Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play: Prisoner of Ice

poiintro1.jpg

poiintro2.jpg

A crate? Must be importan-

poiintro3.jpg

poiintro4.jpg

poiintro5.jpg

poiintro6.jpg

Take cover!!!

poiintro7.jpg

poiintro8.jpg

poiintro9.jpg

It's not over yet, those german planes can take alot of dama-

poiintro10.jpg

Poor FRITZ... So young and already in the next world.

poiintro11.jpg

poiintro12.jpg

poiintro13.jpg

poiintro14.jpg

... Damn.

prisonerofice.jpg

54080738.jpg

The submarine H.M.S VICTORIA has picked up two mysterious crates as well as a young Norwegian explorer: Björn Hamsun.
Unfortunately, the commando in charge of the "POLARIS" operation was unable to save Björn's father, Peter...
He would always remain a prisoner of an ultra-secret base...

72221192.jpg

43458107.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
Lieutenant O'Leary reported missing. Returning to Base.

33338584.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
Affirmative.

95923384.jpg

47016584.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
Loud and clear. Over and out.

58781360.jpg

Seems like the cutscene is over. Time to start poking things... Let's start with the captain.

35258336.jpg

ryang.jpg
Do you think Hamsun will pull through?

thecaptain.jpg
We shall do our utmost to ensure that the scientific community does not lose its most brilliant anthropologist!

Brilliant? But wasn't his father... Nevermind.

45944129.jpg

ryang.jpg
Are the two crates safe, Captain?

thecaptain.jpg
Your Secret Service superiors in Washington will be pleased to know that they are now in the hands of the Royal Navy, Lieutenant Ryan!

Right. One more topic to go then.

82069587.jpg

ryang.jpg
That Hamsun's got nerve! I wonder how on earth he managed to send us an SOS while in the hands of the Nazis...

thecaptain.jpg
Without that chap, Operation Polaris would never have got off the ground!

Look like we're done with the captain. Now to explore the subma-

29446764.jpg

90417826.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
7 degree tilt... Climb to within 20 feet...

91759154.jpg

Erm... Maybe it's friendly?

75316151.jpg

Uh-oh...

thecaptain.jpg
They've tracked us! Dive!

driscoll.jpg
Aye, aye, Captain!

96839487.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
Declare a state of red alert! Damage report, Driscoll?

driscoll.jpg
They've hit the stern, Captain!

thecaptain.jpg
To the hold, Lieutenant! Follow me!

17945208.jpg

91075921.jpg

92388362.jpg

45018567.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
The flames are going to melt the ice covering the crates!

13259246.jpg

77532111.jpg

thecaptain.jpg
Wha-

53034647.jpg

The door slams shut and the captain is beyond our reach. (Also this happened so damn fast that i couldn't even capture it in a screenshot. Damn it.)

Will Ryan meet the same fate? Tune in next time!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Somehow, the moment the Captain gets entangled by the tentacles and pulled into the cargo hold within the blink of an eye always made me laugh.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
One of those adventure games that I remember fondly, but for some reason never felt the urge to play more than twice. It's very solid, the opening chapter in particular is incredibly immersive, but POI quickly loses some of its appeal. Luckily, it gets better and retains its charm towards the end.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Ze ammunition is zepleted sir !
Throw dem zomething , anything !!
Hail !
Not ze wing, stupide !!! FFFUUUUUUUU-

poiintro9.jpg

A lot of tentacle action, keep it up!

And we're back.

Ryan seems to think that this extinguisher is going to be a useful tool best used to extinguish the flames, so he picks it up.
90420479.jpg

Success! Ryan strikes a dynamic pose to celebrate his victory!
73824090.jpg

Then suddenly...
errornlt.jpg

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- :x

Hopefully i can fix this... uh... malfunction.

-much swearing later- Well, it seems like it's borked. I've got to download it from another source or something, heh. It'll be back in a while... I hope.

Fuck yes! The problem is solved and we're ready to continue.

Having extinguished the flames, Ryan heads back to the bridge in order to find the means of which to fight the thing that took the captain... But let's declare our supremacy to Driscoll first.

68468357.jpg

driscoll.jpg
"Aye, aye, Admiral! We'll get out of it! What are your orders?"

ryanf.jpg
"We've got to tame the beast!"

driscoll.jpg
"The enemy vessel has disappeared from the radar. That's one worry less anyway! What shall we do about the creature?"

Hmm... Let's ask him if there're any weapons here, but let's not dawdle! I don't belive Ryan, nor I, would like to meet thir creature just yet.

20659763.jpg

ryanf.jpg
"Are there any weapons aboard the Victoria?"

driscoll.jpg
"No, Admiral! The Victoria is not fitted out for offensive operations."

Fuck. What about Hamsun, that norwegian twerp?
35522983.jpg

ryanf.jpg
"Where's Hamsun? Maybe he knows something..."

driscoll.jpg
"They've put him in a bunk to sleep. But he's still delirious!"

Maybe i should head over there... One more question, though.
25004281.jpg

ryanf.jpg
[/img] "Is someone keeping an eye on Hamsun?"

driscoll.jpg
"Yes. Wayne is with him."

Okay, enough screwing around... Time to move out before we get raped, just like the captain. Hmm, better loot his drawers first. Heh heh...
71057832.jpg

Jinkies! Clues! A code book which'll allow us to work the radio, a key... and a tape recorder. Well i'm sure the captain won't mind if i steal these and sell them once i get off this tub. Now, to the sleeping quarters.

32880772.jpg

Better check all the nooks and cranies here before we talk to Hamsun.
49805616.jpg

What an odd looking medal... Could come in handy, i suppose. Now, let's talk to Hamsun.
82580777.jpg

67417652.jpg

THAT'S CAPTAIN RYAN! -grabs collar- -cough- Anyway, Hamsun...
19775303.jpg

Hey, that's not norwegian! Imposter! Anyway, he's not responding at all... He just keeps saying that over and over again. Guess that's what you get when you sign up for a gig like this, eh? Trial and error time! We'll start by trying the medal on him since the other items seem pretty damned illogical for this problem. Also, the medal kinda looks like Chthulhu so... who knows.
32371311.jpg

Good boy...
60233430.jpg

Now how's that going to help Ryan survive this situation? Perhaps if we... record it?
89347025.jpg

Success! Now to return to the bridge and see what Andyman... i mean Driscoll thinks of all this.

165l.jpg

18123210.jpg

Damn it! The bugger broke free and blew the door away with some energy blast which then hit the guy who was guarding Hamsun! What do we have that could affect this scaly nightmare of which i'm sure many codexers would love to be molested by? The recording!
36719881.jpg

This had better work you delusional douchebag cause otherwise i'm going to-
72947889.jpg

Excellent. But i cannot help but wonder how they'll cope with the aftermath of these events. The submarine is in poor condition and plenty of the crew members are dead. Find out next time!

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I loved the fact that using the recording empowers Ryan with some kind of electric arc and made him say the words himself instead of playing them back in the recording.

Also very clever to give you two endings that you only need to choose at the very end, nothing else to do, no choice, no consequence.

Lazy artists, this pisses me off!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, I can't see a couple of pics near the end:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3417/60233430.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3892/165l.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4830/18123210.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5368/36719881.jpg

Imageshack does this shit sometimes. May I suggest photobucket? I was also using imageshack in the SOT lp , but at one point it became so annoying that I switched to photobucket. With PB you can mass upload and manage your pics a lot better.

I'll make the switch to photobucket today. Thanks for the suggestion.

I loved the fact that using the recording empowers Ryan with some kind of electric arc and made him say the words himself instead of playing them back in the recording.

Also very clever to give you two endings that you only need to choose at the very end, nothing else to do, no choice, no consequence.

Lazy artists, this pisses me off!

Yup... PoI is probably one of those games that eventually caused the death of the adventure genre. It's quite linear, but still interesting enough to play through, if only once.

Destroid

Arcane
I thought most adventure games were linear? Can I get some examples of non-linear adventure games?

This one is a little bit more linear than your avarage adventure game. It's kinda hard to describe... Hmm... I guess it "feels" like a movie with partial interaction.

An example: Later in the game you're completely unable to interact with much of the enviroment. There's usually only one object every now and again which you need to pick up. Compare this to the many ways the enviroment can kill you for fucking up in Shadow of the Comet and you get a rough idea on how they screwed up Prisoner of Ice.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
PoI forces you to do the puzzles one after the other while other games, LucasArts come to mind, allows you to work on different puzzles at the same time, letting you explore a bigger environment and then figure out what to do there. And as SV said, in the late parts of the game you move in a puzzle room and need to solve the very easy puzzle in order to move to the next puzzle room.

Seboss

Liturgist
Trivia: my brother's roommate was an artist on this game and they were in the same pnp RPG group for years. The guy also worked on Full Metal Planet.

Awesome huh.

Luzur

Good Sir
"Jag har aldrig älskat någon" = I have never loved anyone

i wonder whats got to do with Chtulhu?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Stereotypical Villain said:
This one is a little bit more linear than your avarage adventure game. It's kinda hard to describe... Hmm... I guess it "feels" like a movie with partial interaction.

An example: Later in the game you're completely unable to interact with much of the enviroment. There's usually only one object every now and again which you need to pick up. Compare this to the many ways the enviroment can kill you for fucking up in Shadow of the Comet and you get a rough idea on how they screwed up Prisoner of Ice.
Well I enjoyed Prisoner of Ice when I had played it, ages ago. I think linearity suits some games and not others, especially games advertised as being very free-form.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
ghostdog said:
Ze ammunition is zepleted sir !
Throw dem zomething , anything !!
Hail !
Not ze wing, stupide !!! FFFUUUUUUUU-

poiintro9.jpg

A lot of tentacle action, keep it up!
:lol:

Seboss

Liturgist
Was there a full booklet of back story provided with the game? Because the game itself sure is lacking on that matter so far :?

It'll be explained once we get a bit further into the game, i promise. (And if you guys want to i could explain certain parts of it as i play the game.)

Update due tomorrow.

Welcome back to the H.M.S. Victoria, the safest submarine in the entire royal navy.

Seems like Wayne's still alive. Let's check up on him.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Just hold on, Wayne! I can look the part once we hit shore. Yes, we'll look up the best damned plastic surgeon and we'll...

4.jpg

... Ingrate.

The Victoria continues its trip back to port...
5.jpg

... but we're suddenly interrupted by another cutscene showing a shadow put something down and then walking away as something starts to tick. Uh-oh.
6.jpg

7.jpg

Ryan.jpg
"Has the enemy vessel come back? Is it a reef?"

Driscoll.jpg
"I've got nothing on radar, Admiral! It came from within the Victoria!!!"

Ryan.jpg
"Any damage?"

Driscoll.jpg
"Leakage in the torpedo room! We need to send an SOS and flush out the torpedo room!"

Okay, so we've now got a use for the code book we picked up earlier. Let's head over to the radio and send that SOS.
8.jpg

9.jpg

So we need to get the frequency now... Hmm. Better ask Driscoll.
10.jpg

Driscoll.jpg
"Have you sent out the SOS?

Uuuuh... :oops:
11.jpg

Ryan.jpg
"How can we flush out the torpedo room?"

Driscoll.jpg
"We can't do it from here! We need to enter the torpedo room!"

Okay, so Driscoll's of no use at this time. Let's head over to the engine room... or, uh, i hope that's the engine room.
12.jpg

13.jpg

No luck for SV. :( Let's check the bridge again.
14.jpg

Oh... Right, let's see what's down there.
15.jpg

RYAN TO THE RESCUE!
16.jpg

17.jpg

Alright, sound like a plan in which NOTHING can go wrong. No sir, nothing can go wrong. Let's hit the switch.
18.jpg

19.jpg

Seems like i need to do something else before this'll work... Hmm.
20.jpg

Hurrrrrrr. Duuuuurrrrr. Durrrr hurrr.

There's basically nothing in the machine room of which i can use to free this chap. I decided to go back to the living quarters and search for something to use and found these two items under the bed.
21.jpg

22.jpg

Guess i could use the life jacket to pull the winch, so let's head back and use it. (Better turn the machine off first though.)
23.jpg

And now for the actual pulling, or so i hope.
24.jpg

25.jpg

What the fuck? Okay, so the uh... ice boot thingies?
26.jpg

27.jpg

Okay, so this isn't working. Let's head to the cargo hold and see what we can salvage there.
28.jpg

HALT. Hammerzeit! Okay, so what if we use the ice shoes to traverse this slippery surface?
29.jpg

30.jpg

... of nazi gold?
31.jpg

It's never nazi gold. Anyway, i can't do anything with it just yet so i must've missed something (again). I went back and checked the living quarters (again) and found a hatchet.
32.jpg

Time to see if this'll help us with the grill problem. But before that...
28.jpg

Yes, that's right! I forgot the damned ice boots and Ryan gets to breakdance once more. Good times. Anyway, about that grill...
33.jpg

34.jpg

God damn it! It seems i need to give this some more thought... Expect to see Ryan get the hell out of this submarine this evening.

Lovecraftian tales are not supposed to show a monster in the first 5 minutes, it destroys all tension and suspense. Apart from that, good LP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom