Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends

Monocause

Arcane
ToC:

Welcome to RoN:RoL! Rise of Legends is a sequel to the outstanding AoE reminiscent RTS "Rise of Nations". However, while the first RoN kept to the standard historical formula, the sequel was different altogether. Developers took a number of risky gambits with this one, and as a result we got what in my opinion was an overlooked gem on one hand and on overly ambitious flop on the other. It is difficult to say what made the game fail so much as it is definitely more interesting than the majority of RTS games released to date; I think I'd blame the lack of proper advertising and technical issues (like people unable to patch the game due to some issues with the autopatcher and, thus, unable to use multiplayer).

I'll start with a brief background of the three races present in the game, but first there's the painful process of getting the game patched (and you really want to patch it). The patching servers are completely dead and there's a limited supply of patch files floating on the net; luckily for you I went through all that pain so that you don't have to.

1. Get a copy of the game, legit or yarr'd.
2. For the Pollacks who bought/yarr'd the Polish version - just go to http://www.gram.pl/pomoc_problem.asp?g=446&p=3200 and download the patches. Problem solved. I don't like Polish localisation much however so let's continue with our tutorial.
3. You need to torrent the game not once, but twice :D There's two copies of the game on TPB and you need to download them both. One contains the precious patch file but has broken installation - so you need to install the game from one distro and patch it via the file from the other. If you have a legit version just get the torrent ending with ".7z".
Alternately, if you tell me where can I upload a 500 mb file I can do it so you don't have to get the 7z torrent. All you need from it is the patch.
4. Think this is over? Fuck you, this is FAR from over! The patcher doesn't recognise the vanilla app. What you need to do is go to gamecopyworld and download a fixed exe "Rise of Nations 2 v1.0 [ENGLISH] Fixed EXE". Copy that to your game dir and patch.
5. Voila!
Now, let's go over the races.​
602694-unit_clockworkspider3.jpg
The Vinci are your steampunk humans. How awesome is that? They've got musketeers, clockwork machinery, pollution-heavy industry and a fucking huge boring machine that works as a special power, creating a borehole at the point you choose, dealing massive damage to whatever's in the radius. They also steamroll everything late-game while being crap early-game. The main protagonist of the game's campaign, Giacomo, is a Vinci guy, and likes to invent shit to throw it in the face of the opponents. RoL features summonable heroes as super-units (you get to upgrade them over the course of the campaign or your MP game, a la WC 3 but less balanced and more interesting) and Giacomo is one of the best. One problem of Giacomo is that his VA is absolutely fucking annoying and sounds like a total douche.​
You can see some Vinci gameplay (mercifully without any live commentary) HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkpLkReGiys&feature=relmfu . You can also read more about the Vinci and their different units here: http://riseoflegends.com/worlds/vinci_nation.htm
alin_concept_01.jpg

The Alin are a desert magic-loving race. They've got crystal soldiers, dragons, fireballs, huge scorpions, flying stuff, wacky stuff, whatever. Fun to play, powerful heroes. Haven't played much MP but from what I gathered they're strongest early-mid game. Their special power summons units at a designated place, and that's the name of the game for the Alin - they're rather unpredictable. While the Vinci and the Cuotl get stronger in a predictable way over the course of a game, the Alin can seem extremely weak and get really powerful in a matter of a minute because of a hero summon/national power.
Read more here: http://riseoflegends.com/worlds/Alin_Nation.htm
602568-hero_czin4.jpg

The Cuotl are the weirdest of the bunch. The backstory behind them is that there once was a mezoamerican-like bunch of tribals living in a jungle. One day a spaceship crashed straight into their boring tribal reality; three creatures equipped with extremely high-tech emerged from the crash and installed themselves as gods; the Cuotl are thus (due to the combination of a tribal identity and alien high tech) the Protoss of the RoL game. Read more here: http://riseoflegends.com/worlds/Cuotl_nation.htm
An important point is that all the three races are much more unique than what you see in standard fare RTS games. Each of them requires a seriously different playstyle, with the Cuotl being the most extreme of the bunch. I read that during the time RoL was still alive there were very few Cuotl players but when they did play them, they rocked.​
RoL really was an ambitious game and, most importantly, it's really fun and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll start with the LP in a matter of a week or so, perhaps earlier, if a couple of people respond with interest. The campaign is entertaining to play, has some decision making Codexers can participate in and is divided into three parts during which you play different races.​

Monocause

Arcane
Good, very good, excellent...

Some folks may get the game but abandon the patching because 1.0 works. This is a bad idea. The patch notes here will tell you why. The game was playable at release but balance was completely broken.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sure, sounds pretty interesting. Remember playing the demo for this waaaaay back. Don't remember much about it other than me not thinking it was very good for some reason or another.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
My curiosity is piqued too for what its worth.

I do remember this game from previews and remember being excited for it as I did like rise of nations, but then I completely stopped hearing about the game, never even knew it came out and had completely forgotten about this game until I saw thread title.

lightbane

Arcane
Rise of Legends??? :love: Absolutely awesome, too bad it was forgotten.

Kind of off-topic, but is Universe at War any good? It's another RTS that completely flopped.

Cassidy

Arcane
Still can't believe the same company that did this and Rise of Nations ended doing Kingdom of Amaderp.

newcomer

Learned
Hmm... This game looks interesting...

Besides the .7z torrent, there are 3 other torrents with the name Rise of Nations : Rise of Legends.
Mind telling us which one do you mean by the second file? Thx :D

EDIT: Got the files. Thx Azira

I've contemplated playing this game many times over the years, but there always came up something else I'd rather play. Looking forward to this LP.

Kind of off-topic, but is Universe at War any good?
I'm inclined to say 'no'. It had some interesting tricks like a faction using huge walkers as mobile bases/steamrollers, converting underfoot human population into zombie-like uncontrollable friendly troops (inconsequentially weak), another faction having slightly different abilities in togglable 'Day/Night Mode' or a third one using buildable cloaked network to quickly teleport along its lines, but the actual gameplay consisted of your standard-fare, routine units pew-pewing each other. Plus, the performance was abysmal, at the time. Don't recommend playing the SP campaign, either, as the story is idiotic beyond measure.
Still, the game's gimmicks stand out from most RTSs, so can't say if you'll get bored with it as much and as quickly as I. Definitely 'full demo' it first, instead of blind-buying, if you decide to try.

Tigranes

Arcane
Liked Rise of Nations, never played this, so will be following with great interest. Gogo!

newcomer

Learned
Oh great, no seeders :(
How am I supposed to get this game....

No seeds from the links I provided? That's odd. I see plenty of seeds. o_O

Now I suspect there's something fishy with my connection... I've also failed to download other torrents in the past.
Maybe I'll try connecting from other place...

EDIT: Okay, it works in another place... I hope this won't take long time...

Monocause

Arcane
I'll be back on saturday/sunday probs so that's when the LP's gonna start. Great to see that the game gets that much attention!

newcomer

Learned
Is it just me, or is it too easy to dominate as cuotl?
I've played 2 games (Quick battle 8 ppl FFA random map) & in both of them, I can control half of the map in the first 30 minutes, and only after this I begin to see serious defense effort from the enemy...

Maybe I'll try to increase the AI difficulty?

NOTE: this is my first 2 games :P, haven't even tried Vinci & Alin

dextermorgan

Arcane
Increase difficulty. IIRC, in the original Rise of Nations a town/fort rush to establish control areas and hamper enemy expansion made for an easy win, with easier AI settings. I think they tend to expand more aggressively and hamper you if they're smarter.

Gauge me interested.

newcomer

Learned
Increase difficulty. IIRC, in the original Rise of Nations a town/fort rush to establish control areas and hamper enemy expansion made for an easy win, with easier AI settings. I think they tend to expand more aggressively and hamper you if they're smarter.

Gauge me interested.

You're right, the AI on tough is much tougher... I see that they begin to trash me due to my lack of the metal which starts with T...
On top of that they have good strategy by harassing my unguarded mine, smart indeed.
Now what strategy should I use :?

dextermorgan

Arcane
Eh, I don't quite recall... I think in RON I used to have an early standing army and plugged choke points with fortifications, and made the AI fight me there.

newcomer

Learned
Maybe that's the old RON..
In this RON I don't see any options to build city, so I assumed that I have to either subjugate other cities (there exist neutral cities) or buy the neutral ones with money (for my race I have to buy them with the metal though....), problem is that capturing enemy cities is quite hard without a huge army, and the AI loves to launch harassment with their flying units to my miners (miners cost metals also!) AT THE TIME WHEN I LAUNCH AN INVASION TO OTHER AI; note that army costs a lot of metal & turrets are more costly & need to be clustered together to be effective. On top of that their price increments. So in the long run I ran out of metal fast & cannot churn out army as fast as them.

Right now I'm thinking of dedicating a small army for air patrol in vulnerable sites, let's see how it works...

dextermorgan

Arcane
Yeah it's been quite a while since I played and it's probable that I'm mistaking some game features that were in a different game of this type. I am pretty sure that territory control is the name of the game, at least in the old one, since attrition/healing effects have a major impact once upgraded - basically what you want to do is look at the map when you start, pick out the cities you want / think you can grab early, find choke points around them and put some forts in the way asap. Forts extend your borders so you get more territory that heals your troops / damages enemy and are quite hardy against everything but siege units.

newcomer

Learned
Well, one race doesn't have attrition, so I think it doesn't really apply to all races, but territory control is very important.

I've tried a game with Alin with slightly more difficult, using the strategy to hole up with huge army patrols & push resource gathering & tech to the max before any serious expansion effort (of course I tried to take as many neutral areas as possible). I should say that in this version of RoN, the end-game becomes a contest of churning out & mobilizing troops non-stop & obviously trying to sabotage the enemy's resource gathering efforts to reduce their troop-churning capabilities. It's fun but a little tiring due to the micromanagement & quick response demanded

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom