Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Oblivion: The Adventures of Snails!!!!1! (Finito)

Elzair

Cipher
GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elzair

Cipher
Chapter 7: I Do Some O' Dem Dae-dric Ruins!

Chapter 7: I Do Some O' Dem Dae-dric Ruins!

Alright, let's just speak to Boromir and get this over with.

Oblivion2009-07-0120-23-32-73.jpg

Have you been smoking Aragorn's pipe again?

comic_lotr64b.jpg

boromir.jpg
Yeah, man! It's some good shit!

boromir.jpg
Anyway, the second item is the counterpart to the first: the blood of a Divine. This was a terrible puzzle to me.

boromir.jpg
Unlike the Daedric Lords, the gods have no artifacts and do not physically manifest themselves in our world.

boromir.jpg
How then to obtain the blood of a god? But Jauffre solved it. The blood of Tiber Septim himself, who became one of the Divines.

boromir.jpg
This is a secret remembered only by the Blades, passed down from one Grandmaster to the next. Jauffre should tell it to you himself.

Oblivion2009-07-0120-28-48-35.jpg

jauffre.jpg
The Armor is in the Shrine of Tiber Septim, in the catacombs beneaththe ruins of Sancre Tor. A holy place, once.

jauffre.jpg
But Sancre Tor became evil long ago. No one has returned from the Shrine of Tiber Septim for many lifetimes.

Oblivion2009-07-0120-29-13-25.jpg

As usual, I will pick the second option.

jauffre.jpg
Most likely.

snails.jpg
YEEEEEE!!!!!

jauffre.jpg
The four mightiest Blades of Tiber Septim's day, Alain, Valdemar, Rielus, and Casnar, went to Sancre Tor and never returned.

jauffre.jpg
Here, this is the key to Sancre Tor's outer door. I fear I am sending you to your death, but we have no other choice. You must succeed.

snails.jpg
Aw, I hate dese ruins and graves an' shit!

jauffre.jpg
It's the only way! Now, get your black ass to Sancre Tor and don't swipe anything besides the armor!

Oblivion2009-07-0121-15-49-84.jpg

This is Sancre Tor at night. Spooky!

Oblivion2009-07-0120-42-25-40.jpg

Here is the entrance. It is a fairly standard Oblivion dungeon. Look at some screenshots if you want to see more.

Eventually, we get to some blueish skeleton guy and, after beating his ass a bit, he becomes this ghost guy.

Oblivion2009-07-0120-46-52-43.jpg

Apparently, this ghost guy was one of the Blades mentioned above. He and his comrades were cursed by Zurin Arctus, the Underking, and made to stand guard for eternity. Now, I stopped caring about Elder Scrolls lore after Oblivion, so I don't know much about this Underking. Can anyone fill in the details?

snails.jpg
Screw who he be! Smash his ass!

Calm down, Snails! Apparently, he left long ago, so now all we have to do is beat up three more Blades, and then we can get the armor and get out of here.

snails.jpg
Tccch! Fine!

Here are some screenshots of the skeletons. They all go down pretty easily.

Oblivion2009-07-0120-53-22-89.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0121-01-56-09.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0121-04-47-35.jpg

After getting them all, I head back to the throne room.

Oblivion2009-07-0121-12-18-39.jpg

The four Blades then deactivate the forcefield around the Mausoleum of Tiber Septim ....

Oblivion2009-07-0121-12-37-42.jpg

... thereby allowing me to swipe the armor!

I then return to Martin.

boromir.jpg
You can reassure Jauffre that I will not destroy the armor. All I need is a scraping of Talos's divine blood.

It's not like Oblivion actually gives you this option, of course!

boromir.jpg
The Blades are as touchy as priests about relics of Tiber Septim, it seems!

snails.jpg
They are also pretty touchy with the ladies too!

boromir.jpg

snails.jpg
What?

boromir.jpg

snails.jpg
Oh fine! What else do I need to do?

boromir.jpg
The third item we need is a Great Welkynd Stone.

snails.jpg
A whatzit now?

boromir.jpg
You may have run across lesser Welkynd Stones; they are fairly common in Ayleid ruins.

snails.jpg
Nope.

boromir.jpg
Well, anyway, a Great Welkynd Stone will not be easy to come by.

snails.jpg
It figures!

boromir.jpg
There is only one place that is rumored to still contain one: the ruins of the Ayleid city of Miscarand.

boromir.jpg
It is said that the ruins are still haunted by the vengeful spirit of its last king. True or not, it is not a place to enter lightly. Be careful.

boromir.jpg
You might find 'Glories and Laments Amon the Ayleid Ruins' useful. I have the library's copy at my table if you need it.

Here it is!

Oblivion2009-07-0121-19-57-62.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0121-20-20-45.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0121-20-54-82.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0121-21-38-57.jpg

I then travel to Miscarand.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-17-15-57.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0223-21-13-81.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0223-21-42-62.jpg

Miscarand is a three-level dungeon. The first two mostly involve a fight between goblins and zombies. The third seems to be just zombies.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-58-30-76.jpg

If you want a little money, make sure to grab the Lesser Welkynd Stones littered around the dungeon.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-22-11-57.jpg

Here are some of the goblins now!

snails.jpg
Whoopie! </sarcasm>

Oblivion2009-07-0223-22-21-56.jpg

After all that running Snails has done, he has become an apprentice in Athletics. Apparently, everytime a skill hits 25, 50, 75 or 100, the player gets a silly little ability in addition to better usage.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-23-13-65.jpg

Miscarand has several of these stupid little gates that only open once I have found the switch.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-28-39-04.jpg

This is what the chests in Ayleid ruins look like.

Now, here is a quick guide to the stupid switches on the second level.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-52-02-21.jpg

This switch ...

Oblivion2009-07-0223-52-08-28.jpg

... located here ....

Oblivion2009-07-0223-52-27-06.jpg

will open the cage to this Varla Stone. I can't remember what it does, though.

Now then, ...

Oblivion2009-07-0223-50-57-89.jpg

this button ...

Oblivion2009-07-0223-51-12-40.jpg

located here will open the way to the third level.

The third level is pretty straightforward.

Oblivion2009-07-0223-55-48-56.jpg

I just grab the Great Welkynd Stone and ....

Oblivion2009-07-0223-57-58-15.jpg

face the Lich King ...

Oblivion2009-07-0223-58-01-06.jpg

and his badass zombie minions. Pretty simple, really!

Oblivion2009-07-0223-58-44-37.jpg

Here is a better photo of the undead king. I make sure to grab the key from his corpse and get out of here!

Oblivion2009-07-0300-00-39-87.jpg

Nice! It looks to be a straight-shot to the exit ...

Oblivion2009-07-0300-00-45-60.jpg

snails.jpg
Aw hell! I be trapped!

Oblivion2009-07-0300-00-52-01.jpg

Apparently, this is a secret door.

Anyway, I blow dis joint to go play some other games for a bit. See ya' later!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeeee!

So...basically the main quest is just a sequence of dungeon crawls?

Best design ever

Elzair

Cipher
Chapter 8: I Do Sum Oth'r Shit!

Chapter 8: I Do Sum Oth'r Shit!

Welcome to another Oblivion update!

snails.jpg
Are we done yet?

No.

snails.jpg
Awww man! I just wanta make time with some smokin' bitches with big-ass bundunkadunks!! Why do ahh haveta save dis dumbass world!

Because that is how you win the game?

snails.jpg
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Anyway, this update will be a little different. Since I noticed that I have not covered some of Oblivion's game mechanics that do not feature prominently in the main quest, I will cover some today. This means that there will be no dungeon crawls!

snails.jpg
It's about damn time!

Let's get started!

Oblivion2009-07-0219-14-47-97.jpg

Snails travels to Skingrad. Here is a small bit of it.

Oblivion2009-07-0219-15-01-49.jpg

snails.jpg
Who's 'dat?

Let's find out!

Oblivion2009-07-0219-15-05-22.jpg

snails.jpg
I ain't fallin' fo' 'dat? He's prolly jest some sick-ass cracka' who wants a piece of Snail-bootay!

Who would want you?

snails.jpg
Who wants ME?! Everybody! I mean look at 'dis dick!

You HAVE to be kidding!

snails.jpg
Once yeh go black, yeh don't go back!

Fine! If you do not want to do the quest, it is okay with me. It was a pretty stupid quest, anyway.

Let's move on.

Oblivion2009-07-0218-21-56-58.jpg

Now, I need my sword and armor repaired, so let's head to the blacksmith!

Oblivion2009-07-0218-22-18-22.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0218-22-36-11.jpg

This is Agnette the Pickled. She is the blacksmith in these here parts.

snails.jpg
Pickled! Wut does she got pickled?!

Believe me, you don't want to know.

snails.jpg
Aw man! Dat is nasty! Skinflute is a nasty place!

Skingrad.

snails.jpg
Bless You!

Oblivion2009-07-0218-30-02-67.jpg

Since I want a good deal, I will try to boost her disposition towards me. There are two ways to do it: bribe her with gold or play the Influence minigame. Disposition does not seem to matter much, though. She has a high Mercantile skill, though, so I might want to wander around town to find a sucker.

Here are some random photos around Skingrad.

Oblivion2009-07-0218-37-11-63.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0218-37-18-80.jpg

Oblivion2009-07-0218-37-31-69.jpg

Check out that statue!

snails.jpg
I bet it has birdshit all over it!

Maybe the Skingradis clean it?

snails.jpg
Hah! Nobody in dis here world does anything.

Point taken.

Oblivion2009-07-0219-16-02-64.jpg

I head to the Colovian Traders ...

Oblivion2009-07-0218-38-16-58.jpg

... and meet Gundar. I then haggle with him some.

Oblivion2009-07-0219-16-44-88.jpg

This is the haggle screen; it is where the Mercantile skill is put to use. A higher Mercantile skill allows me to buy items cheaper and sell items for more gold. I can slide the bar as far to the right as I want, but if I raise it too high, the merchant will likely refuse the transaction, and I will lower their disposition. It does not matter much, because their disposition minimally impacts the price of goods. First I sold a gem to Gundar when he had a disposition of 30; then, I sold him the same gem when he had a disposition of 80. It only affected the price by 3%. The two most important factors seem to be the Mercantile skill of the PC and of the merchant.

Oblivion2009-07-0219-18-03-97.jpg

This is the transaction screen. It looks just like inventory screen. Notice where the screen reads "Gundar coinsymbol 800". This means that Gundar can only buy an item worth less than 800 gold coins. In Morrowind (and probably the earlier games, but I can't remember them very well) each merchant had a maximum amount of gold. Unfortunately, the amount was set so low for all merchants that selling high-end items (without using mods) could be an incredibly tedious process. Of course that did not stop merchants from selling items and services (like enchanting) for way more money than anyone (else) could afford. Morrowind has the same problem as Mount & Blade.

A Long Hard Look at Mount & Blade said:
RPG developers the world over lack one thing: Basic economic sense. They build these absurd economies in their games without actually thinking it through. Let's take a simple real-world example. There exist vehicles that cost over $1 million to buy. Do you know what that means? It means two things. Firstly, there are people out there with millions of dollars. Secondly, they're not only able to buy these expensive vehicles, they're able to sell them as well. This is where Mount & Blades trading system comes crashing down.

Instead of trying to design a remotely feasible economy, Oblivion developers have just given merchants infinite gold and capped the amount of gold they can give away in a single transaction. Oh well! At least it is not so damn tedious!

Since I want a better price, I will show you the Influence minigame.

Oblivion2009-07-0218-39-09-52.jpg

I have four options to influence this NPC's opinion of me: Admire, Boast, Coerce and Joke. Each NPC will like two options (i.e. it increases their disposition) and hate the other two (vice-versa). The red-yellow slices indicate how much each option will affect the NPC's disposition (the bigger the slice, the greater the effect). I may only use each option once, and I must use all four options. The slices seem to start at random positions, and they rotate clockwise after every choice is made. Also, the NPC will lose disposition over time, so it pays to be quick. The number in the center represents his disposition. The best strategy is, of course, to land the big slices on the options the NPC likes and land the small slices on the options the NPC hates. If his reputation is higher than it was at the beginning of the minigame, then I save; otherwise, I reload.

Oblivion2009-07-0218-40-52-69.jpg

I keep doing this, and I soon max his disposition. Now, it can only be raised by increasing my Reputation (i.e. doing important good deeds) or by bribing him.

Anyway, I unload most of the loot I have accumulated.

snails.jpg
Accumulated?! Does 'dat mean 'looted'?

Pretty much!

Well, I know it was not much of an update, but that is all for now. Next time, I will show you the Cthulhu-inspired Aid For Bruma quest.

Ammar

Scholar
How did you get your textures messed up? Is it just the windows?

Bloodeyes

Arcane
What's with all the praise? If anything he's making Oblivion even lamer. Am I the only one concerned about the danger this thread poses to spacetime?

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
im playing a game with a few mods now, never finished or got very far into it.

horribly dissapointed in the 2 levelling mods i have...

installed fresescos or something but my beef is that its supposed to provide statically leveled areas, but they never tell you what level the areas are... but everywhere i go i alwasy seem to get the same xp for kills from my levelling mod so i think something is broken somewhere...

and i have a xp based levelling mod which levels so fucking slow im doing non-storyline quests to get xp to get higher levels... im at the SPIEZ part but was only level 9 and my skills sucked fucking ass... so i modifed how quick you got xp. would be nice to have xp level system that doesnt disable the "gain while using" as it sucks. of course it could just be the xp levelling mod im using now...

i also have a mod that regens your hp/magic faster than normal and also lets your magic weapons recharge on their own ala morrowind.

so far my biggest dissapointment is i cannot stand the original beth levelling system, and i dont really like the one i have now either.

but what mod are you using for those kick ass texture packs? those are much better than mine...

my game also crashes every 20-30 minutes with one of those windows error reporting shits. so i save constantly now. dont know why its crashing so badly either.

Ammar

Scholar
TheWesDude said:
my game also crashes every 20-30 minutes with one of those windows error reporting shits. so i save constantly now. dont know why its crashing so badly either.

Hmm, did it become worse with time? Oblivion has the funny quirk that using Quicksave slowly corrupts the game files over time. I think it's just Oblivion.esm, so if you have a backup... Otherwise new install might help.

Elzair

Cipher
BTW, I am now working on the Aid For Bruma quest update. It will be a long one, so please bump this to the next page.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, it is roughly finished. Now, I need to upload the pictures!

racofer

Thread Incliner
I just can't read this LP. Despite the lulzy lines (not part of the game, obviously), the rest is so completely filled with shit that it hurts mah brainz.

Elzair

Cipher
racofer, if you can't read the previous chapters, then you should DEFINITELY not read the upcoming chapter! It will drive you insane like it did me!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom