Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima V Part 10: Mount Doom

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny

Part 10: Mount Doom

There ain't nothin' left to do 'cept rescue LB, so let's get started.

vultimav1102.png

First I sell off all my unwanted equipment to get 9999 gold. I then make sure I have 99 of every reagent and plenty of MANI, IN LOR, VAS MANI, AN NOX, IN VAS GRAV CORP, and IN FLAM HUR spells in addition to plenty of gems and torches.

vultimav1104.png

Since the Codex told me to look under Shame, I do that. I find the entrance on the shores of the Lost Lake as usual.

vultimav1105.png

This is the entrance, but it looks like there is no exit.

vultimav1106.png

To find it, I first attack the wall to the south of me.

vultimav1108.png

I then move one space to the right and attack the new wall.

vultimav1110.png

I repeat the process again to reveal the exit. I climb over the boulders and leave the room.

vultimav1111.png

This is Shame. Doesn't it look nice? The ladder is not too far away.

vultimav1112.png

vultimav1113.png

The sign is not kidding! The ladder leads all the way down to level 7. I head due south to the next ladder.

vultimav1114.png

Here is a map of the final level. I enter the southern room.

vultimav1115.png

What the hell?! I slaughter the inhabitants of this room and head east.

vultimav1116.png

I search the wall to find a hidden door.

vultimav1117.png

What pretty rubble!

vultimav1118.png

Well, here I am, but where is here?

vultimav1119.png

Apparently, here is in the middle of a marsh. I take the path to the east as far as I can, and then I blink east.

vultimav1120.png

I am now on the western shores of a massive lake near the center of the world.

vultimav1121.png

I fly east. Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid taking some damage.

vultimav1122.png

I head for the lava flows.

vultimav1123.png

I now make sure to wear the Amulet of Lord British, since only it will light my path in the coming darkness.

vultimav1124.png

I find the entrance to the dungeon Doom in the center of the world.

vultimav1125.png

I yell VERAMOCOR, and the jaws of Hell open. I make sure I am healthy and head in.

Floors 1-7 are not very hard; they are mostly a giant maze. Levels 7 and 8 are a different story.

vultimav1127.png

This is the entrance. The purple walls are ethereal fields that only Lord British's Scepter can dispel. If any of the Shadowlords were still alive, they would be waiting in this room to take back the Scepter.

vultimav1132.png

I dispel the fields to the west and exit the room.

vultimav1134.png

I then take the ladder down.

vultimav1136.png

I then take the northernmost ladder down to level 3.

vultimav1137.png

Here is a (partial) map of level 3.

vultimav1138.png

I head for the southeast corner and search the eastern wall for a hidden door.

vultimav1139.png

This leads to a room containing three daemons and a ladder. I dispel the central field and kill the daemons when they file through the narrow opening. I then climb down the ladder.

vultimav1142.png

There is no reason not to continue down to level 5, so I do.

vultimav1143.png

I then head east and use the grappling hook to climb up the pit to level 4.

vultimav1144.png

I head south and climb down the pit in the center of a cross-shaped hallway.

vultimav1146.png

I then head east and turn north at the intersection.

vultimav1147.png

I then climb up the nearest pit to level 4.

vultimav1148.png

I head to the northeast and search the eastern space for a hidden pit. I climb down it.

vultimav1149.png

I drop down directly on the ladder to level 6, so I head down.

vultimav1150.png

Here is a crappy map of level 6. I head east to the dungeon room.

vultimav1151.png

This battle is not too hard.

vultimav1152.png

It is especially easy when I can cast IN VAS GRAV CORP!

vultimav1153.png

When all the monsters are dead, I head south.

vultimav1154.png

I take the nearby ladder down to level 7. I make sure to rest-up and head for the room to the north.

vultimav1155.png

This battle is basically impossible to win. Not only are there two dragons, three daemons, five sand traps (those monsters in the center), but also there are 3-4 wisps that appear when I take off LB's crown. I probably tried fifteen times to beat this room and did not even come close.

vultimav1165.png

My most promising strategy was to step back and cast IN VAS GRAV CORP once or twice to defeat the visible enemies. Unfortunately, I always got my ass kicked by the wisps.

vultimav1174.png

Finally, I say, "screw it", and I cast IN VAS POR YLEM (i.e. Tremor) once to get rid of the sand traps (the center sand trap is hiding the exit ladder).

vultimav1175.png

I then run for the ladder.

vultimav1176.png

I get no opportunity to rest up for this battle. First, I cast IN VAS GRAV CORP to get rid of the enemies to the south.

vultimav1177.png

I cast it again to mop-up the foes to the west.

vultimav1180.png

I attack the northwest section of wall to reveal a bridge across the water. Unfortunately, it also reveals a never-ending supply of mongbats. I skedaddle westwards.

vultimav1181.png

I rest after that ordeal. Next, I head west to another ladder up.

vultimav1182.png

This room leads directly to another encounter with mongbats. I open with AN TYM (i.e. Time Stop).

vultimav1183.png

I then head to the north and cast IN FLAM HUR.

vultimav1184.png

I then use my magic axe mop up the rest.

vultimav1188.png

I then attack the wall east of the grating.

vultimav1189.png

This reveals a passage to the north.

vultimav1190.png

I head up there and attack its wall.

vultimav1191.png

This reveals a passage to the south. I head down there and attack its wall. This reveals the exit to the south.

vultimav1192.png

There is nothing to do except go down the pit, so I do.

vultimav1193.png

I head west and climb up the pit.

vultimav1194.png

Here is a map of this part of level 7. First, I rest until I am healed.

vultimav1196.png

I search the center of the hallway for a pit and climb down it.

vultimav1197.png

I fall down into a room of sharks and wisps. First, I put on LB's crown. Next, I move to the right of the room and cast IN VAS GRAV CORP several times to kill the sharks. Then I focus on the wisps. I kill one with my last Glass Sword, and I use my Magic Axe and Mystic Sword on wisps far and near respectively. Since I cannot cast VAS MANI in combat, I cast MANI a few times when I am low on HP. It does not help much, though.

vultimav1198.png

After a long battle, I prevail.

vultimav1199.png

I head clockwise around the lake. When I step on a tile at the top, a hidden passage is revealed.

vultimav1200.png

I enter it and push the northern wall to reveal the exit to the east.

vultimav1201.png

I make sure I am fully healed and then climb up the ladder.

vultimav1203.png

This is it! This is the final battle of the game! It is time to pull out all the stops!

vultimav1204.png

vultimav1205.png

First, I use physical attacks to kill the mongbats north and south of me. I make sure to avoid stepping on the tile to my east because it causes the room to slowly fill with lava.

vultimav1207.png

vultimav1209.png

I then dispel the southern section of the field.

vultimav1210.png

Next, I weed out some of the enemies with IN VAS GRAV CORP.

vultimav1211.png

I move south and cast it again. The rest is mere clean-up duty.

vultimav1212.png

Haha! I did it! I exit the room to the east.

vultimav1213.png

Waitaminute, there is nothing here!

vultimav1214.png

I search the space to the east and find a hidden pit. I climb down it.

vultimav1217.png

What an odd room! I notice the mirror seems to have a reflection of a man dressed in purple robes and a crown. Could it be him?

vultimav1218.png

When I approach the mirror, I am absorbed by it.

vultimav1219.png

vultimav1220.png

vultimav1221.png

Yes.

vultimav1222.png

vultimav1223.png

vultimav1224.png

vultimav1225.png

vultimav1226.png

vultimav1227.png

vultimav1228.png

vultimav1230.png

vultimav1232.png

vultimav1235.png

vultimav1237.png

vultimav1239.png

vultimav1242.png

vultimav1244.png

I DID IT AGAIN!!

P.S. The runic at the bottom translates to:
THE QUEST OF THE AVATAR IS FOREVER

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lol.

"Gone also are your tv set, stereo and living room furniture"

Silellak

Cipher
Huzzah!

Was it Ultima 4 or 5 that had the dungeon room full of hostile children? I kept waiting for that to pop up, but it never did. I was also thinking "wasn't there an Ultima where you came home and your house had been robbed?"...right before I read the Ultima 5 ending.

Funny Lazarus bug: when I got to the Dungeon Doom, there was a Shadowlord waiting that - after "talking" to it - joined the party without a word and helped me clear the rest of the dungeon. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be an easter egg or a bug, but when I posted about it on the Lazarus forums, the creators were just as confused as I was. I wish I could find the exact post, but the Lazarus forums seem to be gone. :?

Elzair

Cipher
Silellak said:
Was it Ultima 4 or 5 that had the dungeon room full of hostile children?

I don't know. It might have been Ultima IV that first had the hostile children, but I never found either of the rooms. Does anyone know where they are?

Funny Lazarus bug: when I got to the Dungeon Doom, there was a Shadowlord waiting that - after "talking" to it - joined the party without a word and helped me clear the rest of the dungeon. I wasn't sure if it was meant to be an easter egg or a bug, but when I posted about it on the Lazarus forums, the creators were just as confused as I was. I wish I could find the exact post, but the Lazarus forums seem to be gone. :?

That is very weird! I remember that in Lazarus I could select a Shadowlord and had limited control over it, but it would disappear if I tried to move it too far. The Shadowlords were buggy in all the versions of Lazarus I tried.

Silellak said:
Huzzah!

Was it Ultima 4 or 5 that had the dungeon room full of hostile children? I kept waiting for that to pop up, but it never did. I was also thinking "wasn't there an Ultima where you came home and your house had been robbed?"...right before I read the Ultima 5 ending.

Ultima IV had the room full of children. No, I cannot remember what dungeon they were in. Wrong seems to hit a chord, but I cannot be sure.

I refused to look at the last V screens posted here because I am doing a run through of my C64/128 version at the moment, and don't want to have my memory jogged too much. One of my favourite games of all time and a must play for anyone into computer role playing games.

All down hill now, though VI, the two VI spinoffs and VII to a degree have some decency left in them. I don't count the Underworlds in as proper Ultima's, though they are good games. Ultima 8 and 9 don't exist.

DaveO

Erudite
The Worlds of Ultima spinoffs are okay, but IIRC the first one is not too long to complete. I'll probably resume the Savage Empire I was going thru after completing my current Let's Play. I won't look at the Ultima 8 and 9 stuff since that's where the bad Ultimas are, although #1 seems bad due to item exploits.

BTW, congrats on making it thru the first 5 Ultimas Elzair!

Ammar

Scholar
Re: Ultima V Part 10

Elzair said:
This battle is basically impossible to win. Not only are there two dragons, three daemons, five sand traps (those monsters in the center), but also there are 3-4 wisps that appear when I take off LB's crown. I probably tried fifteen times to beat this room and did not even come close.

You can usually beat these kinds of battle when you have the crown as you do. Kill the visible enemies first as you did and then simply equip a halberd and attack the wisps who actually are behind the walls. As long as you don't take off the crown they can't even reach you. Of course it's a little silly that you can attack through walls with halberds.

Elzair

Cipher
I now have gotten about 300 photos of me playing Ultima VI. I have explored Britain, Skara Brae, Yew, Trinsic and (partially) Moonglow. I have found the Runes of Justice and Honor. I should probably do an update soon, but I wanted to get everything ready. Does anyone know where I can find a complete transcript of all the dialogue? The only ones I can find are incomplete, and I am too lazy to complete the work myself. Furthermore, does anyone know where I can find a collection of all the portraits used in the game?

Since this game features a LOT more dialogue than the previous ones, I was wondering whether I should stick with my format of transcribing dialogue or should I switch to including only the most important conversations and paraphrasing the rest.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VI Part 1: It's a Trap

Ultima VI: The False Prophet

box.jpg

Part 1: It's a Trap

I now have come to Ultima VI: The False Prophet. This was the first Ultima game (apart from the non-canonical Ultima: Escape From Mount Drash) that was not released on the Apple ][, the original platform. Since that system was getting long in the tooth by 1990, this was probably a good thing. This is also the first Ultima game to maintain a single-scale, constant overhead view throughout the game. This means that there is no difference between the world map, towns and dungeons; they are all part of one map. Another first is the use of VGA graphics and limited support for animation. Characters can finally walk, for instance. The world has also become more interactive. This game is also the first in the series to support a mouse (at least for DOS).

The main drawbacks is that the single-scale view makes Britannia seem a whole lot smaller than in the past. I know the size was just an illusion, but the new style feels ... cramped.

Anyway, let's fire it up!

ultimavi0000.png

ultimavi0001.png

Here are the two usual loading screens. Now I watch a cutscene of the Avatar (me) watching T.V. The 'shows' are all animated and cycle through quickly. I can use the number keys to change channels.

ultimavi0002.png

ultimavi0003.png

This guy gets blasted by lightning. Hah!

ultimavi0004.png

ultimavi0005.png

The view slides from this image to the next.

ultimavi0006.png

It appears the Avatar likes Domino's Pizza. The view then zooms in on the window.

ultimavi0007.png

ultimavi0008.png

ultimavi0009.png

ultimavi0010.png

ultimavi0011.png

The view then shifts right to the door.

ultimavi0012.png

I then head out the door.

ultimavi0013.png

ultimavi0014.png

ultimavi0015.png

ultimavi0016.png

ultimavi0017.png

This scene always bothers me. It looks I stop at the circle, see the stone, walk to the circle, pick up the stone, turn around, walk all the way back to the place where I saw the stone, turn around to face the circle, and then examine the stone in my right hand. Why the hell would I do all that? It is either that or I have the power of telekinesis on Earth. WTF?!

ultimavi0018.png

ultimavi0019.png

ultimavi0020.png

ultimavi0021.png

ultimavi0022.png

ultimavi0023.png

ultimavi0024.png

ultimavi0025.png

ultimavi0026.png

ultimavi0027.png

ultimavi0028.png

Here is the main screen. Notice the cursor in the corner? Ultima VI is also the first Ultima game to support a mouse. I click on "Transfer a Character." To properly transfer a character I have to copy my SAVE.GAM file from my Ultima5 directory into the directory DOSBox thinks is C:\ULTIMA. Since I have configured DOSBox's C: drive to be ~/Games, I create a new directory, ~/Games/Ultima, and copy my SAVE.GAM file into it.

ultimavi0029.png

I click option C.

ultimavi0030.png

Success! As usual, it divides my XP by 10.

ultimavi0033.png

I now can choose a portrait for my Avatar. I choose the one that best resembles me. When I go back to the main menu, I click "Journey Onward." This plays the rest of the intro "movie."

ultimavi0035.png

ultimavi0036.png

ultimavi0037.png

ultimavi0038.png

ultimavi0039.png

ultimavi0040.png

ultimavi0041.png

ultimavi0042.png

ultimavi0043.png

ultimavi0044.png

ultimavi0046.png

ultimavi0047.png

ultimavi0048.png

ultimavi0049.png

ultimavi0050.png

ultimavi0051.png

ultimavi0052.png

ultimavi0053.png

ultimavi0054.png

ultimavi0055.png

ultimavi0056.png

Uh oh! It looks like we have company!

ultimavi0057.png

This is the main screen of the game. The viewport is smaller than in the past, and all the icons draw attention to themselves, which makes the viewport seem even smaller. While the past games contain on-screen notifications, they did not draw attention to themselves nearly as much.

Since the game supports the mouse, I can enter commands by either pressing the key corresponding to the first letter of the command (i.e. the traditional way) or by clicking on one of the icons at the bottom of the screen and then clicking on the target. The icons are, from left to right, as follows: Attack, Cast, Talk, Look, Get, Drop, Move, Use, Rest, and Begin/Break-off combat. Drop is only useful when I have my inventory selected, and the icon at the right changes depending on whether or not I am in combat mode. Basically, all combat mode does is enable companion AI. Since the game begins in combat mode, it is time to deal with the three gargoyle hitchhikers.

ultimavi0058.png

Since I only have a sword equipped, I move in close. To demonstrate the new interface, I click the red sword icon on the left and then I click on the gargoyle I want to attack. The mouse cursor is always smaller than the cursor displayed when using the keyboard.

ultimavi0059.png

After the gargoyles are dispatched, I loot their bodies. To see the items they drop, I must look at their corpses. I select the eye icon and then select a body. Since there are no more enemies, I click on the blue sheathed sword icon on the right to Break-off combat.

ultimavi0060.png

Notice how the icon has now changed to a red icon showing two crossed blades? I can press that to enter combat mode.

ultimavi0061.png

If an object is light enough, I can carry it around. I get it by clicking the fifth icon from the left and selecting the object I want to pick-up. I must be standing near an object to get it.

ultimavi0062.png

I click on the icon representing me to display my inventory. Notice the dead body is now here? The paper doll on the left shows what items I have equipped and the 3x4 matrix on the right shows what items I am carrying. "E: 1/29s" means that my currently equipped items weigh 1 stone, and they can weigh up to 29 stone. "I: 23/58s" means that I am carrying 23 stones worth of items, and I can carry a maximum of 58 stones. The two maximum ratings seem to depend on a multiple of either 1x or 2x my strength score.

ultimavi0063.png

To drop the dead body from my inventory, I open my inventory, click on the sixth icon from the right, and select the dead body.

ultimavi0064.png

I then select the location to drop the corpse at. I have to drop it nearby.

ultimavi0065.png

I look at all the dead gargoyles to see what loot they have. I get what I want and then talk to Lord British.

ultimavi0066.png
ultimavi0067.png
ultimavi0068.png

Copy Protection?! SHIT!!

ultimavi0069.png

He is talking about the manual. This time it was written by Lord British himself.

u6british.jpg
What art reapers remnants of?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Enchanted Forest.

ultimavi0070.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Tomb Walls.

u6british.jpg
Thou art correct.

u6british.jpg
What valued item canst one find near the spawning grounds of Hydras?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Nightshade.

u6british.jpg
Thou art correct.

ultimavi0072.png
ultimavi0073.png
ultimavi0074.png

ultimavi0075.png
ultimavi0077.png
ultimavi0079.png

u6british.jpg
Thus far they have mainly been attacking the shrines of the eight virtues.

ultimavi0081.png
ultimavi0082.png
ultimavi0083.png

ultimavi0084.png
ultimavi0085.png
ultimavi0086.png

ultimavi0087.png
ultimavi0088.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Shrines.

ultimavi0089.png
ultimavi0090.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Virtues.

u6british.jpg
Stay strong in thy commitment to the eight virtues. It is our belief in them that sets us apart from the cruel invaders who would destroy all that we hold dear.

ultimavi0091.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bye.

u6british.jpg
May fortune favor thee.

I now speak to Geoffrey. He is the armored fellow on the right.

ultimavi0093.png
ultimavi0095.png
ultimavi0097.png

ultimavi0099.png
ultimavi0101.png

u6geoffrey.jpg
Good luck, and my prayers go with thee. Best not waste time talking... Who knows what acts of villainy the gargoyles are comitting even as we speak?

I then speak with Nystul, LB's court mage.

ultimavi0102.png
ultimavi0104.png

u6nystul.jpg
Might I examine it?

ultimavi0106.png

ultimavi0108.png

u6nystul.jpg
This is interesting.

ultimavi0111.png

u6nystul.jpg
She has studied many languages, and perhaps she can decipher this book for thee.

u6nystul.jpg
One more thing, Avatar...

ultimavi0113.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6nystul.jpg
Such items are quite rare.

ultimavi0114.png

I speak to LB and show him the stone.

ultimavi0116.png
ultimavi0118.png

ultimavi0120.png
ultimavi0122.png

I now explore the castle for a while.

ultimavi0123.png

I must use a door to open it. This gets annoying fast.

ultimavi0124.png

It is nice that Origin included so many descriptions. To the left of the throne room is the room LB gave me.

ultimavi0125.png

I search the chest to reveal a bunch of reagents. I also grab the bag to the southwest. Bags both make it easier to organize my inventory and (possibly) increase the number of items I can carry.

ultimavi0126.png

On the table is my spellbook. Like in the last game, a character can only cast spells from a circle lesser than or equal to his or her current level, and all spells require various reagents and are cast by various incantations. Unlike the last games, a character in Ultima VI needs a spellbook in their hand to cast spells. Furthermore, spell books do not automatically contain all the possible spells. I need to buy/find most spells from various sources (mostly vendors). Here are all the new (and old) words and their respective meanings.

An: Negate
Bet: Small
Corp: Death
Des: Down
Ex: Freedom
Flam: Flame
Grav: Energy
Hur: Wind
In: Create
Jux: Danger
Kal: Summon
Lor: Light
Mani: Life
Nox: Poison
Por: Move(ment)
Quas: Illusion
Rel: Change
Sanct: Protect(ion)
Tym: Time
Uus: Up
Vas: Great
Wis: Know(ledge)
Xen: Creature
Ylem: Matter
Zu: Sleep

ultimavi0128.png

I take the key on LB's nightstand. I head west and then south.

ultimavi0129.png

I loot the chest in Nystul's room for some nice items.

ultimavi0130.png

Laid out on a table are all the different potions in the game. I believe they have the same uses as in the last game with two exceptions. Maybe it is just a bug in my game, but an orange potion puts me to sleep, and a blue potion wakes me up. Weird!

Yellow: Lesser Heal
Red: Cure Poison
Green: Poison
Blue: Awaken
Orange: Sleep
Black: Invisibility
White: Light
Purple: Protection

ultimavi0131.png

EEK!! I find a rat roaming the southwest corner of the castle.

ultimavi0132.png

I wonder if it talks?

ultimavi0133.png

ultimavi0134.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

ultimavi0135.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
No.

u6sherry.jpg
Oh, that's too bad.

ultimavi0136.png

I loot the kitchen larder for some cheese and head back.

ultimavi0137.png

One cool thing about this game is that I can hit the number keys 1-6 (or so) to put a character in solo mode. This means that I can directly control that character, and the other party members will remain where they are. To demonstrate this, I press 1 to put the Avatar in solo mode. To get back to normal, I move near the others and press 0 to put me back in party mode.

ultimavi0138.png

Unfortunately, Sherry the rat is gone. However, there is an interesting crystal ball in the corner. When I look at it, I will either take slight damage or I can view a specific part of the overworld.

ultimavi0139.png

I view the location 10N 10E.

ultimavi0140.png

Since LB told me I could take anything I needed, I do just that. I now head out to the courtyard.

ultimavi0141.png

It looks like the portcullis is down and the drawbridge is up. I use the key LB gave me to unlock the door to my south, and I flip the lever inside to raise the portcullis.

ultimavi0142.png

I move right, use the same key to unlock the door, and turn the crank to lower the drawbridge.

I am now a free man! I will cover my initial exploration next time.

Silellak

Cipher
Hooray, Ultima VI! My third favorite in the series, but still one of my all-time favorite games. It's been ages since I played it though, so I was really looking forward to this one.

Isn't this also the first Ultima where you don't really have to worry about Karma? Or is that Ultima VII?

I'd suggest paraphrasing non-plot conversations, both for your sanity and our own. Obviously it's up to you to decide what is worth repeating verbatim and what is only worth of a summary.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Aye, like others here I played Ultima VI to death, or at least most of all the Ultimas.
Only one I have an original boxed copy of. With a cloth map. CLOTH MAP!!

Great LP series, keep 'em comin'

Elzair

Cipher
Does anyone know how to find the location of the Rune of Spirituality? I know it is in Marney's chest, but are there any other hints why it is there?

Furthermore, is the Seance spell useful at all? I tried casting it on myself and Quenton's ghost, and nothing happened.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom