Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Quest for Glory!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yes I think Sierra game is notorious for the 'if you forget something , it's game over' kinda of puzzle. Very very frustrating. This is why Lucasarts adventure start to get more popular since it doesn't punish people for overlooking some things. Even monkey island 2 has 2 difficulties!(Yes, for an adventure game! imagine that!)

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Monkey Island 2? "LeChuck's Revenge"? No, no, no. You must mean Monkey Island 3, "the Curse of". Ron never backed down from his artistic achievements to spare people from "harder" puzzles. They did in #3 though. You could play "Monkey" or "Mega Monkey", or something like that.

Anyway, excellent thread, Lestat! I've got half a mind to boot up Quest for Glory myself. Can you export/import characters using Dosbox?

HanoverF said:
Speaking of QfG, There was some group of programmers working on a VGA update of QfG2, anyone know if that ever got finished?

Yes I'm too lazy to google it myself :P
http://www.agdinteractive.com/QFG2.php says it's still in development but getting there.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Locue said:
Anyway, excellent thread, Lestat! I've got half a mind to boot up Quest for Glory myself. Can you export/import characters using Dosbox?

Yes you can. Lestat, do you mind if I keep answering some questions?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Locue said:
Monkey Island 2? "LeChuck's Revenge"? No, no, no. You must mean Monkey Island 3, "the Curse of". Ron never backed down from his artistic achievements to spare people from "harder" puzzles. They did in #3 though. You could play "Monkey" or "Mega Monkey", or something like that.

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was rated highly for several reasons. The game is considered user friendly as it has a "lite" mode.[7] This allowed beginners to play the game at an easier setting. The overall difficulty of both modes is also considered to be good.[7] The redesign in controls, such as the fewer verbs and graphical inventory were rated well as increasing the game's ease of use.[8]

off wiki.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
RK47 said:
Locue said:

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was rated highly for several reasons. The game is considered user friendly as it has a "lite" mode.[7] This allowed beginners to play the game at an easier setting. The overall difficulty of both modes is also considered to be good.[7] The redesign in controls, such as the fewer verbs and graphical inventory were rated well as increasing the game's ease of use.[8]

off wiki.
Hmm... Sure is news to me. What version was that? I've played most versions, floppy, cd, you name it, and never had a choice between two difficulties. It does seem you are right, though, since World of Monkey Island confirms it. Damn hippies! It's always the hippies and their weakminded adventuring skills!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Every version of MI 2 I played had that, and I played it when it came out on the PC.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Found out about it from World of MI. Turns out my copy is from a PC Gamer-thing, only I bought it from a store complete with a big fuckoff box. Seems very odd but that's the only version that doesn't have easy-mode so I suppose it has to be. Probably some special european version made for special european gamers! Like me! I'm damn special! And I'm damn metrosexual, uh, european!

Damn. I've been living a lie, haven't I?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jasede said:
Yes you can.
Damn. When I completed QfG1 remake I certainly was unable to import the character in QfG2. I even wrote to Sierra about this and got a reply that it was not possible (iirc - I'm not sure).

Than I created a character in the second game and noticed he had really higher stats than the one I finished QfG1 with :D.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
That's weird, it worked for me.
:idea: Maybe it's a bug they only fixed in the Quest for Glory Archive release? That's the one I played (to death).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
38dt1.jpg

It's time to spend what I have rightfully stolen. Unfortunately, the local shopkeeper doesn't have much to offer: empty flasks, a clumsy breastplate and daggers. Daggers? I take 10! There's still a couple of locations I haven't been to yet, so let's visit one of them and try to find some information regarding the Baron's children. It's a cave. And an ogre guards it.

40il7.jpg

I have time to throw only 2 daggers in him before it comes to the melee. But he's slow and his attacks are easy to dodge, so in a couple of seconds the ogre is no more.

41lc5.jpg

He doesn't have any coins on his body, but he does have a small casket. Once again the ACME toolkit comes to my aid, the lock breaks and I find 1 gold and 43 silvers inside. Let's enter the cave.

42ew1.jpg

There's a chained bear inside. And it's hungry. Maybe one of my food rations will satiate the bear's hunger? And that it does, so we can safely proceed.

43ws3.jpg

A kobold? The guildmaster didn't mention any kobolds. I doubt it would be a good idea to wake this creature: it's powerful enough to capture a bear after all. But we can play a little prank on it: let's steal the key from it and unchain the bear!

44ar3.jpg

It turns out that the bear is no other than the lost baronet. The little sucker is also very rude, but hey! There is a 50 golds reward the Baron is ought to pay me, so the castle is our next stop.

45ps3.jpg

The Baron is very grateful: he pays Jack what was promised and also tells him about a prophecy that states:

Comes a Hero from the East,
Free the man from in the beast;
Bring the child from out the band;
Drive the curser from the land.

Apparently, Elsa is being held in the brigand camp. But before storming the place it would be wise to finish the Dispel Potion and visit two powerful magic users who live in the valley: Zara and Erasmus.

46nb4.jpg

Zara runs a magic shop in Spielburg and loves flashy special effects, but doesn't know much about curses. She mentions, however, that Erasmus takes great interest in them and that his tower can be found to the north-east. She also warns that Erasmus is quite eccentric and his sense of humor can be very strange.

Erasmus' tower is guarded by a talking gargoyle who demands anyone who seeks the wizard's advice to answer three questions:

1. What is your name?

2. What is your quest?
47en0.jpg

3. What is the meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything?
48ct4.jpg

Man, these questions look awfully familiar... Anyway, after answering all of them correctly the gargoyle lets me in.

49re5.jpg

To say that Erasmus and his familiar, Fenris, have a strange sense of humor is to say nothing. But they do have some useful information: there is a magic mirror that can be used to reflect spells. And Baba Yaga promised that she will turn me into a frog on sight...

It's time to finish the potion! I have almost everything I need except one thing: Flying Water. Will the waterfall water do?
50vw9.jpg

Let's fill a flask with it. Is it a door up there? There's only one way to find out: to climb the cliff and knock. The "door" swings open...

51bn8.jpg

Meet 'Enry the 'ermit. He happens to be a friend of both Erasmus and the brigand Warlock. And the Warlock is the one who has the mirror now. It all just gets better and better...

Time to visit the Healer. She quickly brews the Dispel Potion without even charging a pay. What a wonderful woman. Oh, and let's buy a couple of vigor potions: I'm running out of these.

Now let's check the tavern floor in case the brigand spy left some more notes. He did! There will be sort of meeting at the archery range, to the south of the town. But what will happen there? Only time will tell...

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
52oj5.jpg

And here we are. Looks like some brigands aren't happy with their ringleader and are planning a coup. How codexian of them. They also mention that there is a secret entrance to the camp, that is guarded by a "bouncer" from the outside and by Fred the troll from the inside. Bouncer? Could be an antwerp. Oh, and to get past the troll you also need to say the password: "Hiden goseke". The entrance itself is locked, but I'm a thief, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But before infiltrating the camp I need to prepare, and prepare well. First, let's visit the Healer and buy some potions. Second, let's build up the stats. The best way to do it is to play with the Chief. Playing "darts" increases Strength, Vitality, Agility, Luck and, obviously, Throwing. I play until the sunset, and on my way outside I find yet another note. Apparently, I'm getting too nosy and should be dealt with. Better be careful then.

53sn1.jpg

Time to visit the local inn. It's run by Shameen and Shema, two kattas who hail from the land of Shapeir. Their friend, merchant Abdulla, has been robbed by the brigands recently and has nothing to live on. After I buy him a meal he describes the brigands. There are three brigands of note: the leader, the warlock and a minotaur. Crap, nobody mentioned any minotaurs when I signed for this job. Oh well, it's getting late, so let's rent a room for a night.

Time to pwn these bandits!

54ea5.jpg

To the south-west of Spielburg I find the bouncer. He's not much of a guard and bounces away when I come closer. Now let's examine the rock. Hmmm... A keyhole. Picking this lock takes some time, but Jack's superior intelligence and skill with lockpicks prevail. The rock is quite easy to move and a passage opens. Wait. Don't forget about the password. Hiden goseke. Something inside moves and it's finally safe to enter.

55mn5.jpg

The tunnel leads straight to the brigand camp gates, which are guarded by the minotaur. Sorry for the crappy screeny, BTW, looks like there are some scratches on the disk. Sneaking past the monster doesn't pose any challenge, neither does climbing over the paling, thanks to the rocks by it.

56ow1.jpg

This room is full of amateurish traps that are ungodly easy to bypass: sawed bridges, strained strings - you name it.

57bo1.jpg

Now this room is a different matter. There is a small detachment of brigands coming after me, so let's close and bar the door I came in through. The door to the right is easily barricaded with the chair.
58cz7.jpg

Here they come through another door. Blocking their way the candelabra will force them to go around the table and will buy me enough time to do this fancy trick:
59vv4.jpg

60hy2.jpg

I'm not called Jack Bauer for nothing, kids. Now let's get out of here.

61uj0.jpg

What the hell is this place?! It turns out that the brigand warlock and Yorick the jester are the same person. And he personally designed this maze, so the brigands couldn't bother Elsa, who happens to be their leader. Yorick also says that I can find the magic mirror on Elsa's desk. After some aimless wandering I finally reach the other side of the maze.

62mu4.jpg

Yorick warned me that Elsa is the best swordsman in the valley, so without trying anything stupid let's just throw the potion on her. The enchantment is broken, but the brigands are trying to break into the room. Quickly grabbing the mirror and getting away through another secret passage is a sound idea.

The only thing left to do is paying Baba Yaga another visit. As promised, she tries to turn Jack into a frog, but...
63rp4.jpg

Heh, heh... I love this mirror.

64qz1.jpg

Plane tickets, bitch!

Needless to say, Jack is celebrated as a great hero, but there are other places where his help is needed. And so the Hero of Spielburg leaves the valley with his new friends for the mysterious land of Shapeir. What will happen there? You'll find it out in Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire! Stay tuned!

65xx1.jpg

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Save :shock: smiley for QfG2 - it has EGA graphics. 64 colors, since you're a troll and don't know what that means. And please, get out of this thread. I would be much obliged.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
QfG 2 has only 16 of those 64 colours displayed at all times, if memory serves right. But it's the most beautiful EGA game I know regardless, they do amazing tricks to make it look like more colour.

larpingdude14

Scholar
Hey Im not trying to be rude or anything, i just not often see a game old like this. The graphics doesnt look very immersive to me, but maybe this is/was a good game.

Texas Red

Whiner
How long did it take you to finish the game?

And Im waiting forward to QfG 2 thread. :honorblade:

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
How long did it take you to finish the game?
About 6 hours, I think.

And Im waiting forward to QfG 2 thread. :honorblade:

Here's a taste of the awesome things that are to come:
QfG 2 Manual said:
Warlord
This is the perfect job for the aggressive, gung-ho type fighter. If you have the moxie for mayhem, the obsession for aggression, the resolution for revolution, and a few friends, then you, too, can have a successful career in pillaging and looting. Imagine yourself at the head of an entire army, storming the countryside and leaving only havoc in your wake. If you love the smell of naphtha in the morning, this is the job for you. Remember - it's "Loot before pillage, sack before burn".

Babysitter
There are few jobs more dangerous, or less rewarding, than that of the Combat Nanny. On the whole, you're better off charging Dragons than changing diapers.

Corporate Manager
If you prefer the power of the petty bureaucrat - having people constantly wait upon you, passing down directives on Wednesday which must be completed by Tuesday, and sitting in an air-conditioned office while less clever Magic Users are flame-broiling fiends in the hot Summer sun - then the job of Corporate Manager is for you. Let others do your work for you. Even the simplest Calm spell is more than sufficient to make friends and influence people, encouraging those of lesser ability (such as Computer Programmers) to work long hours of unpaid overtime on your behalf.

Godfather
To really become a Godfather, it helps to have plenty of relatives. You must learn to use bad grammar and mumble when you speak. Above all, be generous. If someone has something you want, make him an offer he can't refuse.

Politician
It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it.

CEO
See politician.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Actually, there's still progress, at least. Last update on the site was a few months ago. Also, up and coming: QfG 2 & 3, proof there used to be furries in the Sierra development team. Better video-record Katta's dance.

TrustNo1

Scholar
heh, I can kind of tell that you have played it before and know where to go. I have fond memories of playing the original version and figuring out the game with the text parser thing. Just walking around the forest exploring, and asking everyone in town all conceivable questions.

Getting lost in the woods at night and running from things that only come out at night. And getting the days ration inn the inn every evening while you sit and talk to that sultan guy. Finding the Brigand ambush in the forest and attacking it headon with my poor thief, getting slaughtered.

Finally finding the notes in the bar and the stealthy way to do things, consolidating my fetish for thief characters.... I have allways been dissapointed after that, when I try to play many games with a thief character. There are often not same options to avoid combat.

/End of nostalgic rant.

Noceur

Liturgist
While the EGA palette has 64 colours, only 16 of these can be used on screen at a time. (although there might be exploits to use more than 16 colours, as there were CGA exploits before EGA)

Anyway, Hero's Quest was one of the first games I played through on my old 286. Thanks for linking to the AGD QFG2 remake... I never did finish that one (nor QFG4 and later games).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
You want some more Quest for Glory goodness? Wait no more! Because today we will begin our adventures in the land of Shapeir, full of raging elementals, wish-granting Djinn, treacherous Ifreet, power-hungry viziers, enchanted beasts and references to Casablanca!

52804253lb5.jpg

Kind developers offer us a generous opportunity of importing the character straight from the original Quest for Glory. Now let's click this big Start Game button and begin!

66306602nv2.jpg

The story begins at the Katta's Tail inn. Abdulla says that something weird has been happening in the Raseir, the sister city of Shapeir. Rumors are that the emir disappeared and no one knows why. Sounds like a worthy job for the Hero of Spielburg. Now let's order a meal, eat it and begin exploring; of the city of Shapeir.

11301995ye4.jpg

The local merchant Alichica has some useful stuff to offer: a compass and a map. Let's buy them. But if only it was so simple... Gold coins from Spielburg aren't popular here, so we need to find a money changer first. Alichica gives Jack the directions, and boy, he's gonna need them.

21669624so8.jpg

Because this city is a fucking maze and navigating it without a map is next to impossible.

57356022fq0.jpg

Finally, I find the money changer. She also happens to be the local representative of the Thieves Guild and may have some work to do if I come to her again tomorrow evening. Now let's go shopping! Our first purchase is map and compass.

89488288nw8.jpg

36585061ey8.jpg

Our next stop is the apothecary. The owner's name is Harik Attar. He doesn't make any potions, unless they're special orders, but he does have some pills that restore your health, stamina and mana to sell. And speaking of special orders: the druggist can make a Dispel Potion if you bring him a Griffin Feather and the Fruit of Compassion. The enchantress Aziza may now more about the Fruit. Harik is also the one to ask if you need some oil, the often overlooked part of thief's inventory.

97273623ny2.jpg

Meet Keapon Laffin, the proprietor of the Magic Shop. He has a Magic Rope in stock, but it's too expensive for me. But my visit isn't in vein: Keapon mentions that Aziza lives at Shmalii Tarik. He also reccomends to visit the astrologer who lives at the end of Tarik of Stars.

44512239pm2.jpg

Near the Adventurers Guild hall I meet Rakeesh the paladin. His leg was damaged when he fought to protect his kingdom from a demon.

10dq3.jpg

The guildmaster's name is Uhura. She is a friend of Rakeesh and can spar with me. There is a couple of messages at the bulletin board, but only two of them catch my attention: a 1000 dinars reward for restoring the emir to power and an unspecified reward for bringing the part of the Dervish's beard to Keapon. Now let's sign in the logbook and go back to the inn: it's getting late.

What will happen on day 2? Check this thread again tomorrow!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Sorry for the late update, I haven't had much spare time lately.

11ov3.jpg

Anyway, some moron challenges me to walk the rope. He will even pay me 5 dinars if I manage to do this. Balancing is a bit tricky at first, but as your skill and your Agility grow it becomes easier. After having to pay me three times, the challenger refuses to let me participate once more. A wise decision.

12it4.jpg

Our next stop is the astrologer's house. He's a bit wacky, but after I answer his questions about my past he agrees to tell me my future. He needs some time to make a horoscope, though, so I need to drop by later.

13bs8.jpg

Let's explore the desert a bit. But first, we need a saurus. And Ali Fakir has one. It's a used saurus, but hey! The guy's full name is Honest Ali Fakir, so he can't be trying to cheat me, right? And just look at those beautiful healthy sauruses he has there! OK, this honest-looking guy wants 50 dinars for a saurus, but after some bargaining he agrees to reduce the price to mere 20 dinars. How nice of him. Cutting his own throat, no doubt. Fine, take the money, I want to be a proud owner of one of these magnificent creatures!
14nx6.jpg

I hate him. The bastard took the money, gave me this crappy saurus and left. Oh well, it's better than nothing. Now let's find the Dervish.

15uv7.jpg

The Dervish is full of useful information, though he can be somewhat cryptic. Let's take a whirl of his beard and bring it to Keapon. 15 dinars. Not bad for a fed-ex quest.

16zz3.jpg

Time to meet Aziza the enchantress! She says that magic is involved in whatever is happening in Rasier. She also tells me more about the Fruit. Once there was a girl who decided to become a Healer. Not many men trust female Healers in these parts, so her decision was kinda unorthodox. One day a man came to her and said that his brother was dying in the desert and needed her help. The man was looking at her in a funny way, but the Healer decided to follow him. Needless to say, the man lied and led her straight to a brigand camp. Not the best place to be a sexy chick. After some time the Healer managed to escape, but the brigands followed her. She asked gods to help her, and a Djinni heard her plead and saved her from the brigands by turning her into a tree. Not sure how this helps. Sure, you won't be gang-banged and everything, but being a tree isn't as cool as it sounds. Anyway, to get the Fruit I need to give the Plant three Gifts: the Gift of Kindness, the Gift of Sacrifice and the Gift of Magic.

There's nothing to do until evening so let's return to the Katta's Tail and sleep a bit. This evening is special: Shema dances.

17pu5.jpg

Time to pay the money changer a visit. As promised, she has a job for me: this night the door to a particular house will be locked, but unbarred. Let's pick the lock.

18ou0.jpg

We're inside. Stealing here is tricky: the owner of this house has 6 sons, and they're all coming late. Every couple of minutes the door swings open and one of them returns. Needless to say, it's a good time to hide. Still, the loot is worthy: 60 dinars hiden in the niche under the carpet and a silver service. Now let's get out of here, return to the inn and sleep until it's dawn.

This day was full of truly exciting things. But they are nothing compared to what happens next...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom