Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Tyranicon's "Memoirs Of a Battle Brothel"

Dhaze

Cipher
All right then, let's dive into the antepenultimate part of this LP. In this one, we'll see the Old Watch questline to its end. The Mandate will follow, and lastly the actual end.

To begin, we talk to Shrike who asked to see us:

0ZPrAK9.png

In short, Shrike needs our help. Since the invasion by the Imperium forces, the most fanatic shaper cults have fortified Cellerdown as their temporary base; and naturally Xai Revel is there with them. The Imperials—who abhor all things shaper-related—know of his location, but dare not storm the place, dreading as they do Xai's powers; thus negotiators have been employed, but to little effect.

Both the Imperials and the Old Watch's mysterious Benefactor have specifically called for my presence over there, wanting I will mell myself of their problems.

4NfqXdP.png

MMpajBW.png

Afore we leave for Cellerdown, she says this:

59kQmLT.png

Oh, Shrike, it's no luck indeed, but nor is it an angel oversees my every action; it's Tyranicon's implacable will!

Approaching the entrance into Cellerdown proper, we see a familiar face:

HNTwlBf.png

Remember him? It's Captain Harlock, whose men were crushed to death by Xai in the clinic, and whom Xai left alive.

CpPGeGJ.png

rZTRgiz.png

Zao9rKz.png

So Xai is still up to his wizard tricks, I guess. The guy has on himself a permanent Chain Contingency [Enemy Comes In Sight | Nearest Enemy] containing Time Stop -> Bigby's Crushing Hand [Maximised, Empowered]; I'd be scared too.

Then—lo!—the "big hancho" himself comes, as Captain Harlock says:

O1nsvdg.png

Do you hear that? How strange a sound... as if air inhaled in great quantities... is it... why yes, yes it is indeed: gasps! prolonged gasps all around.

5PplnwO.png

YVWrTsO.png

The Black Watch? Unless we're talking about something else, it's called the Old Watch... Are you sure you're the one pulling the strings? I wouldn't exude quite that level of smug self-suffisance if I couldn't even manage to remember the name of my own organisation.

But almost miraculously, the game then offers me the option to say the following: "Hey! You're that hologram from the library! Care to explain?"

Nah, just kidding. Forget about that. It's not there. And nobody comments on the situation.

61wgKft.gif

Moving on.

M5AiUHQ.png

Thus, since Pike is a craven-hearted bitch-ass of a little man, I'll enter Cellerdown to negotiate with Xai. Pike hands me a small datapad containing the details of the Imperials' demands; and though I don't know what exactly, I'm fairly certain this datapad will trigger a trap of some sort once in proximity to Xai.

In Cellerdown, more precisely in the brothel formerly run by the Progressives:

gsFwHsO.png

At this point, I can ask him a few questions. The only one truly interests me is the following:

Icwa2mY.png

aBaETey.png

"That's what you are," is not an appropriate answer to my question. At that point in the game, there is no valid reason for Xai to indulge in any cutesy crypticism. In fact it is the opposite. Given Xai's story, his self-perceived failures, his enduring conflict with Pike, and the pressing urgency of the situation, he should be telling me everything he knows in order to guide me along the lines of his own thinking.

Tyranicon, I think this is a point of the game when you badly needed to put yourself and your writing idiosyncrasies aside, for the benefit of your game.

Now you have characters acting out of character, against their better interest, in order to preserve... to preserve what, exactly? I'm not even sure. A sense of mystery? To what end? Mystery for the sake of mystery?

When is briefly mentionned the topic of S-Narsum, Jack and Xai confirm something I already understood:

28OBOP6.png

Osdq3pT.png

But obviously I can't ask any question about that, of course; it would make too much sense.

Stepping forward, I hand the datapad to Xai. Then:

Ep9w0Yc.png

RmQXAto.png

Behind us and from outside Cellerdown, we hear erupt a thunderous gunfight that then rapidly encroaches on us. Heartbeats later, troops of the Imperium barge into the place:

uD8t1a7.png
ZcInuKl.png

Why do I choose to attack? Because of sense of loyalty to Shrike, having in mind what would she herself probably do, were she here? Because I care about Xai, and want to prevent any harm might befall him? Because I sense in Pike some potential adversary to my future? Because I've gone full-on murder hobo? Nope. I attack because I've learned that no matter what I do, nothing will change; and for an instant, combat manages to break the uninvolved monotony consisting in turning the pages of a Visual Novel.

After the combat:

3Fn3tOs.png

I honestly don't know what them being 'mind-slaved' entails that is unfortunate for me. They're unkillable, perhaps?

hs3JKR3.png

YxtT50q.png

A3gvzZk.png

cXeO1aB.png

rwlcmwR.png

eOLiuz5.png

0BbLOOe.png

wgTjbN0.png

This said, Pike seizes the chains coiled about Xai's wrists, and shakes them. A ripple of energy washes through the room.

v1pAPLN.png

How considerate of you, mister Pike. But Jack isn't keen on the notion and, taking for himself a gun, points it at his own head, taking ownership of his body then vehemently declaring:

x3I2YU8.png

Hell yeah! You go, girl! Shove it all up their prophecie'd asses! Go ahead: do what I, the main character, can't. Please allow me live vicariously through you, you glorious bastard.

Alas Jack, like me, is little more than flotsam under which run currents can not be fought; for Xai is of a different mind:

yw6DBuA.png

And I find myself in the past:

DQf9Acd.png

FA9MsbD.png

cGUPTUh.png

6yWSf4z.png

qSP7NNP.png

Xai... what the Helen Of Troy do you want me to say? I don't know what you're trying to do; I don't know why you're trying to do it; I have little or no understanding of anyone's true motivations; I can't ask questions; no one is forthcoming with answers; and I have no influence whatsoever. I don't care. I can't care, because the game won't let me.

nPJU7NL.png

u6AnSOK.png

See? This is what I mean, when I say characters are acting out of character, against their better interest. It's plainly obvious Jack and Xai should—entirely of their own volition and for their own benefit—provide me with answers aplenty. There is absolutely no valid reason to explain their reconditeness.

– "Be careful. Don't trust him."
– "Why not?"
– "I won't say."
– "Why won't you say?"
– "
K1Q4Wlk.gif
"

And with that, we're yanked back into the present:

Cq7KDB5.png

Nothing of great interest is hereafter added. In short: Jack didn't die; Xai is well; Pike is gone; Shrike owes me big time (even though I didn't do anything). And that's the end of that questline.

God, the game is kind of falling apart in this last chapter. Over the course of twenty-five and some hours, a few wrongs coalesced into an odious admixture, and now its noisome stench is become unavoidable.

Earlier in the game, when you're still meeting new people, discovering new places, and progressing at a great pace while characters punctuate adventures with little touches of humor, it's easy to ignore those aforementionned wrongs; it's even possible to find them quirky enough they might be considered endearing. But ultimately they come back in full force for the end.

There is not a lot wrong with the game, but what is wrong is really quite wrong. The more I think about it, the more I realise that gem/10 is a perfectly appropriate rating for this game.

As a side note, and as I had briefly remarked when beginning this LP, I do so love the idea of irremediably burning memories to power one's magical abilities. Weaving that kind of mechanic seamlessly into a story would be a tour de force, but the potential is immense.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a side note, and as I had briefly remarked when beginning this LP, I do so love the idea of irremediably burning memories to power one's magical abilities
What if all the railroading is on account of all the memories being burnt and you not remembering the choices you made.
:philosoraptor:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hmmm, sometimes I forget that I hold all the cards and the player can only see a few. I dunno, I figured that the player would have enough to go on to make sense of what's happening by the endgame if they finished all four quests (I did however, probably lock one of the most interesting parts of the game in the Valley of Pillars, with the mirrors).

Perhaps I'm assuming that new players have knowledge of the previous game? My games are not meant to be played sequentially to have the full picture.

Dhaze

Cipher
As a side note, and as I had briefly remarked when beginning this LP, I do so love the idea of irremediably burning memories to power one's magical abilities
What if all the railroading is on account of all the memories being burnt and you not remembering the choices you made.
:philosoraptor:

I would be all over that stuff. It would be very hard to execute properly, blending narrative and mechanics; I'm just about smart enough to understand I'm not smart enough to create that kind of thing. But if it were made to work... holy hell it would work.

Hmmm, sometimes I forget that I hold all the cards and the player can only see a few. I dunno, I figured that the player would have enough to go on to make sense of what's happening by the endgame if they finished all four quests.

If it's any use to you, here is in part what I understood or not after finishing the game.

– Miranda and Xai (and others who are not in the game) were Pike's disciples of sort. How that came to be, I don't know. Why that came to be, I'm not sure.

– After Miranda explained it to him, Xai disagreed with Pike's master plan. Why Xai disagrees, I don't know. I'm given but an unwashed window into his character or motivations, and—as I remarked earlier—he's being needlessly recondite, like most everyone in this game, so it's not exactly easy to understand.

– Since our universe was "created by artificial intelligence to create artificial intelligence," Pike endeavors to actuate humanity towards just that, the Singularity. But only in due time, because humanity is only afforded one chance to get it right; thus why he sometimes delays mankind's advancement, as when he killed Voos. Simultaneously, he does this to counteract the incomputable want of some entity from a supra-reality, entity bent on the eradication of all life?

Even if it wasn't confusing, it is so far removed from the core of the game—the brothel, the Guild, its civil war—that it's difficult for me to care.

– Anomalie is allied with Pike. How, when, and why that came to be, I don't know.

– Pike is... what? Old, for certain; eld even. A god-like human from cycles past? The Shepherd, sure, but that means less than nothing to me; it's yet another capitalised title devoid of substance.

– Kore is entirely Pike's creation, purposed for his machinating whims. And he placed her by my side so she could guide me—despite she never once provided me with guidance of any manner. Also, according to him she was purportedly there to protect me, but the only thing from which she might have protected me is the bomb, and the bomb was sent by Pike himself.

Step 1: Mastermind manipulates person X into entering a perilous war-like situation;
Step 2: Mastermind creates person Y;
Step 3: Mastermind sends person Y to secretly protect person X;
Step 4: Mastermind sends a bomb that could kill person X;
Step 5: Person Y blows up instead of person X;
Step 6: Mastermind pats himself on the back for protecting person X.

o1wESN7.gif

– The Prisoner in the Abyss is a ghost from the Barrens, a memory manifesting itself into this world, and who at some point—when others of her kin went away—took refuge into the first moon. Right? She can manipulate reality. As to what she wants to do, I have no idea.

Also, on a sincere note, please consider sticking to just one or two of these capitalised titles per character. The whole thing is convoluted enough as it is. The Prisoner is called thus, but also alternatively the Queen Of a Thousand Woes, the Queen Of Endless Sorrow, the Primordial, the Ancient, the Dream Empress, the Monarch Of Dementia, the First And Forbidden, the Everqueen, and possibly others I've missed or can't presently remember. It's bordering on comedy.

You might know of the French tv series Kaamelott? I think it reached a bit overseas; the .gif two paragraphs before is taken from it. At one point, Merlin and Élias de Kelliwic'h formally acknowledge one another by their titles, while annoyed Arthur and Lancelot endure the overlong enumeration. Élias goes: "Merlin, Enchanter Of Britain, Great Winner of Winchester's Weasel, creator of the Potion To Heal Ingrown Nails, writer of the parchemin titled Druidism Explained To Elderly People, [...]" Well, that's kind of what it feels like when the Prisoner is given a dozen titles.

– The 3rd Division pumped Isutyr's brother Maleon full of S-Narsum to sustain his doomed body. To what actual, concrete end? I'm not sure. Until the Prisoner could take possession of Maleon? Then again, notes found in the Tower hint at the 3rd Division's goal being other than releasing the Prisoner, so I don't think I understood even that, certainly not clearly.

– Miranda endeavored to release the Prisoner. Why? I'm not sure. Because that furthers Pike's designs, somehow, but how? She did it to fulfill the prophecy, that much I understood. But to what actual, meaningful end? I hope it's not a cyclical matter of fulfilling the prophecy to fulfill the prophecy because the prophecy needs fulfilling in order to fulfill the prophecy.

– A Chain is something alive? A fragment of the person who created it, I think.

– What the Herald is, I'm not sure; some undescript entity from another place, unsubjected to the inconvenient rules of this manufactured reality? And what the Herald's goal might be, I don't know.

– The Seafoam Throne was crafted by the Goada Naren and the Mandate, lifetimes ago. How exactly it is connected to the island of MoonFall, I don't know; something something Chain Lines. What it does exactly, I don't know. From whence exactly come the writhing creatures conjured by the Throne in defense of the island, I'm not sure.

Perhaps I'm assuming that new players have knowledge of the previous game? My games are not meant to be played sequentially to have the full picture.

I've been wondering about that for a time. More: you know all the most minute ins and outs of your story and characters; it's entirely possible you see links where the player can't descry any.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
-read's Dhaze's list-

Me in real time:

:deathclaw:

Lol, I fucked up.

You have to play the previous game.

Memoirs is set up to satisfy the curiosity of those who played Singularity, and I see now why you, and probably a decent portion of the playerbase, are confused why certain things happen they way they do.

There's a lot of missing knowledge that would've filled in some holes neatly.

I wonder how it would work if someone played Memoirs first and then Singularity? If you ever have time or the inclination I would be interested in your thoughts (although I feel like you already put in a ton of work with the let's play, so no rush).

Dhaze

Cipher
All right, let's bring the Mandate questline to its end. And to start, let's go talk to Director Mitty and company:

9O6ioHP.png

Well, I'm not solely responsible for this, you know. After all, I am being manipulated by an otherworldly identity.

Succintly: the island is awakening; abyss monsters are rampaging; the 3rd Division is trying to free the Prisoner; and the Mandate is on the verge of taking the 3rd Division's main facility.

XOqMpH7.png

L894eUP.png

8jl3Liv.png

(this short exchange is actually important in its own way, so try and keep it in mind)

We board a vehicle, and during the transport Miranda gets weird:

800srjw.png

VHWxSTa.png

At length we arrive:

pHbxLT4.png

The pyramid, of incredible height rivaling that of any skyscraper in the Spire district, is held by strange ghostly chains, and the same chains criss-cross the floor around us. One of my companions tries to touch one link of the chain—yet her fingers grasp nothing, feel nothing, exactly as if passing through air and air alone.

Meanwhile, director Mitty is in awe of the pyramid:

z7Mqh5b.png

mdbpzSm.jpg

While we let the impressive sight wash over our eyes, a Mandate trooper calls to Mitty:

iGLehqc.png

mXA50Ec.png

Then Mitty wants to inspect the pyramid from closer:

lJ0jICY.png

z6scd48.png

And indeed protection is spurred against us, in the form of five ignoble Abyssal Demons!

Of proportions twice those of a grown man, their whole body is black as the nethermost recesses of the Pit, with in places blots of a dark purple hue telling of corruption surfacing from their innards. Their skin is thin, scorched and wizened as if by the ruin of desert sands; and beneath it we descry the nervous, menacing twitchings of tendons and thews like cables of steel. Risking a glance slightly upward, our eyes meet theirs; and lo! how loathsome their visages, such as must haunt the nightmares of lesser devils. Eyes of a maladive yellow bore intently into ours, with emotions possessed of unhuman qualities; meanwhile lips stretch and part odiously to reveals fangs from which drip, glistening, thick, a noisome mixture of saliva and pus. One look upon those fangs and at once we recoil, understanding too well their purchase into us would prove goreful and insufferable.

Well, no. Actually, they don't look like that at all.

urPFJml.png

They are... kind of cute, in truth. Like angry, horned, clawed, sentient marshmallows capable of modesty, as indicated by what seems a green loincloth. It clashes with the name 'Abyssal Demon', but I like the look nonetheless. It's fun.

Once the demons dispatched, Miranda displays part of what I know to be a much greater power:

QZa5tcT.png

644nSXF.png

6y5ObqR.png

What do you mean, you didn't expect me to prevail? Did you expect me to die here? Uncool. Or would you have intervened?

Of course, with what is evidently some kind of betrayal on the part of Miranda, Mitty is mighty miffed:

Mt8isfe.png

zjlGLF2.png

wPCDYcs.png

(I wonder if "I do this for your own good" has, in the history of mankind, ever been successfully employed to placate some angered person)

MJtzglD.png

Isutyr's brother, Maleon. And surprisingly, I get an answer as to why Isutyr's brother is present in this place of all:

v7Qnor6.png

8MpqDUz.png

buhfBDk.png

xE9V21q.png

Holy hell, actual information. Unbelievable.

This said, Miranda takes a step towards part of the Chain:

ICQHKFM.png

wNdmCUN.png

8uiMpNN.png

Then, no sooner has Miranda thanked the Chain, releasing it from its service, that the pyramid shatters in a myriad fragment rain down upon everyone present. And in the blink of an eye, Miranda disappears.

lX2MGw5.png

DfQfRfs.png

pBFX152.png

XncroM9.png

trCMRBm.png

JjCWzua.png

xH2BZr2.png

"I want answers." Join the club, Mitty.

w41y8dW.png

But now, for the most breathtaking moment of the game.

As seen, the Prisoner has taken possession of Maleon. The Prisoner, the Queen Of a Thousand Woes, the Queen Of Endless Sorrow, the Primordial, the Ancient, the Dream Empress, the Monarch Of Dementia, the Consort Of Foly, the First And Forbidden, the Everqueen, the Sovereign Of Nightmares, the Misery Made Flesh, She Who Flicks Onion Juice Into Your Eyes, whose prison cell was essentially a whole magical island, and whose imprisonment—arguably one of the most momentous event in history—required the combined efforts of the Goada Naren and the Mandate.

So then, what does this harbinger of doom does? Ready? Hold on to your gamer chairs—really anchor yourself by curling your toes into the carpet, and clutch those cushy faux-leather armrests!—because you's gon get shook:

nQnIkQe.png

1rIYWQq.jpg

Subverting Expectations™

rfvQtWy.gif

Seriously, what is going on in this last act of the game? Am I losing my mind? :lol:

There I was, expecting a big showdown, possibly a fight during which everybody—myself and Miranda included—gets their asses kicked something fierce, and after which the Prisoner would leave, victorious, maniacally laughing her way to vengeful freedom.

Instead, I get Hitler surrendering on the fifteenth of June 1940. I mean... good for Paris MoonFall, I guess?

But still, moving on, as things are not quite over yet. With the 3rd Division dealt with, Miranda disappeared, and the Prisoner having voluntarily surrendered, we incredulous lot find ourselves back at the Mandate's main facility under the Commercial district.

ypo0UZa.png

6MX9ICr.png

8PZjX59.png

There follows a short conversation anent Maleon's 'highmark', which makes him a seer amongst the Goada Naren, but which Isabell's husband insists is a malady; and the supposed visions afforded by the highmark are nothing more than hallucinations.

When the subject naturally circles back to the Prisoner:

I26eaGA.png

Is then mentionned a certain Ritual Of Wugwai, which could contain the Prisoner.

GqLT3HV.png

It follows reason I will now be tasked with convincing Xai to fix what Miranda has broken.

No? Wait. Why is the conversation moving away from that subject of the ritual and Xai? Uhm... Hello? I... uh... I know Xai, I could talk to him. Hello, can anybody see me? Hear me? I'm here, right here, in front of you all, waving frantically. I could help. Be useful. For once. Please... let me do something, anything. I want to play.

Nope. Nothing comes of it. The conversation moves on, without any involvement on my part. I might as well not exist.

6sYOc6J.png

87YUvUC.png

Hold one; if those Cohn-Bin devices will allow you to talk to her safely, then by definition she is not "dangerous in the extreme."

YQPRQfG.png

4mBXgkv.png

So what does that oath entails exactly?

8pXgaZ6.png

Now those are interesting notions. There's something there, a nice grey area full of possibilities. Unfortunately the game doesn't provide me any option to press Mitty on the matter, and he doesn't elaborate on his own, but...

Imagine that this Oathstone comes into play much earlier. Imagine that swearing this oath is a mandatory pre-requisite to work with the Mandate, to enter the Abyss.

Now, in this hypothetical situation, you swear the oath then enter the Abyss and there discover and learn much. And, intimating what will ultimately happen—the Prisoner being released, and writhing monstrosities surging forth to 'defend' the island against invaders from the mainland—you want to alert your best gal, Dejah. But you can't, as that would be breaking the unbreakable oath.

For indeed Mitty claims the oath is unbreakable; that the exact words do not matter, the Oathstone will know their meaning. But I know from Xai and Pike that the latter, despite I think having sworn on a Oathstone to never lie to Xai, still managed to do so via lying by omittance. So there is some wiggle room.

Moreover, I wonder if allegiance to myself would be considered a 'higher allegiance', thus a betrayal of the oath? And if I burn the memory of having taken the oath, does the oath still stand? And if burn other specific memories so as to irremediably alter my very own perception of events, could I not convince my manipulated self that sharing Mandate secrets with Dejah would in fact serve the best interests of the Mandate?

But perhaps my shaping abilities are not sufficiently masterful so as to permit me burn specific memories, only random ones. Enters Xai Revel, shaping prodigy, whose goal is opposite that of Miranda (and by extent opposite the Mandate's goals). Could I ask him to teach me, to our mutual benefit?

That, right there, is half a game's worth of machinations. And worthwhile machinations, too. Because in Memoirs I'm constantly subjected to the connivings of others, but rarely—if ever—do I get to be involved and consciously take matters into my own hands.

Alas, such as it is now, at the end of the questline, it is an almost meaningless oath to swear (only almost, as it is, or should have been, pseudo-important for one later thing).

jntvspn.png

It's meaningless enough it doesn't even influence the ending. Whether I swear the oath and join the Mandate's folds, or not, they will support me in ending the Guild's civil war. Which is weird. If I don't swear the oath, then my memories of everything Mandate-related will be erased. So won't I later wonder, "Hey, who are those Mandate guys who throw their political weight at my back?" Though I guess they could, unseen and unheard by me, pull some strings from behind the scenes as is their wont.

But no matter. As to what my companions think:

fVcq9xy.png

So I agree to take the oath. Refusing would mean having my memories erased; and come nyghtertale I'll want to do some lone reminiscing about Isabell Nona.

Having sworn, the Oathstone talks to me:

RBqj35F.png

Oh and there's that too! The 'visitor', i.e. the thing in me, is not subjected to the oath. In the theoretical game world wherein I had to swear the oath near the beginning of the story, that fact alone would beget an entire questline, to break the oath while not technically breaking the oath, by letting the Visitor take full control of my actions for a while.

I have to say, thinking about it some more, that Memoirs could have been a new Baten Kaitos, going full meta with its main character. And it would have been glorious. All the required materials are already there; they just need assembled differently.

But now, the Mandate questline is ended. Bye bye, Mitty. Ciao, bella Nona.

Now for some quick circling back. I recommended you guys keep that in mind:

XOqMpH7.png

L894eUP.png

8jl3Liv.png

As you now understand, this was a bullshit excuse on Tyranicon's part (I say that amicably, of course) to drag me where events unfolded.

Because in this episode I, the main character, was yet again of absolutely no utility. Yes, technically I did fight five Abyssal Demons; but there were Mandate troopers with us and they could have taken care of the threat. Plus Miranda could have swatted those demons away as if some pesky flies; when first I met her the game made a point of telling me she's vastly more powerful than I am, and she proved that abundantly.

Really, had I and Isutyr not accompanied Mitty and Miranda to the chained pyramid, what would have changed? Nothing whatsoever. This part of the questline perfectly exemplifies why playing this game often feels less like playing a game than it does flipping through the virtual pages of a Visual Novel.

-read's Dhaze's list-

Me in real time:

:deathclaw:

Lol, I fucked up.

You have to play the previous game.

Tyranicon belatedly pointing me to the game that explains it all:

drake-computer.gif

I wonder how it would work if someone played Memoirs first and then Singularity? If you ever have time or the inclination I would be interested in your thoughts (although I feel like you already put in a ton of work with the let's play, so no rush).

If that's an offer, I'm actually gonna take you up on it for two reasons.

Firstly, I'm also wondering how it might work were someone to play the games in reverse order; that would be a genuinely interesting experience. Secondly, after playing Memoirs I feel like an absolute dumbass with cream cheese for a brain, who doesn't understand anything; and I kinda need to regain my self-confidence, which I guess should happen if I play The Singularity Wish?

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Firstly, I'm also wondering how it might work were someone to play the games in reverse order; that would be a genuinely interesting experience.

I'm assuming it would be a somewhat traditional experience, since Memoirs is a prequel to Singularity: Tactics Arena. So it should feel like you're playing the next installment, if really limited in scope and fully a linear JRPG instead of a weird JRPG/cRPG hybrid.

You may also notice that the plot is much more tightly focused because of this. And also long-winded.

if I play The Singularity Wish?

Oh no. That's not the game I meant. The Singularity Wish is actually really weird and semi-canon.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Oh no. The Singularity Wish is actually really weird and semi-canon.

Oh ok, my bad; brain fart and all that. When you said "[...] if someone played Memoirs first and then Singularity?" I mistook The Singularity Wish for Singularity: Tactics Arena.

Dhaze

Cipher
Last stretch of the Let's Play!

mkymt2H.png

The game alerts me to the fact I have the support of:

– Iron Gregarion;
– Dejah Mars;
– Shrike;
– Director Mitty;
– the Iron Cartel;
– the Old Watch;
– the Stormbreakers.

So I have Director Mitty's support, but not the Mandate's, meaning both are not inextricably linked. And only now do I realise that, overall, I've had very little interaction with the Three Moons and the Board, certainly not enough to ingratiate myself to them. I don't know if having their support unlocks other possible ways to end the Guild's civil war; but it doesn't matter much to me since the game proffers me the option I've wanted for a long time:

uAn4vrQ.png

Indeed exactly what I wanted.

SQcM5JY.png

I sure hope it does, game, I sure hope it does.

Thus is a meeting called, with Diana and Jasen prepping me, helping me navigate the pestilential mire that is MoonFall's political scene.

And once the main players are gathered, guess who speaks first?

p3xijLb.png

HkqKMvT.png

uVVQHJN.png

After a tiny bit of bickering, we get to the meaty part:

TVFBXSO.png

mZvkFxK.png

n0vpKGR.png

5DrTgZA.png

And I get the opportunity to mention the bombing of my brothel, and the recent ambush in the pet shop. Anent which Saffron and Bathsheva say:

EdvGddp.png

XO5lRmD.png

So I was right to suspect it were the Loveless who ambushed Thassia and Kaywin. How else to explain the presence of a Masked Archon during the fight?

As for the present state of the Guild:

d8lt2zi.png

IXV2cKI.png

Of course it was not worth it. Come on, girls... You're fancy prostitutes; you're literally supposed to make love, not war.

And on the subject of the Loveless:

TgrincR.png

zbkf7Yp.png

Raw4uE6.png

The Loveless infiltrating the Guild; the 3rd Division going rogue on the Mandate; Gregarion's coup on the Iron Cartel's previous Senhor; and the Stormbreakers disappearing colonels and judges. Tailors and knifesmiths in MoonFall must have been made rich by all this need for cloaks and daggers.

SINVqen.png

2vlWAfH.png

PVurTlO.png

So then, does that serve to explain why it was surprisingly late into the game before I was even allowed to meet them both? Hum... Fine. I'll allow it. But only because they're pretty.

At length comes the time to announce what must be the Guild's fate:

NbYZ34P.png

Black Saffron, Lady Bathsheva, harken—and harken well!—for unto thee I declare the important follows: know that henceforth any dispute anent any matter atween courtesans shall be ended in a manner most befitting our profession; and thou both shall first demonstrate the particulars of said manner.

A small room shall be ointed with a goodly measure of jello, such that it is rendered a-glisten with the slip of that substance. Said room thou shall both enter; then promptly thy garments and undergarments discard, for reason none other than I deem such effects unseemly on thy persons, and mine is the upper hand. Once barement of thy figures accomplished to my lascivious contentment, thou shall vigorously wrestle with one another, all the while endeavoring to squish and smush what ample parts of thyselves are best squished and smushed gainst one another.

Verily, this thou shall do until I, observing thee aclose, begin to echo thy laborous pantings, and bite my lower lip such that it is left painful and momentarily bloodless. Then we three shall retire to my apartments, and so too shall all other courtesans join us, bringing with them bottles fetched from the uppermost shelf of the bar, good humours, and copious quantities of jello; and in company with one another we will brandish dildos like swor—

What, Zafra? Why are you looking at me like that?

Jhb4wwF.png

Oh fine, let's get on with it then. Can't even have some fun in this place...

Girls, enough of this bloody bickering. It stops now, and we re-unite the Guild.

BkoRsFg.png

shCj3iA.png

R5V0Pn0.png

Yes, pillow fight. Great idea. Everyone, in your pyjamas!

6S4XL7I.png

Ah, shucks. This is it, right? This is probably what I'm missing. With greater political support, certainly on the part of the Board, I probably would have had the option to head the Guild myself.

Then, look who deigns join us; a soon-crowned head:

bXTxfRi.png

NILuV4X.png

But she'll be queen ere long, in a week. (side note: I really wish I could kick Gregarion in the nuts, kick him hard until I hear pop!)

8DciGWz.png

AQoREmi.png

And with that... it's over! The guild is reunited. The clamorous din of war is silenced, better replaced by the soft shuffling of bedsheets. Some true satisfaction at last.

Yes, it's over. But also, it's not over.

2QRIf1q.png

f1JPobQ.png

But what's this I feel, overcoming my senses? Why, I faint.

3CxwU7E.png

xymUsoc.png

Qnp512m.png

I0qmmFB.png

And I am made to arrive there:

7LhvpKx.png

Of course it's the goddamn library.

uarIJOs.png

tOfbRSp.png

How did you guide me, Kore? Aside from getting blown to pieces at one point, you didn't exactly do a whole lot, my sweet.

I approach the counter, next to which is Pike, of course. I talk to him. Or rather, he talks to me, beginning by mentionning a book written by one Éloïse Fleming. Apparently she is the protagonist of Singularity: Tactics Arena. So if you've played Tactics Arena, then you're likely to go "Oh, a direct mention of Fleming. I liked her and that game." And possibly you'll understand how and why it is relevant for her to be mentionned by Pike?

He talks about this book, then another one penned by Lutra, founder of the Guild Of Courtesans. He apparently knew her in the flesh, and mentions her uniqueness and importance, leading the subject to my own person:

7o214rA.png

It is. But you know what is even more annoying? People drilling in the point about people drilling in the point.

PFdrina.png

15XeBMZ.png

f5I1kJX.png

I'll admit to having a strong kneejerk reaction to that line. Deep down, coming from a guy like Pike, it's a sensible line. Yet upon first reading it, it made me feel the game so didn't give a shit about what I thought that it literally needed to tell me what it wanted me to think, this in order for the exposition to then unfold.

mAvLZTw.png

Honestly? Because the game has taught me many times that I don't really get answers. I can't care for something won't let me.

7ZHXbTh.png

You won't lie to me, no—but you'll readily omit the truth as you did with Xai! I'm onto you, pal.

So then, what is this supposed truth? The beans, Pike: spill 'em.

F4Kt7cI.png

"I have traveled to the plains of Eternity and met the closest thing you would call a god," says Pike. "An intelligent machine, created in another universe. It was dead. But there, I beheld the Wound. It is a gateway to another reality... the one that created ours. Something... horrible happened there. Transformed.
"The same horrible thing that happened to the universe before it, and the one before that, in an infinite spiderweb leading to some unimaginably ancient past. Soon enough, that festering, nightmarish entropy will be here too. As if it were chasing us, down through each iteration of reality.
"I spent my first century trying to patch the Wound; but I simply lacked the knowledge... and the intelligence as well. So, the obvious solution was to rebuild the machine god, or replace it."​

Pause. Why was it an obvious solution? How did you know this machine god would manage to patch the Wound? And what told you the "festering, nightmarish entropy" couldn't simply open another Wound?

"I spent thousands of years watching humanity wander in the dark, because they had to. All that time, I made sure they didn't advance too quickly. They could not be allowed to outpace their own caution. We only have one chance at the singularity. When the machine god comes, it will change everything.
"I built CONTROL to make sure that when a true A.I. is born, it is what we desire it to be. All of our tomorrows hinge on this one hope. And make no mistake: it has always only been just a slim hope."

9noJ1X3.png

HoFysPI.jpg

Bet: I'll get to ask questions, but won't get answers.

BLctULa.png

First question, "Who are you?" A very interesting one. Let's see what happens...

mF0yOjU.gif

Lucky me, I won my bet.

– "Who are you?" -> "I am old. I am the Shepherd. Do you know that name?" -> "No." -> booted back to the questions menu.
– "Who are you?" -> "I am old. I am the Shepherd. Do you know that name?" -> "Yes." -> "Cool, bro."

Those are not answers. It's exactly like when I asked Xai, "Why are you calling me the Herald?" and he answered with "Because that's what you are." At some point—especially now, during this brief post-end end of the game—the player rightly deserves actual, concrete informations.

Not everything needs explained in details, I'm entirely ok with that. But little things like, oh, I don't know, who is the guy who masterminded it all during millennia, now that might deserve an answer going further than "I am someone, lol."

Questionning him about other things, I learn this game's universe is a simulation created by artificial intelligence to create artificial intelligence. Pike suspects there are countless such simulations. And he wants to fulfill its primary purpose of creating articifial intelligence, to "usher in a technological singularity governed by the united volition of all mankind. Not only to prevent the coming oblivion, but to create a paradise for ourselves."

Concerning the Oathstone prophecy:

GjTqVyK.png

E1gZ74N.png

9Ngcr8o.png

VPfReFk.png

BnQxhUg.png

All right, so I get to ask, "For what purpose?"

o8cohFB.png

UqsYZgv.png

9NloTRJ.gif

Those – are – not – answers.

– Preparatory step: bring the Queen Of a Thousand Woes to MoonFall, make her into the Prisoner, then enact a convoluted prophecy to later release the Prisoner;
– Step 1: the Crasher Crisis;
– Step 2: release the Prisoner;
– Step 3: ?
– Result: third MoonFall.

Ok. Fine. But what the fuck does that accomplish?! The third MoonFall, what will it do? And don't you dare reply, "It will cause the third moon to fall." The end purpose; that is what I want to learn. I don't care to learn that Step 1 leads to Step 2 that leads to Step 3 that leads to the desired result. I want to learn what the desired result is.

If I ask you "Hey, what are you going to do with that nail?" I expect an answer other than "I'm going to hammer it." Tell me why you're going to hammer it. Do you need to pin a half-lap joint? Or is there a dude needs introducing to a wooden cross?

Moving on.

e0Xpefl.png

Wo5yDyX.png

ZMmUgoC.png

Bhv4bMl.png

djzQcIK.png

bJIIODd.gif

Lastly, I ask the question "Why am I so important?" To which he replies I have within me an extra universal entity he calls a 'visitor'. That being oversaw my birth, chose my appearance, and did all sorts of things. Then abandonned me. Then came back at the beginning of the game. Their goal? I don't know.

Then finally he asks for my help in ushering the Singularity. I accept. I take his hand, because why not; might as well see what happens, right?

sNmxvDI.png

UVj1EGq.png

H4aELro.png

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see Anomalie is ok, as I was wondering what might have happened to him after the Abyss stuff; but why is he here? Are Alpha and her sisters here also?

At this point the game unrolls some beautiful artworks, and tells me bits anent post-game MoonFall.

kVVz46f.png

The Guild's civil war is over. Lady Bathsheva and Black Saffron make a genuine attempt at reconciliation.

i0AZObi.png

The Imperium manages to placate the syndicates, the shapers, and everyone else, by affording them a semblance of autonomy. Meanwhile the writhing, tentacled monstrosities have returned from whence they came.

BsdVFUb.png

While the Imperium is officially at peace with the Syndicates, officiously the former still holds the latters in abhorrence. Thus, the Imperium surreptitiously funds and train the Old Watch, so that Shrike and company might persevere in their crusade. As for Xai, he is gone. Where, no one knows.

hveibLm.png

Expectedly, the Mandate is wholly unaffected by all this, forging ever onward in their weird, secretive endeavors. Their doors are open to me, of course, having sworn the oath.

oTs2RkW.png

The Stormbreakers logically become the greatest power in MoonFall. Dejah and I get married. We adopt a throng of little girls orphaned by the recent conflicts, and raise them in the mercenary and seductive arts. With enough of them, we ultimately intend on invading the mainland.

IhMF6Iv.png

Hostilities between the Imperium and the Iron Cartel cease. It is with little enthusiasm Thassia feels the weight of the crown sit upon her pate; though she at least enjoys all the creature comforts of her station, all paid for by the Iron Cartel.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
And with that, it's over for good. Phew. 'twas a weird, short yet long, satisfying yet frustrating ride. Thanks Tyranicon for the key, really.

Hopefully this LP proved a measure of entertainement for a couple of people. Life is a shitty thing, I often find; so if the game or even one of my stupid jokes managed to snatch a laugh from someone, it's something at least. Also hopefully, it gave someone or another the desire to play the game for themselves; it is held back by some strangely massive flaws, but it's well worth it nonetheless.

There wasn't enough smut for you? Here's a quick extra: naked Diana. And for those with other penchants: naked Hatsuo!

If any image link becomes broken somewhen down the line, send me a message and I'll re-upload what's needed. Everything is saved on my end, in duplicate folders on separate external drives.

Now I'll take a couple of days off so to speak, or a few even, because for some unknown reason I have a burning desire to play Legend Of Dragoon. Haven't played that game in over twenty years, and I don't remember much about the story.

Then, I'll start a LP of this game:

CoLgUCv.png

With a bit of luck it'll shed some light on the myriad questions I have after playing Memoirs Of a Battle Brothel. God knows I need to make sense of a lot of things.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bruh Imgur has already nuked the naky Diana pic.
Seriously didn't you know imgur is a puritan these days?

Dhaze

Cipher
Uh. That's weird. I can see it just fine on my end, and I certainly haven't changed any setting on Imgur.

Can you see it when embedded directly on the forum:

qlCZqEB.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Hats off to Dhaze for a writing a book about my game. :-D

If you're curious, there are two higher "tiers" of ending the guild war:

1. Becoming the Grand Dame (or the male equivalent, which gets everyone a little mad)
2. Just side-stepping everything and being elevated to Dominarch, being welcomed to the Board by Pike himself (this one is really a bit of a stretch)

The requirements for these two are never revealed in-game and I'm irregular about revealing the exact methods needed. But it mostly has to do with grinding overworld missions (which is lame) to get the proper reputation levels needed. I will likely change it in the next major content update.

Dhaze

Cipher
Hats off to Dhaze for a writing a book about my game. :-D

Hats off to Tyranicon for writing a book disguised as a game. :lol:

No but seriously, it's a fine one you created. I won't try and pretend I cared for it all, but there is a whole lot of good in there. Superb artworks; good music; excellent pacing; too-easy combat but very promising ideas in its overall system; nice bits of humor and characterisation; fun companions; etc.

Just please, please oh pretty please, let me care more about the world. That would be the main takeaway for me. Being able to ask a couple of questions now and then and get actual answers, plus a bit more of agency for the main character; just that would go a looooong way into drawing me into the game, instead of keeping me at a distance as if a spectator. (and yes, I know, "just that" is probably a lot of work on your end, but I think you understand what I mean by 'just')

If you're curious, there are two higher "tiers" of ending the guild war:

1. Becoming the Grand Dame (or the male equivalent, which gets everyone a little mad)
2. Just side-stepping everything and being elevated to Dominarch, being welcomed to the Board by Pike himself (this one is really a bit of a stretch)

The requirements for these two are never revealed in-game and I'm irregular about revealing the exact methods needed. But it mostly has to do with grinding overworld missions (which is lame) to get the proper reputation levels needed. I will likely change it in the next major content update.

Ah, interesting. So my inklings were kind of right.

In any way, I'll be replaying Memoirs soon enough so I'll try for that Dominarch ending. And if you're still interested at that time, I'll catalogue all the typos I've seen.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Your prose made it a fun read, Tyranicon can’t ask for better PR even if the criticism became more pronounced towards the end of the game.

And oof, so they did outright say it was the loveless who did the attack. Either i had forgotten or my rage for Saffron blinded me from acknowledging information undermining my biases, i maintain she is the worst though after Gregarion.

Actually no, i’m not letting the harlot off that easily, she was a minor villain of the story for me:
mZvkFxK.png

Bitch what? I was fighting in your little war, and had the game cared to track such things then the tradionalists should be but a footnote in the history books : 6-7 courtesans killed in each random fight every 5 minutes for like 3 hours. Someone do the maths, it ain’t quite 6 million but it’s still enough women butchered in hyper violent ways that i should be considered a horror villain and the subject of many fucked up erotica and romance novels for bored house wives.

But not only did i get Saffron giving me a cold shoulder as mentioned previously, bitch at the end doesn’t even acknowledge my efforts (i get same exact dialogue as you who worked against her) and acts like i wasn’t her most loyal enforcer for the whole of act 2.

Yes i know the true explanation is that for the most part the overworld and story are totally disconnected, but considering this is the primary way of interacting with these 2 guilds we can throw it onto the pile of “your actions don’t matter” examples.

At least by NOT doing the iron cartel missions i got some acknowledgement of it even if gregarion still ends up pulling off all his plans without you.

“Dejah and I get married. We adopt a throng of little girls orphaned by the recent conflicts, and raise them in the mercenary and seductive arts. With enough of them, we ultimately intend on invading the mainland.”

Best ending unlocked, may the fake neko ears on your progeny’s hair be most pronounced.

Looking forward to LP of singularity if you do get around to it.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
And oof, so they did outright say it was the loveless who did the attack. Either i had forgotten or my rage for Saffron blinded me from acknowledging information undermining my biases, i maintain she is the worst though after Gregarion.

Actually no, i’m not letting the harlot off that easily,

Tyranicon, look what you did you horrible man! Poor BrotherFrank will carry that grudge to his grave and beyond still; it will gnaw at him verily as does the worm.

At least by NOT doing the iron cartel missions i got some acknowledgement of it even if gregarion still ends up pulling off all his plans without you.

That, for me, is the worst: the fact that he manages to rise to the top no matter what the player does. He really is an insufferable douche, true and true; and my god what I wouldn't give to bitch slap the smug off his face.

Looking forward to LP of singularity if you do get around to it.

I will without fault. Now I'm playing a bit of Legend Of Dragoon,to take a break if you will, but in a few days I'll start with Singularity: Tactics Arena.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
He really is an insufferable douche, true and true; and my god what I wouldn't give to bitch slap the smug off his face
Guess that's one for Moonfall

If you guys think he's insufferable in Memoirs... just wait until he actually gets power.

But on the bright side, I'll be investing time in a more interesing way to interact with characters and there'll be less railroading.

You'll have your chance to slap the smug off his face.

Dhaze

Cipher
I petition the player (or a companion) should be able to repeatedly call him Ron Gregarion, in a very casual and detached manner. Just to piss him off.

blitzer

Novice
The Stormbreakers logically become the greatest power in MoonFall. Dejah and I get married. We adopt a throng of little girls orphaned by the recent conflicts, and raise them in the mercenary and seductive arts. With enough of them, we ultimately intend on invading the mainland.
What!? How can you get Dejah married to you? I've won Stormbreaker's full support and never lie to her, including not shooting the fake Dejah in front of Gregarion (although this really pissed him off), but I still can't see this in descriptions of ending.

I have already finished the main quests of all four factions, but that just let me reunite the guild, and not so different in the end.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What!? How can you get Dejah married to you? I've won Stormbreaker's full support and never lie to her, including not shooting the fake Dejah in front of Gregarion (although this really pissed him off), but I still can't see this in descriptions of ending.

I have already finished the main quests of all four factions, but that just let me reunite the guild, and not so different in the end.

I think Dhaze was making a joke.

Otherwise I would also like to know :-D

blitzer

Novice

Oh, thank you for your reply and if I am not mistaken, you are the guy who developes this game, right?
I am glad you made this game. The story is surprisingly good and intriguing, I never thought that I would spend a plenty of time in a NSFW game but it is definitely worth!!
But I feel really frustrated in the last chapter, which contains so many mumbo jumbos and riddles remained to be solved
and I am a bit disappointed about the lack of a variety of interactions with companions who you chose to build relationships.

Anyway, this is still a good game, and I am really looking forward your new project !! Also, I think I will find some time playing Singularity: Tactics Arena.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Oh, thank you for your reply and if I am not mistaken, you are the guy who developes this game, right?
I am glad you made this game. The story is surprisingly good and intriguing, I never thought that I would spend a plenty of time in a NSFW game but it is definitely worth!!
But I feel really frustrated in the last chapter, which contains so many mumbo jumbos and riddles remained to be solved
and I am a bit disappointed about the lack of a variety of interactions with companions who you chose to build relationships.

Anyway, this is still a good game, and I am really looking forward your new project !! Also, I think I will find some time playing Singularity: Tactics Arena.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I'm the developer.

I think Tactics Arena will answer a lot of the questions you have, but also introduce a lot of new ones.

Personally I am a little unhappy with how I wrapped up Memoirs. I feel like in some ways I wrote myself into a corner and also that the game became more esoteric than I intended. But we shall see.

Hopefully my future games will help things make more sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom