Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

okashii

Novice
No mods. Default difficulty. No official expansions or plugins.

Let's see how well this award winning* RPG of the year 2002 holds on his own. :smug:

* In September 2003, Morrowind received the dubious honour of ranking 21st on GameSpy's "25 Most Overrated Games" list, for its "buggy, repetitive, and dull gameplay". [Wikipedia.org]

Bring it bitch!

We begin our adventure as a soon to be released prisoner arriving by ship in Seyda Neen.

"Stand up, there you go. You were dreaming. What's your name?"

Jiub seems friendly, but for all we know he could be a murderous thief, so we decide not to share our name with him.

You need to type in your name.

*presses space key & clicks ok* Your move Mr. Todd

"Well, not even the last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go."

Us? :smug:

We follow the guard up on deck where we see two places from which we could escape from the ship:

The empty space in the railing on the right.

Or run off the plank connecting the bridge with the ship.

I don't think so..*casts invisible wall*

:x That is so low.

Defeated by lazy and cheap design, we follow the linear path of character creation.

"You finally arrived, but our records don't show from where."

"Great I'm sure you'll fit right in. Follow me up to the office and they'll finish your release."

"Ahh yes, we've been expecting you. You'll have to be recorded before you're officially released. there are a few ways we can do this, and the choice is yours."

We chose to fill out the form ourselves and leave as many blanks as possible so that we are harder to track down if we commit any crimes in the future.

"Show your papers to the Captain when you exit to get your release fee."

"Continue through to the next building, and talk to Sellus Gravius."

What the hell? Why is this door locked? I need to go through it to continue.

It won't open unless you take the ring from the barrel on the left.

Wow, it sounds like a very important ring. Maybe I can't even finish the main quest without it...

:x Fuck you and your ring Todd! I'm out of here...

We jump through the wall on the right in this corner and enter the building from the front.

"Welcome to Morrowind. When you leave this office you are free..."

:yeah:

"...free to perform duties for the Emperor Uriel Septim VII"

:rage:

"Take this package to Caius Cosades in Balmora. Here's 87 gold and directions on how to get there."

Finally! We regain full controll over our character and our destiny.

Updated my journal.

Let's see what I wrote...

Hmm "...I must..." We'll see about that Mr. Journal :smug:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
House Telvanni is only House with fun quests. Besides, their Councilors are all pretty :obviously:

Tigranes

Arcane
For the LP to last we want the OP to enjoy what he's doing. Don't see what's so important about voting, it's not a tactical RPG and as long as we see some levitating, Telvanni and running from guards and jumping off the tiers of Vivec into the lakes, we're all good.

Man, I want to listen to the theme again...

DraQ

Arcane
House Telvanni is only House with fun quests. Besides, their Councilors are all pretty :obviously:
I don't know about :obviously:,
but they are certainly pretty :rpgcodex:.

Mistress Therana is even pretty
12169.jpg

Cenobyte

Prophet
Funny start. Never knew you could walk through this wall there.

Your skill choices are a little bit weird, though, but it's your game.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Yeah, but every Morrowind player knows that it's most important to push End asap, so he should have included at least one skill linked to this stat. And only 30 points on End itself is also fairly low, even if this only really matters in the beginning.

Nevertheless, I guess you're right in the end, he should have no real probelms to play through the game. But let's wait until he comes into actual combat and see how he performs there.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, but every Morrowind player knows that it's most important to push End asap
So they would have the maximum possible amount of HP long after they actually retire the character due to doing everything that was to be done and/or reaching divine power anyway?

What's the point oof all those HP if all the other stats actually do something apart from helping you withstand a beating at the point when it still actually matters?

Then again, I'm the kind of player that always avoids pumping this one stat that increments the HP almost religiously so I usually end up with glass cannons of sort, no matter the game.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
More replies than the Daggerfall LP?

:decline:

(Yeah, I am still butthurt about abandoning it after immediate vapourization of people's interests in the LP.)

Black

Arcane
No brainstorming %pcname?

No voting for race, class and sign?

No asking codices for decishuns what to do next?

:decline:

Also, no shadurrrs. Someone cannot into config.

Because it doesn't matter as it all plays the same.

DraQ

Arcane
Your IQ has indeed dropped, it's just that it's not because of Morrowind.

Sure, if you grind all the skills and abuse the fuck out of trainers due to broken economy then it'll eventually play all the same, but what non-moron even plays it this way?
"I think I'll engage in repetitive, mind numbing chores just to ensure I'll have no fun whatsoever ploughing through the game with my ludicrously overpowered character, oh boy, I see some jolly good time ahead of me!".

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Sure, if you grind all the skills and abuse the fuck out of trainers due to broken economy then it'll eventually play all the same, but what non-moron even plays it this way?
"I think I'll engage in repetitive, mind numbing chores just to ensure I'll have no fun whatsoever ploughing through the game with my ludicrously overpowered character, oh boy, I see some jolly good time ahead of me!".

Maybe some people actually enjoy breaking the game this way, and find the end result, if not the actual process itself, amusing?

Just saying. :M

DraQ

Arcane

Maybe some people actually enjoy breaking the game this way, and find the end result, if not the actual process itself, amusing?

Just saying. :M
I can see it if the game is actually hard to break and discovering all the exploitable loopholes requires quite a bit ingenuity - yeah, that can be satisfying.
Morrowind, however, is a bethesda's game.

okashii

Novice

Outside Seyda Neen, we pay for a silt strider to take us safely to Balmora.

We enter the mage guild

and teleport to the mage guild in Caldera for a small fee.

We follow the path north-west from Caldera untill we come across Pemenie.

Scanning...MATCH

I need your clothes, your boots and your enchanted axe.

We stab her to death using bound dagger spell,

loot her corpse then dress her in our clothes and plant the package along with the directions on her body.

That won't fool me. You cannot escape your destiny.

By destiny you mean grinding levels in your "innovative character development system" and completing copious amounts of boring fed-ex quests to make the game seem like a hiking simulator? :smug:

Exactly. The prophecy will be fulfilled.

We run back to Caldera and sell the axe to the Creeper so we can afford more traveling expenses.

Back to the mage guild in Balmora to buy Soul Trap spell

and teleport to the mage guild in Vivec.

In the vacant room of the guild we find 3 common soul gems.

We use bound dagger, summon ancestral ghost and soul trap spells

and sell the filled gems to the Creeper for 4.000 each.

Time to do some shopping. For those of you fortunate to be unfamiliar with this..game, the traders restock the amount of money they have every 24 hours and restock some items as soon as we barter with them again.

We stop at the trader in Caldera for a moment to buy an amulet of recall.

Back in Balmora mage guild we buy a levitate and open spells,

a cheap soul gem to make a belt of levitation

and 3 scrolls of Drathis' Winter Guest.

Still in Balmora we visit the alchemist

buy a potion of mark which we shall drink at the mages guild to make traveling easier and faster,

and 20 potions of Fortify Health.

We leave Balmora and travel north, first to Ald'ruhn

then to Gnisis.

Using our belt of levitation we fly next to a small pond, where on the right Tavynu Tedran is waiting.

We use our Dragon Skin power for some extra protection and quickly kill him using 3 frost damage scrolls,

take his his Amulet of Shadows and escape using recall.

Next we teleport to the mage guild in Sadrith Mora.

We exit the guild through the stairs leading up on the roof of the Wolverine Hall tower and levitate to

Telvanni Council House

We go downstairs and talk to the Dunmer enchanter.

"Greeting traveler, take a look at my wares and tell me what you seek."

12-gauge auto-loader, .45 long slide, with laser sighting, phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range.

"Hey, just what you see pal."

10x AGM-114 Hellfire missiles.

Now...we are ready..

Ready to immerse yourself in "the most detailed game world ever created"*, "enjoy hundreds of hours of gameplay as you explore Vvardenfell and its many exotic locations, including epic dungeons, detailed cities, and vast landscapes."*? :smug:

*Morrowind box art quotes

Yes Howard...we will immerse ourselves..
:mob:
..in fight against the :decline:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's your LP, but...

I think you might be metagaming here and skipping right to the parts that make you powerful. Which every Morrowind fan is more than capable of doing.

And I was rather hoping to see a LP with some pretense of never having played the game before. With some sense of pre-existing knowledge of the player NOT being the most powerful tool in the character's hands.

DraQ

Arcane
It's your LP, but...

I think you might be metagaming here and skipping right to the parts that make you powerful. Which every Morrowind fan is more than capable of doing.

And I was rather hoping to see a LP with some pretense of never having played the game before. With some sense of pre-existing knowledge of the player NOT being the most powerful tool in the character's hands.
:bro:

I fucking brofisted Wyrmie's post.
:what:

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Reciprocal agreement is there.

Of course, I don't believe we can make okashii wipe out all his memories. The instinct to powergame probably can't be tempered.

So a Morrowind LP works best under someone who is both capable and yet a) never played Morrowind or b) played Morrowind so long ago that he can't remember it. Never mind. We shall work with what we have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom