet with the rulers of Mania and Dementia and perform tasks for them to "better understand the nature of the Shivering Isles". I do understand it. It's WACKEE and CRAZEE respectively. Can I move on past the filler and stop playing this before I actually do go insane now?
Of course not.

ScreenShot181.jpg

I visit the Duke of Mania first. This is my first visit to Mania. It's WACKEE.

ScreenShot182.jpg

LOOK AT HOW WACKEE HE IS

ScreenShot183.jpg

My quest, apparently, is to consume some incredibly addictive drug, find a chalice, and... uh... bring it back. Which will apparently give me a whole new view of reality. Or something.
Okay then.

ScreenShot185.jpg

We play "spin the pie" with his Argonian assistant for a while, and she eventually reveals this. I'm assuming it... wasn't supposed to be obvious? Or they expect most players to have forgotten what their quest was by the time they've spoken to her? Oh, I really don't give a fuck any more.

ScreenShot186.jpg

I enter Bliss, the Mania side of New Sheoth. It's CRAZEE! Look at that crazee guy down there. Isn't he crazee :?: :?: :?: I bet he has a WACKEE quest for us to embark upon!
He did, of course. It was about finding him somewhere to sleep so the walls wouldn't fall on him. He didn't give me a chance to decline, so I'm just not going to do it.

ScreenShot187.jpg

And we have this guy who plays the race card as part of his introduction dialogue. No thank you.

ScreenShot188.jpg

Well, looks like Mania is... much the same as Dementia, except with a more colourful palette. Oh well. Looks nice enough, I suppose.

ScreenShot189.jpg

Fairly nice view. Spoiled by how fucking stupid the trees look from here.

ScreenShot191.jpg

And here we are, at the barrow I've been sent to for the chalice. There's a big, squishy membrane covering the entrance.

ScreenShot192.jpg

I batter it again and again with my mighty weapon, but all I do is drain my endurance. The answer?

ScreenShot193.jpg

Substance abuse, of course! The best way to get through those heavily resistant membranes.

ScreenShot194.jpg

And it widens quickly with an incredibly distressing shhhlurp noise.
I'm not even going to make a joke here. I'm really quite scared to enter. But I bravely adjust my helm, grip my mighty weapon and...
...okay, with this game, you have to take entertainment where you can get it. Moving on.

ScreenShot195.jpg

A generic cave again! I pass through a couple of identical areas, which are much the same as the other dungeons we've seen, except they have these ant things instead of Grummites.

ScreenShot196.jpg

that is not how drug addiction works you are doing it rong

ScreenShot197.jpg

Thankfully, the ant-things which carry more of that Felldew stuff are... uh... glowing and green. It... helps, I guess.

ScreenShot198.jpg

Another generic area. Twitch. Twitch.

ScreenShot199.jpg

Another. Area. Of hacking. And stabbing. And Felldewing.

ScreenShot200.jpg

Dear Allah I will sacrifice a thousand virgins in your name if you will just grant me the sweet release of death

ScreenShot201.jpg

And... here we are. brb, getting virgins.

ScreenShot202.jpg

ScreenShot203.jpg

And now we have a very small tower-like area - unique for a tower in that it only has one level - and find...

ScreenShot205.jpg

THE CHALICE :!: :!: :!: :!:

I pick it up, there's a blue smoky flash, and my addiction vanishes.
Bethesda is giving the wrong message to our children.

ScreenShot206.jpg

Outside the cave, I find one of these Obelisk things that the Knights of Order, Jyggalag's servants, use to attack the r00flepeaks. He says if I kill enough knights and feed their hearts to the Obelisk, it'll be overloaded and temporarily shut down.

ScreenShot207.jpg

ScreenShot208.jpg

Right. Destroyed obelisks yield potions of cure disease.
Right.

Anyway, kingcomrade victoriously returns to New Sheoth, not at all tired and pissed off by being forced into yet another uninspired, stupid dungeon crawl.

ScreenShot209-1.jpg

No, I don't.

ScreenShot210-1.jpg

No I don't.

Next up is the Duchess of Dementia.

ScreenShot211-2.jpg

Yes. I do. I really do.
Unfortunately, it appears to be a rhetorical question.
Apparently she's paranoid about her followers and wants proof that they're spying on her or planning to assassinate her or something. Sound familiar? Well, if this quest also ends in guards chasing down and brutally murdering wood elves who don't fight back, then pretending they didn't know what happened, I'm all for it. That was a wonderful outcome.

ScreenShot212-2.jpg

k
At least this won't involve another horrible dungeon. I hope.

Ahzaruuk

Arbiter
aron searle said:
what. the. fuck.

Do they think people have shiny rubber skin, bloom bloom bloom bloom.

ScreenShot165-1.jpg

If he want's it to be made to look like an accident, why is there someone standing in the corner?

I did that quest, and the Guard just says "Oh, that happens all the time."

Murk

Arcane
I kind of thought the 'dex was being overly harsh on oblivion for how suck it was

then i read the dialog

you guys can't be harsh enough.

racofer said:
I wonder what force drives Admiral jimbob to endure such task.

I had a look at the UESP guide, and apparently I'm only about a third of the way through.
I propose a wager; I continue playing, and if I'm still capable of throwing a sentence together in some coherent manner without descending into gibbering rage by 2/3 of the way through, I get the custom title "THE CODEX".

Shoelip

Arbiter
Here here! Or is it "Hear hear?" Where the heck did that saying come from anyway?

Aegeri

Novice
Admiral jimbob said:
racofer said:

I had a look at the UESP guide, and apparently I'm only about a third of the way through.
I propose a wager; I continue playing, and if I'm still capable of throwing a sentence together in some coherent manner without descending into gibbering rage by 2/3 of the way through, I get the custom title "THE CODEX".
I would support this motion.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Admiral jimbob said:
racofer said:

You have my support comrade. :salute:

If it makes you happy, you're almost done with the somewhat interersting quests and on to 100% KEEL DEM KNIGHTS LOL quest.

You bastards ate my photobucket bandwidth
I have a second account, anyway. I did two quests today, since it'll be the last update for 2-3 weeks (going on holiday). Will be up in a bit.

ScreenShot213.jpg

And so kingcomrade heads to Lady Syl's dungeon, where he fetches her chief torturer fellow. As you can see, he is ever-alert and watchful for enemies of the court of dementia.

ScreenShot214.jpg

He is also incredibly shiny. This appears to be a recurring theme. Is it WACKEE? No.

Kithlan claims to know nothing about any shading dealings. I know he is lying, because he's black.

ScreenShot215.jpg

ScreenShot217.jpg

ScreenShot218.jpg

After one or two shocks, Rodney King reveals that Anya something-or-other was looking more nervous than usual. kingcomrade knew of her, he'd seen her about the court, blocking him in corridors and being ginger at him without provocation. She would be zapped, too.

ScreenShot219.jpg

ScreenShot220.jpg

I could get used to this.

ScreenShot221.jpg

ScreenShot222.jpg

The furry is hiding something, but won't reveal it without evidence of some kind. So we decide to go and torture Sickly Bertha or whatever her name was.

ScreenShot223.jpg

After brutally electrocuting her several times, kingcomrade politely and civilly pays for one of her beds, and levels up.

ScreenShot224.jpg

She claims to have seen the furry meeting with the captain of Syl's guard. We go and torture her too.

ScreenShot225.jpg

She reveals nothing whatsoever. However, we soon discover - probably through torturing more people, though I can't really remember - that she and the furry have been meeting at night somewhere in Crucible. kingcomrade decides to follow them to see what is to be discussed.

ScreenShot226.jpg

ScreenShot227.jpg

A-ha! Proof of their treachery, at last. However, kingcomrade is sad, because this means he's probably going to have to stop electrocuting random citizens. He confronts the furry with the knowledge of their meeting, and the deviant reveals the true reason behind the plot to kill Syl...

ScreenShot228.jpg

k

He says to meet with him at midnight to receive hard evidence of the guard captian's involvement, so kc waits a while then heads to his house.

ScreenShot229.jpg

Surprise!
Upstairs, in a drawer, he finds a blade conveniently bearing the name of the guard captain, and takes this newfound evidence to her in the court of dementia.

ScreenShot231.jpg

Sadly, I do not get to torture her again. She claims that some random fortune teller woman is behind it all, which I somehow doubt, until I enter her home.

ScreenShot232.jpg

She's an Altmer.
Now, I don't know why, but Oblivion seems to have a fetish for making the villains Altmer. Mankar Camoran? Altmer. Not sure how much sense that makes, can't really remember the lore behind him. King of Worms? Altmer. What? He's not an Altmer go away. Umaril from Knights of the Ni? Looks like a fucking Altmer to me.
Anyway.

ScreenShot233.jpg

k
She's quickly taken to the Dementia dungeon.

ScreenShot234.jpg

As you can see, the torturer is again as alert as ever. A stalwart bastion of alert-ness, he is.

ScreenShot235.jpg

Duchess comes downstairs, kills her, etc. The end. I'll admit, torturing people was fun, but this has potential to be a far more interesting quest than it was.

ScreenShot236.jpg

Okay but I'm going to kill you two quests from now fyi
And now... back to Sheogorath. Sigh.

ScreenShot237.jpg

Instead of being WACKEE at me, he actually explains a bit about the plot and what I'm supposed to be doing. Which would be nice if anyone with half a brain hadn't worked it out already. Except there appears to be a slight twist.

ScreenShot238.jpg

ScreenShot239.jpg

"I'll be you? wat" kingcomrade asks, somewhat worried. He doesn't want a stupid beard.

ScreenShot240.jpg

ScreenShot241.jpg

ScreenShot242.jpg

Don't do as he commands, that is, not avoid thinking about it. They don't encourage thinking around here.

And, finally, my next quest. Apparently I've to light some beacon thing which two squads of Golden Saints and Fat Seducers are fighting over.

ScreenShot244.jpg

ScreenShot245.jpg

Well, that conversation wasn't too bad, no particularly stupid jokes or anything. I then ask him about the Obelisks again, however...

ScreenShot247.jpg

ScreenShot248.jpg

NerdRageColored.jpg

anger.gif

anger.jpg

Okay. Deep breaths. One wasn't bad. Even that one. Calm... soothing... calm... happiness. Bliss. Cheer. Puppies. RAAAAEGA aegaegak[etsmd'hzdhpdzhpodhpooho]\[phkzhlhp[lkh[p nononononononohnopo god why

Okay looking at the map we are quite far from where we need to be

ScreenShot249.jpg

sigh

ScreenShot250.jpg

Actually had a decently challenging fight with this guy. And only a novitiate, apparently. Though that probably just means his boss won't appear until I'm level 15.

ScreenShot251.jpg

The view can be nice sometimes.

ScreenShot253.jpg

Run into one of those Obelisk things along the way. Wary of any possible free sweetrolls, kingcomrade approaches and begins feeding surplus Hearts of Order into it before any knights can spawn.
Sadly, as it turns out, this approach just means that (since two or three apparently spawn per heart used) you get gangraped.

ScreenShot254.jpg

Fucking shit halp

ScreenShot255.jpg

Ran into a nice, pleasant village just beside the Obelisk. It is particularly pleasant because there are no people around. kingcomrade hates people for what they have done to Mother Gaia.

ScreenShot256.jpg

ScreenShot257.jpg

WILL YOU GET MY MEDALLION BACK NOBLE SIR

ScreenShot258.jpg

ScreenShot260.jpg

Oh, apparently kc has a water-walking constant effect now. Not sure when that happened. Don't really care. Anyway, he heads into the ruins and meets with the Fat Seducer leader.

ScreenShot261.jpg

ScreenShot262.jpg

Predictable like this quest

ScreenShot263.jpg

The battle music starts pounding, and kingcomrade waits in suspense alongside the noble Fatling archers.

ScreenShot264.jpg

The battle music continues pounding, and kingcomrade waits in suspense alongside the noble Fatling archers.

Then a small ragtag group of Golden Saints enter the passage, kingcomrade jumps down and hacks up their leader (without actually realising that was who he was fighting - if there's one thing that can be said for Oblivion combat, it's that it's suitably confusing and hectic when there are a lot of people involved) and... that was about it.

ScreenShot265.jpg

The Fatmother moves forwards to sacrifice herself to the Altar of Despair. What about the Altar of Rapture the Golden Saints had been guarding? Aren't we supposed to light that too?

ScreenShot266.jpg

ScreenShot267.jpg

ScreenShot268.jpg

Oh well.

ScreenShot269.jpg

kingcomrade steps into the beacon, and receives the holy flame. As in, literally receives the holy flame.

ScreenShot270.jpg

I DO BELIEVE I AM ON FIYAH

ScreenShot271.jpg

FIRE FIRE! FIRE FIRE! FIIIIIIIIIIRE

He enters the great chapel of Arden-Sul. kc seems to hear a lot about this chap. Never quite bothered working out who he is/was.

ScreenShot272.jpg

ScreenShot273.jpg

No I am helping Dementia for some reason I was never certain of go awa-

ScreenShot274.jpg

Go on.

ScreenShot275.jpg

Oh. Fuck off.

kingcomrade, dispirited and blueballed, heads off to talk to the Dementia priest instead.

ScreenShot276.jpg

Sounds like kc alright. As he rules General Discussion through fear, he himself is in turn ruled by fear.

ScreenShot277.jpg

After lighting the beacon and receiving a hilariously useless piece of armour (full-body piece with no AC value - guhbuh), kingcomrade turns to see Sheogorath doing his retard-golf-clap in the pews. He grits his teeth and approaches.

ScreenShot278.jpg

Start.
Start.
Start.
Please god let it end soon.

ScreenShot279.jpg

ScreenShot280.jpg

Oh, that sounds a bit more like it. Surely great political power struggles and intrigue await me! And if you believe there's even a slight chance of that for even a second, I have a bridge in London to sell you.

ScreenShot281.jpg

ScreenShot282.jpg

A complex ritual, you say? In order to avoid confusion, kingcomrade requests only the details of how it is performed. No need to muddle his head with really stupid backstory.

ScreenShot283.jpg

Imaginative!

ScreenShot284.jpg

Well that's, uh... rather more interesting.

So which court should I choose to rule, RPGCodex? The future of kingcomrade lies in your hands.

Deleted member 7219

The 'choice' is rather shallow, like everything else in Oblivion. It doesn't really matter who you pick.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ScreenShot233.jpg

This fugly face actually made me lol for real. I knew that Oblivion had some really ugly faces, but this... :lol:

It's not a face, it's feces.

EDIT:
Upon closer inspection, I can find some similarities to the photo of Pete's retard smile.

Athiska

Novice
Depends on what shiny armor you want. Seeing a male character in those armors makes me snicker. Just be sure to join the opposite---
Eh, choose Dementia. It's less troublesome than the other (designed for sneaks and mages who disappear). This one involves a straightforward hackquest. In a maze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom