Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

U6 was sort of the beginning of the end with my love affair with the Ultima series.

Course I played the C64 version which was a big pain in the ass giving how it was constantly loading every 5 seconds.

Can't say I liked the seamless world design much either.

It wasn't bad, but the game sort of lost its scope, and it was easier for me to navigate those glorious tiles of 5.

Then 7 continued 6's trends, but had shitty real time combat, and party members who endlessly wanted to eat every minute.

U8 sadly was a shitty version of Landstalker on the Genesis, and U9 a shitty version of the N64 Zelda games.

(I didn't really get much play or a chance to play the 4 PC spinoff games and the Game Boy ones either.)

A sad end to a once glorious trendsetting series.

I still want to replay the entire series instead of just doing a 1-4 year interval replay of Ultima 1 I seem to do every now and then.

ecliptic

Liturgist
U6 was my favorite. None of the other ones pulled me in as well. Even po-dunk townspeople seemed to have about fifteen minutes worth of dialogue to talk through. The world just felt so rich. Ahhhh. I remember that was one of the games that I actually had a full notebook for.

Elzair

Cipher
Sorry I am taking so long to update it. Before I published my next update, I wanted to upload all the various portraits used in the game, but that is a very tedious process, and I have been procrastinating. When I am done, would the Codex be interested in more forum avatars? How should I go about submitting them?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Damn,your stamina in making this LP-run is really impressive. Keep it up !

Elzair said:
How should I go about submitting them?

Make them 100x100 (or less) png/jpeg files, put them all together in a post here and pm DU.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VI Part 2

Ultima VI: The False Prophet

Part 2

In this update I explore the town of Britain.

As always, I forgot to show you the map in the first update, so here it is.

map.jpg

Since this game can be confusing to navigate, here is the map to Britain that I stole from the cluebook.

u6britain.png

Past the drawbridge I am approached by this peasant.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

ultimavi0143.png

Oooookay then . . .

ultimavi0144.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Disguise.

ultimavi0145.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Commoners.

ultimavi0146.png

ultimavi0147.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Chuckles.

ultimavi0148.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Blackthorn.

ultimavi0149.png

ultimavi0150.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Dungeons.

ultimavi0151.png

Suuuuuuure you can . . .

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bye.

ultimavi0152.png

ultimavi0153.png

Moving on . . .

I try to speak with Arty, the shipwright.

ultimavi0161.png

Uh oh! I wonder if he can hear me stealing his sextant?

ultimavi0162.png

Yep. Shit! I reload.

ultimavi0163.png

The Kings Way is to the east.

ultimavi0164.png

West is the Spiritual Path.

I then head for the city hall and speak to Tholden.

ultimavi0166.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6tholden.jpg
I am Tholden von Bazillius, Chancellor to Lord British. In my younger days, I was known as 'The Werecat of the Wine Cellar'...

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Werecat.

u6tholden.jpg
I could tell you stories... But there's no time for that now.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Lord British.

u6tholden.jpg
A fine ruler indeed. 'Tis a pleasure to keep his kingdom running smoothly for him.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6tholden.jpg
All the little details of governing, all the paperwork falls on my shoulders. Someone must do it, and yet I miss the days when I was a carefree adventurer.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

u6tholden.jpg
The rune and mantra of Compassion are in the keeping of the bards at the Conservatory.

u6tholden.jpg
I entrusted them with the rune due to their compassionate nature. As for the other runes - they are no longer together, as they were when the Codex was recovered.

u6tholden.jpg
Since then, they have become scattered throughout the land.

u6tholden.jpg
Each was sent to a town near its shrine. If thou dost ask the lords of each of these towns, they should be able to tell thee more.

u6tholden.jpg
The towns are Moonglow, Jhelom, Yew, Minoc, Trinsic, Skara Brae, and New Magincia.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bye.

u6tholden.jpg
I hope I have been of assistance, Elzair.

Indeed you have!

ultimavi0168.png

I head north on Avatar Lane.

ultimavi0169.png

Since it is getting dark, I head north into the wilderness to rest. I can only rest outside of town when no enemies are nearby.

ultimavi0170.png

I make Shamino stand guard since he is unharmed, and we rest until morning. I then head to the tailor.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6fyodar.jpg
My name is Fyodor. What is thy name? Pleased to meet thee, Elzair.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6fyodar.jpg
I make cloth upon my loom. Perhaps you'd like to buy some.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Loom.

u6fyodar.jpg
I push the pedals with my feet--like this. Then I pull these levers. The pattern depends on which combinations of levers and pedals I move. My father's loom was not so complicated as mine. This design came from one of Lord British's old books.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Book.

u6fyodar.jpg
Lord British treasures antiques. There is one book for which he hath offered a reward:

ultimavi0171.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Wizard of Oz.

u6fyodar.jpg
By Master L. Frank Baum, I believe. It concerns a girl adventurer, a strange land, and a clever balloonist.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Balloon.

u6fyodar.jpg
Are they not made of silk, in the form of a great bag?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Silk.

u6fyodar.jpg
'Tis a wondrous strong stuff, silk, and very light. I regret that I am not skillful enough to weave silk.

ultimavi0172.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Charlotte.

u6fyodar.jpg
She is the only person I know of who can weave silk.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bye.

u6fyodar.jpg
May our paths cross again some day.

ultimavi0173.png

This is Lynn, the fletcher. She sells arrows and bolts.

ultimavi0176.png

This is Efram, the provisioner. He sells . . . waitaminute, did you say powder kegs?! Holy shit! I am going to have some fun with those! Unfortunately, I cannot afford them right now. :(

ultimavi0177.png

ultimavi0178.png

ultimavi0180.png

ultimavi0181.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6gwenneth.jpg
Once was I Iolo's apprentice, but then he decided to retire.

u6gwenneth.jpg
Now 'tis my shop, and I craft the bows sold here!

u6gwenneth.jpg
'Course, 'tis still called Iolo's Bows, out of respect for the master. At this, Iolo blushes humbly.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Iolo.

ultimavi0182.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Gargoyles.

u6gwenneth.jpg
I hear from the soldiers that the gargoyles are fierce opponents.

u6gwenneth.jpg
Some gargoyles move like the wind itself, and can strike you like lightning bolts!

u6gwenneth.jpg
The gargoyles also have a strange and terrible weapon.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Weapon.

u6gwenneth.jpg
'Tis called a boomerang, and it is a most bizarre ranged weapon.

u6gwenneth.jpg
It flies out to strike its target, then returns to the hand that threw it!

u6gwenneth.jpg
Against such magic the soldiers chose to arm themselves with good, stout Britannian bows!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bye.

u6gwenneth.jpg
Farewell, all of you. Farewell to thee!

u6gwenneth.jpg
Iolo, I'll see thee again soon with thy share of this month's profits!

I now head for the Blue Boar tavern to pound some brewskies.

ultimavi0183.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Pleasure.

u6anya.jpg
'Tis good to talk with thee again. Things have been slow around here since the gypsiesleft. Good! Perhaps thou might stay and talk with me a while, before I'm back about my work.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6anya.jpg
I am Anya.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6anya.jpg
I run this tavern to support my family. The hours are long, but my husband offers what help he can. We make enough to pay for my daughter's schooling, so 'tis all worthwhile.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Family.

u6anya.jpg
My husband Matt, and my daughter Ariana.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Husband.

ultimavi0184.png

u6anya.jpg
I only wish he could hear our daughter play, just once.

u6anya.jpg
But 'twill ne'er come to pass.

u6anya.jpg
He lives in a world of eternal silence.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Accident.

u6anya.jpg
Her face brightens suddenly. You have the look of one who practices the art of magic.

ultimavi0186.png

u6anya.jpg
I know 'tis a lot to ask, but wilt thou try?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6anya.jpg
Oh, thank you, Elzair!

I now head for the royal mint.

ultimavi0187.png

u6terri.jpg
Say, aren't you the Avatar?

u6terri.jpg
Yes, I recognize you from your portrait...

u6terri.jpg
My mother used to tell me stories about you when I was a girl.

ultimavi0188.png

ultimavi0189.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Man.

ultimavi0190.png

ultimavi0191.png

ultimavi0192.png

As you might have guessed, there is no way to follow up. What a cocktease!

It is now time to advance the main plot a little. I speak to the bell-ringer in the center of town.

ultimavi0446.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6daver.jpg
I'm Daver McCord.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6daver.jpg
Every hour of the day, I ring the bell a number of times.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Bell.

u6daver.jpg
According to the numbers on the hourglass, you see.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Numbers.

u6daver.jpg
Well, I usually know what timeit is up here in my head somehow. But just in case, I start this hourglass at sunup, turning it over every nine hours.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Time.

u6daver.jpg
It is especially important for those with shops. They know when to open for business, eat lunch, close, and that sort of thing. Another of Lord British's innovations, this bell thing.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Business.

u6daver.jpg
Hmmm. I guess that you don't keep a regular schedule, being the Avatar and all. Probably out till all hours, collecting runes and such.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Runes.

ultimavi0447.png

ultimavi0448.png

u6daver.jpg
After the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom was brought back from the underworld, Lord British gave the runes to the lords of the eight cities.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Eight Cities.

u6daver.jpg
Let's see now. He counts them off on his fingers.Minoc, Trinsic, Jhelom, Yew, Skara Brae, Britain, Moonglow... ...Ah yes, and New Magincia. I hear each of the lords knows a mantra.

Who wants to bet that we are going to have to collect all the runes again?! Since ol' Tholden is the closest mayor, I go and speak to him again.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Runes.

ultimavi0449.png

Damnit! I knew finding the rune would be miniquest! I head to the Conservatory and speak to its head, Kenneth.

ultimavi0450.png

Damnit! Oh well, at least the little bitch is nearby!

ultimavi0451.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

ultimavi0452.png

u6ariana.jpg
Do you need it for something?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6ariana.jpg
Are you on an important quest?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6ariana.jpg
I'm not supposed to let anyone else have it. But if you truly need it... I don't know what I should do. I know! My parents run the Blue Boar Tavern. Go ask them if you can borrow the rune. If they say 'tis okay, I'll give it to you.

Fuck! Oh well, I head over to the Blue Boar and speak with Anya again.

ultimavi0453.png

ultimavi0454.png

Thank god that was straightforward!

ultimavi0455.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

ultimavi0456.png

Whohoo! I have my first rune! Alright, I am sick of Britain. Let's head out.

I travel to the southern part of town and head west.

ultimavi0223.png

Shamino hears something after a ways. It turns out to be just some dude.

ultimavi0224.png

What a douchebag! Let's head on.

ultimavi0225.png

Further west I finally find some action. Apparently a pack of mongbats are engaging a group of brigands.

ultimavi0226.png

ultimavi0227.png

ultimavi0228.png

After killing all the enemies, I loot the bodies.

ultimavi0229.png

Hello, darling! Where have you been all my life?

ultimavi0230.png

ultimavi0231.png

I head south at the fork in the road.

ultimavi0232.png

I head south some more past a few streams. The path then turns west and leads directly into Skara Brae. Since it is getting late, I stop by the inn.

ultimavi0233.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6gideon.jpg
Gideon is what I'm called by one and all.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Gideon.

u6gideon.jpg
'Tis an old family name meaning 'one who spreads the word.' My wife says I spread too many of them.

Gee, I wonder if Garriott could be alluding to something? I then ask Gideon about his wife, Marta.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Marta.

ultimavi0235.png

u6gideon.jpg
She told me the lanterns went out and a spectre drifted in front of her. She let out such a scream that I heard her from our bedroom.

I wonder why a ghost would be present in the Haunting Inn? This has never happened before!

ultimaiv471.png

Oh, wait!

ultimavi0238.png

I keep finding this book in nightstands all over town I wonder who could be planting them there? :roll:

ultimavi0240.png

This man is Stivius, the wine merchant. He is the one who puts the 'spirit' in Spirituality.

ultimavi0241.png

I head north and find the docks. What is this? A skiff?!

ultimavi0242.png

It looks like I can borrow it without any repercussions.

ultimavi0243.png

I row north and disembark on a little island. I see who the local inhabitant is.

ultimavi0244.png

ultimavi0245.png

This batty fellow is Horance. He sells reagents, spells and spare spell books (in case I ever lose mine). He specialized in attack spells. Since I have talked to a good number of people, I head back to the inn.

ultimavi0246.png

u6gideon.jpg
He was a dear soul. Gideon looks past you into the distance. I could not believe it was him by the well. He lay so quiet, no sign of pain on his face, and just an amulet in his bloody hand. He looks at the floor and mumbles.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Amulet.

u6gideon.jpg
We went and told Yorl what had happened. When he returned with us to the well, he removed the amulet from Quenton's hand and took it to Marney. It took courage to tell her the news.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Marney.

u6gideon.jpg
She is strong in her beliefs. When we buried her father, she sang a song she wrote for him. He softly sings. 'You put your love in my heart, and now it's fallen apart, but all alone in the dark, I will remove the pain.' 'There is a sting in my eyes, and your name in my cries, but still I realize, that you are part of me.'

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Quenton.

u6gideon.jpg
We came to this island many years ago. Marta and I took care of him when Mondain's henchmen killed his wife Elisabeth. We care for his daughter, Marney, now. She's such a brave girl. Neither I nor the travelers staying here heard anything the night he was killed.

Wait, did you see Marney's mother was killed my men in the service of Mondain?! That was back in Ultima 1?! How long ago was this?! What the hell is going on?!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Mondain's Henchmen.

u6gideon.jpg
Yes, Quenton and Yorl were out fishing when a few of those evil ones landed here. They were fleeing Lord British's men and apparently thought our hamlet was safe haven. They went around asking for some person named Renthar.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Renthar.

u6gideon.jpg
We had no such person in this town. Not by that name.

I have no idea what this refers to. I don't think there is a person named Renthar in this game? Is this simply a loose end on Origin's part?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Elisabeth.

u6gideon.jpg
She was an angel. Blonde hair, green eyes, tall slender body. I can still see her face as the men led her to their boat. They said that after she got them past their pursuers she would be freed. He hides his face in his hands. Our beliefs held us still. She handed something to her little girl. Then she boarded the skiff, and they were gone.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Something.

u6gideon.jpg
I couldn't see what it was.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Boarded.

u6gideon.jpg
Elisabeth bowed her head as they sailed off. He attempts to clear his throat. Speaking again, his voice is a whisper. They found her body along the coast south of here.

Alright, enough with the tangents; let's get back to Quenton.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Killed.

u6gideon.jpg
They say that Quenton was killed by a Gargoyle. I've heard these beasts eat their prey. Why did they leave Quenton alone then?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Travelers.

u6gideon.jpg
I questioned them about the night of the murder. Still, of all of us, my Marta and I had the best vantage point from which to witness the murder. Yet we saw and heard nothing.

Hmm . . . this is getting interesting. Anyway, I pay for a room and sleep the night away.

ultimavi0264.png

It's now a brand new day! It is time to explore the town some more.

ultimavi0265.png

In the vineyards I find a ghost. Who wants to bet this is the ghost of Quenton?

ultimavi0266.png

ultimavi0267.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Murder.

ultimavi0268.png

WTF?! This ghost is retarded! Let's find somebody else!

I now speak to the mayor of town.

ultimavi0269.png

u6trenton.jpg
You may call me 'Your Honor.

What a prick!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

u6trenton.jpg
Quenton, not I, was in charge of its safe keeping. Just as I suspected, when he died, so too did our chances of finding the rune. You see, he never told anyone where it was located.

FUCK!! It looks like I have to dig for clues to the rune's whereabouts. I decide to speak to Quenton's grieving daughter, Marney.

ultimavi0488.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6marney.jpg
My father chose an ancient word for my name. It means the cool breeze after a storm has passed. Marney.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Marney.

ultimavi0489.png

u6marney.jpg
She grabs a locket that hangs around her neck and opens it. Inside is a folded piece of cloth with words printed on it. She begins to read. At first we met and dark clouds gathered, the thunder sounding your approach. Then comes the storm of our hearts pounding and in the end the marney's touch.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Poem.

u6marney.jpg
Certainly you can look at it. She hands the tiny cloth to you.

ultimavi0490.png

ultimavi0491.png

Inside a basket made of promise, You'll find my dreams of us have slept.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Basket.

ultimavi0492.png

I do just that.

ultimavi0493.png

Hello, what do we have here?

ultimavi0495.png

Oh yeah! Two down; six to go!

Well that about wraps it up for today except . . . I have not solved the mystery of Quenton's murder. I guess I should question a few more suspects. First up is Yorl, Quenton's best friend. A likely alibi.

ultimavi0273.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Quenton.

u6yorl.jpg
He and I were mates. I can still remember the moment they told me he was dead.

ultimavi0274.png

u6yorl.jpg
They came to my house before dawn and told me that Quen had been killed by gargoyles.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Gideon.

u6yorl.jpg
He owns the Haunting Inn. He's good people, though his wife is a bit of a nag.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Wife.

u6yorl.jpg
She always complains that my house is an eyesore. I tell you if she comes around here, I'll show her what an eyesore really is! He slaps you on the back and laughs.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Eyesore.

u6yorl.jpg
This is a fishhouse. It's meant to be an eyesore. He laughs again.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Stivius.

ultimavi0275.png

Hmm . . . maybe I should question Stivius again?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Murder.

ultimavi0277.png

ultimavi0279.png

u6stivius.jpg
I ran like the wind to my doorway. I was sure I was dead.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Dark.

ultimavi0285.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Noise.

ultimavi0281.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Whispering.

ultimavi0282.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Languages.

ultimavi0283.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Alchemist.

ultimavi0284.png

I can ask Horance about languages, but he offers me no help. It looks like one can only find out who killed Quenton by accident. I will do so now. I head east towards Britain. I arrive at the home of a very rude man named Michael.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Quenton.

ultimavi0289.png

ultimavi0290.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Killed.

ultimavi0291.png

ultimavi0292.png

ultimavi0293.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Debt.

ultimavi0295.png

ultimavi0296.png

ultimavi0297.png

Yeeaaah . . . I am beginning to suspect this guy may have had something to do with the murder. However, there is nothing that I can do about it (except kill him out of vengeance). Yorl will even tell me that Michael (the rude guy) used to be one of Mondain's henchmen, and I still cannot point the finger at him. Oh well! Fuck Quenton! He was a schmuck anyway!

Next time I will recruit Jaana and visit more places.

Silellak

Cipher
What, you mean this isn't the start of an optional romance subplot? Or are you just saving yourself for Shamino?

This batty fellow is Horance
Horance! :twisted:

Yeeaaah . . . I am beginning to suspect this guy may have had something to do with the murder. However, there is nothing that I can do about it (except kill him out of vengeance). Yorl will even tell me that Michael (the rude guy) used to be one of Mondain's henchmen, and I still cannot point the finger at him. Oh well! Fuck Quenton! He was a schmuck anyway!
Yeah, I'm not sure if they intended this "quest" to be incomplete, or if it was just cut for time. I think the killer is revealed in Ultima VII, though I could be wrong.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VI Part 3

Ultima VI: The False Prophet

Part 3

Remember the Orb of the Moons that I got back on Earth? Well, now it is time to use it.

First, I have to have it in my inventory. Next, I Use it, and then I must select a position to throw it to (apparently it comes back automatically). If I throw it to any square within two squares of me, I will open a red gate to an important place in the game. The Orb of the Moons makes travel so easy that it is almost a built-in cheat.

ultimavi0300.png

To demonstrate I throw the stone two squares to the right. From now on, I will refer to Orb of the Moon coordinates in Manhattan units.

ultimavi0302.png

The red gate transports me to Yew.

u6yew.png

Here is a map. I head to the Slaughtered Lamb, the local tavern.

ultimavi0303.png

Well, if it isn't my old friend Jaana!

u6jaana.jpg
Elzair! 'Tis a great joy and relief to see thou hast returned to Britannia, Avatar!

ultimavi0304.png
ultimavi0305.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Join.

u6jaana.jpg
Thou needst but ask and I will gladly join, milord..

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

ultimavi0311.png

I now have another party member. I will not get another for quite a while. With my new companion in tow, I set out to explore the rest of the town.

ultimavi0307.png

I wonder why that man is in the stocks? The man's name is Sinjen; he claims he put himself in the stocks to better learn the true meaning of Justice. He also says he is a warrior.

ultimavi0308.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
:roll:

ultimavi0309.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rats!

I wonder what if there is anyone amusing locked up in prison. I speak to the jailor, Pridgarm.

ultimavi0312.png

jailor.jpg
Good afternoon, milord. What can I do for you?

One of the cool things about this game is that characters will casually mention the time of day and address the player by gender. It is a nice touch.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

jailor.jpg
Name's Pridgarm.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

jailor.jpg
I mind the jail. Got a prisoner in solitary right now.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Jail.

jailor.jpg
Got four of the cleanest cells you could ask fer.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Cell.

jailor.jpg
Say, you looking to get the keys to my jail cells?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

jailor.jpg
Well, ya know, I shouldn't do this. But Her Ladyship is a little too strict about who she puts in here. So I make up fer it by being a little careless with the keys, if you take my meaning. He tosses you some keys, then turns his back on you.

Sweet! I can use these keys to open up all the doors in the jail. I think this is only useful if I get thrown into jail after having been bad.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Prisoner.

jailor.jpg
Feller broke into the grave of His Lordship, the late Mayor. He's in solitary, right over there.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Solitary.

jailor.jpg
You'll need my key to get in there.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Key.

jailor.jpg
Yup, I could give you the key.... But not without Her Ladyship's permission.

Rats! It looks like I need to find the lady Lenora.

ultimavi0325.png

But first I release some prisoners.

I wander around town and eventually find the mayor's office.

ultimavi0318.png

Oh, lordy, she looks like a bitch!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6lenora.jpg
I am Lenora, Lady Mayor of Yew.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6lenora.jpg
It is my honor to preside over this town and its courts. We also provide the finest wood in the realm.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Courts.

u6lenora.jpg
In Yew we take pride in our system of justice.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Justice.

ultimavi0319.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

ultimavi0320.png

ultimavi0321.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Permission.

ultimavi0323.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6lenora.jpg
Very well then. Putting quill to parchment, she drafts a quick letter. The jailer will now let you in, or verily shall he answer to me!

I now head back to the prison.

ultimavi0324.png

This time Pridgarm gives me the key to the eastern cells.

ultimavi0326.png

It's too bad I don't have the Magic Lock/Unlock combination. I will explain that little exploit later.

ultimavi0327.png

This is Boskin, the rapscallion who made off with the Rune of Justice.

u6boskin.jpg
Who's there? the thief calls insolently.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Elzair.

u6boskin.jpg
The thief's tone becomes more respectful as he recognizes you. 'Strewth, it's the Avatar! You've got to get me out of 'ere, milord!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Out.

ultimavi0330.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

u6boskin.jpg
I'll tell you where the rune is if you'll let me go.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Go.

u6boskin.jpg
You mean it, milord? Are they gonna let me go 'ome?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6boskin.jpg
His face lights up. I knew I could count on you, milord!

u6iolo.jpg
As you leave, Iolo whispers to you. Maybe it was necessary, Elzair, but lying makes me uneasy. Even to someone like him.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Hey, I intend to release him . . . eventually. It is not like it was a complete lie!

Well, I might as well see if I can persuade the bitch to let him go.

ultimavi0333.png

ultimavi0334.png

Well, it looks like that did not work. Anyway, let's get the rune.

ultimavi0336.png

I move the plant out of the way and find the Rune of Justice lying underneath just like Boskin said. Now I want to get back to Britain, but I don't feel like using the Orb of the Moons. Instead I will show you a brief primer on magic in Ultima VI.

ultimavi0337.png

First, I have to make sure I am holding the spellbook in a hand.

ultimavi0338.png

Next, I look at the spellbook to see the list of spells I can cast. I click on the Help spell to learn its incantation and the required reagents.

ultimavi0339.png

Luckily it does not require any reagents. I now cast Kal Lor.

ultimavi0340.png

One moment I am in Yew.

ultimavi0341.png

The next I am in LB's throneroom. The Help spell is really useful for getting out of jams. The only downside is that it advances time forward a little bit. Since I haven't yet spoken to Chuckles, LB's favorite jester, I do so.

ultimavi0343.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Clue.

ultimavi0344.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6chuckles.jpg
Perhaps I'll tell you anyway! Do you think I will?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
No.

u6chuckles.jpg
Congratulations! You're exactly right! I won't tell you the clue...

ultimavi0345.png

Oh boy, this guy can piss me off. We will see who has the last laugh.

I now decide to fool around with the Orb of the Moons some more. I now throw it to 1 South 2 East.

ultimavi0349.png

This takes me to the Shrine of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom on the Isle of the Avatar. Let's check it out.

ultimavi0350.png

Shit! It looks like I need to get a quest from the shrines to check it out. The problem is that the gargoyles have captured all of them. I now throw the Orb of the Moons to 2 South, which takes me to Trinsic.

u6trinsic.png

Here is a map.

ultimavi0350.png

I now engage in a little horse-wrussling. Unfortunately, it looks like I might not be able to take my horse with me through moongates.

ultimavi0352.png

In the middle of town is the Rune of Honor. It is far too tempting to just take it.

ultimavi0353.png

Another interesting thing about the game is that party members will inform you of nearby creatures/events. I now head into the tavern.

ultimavi0354.png

This is Mandrake the bard. He has decided the principles of Truth, Love and Courage are a little dull, so he has come up with a new virtue system based on the 'principles' of Wine, Women and Song.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6mandrake.jpg
Mandrake, my friend, Mandrake. Like the root, but taller, handsomer, and louder.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Louder.

u6mandrake.jpg
So I've heard.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Root.

u6mandrake.jpg
It grows mostly in swamps, but I'm found mostly in taverns.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Taverns.

u6mandrake.jpg
I visit them all. The Fallen Virgin and the Sword and Keg are rowdy and rough. The Blue Bottle serves Frasier's Folly - the finest all in all Britannia. But the Cat's Lair is still my favorite.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Fallen Virgin.

u6mandrake.jpg
'Tis in Buccaneer's Den - no place for the mild.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Sword and Keg.

u6mandrake.jpg
Over in Jhelom, it is. They always love a good brawl.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Jhelom.

u6mandrake.jpg
Lots of warriors there. They fight just about every night, but they don't mean anything by it. 'Tis all in fun.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Blue Bottle.

u6mandrake.jpg
'Tis in Moonglow. Derydlus often drinks there - the man can put away more ale than any other I've met. Many's the time he's drunk me under the table.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Derydus.

u6mandrake.jpg
Give him my regards if you see him.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Frasier's Folly.

u6mandrake.jpg
You should try some! 'Twill do thee a world of good.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Cat's Lair.

u6mandrake.jpg
A wonderful place! Dr. Cat gives me free drinks just for singing. He loves games of all kinds too. Mention my name to him and he will be sure to treat thee well.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6mandrake.jpg
I travel all over to spread important news throughout the realm - and tales and songs as well. If you have time enough, I'll favor you with all three.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
News.

u6mandrake.jpg
My travels were interrupted recently in a most fearsome manner. I was captured by the gargoyles, and taken down to the other side of the world, where they held me prisoner. But such was my good fortune that one of them helped me to escape. He spoke little of our tongue, but I believe he said his name was 'Beh Lem.'

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Gargoyles.

u6mandrake.jpg
I've seen their handiwork many a time in my travel. I believe they have taken over all of the shrines of the eight virtues.

ultimavi0356.png
ultimavi0357.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Stuffy.

u6mandrake.jpg
Truth, love and courage . . . hah! If it had been up to me, I'd have chosen wine women and song instead. Think of the virtues those would lead to!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Lead.

ultimavi0360.png
ultimavi0361.png
ultimavi0362.png

Add in trannies and multi-headed dicks, and Mandrake here would be a True Codex Patriot.

I now head into the kitchen to see what's cooking.

u6sandy.jpg
You see a shifty-eyed man with a strange smile. He smells of rancid grease and cooking smoke.
Hello there, milord.

ultimavi0363.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
I want a pastry!

ultimavi0364.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Favor.

ultimavi0365.png

u6sandy.jpg
I'll give you one guess to this riddle.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
I don't know. An egg.

ultimavi0366.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Wait, did you just see you needed a dragon's egg?!

ultimavi0367.png

Yeah, let's do some other stuff before worrying about this . . . favor.

ultimavi0369.png

This means the Kings Way. Now, let's fuck around with the Orb of the Moons some more! I teleport to a random location.

ultimavi0370.png

Well, this does not seem so bad.

ultimavi0371.png

Shit!

ultimavi0372.png

Double Shit! Let's get outta here. I throw the orb to 2 North 2 West. This lands me in Moonglow.

u6moonglow.png

Here is another map.

ultimavi0374.png

Well, I am certainly not going in there!

ultimavi0376.png

Well, who do we have here?

u6aganar.jpg
Thou art the Avatar! I saw thy portrait in Lord British's castle. If there be any assistance I can offer, thou needst but ask it.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6aganar.jpg
I am Lord Aganar of Moonglow.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6aganar.jpg
I keep things running smoothly here. 'Tis not difficult in a town of such honesty.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Honesty.

u6aganar.jpg
Honesty is the virtue we prize most highly here in Moonglow. We are closest to the Shrine of Honesty, and indeed, the Rune of Honesty was entrusted into my care some years ago.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

ultimavi0378.png
ultimavi0379.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Mantra.

ultimavi0377.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Beyvin.

u6aganar.jpg
Haven't seen him around lately. Penumbra should be able to tell you where to find him.

I now head north to the Lycaeum since Nystul said I might find someone able to translate that book Iolo found.

u6lycaeum.png

As usual, here is a map of the place. I head into the central building.

ultimavi0383.png

u6mariah.jpg
Good morning, milord, can I help thee?

Does she even remember we were (briefly) traveling companions? It seems like she has never met me before. Weird!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6mariah.jpg
I'm sorry to put you to the trouble, but I'm only supposed to help those who know the ways of magic.

What?! There's MORE copy protection?!

ultimavi0384.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Wind.

ultimavi0385.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6mariah.jpg
They call me Mariah.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6mariah.jpg
I'm the newest member of the Council of Wizards. Somebody has to keep things running smoothly. In my spare time I use the library to pursue my own studies.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Council of Wizards.

u6mariah.jpg
They get so caught up in their work sometimes that they forget even to eat and sleep!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Library.

u6mariah.jpg
'Tis the finest library in all Britannia. I study many different things, but I find learning old languages the most interesting. One can learn so much about how our own language developed!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Book.

ultimavi0386.png

u6mariah.jpg
Oh! I've seen this script before!

ultimavi0387.png

u6mariah.jpg
I have learned only a little from studying it, but I can make out a few words.

ultimavi0388.png
ultimavi0389.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Tablet.

ultimavi0390.png
ultimavi0391.png

It now looks like I have to find some gypsies in a pub. That is helpful! I now talk to Thariand, the librarian.

ultimavi0392.png

u6thariand.jpg
So many books to keep organized, it's a wonder I have any time for my own studies... Can I help you with something?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6thariand.jpg
I am Thariand, of the blue star.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6thariand.jpg
I'm the librarian. I prefer to spend my time studying magic, but I'll help you find some books if you keep it quick.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Blue star.

u6thariand.jpg
All the students of Nicodemus bear this sign.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Nicodemus.

u6thariand.jpg
He lives southeast of Yew.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yew.

u6thariand.jpg
Somebody there should be able to give you directions.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Magic.

u6thariand.jpg
Were I to master all the arcane lore contained within these volumes, I'd be the greatest sorcerer of all time! Of course, finding all the right books is no small task...

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Books.

ultimavi0393.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Fiction.

u6thariand.jpg
In that category I can recommend: 821.34 Rzl4n, The Caverns of Freitag; Klr 1734 N92 v3, Around the World in a Washtub; 417.8 Baum c6, The Wizard of Oz.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Nonfiction.

u6thariand.jpg
In that category I can recommend: Ce 437.2 N19, Mating Rituals of the Northern Plains Centaur; 027 z811f, Of Dreams and Visions; 718.5 B34 z5, The Lost Art of Ballooning; Y19 T343 LP, Summoning Incubi for Fun and Profit.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Reference.

u6thariand.jpg
In that category I can recommend: 665.556 Dlz, Dilzal's Almanac of Good Advice; a001.3 bfb, Priliwig's Universal Compendium of Knowledge; 998.99 ZWX, The Lost Book of Mantras. Is there anything else you wanted to find?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
No.

u6thariand.jpg
Fine. You should have no trouble finding what you want once you have the call number. You do understand how our books are organized, don't you?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
No.

u6thariand.jpg
Well then, I'd suggest you look it up in The Beginner's Guide to the Dewey Decimal System. Its call number is T17 0035 r16RL.5 v43.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
:smack:

It looks like I will have to come back here later.

ultimavi0398.png

I wonder if I can buy it, or at least if I can loot it. I put larcenous thoughts behind me and head for the northwest building. This is Xiao. She sells spells, reagents and extra spellbooks

ultimavi0399.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6xiao.jpg
I am Xiao.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6xiao.jpg
I serve on the Council of Wizards. I also teach spells and sell magical reagents.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Council of Wizards.

u6xiao.jpg
'Tis our task to keep the forces of magic in balance throughout the land. We also do what we can to promote the eight virtues.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Balance.

ultimavi0400.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Shrines.

u6xiao.jpg
Thariand can tell thee more.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Spells.

ultimavi0401.png

I choose to buy the Telekinesis spell because it allows me to manipulate objects from a distance.

ultimavi0402.png

I also buy the Dispel Field spell scroll and a few others I can't remember. It actually took me a little while to figure out how to add spells to my spellbook. I will explain it now.

ultimavi0403.png

First I open up my inventory and move my mouse over a spell scroll.

ultimavi0404.png

Then I use the Move command to move the scroll to the spellbook. It is quite simple, but it took me a while to figure out what I needed to do. It is now time to see Penumbra.

ultimavi0405.png

I now cast Dispel Field to remove the magical fields. I think the purple ones are sleep fields; the green ones are poison fields; the orange ones are fire fields, and the white ones are lightning fields.

ultimavi0406.png

I eventually clear a path across the room. After all that trouble, whoever is in here had best be worth the effort.

ultimavi0407.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6penumbra.jpg
I am the one known as Penumbra.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Penumbra.

u6penumbra.jpg
I am the daughter of the eclipse.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6penumbra.jpg
I am a fortune teller.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Fortune.

u6penumbra.jpg
Yes, I can foretell your future for you. I require a small donation for my services.

ultimavi0408.png

u6penumbra.jpg
After a time, she speaks.The future looks dark. All is unclear. Some more gold would shed further light on your destiny... How much do you give her?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Oh, Jesus Christ!

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
Though all is dark, I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Quickly - more coins before I lose the thread of this vision! How much do you give her?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
This is one of the worst fucking ripoffs I have ever seen!

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
Much conflict lies before you. Your end... I cannot see it. More gold is needed. How much do you give her?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
GODDAMN GYPSIES!!!

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
You shall travel throughout the land before you are through. A few more coins and all should be clear. How much do you give her?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
It better be, or so will your face.

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
You will journey into the depths of the earth... Strange creatures will you face... I can almost see the end now.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Uggggghhhhh!!

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
You and your companions will face terrible choices... You will need powerful magic to prevail... Wait... There is some barrier before me. Give me just one more coin and I think I can break through it.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
This better be it . . .

u6maleavatar1.jpg

u6penumbra.jpg
Yes, now all is made clear to me!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Finally.

ultimavi0410.png
ultimavi0412.png

u6penumbra.jpg
She opens her eyes. I can see no more for now. Leave me, that I might rest.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Mantra.

u6penumbra.jpg
For five gold coins I can use my powers to divine the mantra for you. Shall I do this?

u6maleavatar1.jpg
*sigh* Sure.

u6penumbra.jpg
She closes her eyes in concentration. For long minutes you wait.

u6dupre.jpg
*whispering* What are we waiting for! She's doubtless fallen asleep, and you've wasted good money for nothing...

ultimavi0413.png

Alright, so I have relearned the Mantra of Honesty, AHM. Now I need to ask her where to find Beyvin and the Rune of Honesty.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Rune.

ultimavi0414.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Beyvin.

u6penumbra.jpg
Yes he was a terribly honest fellow. Alas, though, he lacked the virtue of tact. He told the truth once too often, and those he spoke of did not appreciate it. He's buried in the catacombs under Moonglow now, pushing up daffodils. Even virtue has its price.

I now head for the tavern and speak to Manrel.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Name.

u6manrel.jpg
My name is Manrel.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Job.

u6manrel.jpg
I'm a woodworker. I also dabble in alchemy from time to time.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Woodworker.

u6manrel.jpg
I make furniture, cabinets, walking sticks, and the like. Perhaps I can make something for you someday.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Alchemy.

u6manrel.jpg
I'm trying to learn how to make healing potions, but I don't have the formula right yet. I did stumble across a wicked recipe for red mead, though.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Red Mead.

u6manrel.jpg
Alas, there's little call for my brew in this town, with the Blue Bottle serving Frasier's Folly.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Fraser's Folly.

u6manrel.jpg
One of the finest libations you'll find anywhere.

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Beyvin.

u6manrel.jpg
Oh, have you been to visit my cousin's grave?

ultimavi0416.png

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Yes.

u6manrel.jpg
Well, perhaps you have your reasons... Okay, you can have the key. But you have to take these flowers and leave them there.

I take the flowers and the key. However, I don't want to do any dungeon-crawling now, so I will try to find those gypsies Mariah mentioned. I teleport to Yew.

ultimavi0417.png

There must be gypsies nearby!

u6maleavatar1.jpg
Whoopie! </sarcasm>

ultimavi0424.png

This is Taynith. She tells me to find Zoltan who is nearby.

ultimavi0425.png
ultimavi0426.png

Zoltan agrees to tell me about the tablet for a few coins.

ultimavi0428.png
ultimavi0429.png
ultimavi0430.png

ultimavi0431.png
ultimavi0432.png
ultimavi0433.png

So, it looks like I need to head for Buccaneer's Den to pick up the trail of the missing half of the tablet. Before that, I want to find Nicodemus.

ultimavi0434.png

I ask around town, and this is all I get.

Alright, here is a map to where Nicodemus is located.

u6maptonicodemus.png

ultimavi0441.png

When I finally find his house, I cannot enter because he has placed a magic lock on his door. I then travel to Skara Brae, buy the Unlock Magic spell from Horance, teleport to Yew and travel all the way back to here. He better have some nice stuff.

ultimavi0444.png

I cast Ex Por to unlock the door. I then talk to Nicodemus. Like all the others, he sells spells, reagents and spare spell books.

ultimavi0445.png

I buy Magic Lock (An Por) and maybe a few reagents.

Alright, that is all for now!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Just started following your LP. Epic stuff, good sir. Now please excuse me while I go back 12 pages and have some fun reminiscing.

Elzair

Cipher
Thanks, Sceptic! Although my LP of Ultima I probably left out too much.

Elzair

Cipher
I have been wondering, "does this LP need more bestiality in it?" Tell me if you want to see some rat porn.

Hieromancer

Educated
Elzair said:
I have been wondering, "does this LP need more bestiality in it?" Tell me if you want to see some rat porn.

What sort of question is that? Of course we would, and I'm pretty confident that I speak for everyone when I say this.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, the next update is ready, but it should probably be on the next page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom