Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play: Oblivion - Shiverwinter Islepeaks

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You'll end up killing them both anyway, and the following parts until that have only cosmetic differences.

I say Dementia, for the hilariously over-the-top bad quest lulz.

Athiska

Novice
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I say Dementia, for the hilariously over-the-top bad quest lulz.

"Thank you, Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!"
Bloody double. Cheap tactic.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
why do their faces glow seriously have the devs ever looked at each other and ask 'why aren't you glowing?'

oh wait. radiant ai.

jaylittle

Scholar
RK47 said:
why do their faces glow seriously have the devs ever looked at each other and ask 'why aren't you glowing?'

oh wait. radiant ai.
That's not it. It's because the faces there are only glowing because you are high on drugs. You are playing Oblivion afterall, what other excuse do you have?

Archaeon

Scholar
Why does that clapping idiot with the beard look just like Bush ????? no one ever noticed this?

So I did the first part of the quest to take over the court of Mania. I have no screenshots of it, however.
Why? I took lots of screenshots. They did, in fact, show up in my Oblivion folder. They were there.
Then my computer randomly crashed before I quit the game. Oblivion did not like that. No, not at all.
All of the screenshots disappeared. And I'd saved, so I can't go back and get them again. Like I'd fucking do that anyway.

Anyway, Sheogorath told kingcomrade that he should talk to members of the court of Dementia for ways to get close enough to Syl to kill her. Our hero went directly to the main throne room of Dementia, where he found Anya and the black guy. Both of them hated him, for some reason, possibly to do with him torturing them several times over for fun last time after he'd already gotten information out of them. The black guy was at a disposition of 1, which makes me think he's just playing the ancestral guilt card at me.
Shouldn't hold a grudge like that, it's not healthy.
Thankfully, the Persuasion Pie proved capable of meeting this challenge, and soon they both liked me enough to help me out. Rodney King gave me the key to Syl's quarters, and Anya agreed to distract Syl's dark seducer guards for me. I waited a bit, then followed Anya into Syl's private garden (video is £9.99), where she distracted the guards by running past them, into Syl's bedroom, and letting them rush towards me screaming war cries and waving their weapons.
A clever ruse indeed.

Anyway, I entered Syl's quarters to discover her body on the bed. After prodding it a bit, I realised it was a body and not just her asleep, then Rodney came in behind me. "MARIO, THE PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE, THIS IS JUST A BODY DOUBLE. I LOVE WATERMELON" he bleated. I followed him outside, opening up a secret escape route in the garden. With a sigh, I headed into another uninspired dungeon crawl.

The first few rooms were fairly simple. There were trap statues which fired health-draining spells down each corridor constantly, but I cunningly avoided these by moving slightly to the left and walking forwards as normal. Then I came into another, larger room, with three hostile dark seducers inside. Two began firing arrows at me, and the other had their back turned, so I killed that one quickly - and got a message telling me that "my killing had been observed by forces unknown".
I got the fucking Dark Brotherhood you-murdered-someone-good-job recruitment message because I killed an enemy in an isolated dungeon in a hostile Daedric realm.
Why am I playing this game.

Anyway, that was about where my game crashed. Screenshots proceed from here.

resized_ScreenShot285.jpg

This dungeon has a fondness for moving walls.

resized_ScreenShot286.jpg

A door down. If this next level doesn't have the green arrow on the quest compass indicating that the quest target is in this area, I think I might cry a little.

resized_ScreenShot287.jpg

It did have it. Hooray.

resized_ScreenShot288.jpg

Chairs! I'm not sure what their function is here. Oh well.

resized_ScreenShot289.jpg

Slog, slog, slog. This door looks promising.

resized_ScreenShot290.jpg

A long hallway, with a seducer walking away from me at the far end. Time for more cold-blooded killing. Of hostile demons.

resized_ScreenShot291.jpg

I like this bow. It's supposed to have random magical effects every time it hits, but the only noticable one I've ever seen is that it makes them fall over sometimes. It looks funny, at least.

resized_ScreenShot292.jpg

Ooh, who's that down there...

resized_ScreenShot293.jpg

Oh, it's Syl. Hi, Syl.

resized_ScreenShot294.jpg

Bye, Syl.
Believe it or not, she didn't provide much of a challenge.

resized_ScreenShot295.jpg

I was surprised, looking at this, because it seemed to have the same damage rating as my Elven war axe that I've been using. The Elven axe isn't scaled loot, got it because of Obscuro's or one of those, whereas this one's a unique and definitely scaled. So I was surprised.

Then I remembered that I hadn't repaired my axe in a while.

resized_ScreenShot296.jpg

Sigh. Moving on...

resized_ScreenShot297.jpg

Heading back out... doesn't seem to be a convenient door that leads straight out of the dungeon here, surprisingly. Though, much as I rag on them, they're at least convenient. I cry at the thought of going back through all that generic-ness.
So I turn right, and notice a door I haven't been through yet. This must be it.

resized_ScreenShot298.jpg

OR IS IT :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

resized_ScreenShot299.jpg

resized_ScreenShot300.jpg

What the hell is that thing is that a bone golem

resized_ScreenShot301.jpg

This room is interesting in that when I walk into it it is rude and falls on my head.
Doing little damage, of course.

resized_ScreenShot302.jpg

Called it. Well, that was a fair alternative to walking right out or trekking all the way back. Not that it was very interesting.

resized_ScreenShot303.jpg

Kingcomrade leaves the dungeon at last, and poses dramatically for the camera. The rain glistening against his toned flesh lends a wild, sexual aura.

resized_ScreenShot304.jpg

Right outside the walls of New Sheoth. Kingcomrade can barely contain his excitement. What will happen when he returns? What new witticisms will Sheogorath have to share?

resized_ScreenShot305.jpg

A traveller! Shirtless! Glistening! With a mighty weapon! This is so uninspired.

resized_ScreenShot306.jpg

WHY ARE YOU SO SHINY

resized_ScreenShot307.jpg

Why are there bodies here now? Were they here last time? Do I care? No. Let's talk to Sheogorath. Brace yourselves.

resized_ScreenShot308.jpg

Oh, yeah, the ritual. That.

resized_ScreenShot309.jpg

resized_ScreenShot310.jpg

THEN A DRAMATIC INTERRUPTION :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

resized_ScreenShot311.jpg

Does Sheogorath listen to the Duke of Mania? No. Does the Duke of Mania do anything beyond his initial "hi guys I am interrupting" other than wait for Sheogorath to shout at him? No.
Good script.

resized_ScreenShot312.jpg

resized_ScreenShot313.jpg

resized_ScreenShot314.jpg

resized_ScreenShot315.jpg

resized_ScreenShot316.jpg

resized_ScreenShot317.jpg

resized_ScreenShot318.jpg

obama.jpg

resized_ScreenShot319.jpg

resized_ScreenShot320.jpg

resized_ScreenShot321.jpg

The guards draw their swords dramatically :!: :!: :!: And stand still.

resized_ScreenShot322.jpg

Sheogorath has Things In Mind :!: :!: :!: :!:

resized_ScreenShot323.jpg

resized_ScreenShot324.jpg

Oh, the heart-wrenching tragedy of it all :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: A lost love, the conflict between duty and the heart... simply Shakespearian :!: :!: :!: :!: Except wackee. And stupid. And not really like Shakespeare.

resized_ScreenShot325.jpg

Incidentally, he didn't actually threaten that.

resized_ScreenShot327.jpg

My next quest, apparently, is to lead Sheogorath's forces in taking back the Fringe. Or something like that. I'm sure I'll end up in a boring dungeon somehow.
I'm given the Ring of Dementia as a sign of my new dukeness.

resized_ScreenShot328.jpg

It's rubbish.
I wish I was dead.

WalterKinde

Scholar
Keep it coming.
It seems to me that you will probably inherit both dukedoms instead of just one.

Deleted member 7219

Takes me back. Can't call it nostalgia, though, nostalgia is reminiscing on good stuff, right?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, the game isn't supposed to be funny, it's supposed to be insane and crazy.

You know, just like in Bethesda's headquarters where everyone talks like that the whole day.

And this is the same "humor" that they're going to use in Fallout 3, sigh.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, wait, wait.

Hold on.

Hold it right there.

In Oblivion, "unique" quest rewards are SCALED?

WAT

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jasede said:
Wait, wait, wait.

Hold on.

Hold it right there.

In Oblivion, "unique" quest rewards are SCALED?

WAT

Yes, that was exactly my reaction when I found out, too. Basically, when you finish a quest that gives you a mighty artifact at level 1, this artifact is much less mighty than if you finished the quest at level 20. Luckily, there's a mod that removes this unbelievably retarded design decision.

It's the most stupid thing ever made in any game. Unique quest rewards are fucking *scaled*.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
JarlFrank said:
Yes, that was exactly my reaction when I found out, too. Basically, when you finish a quest that gives you a mighty artifact at level 1, this artifact is much less mighty than if you finished the quest at level 20. Luckily, there's a mod that removes this unbelievably retarded design decision.

I thought you were using such a mod?

Shoelip

Arbiter
"Lord Sheogorath! The forces of boring are advancing! We cannot defeat them!"

"Yes we can!"

Sheogorath/Obama 08.

elander_

Arbiter
Brother None said:
Why are all these epic quest items so useless?

I can think of a few reasons:
1) It has nothing to do with the game or the story going on. It's just generic loot item 123 because fat loot is good. Rule number 1 on the Toddlers book of game design for dummies.
2) Since you can simply drink a dozen of potions and win any battle nothing else matters except a good stock of potions and a bigger weapon.
3) The fine details of level scaling aren't mentioned in game design for dummies.

Shoelip

Arbiter
racofer said:
Does anybody else feels rage building deep inside you when reading these "dialogs" in OB?

Only when I think about them. It's best not to think about anything Oblivion related unless you want to be angry.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom