Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
+1 for Forsyth. Then whomever else has amusing lines.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The campaign is done! All that is left is to type everything out.

But before we do that, let's quickly recap the previous Alliance mission from the American side.
First, Burlak proves that he is one sneaky bastard.
Macmillan.jpg
- Peter says they’re close to a breakthrough. He could really use the artefact from your old base, Major.
Gorky.jpg
- It’s no longer there.
Macmillan.jpg
- How do you know?
Gorky.jpg
- Because I hid it before I came here.
Macmillan.jpg
- So we never had to attack the Arabian base! You had another Artefact in your possession all along!
Well, technically, Burlak had the second Artefact, and the Arabs had the third, so if we wanted all the shinies we would have to attack them anyway.
Gorky.jpg
- We can still fetch it, colonel, and then we shall have all pieces. It is good news I think.
Macmillan.jpg
- If I’d have known...
Gorky.jpg
- You might have delayed the attack, and the Arabs may have become stronger, and...
Macmillan.jpg
- Don’t screw me around, Burlak! I want the facts when I make a decision. I thought I could trust you!
Gorky.jpg
- You can!
Macmillan.jpg
- Why the hell would I believe that now?
Gorky.jpg
- Let us collect the other artefact alone, colonel. If we see trouble I will prove you can rely on Burlak.
Macmillan.jpg
- OK. Let’s get moving.

These are the starting lines:
Gorky.jpg
- This looks like the area.
Macmillan.jpg
- How the hell do you know, there’s nothing here.
Gorky.jpg
- Precisely. I knew it would be safe from prying eyes. The place is west of here.
They work a bit better than in the Russian campaign, where Burlak says 'it is how the Professor described it'. I mean, 'move until you reach the middle of nowhere, then turn West' is not the greatest of references, is it? :)

The editor has helpful comments for the voice actors on how to pronounce Russian obscenities.
Gorky.jpg
- Khui! (pronounced Kh -ui, kh like in German das buch, ui like in ruin). Americans bastards! Sorry, colonel!
Macmillan.jpg
- What the hell are they doing here? There were no plans for patrols in this area.
However, nowhere does it say that its use is entirely inappropriate here. The voiceover correctly substitutes 'khui' for 'blyad'. :M

The conversation upon sighting of the base goes roughly like in in the Russian branch, except it's Joan who picks up our call instead of some nameless soldier. If she is alive, of course, which she usually is by that point. Gorky also has a few extra comments.
Macmillan.jpg
- What's going on? There’s no reason for a base here. And where the hell are the people?
Gorky.jpg
- I have a bad feeling. This base is built since I am here.
Macmillan.jpg
- (into radio) Freedom, this is John Macmillan. We’ve found an American base here that seems to be abandoned.
9_joan.jpg
- Thank God you called in, we’ve been trying to contact you. We intercepted a call you need to hear. Transmitting now.
Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) General Powell, we’re in the area. The observation base is finished and we’re proceeding with the test explosion.
Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- (noisy) Collect as much data as you can. Visual observation is crucial!
Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) That’s going to put lives in danger sir. Automatic observation posts can take the measurements just as well.
Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- (noisy) (shouting) I gave you an order!
Rus_Hugh_radio.jpg
- (noisy) Yes sir! Test targets are ready now. Evacuate the area; I repeat evacuate the target area now. Wait for my signal, I’m performing the visual observation myself.
Macmillan.jpg
- Jesus. They still managed to build the bomb!
Gorky.jpg
- Your commander sounds as ruthless as ours. No wonder you left!
9_joan.jpg
- John, I think the explosion’s going to be east of you. Move before they detonate. Hurry!
Macmillan.jpg
- The abandoned depot! This must be the test site!
Gorky.jpg
- And those vehicles the observation posts. I think we better move!

Burlak is a smartass. No wonder Platonov does not like him.
Macmillan.jpg
- My God, I've never seen anything like it.
Gorky.jpg
- Lord have mercy on us.
Macmillan.jpg
- The earth’s scorched, the whole area must be contaminated. Head any further and Siberite radiation will kill you.
Gorky.jpg
- Maybe the Arabs weren't crazy to try and destroy Siberite.
Macmillan.jpg
- We can't leave Powell with this ability. We have to get their data.
Gorky.jpg
- Give him a call, maybe he’ll post it to you.
Macmillan.jpg
- You heard the broadcast. There’s a scientific base nearby. Powell wouldn’t expect anyone to be here so the defenses are probably weak. If we move fast, we can get our hands on the data before it reaches him.

But he is a very amiable smartass! And John is not too far behind him in that regard. The conversation with Stevens - who is definitely alive by that point if only because you hadn't have the chance to kill him yet - goes a bit differently, should you decide to negotialte.
Macmillan.jpg
- Stop fighting. This is colonel Macmillan speaking. You all know me, and this is major Gorky...
Gorky.jpg
- Burlak, John. Please, call me Burlak.
Macmillan.jpg
- ...everybody knows him as Burlak! Now listen, you have no chance of defending this base and I haven't joined the Alliance in order to kill my old friends. I’m offering you a deal, give me the plans for the Siberite bomb and the research data and I'll give you free passage back to Alpha.
5_Stevens.jpg
- You’re a traitor and a coward, Macmillan. I’d sooner die than hand over our plans, but I can’t ask others to do the same. (Walks toward John) Here’s the plans. I hope you blow yourself to pieces with them.
Macmillan.jpg
- There’s probably nothing Joan and her colleagues haven’t worked out already but thanks anyway, Hugh, you saved me a lot of ammunition!
5_Stevens.jpg
- (grunts)

And I think that is it. The rest of the mission is completely identical to the Russian one.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Platonov's route is all done, too. I knew it would be highly requested.

I don't think the American Alliance path needs a separate branch - it is identical to the Russian one except for a few differences (Masha!) and one mission that deals with Macmillan's escape from Alpha. On the other hand, that mission is definitely one of the highlights of the game, as it shows how versatile it can be. You have to sneak around the base and talk to a select few soldiers you want to defect together with, and you have to avoid patrols - not only for your safety, but also because you do not want to kill your former friends. There is also a relationship subplot, where a certain character would refuse to go with you if you have another character in the roster. There is even a 'Mediator' achievement on Steam for managing to recruit both.

It is a puzzle mission, and I love those.

Anyway, ITZ TIEM!

Mission 15. War is Peace.
2015_11_05_234309.jpg

Area of the primary deposit; March 26, ERA + 2
The ominous news of the American success in research of the Alaskite bomb requires immediate action. All sides move their forces to the area, where they suspect the ultimate deposits of Alaskite are to be found.

That's the team we are going with. Gladkov, Gleb and Forsyth may not be the best soldiers around, but that's what the Codex requested. :salute:
2015_11_07_180024.jpg

Also, note that scientists are basically superhumans. Kozlov, Gossudarov, Kapitsova and Peterson all have their stats through the roof. Gorky looks downright mediocre in comparison.

The epic tale begins with the two commanders discussing their options.
2015_11_07_180050.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- This is the area where the Alaskite should be. There’s no time to lose. The Americans have the bomb and if I know comrade Platonov, the Russians aren’t far behind. We must stop them.
Macmillan.jpg
- You’re right. The Arabians aren’t an issue, and the Legion will go with us if we look like winning.
Gorky.jpg
- This battle will decide the future for all of us.

There is not a lot of them. Both Americans and Russians need to be stopped. Fast.

Primary objectives received:
- Stop the other nations from developing an Alaskite bomb.

Heh, easier said than done.

The vehicle selection you get for the mission is random, to a degree. You will get all the 'heavy' ones (gun/heavy gun/rocket launcher), but how many of each you'll get and which ones will be Russian/American, oil/Alaskite or wheeled/tracked is left up to chance.
2015_11_07_180150.jpg

We still got Masha, so everything is alright. Also, Burlak brought the American Alaskite-powered bulldozer from the previous mission. We'll be making use of it soon. :M

The map is roughly the same as in the American campaign. We start on the ridge where the Legion base was in the Final Countdown. Now, we could probably build a base here and join the free-for-all, however, with this many tanks it would be easier to just take someone else's base instead.

My vehicles are mostly tracked, so they have no trouble leaving the area through a steep slope in the center. However, I got an old oil-powered wheeled heavy gun tank model that can't leave in this fashion and has to find another way out...
2015_11_07_180710.jpg

...triggering the American defenses in the process. At least we know where they are.
2015_11_07_180738.jpg

Judging by the amount of turrets, it must be their main entrance.
2015_11_07_180822.jpg

Now, if I was younger and more YOLO, I would storm them right there and then. I actually did that two times, I think. That's generally a bad idea, because not only their defense is thickest here, but also because we are right in the middle between them and the Russians, and if we stay there, those will be regularly hitting us in the back trying to get to their enemies. Not ideal.

Also the Americans would ride out themselves from time to time. Not that it works all that well. :lol:
2015_11_07_180932.jpg

But I think we would be better off trying another entry point to the south. We would need to throw off the pursuit, first.
2015_11_07_181123.jpg

Unfortunately, I will have to leave the old heavy gun tank behind, as wheels can't climb that slope.

And I could use every bit of firepower I have. They are pretty well-entrenched!
2015_11_07_181446.jpg

However, we have the best drivers while they have mostly automated cannons. Not even engineers and remote-controlled vehicles they occasionally send our way can make our offensive falter. The American bulldozer does a number on their turrets...
2015_11_07_181836.jpg

...and Masha, driven by Gossudarov, is not far behind.
2015_11_07_182312.jpg

One should be careful not to go too deep into the base - you do not want to find yourself between double laser turrets. Those can fry anything that passes between them.

After their initial defense line is broken, we take a brief break to repair and regroup. It looks like they do, too. They try to rebuild the destroyed turrets...
2015_11_07_182622.jpg

...but our repairs finish faster.
2015_11_07_183153.jpg

At about that moment I hear gunfire and explosions coming from the north. I send the idling heavy gun tank to investigate... Yup, the Russians are attacking the Americans as well.
2015_11_07_182720.jpg

Caught between the two forces, they can't handle the pressure and let us cut a path to their warehouse through their power plants.
2015_11_07_183656.jpg

The warehouse is down, and with it they lose the power lines. The turrets go dead. They are completely at our mercy.
2015_11_07_184207.jpg

There is supposed to be a bit of an exchange if Powell is still alive.

Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- You treacherous shits will never defeat us. We'll fight till the last breath. Never give up. Never surrender!
Macmillan.jpg
- Still having trouble facing reality, general. You’re finished and I’m going to wipe you out personally.

However, he was either killed earlier, or the section was commented out of the game, because what we get instead is this:
2015_11_07_184300.jpg

Am_Surrender.jpg
- Major Gorky, I am now acting commander of this US Army Group. I’m giving you our unconditional surrender. Hostile operations will end immediately.

The Americans all pack up and leave. Unlike the Legionaries in the Final Countdown, none volunteer to join our mission. Ah, well. 12 people is not a lot, but it is are all the men we need.

Let's see what we've got. Here is the northern half of the base.
2015_11_07_184348.jpg

And here are the ruins of the southern half. Neat base!
2015_11_07_184515.jpg

If only it were functional! The turrets on the right are mostly manned. That makes them more effective than automated ones, but I absolutely can't spare the manpower to sit idly and wait for the enemies to come. I guess I will need to convert them to automated turrets and then restore the power plants I bulldozed earlier to get everything online. And I need to repair everything before the Russians come to visit again. That's a bit of a headache.

At least our prodigal tank can finally unite with its fellows!
One side is out of the race. Only the Russians remain now, but they are going to require a bit more finesse.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 15. We Are Legion.
But the most interesting stuff awaits us in the lab. We can now research Alien Technology!
2015_11_07_185343.jpg

I retool several manual turrets into automatic ones, though I still leave two forward cannons to be manned by Forsyth and Petrovova, my best soldiers. However, I have made a mistake. The turrets become very vulnerable during reconstruction. A well-placed missile blows them up instantly. I should have done it on a case-by-case basis. :roll:
2015_11_07_185540.jpg

Looks like I will have to rely on my own tanks for a while.

Good news is, we have finally made some progress on the Artefacts!
2015_11_07_190722.jpg

8_Kozlov.jpg
- We’ve made some advances in our study of the Artefacts, commander. We have learnt they are pieces of old machinery.
Gorky.jpg
- I could see they weren’t brand new!
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Commander, when I say they’re old, I am talking about billions of years! It’s incredible they have survived. We believe they may have produced power, but we still have more to discover.
Peterson.jpg
- We discussed it with our Russian colleagues and we agreed that we shall split the Artefacts we have – in our lab we research the one from the US base, in the Russian lab they'll research theirs.
Gorky.jpg
- What about the one we took from Arabians?
8_Kozlov.jpg
- This is more of a mystery. We’re not quite sure where to begin with this one. One day we will have filled in enough of the puzzle to see where it fits in.

American labs is all I have now, so I unload the Artefact Americans brought with them near the lab and order the research. Soon enough they bring me news.

Peterson.jpg
- Commander! We have discovered the function of our Artefact. It’s an observation device . Using it we can observe any place in this area for a brief duration. The operation is powered by Siberite, which is consumed in the process. Afterwards it takes a little time to recharge.
Gorky.jpg
- Excellent work.

Let's test it. We target the spot where the hidden Alliance base was in the American campaign, and we find...
2015_11_07_191244.jpg

...the Legion. Fairly predictable. There is not a lot of suitable spots for base-building.

There is a bit of an unfair competition for crates, seeing how they bring support for their cargo vehicles, and I don't. RUN!
2015_11_07_191557.jpg

The Russian Attacks grow bolder, but I have rebuilt the fortifications, so my scientists can work undisturbed while the automated defense sorts everything out.
2015_11_07_192513.jpg

The game does not communicate clearly how the artefacts work, but it looks like they need someone to be in the lab to recharge. In about 3 to 5 minutes you will be able to use it again. Here is the Russian cargo vehicle bringing back the crates it stole from under my nose. :argh:
2015_11_07_192702.jpg

And sometimes we get one over it. Having both Materialization Prediction and Materialization Detection helps a lot.
2015_11_07_193125.jpg

However, we won't advance far with a single Artefact. We need to research a second one, and for that, we need a Russian lab, and specialize it in Alaskite and Space-time research.
2015_11_07_193242.jpg

Kind of hard to remember which Artefact 'belongs' to which nation, but after a bit of experimenting we finally find the right one.
2015_11_07_193730.jpg

Here is my team of Artefact explorers. The créme de la créme of the scientific world! :incline:
2015_11_07_193808.jpg

And while they are busy, the rest of my men construct another lab, to specialize it in Weapons and Computers research.
2015_11_07_194330.jpg

Alaskite research bears fruit. We can not detect the location of any Alaskite-related structure or unit on the map. Meaning that we can see their tanks long before they arrive, as they are all exclusively Alaskite-powered.
2015_11_07_194341.jpg

Six tanks. That's quite vicious!
2015_11_07_194444.jpg

However, I have seen them coming and have a driver in the radio tower to take control of my remote laser vehicle I captured when we seized the base. It really helps.
2015_11_07_194625.jpg

I would build more of those, but apparently I can't, not unless I research lasers! Even though the extension is built and we have a working prototype! WTF, game?! :decline:
Mission Accomplished.

- You failed to develop lasers.
Uh, right. :M

After a while, the scientists report their findings concerning the second Artefact.
8_Kozlov.jpg
- We have researched our Artefact, comrade commander. It has a very interesting property. It can cause Alaskite in any man-made vehicle or building to explode spontaneously. Just tell us what you want to hit and we can do it.
Gorky.jpg
- This is incredible!
Macmillan.jpg
- Our enemies won’t know what’s hit them.

There is a caveat, though. You have to have a line of sight on the target. That's where the first Artefact comes in! We reveal the location of the rest of the Russian base, target a newly-built vehicle inside the enemy factory, and it explodes the moment it leaves the building.
2015_11_08_144301.jpg

Now we have a definite advantage over the enemies! However, we can't sit idly and try to destroy them structure by structure. It would take too long, and we are on a timer.

So we need to think of something else. The next attack will be repelled by Gorky, personally. Why bother, you ask?
2015_11_08_145236.jpg

Because the Russian scientists now have access to the hacking technology, which allows us to reprogram computer-controlled vehicles and put them under our control. After we disable the vehicles, we need a mechanic to preserve them until the scientists get to them, then repair them to a semi-working condition.
2015_11_08_145850.jpg

The first vehicle is repainted and is slowly drifting to our base. The rest will soon follow.
2015_11_08_150042.jpg

Quite a nice catch! Let your enemies build the army for you! Haxx0rz for the win!
2015_11_08_150306.jpg

We could probably recycle them and get a nice boost to our income, but the crates are plentiful in this mission...
2015_11_08_150318.jpg

...and we don't have time to build something more useful - not to mention that we don't have a Russian workshop. So we'll just be using them as shock troops, to go first and take the brunt of the damage.

In the meantime, we fish for more! The scientists no longer even bother with disabling them first, they just reprogram them on the move. :lol:
2015_11_08_151510.jpg

There may be enough crates for everyone, but not everyone gets enough. I get greedy, and am punished.
2015_11_08_152310.jpg

RIP, automated cargo vehicle. :salute:

At the same time I am preparing the attack on the Arabian base. Through my Artefacts I scout the location of their defenses and dispose of any self-propelled bombs I find. I don't need to run into one of these guys again.
2015_11_08_152503.jpg

And because there is no kill like overkill, I build a pair of Behemoths in the base. They don't require a Russian workshop as they won't fit inside anyway.
2015_11_08_152704.jpg

I leave 3 people in the old base - two to manage the Artefacts, and one to remotely control a part of the assault force. The rest I take with me - and what do I find on the way down?
2015_11_08_153209.jpg

Karma is a bitch! :obviously:

I think we only need Masha and we will be ready to attack the Arabs/mercenaries/whatever the Legion is.
2015_11_08_153725.jpg

Hopefully they will put up a fight and won't run away at a sight of our armada, as would be expected of any sane man. :cool:
Place your bets on who would emerge as the victor in a brutal battle that will follow!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I dunno, something tells me that the one who has highly advanced alien technology, plus A LOT of automated tanks and a few mobile fortresses filled with guns has a slight advantage above the others, but I may be mistaken. :M

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there something in the editor about the third artifact? Or is it just multiplayer stuff?

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 15. Jumping through hoops.
Okay. Masha is in position. We are ready to bulldoze our way in. I really need it, because taking 20 tanks trough the forest without first claering a path for them is just asking for trouble.
2015_11_08_154023.jpg

Eventually both bulldozers, the American and the Russian one, come in the Arabian turret range. Not like that nuisance would stop them.
2015_11_08_154143.jpg

My Artefacts recharge again, and I give my tanks vision, while simultaneously ridding the world of yet another self-propelled bomb. Frank Forsyth - once a sniper, always a sniper.
2015_11_08_154252.jpg

My tanks have problems finding their way into the base all at once, so I split them into two groups and attack from two directions. Some call it tactics, I call it necessity.
2015_11_08_154415.jpg

Gorky is leading the assault, and Gladkov is backing him up with Masha.
2015_11_08_154535.jpg

Together, they bring total devastation to their enemies.
2015_11_08_154634.jpg

The soldier inside the turret is re-evaluating his life choices right now.
2015_11_08_154723.jpg

The Arabs all use drugs combat stims, so they don't fall unconscious when they go into red hitpoints. The wounded can withdraw, and the medics will congregate around them, trying to heal them... which sometimes might be a poor idea.
2015_11_08_154910.jpg

Especially considering the amount of splash damage our force composition can dish out. It is a slaughterhouse.
2015_11_08_154957.jpg

Note Masha in the upper right corner going MAXIMUM FUCK on a rocket turret. :salute:

Finally, Masha gets rid of the turret and forces a soldier out, who then proceeds to vent his frustration on her. The bulldozer catches fire and the engine conks out, but the limited teleportation sees us to safety before we take any more damage.
2015_11_08_155029.jpg

To their credit, the mercenaries do not surrender. Or maybe they just did not have time. The assault took us half a minute at most. :lol:
2015_11_08_155134.jpg

But what is that strange structure in the middle of their base? It does not look like it was built by the Arabs.
2015_11_08_155154.jpg

Gleb.jpg
- What the hell is that?
Gorky.jpg
- Looks like the TAWAR.
Roth.jpg
- This is incredible. The largest Artefact we've seen. God knows what secrets it holds.
Gossudarov.jpg
- We have to set up a base there, comrade commander. We must research the Artefact, it may be the key to incredible things.

Will do. I have brought Macmillan with me as an engineer for the very same purpose. Together with Peterson they quickly take over the former Legion base.
2015_11_08_163727.jpg

Gossudarov.jpg
- So now we can begin to explore the amazing structure. Make sure that the Artefact from Arabian base is nearby and just select the men you want to assign to it and send them inside.

Whatever you say, Professor. We bring the third Artefact before it, and...
2015_11_08_164532.jpg

TA-DAAAAH!

While we do that, I have Frank and Gleb - the guys I have left back at Powell's base - spy on the Russians and destroy any time-lapser turrets they find. Those are highly annoying.
2015_11_08_164742.jpg

The Behemoths couldn't make it in time for the assault on the Arabian base (speed 5, ugh!), so we repurpose them to bulldoze the eastern forest, to clear a path to the Russian base.
2015_11_08_164936.jpg

More counter-attacks by the Russians. Though they are getting pretty stale at this point, especially when I have automated building cranes to instantly repair any damage they cause.
2015_11_08_165200.jpg

We also can't forget our roots. If there is an assault on Russian base, I want a bazooka with us, if only because of their time-slowing special grenades. Macmillan will become one, as he is pretty useless as a driver anyway.
2015_11_08_165230.jpg

Aaaaand... we have a BREAKTHROUGH!
2015_11_08_165330.jpg

8_Kozlov.jpg
- Comrade, we have learnt the purpose of the Alien building. Or at least we’ve learnt how we can use it.
Gorky.jpg
- Fill us in please.
8_Kozlov.jpg
- It's a mass teleport. Unlike the ones we designed, it can move any amount of people or vehicles.
Gorky.jpg
- This is excellent comrade. So how do we enter?
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Whatever you wish to move, just station it around this building and tell us to activate, and that is it. They will be instantly teleported to the location you choose.
Gorky.jpg
- So we can move our forces all over during the battle?
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Unfortunately the operation requires a large amount of Alaskite and the Artefact will be recharging for several days after use. It can only be used once in this battle.
Gorky.jpg
- This is still fantastic.
Maczooka.jpg
- It’s the kind of advantage that could win us the war.

There's the button.
2015_11_08_165436.jpg

Alright, let's see the range on this thing. Hm, not a very big one. Which means we will have to clear the site of buildings. The power plants are in the way, as is the depot. They will have to go.
2015_11_08_170224.jpg

Let's pack as tightly as we can. Burlak and Macmillan both claim bulldozers of their respective factions for themselves. After all, Burlak has promised that his tank will always be in the frontline, and you can't get closer to the frontline than in a freaking BULLDOZER!
2015_11_08_170719.jpg

There are:
4 manned heavy gun tanks (3 Russian, 1 American)
2 manned gun tanks (both Russian)
3 remote-controlled rocket launchers (all American)
2 remote-controlled double laser tanks (both American, obviously)
4 automated heavy gun tanks (all Russian)
4 automated heavy rocket launchers (all Russian)
2 BULLDOZERS, (one Russian, one American, crewed by our glorious leaders)

21 vehicle in total!

This will be the ultimate showdown to determine who is a better man with a better 'dozer! The question of Alliance leadership will finally be solved once and for all!

Just as other Artefacts, this one requires someone to be inside the building to activate its properties. The job goes to Peter Roth. He won't be coming with us, but he is not of much use as a mechanic, so it's not a great loss.

3... 2... 1... READY? GO!!! (pushes the button).

...(pushes the button again)... (and again)...

NOTHING HAPPENS!

Intelligence check!
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Unfortunately the operation requires a large amount of Alaskite.
[...]
The power plants are in the way, as is the depot. They will have to go.

Perception check!

No depot in sight. There is nowhere to store Alaskite.

:rage::rage::rage:

Okay, we throw Macmillan out and get the cargo vehicle in to collect Alaskite that was left where the depot once stood. At the same time, two building cranes start working on a new one.
2015_11_08_173256.jpg

Meanwhile, there are more futile attacks from the Russians.
2015_11_08_173411.jpg

And more lapser-turret sniping from me. After all, this is the location where I want to move my tanks to. I would greatly prefer it if they wouldn't be slowed to a crawl upon arrival.
2015_11_08_173520.jpg

As a bonus, the Artefacts also grant vision for my Behemoths who have positioned themselves right under the base. They will support our offensive.

We press the AWESUM button and are ready to go in 7 seconds. The timer is there if we want to make last-second adjustments before jumping.
2015_11_08_173605.jpg

I signal the Behemoths to begin the assault. Hopefully, they will distract the turrets, allowing the tanks to land safely.
2015_11_08_173624.jpg

There is a loud shifting sound as the space distorts around the Artefact. IT'S HAPPENING! :bounce::bounce::bounce:
2015_11_08_173653.jpg

And then there were no-...
2015_11_08_173654.jpg

Wait, why didn't we take the second double-laser vehicle with us?

Roth, you idiot schlemiel! What the hell am I supposed to do with just one!?
And so, the epic saga in nearing its end. Will surprise buttsex by 21 20 tanks be enough to overwhelm the Russians and bring peace to the Pliocene world? Find out in the last installment of the series, "To the Stars!" :salute:

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Daily reminder that Kozlov is op as fuck. Typical Russian Ubermensch.
Anyway, I always preferred to destroy the ruskies by slowly blowing up their alaskite power plants, it's fun to just drive into their base while their impotent turrets stare at you.

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 15. To the Stars!
We emerge on the other side...
2015_11_08_173702.jpg

...and get to WORK.
2015_11_08_173855.jpg

I have to say, a simultaneous salvo from 18 vehicles looks pretty impressive. Masha notices a still-functioning time-lapser, and slowly creeps forward. We will function at half efficiency unless it goes down, fast.

Macmillan gets out of the bulldozer to throw his magical time-space grenades and deny the defenders their homefield advantage.

We need to disable the warehouse to silence the turrets, but turning tanks in this mess of metal and death while inside of a time-lapser field is a serious challenge.
2015_11_08_173938.jpg

But eventually we manage tu turn half of them. That should do, if Burlak helps us with our little problem. Go, Masha!!
2015_11_08_174007.jpg

The battle for depot is an epic one, especially with all those engineers trying to repair the damage. We are standing in the middle of the base, which means we have the attention of every defensive structure. Those three dots behind the warehouse? They are rocket tanks, and they are shelling our forces mercylessly.
2015_11_08_174132.jpg

Macmillan's 'dozer can't take the heat and blows up first. The Americans tanks do not get the benefits of limited teleportation like Russian ones do. I guess that settles our little argument, then. YOU CAN'T BE A COMMANDER WITHOUT A BULLDOZER!
2015_11_08_174212.jpg

Things are looking tough for Macmillan, even despite throwing time-delaying grenades around, and I am considering hiding him with the help of the partial invisibility device, when the warehouse finaly collapses - and with it, the turrets fall silent.
2015_11_08_174253.jpg

The turrets, but not the enemy tanks. The fighting is still going strong. Dmitry Gladkov is the first one out - the teleportation device threw him completely out of the battle.
2015_11_08_174349.jpg

Hey, what if these turrets were still working? Stupid junk! :argh:

Sometimes - especially when you are in the thick of it and enemies are EVERYWHERE, the algorithm for teleportation gets confused as to which direction would be safest. :M

We confront the Russian Mobile forces head on. With the turrets gone, we have a 4-to-1 advantage. I'd say the odds favor us.
2015_11_08_174443.jpg

33543073.jpg

2015_11_08_174457.jpg

Somehow, even without the power the Russians managed to build a tank that opens fire on us from within the factory.

The retaliatory salvo not only destroys the insolent machinery, but nearly takes down the factory with it. What is this 'proportional responce' everyone is talking about? :M
2015_11_08_174523.jpg

The turrets really did a number on my fortresses. I send Gladkov to fix the burning Behemoth. You'll never know when you need one.
2015_11_08_174601.jpg

The factory crumbles and the mechanics pour forth. That's not a good place to be in, folks.
2015_11_08_174625.jpg

As we blast away at the remaining turrets, trying to get the gunners out, one of the soldiers opens fire on the already heavily damaged Masha, taking her out of the fight...
2015_11_08_174735.jpg

...and moving her next to Gladkov's tank. She is the fifth tank I 'lost' in the battle, the previous victims being Macmillan's bulldozer, remote controlled forever alone laser vehicle, Gladkov's tank, and a Behemoth.
2015_11_08_174751.jpg

But she is also the last one, as the enemy resistance is finally broken.

Or so I think, but these guys just refuse to give up!
2015_11_08_174924.jpg

What should I do, kill everyone in the base? I am pretty sure I could, but I don't want to. The war is nearly over.
2015_11_08_175013.jpg

Again, just as with Powell, there was supposed to be some kind of interaction with Platonov, provided he is still alive by this point.

Platonov_radio.jpg
- You joined our sworn enemy against your own comrades, Gorky! I will not humiliate Russia by negotiating with you.
Gorky.jpg
- We are not negotiating anyway. All I accept is unconditional surrender.

But there isn't, even though I did not see the general anywhere. As I try to move Burlak back to the fight - on foot, because Masha is not going anywhere anytime soon - a soldier emerges from the ruins of a turret and opens fire. Is this it? Are we going to die minutes before our greatest triumph? :argh:
2015_11_08_175044.jpg

Thankfully, we are not.
2015_11_08_175148.jpg

Ru_surrender.jpg
- Burlak, I now speak for all comrades. We don't understand your actions, but we can only surrender now. Fighting is over.

This was long overdue, comrade! :rpgcodex:
2015_11_08_175231.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- So this is the end. Rest in peace, Sevi.
Gossudarov.jpg
- I'm glad it's over. Time to do some real work.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Soviet science prevailed in the end!
Gleb.jpg
- We've beaten Yanks, we've beaten commies, we rule the Pliocene world!
Yep. We definitely broke the commissar. But maybe he'll be better off for it.

The camera pans to each and every one of my people, right where they've met the victory.
2015_11_08_175236.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- Only you could lead us to victory, Burlak.
8_Kapits.jpg
- Now we have all the Alaskite in the world for our research!
8_Kozlov.jpg
- You are the best, Burlak. True son of Russia.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- Well... you could have done worse!
Tsunderes gonna tsundere. :M

And finally, to the Americans.
2015_11_08_175255.jpg

Maczooka.jpg
- So peace has arrived. You have my thanks, Burlak
Roth.jpg
- I'm proud to have worked with you, Burlak. I knew you could do it.
Peterson.jpg
- Finally, we can do some research without being shot at all the time.
Frank.jpg
- So what’s going on here? The good guys won! How the hell did that happen?
I share the sentiment, Frank.

Some quotes from the other named characters who could have been with us on this mission.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- We did it! We did it!
No you didn't. :negative:
Kirienkova.jpg
- Burlak! You made it.
Gnievko.jpg
- I didn’t believe we could do it! We are victorious!
Kuzmov.jpg
- You really kicked their ass, Burlak.
Kovalyuk.jpg
- We pissed all over them!
Shultze.jpg
- At last we can do some research that isn’t interrupted by war!
5_Karamazov.jpg
- You won, Burlak. Only with our help, of course!
Titov.jpg
- You were magnificent, Burlak. You are a true Russian hero.
Oblukov.jpg
- I'm proud of you, commander.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- This is a great day! The war is over!
KFad.jpg
- Russia is proud of you, Burlak.

9_joan_Ghost.jpg
- At last, we can live together in peace.
No you can't. Muh harem dream! :negative:
Lawson.jpg
- You are damned good soldier, Burlak. Fancy dinner?
Nevermind! :incline:
Parker.jpg
- Those bastards finally bit the dust. Who the hell do we fight now!?
Brown.jpg
- So the war is over.
Donaldson.jpg
- Finally! It’s all over.
Ksim.jpg
- Peter! We made it!
Bobby.jpg
- Thank God, it's over. We can stop running and start living.
Corn.jpg
- The mission is over. Let's get on with the rest of our lives.
Gladstone.jpg
- Peace has come. Now we are free.
You know, Tim, I never really figured out how you are still alive when I personaly shot you in the back. :M
Mission accomplished.
2015_11_08_175314.jpg

+ You won this campaign.
+ All Artefact technologies researched.
+ John Macmillan survived.

I figured that since we finally found out who has better 'dozers, we can spare John his 'accident'. As a second-in-command, he is not all that bad. :M

It also helps that his all his female officers now have a crush on Burlak. Except Cathy Simms, she is pining after Roth. In fact, he should be the one to have the next accident instead.

But that is a matter for the future. Now that it belongs neither to America nor to Russia, who knows what is has in stock for us?

Can't help but notice a few positive changes - the Alliance seems to have developed a shampoo technology, not to mention that there are less fat colonels and more slim waifus on TV nowadays. I'd say it was worth killing several thousands people just for that! :incline:

There is a bit of a problem with sound - the last phrase is supposed to read "It will take a long time, but we owe it to the future generations to do everything in our power to explore THE SECRETS OF THE ARTEFACTS!"

And here's the ending from Macmillan's perspective.

It is settled, then. We will find the mysterious alien race and teach them why they shouldn't leave important machinery on backwater planets. Suffer not the xeno to live! To the stars, comrades! LET THE GALAXIES TREMBLE IN THE WAKE OF OUR SPACE 'DOZERS!!!

But that will be a whole another story... :M
super_galaxy_dai_gurren_by_captricosakara-d3dbi3n.png

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Congrats, you did it! Oh wait, I have to do it "properly". So have this:

So, I guess the game does not include a sandniggers Arabian campaign, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Daily reminder that Kozlov is op as fuck. Typical Russian Ubermensch.
It is funny to remember his stats from the American campaign:
2015_02_13_134357.jpg
More proof that Platonov does not know how to work with the personnel he is given.

But really, most Soviet scientists are OP. Gossudarov? Check. Scholtze? Check. Kapitsova? Check. Petrosyan? Check. Dolgov (where is the bastard, by the way? we've been together for half of the campaign!)? Check. Bystrov and Kirilenkova are 'middling', with 8 and 7 ranks in driving respectively.

Americans have Denis Peterson and Tim Gladstone. Even Peter Roth and Cathy Simms are so-so, on par with Kirilenkova and Bystrov.

Look at this:
2015_02_28_234652.jpg
Then at this:
2015_11_07_193808.jpg
There's just no comparison. Soviet science is really superior. Hell, commissar Gleb is a better scientist/soldier/mechanic than half of them.

Anyway, I always preferred to destroy the ruskies by slowly blowing up their alaskite power plants, it's fun to just drive into their base while their impotent turrets stare at you.
The mission is on a timer, and to make matters worse, the timer is invisible. So you can try to take your time, but it might result in a sudden game over. You'll never know.

So, I guess the game does not include a sandniggers Arabian campaign, right?
No, but mods will fix fixed it. Er, somewhat.

Wow. That last pic? So gay...
Not my fault the 'Dex went with the Macmillan romance option. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
What we've missed.
Well, obviously, we missed a game over scenario.
Rus_Powell_radio.jpg
- This is the end, Macmillan. We have the Siberite bomb. Surrender now or it will be my pleasure to watch your base burn.
Gorky.jpg
- My God. We are finished. There is no option, we can only surrender.
Macmillan.jpg
- You’re going to destroy the world’s future, Powell. I prayed I could stop you but... we have nothing left. We surrender. (mission fails)
OR
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Traitors! We are now in possession of Alaskite weapons. Surrender now, or we will wipe you scum from the face of the Earth!
Gorky.jpg
- I'd rather kill myself than surrender to you, but there are other people's lives at stake. We can do nothing but surrender.
Macmillan.jpg
- You win, comrade. We’ve got nothing left to throw at you. We surrender. (mission fails)

If you play as the Americans, the starting conversation is a little bit different.
Macmillan.jpg
- This is the right place. But we have to move ourselves. Powell’s developed the bomb and the Russians will be doing the same. We have to stop them.
Gorky.jpg
- You’re right, Macmillan. Soon they will be ready to destroy the planet between them.
Macmillan.jpg
- The Arabians are no worry and Legion will follow whoever’s winning.
Gorky.jpg
- This battle will decide the future for all of us.

And the second commanders of the respective nations address the other protagonist when they surrender.
Am_Surrender.jpg
- John, I’m now the highest ranking officer alive. I don't agree with what you’ve done, but I don’t want to lose many more lives. We surrender unconditionally.
Ru_surrender.jpg
- Colonel Macmillan, I'm now speaking for other Russian soldiers too. We are ready to admit defeat. The war is over.

And of course there is this little gem of an encounter.
Omar.jpg
- Don't shoot! I have come to see your commander.
It's our bestest pal, sheikh Omar! Of course we missed it, he has been dead since mission 5 of Russian campaign when he unsuccessfully tried to corner Burlak!
Macmillan.jpg
- What the hell brings you here?
Omar.jpg
- Do you recall New Kaaba? The base you destroyed on your way?
Gorky.jpg
- Of course.
Sure Burlak remembers, he is the one who suggested leveling it down in the first place.
Omar.jpg
- I was there. And I've heard you offer to exchange the Artefact for resources or technologies. This persuaded me you are serious about this task.
Macmillan.jpg
- We didn't come here to play games.
Omar.jpg
- So I come to join you. I'm alone, all the others are with the Legion or scattered somewhere. You are the only side I consider worthy.

Then you get to make the last choice in the campaign.

Sheikh Omar Ali wants to join the Alliance. Do you want to:

- Accept him.
Gorky.jpg
- Welcome to Alliance, sheikh Omar.
OR
Macmillan.jpg
- Welcome aboard, Omar.

- Refuse him.
Gorky.jpg
- You came to destroy Alaskite! You think we're going to let you near it? Get out of here.
OR
Macmillan.jpg
- You gotta be joking. You came here to destroy the Siberite, we ain't letting you near it. Make yourself scarce Omar.

With predictable results. A good kebab is a dead kebab, no exceptions!
Gorky.jpg
- What the hell is that sheikh trying to do?
Omar.jpg
- The Siberite has to be destroyed! Humans cannot cope with this power. I do this in the name of the future!
Macmillan.jpg
- You have no future now, you bastard! Stop him or he'll kill us all!

He will try to contaminate the motherlode, so you will have to kill him, fast.

The congratulatory text is also different for the Americans, because everyone is sucking up to Macmillan instead of Burlak. :)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
And now, I guess, it is time for PLATONOV'S ROUTE! :russia:

Mission 12. The Cleansing.
Ooh! Rewards! I like rewards!
2015_11_08_204540.jpg

V. K. Bluekher base; October 25, 2 NR
Burlak remained true to his superiors. He is about to be rewarded.

2015_11_08_204805.jpg

2015_11_08_204557.jpg

2015_11_08_204605.jpg

2015_11_08_204610.jpg

2015_11_08_204619.jpg

2015_11_08_204816.jpg

One of the comrades didn't shoot. Thank you, friend, for the last courtesy. Tell my people that I died for my country, like a true communist!

Oh, he just wanted to make a control shot. Nevermind then, you are all assholes.
2015_11_08_204620.jpg

2015_11_08_204628.jpg

Chances are, if two people independently tell you that someone wants you dead, that someone might really want you dead.

Azira might be able to recognize Burlak's speech from somewhere else. :)
As per popular request, I will be striving to collect all the medals for the mission. The LP may be going on a hiatus until then. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Restart mission
It's a bit too hardcore for my casual self. :M
in_russia_push_ups_do_you_o_3330007.jpg

I should have went with Gladkov. At least then I would only have to do a quiz and maybe shoot Gossudarov for the easy win.
2015_11_08_205858.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The only thing left to show is the last 4 missions of the Russian campaign anyway.

I need to take a bit of a break from the game after the last month. We'll see.

lightbane

Arcane
Take your time, you deserve it. Also, one of the last images you posted cannot be seen, or at least the link doesn't work for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom