Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Play StarDrive - StarDrive Closed Beta keys

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by tiagocc0, Feb 9, 2013.

1. knightley Educated

knightley
    Yeah, those bastards! :kingcomrade:

^ Top  
  2. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Good, you earned their trust. Now ask them to make it turn-based.
    :neveraskedforthis:

^ Top  
  3. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    It's a suicide mission!

^ Top  
  4. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Incline or Death!

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    Damned.. I hate when it comes to this.

:dead:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    For a second I though you were talking about a download of some closed beta action, but I guess that's ok too. Just itching to try this out, I like a lot of where they are going with it, and Endless Space was really disappointing. Real-time doesn't look as bad as I had feared, either, maybe more like EU, HOI etc.

^ Top  
  8. asongforsimeon Educated

asongforsimeon
    Can't say I like this. Cheesy races (Samurai Bear? Really?), smallest and most uninteresting tech tree ever, colony management ripped off GalCiv, way less customization options than Master of Orion II... not convinced at all. Can't understand why the espionage screen say turns for missions when the game is real time.

^ Top  
  9. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    It is realtime but it goes in turns, they are they but it's not you who press next turn.
    Well it is beta, so they may improve everything you mentioned later.

Check some videos from Devildogff:

^ Top  
  10. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Thanks, those are actually the videos I've been going through on youtube, that's what gave me hope. It also seems like the developers are willing to listen/change/fix the sore spots in the game. It could be good. At least it has room to grow.

^ Top  
  11. KoolNoodles Arcane

KoolNoodles
    Also on further viewing, combat reminds me a lot of AI War, which is not a bad thing. The ground combat needs some love though, not sure I like the direction they took that in. Too simple, too small. Landing/Takeoff of transports looks annoying as hell too.

^ Top  
  12. knightley Educated

knightley
    How is the micro-management situation after one's own empire reached a certain size handled?

^ Top  
  13. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    I haven't got a big empire yet, planning on playing a bit more on sunday, but if the bugs persist I will have to wait the next patch to try again

I kind of liked the troops, but yeah, we need a button to launch them from a planet and to land them too
    the surface looks horrible, doesn't fit with the game and it seems it just placeholder graphics all around

^ Top  
  14. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    Sorry guys, haven't had the time to play the game again.

Some news: http://www.iceberg-games.com/index.php?dispatch=news.list

^ Top  
  15. DakaSha Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    so apparently i should be keeping my jewgold

^ Top  
  16. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    yeah, I would wait for a more finished game
    but if you sure you want to try it then buying now or buying later won't matter anyway

^ Top  
  17. knightley Educated

knightley
    Hmmm, how many sales did they make and anywhere i can read the feedback from people who bought it?

^ Top  
  18. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    Don't know but I think you could buy the alpha version on desura for a time, then they made a kickstarter campaign and now they are on sale again on steam.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1319847883/stardrive-a-4x-action-strategy-game-for-the-pc
    http://www.desura.com/games/stardrive

Here is a preview from someone I know:
    http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2012/08/stardrive-hands-on-beta-preview/
    And an interview:
    http://www.spacesector.com/blog/201...drive-kickstarter-and-indie-game-development/

^ Top  
  19. knightley Educated

knightley
    thanks, will have a look.

^ Top  
  20. Corporate_Jew_Master Arcane

Corporate_Jew_Master
    Bought it on steam, the game is a somewhat simplified distant worlds but with a far smoother UI and better, more fluid combat.

For example I designed cruisers with mass broadsides and rail guns and set my fleet formation to lines as in 18th century naval combat. The AI lost the first three naval battles but in the third they actually brought in new heavy cruisers with lots of broadsides as well (!!!) and there was a terrible grind that left us both suing for peace.

Ground combat is gonna need some work and vehicles such as spider tanks simply rape everything, which has to be corrected imo. Colony growth and maintenance requires you to keep them in supply by using freighters to transfer food, building materials and more colonists. The economy is oversimplified though which kinda puts me off.

Overall a 7-7.5/10 game but it has the potential to be so much more. It's in beta stage still but I've seen enough betas in my life to know that things might get only a little bit better if not stay the same.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    Been playing the beta after almost forgetting about this game. I still think it's a bit shit, though it's not a bad attempt for a one man team. Really like the art, does stand out a huge lot considering the game as a whole looks very unimpressive.
    Gameplay wise the game feels shallow and doesn't have that 4x addiction I had with most of the others. It's way too simplified for my tastes and there's some big flaws I don't think will be gone by release. tbh I kind of regret having backed this project back when the kickstarter craze started. On one hand there's never too many 4x games, however this one ended up not being what I expected/imagined. It feels original (though mostly because it's basically a mish mash of various previous 4x games) but just I can't get into it.

^ Top  
  22. knightley Educated

knightley
    A bunch of these these kickstarter projects are bound to fail, motivation, big publisher hate speech and crowd funding in no way guarantees a successful project.
    It better not be "Wasteland 2" though. :hmmm:
    Or....
    There is not a damn thing I can do about it. :rage:

^ Top  
  23. Rellin Novice

Rellin
    Just wanted to say that I love this game. I think this is my first post on these forums, and I am making it because I am such a fanboi of it right now. I have not felt this way about a game in a very very long time. The Dev is a machine and is doing a great job every single day improving and fixing stuff. The game was in the Steam top 10 sales list for a few days, think it hit number 6. About 900 people playing it on Steam throughout the day. The game is done enough to be well worth the purchase now, especially to get the discount. Anyway, just wanted to spread my fanboiness here. I personally consider this a massive incline. if you wait, I understand, but keep an eye on it!!!

^ Top  
  24. tiagocc0 Arcane

tiagocc0
    Yeah, some should probably wait the final product, good to hear that it's being improved. ;)

^ Top  
  25. Corporate_Jew_Master Arcane

Corporate_Jew_Master
    It still needs more depth, especially in the economic and political sectors.

Best thing about it is the UI though. Only reason that keeps me playing Stardrive instead of Distant Worlds. That and the far smoother space combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.