Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Scroll of Taiwu, Again

Goliathus

Literate
I am a Chinese on a quest to spread the love of Chinese games throughout the world. My quest led me to this board so...let's play Scrolls of Taiwu, again! Props to benzine for introducing the game to this forum and starting the first LP.

[Disclaimer: Some of the Chinese words are different from the screenshots. That's because I am inputting the character in Trad. Chinese whereas the game runs in Simp. Chinese, but it's not like many gives a f*** about foreign alien characters.]

What is Scroll of Taiwu?

Scroll of Taiwu is a sandbox wuxia(with a bit of xianxia or xuanhuan[mythical] elements) RPG that mixes a lot of wacky ideas into a pot of gold. In this sandbox open world RPG, you are the chosen one, the Taiwu, who is on a quest to defeat the everlasting threat of Xiangshu.

You might have a lot of questions like wtf is Taiwu and wtf is Xiangshu? Worry not, some of the lore will be explained as we go through the intro portion of the game. Do note that this game is still in EA and is merely on v0.2, a lot of the story and lore are not established yet as the devs are still focusing on mechanics at the moment.

As I am Chinese, I will be using the original Chinese version instead of the translation mod. The UI also makes it harder for English due to the lack of word space on some part of it. Hence, I believe running the Chinese version is better. I will be translating and explaining the game as we go, so fear not. Also, my translation is more freestyle and on-the-go. I don't think I have to waste time to think and find the most suitable word for everything as a proper official translation will be there eventually. So I didn't.

So, let's start...by creating a character! The game is pretty deep on the math side and a true munchkin can certainly enjoy minmaxing the crap out of the character. But I am not a munchkin, I am a storyteller, who plays for the experience and story more than the taste of victory, so don't worry about the mechanical details, just pick the things you like and let's go from there!

IhEyHjQ.png

As we can see, there are five main categories. On the first one, as shown in the SS above, we shall decide on the name and life philosophy of our character. For name, I am a serious RPer and I would prefer a proper name instead of some wacky, supposed-to-be-funny name. We can randomize it for ease of access, or just choose our preferred Chinese surname, or you all can suggest a theme for our name and I will find a name suitable to the theme. For instance, you can say I want a name that sounds bad ass but also gentlemanly, then I would find a more "scholar-ish" surname and name. Maybe you want "wind" in the name, we can do it. Unisexual name, no problem. Just suggesting anything. But as this is a game that lasts for a lot of generations, the name is really not super important. We can random it and move on or whatever.

Philosophy though, is important, as it affects how the character does thing, what action he prefers and such. A character is happy if we perform an action suitable to his alignment and I am a serious RPer so I am sticking to the alignment like a D&D paladin, choose wisely. We have 5 choices:

剛正(Upright; Honorable; Rightousness; Conscientious): The Lawful Good paladin type. Rough translation of the Chinese description:
A Xia(martial warrior) of rightousness, the world is firmly black and white(to you).
Evil shall be perishly thoroughly, morally right shall be supported and nourished. A world might be everchanging, but there is only one path to righteousness!

仁善(Benevolence; Kindness; Good-hearted): Closer to True Good or Chaotic Good. Translation:
The action of a person of kindness and benevolence are pure and above.
Willing to make a sacrifice to help out people in danger, willing to forget about one self to help thje world. Able to repay hate with kindness, you shines like the brightest gold and jade.

中庸(Neutrality; Moderation; the word can also be used in negative way to insult people who are strictly average and have achieved nothing): Closer to True Neutral. Translation:
A man of neutrality do no extra action, he takes the world without any bias.
Anything shall be according to nature, and keeping everything on the middle is the priority. When thy heart is without justice and evil, shall thy be able to open the brightest path of all?

叛逆(Rebellious): Chaotic, and leaning toward the evil side but not a must. You just don't give a f*** about social protocol and such. Translation:
A world who live with rebellious in his heart, thou shalt flip the script of the black and white. "Supposed to smile" yet you don't (smile); "Supposed to be happy" yet you don't (be happy); "Supposed to be generous" yet you don't (be); "You heard of/acknowledged/saw evil" but you don't change (your evil way); "You did something good" but you aren't happy.

唯我(literally "Only Me";Selfish): Cao Cao once said "I would betray the entire world, but not let the entire world(as in literally anyone) betrays me". Is this evil? Or just brutally honesty to selfishness? Either way, the game portrays this alignment in an extremely evil way so yeah, this is the evil alignment by game's mechanics even though we can argue about the philosophy all day long. Translation:
I live for myself in this world, I shall hurt the weak, kill those different from me, ally with the evildoers and bully the kind and good-hearted.
There shall be no justice, emotion and humanity on my way to my goal.

My previous run through is Rebellious, so I would prefer the other 4, but not so much as to outright ban Rebellious. Vote with your heart.

DVhJWuV.png

On the second part, we will decide our character's look, gender, age and time of birth. Look has no bearing on the numbers, and I usually just roll until I find a look I like. If you all prefer to be more specific, then give me a "theme"(handsome, ugly, monster-like" and I will see if I can replicate that theme. If you prefer specific colors on the clothings, hairs and whatever, we can do that too.

For gender, there are male and female and also you can be female-looking male and male-looking female(Cheers for the rainbow army!). You can do some funny stuff like be heavily involved a female-oriented sect as a female-looking male and then sleep around with all the girls as if this is an eroge game. But I personally prefer a more "typical" playthrough with a male-loomking male or a female-looking female.

Age I suggest starting young, as it would give us more time to mess around with our created character(Like really, why waste so much time to create if we will have him die so quickly?) The starting age is 16-30. Standard dying age of the Taiwuverse is 40 and above. Many don't live to 45. It's a surprise that people in a wuxia world would live for so few years but it is what it is. Oh, if we want a moustache on the (male) character, we have to start at 20. So let's vote on either 16 or 20.

Season of birth will have +/- on some of the character's stats. I did not do hardcore research to see all the +/- of every possible option. So I say screw all of that and let's just vote or random it. There are 24 "seasons" so let's do "First Half" or "Second Half" and then months. For example, you can vote for First Half of January. Winter is January to March in Taiwuverse. You want a child of autumn, then vote between July to September.

Q2tqrx9.png

Like every good RPGs out there, you start with a plethora of options and each of them gives you bonus of some kind. As you can see on the SS, the lower options are in red because we have not accumulate enough points in that category. We have 10 points to spend the amount of dots are the amount of points we need to invest in that category before those options are unlocked. To go deep down a single category, we will have to invest a lot of points in it. So, we can be a jack of all trades and go all three, or we can go hard into 1 and a bit on 2, or an average for 2 of them and so on. I will list every option below:

[First, I apologize for the translation on this part. This game's Chinese is closer to the ancient form of it, so it's hard even for a nature Chinese speaker. Kind of like Shakespherean English or Old English. A lot of the terms used here aren't used in daily life]

TX: tier X, X is the amount of points invested in the branch for this skill to be unlockable.
PX: point X, X is how many points needed to unlock said bonus.

Life Experience Branch
T0 P1 锋从磨砺(Sharpness of Blade came from long time of crafting): You often wrestled with the tiger and bear living in the valley, thus you have incredible arm strength.
Effect: Strength ++

T0 P1 迅由危亡(Speed in the crucial moment of danger and death): You are often involved in dangerous situation and that trained your awareness.
Effect: Agility ++

T1 P1 香自苦寒(Sweetness came from the hard, tough life): As you have been living the tough life for very long, you have great composure.
Effect: Composure ++

T1 P1 純憑自然(Pureness of nature): You live a druid-ish life around nature, pure and simple, and that has strength your body.
Effect: Body ++

T2 P1 形因境變(Adapt the environment): You have been to the weirder parts of the valley a lot to learn and play, and your experience has improved your vigor.
Effect: Vigor ++

T2 P1 意随心寂(Follow your heart through solitude): Your lonely life has given your a lot of time to think and stimulate your brain, and that has made your smarter and an excellent learner.
Effect: Comprehension ++

T3 P2 谷中密友(Secret friend in the valley): You have a childhood friend(of opposite sex, wooooooo~~~) who no one elses know, but very close to you.[Childhood sweetheart is a very common trope in Asian story]
Effect: Childhood Sweetheart +1

T3 P2 梦境中人(Man in the dream): You have a weird aura of charisma, it seems like everyone has dreamed about you at some point, and what you look like in real life is no big deal when people are charmed to you in the mysterious way.
Effect: +600 Charmisma on your gene(no effect on current character but your children's charisma will be off the roof)[Changed recently, if you are curious about the differnt effect in case you had followed other Taiwu LP]

T5 P3 白額靈蛇(Snake with white head): You had spent a day with a mysterious, gigantic white head snake in the valley(for context, it is probably one of the godlike entity or spirit who blessed your character)
Effect: Pure Qi +1[Pure Qi is super hard to get and Pure Qi advantage gives you great bonus against your opponent as you just have the internal qi advantage, important in wuxia setting)

T5 P3 服芝食玉(Eater of Ganoderma and Jade): Growing up, you have consumed a lot of ganoderma and spiritual jade. These godly medicine makes you super healthy and strong.
Effect: No negative traits upon creation

Wealth Branch
T0 P1 东搜西罗(Search the East and take from the West): You have accumulate and horde a plethora of resource in your storage.
Effect: Starting Resource ++

T0 P1 十枚碎金(Ten pieces of tiny gold): You have ten pieces of tiny gold that you mixed with stone and played with in your childhood
Effect: Starting Money ++

T1 P1 褓衣似锦(Swaddle of Silk): The swaddle of your infacthood is a blood-stained silky cloth. Perhaps this is the memento of your biological parents.
Effect: Grade 5 Clothes +1

T1 P1 桂酒椒浆(Wine of Chinese cinnamon): You have found a few jars of old wine at the mountain behind your home
Effect: Wines of Grade 4-6 ++

T2 T1 驰马试剑(Testing your blade on top of a running horse): You have a horse who has been with your since your childhood
Effect: Grade 5 Horse +1

T2 P1 泥封古罐(Mud-sealed ancient tin): You have an old-ass cricket pot.
Effect: Old-Ass Grade 4 cricket pot +1

T3 P2 怪窟诡物(Weird stuffs from strange cave): You have found some weird bugs and grasses from a mysterious, strange cave.
Effect: Weird and strange Grade 4 poison materials ++

T3 P2 灰炉遗药(Leftover medicine from the stove): You have found some leftover pills in an abandoned furnace.
Effect: Grade 4 pills ++

T5 P3 家传宝物(Family treasure): You possess a treasure passed down generation to generation in your family
Effect: Random Grade 1 item +1

T5 P3 盛世集录(Memory of the peak of prosperity): You heard about the prosperity of the world in the past, and those stories still have a place in your heart these days
Effect: Default space in village +10(Good for going hardcore Stardew Valley early on, which I don't think is necessary for many walkthrough and play style, definitely not worth being a T5)

Artistry Branch
T0 P1 琴棋书画(Piano, chess, book[includes calligraphy, poem writing and such] and painting[or in short, the four mainstream art form of ancient China]): You are a fan of the various art form, and you are a natural-born artist.
Effect: Musicianship ++, Chess ++, Poetry ++, Painting ++

T0 P1 一任自然(Master of nature): You see through nature, as if all are just one path to greatness.
Effect: Buddhism ++, Daoism ++, Apparaisal ++, Cooking ++

T1 P1 医相星卜(Healing, look(as in fortune telling from your look), star and divination): You are a master of the divine art and the five ways of yin and yang.
Effect: Medicine ++, Toxicology ++, Maths ++, Knowledge ++

T1 P1 天工开物(Crafted by the work of nature): You are a creator, who turned raw materials into tools.
Effect: Blacksmithing ++, Carpentry ++, Gemsmithing ++, Weaving ++

T2 P1 璞玉韬光(A jade without the smithering): You are a jade that has not been processed, raw but with tremendous potential
Effect: Skill breakthrough success rate ++

T2 P1 神锋敛彩(A colored, sharp blade): Like a sharp blade in the hilt, you awaits your unsheating moment with impatient dragon's roars
Effect: Martial art breakthrough success rate ++

T3 P2 天材地宝(Materials and treasure from the sky and Earth): A gift from the nature, you have found some valuable materials deep inside the valley
Effect: Various kind of Grade 3 materials ++

T3 P2 先利其器(Sharpen your tools): To do things well, you must first sharpen your tools. You have spent a few years fixing the various abandoned tools in the valley.
Effect: Various Grade 3-4 crafting tools and raw materials ++

T5 P3 天人造化(A blessing from Heaven): The God gives you two scoops and you are a natural-born martial artist
Effect: Internal Art ++, Qin Gong ++, Stunts ++

T5 P3 古冢遗刻(Words from the ancient graves): You have found some written words on what seems to be an ancient relic, an abandoned landmark perhaps, and you copied those words into a manual book.
Effect: Random grade 3 martial art of your starting location +1

I think it's hard for us to land on a specific sets of bonus. So let's vote on the type of character we want. Is he a wealthy mofo? An artist? A born-to-be martial artist?

f1WetQf.png

As if the current post isn't long enough, we have the toughest part of the character selection -- picking the starting place and most important of all, our first sect! Due to travel time, it is unwise to go to a sect far away in the beginning so most players will go to the closest sect at the same region as you start in. But before we go to sect, I would also point out that starting location also affects travel time to other region, so a central position is great for a minmaxer, which I am not. So f*** that, we will drop our character on any place we want.

There are 15 sects in this game, distributed over the 3 alignments(good, neutral, bad) and 5 philosophies. There are 5 elements in this game and each elements have 3 sects, balanced between each alignments.

Before we get to sects, let's get some basic and advanced concepts done so we can properly plan out our character:

金 - 金剛 = Gold/Metal (Yellow)
木 - 紫霞 = Wood (Purple)
水 - 玄陰 = Water (Blue)
火 - 純陽 = Fire (Red)
土 - 歸元 = Earth (Green)

image005.jpg

Let's break it down based on the picture. Check out the hand-drawn starry graph with the correct colors. The blue line circling on the outsides are supporting element. So water supports wood and wood supports fire. The red arrows on the inside are the anti-elements. So water is anti-fire and fire is anti-gold.

We then look on the graph below that singles out all the relationship of the wood element. Water supports wood and wood suports fire, so these are the alliance and the elements you should consider if you are going multi-elements. Gold kills Wood and Wood kills Earth, so you really don't want to pair them up together.

As Gold kills Wood, any Wood internal point you have over the Gold internal point you have are x2. So, if you have 10 Wood internal point and 5 Gold internal point, your would have 5 + (5*2) = 15 Wood internal points. The core idea is you want to abandon and not train anything related to the element who kill yours.

As Wood kills Earth, if your primary internal is Wood(as in Wood is the one you have the most internal point among all 5), all your Earth martial art has their effectiveness reduced by XX%, depending on how far is the gap between the two I belive. Also, when you use Earth skills as a primary Wood martial artist, you will inflict internal damage on yourself. The core idea is that you also want to abandon and not training anything related to the element your primary element kills, and this is arguably worst than the relation above.

f1Q5-k85fKoT1kSen-7u.png

This is an example of Gold killing the Fire. As you can see, the character is primary Fire, having 1271 fire internal point, but his high Gold point of 1101 is triggering the bad relation. It reads "Fire·Exhausting of Fire Bring Death", all Fire skill effectiveness are reduced by 20%. You don't want that.

Now, let's explain the friendly relations.

heQ5-e98vK2sT3cSzk-k0.jpg

heQ5-20gnK2rT3cSzk-k0.jpg

This is when the assisting element of yours(second high) is a friendly element of your main and is between 40% - 80% of your main element's total point. In this case, they are merely supporting your main elements. As you can see, the primary bonuses are the same but they do provide different sub-bonus.

heQ5-asowK2sT3cSzk-k0.jpg

This is when your secondary element is 80%+ close to your primary element. In this case, the skills of both elements both get bonus and two other elements are decreased.

f1Q5-6vleKvT1kSfs-97.png

Then, we have the ultimate hybrid of five elements; yes, you can go Avatar in this game. 混元 represents the true master of all and it requires all your element points to be within 10% of each. For this, you will get 10% boost on all skills, but as you can learn all the martial arts of all kinds, you have less raw bonus(10% vs 20% for two-three colors or 30% if you go pure mono) but all the versatility in your arsenal. You are like the card game P2W dude who bought every cards in the game and can make any deck you want. The possibility is endless. Also, for a more advanced setup, there are internal arts that can convert X element points into Y. So you can use those and manipulate into Pure 1 Element for a fight if you want, like you can go Pure Water against a Fire dude, then Pure Gold against a Wood dude. Again, flexibility.

Knowing all these, we have these viable options:

Mono-Element: You go hard on one, boring but effective with the highest bonus.
Duo-Element: You pick one main and another support element for increased versatility.
Triple-Element: You pick one main and the two support elements, and switch things up. Harder to control your element points while you play but with more options than duo-element.
All-in-one: The toughest to achieve but the greatest(and most boring? Cuz the end game is the same) of all.

Now that we understand the elements, and I feel like I have written 15 pages of a D&D rulesbook already. Let's move on to the sects! Final-f***ing-ly, I think we will start with alignment and go from there:

Yuanshan (Good Rightousness)
Yuanshan is a sect who prides themselves in maintain the rightousness of wulin. There are two mountains in the clan: in Big Yuan Mountain are daoists who focus on blade skills and in Small Yuan Mountain are buddhists who focus on sword skills. In a perfect harmony of daoism and buddhism, the student of Yuanshan shall perish all evils from wulin!

Element: Earth
Martial art skills: Sword, Blade, Kicks
Support skills: Buddhism, Taoism
Clan Specialty: The Path of Righteousness -- if your philosophy is Rightousness or Kindness, your reading comprehension on Yuanshan arts are increased by 100%; otherwise, decreased by 50%

Valley of Hundred Flowers (Good Kindness)
Known for its medicine skill, this is the wulin doctors who travel the Taiwuverse and save people's life. Respected by everyone out there(except maybe the evil sects).

Element: Water
Martial art skills: Fingering, Archery, Music
Support skills: Medicine, Weavery(if learning archery), Music(if learning Music)
Clan Specialty: Medicine and Martial in One - Same effect as Shaolin(scroll down), except with Medicine books

Shaolin (Good Kindness)
Shaolin is a major good clan of wulin. All 72 Arts of Shaolin are famous around the martial society.

Element: Gold
Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering, Long weaponry

Support skills: Buddhism
Clan Specialty: Martial Way through Buddhism -- Can replace the book knowledge of Shaolin art with the Buddhism book of same grade(so if you studied the G8 Buddhism book to Lv.10[max], you don't have to read any Shaolin book to be Lv.10 in them); your alignment decides whether your art effect is positive, negative or neutral

Emei (Good Kindness)
Among the top 3 good clans of wulin(should be Emei, Shaolin and Wudang), Emei is famous for the mixture of both "hard" and "soft" in their martial arts.

Element: Wood
Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering, Sword, Exotic(in this case, needles and short stabby type of weapon)
Support skill: Buddhism, Daoism(Trivia: Emei used to be Buddhist in old school wuxia books and TV series. They decided to change it to Daoist so the Emei characters(which in some series are the female lead) can look more beautiful than a bald nun on TV)
Clan Specialty: Master through Authenticity - Emei prefers the correct way of training. Effectiveness of battle training +100%, effectiveness of studying authentic* Emei books

Wudang (Good Neutral)
Wudang, the Big 3 of Wulin. Wudang is an internal-focused clan and the home of Taiji.

Element: Fire
Martial art skills: Boxing, Sword, Soft weapon(in this case, a taoist whisk)
Support skill: Daoism
Clan Specialty: The Law of Dao -- Wudang is a Daoism-centric sect. Same effect like Shaolin except with Daoism books.

Xuannv (Neutral Rightousness)
The Xuannv Peak is also called the Peak of Jade Lady. Rumor has it that a goddess descend down the peak and created a godly martial arts. Ladies who train in them will become out-of-the-world beautiful and can one day eventually ascend into godhood. Xuannv students cannot enter marriage!!! Trivia: Many people have observed that Xuannv students have the lowest charisma of all, and the theory is that these clans are just full of ugly Betties all throughout China who no one wanted to marry anyway, and they are training here only because they need the plastic surgery effect from the martial arts.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering(I know it sounds dirty), Music(Yes, you can be the musician duo in Kung Fu Hustle)
Support skills: High body skill requirement, no artistry support skill needed
Clan Specialty: The Face of Goddess -- Xuannv is a clan of woman. Women have +100% effectiveness when training the arts here whereas men get 50% penalty

Ranshan (Neutral Neutral)
Ranshan are a master of "Youxue" and "Chushi". Youxue: Roam the world and study, so you walk the Earth and obtain so much knowledge that you can with only with mouth and not weapon. Chushi: Be out of the world. The human world is merely a phase, and your body a vessel to your mind. One shall master the spirit and not the body. In short, this is the clan equivalent of the Xianxia hermit who cares more about ascending into the Heaven than giving a crap about the human world.

Martial art skills: Fingering, Sword, Exotic(but heavily restricted from the get-go, so we should focus on fingering and sword if we start here)
Support skill: Maths(maths here also include astrology and predicting winds and such from stars and so on, kind of like how Zhuge lian did in the battle of chibi), General Knowledge
Clan Specialty: Words, Words and more words -- the martial art of Ranshan are wordy as all f***s. Learning the arts through studying provides +100% effectiveness whereas learning through battle has -50% effectiveness

Sword Manor (Neutral Neutral)
Sword Manor has the best weaponsmiths of the world. A lot of the godly weapons around the world came from Sword Manor. Well-respected by everyone in the wulin regardless of alignment.

Martial art skills: Sword, Blade, Long weaponry(in this case, staff), archery
Support skill: Blacksmith
Clan Specialty: The Master of Crafting -- Same effect as Shaolin except the bonus is judged by the practiontioner's equipped weapons' grade

Lion Gate (Neutral Rebellious)
A sect of brute force, Lion Gate is not a fan of hardcore internal training. It relies on hard style internal art and brutal external martial arts to dominate the others. Essentially, you are a tanky king kong.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Blade, Long weaponry(spear)
Support skill: Higher body skill requirement, no artistry support skill required
Clan Specialty: Simple in Brutality -- Lion Gate are not a fan of the written words, they prefer to punch every mofo out and learn through actions. Studying rate -50%, battle gain +100%

Kongsang (Neutral Selfish)
Kongsang sect is also known as Kongsang, the King of Medicine sect. Despite being a snowy mountain, there exists an area inside the clan that have all kinds of medicine and toxic plants and animals. Kongsang students are master of medicine and poison; their pills can save your life, but they can also kill you through poison easily at the same time. After all, it's not about medicine or poison, it's about how the user uses its knowledge.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering, Kicks, Hidden weaponry(coated with poison)
Support skill: Medicine, Toxicology
Clan Specialty: From thickness to thinness -- Kongsang martial arts are hard early on and easy later on. The earlier tiers have decreased learning efficiency whereas the latter tiers have increased learning efficiency

Dragon Altar(Evil Righteousness)
Dragon altar are fromed in the Red Island by the East Sea. There are two families(or thematically named "dragon veins") in the clan. The Situ family is known for their stone-crushing blade and the Long family is known for their boxing and palm strike skills. According to rumors, Dragon Altar students train around the volcanoes of the island.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Blade, Hidden weaponry
Support skill: High body skill requirement, no artistry skill requirement
Clan specialty: Easy to learn, hard to master -- the early tiers are fast to learn with increased efficiency yet the latter tiers all have decreased efficiency

Wuxian (Evil Rebellious)
Wuxian sect is formed by the Miao people, known for their mastery in various poison and Chinese voodoo curses(They are like the gypsy of China). Their teaching is extreme: to pay a deed with a deed and an eye for an eye. There is no one in the wulin, no matter good or bad, who don't fear the Wuxian and their poisonous, creepy arts.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering(forbidden, hard to learn), Sword, Soft weaponry(whip)
Support skill: Toxicology
Clan specialty: The Poisonous Soul -- same as Shaolin, except with Toxiology book

Green Gate (Evil Rebellious)
The green gate is described as a place of man and ghost. They recruit the evildoers of wulin and are stealthy in their action. Known for their (ninja-like) daoist sorcery and hidden weapon skill, they can take anyone out from the shadow.

Martial art skills: Fingering, Sword, Hidden weaponry(a plethora of different types)
Clan Specialty: The Path of Inverse -- Toying with their own life(now you know why they are the ghosts), they love inverse training* of their art -- +100% on inverse art training, -50% otherwise

The Cult of Bloody Roar (Evil Selfish)
A cult who treat Xiangshu as their God, the cult is created upon the rumor that Xiangshu is back once again. This is a chaotic evil clan filled with crazy evildoers that not even the Buddha can save. They are the top enemy of the wulin's good and righteous sects.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Fingering, Kicks, Hidden weaponry(forbidden, hard to learn)
Clan Specialty: The Path of Evil -- Same as Yuanshan, except the evil version where you get bonus for being Rebellious or Selfish and penalty for Rightousness and Kindness

Vajra (Evil Selfish)
Your typical evil lama monk from Tibet, Vajra students are master of hard style internal art. Despite their buddhism practice, these evil monks are known for their cold-blooded nature and rapist behaviors. Like the Cult of Bloody Roar, they are the prime enemy of the wulin.

Martial art skills: Boxing, Blade, Exotic(vajra staff)
Clan Specialty: The Way of Vajra -- A male-oriented clan, they have the inverse effect of Xuannv's clan specialty

*There are two type of books in this game: authentic and handwritten. Handwritten are known as the "reverse" book as in it is an incomplete version written and passed around by the thief and betrayers and what not. They are the bootlegged copies that tend to not have the full information. Authentic books are what you will find in the Emei library. For external arts, training it "reversely" merely means that you need lower stats requirement to perform well with those arts, but the maximum efficiency you can achieve in those arts are lower than what you can get from "positive" learning. For an example, the authentic book have all 67 kodakan judo throws, but your bootlegged copy might only have 40 of them. So you only learn 40 of them if you read the whole bootlegged copy and you can certainly do well with 40 throws, but not as great as those who learnt and mastered all 67 throws. For the internal art though, "reverse" training is extremely dangerous. Successful training it "reversely" and using them will provide a different (and usually opposite) of the default, positive effects. But as this is the incorrect way of training, you will get internal damage from using an internal art "reversely". For example, if say an internal art required you to flow your chi from your lungs to your heart and then back to your head. You stick to it or you are supposed to die. This bootlegged copy of yours said "lungs to legs then head", so you trained it wrong, and it caused you internal damage, but surprisingly, it worked. It is really a game-oriented design. In wuxia story, if you train an internal art wrong, you die, and the only survivor of this "inverse" training is Ouyang Feng, from the Condor Heroes duology. While he didn't die, he went crazy and became more like a berserker than a composed martial artist from training it wrong. Neutral means that you are half-half in both authentic books and pirated books, which brings another kind of effect I believe.

Do note that despite the alignment of the sects, there will always be people of different alignment and philosophy within each sects. Shaolin will have some selfish a-holes and there are good fellows in the most evil sects. It's just that the majority of the students will be close to the sect alignment, so you will have an easier time befriending the clan people(and you need to to unlock higher tier martial arts). Also, some good sects will refuse teaching stuff to you if you were evil. Like they don't care if they all die and you can't save the world as the Taiwu, they ain't teaching you jacks***.

Support skills are important as you have to be good in your support skills to increase the potency of your martial arts. There are two type of support skills, your physical attributes(like strength, vigor and so on) and artistry skills(medicine, toxic, fortune telling, and so on). It is ideal that you find a sect that is ideal for your body type, like a muscular guy joining a sect that is more about brute force or tankiness, but body type is hard to change and the attributes aren hard to increased. Thus, artistry skills actually affect more as you can work hard on those to easily increase how good you are with some martial arts.

I think we will stop here and vote on the stuffs first. To summarize, we are voting on:

1. Character name
2. Philosophy
3. Look
4. Gender
5. Age
6. Starting bonuses
7. Location(which indicates the first sect we will learn from)

Vatnik Wumao
1. Dalai Lama
2. Selfish
3. Anything
4. Male
5. Anything
6&7 Anything that supports vajra rapist sect.

Tasteful rape all the way.

Goliathus

Literate
I see that Tibetans are widely known for their rapist behavior. I don't think this game is going to be translated.

To be fair, both the Chinese in Tibetans and Tibetans native have been reported for raping, so I don't think we have it's the Tibetans' fault. It's really just people taking advantage of the chaotic situation there to do immortal things IMO.

As for the wuxia design of "tibetan rapists", it's not really a slam on the whole tibetan or even subtly imply that. Wuxia stories started sort of like superheroes comic in America, but from a more patriotic viewpoint I believe. Early portion of the 20th century aren't the happiest time for China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong(I think HK started going hardcore first, many of the masters started their career writing a panel on the HK local newspaper) and they wanted something to cheer them up. Wuxia stories appears to be one of the way. Stories at the beginning are super "Captain America", so you got your Chinese protagonist against all sort of "invaders", Japansese(which is known as Wokou, the term for Japanese pirates), Joseon(Korean), Mongolian and all sort of other non-Han on the outer area of Mainland China. Tibetan monks are just one of the "invader" archetypes, a contrast of the lawful good Shaolin monks. Most of the time they come to the central China wuxia society for some awesome god-tier manuals or to "borrow" stuff from Shaolin(book or whatever). Some of the are honorable, just they are the invaders so they do what's best for their side. They are not that rapey in some stories either, but they tend to have that trait in the more modern games and such. I think the writers just like the contrast of the bad monks who follow Buddhism but aren't a fan of keeping their body clean.

In Taiwu's defense, the description doesn't really put a high emphasis on the rapist part, but of all the sects, only their description have "淫"(licentious) so I write it like that. Also, rapists are quite common in wuxia, many mainland rapists too, so not really an anti-Tibetans design.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
1. Jiang Zemin
2. Evil Rebellious
3. Anything
4. Woman
5. Anything
6&7 Anything that support Green Gate

Goliathus

Literate
You can use this to fight?

It's "taoist whisk" a.k.a. "horsetail whisk", not kitchen whisk. But a more wuxia answer would be, yes, you can, as long as you are that great. In a wuxia setting, a god tier character can kill with anything. For a true master, weapons are merely an extension of the hand. There's a level known as "草木皆劍"(Grass and Wood are all Swords), so a master of that level can pick up anything and defeat anyone below him easily. In a "higher magic" setting, all the masters can eventually forms weapons with qi, so you have people cutting a car in half with bare hand and so on. Also, with extensive training of the internal art a.k.a. qi gong, dude can be spitting watermelon seed and it would puncture your lung like a legit bullet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And it seems that you people here like to be evil bastards.

kirin

Learned
can you make someone like this

Dongfang Bubai, literally "Invincible East", is a fictional character in the wuxia novel The Smiling, Proud Wanderer by Jin Yong. He is the leader of the Sun Moon Holy Cult (日月神教; Rì Yuè Shén Jiào), an "unorthodox" martial arts sect. In his quest to dominate the wulin (martial artists' community), he castrated himself to fulfil the prerequisite for learning the skills in a martial arts manual known as the Sunflower Manual (葵花寶典; Kuíhuā Bǎodiǎn), and became a formidable martial artist after mastering those skills. His castration and supreme prowess in martial arts make him one of the most memorable characters in Jin Yong's wuxia universe even though he appears in only one chapter of the novel. His name has also become virtually synonymous with homosexuality and LGBT sexual orientations in Chinese popular culture.

Goliathus

Literate
Dongfang Bubai is my favorite wuxia character - and I will take the chance to say go LGBT! - so much so that I self-castration a lot in other JinYongverse wuxia games. While most of the other players are out there marrying all the dream girls of their life, I play the lonely cock-less speed demon. But sadly, no, there are no self-castration in this game nor a Sunflower Manual-like book exists. While Dongfang Bubai is ultra popular, this kind of setup is not a norm in wuxia genre. Only a master like Jin Yong pulled out something like that, and none other has ever attempted that kind of storytelling. It not making it into Taiwu is very logical. The closest you can get is a male-looking female or a female-looking male, but they are not the same thing. There are also no unique, ultra-powerful martial arts like this either. In SoT, all the martial arts are accessible to anyone as long as they can find a way to learn it. There's no ultra secret techs like in many wuxia stories.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can use this to fight?

It's "taoist whisk" a.k.a. "horsetail whisk", not kitchen whisk. But a more wuxia answer would be, yes, you can, as long as you are that great. In a wuxia setting, a god tier character can kill with anything. For a true master, weapons are merely an extension of the hand. There's a level known as "草木皆劍"(Grass and Wood are all Swords), so a master of that level can pick up anything and defeat anyone below him easily. In a "higher magic" setting, all the masters can eventually forms weapons with qi, so you have people cutting a car in half with bare hand and so on. Also, with extensive training of the internal art a.k.a. qi gong, dude can be spitting watermelon seed and it would puncture your lung like a legit bullet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And it seems that you people here like to be evil bastards.

I knew, I should have added a :smug:. But thank you for the details. Also evil characters are more fun.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
1. Character name - Hong Da
2. Philosophy - Selfish
3. Look - Sino-Slayer Chad
4. Gender - 100% Male
5. Age - 20
6. Starting bonuses - Dunno
7. Location - Vajra compound!

Goliathus

Literate
Sorry for missing for too many days. I was busy with other stuffs last week and just not in the mood to write. Here's the vote result:

1. Character name: Dalai Lama OR Jiang Zemin OR Hong Da(maybe I can find a good mix from all three, let me think)
2. Philosophy: Selfish as fuck
3. Look: Sino-Slayer Chad(I am not sure I get Chad perfectly but we are doing a handsome looking man and not a beasty rugged look I am assuming?)
4. Gender: XY chromosome
5. Age: 20 for moustache
6. Starting bonuses: Anything
7. Location: Vajra's region

To continue, let's start with the preview of our voted first sect, Vajra!

rUr8jGm.png

As we can see, Vajra is clearly a hard style focused sect who is weakest in qingong(the footwork of wuxia. I think the most common translation is "lightness skill", I prefer to just let it stays qingong, sort of like how "senpai" is (sort-of) accepted in English now; an example of such skill would be the bamboo climbing in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but we are in a higher-powered world so it's certainly smoother than that, probably closer to Age of Wushu if anyone of you ever play that) and is solid in everything else, with skills going up to the highest tiers in many of them. In this games, all things are sort by 9 tiers/grades, from tier 9 to tier 1. When we first join the sect, we would start with tier 9 skills, the leftest in the pictures and you can clearly see those that have actual pictures in the middle of every bracket. You can also see the 0.0% support rate on the top of the screen. To unlock higher tiers, we have to earn support rate from within the sect, then we get the right to learn the higher tiers of martial skills and also unlock various bonuses as indicated from the bar I am explaining.I will explain this further as we get to the sect in-game, as I can explain further with more screenshots of various mechanism when we actually get to that part.

Oh, one more thing. You might be curious abou the many red brackets with the same characters, 不傳之秘. These are the forbidden techs of the sects so important to them that they are not willing to share to the Taiwu. As the Taiwu, we are not their sect member, we merely get the right to learn their stuffs because we are special; we are the fucking savior of the world and we need all the techniques in the world to save the world - yeah I know, this might reminds you of Aang mastering all the elements - so they are like "sure, we can let you learn our stuffs except for these". For these forbidden and therefore secret techs, we have to find other ways to learn it like befriend the high tier members of the sect and have them teach us privately and illegally. Or we can find some way to acquire the books of those skills and learn them through those books. We can't just learn it in the default way of "asking the sect's people to teach me". We also cannot look into those skills and their effects in the preview screen. Of course, this is the world of internet and we can easily spoil ourselves by checking them out on the net, but I myself have been not spoiling myself for so long so I still don't know them as of now. If we play long enough, we can eventually all get to know some of those through this run.

For every sect, the internal skills, qingong and special skills(sort of like perks, or stunts) are consistent. Every sect has these three lines. The lines below those are the different weapon styles used by the sect. As Vajra, we have the choice of Boxing(or to be more precise, fist and palm strikes; the Vajra focuses on palm, just like most Buddhist sects because well, Buddha Palm is just infamous), Blade(always underrated in wuxia actually, many bladesman are the bad guy, very rarely is the main character a blade user, sword is literally overused[and to me, overrated]) and Exotic(which I think should be the Vajra staff, which is a staff with the Vajra symbol on the top that serves as the bludgeoning part, so kind of like a long double-handed mace, pretty bad-ass weapon if you ask me). I propose 2 ways we do this:

1. We see which our character is most talented in and we go for that.
2. If you prefer that we force a specific weaponry, vote on it(Boxing[Palm], Blade or Exotic[Staff])

As for the one who voted on Green Gate. We can actually consider Green Gate as our second sect, it's only 2 continents away so it's not too far. Also, Gold breeds Water, good pairing. However, I have checked Green Gate's skills and they have completely different weaponry from Vajra and are also of a completely different style so it's hard for us to branch into that -- as the assassin clan, their primary physical stat is agility, which is completely ignored by Vajra. If we custom our character in the Vajra way, we would be more of a bruiser with high strength and vigor and ignore the speed-related stats. So sadly, I don't see we can branch out that way for our first character. We still can branch out but we will not get a lot of benefit from that as we can't utilize Green Gate's skill to its fullest if we are going into a hard Vajra build.

Moving on, let's look at our starting region:

FFyzA2n.png

We are on the western part of mainland China a.k.a. the Tibet area. Looking at the right bottom side of the screen, we can choose from five terrains. The one we pick will decide the terrain and resource of our home base, the Taiwu Village. We can see that "the sea shore" is blackened because it is completely illogical for our region to have that kind of biome. So, we have to go with the other fives. From a stragetical standpoint, players usually choose these based on their projected skills. Like if I am going hardcore into medicine or toxic or woodcraft, I would go forest or maybe lake. The safest choice is the ever balanced flatland, but it is sometime so random that you might not get what you want, but it has a balanced rate of spawning each resource whereas others are more specialized. Like you are super unlikely to find woods in snow mountain biome. We can vote on a biome or just let me pick it. Personally, I am huge on realistic so I am probably going with Mountain or Snow Mountain. As Vajra, the "must have" artistry skill for us is Buddhism, which is not affected by terrain. I did not check the complete building list though so I am not 100% sure, there could be some building that need to be built on a specific natural resource tile. Give me some feedback on this. Do we want to optimize and minmax or just roll with the punches?

MKtnTkI.png

This is the final screen and sort of like an option screen to set the world up. The options are:

- Life span: Short to long
- Battle difficulty: normal to "your death is certain"(reminds me of Dark Soul Prepare to Die edition; the 2 harder difficulties are locked because I have not advanced far enough into the game so the dev hardlocked me from being a newbie in an unforgiven world)
- Amount of spawned enemies: lesser to a lot more
- World invasion speed: None to extremely fast
- World's situation: Resourceful to barren
- Random successor: Open or close

Life span is the average life span of the characters. I personally stick to normal and people die by 40+ and rarely lives toward 60.

Battle difficulty I am setting it on Hard. Normal, the leftest option, actually gives the player bonus. Hard is actually the no bonus mode so it is technically the most fair option, and the hardest we can get to anyway.

Spawned enemies are like random encounters on the map as you travel, except it's not really random because you can see them before you step on their tile. More enemies actually give you more loots and stuff but if they are too strong, you will have a hard time traveling. I like sticking to normal for this.

World invasion is one heck of an option. Only experienced players should have this on. With none, the bosses will not randomly awake from their graves and invade the world as if they are the Burning Legion or Thanos or other worldly threats you have seen 10,000 times in your life. Having this on means the boss will regularly siege the world and this gives the gamer a timelock and constant pressure to improve or die. I think from a story perspective, the default is on. The story is about Xiangxu invading the world, so said opponent should be actually invading. With none, it means we can take on Xiangxu in his base(will be explained more as we go into the game) and the demon will just hang out there until we go to challenge. I am sticking with none as I don't have a lot of experience and we can chill and experience the game at a leisure pace. Heck, we can play Stardew Valley for 10 generations if we want to, roleplay as civilian in ancient China for as long as we want to if we pick "none".

With random successor open, it means if you die and you have no successor to pass your title to, a random person somewhere will find the Taiwu sword hilt and became the next Taiwu. Essentially, you cannot game over with this open because you can continue to play on and on and on with random characters even if you die abruptly. With it off, if you have no proper successor and you die, you lose the game and Xiangxu wins. The world has fallen to the devil, people are turning into demonic zombies and yada yada. The most hardcore way of playing this game would be with invasion on and random successor off. This indicates that you need to keep improving your character to withstand the Xiangxu's invasion while also securing heirs or friends or whatever to succeed the Taiwu sword hilt. You need to find the perfect balance of training and socializing or you lose.

For this game, my current proposed setup is:

Life span: Normal
Battle difficulty: Hard
Map enemies: Normal amount
Invasion: None
World situation: Normal
Random successor: Close(Fuck it, if we lose, we lose)

Back to starting bonuses, as I have full reign on this based on the voting result, here are the sure picks for me:

T0 P1 锋从磨砺 for Strength ++
T1 P1 純憑自然 for Body ++
T2 P1 意随心寂 for Comprehension ++(or we can take any of the other stats, maybe Vigor or Composure as Vajra uses those too)
T3 P2 谷中密友 for Childhood Sweetheart +1

As we are as selfish as a mofo, we will be selling out our sweetheart like the cruel villain we are. I cannot find the comic strip but I read this fan-drawn Taiwu comic last year:

Panel 1: Main character waking up from bed, bandages all over him. "Damn it, Xiangxu is too powerful, I need to keep on training."
Panel 2: An extended hand from the side of the screen holding multiple kung fu manuals, handing them to the MC. "Hi, I am back with some help. Here you go." "Ah, shimei, it's been a while since I see you."(Shimei is the term for female kohai in Chinese, can also be used as an endearment term for girlfriend[in ancient China, don't think it's used that way now])
Panel 3: MC looks at the manual, surprised. "Wait what? These are some high-tier stuffs, where did you get them from? You sure I can have them?" "It's alright, I just want to help you. You can have them."
Panel 4: Behind shimei are a bunch of sect's senpai, with cunning smile on their faces. "You can thank my senpais." Shimei said with blush on her cheek.

"Oh yeah, your shimei certainly think a lot about you, she even screams your name in bed."
"Your shimei is such a good lady, always attentive to our calls."
"Yeah, what others said."

So yup, we will be doing that. The sexual innuendo might not be true in our case (you are free to imagine the story how you like) but the plan is to insert our sweetheart into one of the sects, let her climbs the rank in time, learn stuff from the sect and then we ask her to teach us whatever she has learnt. There are a lot of creative ways to do stuff in this game. Some borderline cheating in my book but hey, it's a single player game, everyone can have fun in their own way.

We have five points left after taking all the things above, and there are some skills to consider:

- We can go deeper into the Life Experience branch and take T5 P3 白額靈蛇 for pure qi or T5 P3 服芝食玉 for no negative trait. Pure qi is quite valuable if we are doing a lot of bad stuffs as we are bound to have enemies and in a fight, the one with higher pure qi has dinstinctive advantage over the other. Pure qi is like "power level" in this game. It's hard to get them. No negative trait ensures that we will not be screwed by something that reduce our strength or reduce our body. One counterargument is that we can just reroll a new character again and again, so this trait is actuall pointless to the master of S/L(Save Load) but I am one-shotting here, so it's worth a consideration.

- If we ignore the 3 points investment into the T5 stuff, we have 5 more points to branch out to other branches. The wealth branch has some good shit like the Grade 5 Clothes and Horse. They are quite useful, especially the horses. It's hard for us to find such high quality horse so early and horse increases our inventory space and increase our travel speed. Very effective in any turn-based game if you understand the concept of action economy(which I expect you all to, this is freaking rpgcodex). We can also get some wines to give to the sect master we want to inject our "sweetheart chess piece" into. We need to befriend the sect master to a certain affection for the request to be available and having good items early is a fast way to achieve that.

- We can also dive into the artistry branch. As we know we need Buddhism to be effective in Vajra martial arts, we can take T0 P1 一任自然 for guaranteed high talent on Buddhism and 3 other skills, including cooking. Much like real life, cooking is a great way to make friend or find love. But there are not really must have on the artistry branch unless we are going hardcore into crafting. We can use 1 point on Buddhism ++ and use the other 4 elsewhere.

In summary, here are what I am looking for in feedback if you want to affect the beginning:

1. Starting biome
2. (If you really like a certain weaponry,) tell me which Vajra weaponry to go for
3. Thoughts on starting setup
4. Thoughts on starting bonuses

P.S. I am aware that some of the images did not work in the starting post, I will be explaining the elemental interaction again eventually.

Vatnik Wumao
Snow Mountain
Exotic
Your proposed setup is fine.
Pure Qi

So we are going to be playing a cuck? Not what I expected when joining a sect of rapists.

Goliathus

Literate
You are thinking of a cuck because we are selling our sweetheart. We can get the same benefit from selling our children or best friends, and we are no cuck that way. From a story perspective, I would say our character slowly realizes the value of power and he eventually sells out to that. To obtain power, he is willing to do anything, immoral or not. After all, we shouldn't worry about getting laid when we can eventually kidnap people to do whatever we want after we have power.

Goliathus

Literate

Double checking, I assume you meant "blade"? Blade, in this case, is the single-edged broadsword like a katana or the weapon of Xiahou Dun in Dynasty Warriors whereas sword is your regular double-edged kind you will see in almost every wuxia content out there. The reason I ask this is because if you genuinely meant sword, then there are no sword in Vajra. We use blade here, the weapon of real mofo, bad-ass man.

baud

Arcane
Patron

Double checking, I assume you meant "blade"? Blade, in this case, is the single-edged broadsword like a katana or the weapon of Xiahou Dun in Dynasty Warriors whereas sword is your regular double-edged kind you will see in almost every wuxia content out there. The reason I ask this is because if you genuinely meant sword, then there are no sword in Vajra. We use blade here, the weapon of real mofo, bad-ass man.

Yeah, I meant blade, but I mixed the terms

Goliathus

Literate
Alright, here we go. Let's finally get into the actual game! We start the game with a dialogue box. Do note that the NPC avatar just went through a re-draw recently. The "unnamed old man" was not that cool long time ago.

d3IUzG0.png

Unnamed old man: Now we talk about Kongsan Sect's Reverse King-Slaying Dive, true to its "head on the low and legs on the high, everything is inversed" theory, it is an art that utilizes unorthodox movement and stances to catch your opponent off guard. While it is a creative approach, it is not an upper level art by any mean.

Lai Zehong: Yifu(foster father), you have talked about every art of every sect out there, yet I am here learning this very dull "Tai Zu Long Fist".

Ejdc8Qr.png

Yifu: Heh......what do you think you know? Taizu Long Fist is the "mother of the hundred punches"; it is the foundation of all arts out there.

Now, we have a selection. Basic RPG stuff:

1. If you say so, Yifu......I will do my best in learning Taizu Long Fist.
2. You said it's the foundation, surely it is even further away from the upper level.
3. I don't like learning martial art...
4. (Silently not say anything)

For safety purpose, I pick 2 to make sure I get the "learn more skill" conversation. I know some choices skip that. It's not a big deal on the long run, but let's get anything we can.

K9jJZ9v.png

Yifu: Haha! You are a cocky boy, aren't you? Even using what I said against me. Alright then, let me ask you, what is an "upper level art" to you?

1. Yifu always said, Shaolin kung fu dominates the world, and there are 72 "great techniques" in Shaolin, as they are "great techniques", they must be good.
2. In my mind, the uppest level art is the one that looks good...
3. Wudang is the master of inner art. Yifu did mention that that Taiji Fist can hit fast with slow and to anti-hard with softness; this must be the insight of truth when it comes to martial art.
4. Flying needles and stone throws; scattering flower and stars. These are skills that can control your opponents from a hundred steps away, it must truly be the best.
5. There's nothing special about arts that kill people. Arts that save people, on the other hand, is the truth.
6. Snake has fang inside their mouth, much like bee has needle behind their back. To kill people, poison is the natural's way.
7. God, ghost, yaoguai and the like, these are all things a normal person would not expect.
8. This little child believes in the way of unexpected surprise. We attack the safe spot when he did not expect it and defend against blows we should not be expected to defend.
9. I...I don't know either.

Response:

1. Shaolin monks do indeed possess solid martial skills. However, Shaolin's martial arts are about building from the basic, and they are relative to your Buddhism understanding, so we non-dedicated people might not be able to use them to the fullest. But, your Yifu I indeed learnt Shaolin Six Combination Staff in my youth...
2. Naive kiddo, martial arts are used to kill! Fanciness has no use in this. But.....there are some moves that looks beautiful and are able to win in a fight, like Xuannv of Jianglin's One Xuan Hand...
3. Hehe, while it is indeed theory used by the upper level art, you do realize it's not easy to be achieve such feats? To hit fast with slow, to connect first by attacking second, to lift a thousand jin(ancient weight measurement unit) by four lian(another measurement unit), it would take years of training. Compare to boxing, Wudang Dan Sword is easier for beginners...
4. In terms of hidden weapon technique, the top one in the world is certainly Green Gate. But, Green Gate is a place with not a single good guy, and if you ever meet them, it's certainly a fight......alright, that's a good enough reason to teach you the Ten Creeds of Green Gate. With full understanding of that, it will be harder for the Green Gate people to ambush you.
5. Who shall die and who shall live, are these really the decision made by us mere mortals? A doctor can save people, but can also easily kill people. For instance, Hundred Flower Valley's Needle-Wielding Skill is an art designed to save people, but can also kill people without a single drop of blood spillage.
6. Bullshit! How can we compare martial arts to the like of harmful insects and beasts?! While Yifu is awared of Wuxian*'s Art of Gu**, but that is a dangerous art not suitable for the inexperienced. But, I do know about the Yellow Scale Whip, that is not as evil and terrible as the Art of Gu.[*The text mistakenly wrote as Wudu, which is the name that has the concept as Wuxian in the many wuxia universes out there, including Jin Yong. I assume they changed it to Wuxian to prevent copyright strike. **Gu is some sort of poisonous insect curse. Essentially, it is inserted through some weird-ass gypsy-ish method into the victim's body and the insect will cause all kind of trouble]
7. Yifu is not a believer of weird mythical bullshit! But, yin yang five elements and the like do exist. If you are that interested, I can teach you Eight Diagram Five Elements Blade, this might be more up your alley.
8. Heh, "We attack the safe spot when he did not expect it and defend against blows we should not be expected to defend", that's good! While you do have some points, like 70% of that, it is not the peak of martial art. But...your words did remind me of Ermei's Five Elements Stab.
9. (Our choice)Hehe, naive kiddo, There are a thousand martial arts in the world, but none will be of use without the inner art. A strong inner art can turn garbage into treasure. Martial skills and techniques, these are merely pipes that lead the water. With all skills but no neili(inner power, qi, "mana" of wuxia), you merely have a lot of pipes but no water; with a lot of neili, you would be like the sea, and a sea needs no pipe to cover the world in water! I did create a foundation inner art when I was young, Torrential Creed.

[I translated this part only to show how much I liked it. The dev can easily just let Yifu asks what's your favourite weapon and be done with it, but they wrote it in a more in-character, subtle way on a simple "choose your weapon" scenario. I respect this approach of writing.]

Choices:

1. Yifu, please teach me Torrential Creed!
2. Nope nope, this is not it, I must think again...
3. I think I will just stick to Taizu Long Fist...

8Y2ZWKk.png

We choose 1.

2aJw2ay.png

Yifu: Alright......listen and remember, now I will tell you the method of practicing the Torrential Creed. We first control our qi in Acupoint 181 of Du meridian* then we go up and down seven times before moving to Acupoint 362 of Ren meridian*.

(After three Chinese Hours**, the two men tried it once with no mistake, thus finished the learning process.)

* I think Age of Wushu and some oriental medical books would have the meridians and acupoint but I don't think I have to dig so much into such menial stuffs where no one gives a fuck about.
** 1 C.Hour = 2 hours.

Lai Zerong: Yes, child* remembers. [*I don't think it's technically "honorific" but Chinese does use a lot of different words to describe one self that is hard to translate to English without it being weird.]

NEKP7zw.png

We get a book of Torrential Creed and a basic grade 9 Fist weapon. Yay!

cXCrOtk.png

This is the item UI of a book. It reads "無門派真傳秘籍" and it means this is a sect-less authentic manual. Authentic manual teaches us the orthodox way of the art, whereas the non-genuine handwritten manual provides us the heterodox understanding of the art. The 4/4 is how many time you can read the book before it's gone, so -- durability. The 0.2 is the weight of the item. Every book has 10 chapters that grants the character understanding level of the art, from Lv.0 if completely not read to Lv.10 if fully read. Books in the Taiwu world is surprisingly incomplete. O is a complete chapter that (in my imagination) has every single letter and page in mint condition whereas X is the part of the book that has some missing parts. Newsflash, 99% of the books are incomplete and will have 1 or more X. Fuck, some of them have like 7 X and it just a complete nuisance or literally unreadable. More will be explained when we get to reading books. For now, moving on.

cSfgmIg.png

Alright, let's break this shit down and there are a lot to break down. So let's go from the top to bottom:

On top we have the weapon's name, grade, damage(not idea how they calculated the %, never understand how that % is useful either), and range. On the left we have our current ability with the weapon at 92%(the higher, the better, of course). On the right, we have the price in yellow and how much relationship point will we gain if we use it as a gift in green.

For 道具類型, we get to know the equipment type, durability and material. This is a wooden weapon, so 竹木, and wooden equipment is the second lowest in weight and is also the among the least painful, losing only to fabric equipment. The weight and damage/defense is pretty relative. Aside from weight(the leftest, 2.2), we also have the pentration rate in middle and then the hardiness rate at the right.

兵器屬性 is about the battle stat of the weapon. We have speed as "normal", then the six attack motion we will explain further when we get to a battle. The three accuracies of power, technique and speed for the third line. Fourth is penetration, 5 for external and 3 for internal. The last line is the ratio of internal damage from said weapon, which is currently at 20% + 0% from our internal art. The 20% is the weapon's true internal damage ratio. The 0% is merely there to let us understand our bonus for that from our art. The damage ratio always add up to 100%, so we are dealing 80% external and 20% internal attacking with this weapon.

裝備效果 is the equipment's effect. This is a speedy weapon and it gives us a +10 on speed. "Made by Yifu" is an equipment trait and it gives the weapon an additional 100% on durability.

功法發揮 is how the weapon mod our attacks. This weapon gives a -10%(so a penalty) on power, +20% on technique and -10% on speed. All in all, this glove is about techniqal output, but it does give us an additional +10 speed so I guess we are getting +9 net speed bonus from it after the mod.

使用需求 is the stat requirement. We don't have to be above the threshold to wield anything, but how much we can utilize a weapon depends on our stats relative to it.

當前發揮 is our current ability to utilize this weapon in %. This weapon allows us to get up to 110% so we might be able to wield this weapon over its intended benchmark but only by 10% because well, it's a shitty weapon. It's sort of like how a F1 driver would be able to utilize every car to their fullest, sometime even over the car's capability, by there surely exists a limit.

Do note that this UI is the full version, which I have to click on Alt. button to have it on display. Without Alt., it's a smaller version of the UI with less info.

Yifu: Good boy, just wait until your Yifu settles one very important thing, then I will teach you everything I know. But...but...

Lai Zehong: Why have you never told me about this "very important thing"?

Yifu: Because it's hard to describe it through words. Anyway, help Yifu catch some crickets after you are done with your work.

Lai Zehong: Crickets? I still have to fix the broken cart, I don't have time for crickets.

Yifu: That goddamn taoist has such a powerful Jade Tail(a cricket species)...Ah, nvm, it's really just for my own entertainment. But I do have a purpose for asking you to do that, so do what I said after you are done with your work.

Lai Zehong: Ah, now I see, you are betting on cricket fights outside the valley.

(After that is some tutorial monologue that explains our two starting tasks which I will skip.)

R8ACnzh.png

This is our main map UI. I will go more detailed on the various stuff in time but I want to explain the movement now. As we can see, there are a lot of black in the map. We have to play the role of cartographer in this game. By walking to a tile, we will reveal the 4 surrounding tiles, and vice versa until we fill the whole map if we chooses to. But really, it's a huge waste of time(which is not eternal in this game) and effort for rather minimal gain. At least in the current edition. There could be usage for that in the future where you have more events and so on. Speaking of events, the ! with a graphic indicates events. We can't see events in the darkness, so opening up a whole map will make sure we know the location of every event in a map at any point and time, so charting it out has its benefit, just not enough for now as events in the current state is...rather unimpactful on the large scale. They have their purpose, but you really don't have to open the whole map up for them because they are not ultra important.

py4Mzel.png

This is our character info and party member. Don't ask me why my 35 has more green dots than 65, I don't know either. Let's go from the left:

Nickname: None
Name: Lai Zehong
Sex: Male
Charisma: Normal
Belong: Not in a sect
Identity(Usually the rank in a sect): None
Philosophy: Selfish
Mood: Normal
Cycle of Life: 0

Do note that our charisma might merely be "normal", but it is already in the middle of the scale. It goes from "inhumanly ugly", "hateable", "not good", "normal" so we are at least decent and that is with the -60 charisma we are currently having due to our low grade apparel. I would also take the this opportunity to point out that you are all fucking lucky. I have rolled three "inhumanly ugly" character in a row and one is so fugly that even grade 5 clothes can't save him from that level, he's still fugly in it.

We are 20 years old and born in the "Small Cold", which is the the top half of January, so we are New Year baby, essentially. I just randomed this with a pack of cards. The 28/28 is our maximum life, not our HP in battle, but life point. When we hit 0 life point, we die.

The seven things on the middle of the page is something used in adventure which I will cover when we get to that.

Our traits aren't super great, you can see we have 2 inept(in white), 2 negative(in red) and 1 positive(in blue).

生於小寒(Born in "Small Cold")
Body +10, Vigor +5, Three of the seven adventure things I will explain later are given a +20, -10, +5 modifier(Did not try to think off the right word for each term on the 7, so I will skip that for now)

一支毛筆(One Ink Writing Brush a.k.a. Chinese calligraphy brush)
Poem +12, Painting +12, two of the seven adventure stats get +10, +15

[In ancient China, parents will put various items on the ground and let the crawling baby crawl to what he is attracted to. They believe that whatever the baby holds on to is the thing he is born to do. In our case, we are attracted to art, which is not exactly in our plan]

先天氣體(Inept Qi Barrier)
Qi Defense +20%[Currently +20]

[This is good for us, as we want to be hard style fighter, this strengthen our character as one that is born to do that]

步履蹒跚(Stumbling Step)
Stance Speed: -0.1, Move Speed -0.1, 1 of 7 adventure stats -5

心神散漫(Sloppy Mind)
Qi Lifting Speed: -0.1, Inner Art Utility: -10%, 1 of 7 adventure stats -5

[Well fuck, that inner art utility really hurts on the long run. Essentially, IC-wise, we are a sloppy tanker who just uses our physical ability to compensate for our clumsiness and sloth's mind.]

On the right side we have our various stats and statistics(ARPG fans would be familar with these kind of statistic page). Our physical stats are:

Strength: 110
Body: 117
Agility: 35
Vigor: 98
Comprehension: 51
Composure: 65

I boosted the strength, body and vigor in the starting which is why they are so high. Our birthday also further body and vigor up so it is awesome to be born in the winter. This is a Sino-Slaying viking chad we have here. We are obviously a slow brute with horrible agility and we are not very clever with 51 on comprehension. Our average composure actually makes sense with a slow mind.

ILvrZKu.png

If we point at the stat's image, there are further description. There is also an utility % and as we are ultra young, we are using our strength to its 140% capability. Stats, just like in any sim games, go up and down with age. I assume the capability % also goes up and down by age. Not sure why they love this kind of double decker but it is what it is.

The six stats below are defensive stats used primarily in battle. Currently, they are rather boring with a lot of 0, and we can eventually gain more of them when we learn more martial arts.

On the right side is a full breakdown on all the misc. stats and any mechanism that will impact a battle.

U9gtfcR.png

This is the injury screen. On top we have our External HP(red) and Internal HP bar(purple). Then we have our breath. 0 = smooth breath whereas if you go to 800 you would have trouble breathing due to the qi fucking around inside your body. This occurs when you go heterodox on internal skills. As I have said, you are not supposed to be able to live while moving your qi the wrong way in whatever internal art you do. You use hetero inner art, you fuck your body up.

Then we have poisons. As with every fucking thing in this game, there are many types of poison. Seriously, I know there are a lot of poisons in the various wuxia media, but no game has made it so detailed like this one. If the bar hit the red zone in the any of the poison, it means the poison has hit your heart and you are super likely to die.

At the bottom, we have injuries of all sort, which I can explain more when we get injured. For now, let's just say every injury you get will be shown here.

NQ3od45.png

Now to the equipment screen. As we can also "learn from books"(I think this is implemented in v0.16 or around that; I used to play a lot in v0.12, at that time, you have to hit the book like a goddamn Asian mathlete hunting for straight As to learn anything) in battle by equipping them, I have equipped the three books we have so far. I should have equip the boxing glove too before I take this picture but it is slotted in one of the weapon slot on the first column. The top one will be the default weapon you start your fight with so I have it on that slot. On the screen is info for our clothing, which is a grade 9 Barbarian/Tarzan clothing. Every apparel have their own unique function. In our case, our Tarzan clothing can ask people to fuck out of our territory -- our current tile(and also reduce their friendship point toward us at the same time). I have not found much purpose on this skill, but meh, it's probably just a filler ability that makes sense with the cloth. I doubt anyone would wear this for long aside from the very hardcore RPer or someone doing a tarzan challenge run. As we can see, this clothing has us on -60 charisma.

rgEb0uB.png

To be able to use the apparel's skill, we must first make said person believe we are indeed a Tarzan(or whatever that apparel is representing). Everything we interact(first time per month) with someone, we will gain % in the image category. This is our so-called sweetheart in the picture and she so far has 10% image that we are a Tarzan. Yeah right, you love me and oyu don't know who am I? Gaming logic 101.

Njt6V1p.png

This is our inventory page. To use item we just drag them to the appropriate location. On the top left there is 喜惡, this is the thing a person likes and dislikes, and affects the relationship point increase/decrease from gift giving. We also have our current resource on the right side of it. As we start with wealth as suggested, we have 10000 money to begin with.

gUUdQjE.png

This is our artistic skill page. The first number is inept talent and the second number is knowledge number we will get from reading the art books. I have invested in a point on the Buddhism so we start with a solid 79. Although 79 is actually quite slow for a bonus start, we could easily be 90-100 if we are decently lucky. Essentially, we have a rather horrible character when it comes to artistic talent. Look at that 0 in weaving, goddamn we are so manly that we can't weave a handkerchief to save our life. Even with our baby self taking the calligraphy brush, we are still shit in painting and poem. On the top left corner, we have our life experience at 0 because we have not experienced life yet and our growth type is a Late Bloomer. Late Bloomer has -12 efficiency on learning art at 20 and the number will slowly become positive as we age.

dkI7A18.png

This is our martial tlent. As we have a 1:1 vote on exotic and blade, I have decided the tiebreaker would be whatever we are more talented wins. In this case, blade wins with 81 so we will your typical bad ass bladesman. We ain't some pussywillows who rely on hidden weapon so we suck at them. Whip is for girl anyway so we suck at them too. Fingering...oh well, guess we would have a harder time making our wetting our victim. I think the game might have some sort of hidden boost on our birth place as we are solid in all three Vajra weapons. Blade will be our top priority, of course.

bTcTt0q.png

This is all the martial arts we currently have. We have our rudimentary Taizu Long Fist, a basic qingong and Torrential Creed. It is categorized this way so when we build up a library of art, we can easily refer to each of them. For now though, our shelf is extremely empty.

cvdLeBp.png

This is the tooltip(how the fuck did I just recall about this word now?) of Torrential Creed. The UI share some resemblance to UI of other stuffs. We start with basic info of the art, we are on 30% mastery with Lv.0 understanding of it currently. 內功屬性 are the slots available for us to equip our arts. To be able to use arts in battle, we have to equip them, and thus gaining both the passive and active usage of them. Higher tier internal arts have more slots but some are more focused on a certain skills than others. Torrential Creed is a super balanced one, as it is 混元(Mixed Element/Hybrid/Neutral). 內力增加 is the most important stat here as it tells us how many qi point we get from learning this -- learning is enough, no need to equip it to have those qi point in our pool. 運功效果 is the passive effect we get from equipping this art. For this, we will get 內息 +4%(currently 10, written right there so non-mathlete can play the game). Then we have stat requirement and our current utility %. This is a foundation internal art so we easily have all the stat and is on full capability.

G0L4Dsc.png

This is our arsenal. Our current element attribute is at neutral because are have 12 on all elements.

Aw70ICO.png

We are currently using Torrential Creed and we are only at 30% mastery so we only have such low amount of slots. As we can see on the image above, we would have 3 slots of each color and 4 utility slots. I added 1 utility slots to red just to show you the usage of it. Utility slots can be used to gain slots of any color. We equipped everything we have for now. Noticfe that we have above the image. That is our PL. Most start with 0 but we take the bonus to start with 1. Every 1 we have above our opponent gives us 50% increased penetration on both internal and external and also increases our two defenses by 20%. Huge stat boost essentially, and all the startup tier opponents are of PL 0.

We currently have 60 qi in our qi pool, 12 of all elements added up together. This qi point can be distributed onto the four 0 on the right side. All of them give you % on various aspects of a battle. Like your standard stat allocation mechanism, we spend 1 qi to up it to Lv.1, then 2 qi to up it to Lv.2 and vice versa. A late game character will be running with a few K of qi points to go up to 40/40/40/40 or something like that. For now, our balanced spread is 5/5/5/5 with precisely 60 qi points. The four colors are:

Red: Destruction
Green: Lightness
Yellow: Protection
Purple: Mythical(or just Qi Circulation/Qi Smoothness)

Destruction affects our penetration % and also give RAW penetration number.
Lightness affects our move speed by % and RAW.
Protection affects our two defensive stats that counters penetration.
Qi Smoothness affects our Inner breathing(which is how smooth our qi is operating inside our body), which is one of the 6 defensive stats mentiond above. While listed under defensive stat, inner breathing is more of an utility stat and a higher number(vs our opponent's) will increase our proc rate of some special effects in a battle. Essentially, the fighter with higher inner breathing will be proccing more, so this qi smoothness investment helps you to be the one with a higher inner breathing score.

As a Vajra with our current body sttat, I think our typical setup would be higher on Yellow and then maybe Red or Purple and Green should be our lowest.

UaEFT2u.png

That's enough for UI. Let's try to fix the wooden cart. We go into our storage and take out the required items from it. So dragging them from the left side to our character's inventory at the right.

SxDe7Rt.png

We need wood to fix and we have 3 boxes of wood in the storage. So we drag them to the bottom to open the boxes.

mqx5sfa.png

Voila, 1000 woods.

phGn69l.png

Now we go to crafting. We need the appropriate building to craft, like a woodshop for woodwork. In this tutorial, we are given a special building that functions as many buildings that we need. We will go more into building later on when we get to the Stardew Valley part. For now, let's just work on the cart. This is the repair screen. We drag our grade 9 toolbox to the left to indicate that we are using it this time. It is a 30 uses box and gives a +10 to woodcraft stat for being a grade 9 toolbox. We put the 0 durability cart on the right. It said we need 10 woodcraft skill to fix so anyone can fix it, even if you start with 0 talent, the +10 from the toolbox would allow you to get 10. The first + is always the most, 100 wood according to the UI.

jDZkPez.png

We will just take the discount on the next few + and get it back to full durability of 10/10. So we + till we have 10 woods in the graphic and we uses 140 woods in total to fix it.

[Repair result]
And now we have ourself a wooden cart! Battle loot +10% and +50 space in our inventory for equipping it.

zckz6e5.png

We also found an accessory from the cart, yay!

WB7XUhM.png

We equipped the cart but left the accessory on the inventory because it takes up the same slot as the books. Books are better for now.

S7I7z39.png

Now, let's travel! Every tile takes X day to travel. As our MP is equivalent to a month of 30 days(see the bottom left, the 30 is the remaining MP of our current turn), I usually just use day to describe it. It will take 1 day to move to the barren tile. Barren tile is fastest to travel because it is void of anything; just a flat land for many miles/kilometers/whatever you want to use in my imagination. Notice the 8x 0/0, those are the resources of the tile. Barren has all 0, it has absolutely nothing except carcases and vultures. Other tiles costs a range of 1-4. Tiles like mountain take days to travel.

9BtwhWG.png

As we move, something pops up. Lai Zehong spots a monkey at the nearby bushes. The monkey sees Lai and comes out of the bushes, staring back at Lai with its eyes. Lai knows this monkey, he has donated plenty of food to it around the bamboo shed(home).

Lai found a lot of wounds all over the monkey's body, but luckily for the little fellow, none of them were critical. The monkey picked up this is the handsome chad that has helped it plenty of time and the monkey spent a lot of effort on body language to tell Lai something:
There were turf wars going on between the various monkey gangs and a lot of the younger monkeys were hurt in the conflict. Eventually, one of the gangs founded various "wooden men"(think Mokujin from Tekken), controlled them, and won the turf war.

The monkey exhausted after all the body language and collapsed to the ground, exhausted and hurt...

Lai: (Only choice)[Tries to heal the monkey]

After inspecting the various wounds of the monkey, and thinking on how to save said monkey, something hits his mind: Ah, Mokujin, these are traps made by Yifu to keep the wild beasts away from the valley. Never did they expect these valley monkeys to be smart enough to control them. Surely it would be more dangerous to travel around the valley now.

(Red words warning us players about a powerful bronze statue roaming the valley; this is the boss of the statue traps)

IEOn3rv.png

As you can see, this is where philosophy comes into play. Players are free to choose any response and I am given the understanding that if you choose a philosophy different than yours a lot of time, yours would switch to that. But choosing any philosophy that is not currently ours will make us unhappy. Choosing the right one makes us happy. Mood is rather important in this game because it has something to do with Xianxue, the bad dude, but more on that later.

Heal the monkey, and tell him you are gonna punish those monkey bitches. Justice shall be served!
2. Carefully heal the monkey, and ask him to rest in the bamboo shed.
3. Bandage its wound, and explain to the monkey hatred will never end if both sides just keep plotting revenge against each other.
4. Randomly patch the monkey's wound, toy with it and ask it to perform some monkey flips for your own amusement
5. Heal the monkey and ask it to heed your command.

We, of course, choose 5. The monkey salute with respect, takes out a few wild berries from under a rock nearby and put it on the side of our feet. After Lai was done with all the injurues, the monkey climbed up the nearby trees unsteadily and disappeared into the wild.

nDaCotB.png

One more step and we got ambushed! One of the wooden statues threw a rock at us and it's time to rumbleeeeeeeeeee!

ljzuyvl.png

As Lai dodgeg the incoming rock, he heard monkey's noise from behind the statue. Before Lai could react, two other monkeys lifted the wooden statue and threw it right at Lai!

mmbJ4Vi.png

Lai roars after a big step and the corwardice monkeys all ran and hide behind the statue, controlling it from behind for more stone attacks. It's time to rumbleeeeeeeeeeeeee!

5mGHcM0.png

A party breakdown and in the middle, we can select different tactics if we have teammates as strategists. We do have our sweetheart which I have put to the party and she does have one strategist point so we can use one of the tactics.

To be continued...(yes, I am a dick and a tease)

Goliathus

Literate
FZi6BOK.png

Lai Zehong: Weird...I don't think I have seen this kind of wooden man before. This must be a model made and abandoned by Yifu long before I came here.

(The wooden man can only attack and has no way to move. As long as I can get out of its attack range, it'd be easy.)

gVgwZRh.png

Alright, here we go. I intentionally hold this part to its own post ebcause there are a lot of digest. Before we start, let's get something out first. Yes, this is the battle graphic. It involves two stickmen battling in blackened animation. If your imaginary isn't the best, or you just straight out prefer a more 2019-ish graphical presentation of the battles, this game is not for you, at least at its current state. I heard they planned to improve it eventually and the blackened dudes are just placeholder.

Let's start with the bars on the 12 o'clock. The top bar is our external HP whereas the bottom bar is our internal HP. The grey bar is armor, which will go down as we gets hit and then color will begin to fill the bar once our armor has depleted until we reach the symbol. When any of them reaches the skull symbol, we lose the fight. In this case, the skull symbol is at the 100% threshold, which is used for a death match. We have our characters and the opponent's character on the two sides. If we pause in this semi-real time battle, we can check on our enemy and such. We also have our current equipped weapon and the technique roulette. Each weapon have different techniques on the roulette. As our glove is a balanced glove, it has two of each of the three techniques.

1285GZL.png

To attack with our Taizu Long Fist, we need to get one 崩 before we can cast it. The higher tier skill will need more so it's important to have a weapon that is compatible with our martial arts. Further explanation fo the roulette will be a little bit later.

Back to the previous image, below our character is our qi distribution to the 4 colors. Notice that I should be at 5/5/5/5 but is currently at 0/0/0/0, that's a mistake after I reload. I forgot to distribute the qi, but no matter, this is a tutorial fight and we can easily win against this immobile piece of wood. We can also see that we have a 1 vs our opponent's 0 near our name. Our 1 is what we get from the white snake bonus. We have 1 Pure Qi above our opponent and has the advantage. Below that is the team members. Team members can occasionally interact with the fights. The many images of the same kind is the tendency. Our sweetheart has 4 attack symbols and 7 defense symobls so she is more likely to help us on defense. The Zzz icon is the cooldown period. Once it goes a full circle, the member is active and can then interfere the fight. Do note that the party system of this game is...rather shallow, especially for the player's side. Enemies can actually switch between team members to fight us, but we can't. Like a bullshit Gary Sue fanfic, our Taiwu is the Sue and the only one that can fight our opponents. Our team members are merely supports, which isn't that needed in my experience so far, like they didn't really help a lot, aside from the starting strategy(which is also not super impactful).

Now to the bottom UI, the key part of the battle. The number in the middle is our distance, currently at 5.0. From my understanding, aside from this kind of situational fight, we always start at the maximum reach of either fighter's weapon. So if someone is a music user(music is OP), we would be starting at the furthest(9.0) and if I don't have a weapon to attack at that range, I am forced to be kited and attacked until I can get into my range. The flashing Chinese letters on our side indeed tells us that "we are not in attack range". Our fist has an attack range of 2.0 to 4.0 whereas our opponent's hidden weapon is at 4.5-7.0. The circle below showing 5.0 on our side and 5.7 on their side is our objective distance. If we want to close in, we put it to a smaller number and vice versa if we want to back out.

B1luRxm.png

Let's adjust it to 2.0 so we can close our range. We can see that our movement is charging up by the small bit of blue color on the circle track we have right now. We will move as soon as it filled the full circle. If we move it back to 5.0, the blue color will disappear. We can't "store" our movement. The best we can do to pre-charge is to put the slider on say 4.9 or 5.1 and let it charge and then move back to 5.0 to refresh without moving if we don't want to move. Pre-charge has it usage, like you might not want to move now but you want to move when your opponent is channeling a skill or something like that. This might be confusing for now, which I will explain more on it a little later.

For now, let's stick to the UI. The white dots is our movement point. Each movement will cost 1 and if we are down to a blank movement bar, our move speed is penalized. We can restock them directly with qingong if we wanted to anytime it goes blank. Or it will recover by itself after a period. I don't have the exact knowledge on it though, like how they recharge and so on. Also, qingong circle are green, which is like enhanced movement point that has the qingong's ability in it, like increased movement distance and what not. Qingong usually gives a few dots so we can move like the wind for a couple times for a single cast of our qingong.

Moving on, the Sharingan(Naruto, in case you all don't know) lookalike wheel on the left and right of the character is our "action bar". We have to fill both the inner circle and the outer circle for us to be able to cast an art. Each art will cost different level of the inner and/or outer circle. I think they both have their own properties and usages but I did not dive super into it. For now, let's just look at them as two bars to filled to be cast-ready.

Moving on to the 9 buttons of weaponry and such. The left column is improvised weapon, which are garbage grade 9 weapon of three different distance: close range(fist), midrange(tree branch) and long range(stone). These are your desperate weapons in case you need to attack when you are getting juked. It's not really used often as you can always ready three weapons of different distance anyway. Plus, we are against AI and they are generally not as good as juking as a PVP-oriented player would be so most of the time you can just close the distance and use your preferred weapon without needing any of these improvised weapon. They are just there as the last resort, which makes sense, sort of like a confirmation button on a program. Like the "cancel" on that screen is not used often but it is there in case you need it.

For the middle column, we have our three equipped weapons. We only have one, the wooden glove from our Yifu, so the other two slots are empty. For the right column, these are the three misc. actions: Healing, poison repel and escape. As indicated by the numbers on the right bottom corner, we can only heal and poison repel once per fight with our current setup. To escape, we need to get to 9.0 and click the button. It is blackened as of now. Once we start an escape at 9.0, we will be in casting of the escape action and our opponent can try to close the distance before we trigger the escape action. If our opponent can close the gap fast enough, we fail our escape.

Below are our skills. We have qingong on the left, martial arts on the middle and special skill(a.k.a. stunts) on the right, which is currently empty. As we don't have our "action bar"(hereon out I will just use "focus bar" for thematic purpose) filled, nor do we have the correct technique character in our tech. pool, we cannot use our move. We can however use our qingong as it doesn't need the focus bar but merely the white movement dots. For our "Small Leaping Skill", we consume 1 white dot into 2 green dots of Small Leaping Skill. Let's do that as we are trying to close the range.

cc13JBE.png

Bam! We are channeling Small Leaping Skill. As with any bar, we need to wait for the blue color to hit the full bar and connects together.

q5UIvI3.png

And our opponent sees that and attacks! In between all the skill casting and such, we have normal exchange of attacks. Personally, I imagine these as the "feeling out" of a fight. In a MMA fight, this is where the fighters try to jab and feel each others. When they do a haymaker, that's the martial arts. An attack is not always 1 hit, it can be multiple hits at once. For our first hit, we get hit for 2 armor.

jF7eVeZ.png

And then we successfully get our Small Leaping Skill online. Oh, one more note. When we are channeling something, our movement bar is paused. So we have to always decide whether we want to charge our movement bar and meaneuver or we want to stay and channel something.

e1MpEBw.png

Our opponent continue to chip at our armor with more hidden weapons of its own.

tTXay6T.png

They are fierced with their attack! This time it's a 5 hit combo, including a feint attack(變招) which provides some extra effect. Also, do notice that in the images we get to see which body parts of us are getting attacked. You see, this game is fucking detailed on the sim part, like this is the most detailed I have ever played in 10+ years of Chinese gaming. Each skill and martial art have different "body part distribution". Some like to go for the leg, some go for the chest and heart and so on. In this case, our opponent hits us all over the place, including 2 times to our left leg.

E4Xc1YM.png

And finally, we moved! Now the wooden man is out of range and will stay out because it can't move.

NGFzRV0.png

We gets our first hit in! 11 external(red) and 1 internal(purple) on the...crotch. As if attacking that region does anything to a wooden man.

eAOapiY.png

Our opponent switches to the improvised fist so it can fight back. Bu no matter, we are going all out. After we break the armor, the damage will start to add up.

hSUE7Am.png

For the final hit of the chain, the opponent triggers a protective skill that reduces internal damage. But it doesn't matter in the super early game as they can't reduce a 1 to something smaller.

gUq6EeJ.png

We tank the hits like a true Vajra. As our opponent is switching to the worst weapon of all, improvised, they don't have enough attack power to damage us. Also, I forgot to explain just now but look at the weapon roulette, the circle there is our normal attack charge. Once it goes full, we will perform a normal attack.

jORHvZ2.png

This is what it's like when we roll a feint, which has a chance to trigger on every normal attack. We can feint and switch to hit another body part of our choice with different success rate and effect, like attacking the leg will decrease the accumulated movement circle and vice versa. We also instantly get a technique of our choice into our pool. If we go for X, we will decline the feint and gets a normal hit. Do note that you only get a few seconds to decide a feint. Once the circle goes around and you have not picked anything, it defaults to no feint.

p62f0fw.png

And then we wins out of nowhere with a six hit ultra combo(that if triggers, hit your opponent for six hits of 300% damage on each blow). Darn it! I will explain more on next fight then. We get our reward for the fight, which are two more of the wild berries and the hidden weapon used by the wooden man. We also gets 132 life experience but nothing on the other 2(will be explained way later). On the screen, we gets to see the various achievement and such from the fight. As we have not used the heal and poison repel inside the fight, we get to spend them after the fight immediately, as indicated on the screen(2nd and 3rd). Then we have the various factors as to how we win the fight, our cahivement and such. If we point at each of them, there are written details for one to read and understand.

--------------------------------

Lai Zehong dropped the wooden man to the ground and the monkeys scattered into the wild now that their "big tree" was chopped off.

LZH: (Yifu alway6s said, life outside the valley is chaotic. Well, I guess life inside the valley isn't much better either)

QBoxojv.png

Moving on, we will go on an adventure or a quest...let's stick with quest. The icon here in our current tile represents an event. The "-" indicates it has no time limit so we can do this at anytime.

nYhOAew.png

This is the quest information screen. We have difficulty, area, item usage, necessary items and description. This is a tutorial quest so let's just go in right away. I am not interested in translating the bullshit description of this one. It just tells you about the seven quest skills and such. The blue -1 besides the big O is how many AP we spend to go on the quest. For this tutorial quest, only 1!

EXRoNGu.png

This is our quest screen. All we have to do is move from the beginning dot to the ending dot. Looking at the bottom right of our screen, we will see the seven adventure skills, influenced by our character traits. I really wanted to explain this right now but this game only saves on the beginning of every month and I really want to finish this month so let's save it for next month on the other quest. In this intro quest, it's pretty just explanation of how it works and free life experience for us as we moves toward the end of it.

1nIuOkm.png

After clearing the quest, we traveled back to the east part of the map and we spotted the hidden valley's mini-boss, the bronze statue! This is normally a tough fight but we have the 1 Pure Qi for ultimate martial artist start, so let's tackle it! Initially, I wanted to stop here and ask you all on whether to fight or not but fuck this game's autosave system, let's head right in! I did not forget to distribute my qi point this time.

SJlIJj3.png

The game advises us again and again to not go in but fuck that advice, let's rumble!

xV3wqW9.png

We increases our defense for this fight as this motherfucker hit like a truck. We are looking to outlast it.

OB6Ceef.png

We starts at 4.0 as we are both brawlers.

lLXLBqy.png

We goes in for the first hit, breaks its armor right away and starts to chip in.

VdT5Bdj.png

It attacks but we dodges them. I also want to take this opportunity to explain the technique roulette. As we attacked, the roulette will rotates in the direct I illustrated with my awesome paint skill. We get a technique stored in our pool and then the roulette rotates. It continues like that as we normal attack and we will eventually stores enough tech to use our martial arts.

kzro09H.png

This is how we win the last fight, the ultimate six hit combo. We triggered it again and gets in with massive damage.

H5pfeJ5.png

More importantly, we gets the needed 崩 to use our Taizu Long Fist, so let's do that right away!

Eo1Xn52.png

We can see that our 崩 get consumed from the point as we are now channeling Taizu Long Fist. We also get hit by a huge attack. This mini boss breaks our armor in one hit(Armor is very fragile in the early stage so no surprise). Do note that channeling an art attack takes much longer than a qingong and a stunt and both our normal atack and movement are paused. Our opponent will be doing a lot of normal attack as we gets our move on.

Q2AExvB.png

This thing can punch. 12 on a single hit.

UpXr6Nj.png

Taizu Long Fist is online! To resolve how much we connect, we compare our three attack stats to our opponent's three defense stats. Speed vs dodge, technique/precision vs parry and power vs power strip(just imagine taiji or judo's way of redirecting and dispersing the opponent's force).

ZBffMa3.png

We can see our technique's distribution here. For Taizu Long Fist, a well-rounded skill, it is 30% speed, 30% technique and 40% power. We then go back to the numbers in the middle top. We have 39/58/84 vs 0/0/16 so it's a full hit. If our opponent defends against all three, it's a 0% hit(so a complete whiff). If we connect with our power only and has lower numbers on the other two, then we only connects for 40% of our Taizu Long Fist. The Taizu Long Fist also tells us that if we hit for at least 70%, we get the to find a hole in opponent's defense, which gives us something sweet.

0YSYOQQ.png

wL7if4X.png

A0gJSJ9.png

Each martial art skill comes with their own unique animation. Sure, we only have black stickmen for graphics, but the team is very dedicated to their animation. There's like hundreds of skills and all of them have their own animation, which to me is awesome. Or at least that's the minimum they should do in the current fight presentation. We connect with all three for a perfect hit so we gets an extra attack and BAM!

(And then I fucking failed to save the image I had on the extra attack. Fuck me. We will show it next time)

PjbLwKu.png

And there's the defensive hole or flaw we found in our opponent on the chest area. Aside from art attack, I believe we can get these dots too if we keep hurting and injuring our opponent bad enough. This is similar to how one's leg is a weakness or flaw or a hole or whatever you want to call it after taking a shit ton of muay thai leg kicks. For this single hole we have now, opponent will take extra 10% external damage on anything connecting at their chest area plus their power strip stat is decreased by 5%.

uFOl5lS.png

We go in again with another wave of Taizu Long Fist. This time our numbers are in blue because our teammate have boosted it. This is one of the usage of teammate, they will sometime boost your numbers up to hopefully get one of them into the higher range. The problem is this kind of inconsistent buff is rarely depended on. Like you either have your numbers above or you don't, only in rare occasion does it prove useful.

Hb95a5B.png

Either way, we connect for full once again and got another opening at the waist. This one has power decreased by 5%, useful here as it might cut down the damage output of our opponent. Looking at the HP bar, we are close to victory. Unlike the monkey-controlled wooden man fight, this one is not a fight to the death, this is a sparring fight so the threshold is 50% and the defeatist gets to escape after the fight with all the injuries intact. Most fights will be this kind of fights, and in a spar, it's 50% too, except there are no injury carryover. Much like the superhero genre, death is rare in a wuxia setting(though more common here if you choose to be ruthless). Escape with injury is the norm.

rFfAEmv.png

Man, this is not easy at all. The statue just hits us for 54 on three basic hits.

aWwbqOl.png

ebJoaYk.png

As I was pondering whether to just cast a heal and slow down our chance to get another Taizu Long Fist going, we trigger the ultra combo and just finish the fight right there!

lrwtSMv.png

Now I get the chance to explain the injury UI a little further. This is what we have after we get injured. Each point there equals to each damage point on our HP. If we get to the max and not do anything about it before we end the mnth, then our life(the 28/28) will go down. If we hit 0/28, we die. We can spend herb resource to perform a heal action. The degree of healing we get is depending on the highest healing skill of our party members. A doctor is definitely useful in a long, risky trip, or we can just bring a lot of potions.

L3z8BBb.png

We do have some grade 9 potions, which heal well on any wound below 60. Above 60, its effectiveness is decreased by 80%. Higher grade potions will have higher number threshold to bring heal the more critical wounds. It heals for 20% per use.

08tJkbF.png

This is our injury report. I believe at 100%, we will get a defensive hole on that body part in battle. Do note that it's 26% when it's a 20HP injury, so if we heal to cut it down to 6.0%, then we should be able to recover like 17-18 I guess. As the valley has no stronger enemy than the bronze statue and we are balling with the Pure Qi, I don't think immediate healing is required. The only concern is that we are near the 50% threshold for most fights without healing but eh, we can still takes a lot of hits regardless.

And that's all for this month. Next month, we will go on a cricket search! Let's see if we can find one that can help our Yifu win some money!

Vatnik Wumao
Wow, this game is really mechanically complex. It seems rather unfriendly playing blind and it would be really easy to create a nerfed character build.

Have you played hetuluosho (Books of the Dragon)? The battle system there is more straight forward and offers a good deal of customization to your character. How does this system compare with Books of the Dragon?

Goliathus

Literate
It's not unfriendly at all unless you just want to straight out min-max off the start. Me and many people have started blindly and all did okay in the first game. This game is very relaxed and does not have the intensity unless (A)you play invasion mode which demands you to be efficient or keep dying to the boss (B)you mess with a lot of people. If played in the more peaceful way, your first character can be the worst character of all time and you will still do fine. You can just play this game like Harvest Moon if you want to, just develop your village and don't do anything stupid and it'd be a fine life simulation game in a wuxia world.

There are various reasons why it's fine with a nerfed character build. Firstly, as the Taiwu, you will learn more skills than other martial artists, thus always giving you an edge against fighters of the same tier. You might also have better equipments if you are hardcore into crafting and such. Secondly, even as the Taiwu, no one gives a shit about you. You are not really a part of the martial forest, so no bad guy will try to go your way unless you piss them off first(which is why playing evil character who does evil shit OR playing a paladin who mess with every bad guy is much harder than just being a "civilian" who don't mess with nobody). Thirdly, if you are min-maxing, there are too many ways to abuse the game to go up in power level. I did not research too much into it but this kind of sandboxy games always have a lot of OP methods to get stuff. For instance, shoving our NPC character into a sect would count as one of the ways, but at least that makes some sense in context. Another way is to just befriend a high tier character and suicide your first so you get a second Taiwu with godlike stat. This is also one of the key points. As this is a multi-generational game, having a garbage first character is not a big deal at all. If you really dislike your first, you can spend time searching for a rightful heir than trying to power up your first character.

This game is just number crunchy but it does not really intimidate the players. It's not like in Divinity: Original Sins or Fire Emblem where you either play a solid game, make good character or decisions or otherwise you can't advanced because you just sucks donkey's balls. This game let you plays at your own pace, at least in the current version. So rest assure you have all the time in the world to learn and experiment.

--------------------------------------------

As for Books of the Dragon, that's actually more of a typical setup for a cRPG. Heluo's games have always provide players with pretty solid customization and I really like it. But as it is the most unoptimized game in 2018 made by a named studio, I can't play it with my old as hell PC with 4GB ram. It just can't run on 4GB ram. 8GB, it's fine but 4GB, I get stucked as soon as I entered the first village and I gave up on that despite my extreme tolerance to this sort of bullshit. I have played buggy indie games for years(fuck, I still can't believe I played The Witcher 1's first act in 20FPS before I gave up in the next act) but this just straight out cockblock me from playing. All I can be is a "Cloud player"(which is what China internet called a gamer who watches let's play/streamers and think he is a fucking pro). Edit: For anyone who is curious, this game uses 95% of RTX 2080 and heat it up to 70+ celsius for no apparent reason, only by booting into it. Plus, it has ram issue. No matter how big your ram is, you have to manually reset the game after a few hours because the dev can't even tell the game to buffer the memory.

A little history lesson, BotD was supposed to be a remake of the legendary, "Baldur's Gate of China" MS-DOS cRPG made in 1996, Heroes of Jin Yong. Sadly, Jin Yong did not let them buy the rights to his novels so they have to develop their own Heluo universe. That is great for me personally, JY's stories have been played too many times by me and they are just as boring as Romance of Three Kingdoms to many Chinese fans. Original universe is the way to go.

Taiwu's system is actually completely different from most cRPG. Taiwu's gives me the impression of a more Western design whereas most other cRPGs follow a more jRPG approach. BotD, Tales of Wuxia, The Gate of Firmament and others old cRPGs not found on Steam, you can sort of see the jRPG designs in them, albeit in a Chinese setting. Taiwu is the unique one that goes full out hardcore math and stuff as if they are developing a D&D-esque system. Most cRPGs are like BotD in that they are not super complicated in combat, but comes with plenty of ways to build your character so you can have fun just by playing. The one downside of Heluo's game IMO is that they just can't seem to get the difficulty right. BotD from what I heard is quite easy. Tales of Wuxia is easy(especially apparent to me because I have played both versions) and the 2002's ToW before-it-is-remade is crazy hard(as in your either min-max like a freaking munchkin or dominate OR you will lose).

If you like BotD, you can try Gujian3(I heard an official English version will eventually be coming; this one has more of a Witcher 2&3-ish combat system) or Fate Seeker(not too sure about this one, have not tried it; no English though). These two are the golden eggs of modern wuxia or xianxia cRPGs, with thumbs up from both Chinese and international gamers.

I think the biggest issue with cRPGs going worldwide is that they just don't have multi-language support. Single player games aren't that supported in the Chinese community(in which mobile garbage and MMORPGs are the tickets to money nirvana because there are just way too many "gamers"[they are techically gamers because they play games but they are also not really in my eyes] who just dump money on this kind of low difficulty game because they can win with money). Single player games, no matter the quality, are considered unprofitable at here until the last few years where they start exploding again. Despite the hopeful boom, most studios simply don't have the money to afford English translation, that pair up with their rather xenophobic perspective of the market kinds of make them not wanting to translate their stuff.

Last edited:

Goliathus

Literate
Alright, I am back after a week of hiatus. Sorry for the lack of update but let's continue our adventure. Speaking of adventure, we are indeed going on an adventure today, or quest, if you prefer that. Cue the Pokemon music and let's go!

HUvB8rU.png

On tile with a quest, we can see this symbol. The "-" means this is a quest with no time limit. If it's "3", then that quest will disappear after 3 months. In the current edition of the game, quest is...very little. I expect more quests of different kind to be developed in the future but for now, they are still working hard on adding functions and game elements. Story and quests come after that, but how soon? No one has any idea.

9JPmLdY.png

This is the detail of the quest. For "High Chirps of Crickets" quest, the difficulty is 1 and 1. From what I observe so far, the current quests are always equal in both red and yellow skull. I assume there will be variety eventually. Red skull is battle difficulty and yellow skull is skill difficulty. The line below is "Area", a higher number means a larger area to travel from the start to the end of the quest, which is usually a "boss fight" or "encounter" but not always. In some cases, we have to have some items. In this quest, we need a cricket net, which we started with 10 in our inventory. We also have brief description for the quest:

"Silence fills the lonely space, with the occasional chirps of crickets. 'In the realm of the cricket king, no sound is to be made in a hundred Chinese mile*'. In a place where the cricket king lives, there are no sound around the multiple ten Chinese miles around it. Perhaps we will be able to find some rare crickets in this spot."

* 1 Chinese mile = 0.5 kilometer.

Action point to go into this quest is 1, indicated by the "-1" in blue.

7qSEZvQ.png

Alright, now we are on the travel screen. Our objective is obviously going from the start to the final circle on the right side of the map. Quest is not as complicated as battle. We only need to learn what's on the bottom part of the screen. On the lower right, we see that the 7 quest attributes are finally in use. Let's go from left to right:

Delicateness: The ability to find and solve secrets to hidden area.
Cleverness: The ability to recognize unusual places or items; ability to find treasures and item.
Water Prowess: The ability to survive and explore aquatic surface.
Braveness: The ability to not fear and challenge all kind of dangers.
Willpower: The ability to endure extreme danger.
Coolness: The ability to keep calm and analyze in the face of danger and complex situation.
Luck: The ability to be helped by God(s) almighty.

Besides that is our adventure roulette. Different skills are used in different adventure. The passing numbers are also different. For this skill difficulty 1 adventure, the skill parameter is between 10-50. Our "Knowledge"(which is more about misc. artistry skills, as indicated by the picture of someone performing a shadow play) is 54 so we have a free pass.

Movements are decided by our seven adventure attributes Essentially, we will be moving to the square we have the highest attributes of. So in our first split, we will surely go down to the Willpower tile because our willpower of 12 is higher than our braveness of 5. We will roll the dice to decide if our movement is a pass or a fail. We then get different reward/punishment upon succeeding or failing the roll. Tile of different kind provide different reward and punishment. In my opinion, anything is fine aside from braveness. Braveness usually ends in a fight, which IMO is just a hassle to do whereas other tiles just give you stuff. Do note that our party member do influence our adventure stats. Our current stats are the average of the two members. So if we have a high amount of potential members, we can analyze the whole landscape and fine-tune our team to find the best route. We can only adjust our team on the first tile; the composition is locked for the entire quest once we moved. One more thing, we can manipulate our step if we wants to. Notice the Chinese characters above the seven attributes with X1. We can spend 1 of the bonus point at any time to give any attribute infinite for a single movement. This ensures that we will go to the tile we want unless it's two tiles of the same kind, then it's always a random 50% chance where we go.

yjrwuSa.png

Either way, let's move! First step, we are able to heal our wound after finding a calm spot in the area. One more move without a split and wee found 50 wood. Notice the double arrows? This is a two-way tile in which we can move from and to. For instance, like the ugly arrows I drew, we can move up and up again. This is different from the one-way tile that only goes one way. Despite those tiles being two-way, we cannot move back to them once we moved into them to prevent an infinite loop. It does provide us with more options as to how we move around the map. We are not following that path though. In a cricket quest, the most important symbol is the luck symbol, because it increases the chance of finding a higher tier cricket if we pass our movement to the tile and this quest is all about the cricket. All other tiles are just minor gains we get along the way so they are whatever. We don't need to manipulate anything since we are very delicate. We might be rapist-in-the-making but we are always gentle with our victims. That's our policy. We got 38 stones and then we got our buff -- 10% increase of scoring a good cricket.

vG3RRuS.png

haTi2vU.png

jcZhj4D.png

Luck of the dice told us to go top, so we eventually got into a battle with more annoying monkeys, which we easily won.

Hcyf4nm.png

And we reached our destionation. Lai Zehong crouched and finally got his way to the sweet spot. Cricket chirped just by his side, loud and clear, and he felt confidently that he could get one with a good swipe of the net.

MqVEG7I.png

Alright, this is the cricket capture mini-game. We have 30 seconds and crickets will pop out of any of the items on the screen. In the screenshot above, we can see a clear sound wave on the first wood of the second row. That's an example of a place we should click at the right time. There will be multiple sound waves and noises all around the screen at a time and it is up to the player to decide which to go from and to time it well. By default, the larger the sound wave, the higher tier the crickets are hidden inside the spot. However, there are "pretenders". Pretenders are super loud and emits a very big sound wave like a top tier cricket but they are not. I read that they have a distinctive noise so someone with good ears can easily recongize them and not be fooled by the big wave -- but I don't. I never had the noise awareness, like I am not going to find the hidden instrument backdrop sounds and whatever when I listen to a music track whereas a well-trained musician can easily recognize those. I guess learning music or just being a good listener is helpful in this game if you want to be a cricket master like Ash Ketchum. I just bank on my luck. When there's like 5-10 sounds all around my ears and in different frequency, timing and such, no way in hell I am able to recognize shit. I just bet on the bigger wave usually. Do note that you only have a single chance in this mini-game. One misclick at the wrong moment and you are screwed -- quest gone and no cricket for you. My mistake is usually clicking it too slow. The wave is very quick and you usually have to time it to click it in the middle of emission. A common mistake is to click it when the wave is dispersing, and you get nothing at that time. It's tougher than it sounds though. Unless you have good reflexes or have long time FPS experience, you are likely too slow. What I did usually is I just wait on the spot I want for the next sound wave and I pre-click. The risk of that is if the cricket is not there anymore, I missed. Crickets come and go so no spot will have sound for the whole 30 seconds period.

s9fV0GF.png

QgDtMg9.png

We got a teal tier(which if I am not wrong, is tier 6) cricket, "Squared-Wing Purple" and 2 so-called pretenders with our first attempt. The pretender picture looks like grasshopper to me but the description says it's female crickets, which has no fighting capability and this game has no cricket breeding. So, it's just there to piss you off and serve as a gift to other people. In a bad catch, you will get all pretenders and no cricket. We at least get one here. From the description, we can see its attributes:

Stamina: HP, you lose when it goes to 0
Willpower: Morale(works as mental HP), you lose when it goes to 0; the species has 70 willpower usually but this one is less good than the average species, so -5
Momentum: Mental stat, deal willpower damage
Power: Body stat, affect the melee exchange, like rate of a followup attack and block(so, kind of like agility, I guess, but worded that way because it's more of a wrestling/grappling match)
Teeth: Attack stat, affect physical damage
Age: Current age and maximum age in bracket; cricket dies on maximum age

Either way, there's not a lot to do in this period of time so we will go for another cricket quest. It's time to catch them all!

yMEhgmX.png

For our second capture, we got a purple one(grade 4 I believe), known as "Circle-Head Heavy Teal". Now this one is a solid beater.

bXAXDep.png

And that's all for a quick September. For October, the last month of this newbie period, we will challenge the monkey king who tried to mess with peace of our valley. Hey, this is our home turf, and we ain't giving that to these monkeys!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom