Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Which one? Can you copy/paste/reply or 'view the element code' if you are on Chrome?

Everything displays fine on my end.

lightbane

Arcane
Nevermind. It works now after switching my browser. It was some sort of "odd file extension" that my browser couldn't recognize.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, this game does not let go easily. :M

Let's showcase the American Allied path.

Mission 12. Long Way Out.
A cold winter have forced a temporary truce between the warring factions, but now that the snows have started to thaw, the hostilities shall begin anew. Macmillan is determined to put an end to this.
2015_11_12_211059.jpg

Base Alpha, February 28, ERA + 2
A difficult decision has been made. To leave the American base takes tremendous courage; starting over will demand guts, determination and a lot of luck.

The game starts with Roth and Macmillan planning their escape together.
2015_11_12_211105.jpg

AA_Peter.jpg
- So have you made up your mind?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- I hope you’re right about this, Peter...
AA_Peter.jpg
- I know I am.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Then we’ll have to hurry, the longer we wait the more risky it gets.
AA_Peter.jpg
- What about the others? Have you spoken to anyone?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Not yet.
AA_Peter.jpg
- When Powell comes after us we’re going to need support. I’ll talk to the scientists, you talk to the rest.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- The more that know, the more that can talk.
AA_Peter.jpg
- OK, so we find out who's with us and tomorrow we finalize the plan. Then we’re gone.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- You know we might not make it.
AA_Peter.jpg
- I’d sooner die trying. Anyway, I’ve got you, Macmillan. Now at least I stand a chance!

We then have to choose the team we'll be taking with us. The scientists, Peter Roth, Denis Peterson, and Cathy Simmons will be coming with us, but the rest won't, unless we spend some time to convince them this is the right course of action. Just as the case was with Burlak, there are people who would defect anyway. In our case it's Forsyth and Joan. The former doesn't get along with top brass who have no sense of humor, and the latter, well... It's LUV! :hug:
2015_11_12_211916.jpg

It is interesting that though Tim Gladstone is one of the best scientists, he is not entirely on board of the Alliance train. I thought he'd be the first to switch sides, but apparently I misjudged the man. :M

The next day, Macmillan and Roth meet again...
2015_11_12_211941.jpg

Alpha, March 1, ERA + 2
John and the group of refugees will now have to leave the Alpha base. Their best friends are speed, stealth and luck.

And on the same spot, too. They are not very good at conspiracies, are they? :decline:
2015_11_12_211946.jpg

AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- OK, I've talked with those I trust and it's looking good. How about you?
AA_Peter.jpg
- Most are with us, but not everyone, and I'm getting worried.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Any good news!?
AA_Peter.jpg
- We've developed special ammunition for snipers – the target isn’t killed, just put too sleep.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Good for them but it doesn’t help us.
AA_Peter.jpg
- This will!

Peter plays with a device on his wrist and blinks out of existence, which scares Macmillan to death. :lol:
2015_11_12_234252.jpg

AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Peter?! What the hell’s going on!? (Roth reappears) How did you do that?
AA_Peter.jpg
- It’s something I’ve been working on for a while. It renders you invisible.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- I could see that! It’s incredible!
AA_Peter.jpg
- It’s great as long as you’re not moving, the moment you do anything, even pull a trigger, you’re visible again.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- It’ll still be useful.
AA_Peter.jpg
- And another thing. I got a space-shifting bazooka from a friend in the Russian camp. Thought it could be helpful. It's in the weapons lab along with the soporific ammo.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- We should have come to you for weapons before, the war’d be over by now! Tomorrow we leave. I'll pick up the people I talked to and meet you east of here, by the tree.
AA_Peter.jpg
- I'll be there - with the Artefact. Then let's...

Get busted! By the mighty general himself, no less!
2015_11_12_212015.jpg

Powell_small.jpg
- (suddenly) Macmillan! Looks like my instinct let me down again.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Holy shit...
Powell_small.jpg
- You could have been a great commander Macmillan but all you are is a traitor.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- No. I’m doing what I have to to save the future. You're wrong Powell, you just don’t know it.

Powell retreats, and seconds later he can be heard on radio.
Powell_over_radio_small.jpg
- This is general Powell calling all units. Colonel Macmillan and doctor Roth have defected. Shoot them on sight. I repeat - kill Macmillan and Roth!
Ouch. That's pretty brutal. There is some confusion among those of our men that we didn't talk to beforehand.
Joan_radio.jpg
- What’s happening? John, tell me it isn’t true. It can’t be!
AA_Peter.jpg
- (panicked) Jesus, forget the plan, just run for the hills!
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- No way! We can't leave them here. I'm going back for the ammo and the others. I’ll meet you back here.

So that's how things are. We are in the north-eastern corner of the map, together with Roth. I am not sure, but I think there is a vehicle heading towards our position. There are also our (former) friends scattered all over the map. The two on this screen are Lucy Donaldson and Jeff Brown - the guys we chose between to protect the Gamma base earlier in the campaign (we picked Brown, and he did a piss poor job at it - so obviously he is not among those we will be taking with us).
2015_11_12_212326.jpg

Going counter-clockwise, to the west is our sweetheart Joan Fergusson, hiding among the trees, and Tim Gladsone, tinkering with an oil rig.
2015_11_12_212343.jpg

To the southwest, we can see Lisa Lawson.
2015_11_12_212411.jpg

Cyrus is standing on guard duty together with another private in the middle of Alpha base. This one might be tricky.
2015_11_12_212423.jpg

Bobby Brandon is to the south, standing near a gatling turret.
2015_11_12_212438.jpg

Andy Cornell is in the bushes on a ridge, the entrance to which is covered by another gatling tower.
2015_11_12_212503.jpg

To the south-east, there are Denis Peterson and Cathy Simmons, in hiding.
2015_11_12_212711.jpg

And finally, there is our favorite sniper Frank Forsyth, standing in the middle of an auxillary base directly below our position.
2015_11_12_212813.jpg

Primary objectives received:
- Enter the weapons lab.
- Meet as many of the soldiers you spoke to yesterday as you can and take them to the top right corner of the map.
Secondary objectives received:
- Try to avoid killing your former friends.

And of course by 'former friends' they mean any American soldiers. Blasted peace-loving hippies! :argh: I think Burlak killed 30 former colleagues and it still counted as sparing his comrades. :cool:

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Why take Bobby in the initial screening? Doesn't he defect with you? Same with Cyrus? And Cornell?

Nevill

Arcane
Doesn't he defect with you? Same with Cyrus? And Cornell?
No.

The idea of defecting does not sit well with soldiers - not even with all of the scientists, in fact, as can be seen with Hugh Stevens and Tim Gladstone. It is not as simple as saying 'we are going to ally with Russian defectors, anyone who wants to fight two major superpowers can come with us!' Well, it would probably be enough for Frank, but it takes a bit of a warning and convincing for the rest of them to join you, which is what you spend a day on (the interlude lasts from 28 Feb to 1 Mar).

Forsyth and Joan are the only ones who join you unconditionally, in much the same way as Belkov (or Gnyevko) joins Burlak regardless of whether you take him during the screening.

Black

Arcane
Yeah, I was myself surprised that Cornell doesn't go with you "for free". Turns out he hates ruskies that much.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Strange. I remember getting Cornell and the others without having them on my initial screening.

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 12. The shortcut.
You can do this mission in a few ways, depending on whether you decide to go clockwise or counter-clockwise. The initial positioning of your troops is random, so the choice may depend on where the nearest medic - or sniper - might be. In our case, though, there is only one way to do it flawlessly, but the reason for that will become apparent much later.

We'll do it clockwise. We'll use the cover of trees to sneak past the gatling cannon and Brown. Even though he is not hostile to us yet, I don't want him to see me.
2015_11_12_213035.jpg

Then we will crawl our way to Forsyth. This way, the laser cannon won't see us.
2015_11_12_213146.jpg

Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Come on Colonel, the joke’s gone too far.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- It's no joke, Frank. We're leaving, for the sake of all mankind we’re not going to wait for Powell to blow this planet to pieces.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- You think I’m gonna stay with the boring bastard! I’m with you, John.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- Welcome aboard Frank.

Had you chosen him during the screening, the conversation would go a bit differently.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- OK,olonel, where’s the moving van?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- You’ll have to leave your furniture, Frank.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Hell, I don’t go nowhere without my waterbed!

And if you have already visited the lab by the time you got to him...
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- You need help sleeping try these – soporific ammo, puts the enemy into an instant deep sleep.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Great, then I can shoot the bastards while they’re dreaming!
There is a light buggy patrolling the area in circles. And it is coming for us!
2015_11_12_213323.jpg

For a moment there, I thought I was done for, but the invisibility device is really good. Unless someone bumps right into you, they are not going to notice you. The buggy turns away and continues making rounds. Whew.
2015_11_12_213332.jpg

We run past the laser cannon. It does not do much against infantry, and there is a medic nearby.
2015_11_12_213433.jpg

Hi, Cathy. We missed you too.
2015_11_12_213450.jpg

Cathy.jpg
- Good morning, colonel. Where is Peter?
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- He has the Artefact to take care of. Don't worry Cath, I'll get you all out in one piece.

Now, the next turret is more of a problem. It is a heavy gun one, and is crewed by a max level soldier. It critically injures Frank as we try to make a dash to Peterson.
2015_11_12_213714.jpg

Peterson_small.jpg
- This is the moment I’ve been waiting for! Finally I’ve got a chance to explore the alien technology.
AAA_Macmillan.jpg
- We’ve got to get out of here first, Denis, and it ain’t that simple. Watch your back.

I nearly lose Frank, because when I try to heal him back, the damned cannon fires at the medic, damaging everything in the vicinity. I have to hide Cathy with the invisibility device and let Macmillan tank for a while until Denis gets to our side.
2015_11_12_213814.jpg

However, two high-level medics can stabilize the wounded even under enemy firre. Crisis averted!
2015_11_12_213827.jpg

John covers the retreat of the scientists until they are out of range, then goes invisible, waits for the cannon to look the other way, and makes a run for it.
2015_11_12_213846.jpg

This turret is nasty, too, but at least there are a few trees nearby that we can hide behind.
2015_11_12_214123.jpg

Not the best of moves! It attracts the buggy from before, and we have to once again use our device to stay alive. We will have to wait until it drives away.
2015_11_12_214141.jpg

The lab is in sight! I am a bit worried that the buggy would cross the river and bumps into us, as we stand right in the middle of the road, but it remains on the other side, patrolling as usual.
2015_11_12_214300.jpg

:yeah:
2015_11_12_214454.jpg

We've got the bazooka, we've got the soporiphic ammo, we have this mission in the bag.

Time to grab our buddy Cyrus. Frank puts his fellow sentry to sleep while Macmillan comes closer.
2015_11_12_214600.jpg

Cyrus_small.jpg
- OK, so I’m sick of war like everybody, it doesn’t mean I want to rub shoulders with shit-for-brains commies. Why don’t we go it alone, leave the bastards to it?
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- We need to work together, that’s what it’s all about. We need the Russians to get out of here.

If you didn't contact him before:
Cyrus_small.jpg
- You’re crazy, colonel. There’s no better way to do things in this shit world. But I ain’t gonna stop you trying. Get out of here.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Thanks, Cyrus.
Oops! I forgot to tell Forsyth not to shoot the guy with regular ammo. He crits the poor sod while the latter sleeps. I need to call for a medic to prevent a loss of a medal human life. Naturally, Frank immediately administers him another sleeping pill via the sniper rifle. We don't need any sudden moves, now do we?
2015_11_12_214643.jpg

And to keep the guy out of harm's way, I throw him a displacement grenade, teleporting him somewhere in the river. Will he be in for a surprise when he wakes up! :D
2015_11_12_214710.jpg

There is another buggy making rounds to the south of the base.
2015_11_12_214734.jpg

We need to be careful and give it a wide berth.
2015_11_12_214759.jpg

Now, about that cannon we passed on the way here. I am in the mood for a little revenge!
2015_11_12_215608.jpg

Of course, the soldier inside gets teleported away in his sleep, the farther away from us, the better.
2015_11_12_215802.jpg

And if he comes back, he will be teleported again and again until he gets thrown far enough that he can't see or hear us anymore, effectively getting rid of him.
2015_11_12_230651.jpg

Time to blast the automated gatling turret and get Cornell out!
2015_11_12_220203.jpg

Andy.jpg
- I'm glad to be leaving, John. I know you sorted things with Powell, but I’ll never forgive the bastard. It was down to him I was tortured by the Russians.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- And now you’ll be taking orders from them.
Andy.jpg
- I’m only taking orders from the commander of the Alliance, John, and that’s going to be you.

If not warned:
Andy.jpg
- John. So you decided to go in the end.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Andy, I'm sorry, but...
Andy.jpg
- Don’t worry, John. I know you have your reasons. But I’m not coming. I couldn’t live with those Russian bastards after what they did to me. You better move.
When leaving the ridge Cornell was stationed on, we run afoul of the dreaded buggy.
2015_11_12_220702.jpg

Hmm, come to think of it... now that we have a team of six, do we even need to hide?

Frank shoots the driver out of the buggy while the medic makes sure he doesn't die. Did anyone call a taxi? :M
2015_11_12_220933.jpg

And we teleport the unsuspecting driver away before he wakes up, just to have him off our tail. A pretty clean carjacking job, if I may say so myself! :cool:
2015_11_12_221128.jpg

We are unstoppable now! Let's see what happens if we let it get to our heads and start shooting stuff left and right.

Well, this happens. A death squad of elite drivers on gatling tanks, with a heavy gun one in the midst - in case we try to get cute and bring some vehicles with us - arrives to make an example of us. They head towards our last known location, but thankfully, they do not see through the invisibility. Still, it's not like we can move from this position without being instantly annihilated. Normally, it would be a 'gg no re' scenario.
2015_11_12_230502.jpg

But then I notice something about their weapons. Gatling guns... heavy guns... Of course! None of them can rotate 360 degrees! Meaning that if you make Macmillan a retard magnet to draw them in...
2015_11_12_230012.jpg

...you can shoot them from behind almost with impunity! And if they turn to the new threat, you go invisible and let Macmillan shoot them now that their back is turned! :lol:
2015_11_12_230230.jpg

In theory, you can come victorious out of a fight that is supposed to be your certain doom.

But that's not all. By utilizing Frank from a good vantage point, you can attack the vehicles from outside their range until their drivers' HP are all in yellow; then take the drivers out with 6 consecutive shots and make them fall out of their vehicles; then bring the medics to heal the wounded, who then immediately get tranquilized upon regaining consciousness. Meaning...

...that we should thank Powell for a free ride! :cool:
2015_11_13_204609.jpg

All of the drivers on the screen are safely asleep. We carjacked 6 vehicles, and no one had to die for it!

Now here's the interesting thing - without a depot, the turrets no longer work because there is no power. And the death squad is out of the way...
2015_11_13_204907.jpg

I think we have found a shortcut through the mission! :lol:

Yeah, no. We are not afraid of you anymore, buggy. :M
2015_11_13_212514.jpg

But we should let the mechanic fix you, if only to maximize the number of stolen vehicles and Powell's butthurt when he finds out!
2015_11_13_212547.jpg

Now that most of the turrets are out of the way, there is nothing to stop the metal armada from roaming across the map. It is a trivial matter to collect all my people.
2015_11_13_212745.jpg

Not even a sniper of his own helps Powell. Frank puts her out of commission and keeps her subdued while Macmillan levels the third depot to switch off the last few active turrets.
2015_11_13_213258.jpg

Quite a vehicle park we are sporting here. Maybe we shouldn't even run. We've just disabled the largest American base in the sector. We could probably take over the whole American force and they wouldn't be able to do anything to us! But alas, Macmillan is not Burlak. :(
2015_11_13_213606.jpg

Time for the next...
2015_11_13_213949.jpg

What? Bullshit! I made sure I didn't kill anyone, even though I could murder and tear down each and every thing on the map and possibly beyond!!! :argh::argh::argh:

And what's up with just two people in the intermission screen? Where is everybody else I got out?
2015_11_13_230535.jpg

GAAAAAAAAME!!! :x

Eh, at least the cause for the first oddity is not all that hard to realize. I have healed Powell's mechanics to the bare minimum required not to bleed out in a ditch. When I destroyed the Alpha base, I left the depot on fire. Powell's death squad exists to protect the base, so even though they didn't have the vehicles anymore, they still congregated around the depot. When it went up in flames, it brought some of the mechanics with it.
2015_11_13_230644.jpg

So the loss of a medal could be prevented by sending Macmillan back before the building burns down on its own, luring the mechanics away, and collapsing the depot safely. We'd make a good demolishing foreman!
2015_11_13_225820.jpg

Now we are talking!
2015_11_13_230234.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_13_230312.jpg

+ You contacted all of your men.
+ You saved all of your men.
+ You avoided killing your former friends.

And this time I remember to get my men out of their tanks, so that the game does the mancount properly, without getting confused by all the vehicles you were never supposed to capture.
2015_11_13_230333.jpg

My tactical genius is not very appreciated here, it seems. :negative:
You were saying, Azira? :smug:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 12. The proper way.
That was fun, but we are not supposed to have fun this way! :balance:

Resuming from the last serious checkpoint.
2015_11_12_221128.jpg

So we'll just limit ourselves to a single vehicle - for convenience, really, as bazooka Macmillan is always lagging behind otherwise - and go check on Bobby Brandon.
2015_11_12_222151.jpg

AA_Bobby.jpg
- I don't like it, commander, but I’d sooner be on your side than against you – then I know I’ve got a chance to win!
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Glad you’re coming Bobby. We need you with us.

If not warned:
AA_Bobby.jpg
- Colonel? It can’t be true. You’re not running!?
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- It’s not running, Bobby, we know there's better way to end this war.
AA_Bobby.jpg
- I'll let you go, 'cause I owe you. But this makes us even; next time I cut you down.
And follow the usual procedure of annoyance removal. Destroy the turret, stun the crew...
2015_11_12_222329.jpg

...teleport them away so that they wouldn't follow you around, proceed.
2015_11_12_222429.jpg

Lawson is next on the list.
2015_11_12_222545.jpg

A_Lisa.jpg
- This isn’t right. I didn’t come here to run from combat. We’re nothing but fucking cowards.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- That’s not true Lisa. This is probably the bravest thing you’ve ever done. And it’s the right thing.

Now, Lisa is the trickiest one to get, and she is the whole reason we are doing things in the order we are doing them.

See, there is a little bit of unresolved tension between her, Macmillan, and Dr. Fergusson. I bet you forgot all about it, eh?
Soon after someone has to start bitching about Joan.
qnKG6V8.jpg
: Sir, we’ve got a hard enough time looking after ourselves never mind Major Fergusson.
ig6DFl9.jpg
: What are you saying Sgt., you think we should leave her to die?
qnKG6V8.jpg
: I’m saying things aren’t easy, she’s got to work like the rest of us.
ig6DFl9.jpg
: She will! At the right time, she's not a solider she’s a scientist.
qnKG6V8.jpg
: We’ve got all the dead weight we need. This is a battle situation...
ig6DFl9.jpg
: (shouts) Are you questioning my command soldier!?
qnKG6V8.jpg
: No sir, I just...
ig6DFl9.jpg
: How I use the resources on this team is my business and mine alone. Do you read me, Sgt. Lawson? I said do you read me!?
qnKG6V8.jpg
: Yes sir!
Which comes to a close in this mission. If we meet with Joan before Lisa, the latter thinks we are being pussy whipped and are following our woman into exile instead of it being our own choice.
A_Lisa.jpg
- So you’re really going to do it. What happened to all that shit about loyalty?
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- It isn’t wearing the uniform that matters it’s why you wear it that counts, what it stands for....
A_Lisa.jpg
- That’s bullshit! You’re deserting, and you’re doing it 'cos of Ferguson.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- It’s not true. Come with us Lisa, I want us all on the same side.
A_Lisa.jpg
- You don’t have a side now! You’re a traitor. That’s all! Get out before I kill you!

Ouch. Hell hath no fury... :lol:

The only way to recruit both is to meet up with Joan after Lisa makes her decision to defect and can't go back anymore even if she wanted to. :P

She also has some bitter words to share if you picked up Joan, but didn't plan on taking her with you at all.
A_Lisa.jpg
- I thought you had guts, Macmillan. Now I know different.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Draw your gun or let us go Lisa. It’s your choice.
A_Lisa.jpg
- I don’t need to kill you. A bunch of yellow shits like you are gonna die out there anyway. Move it.

And if you didn't take Joan either, she'll just tell you to get lost.
A_Lisa.jpg
- I never thought you’d run from combat, John. I wish you’d trusted me enough to tell me. Move it before I shoot you.

It's your call whether she is worth the trouble to get. But there is an achievement for it on Steam. :M
Anyway, it's just two more men after Lawson. We'll have to cross the river. The infantry does it from under the cover of a nearby forest, but the vehicle has to cross in the direct sight of a laser turret operator. It does not go well for the car. And we seem to have aggroed Cyrus' former buddy whom we've teleported into the river earlier. This 'no killings' business is starting to get on my nerves.
2015_11_12_222721.jpg

One turret later, we make contact with Tim Gladstone.
2015_11_12_222922.jpg

Macmillanzooka.jpg
- I'm glad you decided to join us, Tim.
Tim_Gladstone_small.jpg
- I don't know if it’s a good idea, but I’m not happy about Powell. All he thinks of is destruction.

If not warned:
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- I wish you were coming with us, Tim.
Tim_Gladstone_small.jpg
- Powell’s a misguided fool, but he did save my life once! I owe it to him to stay. Give my regards to professor Gossudarov, we’ve spoken on the radio and he seems a good man.
A misplaced sense of duty, I see. I can respect that. :salute:
We are on a final stretch! There is a sniper on a hill below us, so we are better off destroying the cannon and skimming the northern edge of the map.
2015_11_12_223147.jpg

Joan is the last of our people in the area. She is not happy that we left her out of our plans for world domination peace.
2015_11_12_223315.jpg

Joan_small.jpg
- John! John! How could you?
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Joan. You've got to understand. I only wanted to keep you safe.
Joan_small.jpg
- I don't give a damn about being safe. I want to be with you!
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- It’s too dangerous! I don't want you to get involved.
Joan_small.jpg
- Screw you, I'm coming, no matter what you say!

If warned:
Joan_small.jpg
- John. Is this right? Running from the job we came to do.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- I came to save the future, Joan. I think this is the way to do it.
This gatling turret is all that stands between us and Freedom! We throw everything we've got at it, and that's the end of our poor vehicle.
2015_11_12_223843.jpg

Whoops! Displacement grenade malfunction! Aimed it too close to our side. Thankfully, the farther you are from the point of impact, the less you are affected, so we don't get scattered all across the map.
2015_11_12_223917.jpg

We pass Lucy Donaldson on the way back. She does not have anything special to say.
2015_11_12_224050.jpg

Donaldson_small.jpg
- Stop, you yellow bastard or I'll shoot!
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Then get on with it soldier, 'cos I ain't stopping.
Donaldson_small.jpg
- I can't kill you in cold blood. I respected you.

Or, in Brown's case:
Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- Stop, you yellow bastard or I'll shoot!
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Then it's tough buddy. I'm getting out of here.
Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- Powell says you're a traitor, but you're still ten times the man he is. Get running, colonel.

If we warned them, things could've been different:
Donaldson_small.jpg
- I trust you commander. I'm going with you.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Glad to hear it.

Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- I don't care what Powell says, colonel. I'll go with you.
Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Thanks buddy.
Now, that they say they won't shoot me doesn't mean we get a free pass. They are Powell's men. We get a grace period of 5 to 10 seconds to get out of their sight, then they change their uniform colors to Powell's blue and start shooting whenever they see us. Yeah, even our buddy Cornell. :negative:
2015_11_12_224136.jpg

Macmillanzooka.jpg
- Thank God, we’ve got clear. Now into the woods.

Mission Accomplished.
2015_11_12_224145.jpg

Intermission screen.
2015_11_12_224228.jpg

And for the sake of completeness, here is the map of the next mission, as seen through the American eyes.
2015_11_13_230344.jpg

Neutral territory, North East from Gamma Base, March 7, ERA + 2
Having escaped Alpha Base, John Macmillan and the fugitives must find a location where they can build their new home.

The content of the mission itself was covered in the Alliance Mission 13 of the Russian branch.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Ok. Let's go back to the Russian campaign and do the real loyalist route.

Missuion 12. October Revolution.
Aww yiss.
2015_11_03_220613.jpg

V. K. Bluekher base; October 25, 2 NR
Having accepted the bid for power from Gladkov's group, Burlak must now rid the world of comrade general Platonov, forever.

This should have happened long ago. Did I not shoot commanders in any mission that allowed me to in preparation to this very act? But we can't still remedy our earlier indecisiveness. We will finally overthrow Platonov with the combined forces...
2015_11_15_214642.jpg

...of four men-... Wait, what the hell?

Gorky.jpg
- So where is everyone?
Gladkov.jpg
- They are all here.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Gorky.jpg
- This is it!? You said there were many who supported you!
Gladkov.jpg
- They do, but they are too afraid to show themselves.
Gorky.jpg
- (sarcastic) Brilliant!
Gladkov.jpg
- But knowing our supporters are there means that once we have demonstrated our strength, the battle will be won quickly. I believe four bases under our command would be enough for victory.
Gorky.jpg
- Do you have a list of the targets, comrade Gladkov?

2015_11_15_214716.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- There is A. I. Yegorov base in South West, commanded by colonel Tsarytsyn. He is a hard-line communist but if we can persuade him our cause is for the people he may join us.

2015_11_15_214732.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- To the South East there is M. N. Ryutin base, under command of colonel Davidov. He's a little mad, spends too much time in the lab with scientists.

2015_11_15_214745.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- In East there is Y. E. Yakir base, commanded by colonel Eisenstein. He's a bully, but can be bullied as well!

2015_11_15_214800.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- There is M. A. Budonny base in the North, it's commanded by colonel Borodin. He is weak man out for himself, he will go with the one who has the upper hand.

2015_11_15_214816.jpg

Gladkov.jpg
- There is V. K. Bluekher base in North West. Obviously this is commanded by Platonov, so we can only use force here. Of course, if we just went straight for Platonov and defeated him, the rest would follow then. This could prevent many casualties. But the decision is yours, comrade. We follow your command.

There we have it.
2015_11_15_214842.jpg

The ultimate objective of the mission is to kill Platonov. Once you do, all factions on the map will acknowledge your leadership, as there will be no other (competent) commanders left.

Well, we don't want casualties, do we? Let's go straight after the man! Let no one say that Burlak is a coward who hides behind the backs of his followers! CHAAAAAARGE!
2015_11_15_215144.jpg

Victory is imminent!
2015_11_15_215200.jpg

For Great Justice! For Mother Russia!
2015_11_15_215206.jpg

Ok. Perhaps our usual approach needs to be rethought. After all, we are not dealing with cowardly Arabs or incompetent Americans, but with the fellow For Mother Russians.

So we shall start with what Gladkov suggested and pay a visit to the Yegorov base.
2015_11_15_220102.jpg

Tsarytsyn.jpg
- Comrade, I am not with you unless you are for the people. I am communist but what we saw in our country wasn’t communism, it was defacement of its principles.
That's what you get for putting Trotsky in charge, comrade! Another of the American crimes they will have to answer for! :argh:
Tsarytsyn.jpg
- If you can prove to me that you are well-versed in true Marxism-Leninism, comrade, I'll go with you.

How do we prove our devotion to the cause? Well, of course! We take a political quiz!
2015_11_15_220134.jpg

Wait, why is October not on the list? It is the Great October Revolution, is it not?

Nevermind, we have just the right man with us! All the pains we have gone through to keep our comrade commissar alive are about to pay off. Comrade Gleb, it's your turn to shine!
2015_11_15_220140.jpg

You think? Are you not supposed to know? You are useless!

We've used our 'Phone-a-Friend' option. The question still stands.
2015_11_15_220143.jpg

And for the record, the other questions.
2015_11_15_220612.jpg

Uh, Gleb. You know what country we are fighting for, at least?
2015_11_15_220621.jpg

So, the other option you still have some doubts about? Are you not telling us something about yourself, comrade? :?
2015_11_15_220625.jpg

Can you answer these questions without reaching for the Wikipedia, comrades?
2015_11_15_220637.jpg

2015_11_15_220332.jpg

2015_11_15_220542.jpg

2015_11_15_220547.jpg

Prove that you are one with the people! The fate of this mission rests upon your shoulders!
Best campaign EVAR.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
I think you can go to Platonov alone. I think he will forgive you. Trust me on this.

Nevill

Arcane
Trust me on this.
So how many of these questions can you answer, comrade? Especially without looking at the options below.

The Zionist agents of Imperialism are everywhere! Prove that the trust would not be misplaced, first!

Nevill

Arcane
Did I fail? :troll:
Why, you did flawlessly, comrade! Have you considered a zampolit career? You would do well, I'm certain!

Mission 12. Divided Loyalties.
Of course, Burlak passes the test with flying colors!
2015_11_15_220712.jpg

Tsarytsyn.jpg
- Good. I see you are a true communist, comrade Gorky. Platonov was lax on ideology. It will be pleasure to work with you. I'll now go to depot to immerse myself in study of fundamental Lenin's work "Several Remarks on Growing Corn in Southern Kamchatka". Meanwhile, you can take command of my base and my men.

Except for Tsarytsyn himself, they are mostly rookies. :(
2015_11_15_221047.jpg

Also,
fundamental Lenin's work "Several Remarks on Growing Corn in Southern Kamchatka"
There are some horrible, horrible things the Americans have done to the past. Now Lenin and Khrushev are a single entity.:badnews:

Never forgive! :outrage:

If it is not your first base, you will only be given three men to go with you rather then the whole base.
Tsarytsyn.jpg
- I need some men to run this base, comrade, but you can take three with you.

And if you (somehow) fail, the colonel admonishes you and refrains from further involvement.
Tsarytsyn.jpg
- No, this is not good. You are just like Platonov, ready to kill for things you know nothing about.

We leave three most worthless souls to do some research back at Yegorov, take the rest, and move to our next target, the Ryutin base.
2015_11_15_221353.jpg

So many free tanks! But you can't carjack them, not without attacking the base first - and we won't do that yet.
2015_11_15_221503.jpg

Here's our mad general himself.
2015_11_15_221545.jpg

Davidov.jpg
- I know about you, major Gorky, including your dealings with professor Gossudarov. I appreciate that you stayed with us. My concern is the Artefact. I believe it holds very powerful secrets.
Gorky.jpg
- Maybe we can help you with the Artefact research more than comrade Platonov.
Davidov.jpg
- If you can secure the Artefact, it will prove to me that you’re serious about science. Then I will support you.

We don't have the Artefact yet, it is kept under Platonov's guard in the Bluekher base, so there is nothing we can do here for now. Let's check the Yakir base instead.
2015_11_15_221737.jpg

Life is going on as usual at the bases. Engineers run between the buildings, turrets are being built and upgraded, research is being done. This creates an illusion of a world living its own life, rather than waiting for your input.

General Eisenstein, a military man from tip to toe, is not amused with us.
2015_11_15_221811.jpg

Eisenstein.jpg
- We know about your mutiny, commander. I have never heard of such a deplorable act of insubordination!
Gorky.jpg
- Platonov is a poor commander, you must know that. While he is in control we will never defeat our enemies. Which do you prefer!?
Eisenstein.jpg
- I don’t know if you are a good commander, comrade Gorky. Attack my base and I will see.

Well. We don't make him ask twice. RAMMING SPEED!
2015_11_15_222043.jpg

Some soldiers leave the armory to repel a sudden bulldozer invasion. Or just to gawk.

There is a narrow passage between the factory and Alaskite power plants that my soldiers can use to sneak up on theirs. Finding themselves between a hammer and an anvil, they turn to run back to the armory...
2015_11_15_222129.jpg

...but not all of them make it. 1:0 for the 'dozer. Meanwhile, my men are shooting the engineer that came to check what the fuss was all about.
2015_11_15_222220.jpg

We drop him too, and are about to start working on the armory, but the general quickly acknowledges our point.
2015_11_15_222507.jpg

Eisenstein.jpg
- Enough, comrade Gorky! I see you are strong. I need some men to defend this base, but you can take rest with you.

We are allowed to take up to 5 men.
2015_11_15_222522.jpg

I take his 2 best mechanics, 2 best soldiers, and a scientist. The engineer and the unfortunate soldier are nursed back to health. We don't want unnecessary losses.

As an aside, there is a way for this little test to go horribly wrong for Eisenstein - or horribly right, depending on how you see it. There is a spot in the base that no cannons except for a single rocket launcher can reach.
2015_11_15_223422.jpg

The soldiers will leave the armory, but they can be scared to back off with the numbers we have. And one turret can't do any real harm to Masha.
2015_11_15_223443.jpg

Which leads to the fall of their depot, and the unconditional surrender of the base that has suddenly lost all of its defenses to a lone bulldozer. :lol:
2015_11_15_223518.jpg

Prokofiev.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, I speak for all comrades in this base. We recognise your strength and we support you. Take our base, we follow you now.

Meaning we get all 9 people, including the general himself, to join our cause, as well as a second base for our operations. How do you like that, comrade Eisenstein? :smug:
2015_11_15_223540.jpg

But we won't do that, because one of the medals for the mission is awarded for not using force to win the hearts and minds of your supporters.

Not long after that...
2015_11_15_225040.jpg

KFad.jpg
- Look, major. The scientists are leaving Bluekher base. What’s going on?
Gorky.jpg
- (loudly) Professor! Why the hurry?
Gossudarov.jpg
- You know where we are going, Burlak. I’m only sorry you won’t be with us. Defeating Platonov will change nothing.
Gorky.jpg
- Leave the Artefact, professor. Like you, it is going nowhere.
Also, you won't need it where you are going.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Comrade...
Gorky.jpg
- You spoke about responsibility, professor, and you were right. I am responsible to my country which trusted me to preserve its future. It trusted you also. You will not leave here alive.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Then kill us, Burlak. We will die free men, and you will live a prisoner of the party and its propaganda.

Those are bold words for someone whose whole contribution to the campaign was to be kidnapped by the Arabs, diverting the forces from Trotsky; and then delay us in search of the Artefact long enough for our main base to be burned to the ground, starting the whole chain of events that led us to where we are now (the loss of marshal Yashin and our brother, Platonov's rise to power, etc). Roth may have some redeeming qualities, but Gossudarov has no rights whatsoever to claim any kind of moral high ground.

Therefore I have no qualms about dealing with him and his associates in accordance to the martial law. They are all probably Zionist-Stalinist agents anyway.
2015_11_15_225209.jpg

But to deal with them, we must first catch them...

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 12. Executive officer.
Shouldn't be too difficult to intercept them. After all, there is only one good road leading out of the base.
2015_11_15_225352.jpg

We need to be careful not to violate the territory of the Buddony base. The importance of this will become apparent later.

The heavy tank and two rocket launchers quickly stop one of them in his tracks, and Masha finishes the job with a juicy SPLAT sound. I love the blood stains on the stone. The other two scientists flee to the swamp, where the tanks would be unable to follow...
2015_11_15_225528.jpg

...but we have our soldiers cover this direction. NONE SHALL PASS!
2015_11_15_225639.jpg

No mercy for the traitors! Under the bulldozer you go!
2015_11_15_225754.jpg

But the professor is not among them, and neither is the Artefact.

Ah, there he is. Late as always.
2015_11_15_225955.jpg

The truck he drives is painfully slow, and the pathfinding logic easily abuseable. Block the path with your tanks, and he will head for the swamp. Open a space for him to pass, and he will try the northern road. Alternate, and he will be stuck in a loop.
2015_11_15_230042.jpg

It does not take long for us to surround and 'capture' him. Comrade commissar, read the sentence!
2015_11_15_231129.jpg

Gleb.jpg
- The accused have confessed to the most heinous crimes and their intention to steal the Artefacts and destroy the rule of Soviets. They were supported by their friends, the agents of American imperialism. For their murderous disloyalty there is only one proper penalty, and that is death by a bulldozer!
Gorky.jpg
- Thank you, comrade prosecutor. Accused, I will give you leave to speak in your defence.
Gossudarov.jpg
- Diversity! L1brulism! Freedom!
Gorky.jpg
- Very well. Comrades, in the name of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics I sentence the traitor to be executed. RAMMING SPEED!

Oh. I forgot they could do that. :stupid:
2015_11_15_231331.jpg

Thankfully, he didn't go far. It would be a simple matter to finish the job.
2015_11_15_232215.jpg

Shit! Too close to Platonov's base. And Gossudarov still counts as Platonov's unit, granting them vision.
2015_11_15_232353.jpg

Burlak will stay and finish the job. The rest of you, RETREAT!
2015_11_15_232436.jpg

After the professor expires, we feign a withdrawal, to make the rocket tank return to base, then sneak our drivers to repair the truck with the Artefact. I know a man who would be very happy to receive it back. And no, we are not returning it to Platonov, Havoc! :decline:
2015_11_15_232618.jpg

Here you go, general. Can I haz your base?
2015_11_15_233113.jpg

Davidov.jpg
- Wonderful, comrade. By this one act you have done more for our cause than all the empty-headed generals put together. I need men to run the base and do the research, but the rest can go with you.

That's... rather pitiful.
2015_11_15_233125.jpg

If it was our first base, we'd be able to have more.
Davidov.jpg
- I and three of my most senior scientists will begin work in the lab. The rest of the base is yours.

Now that we have 3 bases on our side against Platonov's one, let's go visit the commander that is said to go with whomever has the upper hand.
2015_11_15_233651.jpg

Borodin.jpg
- You are a mighty commander, comrade Gorky. I believe you can lead us to victory. I need some men to defend this base against the enemy. But others I can put under your command.

That's more like it!
2015_11_15_233700.jpg

If we didn't convert other bases to our cause first, he'd refuse us outright.
Borodin.jpg
- We've heard about your mutiny, comrade. Your band of traitors will never win the support of Red Army troops.

With the potential to escalate if you become too insistent.
Borodin.jpg
- Your force is no threat to us. Leave while you still can, comrade.

What a weasel! :decline:

Alright, we have done the best we can. Now, for the final part of this drama.
2015_11_15_233817.jpg

But first, we'll do a bit of research and develop the limited spontaneous teleportation, space distortion and tau-field technologies, which are crucial if one wants to fuck with enemy forces. Only a fool goes in unprepared.
2015_11_15_234450.jpg

We can also develop better weapons...
Tsarytsyn.jpg
- Comrade commander. I’ve been thinking, attack from longer range would reduce casualties. If you want me to look into missile design I can do this.

...but I don't need them. The bases I've got build a steady supply of their own vehicles. I can pick and choose whatever I like, my only limitation are my own forces who are good at being soldiers, but little else. Sadly, we lack qualified drivers. Still, we can scrounge about 9 of those who are not terrible. This should suffice.

This is the force that will assault Platonov's base. Quite different from 3 men and a bulldozer we started with, eh?
2015_11_16_000518.jpg

Let Mortal Kombat begin! :salute:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Havoc confirmed as a Platonov sympathiser and possible spy. I suggest a trial by bulldozer just to be sure.
Now seriously, I didn't expect the game to pull out a quiz like that one. :lol:

This game (and your lp as well, Nevill) never stops being amazing.

Black

Arcane
I've noticed two instances of "it's" when it should've been "its".
Cannot forgive.

Nevill

Arcane
Blame America and it's alternate history creating alternate grammar. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom