Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Hieromancer

Educated
Has nobody demanded more yet? Really?

*sigh...*

MOAR

I love you Elzair, please keep going.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Aye, very much enjoying this LP. Especially since I've played both Savage Empires and Martian Dreams, but never through to the endings..

Please, keep it up good sir! This is great stuff, great stuff!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
mockup.png

Luzur

Good Sir
Azira said:
Aye, very much enjoying this LP. Especially since I've played both Savage Empires and Martian Dreams, but never through to the endings..

You are not the real me.

Elzair

Cipher
Luzur said:
Azira said:

You are not the real me.
Of course! He is from fucking Denmark!

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima Underworld Part 1: Abductions and False Imprisonments

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

box.jpg

Part 1: Abductions and False Imprisonments

Welcome back to another game in my massive LP of the Ultima series!

This installment, Ultima Underworld, marks a major departure from the past Ultima games (and past games in general) in several ways. The most striking difference is that the entire game is in a first-person three-dimensional viewpoint. The engine supports texture-mapped walls, walls at 45 degree angles, transparencies, muliple tile heights, inclined surfaces, the ability to look up and down, the ability to jump, and even a few 3D objects. The technology behind its engine was groundbreaking when it was released in 1992. In fact, a brief glimpse of the game inspired John Carmack to create a lower-quality engine that became the Wolfenstein engine, so Ultima Underworld indirectly created the First Person Shooter.

While it may have inspired the FPS, Ultima Underworld is a straight-up fantasy hack-n-slash. It is also the first Ultima game with real-time combat, which is a standard feature of all Ultimas from here on. It takes place in Britannia, specifically the Stygian Abyss, which serves as the final dungeon in Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar.Unlike the previous games, this one is a straight-up dungeon crawl.

Ultima Underworld seems to only be loosely related to the rest of the series; furthermore, there are several monsters and NPC races (like Lizard Men and dwarf-like Mountain Men) that have never existed in Britannia. This is probably because it was not developed Origins, and it originally had nothing to do with Ultima. The game was developed by Blue Sky Productions (whom you are more likely to know as Looking Glass Studios). It was only when Origin agreed to publish the game that Richard Garriott suggested it be made into an Ultima game.

It supposedly takes place some time in the 200 year period between Ultima VI: The False Prophet and Ultima VII: The Black Gate. When the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom was returned to the Ethereal Void, it must have recreated the Stygian Abyss. Some utopian fool, Sir Cabirus, decided to attempt to establish a colony of virtue in the Abyss, and, in addition to humans, he invited several other races to join him in his multikult commune: Lizard Men, two tribes of Goblins, Mountain Men (who are clearly dwarves) and Trolls. Everything seemed to go fine until Sir Cabirus died; then diversity took its course. Now the Abyss is used as a prison by some lord who has built a fortress on the Isle of the Avatar.

Now that introductions are out of the way, let's fire up the game!

NOTE: Since I thought the screen captures were to small to show everything that is happening on the screen, I have enlarged all the images to 800x600. Enjoy.

uwi0000.png

uwi0001.png

uwi0049.png

This opening cutscene actually features voice acting! However, I have to choose between having voice acting and having subtitles, so for you guys I chose subtitles.

uwi0003.png

uwi0043.png

uwi0004.png

uwi0051.png

uwi0005.png

uwi0006.png

uwi0007.png

uwi0008.png

uwmale3.png
WTF?! This is even stupider than the way I got to Britannia in Ultima IV!

uwi0009.png

This is a feminine scream.

uwi0010.png

uwi0011.png

uwi0217.png

uwi0218.png

uwi0013.png

uwi0014.png

uwi0047.png

uwi0015.png

uwi0016.png

uwi0044.png

uwmale3.png
Oh shit!

uwi0017.png

uwi0018.png

uwi0019.png

uwi0020.png

uwi0021.png

uwi0022.png

uwi0045.png

uwi0023.png

uwi0024.png

uwi0025.png

uwi0026.png

uwi0027.png

uwi0028.png

uwi0053.png

uwi0029.png

uwi0054.png

uwi0030.png

uwi0032.png

uwi0033.png

uwi0034.png

uwi0035.png

uwi0036.png

uwi0037.png

uwi0038.png

uwi0039.png

uwi0040.png

uwi0046.png

uwi0048.png

uwi0041.png

uwi0042.png

Well, that was an exciting opening!

uwi0002.png

It is now time to create my character.

uwi0055.png

I of course choose a guy.

uwi0056.png

Since I am a lefty, I choose to use my left hand.

uwi0058.png

Since I have always played a mage, I stick with it.

uwi0059.png

I then pick the Mana skill.

uwi0061.png

I take the blond dude's portrait, since it is the one that most closely resemble my actual appearance.

uwi0062.png

Since I have several games to go and am not looking to score Kodex Kool Points, I pick Easy because it will still be plenty hard.

uwi0063.png

I am Elzair, and don't you forget it.

uwi0064.png

My starting stats at the left are randomly determined. I keep re-rolling until I get the stats I want.

uwi0148.png

This will do.

It is now time to "Journey Onward" into the Stygian Abyss!

uwi0066.png

This is the main screen. Do you notice that row of icons along the left of the screen? Those icons represent which action(options, talking, getting, looking, attacking, and using) is currently selected. I can move forward and turn with the mouse, or I can use WAXD to move and turn at 45 degree angles. Honestly, the control scheme is the worst part of this game; to a modern gamer, it is simply god awful! If any of the Underworld remakes ever get off the ground, this is the most important problem they should address.

level01top.gif

Here is a map of the first level.

uwi0067.png

To the left of the entrance is an inscription.

uwi0070.png

uwi0071.png

To the right is a bag with some goodies. One of the goodies is a map that will automatically fill in a level as I walk across it. I now decide to save the game before journeying onward.

uwi0072.png

This is the first Ultima game to have more than one save slot.

uwi0073.png

I can even name my saves. I continue forward and then head west.

uwi0075.png

I grab this plant.

uwi0076.png

uwi0077.png

I find these two rune stones, Ort and Jux, in a corner.

uwi0079.png

I also take along several pieces of wood. I assume they will come in handy later.

uwi0106.png

In a rat's nest I pick up some leather leggings.

uwi0086.png

I now find a backpack.

uwi0089.png

I note its location on my map. Did I mention that I can add notes to my level maps? Cool, huh?

uwi0090.png

The pack contains a key that opens many locked doors on this level and a rune bag along with the Bet, In, Lor and Sanct rune stones. I put all my runes in my rune bag.

uwi0092.png

uwmale3.png
Nice!

uwi0093.png
uwi0095.png

The pack also contains a note to someone from his sweetheart.

uwi0096.png
uwi0097.png

I use the red key to unlock the nearby door and open the door.

uwi0098.png

In a corner is a bedroll. I can use it when I want to rest to recover my Vitality and Mana.

uwi0099.png

Apparently, I am not alone in this chamber. I hope this guy is friendly, so I try to talk to him.

uwi0100.png

uwmale3.png
Whew!

uwoutcast.png
Hail stranger! What be thy business? I have not seen thee in this place before.

uwmale3.png
I am attempting to rescue an innocent girl.

uwoutcast.png
Ah, a rescue mission, is it? Should the Baron's guards not be with thee, to aid thee in thy search? More likely one of them threw thee in here, eh?

uwoutcast.png
Thou needst not be ashamed of thy misfortune, lad; thou art in the same pot with all of us now. If thou art to have a chance of surviving in the Abyss for long, thou must learn the lay of the land.

uwmale3.png
Indeed, I am eager to learn.

uwoutcast.png
First off, I would suggest picking up anything thou dost find that seems of use. Items here are scarce enough - thou wouldst be well advised to take what thou can. Scavenge all you want, but stealing is ill-advised. Most of the Abyss' inhabitants guard jealously the few possessions that they have. Battlesites are the best for scavenging. That's why I'm here - A battle took place here not long ago - a battle between the Goblins and the above-worlders.

uwmale3.png
What was the cause of this battle?

uwoutcast.png
I do not know. It is rare that the Baron sends his men into the Abyss. It must have been important. Though, by the looks of it, the Goblins defeated them handily.

uwoutcast.png
The Goblins control most of these upper caves. Two races there are, the Green and the Gray. If they do not destroy each other, it is not for lack of trying. Be thou especially careful of the Gray Goblins. I was recently imprisoned by them for trespassing.

uwmale3.png
How didst thou escape?

uwoutcast.png
My prison cell was evidently a converted storeroom, for it had a stock of useful items, including a long pole. Using the pole, I was able to reach a button which opened the door to my cell. I sneaked away and returned to my people. I do not think I will venture there again.

uwmale3.png
And what of the other inhabitants of the Abyss?

uwoutcast.png
The humans like thee and myself, have staked out a small area in which we live in relative peace. Below us are the Mountainment, and after that I do not know.

uwmale3.png
Where is the enclave of humans?

uwoutcast.png
Thou canst find my people by going west from the entrance to the Abyss, and then north. There is a small chasm to jump over, but thou dost seem to be a dextrous lad. Past the chasm is the sign of civilization everywhere throughout the Abyss: the Banner of Cabirus, marked with an ankh, the sign of the Avatar. Outside of areas marked with the Banner, thou shouldst watch thyself most carefully. Most creatures who do not respect Cabirus' legacy are not particularly friendly.

uwmale3.png
Perhaps I will seek this area out.

uwoutcast.png
Good luck in thy travels.

I decide to find these outcasts friends of Bragit.

uwi0105.png

I find a walkway over a chasm.

uwi0149.png

I take a leap of faith (i.e. I move forward and press 'J').

uwi0150.png

uwmale3.png
Made it!

uwi0151.png

uwmale3.png
Anyone who flies the ankh cannot be all bad!

uwi0152.png

I use the red key to unlock the door and head into the Outcast's hideout.

uwi0153.png

This fellow is Gulik.

uwgulik.png
What is thy name, stranger?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair.

uwgulik.png
I am Gulik, called the Blessed.

uwmale3.png
Why art thou called that?

uwgulik.png
I have been called 'the Blessed' since my prison days, when I was considered lucky because I have a taste for cockroaches. I never went hungry, thou seest.

uwmale3.png
And is this place better than a prison?

uwgulik.png
Thou art in the Great Stygian Abyss, where neither thou nor any other may ever hope to leave again. 'Tis worse than any prison, for there is no hope of parole or pardon, and no death so clean as an honest hanging.

uwmale3.png
Tell me more of the Abyss.

uwgulik.png
It was not always such. Once, a leader named Sir Cabirus (curst be his name!) had the foolish notion that this place could be colonized. When his folly caught up with him, the "civilization" of the under-earth fell, and we now scrabble to survive in its ruins. He died, and so escaped the punishment for his crime. Dreamers! They will be the deat of us all!

uwmale3.png
And thyself? How camest thou here?

uwgulik.png
I killed a man who needed killing. My crime was being caught.

uwmale3.png
Good day.

uwgulik.png
Good day.

I speak to him again.

uwgulik.png
Greetings, Elzair. Hast thou spoken with Hagbard?

uwmale3.png
Who is he?

uwgulik.png
Our leader is Hagbard. Hast thou spoken with him?

uwmale3.png
No. Should I?

uwgulik.png
Thou must speak with Hagbard. He alone, of all of us, retains his sanity amidst the madness of this place.

uwmale3.png
Very well. I will seek him out.

uwi0154.png

I find Hagbard walking around a pool.

uwhagbard.png
Hah! Another fish enters the barrel! What be THY crime, son of misfortune?

uwmale3.png
I am guilty of naught but misfortune.

uwhagbard.png
Innocent, eh? Why, so are we all, falsely accused every one of us!

uwmale3.png
Speaking of innocence, hast thou seen a maiden in distress?

uwhagbard.png
A young girl was this? Beauteous, but innocent?

uwmale3.png
Aye, that was she.

uwhagbard.png
We did see her but horus agone, carried by a troll and pursued by a pack of fools! They fell afoul of the Gobs, to be sure.

uwmale3.png
Where be the girl now?

uwhagbard.png
Ah... None who have ventured past the realm of the Gobs have returned. But rumor hath it there are worse perils below.

uwmale3.png
What are 'the Gobs'?

uwhagbard.png
Aye, the Goblins. There be the Greens and the Grays, and they are deadly foes. They make our lives more difficult still with their vendettas.

uwmale3.png
What is the nature of the feud?

uwhagbard.png
None can say. Their conflict seems to have begun at the time of the Great Collapse, when the civilization of the under-earth fell. We know only that their leaders have sworn never to agree on anything.

uwmale3.png
Is there anything else thou canst tell me?

uwhagbard.png
Some goblins no longer abide the commands of their leaders, but wander the corridors in search of prey. They take from our supplies of food and are a danger as well. Would that we were rid of them.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

I now go back to speak with Gulik again.

uwgulik.png
Greetings, Elzair! Hast thou spoken with Hagbard?

uwmale3.png
Yes.

uwgulik.png
Ah, I remember. He was talking to thee earlier! Well, may I help thee?

uwmale3.png
How can one find useful items?

uwgulik.png
Ah, thou shouldst know that it is often easier to find useful items by bartering than simply by scavenging. Find thyself someone who is willing to trade, and give him the items thou dost not need in exchange for more useful ones. Keep in mind whom thou art dealing with. I hear that the Mountainfolk are fond of gold, for example, while Goblins may not be as attached to it.

uwmale3.png
Thank thee for thy help, and farewell.

I also find a few Generic Outcast NPCs walking about.

uwoutcast.png
So, another comrade is caught by the Abyss! What was thy crime, pray-tell?

uwmale3.png
I am accused of kidnapping a girl.

uwoutcast.png
Hm, perhaps the same girl that I hear was carried through these upper caves by a Troll.

uwmale3.png
Yes, that must be the one!

uwoutcast.png
Well, whoever she was, she's here no longer. I don't know how far the Troll was planning on taking her, but given the strenght of a Troll, he'll not likely run out of energy any time soon.

uwmale3.png
Then there is no hope of rescuing her.

uwoutcast.png
Hold on, just a minute. Surely that girl is in trouble, but if thou dost learn the ways of the Abyss first, thou wilt surely have a better chance of rescuing her.

uwmale3.png
And what should I know of the Abyss?

uwoutcast.png
Well, thou shouldst know that most of the inhabitants of the Abyss are unfriendly. It's not so much a question of what areas to avoid as of which areas are relatively safe. Look for the Banner of Cabirus -- a tapestry with an ankh, such as we have -- as a sign of civilization. Any people or creatures thou dost find past the Banner are more likely to talk with thee than eat thee. Speaking of ankhs, thou wouldst do well to search out the other thing they represent: the shrines.

uwmale3.png
What use do they serve?

uwoutcast.png
When thou dost see a large, plain ankh standing on the ground, thou hast found a shrine to Virtue. It is said that if thou hast been virtuous, and dedicated to increasing thy abilities, praying at a shrine with the correct mantra will allow thee to enhance thy abilities. It is said that there is one in the southeast area of these upper caves, but I have not seen it myself.

uwmale3.png
I thank thee for thy information.

uwoutcast.png
Well, good luck in thy travels. Thou art always welcome here.

uwi0155.png

A little ways west of the Outcast's hideout I find some oil flasks.

While trying to find a way back where I came from, I then find out that the 'bottomless' chasm is not so botomless after all.

uwi0157.png

I notice a rotworm trying to get at me across a pool of water.

uwi0158.png

I select the Ort and Jux runes.

uwi0159.png

I then fry its ass with a few Magic Missiles. Magic in this game is very different from the rest of the series. Instead of using reagents, the magic system in the Stygian Abyss now only works with various magic runes (that each correspond with one letter of Ultima's runic alphabet). To cast a spell, I select the runes necessary for the spell's incantation and make sure I have enough mana. For instance, a Magic Missile spell requires the Ort and Jux runes in that order. Magic is still circle-based, and I can currently only cast spells in the First Circle.

uwi0160.png

I find a wooden shield on the little island that housed the rotworm.

uwi0161.png

uwi0162.png

I also find a switch that opens a door to the canals to the north.

uwi0163.png

Unfortunately, I let in a vampire bat by mistake.

uwi0165.png

I zap it with more Magic Missiles until it falls into the water. I then head up the ramp along the southern part of the room, jump over a section of ramp that must have eroded, and head back to the entrance hallway.

uwi0080.png

uwmale3.png
Rats!

uwi0081.png

I wonder if this pull-chain will help matters?

uwi0082.png

uwmale3.png
Yep!

uwi0166.png

I use the red key to open the door to the south.

uwi0167.png

uwi0168.png

uwi0169.png

Cool! I think I can be revived from wherever I plant this seed. However, it must be planted in a place with dirt, of course.

uwi0170.png

Along the eastern wall of this room I find a secret door.

uwi0171.png

It opens right up.

uwi0172.png

I now come to these raised pillars.

uwi0173.png

I first jump onto the one nearby.

uwi0179.png

I can see this door is locked, so I need to find a way to unlock it.

uwi0180.png

I find a switch on a ledge along the southern wall. I have to stand right along the edge of one of the platforms and make a long jump (Shift+J) to the platform.

uwi0181.png

I press the button and jump back.

uwi0182.png

Now the door is open.

uwi0183.png

Here is one of the 3D objects I mentioned.

uwi0189.png

uwi0190.png

uwi0191.png

Along the three corners of the ankh-shaped room are the mantras that, when chanted at a shrine, will increase various skills by a slight amount. Every time I gain a level, I have the opportunity to recite one chant at a shrine. I can find chants to raise specific skills later. Since I am still level one, I can only do one chant.

uwi0186.png

I decide to recite the Mantra of Truth: Mu Ahm.

uwi0188.png

uwmale3.png
Sweet! I now have better casting power.

I then retrace my steps a bit and head north.

uwi0107.png

I encounter a goblin and try to take it down with my axe that I have no skill with.

uwi0108.png

uwmale3.png
Fuck! Let's try this again.

uwi0111.png

I use the red key to unlock the door separating me from the goblin.

uwi0112.png

I then select the Magic Missile spell and have it ready.

uwi0113.png

uwi0114.png

uwi0115.png

uwi0116.png

uwmale3.png
Booyah!

The monster's eyes at the top of the screen represents the health of enemy monsters. When it is blue, they are at full health, and when it is red, they are nearly dead.

uwi0118.png

I get the sling and the stones and proceed in a western direction.

uwi0124.png

I eventually find another outpost of "civilization." This one is inhabited by the mostly friendly Green Goblins. They don't seem to mind that I killed one of their minions a few minutes ago.

uwi0127.png

I now speak with the goblin gate guard.

uwdrog.png
Yes? What your business here?

uwmale3.png
I am exploring these caves.

uwdrog.png
This is the best place to see when you see Abyss. King Vernix, he the bravest in the whole underworld. You go see him, if he see you.

uwmale3.png
Please open the gate for me.

uwi0128.png

I can now explore their settlement. I head west up the ramp and arrive at some living quarters.

uwi0129.png

I speak with a generic green goblin.

uwgreengoblin.png
Hey, you not goblin! Why you here?

uwmale3.png
Canst thou tell me of the Goblins?

uwgreengoblin.png
Green Goblins, yes, good. We are strongest and bravest in Abyss. Gray Goblins, they nasty and weak. You no want talk to them. Also watch out for some mean Goblins, not like our settlement. They wear read. Good Goblins near banners with funny marks. Like me.

uwmale3.png
Where is thy leader?

uwgreengoblin.png
Yah, Vernix, he king. Maybe you want talk to bodyguard Lanugo first. They in northwest, at end of high overhang path.

uwi0130.png

I cannot enter this door because I do not have the key.

uwmale3.png
Rats!

uwi0133.png

I now speak with Vernix's bodyguard, Lanugo.

uwlanugo.png
Tha be not bodderin' da boss, aye?

uwmale3.png
Why dost thou not ask him thyself?

uwlanugo.png
Yeah, well, I could do dat. But da boss don't like to be boddered wid, like, practical stuff. His mind is on, uh higher tings.

uwmale3.png
Perhaps I could give thee a small gift to show my appreciation.

uwlanugo.png
I don't see no gift!

uwmale3.png
I'm afraid that thou didst misunderstood me.

uwlanugo.png
Y'got plenny t'lean in da ways of courtly manners, I'd say. Okay by me - I got my stew to tend to.

It looks like I must find out what stew Lanugo likes.

uwi0195.png

I now speak with King Vernix.

uwvernix.png
Yes?

uwmale3.png
All Hail the Most Mighty and Puissant Ruler of the Great and Noble Race of the Green Goblins.

uwvernix.png
Fair greetings to thee. For what reason hast hou intruded on our court?

uwmale3.png
I have quested long to drink from the fountain of thy wisdom, O pearl among kings.

uwvernix.png
True! I AM rather wise, come to think of it. What dost thou wish to know?

uwmale3.png
Who was Sir Cabirus?

uwvernix.png
Thou art entirely too generous with thy time!

uwmale3.png
I do must humbly crave thy pardon.

uwvernix.png
Well ... Perhaps thou canst be forgiven. This place IS full of the most frightfully rude people. Thou mayst remain. What is thy need?

uwmale3.png
Merely to partake in some small manner of thy vast knowlege. How came you by that fascinating cloak?

uwvernix.png
It does suit me, doesn't it? I had it made especially for me. One simply doesn't find work like this underground. Well, perhaps the Mountain-folk do make a few nice things, but they tend toward metals rather than clothes. And of course the Seers -- the Ancient Illuminated Seers of the Moonstone, they call themselves -- they do nice work, too. But they generally tned toward the literary than the sartorial arts.

uwmale3.png
And this hall? It is most beautiful?

uwvernix.png
Well, one does what one can. Of course those awful Gray Goblins took all the really nice things with them when they stole away in the night -- this was just after Sir Cabirus died, you know, when things were falling apart -- and we've had to make do since then. One of these days I'm going to get some poison into Ketchaval or his ugly wife (which amounts to the same thing -- he's terribly henpecked, you know), and then we'll see what's what. King of the Gray Goblins, indeed.

uwvernix.png
Why he's an upstart! His father was a horse-thief! But enough of this ... you wanted to know something? How can I help you?

uwmale3.png
'Tis very kind of you to take the time to help me, Your Majesty.

uwvernix.png
Oh, mention it not! It is so seldom that I get a chance to speak to a really intelligent person! I mean, our allies the Lizardmen are nice enough, but the poor felows can't speak a word of the common tongue. They understand it well enough, but the poor things don't have the mouth to speak it. And their language is so difficult! I know "Sseth" and "click" mean "yes" and "no", but I don't know which is which! Then there are the Knights of the Crux Ansata -- they can talk well enough, but all they ever say is how many Trolls they've killed. Frightful bore, even if it does help keep the pest population down -- both kinds of pests, Knights AND Troll, you know.

uwmale3.png
It must be a trial for one as noble as yourself.

uwvernix.png
Oh, indeed it is! Sometimes I wonder how I even manage. It wasn't always like this, you know. When Sir Cabirus was alive, things were ever so much better. He had all of us working together so well. A born leader was that man. When he founded this colony you could have made a wager anywhere in Britannia that it wouldn't work, but he made it so. I stil think one of those bastard Grays must have done him in. There were certain items, too...

uwvernix.png
Well, I suppose it will do no harm to tell thee. Sir Cabirus collected eight great Talismans, each embodying a certain Virtue -- he was a great one for Virtue, was our Cabirus -- and it was well known that he intended them to come to the leaders of the various grouups here in the Abyss. Well, WE never saw them. If they still exist, they must be lost. But I must be boring thee.

uwmale3.png
No, not at all.

uwvernix.png
Oh, thou'rt just saying that. I'm sure there's much more for thee to do than listen to me natter on. And if you should happen to meet "King" Ketchaval or "Queen" Retichall of the Gray Goblins, be a dear and stick a knife in them, would you?

uwmale3.png
Farewell, Your Majesty.

uwi0134.png

I now exit the settlement and head east. I then head down the ramp to my north and kill the rotworm on the way.

uwi0136.png

I see a box sitting on a pier.

uwi0137.png

I see the box contains two runes.

uwi0139.png

Unfortunately, a lurker wants to take a bite out of me. I fight it off with Magic Missile.

uwi0141.png

uwmale3.png
Fuck yeah! I am level 2, baby!

uwi0142.png

I then head back to the Green Goblin camp and use the bedroll to catch some Z's (making sure to put out my torch beforehand). I have another weird dream involving that old guy.

uwi0143.png

uwi0145.png

uwi0147.png

After that, I head to the passage southwest of the encapment.

uwi0196.png

After killing three rats, I find a hallway with a spare torch and some wine.

uwi0197.png

Unfortunately, I also find a locked door. I then give up and head back north to a rogue goblin camp.

uwi0198.png

Amazingly, I only have to kill one goblin.

uwi0199.png

In the eastern wing, I push a lever to open the door shown.

uwi0200.png

I head down the stairs and find another key and a pretty big ruby.

uwi0201.png

I also find the stairs leading down to level 2! However, we will have to save that for next time!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Luzur said:
Elzair said:
Luzur said:
Azira said:

You are not the real me.
Of course! He is from fucking Denmark!

Azira said:

mm13.jpg

I'm sorry if I stole your likeness, t'was not to offend.

I have now chosen a different avatar, that you may resume your previous visage.

Crowley9

Novice
Another piece of Underworld trivia: the 3d engine was based on the 3d spaceflight engine used in Origin's Space Rogue.

Elzair

Cipher
Mighty Mouse said:
Aren't you suppose to kill the outcasts and gobs and plunder their stores. That's what I did.
Are you going to LP UW2 as well?

Well, since the main purpose of these LPs was to get me to play a game series that I said was my favorite even though I had played only a handful of them and beaten even fewer, then my answer is "yes."

Cenobyte

Prophet
Yeah, really impressive. I guess, I wouldn't have the stamina to play through all goddamn Ultima games out there. Massive respect.

:thumbsup:

Crowley9

Novice
Hieromancer said:
Don't you die on me.
Someone should make an animated gif of the continue screen from the Punisher arcade game to use in conjunction with that statement.

Hieromancer

Educated
Crowley9 said:
Someone should make an animated gif of the continue screen from the Punisher arcade game to use in conjunction with that statement.

Done and done.

punisher-game-over-o.gif

C'mon Elzair, you don't want to be that guy, do you? Look at him, he's only, like, 27th place. That'll be you if you give up now. Don't be another AAA, bro.

Elzair

Cipher
I apologize for the lack of updates. I have been super busy, and this game is quite long and hard (even though most of this stems from the absolutely godawful controls). I am partway through level 2, so when I have fully explored it and gone back to do the stuff in level one I haven't done, I will post another update.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima Underworld Part 2: Small Men and Large Mazes

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Part 2: Small Men and Large Mazes

Sorry it has taken me so long to update. Anyway, let's jump right in!

uwi0202.png

When we last left off, I had just descended the stairs to level two.

level02top.gif

Here is a map. As you can see, the level appears to be divided into four sections. Now, let's see what we find.

uwi0203.png

I find a shrine in the northwest corner of the level.

uwi0204.png

Precious rocks are just scattered about.

uwi0207.png

I make my way out of the labrynthine passages and find a nice room to rest in. I am awakened once again by the same old ghost man.

uwi0208.png

uwi0209.png

uwi0210.png

uwi0211.png

uwi0212.png

When he shuts up, I continue down the hall.

uwi0213.png

I have found more shelter! This is the home of the Dwarves Mountainmen.

uwi0214.png

uwi0215.png

I talk to the dwarven gate guard. His name is Brawnchan.

uwmountainman.png
It's been a long time since we of the Folk have seen one such as ye. Be ye an outcast from above, or an outsider?

uwmale3.png
I am attempting to rescue a kidnapped girl.

uwmountainman.png
Aye, I heard such a thing. The Abyss isn't a safe place these days, I tell ye. Perhaps some other of the Folk might know more about that. Is there anything else I can help ye with?

uwmale3.png
I would like to rade items with thee.

uwmountainman.png
Very well, let's see what ye've found in your adventures.

uwmale3.png
Canst thou let me through this portcullis?

uwmountainman.png
Very well, ye seem a reasonable sort. Just mind your manners and ye'll nae have trouble with the Folk. Now, before ye meet the rest of the clan, is there anything else ye'll be wanting?

uwmale3.png
That is all. Well met, and farewell.

uwi0219.png

I enter and talk to the nearest generic dwarf -- er mountain man -- I can find.

uwmountainman.png
Ah, ye must be Elzair of whom I've heard. What can I do for ye?

uwmale3.png
I seek information.

uwmountainman.png
Ah, Shak may be the one ye want.

uwmale3.png
SHAQ?!

shaqfu.jpg

uwmountainman.png
A smith he is, and knowledgeable in the ways and workings of his trade and the world. King Goldthirst ye should seek out too, if ye wish to gain his favor.

uwmale3.png
Perhaps one of them knows of a kidnapped girl.

uwmountainman.png
Terrible, ain't it? I hear a troll carried her below. I hope all turns out well for ye. Up here, we have enough problems of our own.

uwmale3.png
What problems?

uwmountainman.png
Maybe ye can help us. Our mines in the southeast have been invaded by a fearsome beast, floating in the air with many tentacles. If ye can defeat it, all Mountainfolk would be eternally grateful.

uwi0220.png

For some strange reason, this door does not open until later.

uwi0222.png

This one does, however.

uwi0224.png

uwmale3.png
Sweet!

uwi0225.png

uwmale3.png
:rage:

uwi0226.png

I now find Goldthirst, the king of the dwarves mountainmen.

uwgoldthirst.png
Greetings, Traveller. I am Goldthirst, leader of the Mountain-folk. Welcome to our hall.

uwmale3.png
Well met, Lord Goldthirst.

uwgoldthirst.png
Thou hast a find tongue, and a sense of courtesy. Hast thou other Virtues as well?

uwmale3.png
I am a paragon, embodying every Virtue, my Lord.

uwgoldthirst.png
That is well. I have need of a paragon, just now. Art thou aware that my people's mine has been invaded by a monster?

uwmale3.png
Indeed? Perhaps I can help!

uwgoldthirst.png
Excellent! A hero at last. My people, at least those not too valuable to lose, are all to afraid of the beast to dare face it! It is a fearsome beast, covered with tentacles and with many eyes. If thou art brave enough, and you slay the creature, I shall reward thee handsomely.

uwmale3.png
It shall be done!

I leave the safety of the dwarven mountainmen halls and find a loony "mountain man" named Ironwit.

uwi0227.png

uwironwit.png
Ach, me blueprints, come back to me after all these yeas! ... No, that's not me blueprints, it's a human! What's this? Have ye me blueprints? Ach, me blueprints, where can they have gone?

uwmale3.png
What art thou talking about?

For sure ye're not me blueprints, then! Never uttered a word, did they, and yet ye've a tongue for sure. Dumb they were, mute as the rock I hewed with their aid, but still I miss them sorely. Perhaps ye can find them for me?

uwmale3.png
Why should I find them for thee?

uwironwit.png
Find me blueprints? Ach, that would be good indeed! Somewhere about they are - in the storeroom most likely. The southeast of my complex, methinks - or is that where the storeroom is? Here, I'll give ye a set of blueprints of the area so that ye can find your way about ... Ach! My blueprints! Where'd they go? Ye seem to be a find lad - perhaps ye can find them for me?

uwmale3.png
Perhaps.

uwironwit.png
A right good lad ye are. In the storeroom I think the blueprints are. But ye cannot fly, can ye? Ach, that's a problem, the storeroom is high up. There's a flying potion somewhere ... in the spiral room? Ach, but that's locked ... The trouble ye put me through, I don't know why I'm helping ye.

uwmale3.png
But it is I that am helping thee.

uwironwit.png
Ach, speaking of help, ye could help an old man greatly by finding me blueprints if ye could. Now where was the key to the door to the spiral room? In the golden maze room, methinks. Ach, yes, it's the golden path ye must follow, or else ye may be poisoned ... no, that's the poison potion in the spiral room. Or was it a flying potion? Maybe both potions - ach, that's it!

uwmale3.png
But which potion is which?

uwironwit.png
Wait, don't rush me ... one potion is green, and the other red. Or is one red and the other green? Yes, that's it. One red and one green, no doubt of it. One of the two is a flying potion and one is poison ... or is it the other way around? Ach, now I've forgotten again. Oh, that's it - green is good. Or was it red is rotten?

uwironwit.png
Well, do your best won't ye? And while ye're in the area, if ye happen by me blueprints, bring them back here. I think I may have left them in the storeroom. Feel free to help yourself to anything else ye find, though.

I head north to try to get back Ironwit's potion.

uwi0228.png

Headless haunt the labyrinth below.

uwi0229.png

The key to the flying potion is right across this gorge.

uwi0232.png

Unfortunately, it is at the south end of a large room. If I cross the grey areas, I will lose a lot of health, so I have to wind along the golden path.

uwi0231.png

Slews of acid slugs show up to poison me. I decide to try this again when I have a few more levels under my belt.

uwi0238.png

In the northeast section of the level, I find some dirt to plant the silver seed. When I die I will resurrect here.

uwi0240.png

Unfortunately, I picked a spot inhabited by a bunch of gray goblins. Oh well!

uwi0242.png

I swim north through this river.

uwi0244.png

I find a healing fountain.

uwi0248.png

I go back to Corby's chambers and the door miraculously opens this time.

uwi0249.png

I find Corby inside.

uwcorby.png
Hast thou come to add to my torment?

uwmale3.png
Of what torment dost thou speak?

uwcorby.png
Why, the torment of lost hopes ... Of disillusionment.

uwmale3.png
Tell me more.

uwcorby.png
I shared the great dream of Sir Cabirus, that the Avatar's way could be pursued by all folk. We sought to gather all intelligent species here in the Abyss and teach them to live in harmony. Alsa, it was not to be. The constant bickering proved too much for kindlyu Sir Cabirus, and he perished in his sleep. Some said he was poisoned, but I know he died of a broken spirit. His life's work was this place, and as he watched it crumble, his heart broke as well.

uwmale3.png
A terrible waste. Did nothing good come from it?

uwcorby.png
Well, aye, Sir Cabirus did gather a number of artifacts with interesting properties. He thought the use of these artifacts might assist the colonists as they purused the way of the Avatar. Unfortunately, the objects were misused by the folk he hoped to help.

uwmale3.png
How so?

uwcorby.png
Each of the eight items gathered by Sir Cabirus embodied one of the Virtues. But those who now possess the items keep them merely for their intrinsic value, not their higher purpose.

uwmale3.png
Then I shall find these artifacts and put them to their proper use.

uwi0251.png

I eat some bread and then fall asleep.

uwi0252.png

uwi0253.png

uwi0255.png

As usual, his ramblings are less than helpful. I now head for the eastern part of the level.

uwi0256.png

There is no way in hell I am eating those mushrooms!

uwi0258.png

Here is some random loot I find.

uwi0259.png

I will now show you how to make popcorn.

uwi0260.png

First, take some corn in hand. Then use it on a torch!

uwi0261.png

Voila!

uwi0263.png

I also find a ragged scroll around here.

uwi0264.png

Since I am a mage, this mantra is not very helpful.

uwi0266.png

I throw it away.

uwi0267.png

After killing a pack of wolf spiders, I have ascended to level 6. It is now time for another well deserved rest.

uwi0268.png

uwi0270.png

uwmale3.png
Goddamnit.

uwi0273.png

uwi0274.png

This scroll may be a bit more useful.

Now, I head back to the Dwarves Mountainmen quarters to show you how the barter system works.

uwi0277.png

Do you see the items at the top of the screen? I have selected a piece of chicken from Brawnclan's inventory and will attempt to trade it for three green mushrooms from my inventory.

uwi0278.png

I select the third option to evaluate the deal. I think the accuracy of my evaluation depends on my Haggle stat, but I honestly have not found that much to barter for.

uwi0279.png

As expected, he rejects the offer. Oh well, it is time to rest again!

uwi0280.png

uwi0281.png

uwi0282.png

I think I missed something in the east section, so I head back there.

uwi0283.png

uwi0284.png

It is just another scroll.

uwi0285.png

uwi0286.png

uwi0287.png

uwi0289.png

uwi0290.png

Yeah, that guy loves to drop by every now and then.

uwi0292.png

I find some more equipment.

uwi0293.png

I use the first level spell IN MANI YLEM to create food.

uwi0294.png

Now isn't that convenient?

uwi0295.png

I head to the south section of the level, kill another spider, and find a silver key with a red handle.

uwi0296.png

I also find some stairs leading back up to the first level. Since I have some unfinished business there, I head back up.

uwi0298.png

I use the silver key to unlock the lock.

uwi0300.png

The door exits into the canals. I take a swim.

uwi0301.png

I finally find a beach to climb to shore. I am now in the eastern part of the first level.

uwi0304.png

I wonder if this strange orb telling me about a green path will come in handy a long time from now? :roll:

uwi0307.png

I now head to the western edge of the level and use the silver key to unlock this lock.

uwi0308.png

Inside is a hostile imp. He flies around and puts up quite a fight before I magic missile his ass into next week.

uwi0310.png

uwi0311.png

Unlike other scrolls, this scroll appears to have a magic scroll that allows longer jumps. It will come in handy shortly.

uwi0312.png

I clear out the remaining hostile goblins on the western side of the level.

uwi0319.png

I head to the eastern half of the first level to find the Gray Goblin hideout.

uwi0320.png

I also come across a hostile skeleton. It can be tough at this point.

uwi0321.png

I now come to a "puzzle" room. There are 3-4 columns of different heights; the westmost one is the shortest, and the eastmost one is the tallest.

uwi0322.png

I need to find a way to reach the ledge in the southeast corner of the room.

uwi0323.png

This is the one.

uwi0325.png

I go back up the ramp and enter the room across the hall. These switches control the heights of the pillars in the previous room. I reverse the order of the switches.

uwi0326.png

Now, the eastmost one is the shortest, and the westmost one is the tallest.

uwi0327.png

I can now jump onto the pillar in the southwest corner of the room. I then jump up all the other pillars along the southern wall and reach the platform.

uwi0328.png

Up here I find the gravesite of Korianous, the architect of most of the dwellings in the Abyss.

uwi0331.png

I wonder what the chest contains?

uwi0332.png

Holy moly! I'm rich, bitch!

uwi0336.png

uwmale3.png
Damn! So close!

uwi0335.png

I now make my way to the Gray Goblin township.

uwi0337.png

I speak to Eb, the Gray Goblin gateguard.

uweb.png
So! Who go there?

uwmale3.png
My name is Elzair.

uweb.png
Elzair, eh? I think I heard of you. You new here, eh? You come to right place. Gray Goblins the most powerful group here. Good idea speak with King Ketchaval. He very wise and strong. Maybe you best talk to Queen retichall first, though. On you go, now.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0338.png

I now speak to a generic Gray Goblin.

uwgreygoblin.png
You have business here?

uwmale3.png
Canst thou telle me of thy race, the Goblins?

uwgreygoblin.png
GRAY Goblins, GRAY Goblins, not just Goblins. Say Goblins, maybe you mean Green Goblins too, ugh. You not want to know about them. Nasty and brutish they are. Uglier than humans even. Not related to us, no, not at all.

uwmale3.png
Well then, what of the Gray Goblins?

uwgreygoblin.png
Ah, yes, Gray Goblins, much better. We the rulers of this area. All others look up to us, humans, Green Goblins, spiders even. You look for powerful group, you came to right place.

uwmale3.png
Perhaps. I shall continue to explore.

uwi0339.png

This is Jaacar.

jaacar Hey! Who this? What you do?

uwmale3.png
I have come to admire the architectural splendor of thy people's settlement.

uwgreygoblin.png
What you say? You like to explore, walk around? Don't explore too careful, could end up someplace you not want to be. I seen that happen, heehee!

uwmale3.png
Is this area dangerous, then?

uwgreygoblin.png
Us Grays, we never do it on purpose -- haha -- but in Night, I hear sometimes scream and then splash, sometimes splash and then scream. Then in morning one of us not here. Dangerous privy it is there. I watch out if I you. Heehee.

uwmale3.png
And they are never heard from again?

uwgreygoblin.png
That right. Heehee. Splash! Aiiieeeee! Gone gone gone. Hee hee. You be careful, you. If any still alive from splash, I bet they not be too happy. You be on your toes.

uwmale3.png
Don't worry about me

I will have to see this horrible commode.

uwi0341.png

I press the button to get in the cell.

uwi0342.png

uwi0343.png

This scroll tells me to use the polestaff lying in here to push the button if I ever get trapped inside here.

uwi0345.png

This is Retichall, queen of the Gray Goblins.

uwretichall.png
Yes? What dost thou want, human?

uwmale3.png
I wish to speak to thy husband.

uwretichall.png
And what reason hast thou for speaking to him?

uwmale3.png
I have important information for him.

uwretichall.png
Very well, thou mayst speak to him. Do not overstay thy welcome. He is a busy man.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwi0346.png

I now speak with Ketchaval, king of the Gray Goblins.

uwketchaval.png
Who be ye and what business have ye here?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair. I wish to speak with thee.

uwketchaval.png
I have never heard of ye. Be ye friend to Vernix?

uwmale3.png
No, I am not.

uwketchaval.png
Hmmm. Very well. Did ye speak with him?

uwmale3.png
Yes, I did.

uwketchaval.png
Poofy, ain't he? Not a proper Goblin at all!

uwmale3.png
I agree, certainly. Yet what of thee?

uwketchaval.png
I be Ketchaval, the mighty leader of the last holding of the noble Goblins, the Gray tribe. Years ago, when we were lured here by that sweet-talking fool Cabirus, we noble Grays brought with us our servants, the lowly and ignorant Green Goblins, to care for us in our new homes. We later granted them equal citizenship, though all knew we did them more honor than they were worth. And see how they rewarded us! They split off when Cabirus' "civilization" fell, and have opposed us ever since. Only my leadership has kept us together in the face of such opposition.

uwmale3.png
Such a job must have many cares.

uwketchaval.png
My enemies are legion. Even the vermin here are troublesome. A great she-spider, known as Navrey Night-eyes, threatens my folk. Nor is she my only problem, though she is enough. Her web, ye know, be strong as iron, and does not burn. A Goblins caught in it will stay 'till he rots!

uwmale3.png
Perhaps I can help.

uwmale3.png
Terrible!

uwketchaval.png
Indeed, 'tis not fair! Still, we must persevere. Was there anything else.

uwmale3.png
I need to find a girl.

uwketchaval.png
I know nothing of now girl! I've got problems of me own.

uwmale3.png
Well, canst thou tell me aught of the Abyss?

uwketchaval.png
A human fool named Cabirus convince many of our peple to come here and colonize this accursed place. When his dreams were shown to be mere folly, he killed himself -- by taking poison -- and left us to our fates.

uwmale3.png
Tragic!

I think I will try to find this spider.

uwi0348.png

This is the lair of the spiders. There are three of them.

uwi0351.png

I dispatch the first two and cross the bridge to the lair of the third.

uwi0349.png

It is another wolf spider.

uwi0352.png

I finally dispatch him after depleting my mana and resorting to fisticuffs (or axecuffs as the case may be).

uwi0353.png

I find some spider thread that I take with me. Who knows what it might be used for?

uwi0354.png

I head back to the bridge and swim north to find an alcove on the east side.

uwi0355.png

Inside I find a healing fountain.

uwi0357.png

I also find a lockpick.

uwi0358.png

The secret door exits out to the hallway leading to the spider's den. I head back to the Gray Goblin encapment.

uwi0360.png

Apparently the commode Jaacar was talking about is just a botomless pit. I jump down it.

uwi0361.png

I land in the stream near the healing fountain on the second level. Since I have gained so many levels, I head for the shrine in the northwest corner to boost my mage stats.

uwi0365.png

Alright! I now have what it takes to get Ironwit's blueprints.

uwi0366.png

I head back to the key room.

uwi0367.png

I race along the golden path to get the key. I then avoid the slugs and race back to the north end and jump across to safety. Whew!

uwi0370.png

I now examine the key I obtained.

uwi0371.png

I take the ramp all the way down to the bottom.

uwi0372.png

uwi0373.png

The key unlocks the door.

uwi0374.png

Inside are two potions. I think Ironwit said green was good, and red was bad. Fuck it! Why solve stupid puzzles like this when you have save-reload?

uwi0376.png

It looks like red really was poisonous. That leaves the green potion to be the flying potion by process of elimination. I nab it and head back up.

uwi0377.png

I head to the eastmost of the raised platforms and drink the flying potion.

uwi0379.png

I fly south and then west.

uwi0380.png

I use the key on the lock.

uwi0382.png

Inside is a chest.

uwi0383.png

I take the UUS runestone and the map holder and fly back to Ironwit. If I hoof it, I can get all the way back to the platforms without having to fight any headless in the pits below.

uwi0386.png

Ironwit's blueprints are in the map holder case.

uwironwit.png
Ach, I recognize ye! Ye're my blueprints! No ... maybe ye're my tools? My potion? I know I've seen ye somewhere.

uwmale3.png
I have retrieved thy blueprints.

uwironwit.png
Maybe these are your blueprints, but they are not mine!

uwi0387.png

I place the blueprints in the barter window.

uwmale3.png
Here are thy blueprints.

uwironwit.png
My blueprints! At last we are reunited! Here, take another flying potions as a measure of my gratitude. Or perhaps it's a green potion ... never ye mind. I'm sure it will do something useful. I bet ye've never seen a flying potion before, so ye be careful with it.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

So I got a spare flying potion for my trouble. Oh well.

uwi0390.png

I use the key with the red label to unlock a door in the south part of this level.

uwi0391.png

Inside are a pack of skeletons. They put up a good fight, but they go down.

uwi0393.png

They were guarding a lamp and some lamp oil. I immediately replace my torches with this lamp.

uwi0392.png

I kill a few acid slugs in the same area to get some nice headgear.

uwi0395.png

It is too bad I don't have a hard hat because it is now time to enter the mines.

uwi0396.png

I decide to find Shak before confronting the monster.

uwi0397.png

I first find a dwarf mountainman named Hewstone.

uwmountainman.png
Ach, ye don't look like a miner to me. Who be ye?

uwmale3.png
I am Elzair, an adventurer.

uwmountainman.png
Well met, Elzair. I be Hewstone. What are ye doing in these parts?

uwmale3.png
I am searching for a monster to destroy.

uwmountainman.png
The monster of the mines? A great boon it would be if ye did defeat it, but I don't know that it can be done. A fearsome thing it is. Caught it once out of the corner of me eye, and I don't care to see it again.It lurks in the north part of these mines. Ye be careful, if ye truly mean to destroy it. We caused a cave-in to block its area from ours, so ye'll have to break your way through it. Is there anything I can help ye wiht before ye go off after it?

uwmale3.png
Is there great treasure in these mines?

uwmountainman.png
Ach, ye've come to the right place. There is no treasure better than gold, and gold there is in abundance in these mines especially, ye shall find a beautiful sight. Be careful of the monster that's been seen around those parts, though. Now, what else might ye want to know?

uwmale3.png
What is it like to be a miner?

uwmountainman.png
Aye, ye would be a miner, eh? It's a tough,job ye should know that. Don't take it up if ye have not the strength. Hard it work it is, picking up a rock hammer and smashing boulders to pieces, scraping the rock over and over again, one inch of wall at a time.

uwmale3.png
There must be some good points to being a miner.

uwmountainman.png
Well, it is backbreaking work but the rewards are great. Gold there is for the hard worker, and I know of no substance better. Ah, the thrill of feeling one's hammer thud solid rock and suddenly discovering a new vein! Go ye to the northern part of these mines and see for yourself the beauty of a gold mine. But watch yourself - a fearsome monster has been seen in that area, and perhaps even an adventurer such as ye could not handle it.

uwmale3.png
Farewell.

uwmountainman.png
Farewell.

uwi0398.png

I do not think I can mine these gold deposits. Shame. :(

uwi0399.png

I still pick up a rock hammer for later.

uwi0401.png

This drain will take me down to level three.

uwi0403.png

I finally find a mini fortress.

uwi0404.png

Shak is inside.

uwshak.png
Greetings to ye. I am Shak of the Mountain-folk. What may I do for ye?

uwmale3.png
I need some information.

uwshak.png
What do ye wish tae ken?

uwmale3.png
What dost thou know of the Talismans of Sir Cabirus?

uwshak.png
Little enough o' most, but I ken well that two o' em were smith-work. A sword and a shield they were, both fine work.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of this Sword.

uwshak.png
Aye, now there was a weapon! Willful, they say, but potent beyond mortal blades. It had a sense of fair play, did Caliburn. 'Twasn't for naught they called it the Sword o' Justice. 'Twas forged by the great Flamebeard himself. Would there be anything else then?

uwmale3.png
Dost thou know where the Sword lies?

uwshak.png
NO, I do not. Broken into two pieces, I hear it was, but where they are I canna tell ye.

uwmale3.png
Tell me of the Shield.

uwshak.png
The Shielf of VAlor, it were named. Never a finer one did I see. 'Twas Blackthorne's once, or so I've 'eard tell. But it wer one o' those things easier to set aside than to take up again, an' he left it when he went to become the conscience for all the world. Ach, but that were a mess. Be there aught else I can do for ye?

uwmale3.png
Dost thou know where the Shield is now?

uwshak.png
Ah, I dinna ken that a' all. I ye should see it, let me know!

uwmale3.png
I will indeed.

uwi0406.png

They are not kidding.

uwi0405.png

If I head down that path, a boulder will drop down blocking my path unless I can destroy it with a rock hammer.

uwi0407.png

uwi0408.png

I find another scroll for a nightvision skill.

uwi0410.png

The beholder gazer lies beyond these boulders. I can destroy the boulders with a rock hammer, but I want to get the lightning bolt spell before I confront it.

uwi0420.png

I head back to Goldthirst's throne room and use the red-handled key to open the door in the southwest corner.

uwi0422.png

I then take the stairs down to level three. What I find there is a story for another day.

DaveO

Erudite
Welcome back! I'm looking forward to seeing more!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom