Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Previously, on Original War.
2014_11_07_225602.png

Delta Base; August 14th, ERA + 1
The Apemen are the first success of the Americans, but the Russians continue to dominate. John's orders are to maintain security at the Delta base, but the strange attackers have retreated to the South and all is quiet.
2014_11_07_225645.png

South of the Delta base, August 15th, ERA + 1
The discovery of patterns in shipment landings may have a profound effect. John now has to test this hypothesis and if they are right, capture as many crates on Russian territory as possible.
And so it continues.

Mission 7. Payback Time.
2014_11_07_225728.png

Delta Base; September 29th, ERA + 1
The supplies and reinforcements the Americans need will never arrive. In their place ruthless terrorists appear, their origins and motives unknown. Will there ever be any good news?

2014_11_07_225738.png

George_Knight_small.png
- (tiredly) Hey, who the hell… (Harrison gets out of vehicle) Excuse me, sir.
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- Get me Macmillan. Now.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We've got a problem, Ron?
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- Nothing here, but right now the Russians have.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- That’s got to be a first.
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- We’ve had reports that terrorists have stormed their bases in the South, and the fighting isn’t over.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Never thought they’d do us a favour.
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- They have and we’re gonna take full advantage.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What’s the plan?
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- The Russians have taken casualties and they’re sending all the units they can spare to the battle. They’ve left M. N. Tukhachevsky’s base pretty well defenceless.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Guess they didn’t expect trouble that deep in their territory.
Ron_Harrison_small.png
- So they’ll get an unpleasant surprise, cos you’re going to wipe it out. You’re taking the best equipment and whoever you want from Gamma and Delta. This is one chance to hit those bastards hard.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Don’t worry – I get the message. It’s payback time.
2014_11_07_235525.png

2014_11_07_235341.png

2014_11_07_230257.png

North of M. N. Tukhachevsky base; September 30, ERA+1
The time has come to strike at the heart of the Russian territory. If John can be swift and deadly, the Russians will never know what hit them.

:avatard:

That's just a teaser while I am figuring out how to better do this. Yes, I would like to pick up the LP since it seems to be abandoned. This game deserves a spotlight.

I will be playing on a Master Strategist difficulty level, even though it has been probably 8 years since I touched the game last. I have forgotten almost everything, from controls to tech trees. Still, it's an RTWP game against AI. How hard can it be?

I probably should move to jpeg for screenshots, since png, while having a better quality, exact a heavy toll on the bandswitch.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 7: Payback Time.
2014_11_08_000809.png

The mission is pretty straightforward. I started with 5 soldiers, 4 drivers, 4 vehicles, and one scientist. Interestingly enough, Tim Gladstone, the genius who converted the Apemen to our cause, is an equally skilled shot. Who would have thought?

Of the vehicles, one was a gatling tank (good for mowing down infantry), one boasted a double-barreled gun, one was an ultra-light wheeled piece of crap that couldn't fight for shit (seriously, it took, like, 10 seconds for it to get into the yellow zone), and the last one was a radar jeep that was unable to fight at all. Not very exciting, to say the least. Well, we'll see what we can do about that.

2014_11_08_140712.jpg

13 seconds into the mission I come under heavy fire from several manned turrets. The soldiers manning them are mid-level (5-ish), but so are mine. I immediately retreat to try and find a way around the enemy.

2014_11_08_141011.jpg

The Russians! They are everywhere! Fortunately, the eastern side is only defended by bunkers and there are no turrets. Our forces make short work of them. Note the mechanic that is repairing the vehicle right in front of the enemy soldier without giving a fuck. Since I can't use my radar vehicle in combat, I might as well use the driver to maintain the ones that are useful.

The first bunker falls.
Donaldson_small.jpg
- Yeeha! We’ve got them on the run.
2014_11_08_141121.jpg

They don't run very far, though. The light tanks can easily outmaneuver and trap them.

I continue advancing south alongside the Russian defences.
2014_11_08_141405.jpg

I find an unmanned tank down the road. Tsk-tsk, how careless. One enemy soldier makes a run towards it, but my tanks are faster, again. The captured tank is armed with a double gun. I'll take that. Unfortunately, it is almost out of gas.
2014_11_08_141436.jpg

2014_11_08_141740.jpg

I take a brief pause to heal, repair, and destroy the enemy workshop down below.

There is a canyon leading towards what I presume might be the Russian base. The road is very narrow, though, barely wide enough to fit a tank through. If we get attacked here, things might get ugly.
2014_11_08_142000.jpg

Speak of the Devill...
2014_11_08_142112.jpg

I run into a dead end packed with turrets of all sorts. There is no place for maneuver in the canyon, so I have to drive right into the turrets to find a patch of ground to turn the vehicle around and try to disengage. It does not help matters that I sent my gatling tank into the canyon first, since I expected to fight infantry, and not this. The last shot actually sends the tank into the red, and sets it on fire, but at least it is out of enemy range. That was a close one.

Lisa_Lawson_small.jpg
- Shit, they’ve got too much firepower.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- These turrets are pretty tough.
Tim_Gladstone_small.jpg
- They’ve got to have their own power line.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Good thinking. So let's take it out. No power, no fire.
Jack_small.jpg
- Sir, that building between the turrets, could that be the power plant?
Donaldson_small.jpg
- Who cares!? Level every building and you know you must have hit it!

Okay, Lucy. You will go along, then. I take all of my soldiers though some rough terrain the tanks can't pass, and bingo! There are the power plants.
2014_11_08_142219.jpg

I take them out, along with a few enemy engineers that come to repair them. But the turrets do not cease to fire.

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Look, we’ve slowed down the turrets but we haven’t stopped them yet. The bastards’ve got another plant hidden somewhere.

It took me awhile to realise that the game actually wants me to take on the rest of the turrets with the forces I have. Even though lack of power reduces their efficiency greatly, they still pack a mean punch. Especially the turret on the bottom, equipped with a double heavy gun - its splash damage can tear a group of soldiers to shreds. I have to pull my soldiers back several times just to heal.
2014_11_08_143329.jpg

Eventually, though, they all fall. I had to blow up my radar tank to fit another one through the canyon. I needed all the help I could get.

And it turned out that this was a dead end and there was no way into the base from here. Dammit!

Still, the passage directly below looks like it leads into the base, and the turrets were overseeing it. It will likely make our life easier once we storm the base.

The captured tank was heavily damaged in the fight, and almost ran out of fuel, so I had to abandon it.

Back to the center of the map.
2014_11_08_144119.jpg

Turns out in my hurry to get past the turrets I missed the road leading west. Come to think of it, Harrison mentioned something about a scout...

2014_11_08_144155.jpg

If it ain't our dear friend Frank Forsyth, training monkeys how to dance.

Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Jesus! The left foot! How many times, this is your left, this is your right, the right’s wrong and the left is right, got that!? I’m the guy, you’re the gal, you start with your left. OK, three, four…
Tim_Gladstone_small.jpg
- He’s a good scout but a crap dancer.
Jack_small.jpg
- It’s Fred and Ginger all over again.
The ape sees us and flees.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Wait, they’re friends! Get back here you jerk!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You can finish your class later Frank. You’ve got work to do. I want plans of the South Russian base and quick.
2014_11_08_144223.jpg

2014_11_08_144225.jpg

Um, Frank? I think your intel is out of date. That's my tank parked where you told us the turrets should be.

I think I might have been doing things in the wrong order... :oops::roll:

Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- No problem. Take a look. You got plenty of buildings, more weapons but no Russians around to fire them.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- How do you know?
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- I threw a few of those stinking berries down one of the turrets; it was like a Bombay sewer in a heat wave. If anyone had been there they’d have got out quick.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- It’ll do me – I’ve smelt those drains. Let’s go see Uncle Tukhachevsky...
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- You’ve still got to keep your head down, their weapons aren’t manned but they’ll kill you just the same.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You mean they’re automatic?
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- Seemed that way to me.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Shit, it was supposed to be defenceless.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- You can still take it out sir. Take a look at the plans. Almost no mobile units. Without them they’re sitting ducks.

Slowed down by taking the power generators out, the turrets pose no threat to our combined forces.
2014_11_08_144523.jpg

2014_11_08_144618.jpg

Slowly but surely we advance towards the base. My men manage to lure an enemy driver out of his vehicle, which allows me to capture a gatling tank intact. Sweet!

They still have some defences, though, including some tanks.
2014_11_08_144931.jpg

I set the tank of fire, get the driver outside, let him put out the fires, shoot him, and take the tank for myself. :cool:

A quick scouting trip reveals that there is not much left of the base.
2014_11_08_145219.jpg

The warehouse is the single most important building in any base. Once it is destroyed, all facilities are powered down. Naturally, we make use of this fact. The mission goes into the mop-up phase.
2014_11_08_145428.jpg

The last bastion of Russian defences...
2014_11_08_145856.jpg

...is taken down.
2014_11_08_145932.jpg

Hm. Isn't Hasan a strange name for a Russian?

On the way back we take care of the turrets we had run into in the beginning.
2014_11_08_150206.jpg

The mission is over well before the time limit.

2014_11_08_150323.jpg

Forever alone. :cry:

If you stick around, though, eventually you'll receive a transmission.
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- (over radio) John, complete your task and return immediately. This is urgent. Do you read me?
Lisa_Lawson_small.jpg
- We’ll never get this chance again. We’re not gonna leave now, are we?
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- I’m in no hurry to go. You want us to finish off the job just say the word.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Macmillan to base. Objective achieved, we’re returning.
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- You better make it quick John. The Russians have reached Gamma base.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- They’ve what!?
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- They wiped out the mercenaries and headed for the base, Gamma can’t hold out long.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Can’t you send more men from Alpha?
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- We don’t have anyone to spare John, we weaken Alpha now and we all die. You’re the only hope they’ve got.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We’ll not let you down.
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- I know you’ll do what you can. I just hope it’s soon enough.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- On our way.

Mission Accomplished!
2014_11_08_150626.jpg

Wait, almost everything? I am pretty sure there were no enemy buildings standing. Or units. Hell, I even shot some of the sabretooth tigers for fun! I even blew up one of my own vehicles!

The high command never gives the good soldiers their due. :decline:

Our team:
2014_11_08_150740.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 8: Natural Born Heroes.
2014_11_08_150821.jpg

Gamma Base; September 30, ERA + 1
The Americans were supposed to attack a weak Russian base but the tables were turned. Now an undermanned American base must defend itself against a far superior enemy.

Well, what have we got here?
2014_11_08_150824.jpg

Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- (over radio) This is Gamma base. We need help! Where the hell is everyone! (there is a sound of gunfire followed by an explosion.) We can’t last much longer!
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- Gamma this is Alpha, Macmillan is returning with Delta Force (these are two separate forces – people (mostly scientists) from Delta and Macmillan and his men who were destroying Russian base in previous mission).
Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- What’s that going to do! We need numbers. The Russians are everywhere.
Ron_over_radio_small.png
- It’s all we’ve got. We’re under attack ourselves.

2014_11_08_192346.jpg

So... we have 3 corpses, one vehicle that blows in my face, and smoldering remains of bunkers everywhere, three turrets without guns and two remotely controlled vehicles that are currently without supervision.

Whoever is in charge of base planning should be shot without trial.

But wait, we also have a turret with a gun mounted on it, an intact bunker, and two soldiers. What more do you need?

I remember when I had to hold off the push of 50 tanks in groups of 4 or 5 (sometimes supported by infantry) with little more than three apes, seven men, two bunkers and one tank during the Russian campaign. And I remember taking on a base of 40 men with just those seven, and winning. Now those were the times.

And you are telling me you are in a bad spot? Lt. Brown, I am disappointed.

First things first, I need to dismantle those stupid turrets near the warehouse. If the enemy makes it that far, we have already lost.
2014_11_08_192524.jpg

Next, I order a construction of the Science Lab. Meanwhile, the apes are busy repairing.

Delta Force shows up one minute into the mission.
2014_11_08_192548.jpg

Just two people? That's not much of a force.

They enter the base just as my people start the construction of the Armory, which allows me to change my units into soldiers.
2014_11_08_192633.jpg

Random_Soldier.jpg
- We made it. Where’s the Captain?
Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- What do you think I’m asking myself!? He’s the only chance we’ve got. The bastard better hurry.

Not a minute passes and we are attacked by the Russians. The turret is equipped with a gatling gun, which is not very effective against armored vehicles, but it'll do. The rest of my soldiers just chill in the back. No one is in the rush to engage the enemy gatling tank.
2014_11_08_192914.jpg

The tank is reinforced by two infantrymen, and we may be in a bit of a bind, but the day is saved by Macmillan and his cavalry.
2014_11_08_193036.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- All right. I’m back in command. Let’s hope we’re not too late.
Lt_Brown_small.jpg
- Better late than never. I hope!
You are so demoted after this.

Joan_small.jpg
- John! I was scared they’d kill you.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- It’s OK. We’re gonna be fine.
We are? I guess if we entrench ourselves, heal our wounded, repair the broken machinery and set up a proper R&D, we might turn the situation around...

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Time's up. Let's do this.
2014_11_08_193139.jpg

What? You can't be serious!

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- LEEEEROOOYYYY JENNNNNNKINS!!! :popamole:
2014_11_08_193220.jpg

Macmillan, STAHP!

See what you've done?
2014_11_08_193313.jpg

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a TANK. 131 armor. 40 attack against infantry, 80 against vehicles. Macmillan is a level 7 soldier in full kit, and he has 37 armor and 53 attack against infantry, with no splash damage. That monster tears us a new one. I have to spread my soldiers so that it does not take them out all at once.
2014_11_08_193403.jpg

Thankfully, once the health of our soldiers drops into red and they start dying, the tank switches targets to those that are more threatening. Finishing the dying enemies makes it impossible to heal them back, but it also requires time and leaves you open to taking damage from enemies that are still standing. Fortunately for us, the AI prefers to concentrate on the latter. Meanwhile, our scientists heal the mortally wounded out of danger zone.

Of course, if you are too bold about it, the enemies will just kill your scientists first.

Finally, the monstrosity goes down! Half of our soldiers are heavily injured.
2014_11_08_193459.jpg

But we can't let that stop us, can we?

We press deeper inside the enemy base...
2014_11_08_193620.jpg

...and find that it is still under construction. Almost no turrets. The ones that are standing don't have guns. Most of the facilities are in the process of upgrading, and thus not operational.

Is that what handed you your ass, Lt. Brown? :decline:

Chaaarge!
2014_11_08_193625.jpg

It's... working? The enemy retreats!
2014_11_08_193658.jpg

2014_11_08_193706.jpg
2014_11_08_193714.jpg
2014_11_08_193720.jpg

2014_11_08_193738.jpg

Now, was that so hard, private Brown?

Mission Accomplished, 3 minutes into the game. No casualties.
2014_11_08_193759.jpg

Natural born heroes indeed.
:hero:
Now, I can't shake off the feeling that this was not exactly what was supposed to happen. :lol:

Since some plot exposition was supposed to take place in a span of 15 minutes that the game didn't have, should I redo the mission properly (and risk being court-martialled in the process)?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I am. How did you guess? :)

Honestly, doing the mission the usual way is pretty boring.

Mission 8: Natural Born Heroes. True Route.
I start pretty much in the same way, by turning most of my men into engineers, scrapping the unneeded defensive fortifications and building a Science Lab.
2014_11_08_234731.jpg

I repel the same first attack, and procure a gatling tank for myself.
2014_11_08_235023.jpg

Macmillan shows up. I turn his whole team into engineers as well, and send them all to upgrade my lab.
2014_11_08_235150.jpg

Now, the upgrade mechanics are interesting. Most of your primary facilities can be upgraded. The upgrades for Warehouse, Barracks and Workshop are pretty straightforward. The first one allows you to expand the base building radius, the second allows to specialize your soldiers (though we don't have the technology yet), and the last one allows you to build something more than just basic vehicles.

The Science Lab can be upgraded as well, but there are certain rules and limitations. First, the upgrades allow you to specialize the Lab. You can upgrade it to a Weapon R&D center, or you can devote it to studying Optics, or it can be dedicated to developing the Alaskite-related technology. Second, you can ony have two upgrades per Lab. So if you want to research everything, you will have to build at least two of them.

So I upgrade my Lab to specialize it in Optics and Weapons. I then select my best minds (you can sort your team by skills)...
2014_11_08_235302.jpg

...and commit them to research. Six lead scientists finish their tasks in record time.
2014_11_08_235527.jpg

The Optics has some interesting predictive tech to offer. With this, I am able to see the crates as they arrive. I no longer have to send men to scout for them.

The Factory upgrades are interesting as well. To build certain vehicles, you need the corresponding Factory extensions. To build cranes and bulldozers, you will need a Non-combat extension. To build remote vehicles, you will need one as well (it is the one to the left on the screenshot below). After we research gun technology in the Lab, we are allowed to build a Gun extension.
2014_11_09_000012.jpg

The Factory supports up to a total of 5 extensions, and if my memory is correct, there are 6 of them. Meaning you can't build everything, though missing on one is not all that severe.

There is not much else to say. We repel some attacks from the Russians.
2014_11_09_000338.jpg

We repel some more attacks from the Russians.
2014_11_09_000422.jpg

One of the most important things in the game is managing your wounded or damaged units. It is often too late to do anything when they've got into the red HP zone, so you need to start pulling them from combat beforehand. The AI makes a somewhat passable job of it, which may prove quite infuriating when the same healed/repaired units harass you again. Therefore, not letting the enemy escape is a pretty major part of the game. On the screenshot above, I have driven my tank directly behind the enemy's, limiting its maneurability and not allowing it to get back to the base. It also has less space to turn around. The enemy missed the window when he could still escape, and I add one more tank to my collection.

The other tank proves more interesting, though...
2014_11_09_000451.jpg

Another_Jack.jpg
- Shit. Where’s the driver? The Russians have got remote vehicles now!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- That’s not all they’ve got. We’ve seen turrets controlled by computers in the South.
Another_Jack.jpg
- Shit. So the cars are probably run by computer too. That’s why there’s no antennae. At least the programs pretty bad. They drive like my grandmother!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Let’s hope it works in our favour.

Automated vehicles work just like the normal ones, except their performance is far worse. They also can not be captured by normal means. If you try to repair a damaged enemy vehicle, the computer will take over and try to shoot you.

Our remote vehicles are superior to this tech in almost every regard, but then remotely controlled vehicles aren't fully automated, either. They still require a radio tower to connect the driver to the tank.

Still, remote vehicles have a disadvantage of not being able to repair after combat. The advantage, of course, being that the driver's life is not at risk.

I scrap my crappy starting remote vehicles and build a few heavy ones with manual controls. No cowards are allowed in our army!
2014_11_09_001116.jpg

They are a bit costly - 75 crates and 30 units of oil apiece - but I manage. Note the flashing red icon over the Factory. We do not produce enough energy to run it at maximum efficiency. That's what power plants are for. For now, we can only build solar and oil ones.

I don't use too many buildings simultaneously, and I don't rely on turrets, so I don't bother with building more.

Some more attacks from the Soviets.
2014_11_09_001340.jpg

This time, it's a Heavy Gun Tank. Nasty stuff, tears the armored units to pieces with its 124 attack. Not very good against infantry, though, and costs a ton. And I don't think its weapon can turn, it is just fixed in place, limiting its usability. If I capture one of these, it will make for a perfect siege weapon.
2014_11_09_001456.jpg

Sadly, I didn't succeed. The tank was blown up by the Russian defenders - I tried to move it back and it got too close to the enemy base while turning, because it is so huge and unwieldy. Eh.

Some more attacks later, I receive word from our old asshole acquaintance, Colonel Powell.
2014_11_09_001854.jpg

Powell_over_radio_small.jpg
- (over radio) This is Colonel Powell calling all bases. General Harrison is wounded. I’ve taken command. Await further orders.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- This is Macmillan here. How badly is he wounded?
- This isn’t a time for talking Macmillan. There are lives at stake.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You don’t have to tell me, we’re in deep shit.
- Once we’ve got things under control we’ll send you reinforcements. Get on with your job Macmillan.

More captured tanks...
2014_11_09_002013.jpg

And more Powell.
2014_11_09_002143.jpg

At this point I have a small tank army. I no longer build them since I lack experienced drivers for them anyway.

Mandatory Russians.
2014_11_09_002630.jpg

I don't know why they even bother anymore.
2014_11_09_002651.jpg

Finally!
2014_11_09_002926.jpg

Sikorsky_small.jpg
- We’re here Macmillan, just in time to save your ass!
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK Major, show us what you can do.
Sikorsky_small.jpg
- Let’s show the Lenin-loving bastards who rules. Ready for a counter attack?

Choice time!
2014_11_09_003956.jpg

Personally, I think he is crazy. Those Russians are scary.

But I'll let the 'Dex decide.

Last edited:

Ifeex

Augur
Only now have I noticed that you hijacked and continued this LP. Truly my observation skills are amazing.

Nevill

Arcane
Nah, do it. Let him lead the attack, naturally.
Okay. :troll:

Somewhere in the alternate timeline...
2014_11_09_131425.jpg

We are given 1 minute to prepare the attack and say our prayers. Then...
2014_11_09_131722.jpg

New objective received.
- Together with major Sikorski's team drive Russians from map. Put yourself in the lead, Sikorski is an old-school soldier and he believes the commander should be in the first line with his men.

Clearly, he knows nothing about tactics. If he thinks the commander needs to be in front, let him put his money where his mouth is. We will follow Azira's advice on the matter.
2014_11_09_131754.jpg

Sikorsky_small.jpg
- Macmillan, you yellow shit, where are you?
Right behind you, pal. :troll:

Sikorski's unit is quickly grinded to dust and it falls to us to clean up the place.
2014_11_09_131952.jpg

Victory is at hand!
2014_11_09_132718.jpg

Wait! I can explain!
Defeat.jpg
Well, a successful attack goes pretty much the same way, so I see no reason to redo this section anymore. The Russians just don't have enough units to defend against a 7 tank push, not to mention all the other units. You get the idea.

Now, if only I could figure out how to extract videos from the game...

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Interlude.

Mission 9: Siberite!

Interlude.
2014_11_09_160039.jpg

Gamma base; October 19, ERA + 1
A daring raid into the Russian territory and repelling their counterattack is the most successful US operation so far. However, the Russians remain the superior force, partly due to their ability to mine and utilise Siberite.

2014_11_09_160043.jpg

- (sarcastic) Major Macmillan, I’m going to give you a chance to demonstrate your great tactical thinking.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What do you want from me General?
- My forces have captured a Siberite deposit seventeen miles south-east of Alpha...
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- That’s nowhere near you. The operation should have been run from here...
- (angry) I decide what happens where! We succeeded where you may have failed, we attacked a Russian mine and now we have it under our control.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So why do you need me?
- I want you to hold the fort for a while. And as the Russians left they did a little damage.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- You mean the mine isn’t operating?
- It won’t be a lot of work Macmillan. I’m sure you can handle it.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I'll need engineers. How many people from Gamma can I take?
- Nobody, Macmillan. All the personnel and technology you need you'll get from Alpha.

- You'll command the unit of late major Sikorski. Major Sikorski was killed in action. It was an accident.
No it was not. :smug:
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I see. Did any Russians escape from your daring raid on the mine sir?
- Unfortunately one or two took the stores of Siberite with them.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Then I suppose they might be back with a few friends.
- (sarcastic) Razor sharp Macmillan! Of course you can expect a counter attack. And keep your eyes open for shipments, we’re expecting a few.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Is that all?
- I think that’s enough. We wouldn’t want to overburden you would we. Get to it Major.

Naturally, our team is not delighted.
Lisa_Lawson_small.jpg
- How come the boss never clears up his own shit?
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- He’s got us to do it for him.
Lisa_Lawson_small.jpg
- If we’d taken the mine it’d still be in one piece.
Frank_Forsyth_small.jpg
- And the Russians wouldn’t be.
Lisa_Lawson_small.jpg
- Powell has no idea what he’s doing…
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- That’s enough! Powell gives the orders; it’s our job to follow them. Let’s move it!
Tim_Gladstone_small.jpg
- Watch yourself John, it’s not an easy job.
Joan_small.jpg
- Please be careful.

2014_11_09_165219.jpg

Gamma base; October 19, ERA + 1
A Russian base with a Siberite mine fell into your hands. You will now have to secure enough of the precious mineral to propel the research of Siberite technologies.
:bunkertime:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 9: Siberite!
2014_11_09_164758.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What’s going on here?
Steve_small.jpg
- Orders from general Powell, sir. Building a terminal. We'll be loading Siberite onto trucks here. Can’t get any closer to the mine.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK, so you're the engineers from Alpha. I’m Major Macmillan. You gonna tell me that heap of shit is all the supplies we’ve got right?
Steve_small.jpg
- Yes, sir.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Great! OK. Take some crates and come with me. The mine’s somewhere to the South.

New objectives received:
- Join the soldiers who captured the deposit.
- Recommence Siberite mining.
- Wait for further orders.

We pick up 30 crates and head south.
2014_11_09_193409.jpg

The base is not too far. I take note of the apes we see on the way there. They might come in handy.
2014_11_09_193437.jpg

It looks like it had seen better days.
2014_11_09_193502.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Good to see you guys. I’m Major John Macmillan. I’m in command here now.
Gary_Small.jpg
- Sgt. Grant reporting Major. The guys and I heard a lot about you.
Bobby.jpg
- It was all good, believe me Major.
Cyrus_small.jpg
- Good to see you again Major. Sure need you here.
Hey! It's our bros from the very first mission, Cyrus Parker and Bobby Brandon. How've you been?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK, so fill me in Gary. What’s the situation?
Gary_Small.jpg
- Couple of counter attacks by the Russians, nothing we couldn’t handle.
Cyrus_small.jpg
- But when they bring their buddies we’re up shit creek. We got no Siberite no machines, we’re dead men.
And Cyrus is still whiny, heh.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK, take it easy. We’ve got some gear from Alpha over by the terminal, where the Siberite’s going. It’s not much but it’ll to do for now.
Glance_small.jpg
- We need tracked vehicles or we’ll be carrying that stuff and the Siberite on our backs. That’s got to be the priority.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- That’s going to mean building a factory.
Glance_small.jpg
- It’ll be worth it. With a bulldozer we could plough a track to the north.
Steve_small.jpg
- When Russians left, they did a thorough job of it. I don't have a clue where their mine used to be.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- This means we need a lab as well, otherwise we'll never find the place.
Gary_Small.jpg
- What do you say Major? Do we make our base around here or up at the terminal?
Glance_small.jpg
- There’s more space there, sir.
Jackson_small.jpg
- What the hell do we do that for!? If we’re up there the Russians can walk straight back in the mine and what’s Powell gonna say about that?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- End of discussion! I’m in command here, I’ll decide.

So let's take a look at our roster.
2014_11_09_193648.jpg

We've got 5 soldiers, 3 engineers, 2 mechanics, and 1 scientist. Most of them heavily specialized. That's not a very versatile crew.

(And wait, are those Steve Holland and Michael Jackson on the list? I wonder what the command was up to...)

We turn all of them into engineers and sent them to the north to transport the crates to the southern base. All except the scientist. I have another task for him in mind.
2014_11_09_193835.jpg

By the time our crew is returning with the crates, we find our third convert.
2014_11_09_194002.jpg

That should free our men from menial work.

Back at the base I construct an Armory and upgrade the Warehouse.
2014_11_09_194227.jpg

I do that because there is very little space to place the Lab, so I need a bigger base building radius to expand. Once it's done, I set up a nice laboratory in the woods (as well as an Oil Plant to power it).
2014_11_09_194424.jpg

And immediately put 4 of my best scientist to wok on Siberite detection. By the way, Macmillan is my second best scientist. Even though he is naturally predisposed to be a soldier, I developed him as a jack-of-all-trades, and it is starting to pay off.

But first, it leads to some funky scripting issues when he reports his discovery to himself. I've heard that math turns people a little crazy sometimes... :lol:
2014_11_09_194628.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (in a tenor voice) Major, we’ve discovered a way to detect Siberite deposits.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (in his usual voice) Good work. Let’s find the deposit in the base then we can look for a better deposit in the area. How big is this thing?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- (in a tenor voice) Any scientist can carry one on their own and go looking.

It does not take long after this for Powell to make contact and inquire about our progress.
- Major Macmillan, this is General Powell. What's your situation?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I’ve taken command of the engineers and soldiers. We’re about to start mining. But we need more resources. We should get the mine running with what we’ve got but it isn’t gonna secure the base as well.
- Sorry to hear you can’t manage, Macmillan. Don't worry, there’ll be more trucks there in fifteen minutes. But I don’t want them wasting the journey back. I want at least 60 Siberite crystals at the terminal when they get there.

New objective received.
- Mine as much Siberite as possible (at least 200 crystals).
New secondary objective received.
- Transport at least 60 Siberite crystals to the terminal.

I go back into the base, and sure enough, there is the Siberite deposit hidden behind trees. I order the construction of the mine...
2014_11_09_194747.jpg

...and the workshop, since I need cargo vehicles to transport resourses between the terminals.
2014_11_09_194957.jpg

I use my last crates to upgrade the workshop and build the Non-Combat and Tracked extentions. Non-combat vehicles include cargo trucks, construction cranes, and bulldozers. Tracked extension allows you to use tracked chassis for vehicles. The vehicles on tracks are slightly slower than wheeled ones, but they have a better terrain passability and can climb slopes.

It is then when the first rape squad arrives.
2014_11_09_195824.jpg

These new russian units are bazooka specialists. They are absolutely devastating to tanks and buildings, but their splash damage does not let you use infantry freely, either. One thing I dislike about this mission is that they spawn right on top of my base, so there is no way to see them coming, and they bring a lot of PAIN with them. The first time I did the mission, I was caught completely off-guard and got steamrolled in record time.

I am not very fond of surprises that require a prior knowledge to survive. Though maybe I am just doing the mission wrong. If the player builds the Science Lab on this small patch of land, chances are, they can get the scientists out and put them in the armory in time.

Me, I was prepared, I waited for them with 6 soldiers and the Armory looking straight at them from the high ground, and I still had to take my soldiers and leave the fortifications before they were burnt to the ground. The trees below greatly impair my visibility, so I need to lure them closer.
2014_11_09_195933.jpg

At the same time I was attacked by two tanks from behind. Thankfully, one of them was controlled by a computer, and the driver in the second one was completely inexperienced.
2014_11_09_200034.jpg

I stalled the tanks with a bunker while I fended off the enemy infantry. Despite my best efforts, I nearly lost my fortifications and a soldier (the scientists that tried to heal him came under rocket fire that nearly finished him off). This first counter-attack by Russians was truly brutal.
2014_11_09_200403.jpg

Thankfully, things are going to get easier from here. I have captured the gatling tank and managed to fix the damages in time. I will have more to work with when the next attack comes.

Meanwhile, I discovered that I don't have enough crates to produce a cargo vehicle, so I get the apemen to transport the siberite on foot.
2014_11_09_201258.jpg

The Russians make another attempt at recapturing the base (with a better trained soldiers, too), but this time with a gatling tank on my side, I am confidently standing my ground.
2014_11_09_201342.jpg

That's when we hear about an interesting discovery.

Irving_small.jpg
- Major, when we were cleaning the Siberite ore we came across some strange material.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- What’s so strange doc?
Irving_small.jpg
- It appears to have been fused at tremendous temperatures, and the bonding that’s going on here just doesn’t fit with the real world. It shouldn’t even exist.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So how come it does?
Irving_small.jpg
- It’s been made that way. This is a product of the same race that built the EON.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- We should look into it further. But there’s no time now. Store the samples and keep them safe. We don’t want the Russians getting hold of them.

This time the infantry is backed up by 3 tanks, and one of them is equipped with a rocket launcher.
2014_11_09_201743.jpg

While the damage it can dish out is nothing to write home about, this thing has an insanely big firing range. That makes it a perfect support weapon. If we get one of those on the highground, the enemy will not stand a chance.

The driver is promptly killed...
2014_11_09_202107.jpg

...and the rocket launcher vehicle is taken upstairs for repairs.
2014_11_09_202325.jpg

I scrap my captured gatling tank, and am finally able to afford a cargo truck.
2014_11_09_202530.jpg

It can transport 100 units of any resourse at once, which is 10 times more than a single engineer can lift. However, I forgot that there is yet no path to the northern terminal through the forest. We will need a bulldozer to make one.

They send 4 heavy tanks at us on the next counterattack...
2014_11_09_202814.jpg

...but all it does is make my vehicle park larger.
2014_11_09_203210.jpg

The supplies arrive shortly.
2014_11_09_203806.jpg

Transport_small.jpg
- Here comes Santa! We got a sack with your name on it.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Thanks guys. Take it to the depot.
Transport_small.jpg
- And you better have something for us. We go back with no Siberite you’ll be off the boss’s Christmas list.

Sadly, we are an exemplary soldier, so we don't have a chance to go full Renegade here.
You don't have 60 Siberite crystals at the terminal yet. What are you going to do?
- Ask the mechanic to wait five minutes.
- Send your apologies to general Powell.
- Tell the mechanic and Powell to go to hell.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- No problem. We got it all for you. Sorry we didn’t wrap it.
Transport_small.jpg
- We’re on our way, major. This truck loads gonna make Powell’s Christmas.

More counter-attacks from the Russians...
2014_11_09_204003.jpg

...'dat range!

I scrap the Science Lab because I've researched all I could with the upgrades I've chosen, and nearly lose a soldier because I forgot to keep a single scientist until I build a new Lab.

Our first bulldozer is deployed.
2014_11_09_204500.jpg

It is not too bad as an attacking vehicle, either, though obviously it is not the best choice.

It is getting crowded in here with all the captured vehicles. And I have only so many mechanics to drive them.
2014_11_09_204729.jpg

The bulldozer plows a path for the cargo truck to follow.
2014_11_09_205037.jpg

It all looks pretty straightforward from here when suddenly there is a noise on the radio.
- (Static) Hi, where is Commanding officer?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- This is Major Macmillan. Identify yourself.

2014_11_09_205205.jpg

Merc_1_small.jpg
- (over radio) Hey Major, big boss man, yes?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Who are you?
Merc_1_small.jpg
- I’m fairy godmother. You got trouble coming, Russian trouble. You need help.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Sure, and we’re gonna get it off some bastard terrorist!
Merc_1_small.jpg
- We have trouble Major, you not need to know more. Russians cause it, same ones who come for your blood.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Get to the point.
Merc_1_small.jpg
- Maybe, we help each other then Russians lose for once. They cut us off from our friends, now we need fuel for vehicles, you can give some to us, yes?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Depends what you’re gonna do for us.
Merc_1_small.jpg
- (over radio, weakly) Tell him, Lois.
Merc_2_small.jpg
- (over radio) Hi, I'm engineer, weapon specialist. As far as I know, your army doesn't use mortars – I think it could be useful for you now, yes?
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- How many you gonna give us?
Merc_2_small.jpg
- I do not have box full Major, I have knowledge. With resources I can prepare production quickly for you.

Choice time!
2014_11_09_205259.jpg

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. Better boom-sticks for dealing with terrorists? Not sure if want... Boom sticks are good, but helping terrorists is bad.
Leaning towards third option.

Heck with it! Third option!

Nevill

Arcane
...would it be any different if I said that there is a medal for receiving valuable intel from the mercenaries? :smug:

Freeform suggestions are considered, too. There is an (unwritten) option to receive better boom-sticks and shoot them right after they are done.

The game is full of win however you look at it. :love:

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. Sweet double-crossing yes? Get info, then kill the messengers? In war all is fair, no?

Go ahead. Take whatever intel you can get, then kill the filthy terrorists with their own weapons. :glee:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
*snip*

Well my friend, you broke the game.

Thanks for reviving this, my computer crapped itself out and work proved a time sucking bitch, so yeah...

EDIT: Kill the dirty kebabs. For more win - do it with bulldozers! Or just capture commie rocket tanks.

Ifeex

Augur
*snip*

Well my friend, you broke the game.

Thanks for reviving this, my computer crapped itself out and work proved a time sucking bitch, so yeah...

EDIT: Kill the dirty kebabs. For more win - do it with bulldozers! Or just capture commie rocket tanks.
Make a new LP to redeem yourself.

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, since no more votes are forthcoming I will deter to Azira's tactical genius yet again. :)
2014_11_10_205200.jpg

John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- OK. But double cross me and you’re blood on the walls you got that?
Nicholas.jpg
- Yes, sir. We're with you in one minute.

Well, this can't possibly go wrong...
2014_11_10_221421.jpg

They show up in about a minute. I order my troops not to shoot. You can mark enemy and neutral units so that your own would either prioritize or ignore them. Makes it much easier to eliminate annoying targets that move in and out of your firing range, or to capture damaged tanks without blowing them up with splash damage. There may be other cases when you would not want to fire at a certain enemy for whatever reason.

The cargo vehicle runs out of gas just a few meters short of my base. Immediately I am approached by Louis and two suspiciously looking mercenary soldiers.
2014_11_10_221527.jpg

They don't talk, just waltz into my base like they belong here. They take a look around and head straight for the Warehouse.

2014_11_10_221538.jpg

Um, why are you two kneeling besides my Warehouse? :? Don't get me wrong, I am flattered by your show of respect, but I just have a weird nagging suspicion in the back of my head that I am being had somehow.

The two finish their strange tour and come back to their vehicle to stand and observe. For two minutes, nobody says a word. It's kind of awkward. I wonder what everyone is waiting for.
2014_11_10_221738.jpg

Then I notice the second driver. Apparently, the vehicle we've seen blocked the passage when it stopped, forcing the other one to find a way around. Unfortunately, it didn't have any more fuel than the first one, forcing the driver to pull a Sisyphus and push the car all the way up the steep slope.

And not a soul lifted a finger to help. Man, I already dislike these peope.

After the driver reunites with his asshole friends, Louis starts carrying oil barrels on his back, refueling the vehicles. One engineer can carry 10 units of oil, and it takes 30 to fully refuel a tank.
2014_11_10_221848.jpg

Fun fact: an oil barrel can be dropped on the ground, and then fired upon, producing a small explosion. Might come handy for organizing defences in some fringe cases.

Meanwhile, I level down some trees and sneak a bulldozer and a heavy rocket tank behind the mercs.

With the vehcles refueled, we request that the guests honor their part of the agreement. The construction of the Arabian Armoury starts.
2014_11_10_222200.jpg

And since I am not an asshole, I call upon everyone to help them with it. The building is done in record time, but we are not finished yet. The Armoury doesn't do anything by itself. To make use of new weapons, it needs to be upgraded to the Barracks, first.

2014_11_10_222243.jpg

Note that the third vehicle have joined the two behind the mercenaries, and my two smaller rocket launchers are gone. Now where could they be? :smug:

Louis.jpg
- OK. So we are done. Now you can give your men mortars.
Nicholas.jpg
- And we can go. It is good we work together. No other way to beat Russians. They know too much about Siberite now.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So what do they know?
Louis.jpg
- Information has a price commander. It cost us dear. It must cost you also.

2014_11_10_222343.jpg

Well, we are committed now... Might as well milk you for what it's worth.

What should I give, though? Why, since our base is built for the sole reason of collecting Siberite, why don't we give away that? I am sure Powell wouldn't mind us sharing. :cool:

Louis swiftly loads the invaluable mineral onto the cargo truck while I order my soldiers inside the barracks and equip them with new toys.

2014_11_10_222725.jpg

Nicholas.jpg
- OK. That's good, we don't return empty.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- So what info’s worth two full tanks?
Nicholas.jpg
- We discover Russians advance incredibly in Siberite research. They do many special projects. We saw one – they produce missiles to warp space-time. We were yards from their test range.
Louis.jpg
- They fired into a pile of rocks. They vanished to return in different places, scattered yards away. Battle formation can be destroyed by this.
Maria.jpg
- And there was the other weapon...
Louis.jpg
- A decelerator. A man stood with tank coming towards him, he fires bazooka and it moves slower and slower...
2014_11_10_222745.jpg

Maria.jpg
- It was not power failure it caused, the tank fired and the shell moved as in slow motion also. It was time that changed.
Nicholas.jpg
- And while it is moving so slowly the guy moves lever on bazooka to fire normal weapon at tank. It explodes into fireball.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- I paid you two tanks for this bullshit!
Nicholas.jpg
- It shows how far behind Russians you are that you don’t believe us. They have done this and more. That is why we must join forces. They have the means to destroy us all.
John_Mc_Millan_small.png
- Just get in your vehicles and move. Whatever shit the Russians throw at us we ain’t joining sides with you guys.
Nicholas.jpg
- So we are leaving. Have fun with Russians.

We will. But first, we will have a little fun with you. And a bulldozer.
2014_11_10_223926.jpg

The first volley is devastating. You don't see mortarmen or the shells on the picture (except for Gary Grant in the bunker), but the explosions speak for themselves. And being gently rolled into dirt by a 50-ton truck does not help them either.

Nicholas.jpg
- You bastard! Now you pay! (Arabians blow up charges that they placed near depot) :terrorist:

AZIIIIIRAAAAAA!!! :argh::argh::argh:

Except nothing happens. An error in the script prevents this part from playing correctly. What a shame. :P

The mercenaries try to flee, but I order my tanks to hold ground, and they do not give way, standing as an impenetrable wall of steel between the terrorists and the exit.
2014_11_10_223954.jpg

They try to fight back, but they only succeed in frying their own people with the flamethrower, while the mortars pound on them. It is a complete deathtrap.

The soldiers are ran over, and the last vehicle, the cargo truck, is pressed into the nearby tree with a bulldozer.
2014_11_10_224230.jpg

Now, the rocket launchers can not operate at such short distances, but bulldozers totally can. :)

We slowly turn them into a fine pancake until the driver can't take it anymore and jumps out. I flagged the vehicle so that my people didn't attack it by accident, but the driver counts as a new unit, and so eats a full mortar barrage. Tsk. Those mortarmen may be overpowered, but they are completely oblivious to the concept of a collateral damage. I switch them back to soldiers and come down to shoot the last mercenary without causing additional mayhem.
2014_11_10_224305.jpg

And I will be taking that Siberite back, along with the cargo truck, if no one else minds. A pleasure doing business with you. :smug:
2014_11_10_230648.jpg

Operation: Cooperation is a sound success. :salute:

All that is left is to fend off some lazy Russian attempts at counter-attacks. Mortarmen make short work of them before most units even come in range to fire a shot.
2014_11_10_230809.jpg

2014_11_10_231111.jpg

2014_11_10_231341.jpg

I could probably do it for the rest of my life, but Powell spoils the fun, as always.
2014_11_10_231826.jpg

We load whatever Siberite we can on the trucks, take what isn't nailed down, and withdraw to the terminal like nice obedient kids that we are.
2014_11_10_232020.jpg

2014_11_10_232110.jpg

The bulldozer is the last to cross the line. I am not leaving this baby behind. :love:

Mission Accomplised
2014_11_10_232321.jpg

What, I didn't get the third medal? But I was so close! Wait, why those 60 crystals I sent to the HQ early did not count for the total?!

POOOOWEEEEEELLLLL!!! :x
If only I have stayed for a bit more... :negative:

The perfectionist in me died a little inside.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom