Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: The Shivah (Finished)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Erebus said:
What happens if you climb over the edge without having tried to grab the gun (and thus been shot) twice ?

Pretty much nothing. You can climb back onto the balcony and proceed with the gungrabbing.

Angthoron

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Elhoim said:
(also, can you do an alternate version with a merciful rabbi including Joe's?)

Sure, I had it planned already. After I'm finished with this, I'll do a bonus update featuring all possible endings.

Sweet, then ice the bastard!

Erebus

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Pretty much nothing. You can climb back onto the balcony and proceed with the gungrabbing.

But I guess it's not possible to fight the Evil Rabbi without two bullets in your arms ?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
jew-bwa-ha-ha.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Erebus said:
What happens if you climb over the edge without having tried to grab the gun (and thus been shot) twice ?

Checked this again, you can't grab the gun - when you click the option, Stone says Zelig's too far and he can't reach it.

But I guess it's not possible to fight the Evil Rabbi without two bullets in your arms ?

That is correct.

Anyway, folks, since most of you (6 out of 10) voted for rabbinical judgement of Zelig, here's what happens:

Shivah1216.jpg

Shivah1217.jpg

Mazel Tov indeed, rabbi Zelig.

He didn't utter a sound. He merely looked at me with that knowing smirk on his face. Then he disappeared into the cold, Manhattan skyline

Shivah1220.jpg

Shivah1221.jpg

Shivah1222.jpg

Shivah1223.jpg

Shivah1224.jpg

Rabbi Stone has just left the building!

And we're back...

Shivah1225.jpg

in the synagogue.

The weeks sped by. Jack's bestowal arrived in the mail, and I was able to appease all my debts. I kept waiting for the police to knock on my door again, but they seem to have forgotten all about me. Amos Zelig's death was, ironically, ruled as a suicide. Has anything changed for me? Not really. Back to the grind. (stop playing MMOs then, fool) Another week, another Shabbos

stone1.jpg
Thank you Cantor Kaplan.

Debts still pile up, but it won't be a problem as long as Jack's money holds. After that... it's best not to think about it.

Shivah1237.jpg

Shivah1238.jpg

Shivah1239.jpg

Shivah1240.jpg

Shivah1241.jpg

That's it folks! Congratulations, you managed to lead Rabbi Stone to an 'ok' ending - it's not the worst one you can get, but it's definitely not the best either.

As promised, later I will post a bonus update with all the other endings, I'll probably do it on friday, so stay tuned.

Also, as a reward for finishing the game, we're given a list of audio recordings containing bloopers from the voice actors, just how cool is that?

Shivah1250.jpg

Also, I think it's no surprise that Rabbi Stone is voiced by a guy named ABE GOLDFARB :smug:

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Extreme collar-grabbing solutions can never lead to a "bad" ending :smug:

Also, how exactly did he explain the two bullet wounds in the arms to the hospital doctors ? Unless of course he used his rabbi healing powers...

ghostdog said:
... rabbi healing powers...

His stab wounds healed while he walked over to Rabbi Z's place.

Dumbed down health regeneration shit boring banal biowareish shit with boring sprinkles.

... I can't wait to see the alternate endings.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was incredibly gripping. I actually learned about Judaism. What a great game and great LP! MOAR

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know, in the options menu you can turn on something called Kibbitz mode

Shivah1285.jpg

Shivah1286.jpg

Wonder if that'll do anyth...

Shivah1287.jpg

HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT THING

dave.jpg
Hi guys, I'm Dave Gilbert...

Oh... Well then, that's some silly dev commentary mode then, screw it.

As promised, here are all the other endings:

Shivah1315.jpg

Showing mercy to Zelig.

Shivah1316.jpg

Shivah1317.jpg

Shivah1318.jpg

Shivah1319.jpg

Shivah1320.jpg

Shivah1321.jpg

Jack's bestowal arrived and my debt collectors were satisfied for the time being. Amos Zelig was picked up by the police, after an anonymous tip told them what lay in his Upper East Side appartment. Then I received a visitor...

stone2.jpg
You're JOKING.

cop.jpg
I told you I'd be back.

stone2.jpg
I attacked HIM?

cop.jpg
That's what he's saying. Held him against the balcony and threatened to throw him off?

stone2.jpg
He had a GUN.

cop.jpg
That nobody can find...

stone2.jpg
What about mrs Lauder?

cop.jpg
Yeah, what ABOUT mrs Lauder? It's a mighty strony coincidence that that particular body was found at the scene, eh?

stone7.jpg
It wasn't like that! Amos Zelig is a murderer! A lowlife!

cop.jpg
Sure he is. And I'm sure you have witnesses to back you up on this?

stone7.jpg
... I can explain everything.

cop.jpg
I bet you can. Come with me and you can 'explain' down at the station.

stone1.jpg
I don't believe this...

Shivah1344.jpg

It just proves the old axiom right. "No good deed goes unpunished". Jack's money should cover my legal fees, I just hope there's some left over when this is finished

Shivah1348.jpg

Now, we show mercy to DeMarco:

Shivah1361.jpg

Shivah1362.jpg

The train clattered off into the flickering distance, and Joe DeMarco remained unconcious, but alive.

stone1.jpg
Perhaps you still have some purpose to fill. I've done all I can, the rest is up to God.

Shivah1367.jpg

We know what happens here.

Shivah1027.jpg

zelig2.jpg
BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA UPDATED MY JOURNAL.

Shivah1369.jpg

stone1.jpg
Why do you want to do this, Rabbi Zelig?

When suddenly...

Shivah1373.jpg

JOE EX MACHINA.

joe1.jpg
ZELIG! You! You son of a...

zelig2.jpg
DeMarco, you IDIOT! It's not enough you bungle your assignment. You show up HERE? Did anyone follow you?

joe1.jpg
I want my money!

zelig2.jpg
You want what you deserve? Fine.

Shivah1382.jpg

Shivah1383.jpg

Shivah1384.jpg

Shivah1385.jpg

zelig2.jpg
What? Are you going to say he didn't deserve it?

I took a quick glance at Rajshree. I couldn't help but think a close call had been made.

stone1.jpg
He certainly served his purpose.

zelig2.jpg
Now move, all this bloodshed sickens me

Short-term memory evil rabbi ftw.

Now, we throw him off:

Shivah1391.jpg

He didn't utter a sound. He merely looked at me with that knowing smirk on his face. Then he disappeared into the cold, Manhattan skyline

Shivah1395.jpg

She looked at me with downcast eyes. I quickly untied her.

lauder1.jpg
So it's over?

stone1.jpg
It's over, mrs Lauder. Your husband's murdered is dead.

lauder1.jpg
That was... How did... how did you do that?

stone1.jpg
It had to be done. Let's go.

lauder1.jpg
Rabbi Stone... Nobody knows this happened, the police don't know we're here. I don't want to be questioned about this. And I think... I think... I think you need to stay away from me. Whatever you felt you needed to do, it's done, there's no changing it. I appreciate all you've done, but there's a darkness in you (AN ECHO IN THE FORCE @_@ ) that I just don't want in my life. Jack wouldn't want it, and neither do I.

stone1.jpg
I understand, let's get going.

And the ending is the same as throwing him over without letting Joe go.

Shivah1442.jpg

Let's knock the old git out.

Shivah1445.jpg

Her eyes shined with relief. I quickly untied her.

lauder1.jpg
So it's over?

stone1.jpg
It's over mrs Lauder. We'll leave Rabbi Zelig for the police.

lauder1.jpg
You're... you're hurt! You're bleeding all over!

stone1.jpg
It'll be okay, mrs Lauder.

lauder1.jpg
Okay? You were SHOT

stone1.jpg
It's all right. Let's just get out of here.

lauder1.jpg
Well, all right. If you say so. Are you SURE you are okay?

stone1.jpg
I'm fine, mrs Lauder.

lauder1.jpg
Call me Raj, please. After all this, I think you deserve it. But we're going to the hospital, and no argument.

stone8.jpg
... Sure

Happy rabbi is happy ^____^

Shivah1465.jpg

The weeks sped by. Jack's bestowal arrived in the mail, and I was able to appease all my debts. Thanks to an anonymous tip, the police picked up Amos Zelig before he regained conciousness. He even tried to tell them that I attacked him, but thankfully, Rajshree testified on my behalf. Back to the grind. Another week, another Shabbos. Debts still pile up, but it won't be a problem as long as Jack's money holds. After that... it's best not to think about it.

stone8.jpg
Is it only in the aftermath of pain that we're justified in questioning God's fairness? Just how much pain must occur to legitimately raise the question "Why do bad things happen to good people?".

Shivah1483.jpg

Shivah1484.jpg

stone8.jpg
Just how much pain...

Then it hit me

stone8.jpg
God might not seem fair, we may not always feel connected to him. That is, we may feel lonely, and often do. Yet, the underlying reality of our lives is that we're ALWAYS connected, whether we feel it or not. Whether we accept it or deny it, the connection is there. And since we're connected, we're responsible. Battling for goodness is how we give our lives meaning. Maybe there are no answers, ultimately, we may never find that elusive truth. Yet ultimately, we may find something else: meaning, significance and fulfillment.

Shivah1494.jpg

Shivah1495.jpg

Shivah1496.jpg

And now for some random screens of Rabbi Stone dying...

To Joe DeMarco:

Shivah1349.jpg

Shivah1350.jpg

Shivah1351.jpg

The sharp pinprick of metal tore into my ribs like butter. I had no time to even cry out before everything turned black. They say that your life passes before your eyes. All I could see was Joe's leering face, laughing at me as he drove the blade home. As my body lay cooling on the concrete subway platform, I couldn't help but wonder... what if I could go back and do that again? Was this death inevitable? As a rabbi, didn't I have an advantage over a mere street punk? I guess I'll never know.

To Zelig's gun:

Shivah1254.jpg

Shivah1255.jpg

Shivah1256.jpg

Shivah1257.jpg

Shivah1258.jpg

stone7.jpg
Holy... you shot her!

zelig2.jpg
What? You're surprised? I gave you ample warning. So are you going to jump? Or am I going to shoot you too? I warn you, I won't make your death as quick as hers.

Shivah1265.jpg

stone1.jpg
You'll never get away with this!

zelig2.jpg
Stone, you're in no position to argue with me. This gun? Untraceable, I'll say it's yours. And with your troubled financial situation and your synagogue in tatters... I doubt the police would question your actions too strongly.

Shivah1271.jpg

stone1.jpg
You vile, murdering lowlife! You can go to...

Shivah1274.jpg

Shivah1275.jpg

Shivah1276.jpg

Shivah1277.jpg

zelig2.jpg
I just had the carpet cleaned, too.

I had solved the case, but at the cost of my life. Zelig was a detestable man, but he would go on living. As for me, I couldn't help but wonder... What if I could go back and do that again? A man like that shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets, let alone run a synagogue. I guess I'll never know

To Zelig's balcony:

Shivah1292.jpg

Shivah1293.jpg

They say a man's life passes before his eyes at times like these. But all I could see were the high-rises of Manhattan, crowding themselves around me like a concrete womb. The harsh, unyielding pavement comes ever closer, and I couldn't help but wonder... why did I jump? Why did I choose suicide over doing the honorable thing? I guess I'll never know...

To Zelig's Jew-jitsu:

Shivah1301.jpg

Shivah1303.jpg

zelig2.jpg
There you have it. Do you have anything further to say before your death, Stone?

Shivah1306.jpg

stone2.jpg
Is there anything TO say?

zelig2.jpg
A rabbi to the end... good bye, Stone!

Shivah1310.jpg

They say a man's life passes before his eyes at times like these. But all I could see were the high-rises of Manhattan, crowding themselves around me like a concrete womb. The harsh, unyielding pavement comes ever closer, and I couldn't help but wonder... Did I honestly try as hard as I could? I fought him. I stood up to him. I did the honorable thing. Yet, I failed. Was this outcome inevitable? I guess I'll never know

And that's all folks. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Soo, it seems that if you have mercy but the chick is dead you lose, and even if the chick is alive being EXTREME just "scares" her (and of course having mercy and the chick alive gives you the best ending).

Morale: THERE CANNOT BE BAD CONSEQUENCES FROM BEING EXTREME!!!!!

Still, it was awesome, great lp.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I consider the extremely extreme ending to be the best :twisted:

Anyway, good job sir Roxor.

Erebus

Arcane
Thanks for this nice LP. Unsurprisingly, the best ending is reached by being merciful both times (though if you start being merciless, God will punish you for later having a change of heart).

Pegultagol

Erudite
Mighty props for the LP, the dev commentary could be interesting too, looks like it was really a labor of love on both parts.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how consistency is rewarded. Show mercy twice, best ending. Be EXTREME twice, good ending. Be extreme once, merciful the second time, you're fucked. Merciful once, extreme the second time, woman doesn't like you.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:
I like how consistency is rewarded. Show mercy twice, best ending. Be EXTREME twice, good ending. Be extreme once, merciful the second time, you're fucked. Merciful once, extreme the second time, woman doesn't like you.

I also liked it very much. It was a very cool little mind trick.

I mean, if you're X-TREME first, you're given the 'I think this could have been avoided' message, which pretty clearly states 'you fucked up', so when you get the second choice you think 'hmmm, X-TREMISM was a bad thing to do the first time, so I guess it would be good to show mercy now', and then bang, motherfucker! You fucked up again!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Nice 'lil game, very Jewish. :cool: Rabbinical responses FTW, they should implement them in Ass Effect 2 and Shepard Protocol.

Kudos on the LP, yo.

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Holy crap! I know this is an old topic, but... holy crap!

I found this old thread through Google Alert. I had to register and express my... well, it's hard to put into words exactly how I feel about this but it's AWESOME! It's hard to believe that this little game I made three years ago still garners this kind of attention. I'm happy you all liked it.

-Dave

Quilty

Magister
If this is actually THE Dave Gilbert I want my post to be in the same thread, touching his. There. Mmmmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom