Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play... the Muriad! (4X Grand Strategy)

anus_pounder

Arcane
Some of us start out next to each other ? That can't be good for anybody. :/

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It will be interesting to see whether I have what it takes to guide and protect my people. I have an eerie feeling that my culture is starting with a neighbor.. :M

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
root said:
can I just send over a cultchoor tribe and not play? I just wanna see it rape someone

I guess if you're a gambling man you can wait until 1-2 more people besides me send in backup civilizations and plan to not have to actually play yours at any point.

Although a truly monocled gentleman would realize that hands-on raep is the only tasteful kind. :rpgcodex:

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Chronicle Entry – 0RE to 50RE (Recorded Era)

Map Update

MuriaT0.jpg

Map Placement Key

Mobians

97 – The Black River Delta

Costalians

27 - Hiradi

Amalechites

119 - Elam

Emphythines

100 – Longinia (Longinius)

Inui

16 - Murom

Panoplites

78 – Meir Ginis

Jomnii

93 - Norfjord

Oxheads

82 – Many-Calves

Much of our knowledge of Muria’s ancient history remains hazy. Scant evidence is available to modern scholars of that formative period, when the disparate tribes of the land began coalescing into something recognizably more significant. Some of the earliest records we have been able to recover were dug up in the Costalian-settled Hiradi: instructions for seasonal irrigation in a region devoid of major bodies of water, inscribed on village stones. These are believed to have been compiled several centuries prior to the Recorded Era, and show just how sophisticated the early Costalians were, with regard to agricultural thinking. Similarly, the Panoplites of Meir Ginis left behind stone tablets detailing particular religious ceremonies, probably shortly after the Costalian stones were inscribed.

Due to the uncertainty of pre-historic knowledge, our Chronicle will begin in 0RE, or the year in which Longinius was officially declared the Emphythine capital. This is a convenient starting point, as the Emphtyhines carefully and – from our perspective – very helpfully recorded the event, thereafter preserving it on papyrus, and making it widely available. A number of versions survive to this day. The Highriver Ceremony remains a classic document, and a convenient reference point for today’s chronicler. This, after all, was a key period in Murian history. Not only were the Emphythines officially tying themselves to their largest urban center - which, at the time, was likely the largest urban center in the known world – but Onega the One-Eyed, the Messiah of the One Goddess, the Mother of All, was solidifying her grip over the Inui communities of Murom. Between 0RE and 12RE, when Onega is believed to have died from fever (if not ascended to heaven, as the Inui believed), her messianic message spread like wildfire throughout the realm of the Inui.

The matriarchs of the Inui either joined the cult of Onega outright, or were quickly subdued by Onega’s allies. The Cult of the One Eyed Lady became the dominant force in Inui religious thought thereafter. Hundreds of men were sacrificed in its many festivals between 12RE and 50RE. Meanwhile, hundreds of miles to the north-east, the heavily wooded territory of the Costalians was experiencing strong population growth based on highly developed farming practices. Though access to water was relatively limited, the ingenuity of the Costalians allowed them to utilize irrigation channels and wells to enable large-scale crop growing and the maintenance of great herds of livestock. That ingenuity was attributed to the legendary Tiagon Adelric, the Polymath of the Hillside Grove, whose engineering skills made the irrigation channels possible. The number and size of Costalian villages began exploding around 20RE, as a result, and some of the woodland tribes of the region surrendered to steady Costalian progress. This was so, despite the lack of an identifiable central leadership among the Costalian villages, which are purported to have governed themselves throughout this period.

In Elam – located on the south-eastern expanse of Muria bordering the Parched Land – the savage internecine wars of the early Amalechites were finally winding down, with the Council of the Baal’im (the Council of the Priest-Kings) triumphing over all opposition by 31RE. The bloody warfare had left a legacy of zealousness, callous disregard for life and incredible toughness on the Amalechites. Their religious fervor quickly gained a reputation, and the few remaining contemporary accounts of Amalechite society from an outsider perspective describe a savage, clannish people with a fervent belief in the Twin Pantheons; the Gods of Heaven and the Gods of the Underworld – as well as the bejeweled Priest-Kings who ruled over the believers with an iron fist.

Northwest of the Amalechites, along the Emerald Coast, the priests of the Panoplites ruled over a people deeply concerned with trade and the accumulation of wealth. Panoplite merchants were dominant in Meir Ginis and the surrounding region by 40RE, connecting the various Panoplite communities with a steady flow of goods. They were also the first people to use coins as currency – the earliest of which were inscribed with representations of the numerous spirit animals of Panoplite religious beliefs. Many such coins were destined to end up in the tombs of prominent priests. Following the bulging moneybags of the Panoplite merchants were Panoplite ideas and religion, and these soon gained a regional prominence.

Finally, the Black River, in Muria’s northwest, gave rise to a number of cultures. The most powerful among these were the Emphythines and the Mobians in Longinia and the Black River Delta, respectively. These bordering cultures were both highly urban, with the slums of Longinius housing up to 40,000 people by 30RE. The Mobians, for their part, had a larger number of significant townships, which were well constructed and more defensible than the sprawling Emphythine capital. Both cultures were very developed, with a cultural output that made them the envy of the region. In a very real sense, they were in direct competition for sovereignty over the Black River, and this conflict was in full swing by 45RE, when a number of small-scale clashes took place between the urban militias of the Mobian Sunking and the priesthood of the Empyhthines.

Complicating matters was the upriver presence of the Jomnii raiders in Norfjord. At times, the riverine-based Jomnii warbands masqueraded – and often authentically played the role of – traders, but they were just as happy, if not moreso, to sack Mobian and Empythine villages along the river, if they smelled the opportunity to do so. The records show that at least five Mobian villages were burned, and hundreds of people killed between 25RE and 35RE. The Emphythines suffered to a lesser extent, as their population was concentrated on the Frusca to the east, but they did suffer the predations of the Jomnii.

Orders required for Turn 1, due by Friday

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The set-up turn took forever, the Barbarian had to keep referencing the set-up sheets over the smallest details...

It should not take too long for the various cultures to gain a 'voice' or become fairly identifiable.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
It should be kept in mind that the map does not show every potential obstacle to land taking. And, generally, a lack of opposition is not always a good thing. Food for thought!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Land is only really useful if you cultivate it, though. What use have warriors and traders for land?

Also, I guess most everyone really love their theocracies. The northwest looks like it's going to have VERY interesting times.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, I meant northeast. :/

Also what about those oxheads?

laclongquan

Arcane
Actually, no. Mine is more like background tribe, target waiting for your conquer/conquest/expand, whathaveyou. Totally depend on Conan to tell my characteristics or not. My guess on Not, cause it's spoiler.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Secret? Not necessarily secret, but you should avoid posting your orders or attribute points. Many things will become evident through gameplay. But feel free to talk in general terms.

The Ox-heads are a reserve tribe. Information about them will only be published as it becomes pertinent to the Chronicle. Similarly, the Jomnii are also a reserve tribe, but have had an immediate effect on the situation in the NE.

Non-human tribes on the map will remain hidden until they become active.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This talk of non-human tribes makes me curious. I foresee quite a bit of expansion here in the early part of the LP, so maybe they'll come into play soon. :smug:

Peter

Arcane
Good stuff :salute: One recommendation though. You should outline/colour the areas that are controlled by the civs. It would make the map more readable.

Now we gotta wait another couple of days for an update :x

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan was thinking of using the little icons as indicators of who controls what - does that not work?

EDIT:

Correct, laclongquan. The most advanced society on the Murian continent would be the equivalent to circa 10th century BC Hellenic societies. That is not to say that the Bronze Age is a long-term reality.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The icons work just fine if you ask me. When conflict inevitably occurs though, do you then intend to stick two icons in the same territory, or do you have something different planned?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom