Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's play Quest for Glory!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
What title says. For those of you who don't know what Quest for Glory games are:

1. They are Adventure/RPGs
2. They kick ass
3. You are a barbarian

We'll begin with the first game in the series, Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero. Its VGA remake to be precise, since I'm too much of a graphics whore to play the original without throwing up.

The game begins with character generation. There are 3 classes to choose from: Fighter, Magic User and Thief. Let's pick a Thief for this playthrough.

49540278wf6.jpg

Here we have to allocate 50 character points among different attributes and skills and choose a suitably heroic name for the future Hero of Spielburg. Jack Bauer will do.

32217630ry6.jpg

Everything is an order, so let's press the start button. The game begins at the gates of the town of Spielburg, where the sheriff greets the Hero and tells him that all kind of crap has been happening lately: the Baron's children mysteriously disappeared, the local brigands led by a cunning ringleader began to terrorize the town and the valley got isolated from the rest of the world by the late snow. Sounds like a good place to start a career.

10095655ii3.jpg

The sheriff also mentions that all kind of details can be gotten at the Adventurer's Guild, so that'll be our first stop.

78003892re5.jpg

Impressive. First, let's talk to the guildmaster Wolfgang. He gives us some useful information regarding local fauna and recent events. Apparently, the Baron somehow managed to anger the local hag, Baba Yaga, and she cursed the valley. The guildmaster suggests to check out the bulletin board to see if there's any job to do. There is. The Baron offers nice rewards for the ringleader's head and any information about his lost children. The Healer will pay for her lost ring and potion ingridients. So much to do. Let's sign our name into the logbook and off we go! Adventure awaits!

86115520no6.jpg

Let's visit the Healer and try to find her ring.

34616965rc4.jpg

The Healer promises to pay me for a number of rare ingridients, including troll's beard and cheetaur's claws. She also mentions that her pet pterosaur seems to be courting the one living outside the hut. This gives me an idea... Let's walk outside and try to climb the tree. After some trying and failing I finally manage to succesfully climb the damn thing. Now to reach the nest.

87045136bp3.jpg

Making an agility check...

Bingo! The ring is in the nest! But the sixth feeling and previous playthroughs tell me that I can make more money by fencing the ring than by returning it to the original owner, so I'll hold onto it for a while.

Now let's check the character screen. Not bad. Not bad at all.
66982763wf9.jpg

Anyway, it's getting late in Russia, so if you want to now what happens next you should check this thread again in a couple of hours. And what exciting things there are left to do! Burglarizing houses, meeting eccentric wizards, fighting ogres and breaking spells! Stay tuned!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Massive failure. You should have taken Magic as a skill at the beginning so you can do the Magic University thing in QfG 2. :colbert: :)

Cassidy

Arcane
Adventure/RPG hybrid? Well, here is something that really has potential nowadays and completely underexplored.

*Edit: for a Thief, I would rather "Pete Hines" :D

Mikser

Educated
I find that the combat is painfully unresponsive at 3000 cycles - and it's nigh impossible to find an ideal speed, as Sierra games are notorious for timer problems and poor programming practices. Also, the EGA version ("Hero's Quest") is much better. And, as Jasede says, a hybrid thief/mage is the best character.

Still, these are great games, and it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Edit: Also, since this is a VGA game, it might be better to run it in full screen with one of the scalers (normal2x?) and use .GIF compression.

Section8

Cipher
Massive failure. You should have taken Magic as a skill at the beginning so you can do the Magic University thing in QfG 2. :colbert:

Au contraire. The crazy old wizard Erasmus later went on to form the shit Finnish band The Rasmus. Nobody should go near his university.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I want to see Lestat become a paladin in QfG 2. A paladin in QfG 3 with thief skills = truly epic lulz. And you can only become one as a fighter in QfG 3. :|

Edit: and you better do QfG V too.

Inziladun

Magister
Cassidy said:
Adventure/RPG hybrid? Well, here is something that really has potential nowadays and completely underexplored.

I thought those were what JRPGs are nowadays. As long as you associate the RPG bit as much as you associate it in an Action-RPG.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Nah, ever seen jRPGs with puzzles? I am so excited! I know this game in and out, mister Lestat, so you better be perfect. <3

Inziladun

Magister
Final Fantasy 10(and a couple other in the series), Chrono Trigger, Golden Sun 1 and 2, Wild Arms, Dragon Quest series, all of the Tales of (blank) series, pretty much every jRPG for the SNES, really. That's as far as my experience goes because I havn't really played many others.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
this game was cool when i first tried it out....i even replayed to see how different each class plays, but honestly, don't pick fighter, he's boring.

AND DON'T ORDER DRAGON'S BREATH! :lol:

Texas Red

Whiner
Win thread. I want to know what happens next.

I am impressed with the graphics and the game itself. Is this abandonware or what you call it?

RK47

Patron
Yep it is. It's a remake by sierra of their old text parser to cursor interface.
One of the best conversion I might add.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
About them timer issues: I'm using the fan version of scripts, so everything should be OK. And if those meticulous fans did manage to miss something, I have a wonderful program called Turbo that slows down CPU.

80610865so3.jpg

Our next stop is the Baron's castle. The gatekeeper says that yet another person is missing: Yorick the court jaster left his master and will not return unless he finds Elsa. How romantic. There is also some job to do: cleaning stables, which is apparently good for you health. I accept, since I need to pass some time untill the sunset anyway.

10gd7.jpg

11sp1.jpg

Looks like cleaning stables is good for your intelligence as well. Who would guess? Anyway, the sun is setting, so it would be a good time to return to Spielburg and try to find the Thieves Guild. Let's check a back alley.

12wa8.jpg

What a stroke of luck! A beggar, the best source of information in the known universe! His name is Sam, his dream is to move to Silmaria, and he warns Jack not to walk the streets at night and not to drink the Dragon's Breath at the tavern. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to know anything about the local thieves, so it's time to check the second best source of information in the known universe: the aforementioned tavern.

13mx6.jpg

The barman claims to know nothing about the Guild, but he also calls his tavern a reputable establishment, so he's clearly lying. Crusher, the goon guarding the trapdoor, on the other hand livens up and asks the password. Antwerp? Nope, the password was changed for the VGA version. Lori and Cori foresaw everything. Before leaving the "reputable establishment" let's also read the note lying on the floor. Interesting... Looks line one of the thieves spies for the brigands.

14wq2.jpg

There's something shiny lying on the ground. A coin?

15sx5.jpg

I can't believe I fell for this trick! On the brighter side, I did find the thieves I've been looking for. Now I should make the secret sign that only thieves know, and voila! My colleague gives me the password. "Schwertfisch"? I should've guessed: it's always "swordfish". It would be a good idea to actually steal something before visiting the Thieves Guild HQ, so let's find a suitably unguarded-looking house...

16tn7.jpg

...pick the lock...

17zl9.jpg

...and we're inside! So little time, so much to steal! After quick search Jack finds:

1. A string of pearls in the knitting bag
2. 3 silver coins in the coach cracks
3. 20 silvers in the purse
4. 1 silver in a desk drawer
5. 2 silver candlesticks

Not bad. Now back to the tavern! After hearing the correct password Crusher without hesitation opens the trapdoor. Behold...

18fr2.jpg

...the Thieves Guild! The Guild membership costs 25 silvers. Small price for the ability to fence various misplaced items I happen to stumble upon on my journey. Funny thing: I can't fence the ring. Also, the fence advices me to return it to the Healer before she gets mad... :) Anyway, I do manage to make 600 silvers from the candlesticks and the string of pearls. 100 of them are immediately spent on an ACME Thief's Toolkit. It was a busy day (and night), so let's relax a bit by playing darts (daggers, to be precise) with the Chief.

19nn0.jpg

Yeah, it's a mini-game, you can make some money and, what's more imortant, improve your throwing skills by playing it.

20me7.jpg

That's all for now. In the next episode we will meet a frost giant, a talking skull and Baba Yaga herself!

RK47

Patron
oh hell yeah i abused the fuck out of the throwing game. I'd say its time u visit the wilderness.

Zomg

Arbiter
Is QFG 5 any good? I recall I never actually got it, even though I had a fairly good opinion of QFG 4.

abstract

Scholar
Some of your screens don't work for me, Lestat. Other than that, good thread. I've only ever played QFG3, and aside from having furries in it, it was an interesting game. I might try it again sometime.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You should see Katta's dance in QfG 2, abstract. But I've been spoiling too much already.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
As RK47 said, it's to visit the wilderness.

21vm0.jpg

To the east of the town gate there is a fox caught n a trap. A talking fox. Let's do a good deed and release the poor creature. In reward the fox provides us with useful information: Elsa somehow has been enchanted by Baba Yaga, and only the Dryad knows how to break it. It also mentions that sometimes being polite to rude people pays off. Let's explore the valley a bit.

22ta5.jpg

To the north-east lives Brauggi the frost giant. Brauggi has an offer: he will give Jack a priceless glowing gem in exchange for a quantity of food enough fill up his fists. There is a centaur chick selling fruits in Spielburg, so let's visit her and buy some. How many apples does it take to fill up giant's fists? The right answer is 50. Brauggi keeps his word and rewards Jack with the gem.

23rp4.jpg

Deep in the forest Jack stumbles upon a beautiful stag and startles it with his presence. The stags flees to the west and by following him we find the Dryad's grove.

24wa5.jpg

The Dryad will help us only in exchange for the seed from the Spore Spitting Spirea, whatever this thing is.

25wb4.jpg

After some crawling around the forest I finally manage to find some weird-looking plants that perfectly match the description. The seed I'm looking for is being thrown from one plant to another. OK, let's climb the rock and catch it. The rock is hard to climb, but that's Jack Bauer we're talking about, so in time the cliff yields. From this position the seed is pretty easy to catch. Back to the Dryad. She tells us that in order to defeat the curse Jack needs:

-Flowers from Erana's Peace
-Green Fur
-Fairy Dust
-Magic Acorn
-Flying Water

All these ingredients must be brought to the Healer who will make a potion that can break the enchantment. The Dryad is kind enough to provide Jack with the acorn, but he'll have to look for the rest.

26lj3.jpg

Green Fur is relatively easy to find: bizzare creatures called Meeps live to the north from the groove, and one of them agrees to give a flock of his fur for free.

27vs0.jpg

Know thy enemy. Led by this wisdom I decide to pay Baba Yaga a visit. Nice hut she's got there. Anyway, a talking skull will only let me in if I bring him something that can serve him as eyes. Like the gem the giant gave me.

28ed6.jpg

The best joke ever.

29hi1.jpg

At first, Baba Yaga turns Jack into a frog and decides to eat him, but then she changes her mind and puts a nasty spell on him instead: he will day unless he brings her a mandrake root until the next morning.

Will Jack Bauer break this curse? We'll find it out in the next episode...

Nightjed

Liturgist
Jasede said:
Massive failure. You should have taken Magic as a skill at the beginning so you can do the Magic University thing in QfG 2. :colbert: :)

I had a problem with qfg1vga --> qfg2 characters when i added a new skill, after porting the character it would revert to a fighter in qfg2 (it happened with a thief with magic) so consider that before placing your points

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom