Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Hieromancer

Educated
Still more bump?

[Edit: enough bump.]

Elzair

Cipher
Silellak said:
Congratulations, good sir.
:thumbsup:

savage1274.png

Man, you'd think by now the Avatar would've learned not to shatter powerful, corrupted magical artifacts into shards. He could've just created a million Shadowlords!

Does the ending to Savage Empire lead directly into Martian Dreams, or are they mostly disconnected?

Yes and no. Professor Spector will be a central character in this next game, but for the most part, they are unrelated.

Elzair

Cipher
Martian Dreams Part 1: Stranger in a Strange Land

Ultima Worlds of Adventure: Martian Dreams

box.jpg

Part 1: Stranger in a Strange Land

Martian Dreams is the second (and last) title in the Worlds of Ultima series (which was renamed Ultima Worlds of Adventure). Like its predecessor, it uses the Ultima VI engine and plays more like an adventure game than an RPG. Sadly, the environmental action is nowhere near as extensive as in Savage Empire. However, the premise is very unique: the Avatar must travel back in time to rescue a bunch of famous people from the Victorian era who have been stranded on Mars. Well, let's just jump right in!

martian000.png

martian001.png

martian002.png

martian024.png

martian003.png

martian025.png

martian026.png

martian004.png

martian005.png

martian027.png

martian007.png
martian008.png
martian009.png

martian010.png

martian011.png

martian028.png

martian029.png
martian030.png

martian012.png

martian014.png

martian015.png

martian031.png

martian016.png

martian017.png

martian018.png

martian032.png

martian019.png

martian033.png

martian022.png

martian023.png

Here is the main menu. There is more to the introduction, so I will show it now. We now see the Avatar sitting in his chair at home.

martian034.png

martian2002.png

martian2003.png

martian036.png

martian037.png

martian038.png

martian040.png

martian042.png

martian043.png

martian044.png

martian046.png

martian2004.png

martian047.png

martian049.png

martian052.png

martian054.png

martian2005.png

martian2006.png

martian2007.png

martian2008.png

martian055.png

martian056.png

martian2009.png

martian2010.png

martian058.png

martian059.png

martian060.png

martian061.png

martian062.png

martian063.png

martian064.png

martian065.png

martian067.png

martian2011.png

martian068.png

martian2012.png
martian069.png

martian2013.png

martian2014.png

martian070.png

martian2015.png

martian2018.png

martian2016.png

martian2019.png

martian2017.png

martian2020.png
martian2021.png

martian071.png

martian2022.png

martian073.png

martian2023.png

martian075.png

martian2024.png

martian076.png

It is now time to create my character. As one may have guessed, it involves a 'session' with Sigmund Freud.

martian2025.png

martian2026.png

mdfreud.png
Good day, I am Sigmund Freud. I have been meeting the other travelers. So I may know you better, I was wondering if you would mind answering a few questions. Since we have not been properly introduced, may I ask how you wish to be addressed?

mdavatar.png
Elzair.

mdfreud.png
A pleasure, Elzair. I am continuing the research that I began in Vienna prior to joining this expedition.

mdfreud.png
First, allow me to ask you this: With which of your parents do you most closely identify ... your father or your mother.

mdavatar.png
I guess I identify with my father the most.

mdfreud.png
Naturally. Most men see themselves as more like their fathers, while they are closer to their mothers. In fact, they usually see their father as a rival for their mother's affection.

mdfreud.png
Now, Elzair, lie back on your seat and get completely relaxed. Try to clear your mind and respond as you think proper. Personally, I do not think that you belong with us on this expedition. Does this statement A) anger you, B) frighten you, or C) neither, because my opinion does not matter?

mdavatar.png
C.

mdfreud.png
So you feel that this interview will serve no purpose. That is unfortunate, though it will not affect the outcome. If you are ready, Elzair, we will begin.

mdfreud.png
You are once again a child. Your mother calls you in away from play with your friends. Would you: A) obey and go inside at once, or B) defy her wishes and remain with your friends?

mdavatar.png
B.

mdfreud.png
When we arrive on the Martian surface, we will assuredly need to explore our surroundings. Do you think that we should A) send out one of us as a scout, or B) travel together as a group.

mdavatar.png
B.

mdfreud.png
Pretend that you have been commissioned to build a monument that exemplifies your beliefs in life. Would this monument be more like A) a grand tower, or B) a beautiful garden?

mdavatar.png
A.

mdfreud.png
So! You have a strong association with masculine imagery. I sense that you need to suppress the womanly portion of your personality. Perhaps you will accept it someday.

mdfreud.png
I thank you for your answers, Elzair. My research is proceeding well and I hope to publish my findings someday. Rest assured that I will not mention you by name as an example.

It is now time to proceed to the main game.

martian126.png

We land on the martian surface. Nellie Bly and Professor Spector will accompany me on my journey. Dr. Spector appeared in the last game, and Nellie Bly is a New York journalist who is famous for two things: faking mental illness to do an undercover story on abuses at a New York asylum and (temporarily) holding the record for the fastest trip around the world in emulation of Jules Vernes' Around the World in Eighty Days.

martian101.png
martian102.png
martian103.png

Anyway, here are the other crew members. I now speak to Mr. Freud.

martian116.png

mdavatar.png
What will you be doing on this mission?

martian117.png

mdavatar.png
What have you learned about dreams?

mdfreud.png
Ja, they tell much about the person involved. For example, many people dream that they are being chased by something they cannot see.

martian119.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about psychology in general.

mdfreud.png
That is my chosen profession. It is psychology which has been the goal beckoning me from afar. I have begun work on theories of the structure of personalities.

mdavatar.png
What is your goal?

martian120.png

mdavatar.png
What have you learned about the personality?

martian121.png

mdavatar.png
What is the Id?

mdfreud.png
It is the mechanism for the release of tension that is brought about by a stimulus.

mdavatar.png
What is the ego?

mdfreud.png
It is the means by which one deals with reality and one's external environment.

mdavatar.png
What is the superego?

martian122.png

mdavatar.png
Cool!

Now, let's talk to the cowboy.

mdavatar.png
Howdy partner!

martian104.png

mdavatar.png
What are you up to?

martian105.png

mdgarrett.png
I'm a pretty good shot, if need be.

mdavatar.png
I am sure you are, but I need to check up on Dr. Blood.

mdblood.png
Greetings, my friends!

martian106.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

mdblood.png
I am a physician by profession. I heal those who are injured and I specialize in the diseases of the lung.

mdavatar.png
You are a physician?

mdblood.png
You know, a doctor. Admittedly, I have fallen from favor in the medical community, as my innovations, are too 'modern' for those who favor the status quo.

mdavatar.png
What kind of innovations?

mdblood.png
I have promoted the use of Oxygenized Air, which I feel is critical in the treatment of ailments of the respiratory system.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Oxygenized Air.

martian109.png

mdavatar.png
What are the effects of oxygen deprivation?

mdblood.png
If you carry on in an oxygen-poor environment, you will notice a marked reduction in your physical strength and agility.

martian110.png

mdblood.png
Certainly, Elzair, this is not a manner in which you should operate for any length of time.

Basically, if a character suffers from oxygen deprivation, they get a penalty to their three attributes.

mdavatar.png
You also said you could heal me, right?

martian111.png

I now speak to Nikola Tesla. He was the inventor of Alternating Current among many other things. The ISU named the unit for magnetic field strength after him.

martian112.png

mdtesla.png
*after looking out the window* God, good! My calculations were precise, as usual. We are not far from the 1893 landing. It should be just east of here, within easy walking distance. The others may have important information you can use on your journey. It would be wise to speak with everyone before exiting the capsule. I would also check with Mr. Garrett for some utensil with which to pry open the door of the capsule. It seems to be jammed closed.

mdavatar.png
What will you be doing while I investigate the planet?

mdtesla.png
It will be my job to monitor the communications from Earth through the giant reflectors.

mdavatar.png
Garrett, do you have anything that could pry open the capsule door?

mdgarrett.png
Yes, Sir, I do carry a lot of different tools with me, and I know how to use 'em. Got me a prybar and some other doodads. Speakin' of equipment, one thing you might oughta do is check out the hold over there to see what we have in the way of gear. I hear tell they've got everythin' we need in there.

mdavatar.png
Will the prybar work?

mdgarrett.png
This here prybar works like a charm on anythin' what's stuck together. You need this for anythin', jest ask.

mdavatar.png
I need something to pry open the capsule door. It seems to be jammed.

mdgarrett.png
Well, Sir, I have this here prybar that should fix the problem. Would you like to give it a try?

mdavatar.png
Yes.

martian113.png

mdavatar.png
Now, tell me about the rest of the gear.

mdgarrett.png
If you got everythin' out of the hold you think you'll be needin', you've got everythin' we brought along for ya.

martian127.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the sextant.

martian128.png

I wonder if Tesla knows more about the sextant.

mdavatar.png
Tesla, what do you know about the sextant?

martian143.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about calculating coordinates?

mdtesla.png
The location for a place should be calculatable using the sextant. It will give you a set of two numbers which you can then use to find the spot again later. The coordinates for the earlier landing site are 28S, 153W.

I now check the hold for all the gear I need.

martian129.png

I dress warmly to endure the cold Martian surface.

martian130.png

This lantern will improve my vision in the dark.

martian2027.png

Uh oh! Some of these crates are bolted shut!

martian2028.png

I use the prybar to open them up.

martian2030.png

The sextant gives me my current location in degrees, and the spyglass lets me look several screens ahead in any direction.

martian2031.png

Here are some of the best weapons in the game. The Belgian combine is the second best weapon, and it has three settings: rifle, shotgun and combine. Setting it to 'combine' causes it to shoot a rifle bullet and a shot simultaneously. I keep the Belgian Combine and give the rifle to Spector and the revolver to Nellie Bly.

martian131.png
martian132.png
martian133.png
martian134.png

Here are some random items. I end up taking the shovel, pick, wrench, tongs and pliers because they are, for the most part, the only useful tools.

martian2032.png

Tesla interrupts me before I can pry open the door with some copy-protection.

martian114.png

mdtesla.png
And now, I must test your knowledge of the world outside this portal.

mdtesla.png
What gas keeps the Martian airsquid aloft?

mdavatar.png
Hydrogen.

martian115.png

mdtesla.png
You are indeed well prepared to venture forth on the planet's surface. You may proceed with your prybar on the hatch, my friend.

martian2032.png

martian135.png

martian136.png

martian137.png

Everyone begins suffering from oxygen deprivation immediately.

martian138.png

martian141.png

martian142.png

mdblood.png
I will remain here to help if needed.

Mdmap.jpg

Here is a map of the planet Mars. One weird thing is that the 0 longitude is at the left and right edge of the map.

I head east post-haste.

martian144.png

martian145.png

martian146.png

A jumping bean attacks me on the way. I kill it easily.

martian147.png

I quickly arrive at the site of the 1893 capsule. I now loot the place.

martian148.png

I give the pistol rounds to Nellie Bly.

martian2034.png

I have to move some stuff out of the way to get to the crate with the weedkiller spray-gun. There is some spray in the capsule.

martian149.png

Apparently, this site is not uninhabited.

martian150.png
martian151.png

mddibbs.png
It will be wonderful exploring with you, Sir. Let's go to the traders' outpost at Arsia Mons and get you outfitted for survival on Mars!

mdavatar.png
What is your name, my good man?

martian155.png

mdavatar.png
What are you doing here?

martian157.png
martian159.png

mdavatar.png
What have you been doing while waiting?

martian160.png

mdavatar.png
What survival techniques have you learned?

martian161.png

mdavatar.png
How do I guard against the cold?

martian163.png

mdavatar.png
How do I handle the low oxygen in the atmosphere?

martian164.png

mdavatar.png
Who is McGee?

martian165.png

mdavatar.png
What is oxium?

martian166.png
martian167.png
martian168.png

mdavatar.png
Who are the traders?

martian156.png
tr

mdavatar.png
Where is their outpost?

mddibbs.png
The trading outpost is to the east, Sir, at Arsia Mons. I believe the approximate coordinates are 12S, 129W.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about what has happened on Mars?

mddibbs.png
After the first few months of working on the space cannon, Sir, our expedition separated into four groups to reconnoiter. You see, we had run out of iron ore for Mr. Carnegie to make into steel. Production of the space cannon depends upon acquiring more steel. We haven't found it yet, you know. One group became traders. The other groups were lead by Mr. Jack Segal, Mr. Percival Lowell, and a Mr. Grigor Rasputin. There were some interesting findings.

mdavatar.png
There is a space cannon?!

mddibbs.png
Indeed, Sir, work had already begun on the return vehicle. We dug the shaft at Olympus and placed the lining.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Segal's group.

martian169.png

mdavatar.png
Where is Olympus?

mddibbs.png
Olympus is Jack Segal's settlement to the north. The coordinates are 10N 110W. It's where we originally began construction of the space cannon. After Mr. Segal's group took over the cannon site, however, not much work could be done. They're a bit cautious of others, Sir.

mdavatar.png
Why?

mddibbs.png
Some of the expedition saw the dangers of the Dream Machine as did I, Sir. I stayed with them for a while. Their reactions have been a bit extreme, though, Sir. They have fortified the site of the space cannon and defend against anyone they consider contaminated.

mdavatar.png
What do you mean by contaminated?

martian170.png
martian171.png

mdavatar.png
What is the Dream Machine?

mddibbs.png
Most dangerous technology, Sir, I wouldn't get involved with them if I were you. Most dangerous.

mdavatar.png
How are they dangerous?

mddibbs.png
*scowl* If you must know ... There seems to be one in each of the major Martian cities. They are in various states of repair. The one in Elysium is in fine working order, dash it all.

mdavatar.png
What are the major Martian cities?

martian153.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Lowell's group.

martian173.png
martian174.png
martian175.png

mdavatar.png
Where is Elysium?

martian176.png
martian178.png

mddibbs.png
They believe they are Martians!

mdavatar.png
What have you found out about the Martians?

martian152.png

mdavatar.png
Is there more to their madness?

martian179.png
martian180.png

Tell me about Rasputin's group.

martian181.png
martian182.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Argyre.

martian183.png
martian184.png
martian185.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Hellas.

mddibbs.png
Hellas is to the west of the landing site, Sir, at 27S 77E. Originally, none of the parties were based there. After the blokes in Elysium started showing signs of being a bit balmy, if you know what I mean, Sir, one of their members, Marcus, took up residence in Hellas.

mdavatar.png
That is all for now.

martian186.png

Dibbs grabs the elephant gun and ammo in the capsule's cockpit.

martian187.png

I grab some weedkiller for my spray-gun in the cargo hold. Notice the phlogistonite canisters in the back.

martian188.png

I now head northeast to Arsia Mons.

martian189.png
martian190.png

On the way we are attacked by a pack of sextellegers. They put up quite a fight.

martian192.png

It looks like I am getting close.

martian193.png

mdavatar.png
I made it!

Now let's talk to the cowboys.

martian194.png

mdavatar.png
Which one are you?

martian197.png

William Frederick Cody, better known as Buffalo Bill was an iconic American cowboy best known for organizing rodeo shows.

mdavatar.png
What do you trade?

martian198.png

mdavatar.png
What do you know about oxium?

martian199.png

mdavatar.png
What items do you have?

martian200.png

mdavatar.png
Who is your supplier?

martian195.png
martian196.png

Hmm. I now talk to Calamity Jane. This is what Wikipedia says about her.

Martha Jane Cannary Burke, better known as Calamity Jane (May 1, 1852 – August 1, 1903), was a frontierswoman, prostitute, and professional scout best known for her claim of being an acquaintance of Wild Bill Hickok, but also for having gained fame fighting Native American Indians. She was a woman who exhibited kindness and compassion towards others, especially the sick and needy, who also was an alcoholic and traded sexual favors for money. This contrast helped to make her a famous and infamous frontier figure.

martian201.png
martian203.png

mdavatar.png
Yes.

mdjane.png
I hope you fought some of them off. Those pesky things get into my goods and carry stuff away. Right now, though, with our supplier gone, business ain't so good anyway.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your supplier.

mdjane.png
Well, his name's Cooter McGee, an he's a prospectin' type. Brings us oxygen rocks ever so often.

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about Cooter.

mdjane.png
Yep, he's a wild one all right. Got him a place over in Noctis that he gets his rocks from, I suppose. You know business would shore be better if someone like you could go and find out what's ailin' him. That way, I could start sellin' oxygen rocks again. Would you go and find out what Cooter's problem is and set things right? I'd be much obliged.

mdavatar.png
*sigh* Fine.

mdjane.png
:) Good. We all need that supply of oxy-rocks. Lemme tell Bill to give you some of them oxy-rocks to help along the journey.

mdjane.png
*yelling* Cody, give this'un here some of your little oxy-rocks, so they can go and save Cooter's hide. An be sure to tell 'em how to find Cooter's place, too!

mdjane.png
That should do you. Jest you go ask Bill and he'll give you what you need. Once you save Cooter, you can come back whenever you want an' we can talk trade for them rocks.

mdavatar.png
Tell me everything I need to know about Cooter McGee.

mdbill.png
Our main supplier's a fellow named Cooter. He prospects for Oxygen rocks and we sell them around the whole planet. They're mighty handy. Ever since those raiders from Argyre started giving Cooter a hard time, he hasn't been around.

mdavatar.png
Do you think the raiders have done something to him?

mdbill.png
Yep. My guess is they've carted him off someplace. Though why they'd want to keep that old coot is beyond me.

mdavatar.png
Tell me where Cooter lives.

mdbill.png
Mr. McGee lives over in the labryinths of Noctis. I've been over to his place once, and it'll be quite a spell afore I do that again. You havet to cross the bridge a little to the northeast of there. I think the numbers for that are about 4S, 121W. Of course, with Cooter gone, trade's going to be light. No oxygen rocks, no trade.

mdavatar.png
Gimme some oxy-rocks.

mdbill.png
Miss Jane said to give you a few of these to help you out on your way to check up on Cooter. *hands Elzair some oxium* Sorry I can't spare more than this, but we're in pretty short supply right now. I figure everyone will run out sooner or later until Cooter gets free. You just put it behind your lip, there, and it'll give you all the oxygen you need to keep goin'. Be sure to use the spittoons when you spit, though, or Miz Calamity'll have your hide and mine both.

mdbill.png
Better take some of these here berries, too. Cooter said somethin' about needin' these to get into his place. Wish I knew what he does with 'em. Cooter's place is over in Noctis, in the center of the northern canyon.

martian204.png

martian191.png

I head north to the bridge over the canal. Yes, that is a canal.

martian208.png

I finally arrive at Cooter's hideout.

martian209.png

mdavatar.png
This is definitely the place, all right.

Since the path is blocked, I decide to eat one of those purple martian berries that Buffalo Bill gave me.

martian213.png
martian214.png
martian215.png

Purple berries give me the power of telekinesis for a little while. I move the plank over the cliff and walk across it.

martian216.png

Here is Cooter's living quarters. I read the note on the crate.

martian219.png

martian220.png

I find another note to the east.

martian221.png
martian222.png

mdavatar.png
It looks like he was abducted after all.

martian229.png

I use my telekinesis power to get the oxium from that chest in the corner. Now I head out of the cave and southeast to Coprates Canyon.

martian230.png

martian234.png

I find a cave at 21S 64W.

martian235.png

I have to kill an ammonoid or two.

martian236.png

It looks like the path to the north is blocked.

martian237.png

I move the obstructions with the power of my mind.

martian239.png

I finally find Cooter.

martian240.png

mdcooter.png
How in the wide world of Mars did you get here, anyhow? Did you find my note?

mdavatar.png
Yes.

martian242.png

mdavatar.png
I like rewards.

martian243.png

mdavatar.png
Where is this motherlode of oxium?

martian244.png

mdavatar.png
Where is your map?

martian245.png

Cool! It looks like we are finally moving up in the world! I will cover my exploits to get the motherlode next time.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hurray, Mars ho!

Also, you saying ISU actually took me aback for a sec, until I realised you meant the SI. Recognized worldwide except in Burma, Liberia and the United States, baby! Fight the good fight for ignorance!

martian181.png

lulz the mad monk? That makes so little sense, but then again, neither does the presence of the wild west figures. It's all in good fun tho.

Elzair

Cipher
Also, you saying ISU actually took me aback for a sec, until I realised you meant the SI. Recognized worldwide except in Burma, Liberia and the United States, baby! Fight the good fight for ignorance!

I have to take issue with that. SI is the official system of weights and measurements for federal government. It is only in customary use that it is mostly ignored.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Elzair said:
I have to take issue with that. SI is the official system of weights and measurements for federal government. It is only in customary use that it is mostly ignored.

Your federal government uses metric? Isn't that confusing.

Besides, take issue? You make it sound like it's an insult. Stand proud, USA! Fight the good fight!
metric-map.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
Wow, this looks like a delightful mindfuck of a game. Too bad the Arthurian Legends game based on the Ultima VII engine never made it out.

mdjane.png

That's a woman?! She can keep her sexual favors and I'll keep my money, thanks.

Purple berries give me the power of telekinesis
Logically.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Silellak said:
mdjane.png

That's a woman?! She can keep her sexual favors and I'll keep my money, thanks.

I would imagine that after being stuck in the Mojavo desert with nothing but cacti and jackals to keep you company for two months, that'd look like a fine piece of tail.

Crowley9

Novice
Regarding the name of phlogistonite, phlogiston was a theoretical substance that was held within combustible materials and released during combustion. This was all part of a 17th-century theory to explain the process.

Black

Arcane
Crowley9 said:
Regarding the name of phlogistonite, phlogiston was a theoretical substance that was held within combustible materials and released during combustion. This was all part of a 17th-century theory to explain the process.
Are you that dude from YT who does LPs with a wacky accent?
I liked SoTB LPs!

Elzair

Cipher
Martian Dreams Part 2: Edison's Conquest of Mars

Part 2: Edison's Conquest of Mars

It is now time to turn on the power!

martian246.png

This green monster is a sandtrap. It will appear suddenly as I am wandering the martian desert. I now try to find the explorer's flag that marks the entrance to Coprates Chasma.

martian250.png

mdavatar.png
Here it is! It is now time to dig for buried treasure!

martian251.png

A shovel is hidden under a nearby rock.

martian252.png

I dig just west of the flag to reveal the map.

martian2048.png

martian261.png

I head northeast to the power station and down the stairs.

martian262.png

mdavatar.png
It sure is dark down here.

I am not alone. I meet two robots down here.

martian2036.png

The first one resembles a mining cart.

martian274.png

mdavatar.png
Do you have a name?

mdcoker.png
I am called Coker.

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

mdcoker.png
I extract coal from the wall and place it on the conveyor belt.

mdavatar.png
Where does the conveyor belt lead?

mdcoker.png
When the belt is empty, I move coal to it from the wall. The belt moves the coal to Stoker.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Stoker.

mdcoker.png
Stoker takes the coal off the other end of the belt.

mdavatar.png
Let's find Stoker.

martian2037.png

As you might have guessed, he is at the end of the belt.

martian264.png

mdavatar.png
Do you have a name?

mdstoker.png
I am called Stoker.

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian265.png

mdavatar.png
Does this power the planet?

mdcoker.png
The generators create electrical energy.

martian266.png

mdavatar.png
Where do you get the coal?

martian267.png

mdavatar.png
What does the furnace require to function?

mdstoker.png
The furnace is powered by coal and aided by oxium and fires the boilers. A small pile of coal will start the furnace, but I must keep it running with coal from the belt.

mdavatar.png
Why isn't the conveyor belt working?

martian268.png

martian269.png

mddibbs.png
I am certain he knows how to fix a canvas conveyor belt.

mdavatar.png
What crucial elements require power?

martian270.png

mdavatar.png
What kind of transport?

mdstoker.png
Transport tubes and canal bridges do not function without power.

mdavatar.png
How does lack of power prevent access?

mdstoker.png
Many doors do not function without power.

How convenient for the plot!

mdavatar.png
Why do you need oxium?

mdstoker.png
It is used to provide the furnace with oxygen to aid burning. There is a large vault east of this chamber with great quantities of oxium.

mdavatar.png
You mentioned the towers. Where are they?

mdstoker.png
The towers are located at the end of the mine tunnels to the east of my chamber. The final tunnel to he surface is wide and well-lit. The aboveground cables are fragile and must be protected from any kind of power surge. Any sudden change in power could damage them, and they are essential to surface power distribution.

martian463.png
martian464.png

I grab the damaged conveyor belt and head to Olympus to see if I can get it repaired.

martian275.png

Along the way I pick a few purple berries.

martian276.png

This is Olympus, but the gate is locked and a guard is posted.

mdavatar.png
Hello, my good man!

martian277.png

mdavatar.png
Who am I addressing?

mdnathaniel.png
My name is Nathaniel Peters.

mdavatar.png
I assume you are the gatekeeper?

mdnathaniel.png
Mr. Segal ordered me to prevent any of the loonies from Elysium getting into our settlement.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Mr. Segal.

mdnathaniel.png
Until your integrity is known to us, I can't release that information

mdavatar.png
Then how do I make my integrity known?

mdnathaniel.png
Before you may enter our settlement, we must have proof of your integrity and soundness of your mind. We have had too many incidents with daft people from Elysium.

mdavatar.png
What proof do you require?

mdnathaniel.png
We must be certain you are not one of those raving madmen from Elysium. To insure this, you must be certified by three men whose character is known to us and whose soundnesss of mind is certain.

mddibbs.png
I say, sir, would my voucher for Elzair qualify? If so, I will gladly give it.

mdnathaniel.png
What? You? You haven't been by our settlement in weeks! I am certain that your signature would not be worth the paper it was written on.

mdnathaniel.png
No, we must have the signatures of at least three men known to us.

mddibbs.png
Very well, if my signature will not pass muster, what of those of the three explorers, Sherman, Yellin, and Duprey?

mdavatar.png
:shock:

mdnathaniel.png
*after pausing to think* Yes, if they will vouch for you, then I can let your pass.The last time I saw them, they were headed to the west. Said something about checking out the area around Syrtis Major. You might try around the coordinates 10N, 71E. They could be in that area. Take this note and get their signatures.

martian281.png

I head just a little ways to the north across the bridge. I then head west hugging the canal.

martian282.png

I head across the western bridge to the area around Syrtis Major.

martian283.png

I approach it from the south and see a mine.

martian286.png

I find Yellin standing outside.

mdyellin.png
Hey, there! I need help! My companions are caught in a cave-in!

mdavatar.png
A Cave-in!

mdyellin.png
Sherman, Duprey and I were surveying in this old mine.

mdavatar.png
What happened during this survey?

mdyellin.png
There was a sudden rumble and the ceiling fell in. Sherman and Duprey are still trapped inside the mine! We have to drill them out.

mdavatar.png
How do we do that?

mdyellin.png
I've found all these parts of what I'm sure is a Martian drill in the shack outside the mine entrance, but I lack the tool to assemble it.

mdavatar.png
What tool do you need?

mdyellin.png
A wrench would do it.

mdavatar.png
I happen to have a wrench!

mdyellin.png
Yes! That wrench will work just fine. I do hope we're not too late!

I head into his shack.

martian2038.png

I find the drill head in the lower-left crate.

martian2039.png

I move it onto the drill cart.

martian287.png

I then use the wrench to fasten the drill head onto the drill cart.

martian2040.png

I now push the drill into the mines.

martian2041.png

I head west at the juncture and take the first northern branch.

martian2042.png

mdavatar.png
That looks like a big cave-in.

martian2043.png
martian2044.png

The drill can still handle it.

martian2045.png

Here are the two grateful miners: Sherman and Duprey.

mdduprey.png
*sigh of relief* Thank you, Sir. Things were looking mighty grim until you arrived.

mdavatar.png
How grim?

mdduprey.png
That cave-in was more frightening than a band of Comanche. Seen that first-hand, too!

mdavatar.png
Who are you, again?

mdduprey.png
I'm Major Greg Duprey.

mdavatar.png
Right, and what is your profession Major 'Duprey'?

mdduprey.png
Used to be with the United States Cavalry. Now I usually ride shotgun wherever Yellin goes.

mdsherman.png
I say, I am certainly glad that Yellin was able to find someone to free us from that damned cave-in.

mdsherman.png
Pardon my staring, but your face is quite familiar. Wouldn't you say so, Duprey?

mdduprey.png
Yes, indeed. Quite a match for the bartender of the Lucky Lady Saloon in Kansas City.

mdsherman.png
That's not what I meant!

mdsherman.png
Nevertheless, I owe you my life. Please allow me to accompany you on your explorations. I've been many places on the planet, and my knowledge might prove beneficial.

We have our last party member (for quite some time any way).

I now explore the rest of the mine for some stuff.

martian288.png
martian290.png
martian291.png

I now head outside the cave.

martian292.png

mdavatar.png
Could you sign this paper for me please?

martian293.png

Sherman and Dupre also sign the paper. Now I can enter Olympus.

martian296.png

I can use a pick on an oxium geode to break it down into 20-60 pieces of oxium.

I head back to the Olympus city gates.

mdnathaniel.png
Well, have you brought the signed note I told you to bring?

mdavatar.png
Yes.

mdnathaniel.png
You've got a note? Let me see it to make sure the signatures are in order

mdnathaniel.png
*after thoroughly scrutinizing it* I see that you've got Sherman's signature. That counts for one.

mdnathaniel.png
Ah, yes. Yellin's signature is perfectly acceptable.

mdnathaniel.png
Major Duprey's signature will do nicely.

mdnathaniel.png
It seems that your paperwork is in order. It's good to see that there are more normal people like us instead of those loonies like at the Elysium settlement.

martian2046.png

I now decide to snoop around.

martian300.png

This piece of ass is Sarah Benhardt, a famous French actress.

mdbernhardt.png
Bonjour! Please excuse my accent, I have not spoken much English before I come here.

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

mdbernhardt.png
My name is Sarah Bernhardt

mdavatar.png
What is your job?

mdbernhardt.png
Job? I believe you mean what I do? My 'job', indeed my life has always been the stage. I am an actress, but not on Mars. I have tried to perform to entertain mes amis here in our settlement, but of late I have found more relaxation in pursuing my interests in sculpture and painting.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your sculpting.

mdbernhardt.png
Oui, there is much beauty in the works left by the Martians. It is very sad to think that they passed on.

mdavatar.png
What do you know about the Martians?

mdbernhardt.png
It is a very great tragedy of their loss. I wish that there was some means of saving their race.

mdavatar.png
WTF?! Translation fail?!

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your painting.

martian301.png

mdavatar.png
What do you use for colors?

mdbernhardt.png
Like the old masters, I have gathered berries to crush and make the pigments for my paintings. I have found the berries in Argyre to be the most brilliant. Of course, I cannot get to them now. That evil man, Rasputin, has closed the city to all traffic.

mdavatar.png
All right. Later!

mdbernhardt.png
Au revoir, Elzair. Please do come again.

martian2047.png

I wanted to see the Dream Machine, but the door to it is locked and guarded by this pussy right here.

mdavatar.png
Who the fuck are you, miss?

martian302.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do besides bawl?

martian303.png

mdavatar.png
What was the special handshake for?

martian304.png

mdavatar.png
Uh . . . yes.

martian305.png

mdavatar.png
What do you know about the Dream Machine?

martian307.png

mdlegrande.png
But I am very worried about my brother. If you can find him for me, I will let you in to see the machine despite Segal's orders.

mdavatar.png
You want me to help you find your brother?

martian308.png

mdavatar.png
Where was he last seen?

mdlegrande.png
I was ordered to guard the machine, but Jean was sent to find iron ore in the Olympus mines.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the Olympus mines.

martian309.png
martian310.png

mdavatar.png
*sigh* Sure.

mdlegrande.png
Oh, thank you, thank you. I knew there would be someone who would help me.

mdavatar.png
By the way, why is everyone afraid of the mines?

mdlegrande.png
They say there are monsters down there: huge worms that scour the tunnels for prey!

mdavatar.png
Whoopie . . . </sarcasm>

martian312.png

I find this weird sailor guy here.

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian313.png

mdavatar.png
Can you repair this conveyor belt for me?

martian466.png
martian467.png
martian468.png

mdavatar.png
Cool!

mdavatar.png
What is your job?

martian314.png
martian315.png

mdtrippet.png
Without any water in the canals, my job consists of sitting on my duff and sleeping.

mdavatar.png
What do you know about the martian canals?

martian316.png
martian317.png

mdavatar.png
Did the Martians have barges as well?

martian320.png
martian321.png
martian322.png

mdtrippet.png
Those last two had cannon.

mdavatar.png
Interesting. Where do you think the Martians got water from?

martian326.png
martian327.png

mdavatar.png
What system do you think they used?

mdtrippet.png
If there was a system to melt the icecaps, it would probably be located near one of the poles. Maybe it'll start working again soon. I suppose part of the problem might be the lack of power, but we haven't found a way to get it working again.

martian330.png

I decide to pay a visit to Admiral Peary in his house.

martian331.png

Inside, I find Theodore "Teddie" Roosevelt, the future 26th President of the United States of America. He was known for his various progressive policies like breaking-up large corporations, slightly improving workers rights, and simplifying the American language.

martian332.png
martian333.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian334.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian336.png
martian337.png

mdavatar.png
Who did it?

mdroosevelt.png
I am positive that the Russian holy-man, Rasputin, was the fiend that did this act. I have been able to collect samples of fingerprints in the original expeditions's ship. I have endeavoured to reveal the identity of the person who left this incriminating evidence.

martian338.png

mdavatar.png
So you think the Mad Monk is responsible, eh?

martian339.png
martian340.png

mdavatar.png
You have the technology to examine fingerprints?

martian341.png

mdavatar.png
*sigh* Fine.

martian342.png
martian343.png
martian344.png

mdavatar.png
What do you know about the reflectors?

martian346.png

I now speak with Robert Peary, an American explorer who may have been the first person to reach the North Pole.

martian347.png

mdavatar.png
What is your name?

mdpeary.png
Robert E. Peary. My friends call me 'Bert', and I wish you would, too.

mdavatar.png
Okay, 'Bert', what do you do here?

mdpeary.png
Since our arrival on Mars, I have been utilizing my talents in civil engineering to make our stay more comfortable.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your explorations, 'Bert'.

mdpeary.png
Ah, what a thrill, eh? You know, I can think of nothing more fulfilling than discovering the secrets held by those places previously unknown.

martian348.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the polar icecaps.

martian349.png
martian350.png

mdavatar.png
How did they make the icecaps a source of water?

martian351.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your engineering projects Bert.

martian352.png
martian353.png
martian354.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the bridges?

martian355.png

mdavatar.png
What is the best way to restore power?

martian356.png

mdpeary.png
I saw some towers over by the McLaughlin crater that looked like they were built to harness energy. Let's see ... that would be at about the coordinates 8N 14W.

martian357.png
martian358.png
martian359.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the tube buildings.

martian360.png
martian361.png

martian364.png

I find some rifle rounds in their chest.

mdavatar.png
Let's find the chemist they put here.

martian365.png

mdavatar.png
Wow! It's a chick!

This chick is Marie Curie, a famous female chemist. She is most famous for developing a theory of radioactivity.

martian366.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian367.png

mdavatar.png
What are you researching?

martian368.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about this reactive rock.

martian369.png

mdavatar.png
You mean it is radioactive?!

mdcurie.png
The martians must have utilized the energies released by the element to power their machines.

martian370.png
martian371.png
martian372.png
martian373.png
martian374.png

martian376.png

mdavatar.png
Okay, how do I protect myself from radiation poisoning while around the radium?

martian385.png

mdspector.png

martian386.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about these worms?

martian377.png
martian379.png
martian380.png
martian381.png
martian383.png
martian384.png

I now head down the stairs in the northwest part of town.

martian388.png

martian389.png

I now head west into the tunnel that leads under the canals.

martian390.png

I arrive near Mt. Olympus.

martian391.png

mdavatar.png
I have hit the jackpot!

mdavatar.png
Now, let's see who is in the hut.

martian393.png

This is William Randolph Hearst, a famous American newspaper mogul. He pioneered "yellow journalism", strongly endorsed the Spanish-American War, and was a major force in the outlawing of marijuana and hemp. His life was critiqued in Orson Welle's film Citizen Kane.

mdhearst.png
What is that . . . that . . . woman doing here? She is a spy for Pullitzer! Remove her from my sight at once!

martian395.png

martian397.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian398.png

mdavatar.png
What are you doing here?

mdhearst.png
I bankrolled Lowell's original expedition in 1893.

martian399.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about these artifacts.

martian400.png

mdavatar.png
Show me your collection.

martian401.png
martian402.png
martian403.png

mdavatar.png
Oooo! What kind of gems?

martian404.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about this azurite.

martian405.png

mdavatar.png
No. Nevermind. Bye now.

martian406.png

Since it is getting dark, I pitch a tent and 'relax' until sunrise.

martian407.png

martian408.png
martian409.png

martian410.png
martian411.png

martian412.png
martian413.png

martian414.png
martian415.png

These are all the level-up screens. Since my main concern is carry-weight I keep picking the sword. I now head back to the main Olympus settlement.

martian416.png

I head north of the stairs to meet with the head of the Olympus settlement, Jack Segal.

martian417.png
martian419.png
martian420.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian438.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian439.png
martian440.png

mdavatar.png
What do you mean by 'right-thinking' individuals?

martian421.png
martian422.png

mdavatar.png
Who is Marcus?

martian423.png
martian424.png

mdavatar.png
Where and what is Hellas?

martian425.png
martian426.png
martian427.png

mdavatar.png
Tel me about the Dream Machine.

martian428.png
martian429.png

mdavatar.png
You had one here?

martian431.png
martian432.png

mdavatar.png
How is it dangerous?

martian433.png
martian434.png
martian436.png
martian437.png

Let's now speak to Thomas Alva Edison, a famous American inventor and industrialist who created the phonograph, the motion picture camera, and a practical electric light bulb.

martian441.png

mdavatar.png
He is getting on in years!

martian442.png

mdavatar.png
You have hearing problems?

martian444.png

mdavatar.png
WHO ARE YOU?

martian445.png

mdavatar.png
WHAT DO YOU DO?

martian446.png

mdavatar.png
HOW WILL WE RESTORE POWER?

martian447.png
martian449.png

mdavatar.png
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE TOWERS?

martian450.png
martian451.png
martian452.png

mdavatar.png
WHAT DEVICES DO THEY POWER?

martian453.png
martian454.png

mdavatar.png
WHAT IS THE DREAM MACHINE?

martian455.png
martian456.png
martian457.png

mdavatar.png
WHAT DID YOUR BRIEF STUDY OF THE DREAM MACHINE REVEAL?

martian458.png

mdavatar.png
HOW DOES THE CONTROL PANEL WORK?

martian460.png
martian461.png
martian462.png

I will have to remember to speak with him if I ever need a control panel for a Dream Machine.

martian295.png

I head back to the traders to pick up a pair of rubber gloves that will be useful in a while.

I now head back to the power plant.

martian469.png
martian470.png

These pliers will come in handy in a minute.

martian471.png
martian472.png

I install the repaired conveyor belt. Now I need to pour some coal into the furnaces to restart the power plant. First I find a wheelbarrow nearby.

martian473.png
martian475.png

Next I shovel several piles of coal into the wheelbarrow.

martian476.png

Then I pour the coal into the furnaces. I do this several more times. Eventually, the robot Stoker will move to the furnaces, but he can be blocked by my other party members, so I make sure he has a clear path.

martian479.png

martian485.png

martian488.png

martian489.png

martian494.png

martian490.png

The lights are on, but the power is still not being distributed to the rest of the planet. It looks like the wires at the broadcast towers are on the fritz, so I must repair them.

martian498.png

However, the door to the motherlode of oxium is now open.

mdavatar.png
:)

martian499.png

mdavatar.png
Hello, mama!

martian501.png

mdavatar.png
Since we need to repair some cables, this cable spool should come in handy.

martian503.png

mdavatar.png
I wonder what this machine does?

martian504.png

It basically gives me an unlimited supply of oxium.

mdavatar.png
I better not tell any other humans about this place. :)

I head south through the mines.

martian513.png

I have to kill a few bushrats and ammonoids, though.

martian515.png

I finally arrive at the stairs leading up to the broadcast towers.

martian517.png

mdavatar.png
Here we are! It looks like there are a bunch of dangling wires.

martian518.png

mdavatar.png
Let's mess with it!

martian519.png

mdavatar.png
.... Okay.

It looks like I have to repair the towers.

martian521.png

I make sure I am wearing rubber gloves.

martian524.png

I now use the pliers on the cable spools to loop them around the dangling wires.

martian525.png

martian527.png

martian529.png

Power has now been restored to Mars!

martian530.png

mdavatar.png
Let's get outta here before I catch a cold!

What changes have occurred now that the power is back on?

Find out next time!

Elzair

Cipher
Martian Dreams Part 3: Invasion of the Pod People

Part 3: Invasion of the Pod People

With the power working, it is now possible to raise and retract bridges across canals (basically wherever you see a switch along a canal) and the transport tubes are now working. Since we have done everything in the power plant we came to do, we leave.

martian540.png

I head back through the mines, but it looks like the only way out of the power station is through these steam jets.

mdavatar.png
I am going to hate this!

martian541.png

I enter solo mode and move through the steam jets.

martian542.png

I then use a oxygenated air canister to heal myself.

martian544.png
martian545.png

I then head up the stairs, and my party automatically joins me. Sometimes I love video games! :lol:

martian547.png

I then head for the building just southeast of Olympus. Since the power is back on, the transport tubes are working as well.

martian548.png

I enter the southeast tube.

martian549.png

The southeast tube actually led to Argyre, which is blocked-off. So we use the northwest tube.

martian550.png

This one leads to Elysium. It is where all the people supposedly think they are Martians.

martian552.png

It is just a miniscule distance south.

martian553.png

mdavatar.png
I wonder who this ape-man is?

martian554.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian555.png

mdavatar.png
Ha-ha! So what do you do Mr. 'Bickhiz'?

martian557.png
martian560.png

mdavatar.png
You are a historian?

martian575.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Argyre.

martian561.png

mdavatar.png
What did Raxachk do?

martian562.png

mdavatar.png
How did he blackmail the entire planet?

martian563.png
martian565.png

mdavatar.png
I take it this was not an idle threat.

martian566.png

mdavatar.png
I assume you mean martians come from seedlings?

martian567.png

mdavatar.png
Explain the ecological effects in greater detail.

martian568.png
martian569.png

mdavatar.png
I assume this destroyed the Martian population?

martian570.png
martian571.png
martian572.png

mdavatar.png
You believe your fertility can now be restored?

martian573.png
martian574.png

mdavatar.png
Hmmm. Let's gather more information.

martian576.png

mdavatar.png
I wonder if these chemicals will come in handy?

I find a martian book in one of the buildings.

martian578.png
martian579.png
martian580.png
martian581.png
martian582.png
martian584.png

martian585.png

I find another spray gun in a hut in Elysium.

martian586.png

mdsherman.png
It might come in handy.

martian587.png

mdavatar.png
Here is a weird fellow.

martian588.png

mdavatar.png
What is your name, kook?

martian589.png

mdavatar.png
What do you think you do?

martian590.png

mdavatar.png
What is your 'survival' plan?

cheshefcarver We are hoping to perpetuate our race by transferring our consciousness into prepared bodies. Our Arborist, Chaktsaf, can explain the transference. You must speak with him if you wish more information. We still hope to be able to attempt the transfer to our own beautiful green bodies.

mdavatar.png
What does a Cultivator do?

martian591.png
martian592.png

mdavatar.png
How qualified are you for such an 'important' task?

martian593.png
martian594.png

mdavatar.png
How does one nurture the plant?

martian595.png
martian596.png
martian597.png

mdavatar.png
What kind of fertilizer do you use?

martian598.png
martian599.png
martian600.png

mdavatar.png
Are you seriously telling me you do not know the ingredients necessary for your reproduction? That is just fucking stupid! It is like a couple not knowing how to produce semen nor where to put it!

mdavatar.png
Do you at least know where you get the seeds from?

martian601.png
martian602.png

mdavatar.png
Where would you find water on this rock?

martian603.png

mdavatar.png
You said you had to wait for nine days?

martian604.png

mdavatar.png
Let's talk to this gentleman.

martian618.png
martian619.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian620.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian621.png

mdavatar.png
What does an Arborist do?

martian622.png
martian623.png

mdavatar.png
What do you mean by transference?

martian627.png
martian629.png

mdavatar.png
What do you use for compost?

martian624.png
martian625.png
martian626.png

mdavatar.png
How do you raise a young Martian?

martian630.png

mdavatar.png
How long does it take to mature?

martian631.png

mdavatar.png
What happens if it is raised in barren soil?

mdchaktsaftiffany.png
Planting a seed in barren soil will prevent a consciousness from developing in the growing Martian, leaving it open to possession by one of our number residing in the Dream World. Of course, all of our soil is sterile right now.

mdavatar.png
How does that work?

martian633.png

mdavatar.png
Let's talk to the leader of this expedition and find out who he thinks he is.

martian634.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian635.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian636.png

mdavatar.png
What is an Agrarian?

martian637.png

mdavatar.png
What defines your grove?

martian638.png
martian639.png

mdavatar.png
What is your last hope?

martian640.png

martian642.png

mdavatar.png
Why did you possess the bodies of humans?

mdtekapeshlowell.png
We did not like the prospect of leaving behind our elegant plantal forms.

martian644.png

mdavatar.png
How will you rebuild your civilization?

martian645.png
martian646.png

mdavatar.png
You must want to assume your original form very badly?

martian647.png
martian648.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about the Dream Machine.

martian650.png
martian651.png

mdavatar.png
Can I help speed up the process by testing a transfer?

martian652.png

mdavatar.png
Yes.

mdtekapeshlowell.png
While it is certainly a worthwhile cause, I do not trust a worm to have the intellect to do it properly.

martian653.png
martian654.png

mdavatar.png
Alright, I will do that.

First, I want to get some more information from the other inhabitants of this grove.

martian655.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian656.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian657.png

mdavatar.png
Who is Fazek?

martian658.png

mdavatar.png
What does the Gatherer do?

martian664.png
martian665.png

mdavatar.png
What does his assistant do?

martian659.png

mdavatar.png
What makes this soil special?

martian660.png

mdavatar.png
How does the soil contain knowledge?

martian661.png

mdavatar.png
How do you make more descendants?

martian663.png

martian667.png

Here is a heat-ray gun.

mdavatar.png
Let's talk to two more 'people'.

martian666.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian675.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian676.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about your explorations.

martian677.png

mdavatar.png
Where can water be found?

martian678.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about the icecaps.

martian679.png

mdavatar.png
Where would I put a chunk of ice?

martian680.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about the creatures of Mars.

martian668.png

mdavatar.png
What do you mean by 'worm'?

martian669.png

mdavatar.png
The worms only live underground?

martian670.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about rockworms.

martian671.png
martian672.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me about canal worms.

martian673.png

mdavatar.png
How do you deal with them?

martian674.png

martian681.png

I may need this later.

martian682.png

Here is another martian wannabe.

martian683.png

mdavatar.png
What is your name?

martian684.png

mdavatar.png
What is your job?

martian685.png

mdavatar.png
What is a Gatherer?

martian686.png
martian687.png

mdavatar.png
What materials do you gather?

martian688.png
martian689.png

mdavatar.png
What chemicals did you need to import?

mdfazekmelies.png
In the past, our chemicals mostly came for a grove to the south of us, Hellas. Their Gatherer, Pukchep, and I did the actual trading. Their Cultivator, Plashef, had quite an impressive chemical laboratory. He also was in charge of their seeds.

mdavatar.png
Where is that laboratory?

mdfazekmelies.png
Yes. If you have a sun-angle device you can find it at coordinates 25 S, 75 E.

I decide to take Plashef's advice and see if I can get some help from the Martians in Hellas.

martian770.png

I take the southwest tube to Hellas.

martian771.png

Hellas is just north of the tube building.

martian775.png

This guy is the only person in the settlement.

martian776.png
martian777.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian778.png

mdavatar.png
What is your job?

mdmarcus.png
On Earth, I worked as an actuary for the firm of Dicker and Higgins. It has proved to be a wonderful career choice.

mdavatar.png
Why do they call you Mad Marcus?

mdmarcus.png
*shrugs* That's all Segal's fault. Years ago, after we first arrived on Mars and set up at Olympus, I used the Dream Machine that was there. Segal got angry and threw me out of the settlement, claiming that anyone who used the machine went crazy and started thinking they were Martians. As you can see, that's simply not true in my case.

mdavatar.png
I thought that is exactly what happens?

mdmarcus.png
Well, it's true that Mr. Lowell and his group at Elysium DID act really strange after they used the Machine. Seems that they all started trying to live like the dead Martians, and forgot all about Earth or trying to get back home. That's when Segal smashed up the Machine at Olympus.

mdavatar.png
Have you seen Mr. Lowell's group at Elysium lately?

mdmarcus.png
I went there after I got expelled from Olympus, but I just didn't like it there, what with everyone trying to act like a plant. After all, I'M not crazy. So, I wandered off and finally ended up here in this abandoned city called Hellas a few months ago.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about Hellas.

mdmarcus.png
*sighs* It sure got lonely here. At first, it wasn't too bad, because I found some Martian berries that let me talk to the old Martian machines that were here. But now I can talk to you! You're a much better conversationalist than those machines!

mdavatar.png
You are talking to machines now?!

mdmarcus.png
Once you eat the berries, you will see this strange kind of . . . aura around any objects that you can talk to. *grins* It's a little unsettling at first, but I got so lonely I'd have talked to anything.

mdavatar.png
What happened when you used the Dream Machine?

mdmarcus.png
It's really one of the most fascinating devices that I have ever seen in my life! When I used it, I was able to go into a dream and walk about this dream-like world, even though I was wide awake! At first, it was loads of fun! But as I explored a bit, I realized that the machine could be quite dangerous.

mdavatar.png
Tell me more about the Dream World.

mdmarcus.png
There are so many things you can do there. It just depends on you own imagination. And on how willing you are to pick up everything you can along the way. You never know when something might be useful, you know!

mdavatar.png
How does your imagination help?

martian781.png
martian782.png
martian783.png

mdavatar.png
What dangers reside in the Dream World?

martian784.png
martian785.png
martian786.png

mdavatar.png
They are trapped?!

martian787.png
martian788.png

mdavatar.png
What important thing did you find out?

mdmarcus.png
So long as your body is waiting and ready, you can return to it by waking yourself. All you need to do is TALK to yourself. Of course, if someone or something has beaten you to your body, then you'll remain trapped in dreams while your body is possessed by the other creature!

mdavatar.png
Dream creatures can possess your body?

martian789.png
martian790.png

mdavatar.png
Do you have any ideas about rescuing them?

mdmarcus.png
*Shakes head* I thought about it myself, but I realized that there's no way to do it without going into the dream-world and helping them out of their nightmares. To do that, you would have to find a working Dream Machine. The one in Olympus was smashed, and the one here on the island isn't working anymore. I don't know if there's one in Elysium or not.

mdavatar.png
Is this island nearby?

martian793.png
martian794.png

mdavatar.png
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix it?

martian795.png
martian796.png

mdavatar.png
Do you actually think eating berries will help?!

mdmarcus.png
Yes, Sir, they really work! Once you eat the berries, you gain the power to talk to certain objects. I remember reading about this ability once in the 'World'. It was called 'Psychometry'. Problem is, though, I can't get to my supply anymore because of the damned Jumping Beans that have taken over the garden where I used to pick the berries.

mdavatar.png
*sigh* Where is the garden?

martian799.png

I head east to the garden killing all the jumping beans in my way.

martian811.png
martian810.png

I grab the brown berries and head west.

martian772.png

mdavatar.png
Oh no! I need to get across the canal!

mdavatar.png
Maybe this switch will help!

martian773.png

mdavatar.png
Yes!

martian812.png

This heavily armed barge will come in handy much later.

martian814.png

This is the Hellas dream machine. Unfortunately, it is broke.

martian819.png

I eat a brown berry.

mdpsychicmaleavatar.png
The Dream Machine has a soft, blue glow now. I wonder what it wants?

martian840.png

mdpsychicmaleavatar.png
How you are blocked?

martian822.png

mdpsychicmaleavatar.png
Why are you dead?

martian823.png

mdpsychicmaleavatar.png
Show me more of this rock.

martian824.png

I take Spector's advice and head back to the shuttle.

martian826.png

mdavatar.png
Professor, do you have any idea how I might repair a Dream Machine?

mdtesla.png
I have heard much of the Dream Machines from Dr. Freud. He is fascinated by them.

mdavatar.png
That is a wonder because none of you ever seem to leave the shuttle! How were you planning to manage without me again?

mdtesla.png
I really hate to suggest it, but if you're wondering about the workings of any of the Martian machines, you would probably be better off asking that old curmudgeon, Edison. He has been here for quite a while. Surely he has learned something by now.

I do that.

mdavatar.png
Edison my good man, do you know anything about the Dream Machine?

mdedison.png
It was quite beautiful, and was full of mystery! I spent as much time trying to determine exactly how it functioned as I could. Alas, I was unable to complete any serious study before Mr. Segal had it destroyed. It is utterly unusable now. It's just sitting over there in the building with the fountains out front, just moldering away. A shame, it is. A real shame.

mdavatar.png
You could not have learned much in such a short amount of time.

mdedison.png
Yes, I learned very little. I was able to fathom the wiring of the control panels that sit next to the machine, but how the machine is able to interact with the thoughts of a living being is beyond me.

mdavatar.png
Tell me about the control panel.

mdedison.png
It functions on a simple arrangement of relays and switches. In fact, the design is elegant and simple enough that almost any of the panels like those found in the underground machine areas could be wired to function as an original. I'm fairly sure that I saw one once down in the underground access tunnel right here in Olympus. You might check down there to find one. If you bring one of those back to me, I'll try to rewire it for you so it'll work on a Dream Machine.

I head down to the middle of the access tunnel.

martian759.png

mdavatar.png
This will do.

martian760.png

I grab it and head back to Edison.

mdavatar.png
Can you repair this panel?

martian761.png

martian762.png

martian764.png

martian766.png

martian768.png

mdavatar.png
Alright! Now it is time to find some radium!

martian2054.png

I remember that Marie Curie had some lying around.

martian2055.png
martian2056.png

Spector picks-up the tongs for safety.

martian2057.png
martian2058.png

He also picks-up the lead box for storage.

martian2059.png

mdspector.png
This piece of radium is too small. Still, it could come in handy.

martian2060.png

He drops the box beside the chip of radium.

martian2061.png

He then takes the tons in hand.

martian2062.png
martian2063.png

Finally, he uses the tongs to place the chip of radium in the lead box and picks it up. This way he will not suffer radiation posioning.

martian2064.png

Here it is! Now, since we need more radium than this, we head for a radium mine.

martian693.png

I enter the mines of Olympus.

martian694.png

Nellie lights a lamp with some lamp oil and a tinderbox.

martian699.png

This is Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish-American steel mogul and one of the three "robber barons" of the 19th century United States of America.

martian700.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you again?

martian701.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian702.png
martian703.png

mdavatar.png
What resources do you need?

martian706.png

mdavatar.png
Where can I find iron ore?

martian708.png
martian709.png
martian710.png
martian711.png

mdavatar.png
Hmm.

martian713.png

Here is the space cannon.

martian714.png

I have to kill some worm-like things on the way.

martian723.png
martian724.png
martian725.png

mdavatar.png
:twisted:

I continue south.

martian726.png

mdavatar.png
:shock: THAT is a rockworm?!

martian727.png

I snipe it from a distance.

martian730.png

I head west down this side-corridor.

martian739.png

I find a body here.

martian731.png

martian734.png

martian735.png

martian736.png
martian737.png
martian738.png

martian740.png

I also find a chip of radium in here.

martian741.png
martian742.png

Dr. Spector equips the tongs and transfers the radium to the lead box that he placed on the floor. It is now safe to carry.

martian743.png

He does the same thing with a block of radium.

martian744.png

I leave the mine and return Jean's masonic symbol to his despondent brother.

martian745.png

mdavatar.png
Not really. Here is his masonic symbol.

martian746.png

mdavatar.png
I am afraid so.

martian747.png
martian748.png

I give him a moment to grieve.

martian749.png

mdavatar.png
You bet!

martian751.png

martian753.png

This is it.

martian754.png

I grab the headgear.

mdavatar.png
Alright, I have everything I need. It is time to head back to Hellas.

martian828.png

This is the bare power unit.

martian829.png

I drop the repaired control panel onto the power unit.

martian846.png
martian847.png

Next, Spector installs the block of radium in the battery holder.

martian837.png
martian838.png

Then, I install the headgear.

martian841.png

I notice the control panel is loose.

martian842.png
martian843.png

Spector tightens it into place with the wrench.

martian848.png

I now sit in the Dream Machine.

martian849.png

Finally, Spector activates the machine which sends me into dreamland.

martian850.png

martian852.png

martian854.png

martian855.png

What adventures await the Avatar?

Find out next time!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great stuff. Love the setting. Looking forward to the dream world

martian340.png

He's not a suspect if he outright admitted it, is he?

Why is Marie Curie talking with a French accent when she's Polish? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

martian620.png

...He doesn't look like a Tiffany.

lightbane

Arcane
I admire your will to lp so many games, will you be strong enough to treat with the first signs of EA's Decline, aka Ultima 9 (I read a lp on the lparchive, and by God that looks godfucking-awful)...

Crowley9

Novice
lightbane said:
I admire your will to lp so many games, will you be strong enough to treat with the first signs of EA's Decline, aka Ultima 9 (I read a lp on the lparchive, and by God that looks godfucking-awful)...

Some would say the decline began with Serpent Isle. Personally I would judge Ultima 9 to be one of those games (along with the likes of Deus Ex: Invisible War and Fallout 3) that are not all that bad in themselves, but when you compare them to brilliant previous entries in the same series it goes straight to ohmygodwhathavetheydone.

lightbane

Arcane
Crowley9 said:
lightbane said:

Some would say the decline began with Serpent Isle. Personally I would judge Ultima 9 to be one of those games (along with the likes of Deus Ex: Invisible War and Fallout 3) that are not all that bad in themselves, but when you compare them to brilliant previous entries in the same series it goes straight to ohmygodwhathavetheydone.

Lol, sorry but no, Ultima 9 is SO buggy (complete with instant-game-breaking bugs that may even harm your computer besides corrupting save files), that it makes Oblivion look like a "solid" game.
Also, the game was so rushed it can be perceived everywhere: for example, there are many quests that are unsolvable unless you try everything/had a guide 'cause it was never finished the quest on question (for example, in one occasion you need a password that no-one tells you about adn it could be found only on a random piece of paper somewhere on an island, easily missed), and the original story was better (the new one is a shit, retconning the ENTIRE saga with the Guardian's "secret" bullshit).

Elzair

Cipher
Martian Dreams Part 4: Red Planet

Part 4: Red Planet

Here we are in the Dream World!

martian860.png
martian861.png

I am in a weird place with five different pillars.

martian862.png

mdavatar.png
I assume this is the pillar for Carver.

I approach the top-left pillar, and it glows red for an instant and transports me somewhere else.

martian867.png

Since I am unarmed, I run. Here I navigate through various weird shit.

martian868.png

martian870.png

martian871.png

martian872.png

martian873.png

martian874.png

martian875.png

martian876.png

martian877.png

I finally find George Washington Carver, an African-American botanist famous for promoting peanuts and sweet potatoes as alternatives to growing cotton.

martian879.png

martian2066.png

martian2067.png

martian883.png

martian884.png

martian2068.png

martian885.png

mdavatar.png
So I need to guard the seed in the center as it sprouts. That does not sound too hard.

martian895.png
martian896.png

I plant one of my seeds in the ground.

martian897.png
martian898.png

I water it once, and its petals fan out.

martian899.png
martian900.png

I water it a second time, and its flowers sprout.

martian904.png

I have a nice little perimeter as the first worm arrives. I just keep watering the plants when they start losing their flowers (which means they are dying); harvesting the seeds from their flowers, and planting new plants to repel the worms. The worms will only be stopped by a plant with flowers on top, and they come from a random direction and in a random order. It is basically a simple resource-management game.

martian2069.png

It eventually sprouts some vines.

martian905.png

I keep doing this until I realize the worms are no longer attacking.

martian906.png

mdavatar.png
It looks done!

martian908.png

I cut the pod open with the pod knife, and out pops ol' Carver.

martian2070.png

martian2071.png

mdavatar.png
Who else is in here?

martian910.png

martian912.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you and what do you do?

martian913.png

mdavatar.png
You grow plants?

martian914.png

mdavatar.png
How do you grow plants?

martian916.png

mdavatar.png
What fertilizer do you use?

martian2072.png

mdavatar.png
Where are your notes?

martian918.png

mdavatar.png
Later!

martian921.png

martian922.png

I wake up and then proceed to go right back to sleep.

martian924.png

I head for the bottom-left obelisk.

martian866.png

mdavatar.png
Gee, I wonder whose dream this is? :roll:

martian925.png

martian926.png

martian927.png

I see a man in a room with a lot of money.

martian928.png

This is of course, Vladimir Ilyich Lenin, the leader of the Bolsheviks during the Russian Revolution.

rtemagicc_lenin_ve_bayrak.jpg

mdavatar.png
Uh . . . Greetings, comrade!

martian929.png

martian930.png

martian931.png

martian932.png

martian934.png

martian936.png

martian937.png

I proceed to round-up all the rubles.

martian938.png
martian939.png

I also find a shiny, azurite stone.

martian940.png

I now have one azurite stone and 253 rubles. I now need to divide this wealth into 25 equal piles.

martian943.png

First I make a 5x5 square of rubles with each pile containing 10 rubles.

martian944.png

Then I burn the three remaining rubles!

mdavatar.png
:twisted: I hope this pleases Comrade Lenin.

martian946.png

mdavatar.png
Yes.

martian947.png

martian948.png

martian950.png

mdavatar.png
Yes.

martian953.png

mdavatar.png
*sighs* Yes.

martian954.png

martian956.png

martian957.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

mdlenin.png
Lenin. Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

mdlenin.png
My job is to free Mother Russia from an imperialist dictatorship.

mdavatar.png
Later!

martian960.png

martian961.png

I go back to sleep again.

martian962.png

I now head for the upper-right obelisk.

martian863.png

This must be the nightmare of H. G. Wells!

mdwellsdream.png

This place really IS a nightmare!

martian964.png

It starts innocently enough.

martian966.png

I see some dreamstuff.

martian967.png

I form it into a weed sprayer.

martian968.png

Here is where things start getting nasty. The game starts messing with the controls. Pressing 'Up' might make me move right; pressing right might make me move down; etc. The controls change several times during the maze, so it is really confusing. Even the target cursor behavior changes! Needless to say, navigating this maze is a real pain in the ass! I eventually make it around to collect the purple berries nearby.

martian969.png
martian970.png

These are the two main enemies in this part of the maze.

martian971.png

I use some of the dreamstuff lying about and create a cannon. I reload and just pick up the dreamstuff that produces the cannon since I want to take the cannon with me.

martian996.png
martian997.png

Now it is in my inventory.

martian972.png
martian973.png

This is useless.

martian974.png
martian975.png

These weapons are pretty useless too.

martian976.png

This green paint may come in handy.

martian979.png

I eat a purple berry and use my telekinesis powers

martian980.png
martian981.png
martian982.png

mdavatar.png
Nice!

martian998.png
martian999.png
martian1000.png

I now reload and collect all the dreamstuff.

martian1006.png
martian1007.png

Not everything I form from dreamstuff is useful. Some of it is just weird!

martian1011.png

I grab the purse/bag with my telekinesis powers.

martian1012.png

I find an elephant gun inside.

mdavatar.png
Cha-Ching! Now I just need to find some ammo for it.

martian1024.png

I find some elephant ammo in the barrel.

martian1018.png

When I get to this part, my controls return to normal.

martian978.png

mdavatar.png
It is too bad the way forward is blocked.

mdavatar.png
I wonder . . .

martian983.png

mdavatar.png
WHEEE!!

martian985.png

mdavatar.png
Lookie, Ma, No Hands!

martian986.png

In the center of this platform I find Herbert George 'H.G.' Wells, a British science-fiction novelist who wrote the Time Machine, the Island of Dr. Moreau, the Invisible Man, and War of the Worlds.

martian987.png

mdavatar.png
Who is them?

martian988.png

mdavatar.png
You think invisible creatures are around?

martian989.png

mdavatar.png
So why don't we get out of here?

martian990.png

mdavatar.png
Fine. I will deal with this.

martian991.png

martian992.png

mdavatar.png
I don't remember leaving that many footprints.

martian993.png

mdavatar.png
Damn! He was right!

I am now facing a pack of invisible proto-Martians.

martian2073.png
martian2074.png
martian2075.png

I can spray them with green paint to make them visible.

martian1021.png

However, the best decision is to run.

martian1026.png

I set-up the cannon and blast them as they approach from the east.

martian1027.png

I then pick off the remaining ones with my elephant gun.

martian1028.png

I wake up and go back to sleep again.

martian1030.png

I head for the lower-right obelisk.

martian865.png

mdavatar.png
Dunno who this is.

martian1031.png

I am now in a long corridor with some kind of fairy.

martian1032.png

mdavatar.png
WTF?!

martian2076.png

mdavatar.png
WTF?!

I run south as my 'mother' attacks me.

martian2077.png

mdavatar.png
GERONIMO!!

martian1033.png

martian1035.png

I press the 'UP' arrow-key a few times, and the bed of spikes keeps getting closer and closer. Finally, I reach it and . . . .

martian1036.png

I arrive here.

mdavatar.png
Maybe the book on that table will shed some light on the situation.

martian1037.png

mdavatar.png
Nope.

I make sure to grab the red rug since you never know when something like that might be useful.

martian1038.png

mdavatar.png

Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in

Get about as oiled as a diesel train
Gonna set this dance alight
'Cause Saturday night's the night I like
Saturday night's alright, alright, alright

martian1040.png

mdavatar.png
That minotaur is like a bull in a china shop . . . wait.

martian2078.png

mdavatar.png
Alright.

martian2079.png

I head to the north part of the room.

martian1045.png

I flip the switch to open the doorway, stand in the center and hold the red rug in my hand.

matador.bullfight.10.jpg

mdavatar.png
Toro! Toro!

martian1046.png

When the minotaur gets close, I throw the rug out the door and run to the side.

martian1047.png

As the minotaur charges out to the cape, I flip the switch locking him out.

martian2081.png

martian1048.png

I have now saved all the people I can right now. To save the other four, I will need to access the Elysium Dream Machine. It is now time to have a talk with the inhabitants of Hellas. I fall asleep again.

martian864.png

Here they are at the rightmost obelisk.

martian1056.png

This area is a pretty faithful copy of the western part of Hellas in the real world.

martian1057.png

I talk to the Martian here.

martian1058.png

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

martian1059.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian1060.png

mdavatar.png
Cool, do you know what chemicals you traded to Elysium?

martian1061.png

martian1062.png

I now find another Martian here.

martian1063.png

mdprektesh.png
I am Prektesh, Agrarian and Leader of the Grove of the city of Hellas, once the finest of our planet.

martian1064.png

mdavatar.png
Tell me of Hellas.

martian1065.png
martian1066.png

mdavatar.png
What do you know of the Dream World?

martian1067.png

mdavatar.png
This is your refuge from the plague, right?

martian1069.png

mdavatar.png
I assume you want to be rescued from this predicament.

mdprektesh.png
We existed on the faith that someone would come, even someone like yourself, a visitor from another world. Now that you have heard our plight, you must aid us to discover some means for us to return to our native soil and inhabit the Grove in the Real-World.

mdavatar.png
What do you need?

mdprektesh.png
You must act as our agents in the Real-World, using your bodies where we cannot exist.

mdavatar.png
How will I return you to your original bodies?

mdprektesh.png
To return to our Grove, we must find bodies that we may inhabit and leave the Dream-World. The Martians of Elysium have been striving to grow new bodies such as these from preserved seeds, now that the plague has passed. There was another plan being examined as well. Speak to my Arborist and she can give you more information.

mdavatar.png
Aren't the Elysians the ones who stole the bodies of humans?

tekapesh Their efforts are led by tekapesh, the Agrarian of Elysium. I cannot condone their crimes, but I understand their motives.

mdavatar.png
They stole bodies!

martian1072.png

mdavatar.png
Alright, where can I find your Arborist?

martian1073.png

mdavatar.png
Where can I find Plashef?

martian1074.png

I go to find Xaktsesh.

martian1076.png

mdxaktsesh.png
Welcome, outsider. I am excited that you have come. Now, at last, will I know the fate of Kaxishek.

mdavatar.png
Who are you?

mdxaktsesh.png
I am Xaktsesh.

mdavatar.png
Who is Kaxishek?

mdxaktsesh.png
My podmaate, Kaxishek, was researching the creation of a new type of body that would be immune to the effects of the plague.

mdavatar.png
I assume this is the plan Praktesh was talking about?

mdxaktsesh.png
Kaxishek had established a laboratory in the north polar regions to perform his studies. He hoped that the cold would slow the spread of the plague until he had constructed a prototype.

mdavatar.png
Where exactly is this lab?

martian1077.png

I now go to find Plashef.

martian1081.png

mdplashef.png
Greetings. You are not formed of sun and soil, are your? Be joyful that you are not affected by the plague that causes our bodies to wither.

mdavatar.png
Who are you and what do you do?

martian1082.png

mdavatar.png
Cool! Can you tell me the ingredients for the fertilizer required to grow a Martian?

mdplashef.png
The seedlings require fertilization during their growth period. It is a mixture of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium that is applied directly to the soil. There are samples of these in my laboratory in Hellas. If you need these, you should look in an antechamber of the greenhouse.

mdavatar.png
Do you have any available seedlings?

martian1084.png
martian1085.png

mdavatar.png
Where is this secure place?

martian1088.png

martian1122.png

Here is the final member of the village.

martian1123.png
martian1124.png

mdavatar.png
What do you do?

martian1126.png

mdavatar.png
What exactly does an Ambassador do?

mdmartianchskeket.png
I communicate to the other Groves as my Agrarian directs. My travels have been limited to meetings in the Dream-World, speaking to the other Ambassadors. Recently, the Groves of Elysium and Argyre closed communications with us. I know little more than that each have plans that will release our race from the Dream-World.

mdavatar.png
Do you know anything more about these plans?

mdmartianchskeket.png
If I had confidence in any of the plans to construct alternate bodies, I would happily volunteer. We cannot stay here forever.

martian1089.png

mdavatar.png
I guess the only thing to do is to try to grow a Martian.

First, I head back to Elysium and find George Washinton Carver's notes (which are located in his dwelling).

Here is another book about the Martians.

martian606.png
martian608.png
martian609.png
martian610.png
martian611.png
martian612.png
martian615.png
martian616.png

The last word is 'days', but I forgot to include it.

mdavatar.png
Kick ass! I now know the formula!

First, we need water.

martian1093.png

I head to the North Pole and pick-away a chunk of ice.

martian1095.png

mdavatar.png
Uh oh! It's starting to melt!

martian1096.png

mdavatar.png
Good thing I thought to bring a bucket!

martian1097.png

mdavatar.png
I am glad we don't run into these things more often!

I return to Hellas and travel to what I assume is the 'secure' place where Plashef stored the seeds.

martian803.png

mdavatar.png
Rats! The door rusted!

martian804.png

mdnelliebly.png
Here goes nothing!

martian805.png

mdavatar.png
YES!

martian806.png

I grab all of the living seeds.

martian808.png
martian809.png

I then head to the greenhouse and nab some potash, nitrogen and phosphorous.

martian1099.png

I use my shovel to dig a hole in the ground, and I drop the seed into it.

martian1102.png
martian1103.png

After a bunch of hilariously unsuccessful attempts, I finally cover the seed in dirt.

martian1104.png
martian1105.png

martian1106.png

martian1107.png
martian1108.png

I pour the proper fertilizers on the seed.

martian1109.png
martian1110.png

I then water it.

martian1112.png
martian1113.png

I rest for several days. All the instructions say it takes nine days, but I had to rest for close to fifteen!

martian1114.png

I visit the plant and rest for a few more days.

martian1115.png

Ditto.

martian1117.png

Finally, it is ready.

martian1120.png
martian2082.png

I cut the martian body out with a knife.

martian1121.png

I now head back to Dream-Hellas to tell Prektesh to get ready.

martian1127.png
martian1128.png

mdprektesh.png
I will prepare myself immediately, and will be ready when you place the newly grown sapling into the Dream Machine.

He is ready.

mdavatar.png
Let's do this Freaky Friday thang!

martian1130.png

martian1131.png

Back in the real world, I drop the Martian body in the chair and flip the switch!

martian1132.png

martian1134.png

martian1136.png

martian1138.png

martian2083.png

martian1140.png

martian1143.png

martian1144.png

martian1145.png

mdavatar.png
Are you still Prektesh, and if so, what will you do now?

martian1146.png

mdavatar.png
How may I help you in your task?

martian1147.png

mdavatar.png
Well, it looks like everything is going to turn out just fine!

martian1148.png

mdavatar.png
Dying?! How the hell can you be dying?! You were find a second ago!

martian2084.png

mdavatar.png
If not the air, then how?

martian2085.png

martian1149.png

martian1151.png

mdavatar.png
The plague must have settled in the soil.

martian1152.png

martian2086.png

mdavatar.png
What is this alternate plan?

martian2087.png

martian2088.png

martian2091.png

mdavatar.png
Uh . . . okay . . . I will. Farewell, two-week old broccoli guy.

martian1153.png

martian1154.png

Is this the end of the Martians? Will this last plan work? Find out next time (or the next)!

Silellak

Cipher
The "communism" game made me giggle.

And the "plants vs. worms" game made me think of Plants vs. Zombies.

You are a machine, Elzair. Keep up the great work!

Or else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom