Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Play Ultima: From Akalabeth to Ascension! (Now on VII)

Someone should think about bumping this.

Elzair

Cipher
Alright, I have decided to get back to my Ultima LP for a little while. I also just beat Ultima VII and am on to UW2. Since I guess I don't like the Underworld series much, what character is the easiest to play?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:yeah:

Elzair said:
Since I guess I don't like the Underworld series much, what character is the easiest to play?

Can't say about "the easiest", but Paladins, Druids and Mages are good choices imho. And if you choose to play a mage, which I did a long, long time ago, don't miss the "something of Valour" (iirc).
Anyway, will follow this LP closely. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
meh.ro3754.jpg

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It looks like all the local Ultima connoisseurs hibernate during the Christmas season. You should probably ask your question in GRPGD, Elzair.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VII Part 5: Wherein I Finally Bake Some Bread

Ultima VII: The Black Gate

Part 5: Wherein I Finally Bake Some Bread

Before I head for the capital, I need to get a sextant. I can find one cheap in the House of Items in Paws.

uviib00361.png

This is Beverlea, the owner of the House of Items.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Beverlea.png
My name is Beverlea.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Beverlea.png
Why, I run the House of Items here in Paws.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about the House of Items.

u7Beverlea.png
It is a shop that sells antiques and previously used items. Running this shop allows me to remain youthful and active. It is heartening to sell things to the poor people of this town that they might not otherwise be able toafford.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What kind of items?

uviib00363.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
I would like the sextant.

u7Beverlea.png
I have a sextant that was sold by the world-famous shipwright Owen of Minoc. They are going to be building a monument to him, I understand. Anyway, the sailor who sold it to me had just suffered some harrowing experience out on the waters. He said when he sold it to me that he was going to retire. He obviously did not realize the value of this item. But I can let thee have it for twenty gold pieces. Dost thou wish to buy it?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Yes.

u7Beverlea.png
Thou mayest take thy sextant! And may thou always have smooth sailing!

uviib00364.png

I take the sextant after paying for it (since I am feeling virtuous).

uviib00365.png

Hooray! I finally have an auto-map! Now, since I am heading into the capital, I have to arrive in style. I head back to the Trinsic stables.

uviib00366.png

Welcome to Andyman Messiah's favorite show, Pimp My Horse!

uviib00367.png

Wow, the clean-up crew did a bang-up job!

uviib00368.png

Now we're travelling in style!

uviib00369.png

uviib00370.png

We arrive in Britain. Now, I'll provide you with a run-down of the shops.

uviib00375.png

This is the jeweller. He buys any jewels I find in my travels.

uviib00377.png

This is the North Star Armoury.

uviib00378.png

This Armourer has a pretty good selection of armour (up to plate). I am feeling a little poor at this time, so I pass.

uviib00379.png

This is the famous Iolo's Bows.

uviib00381.png

This kid sells tripple crossbows, but I cannot afford one right now. Damn, you think Iolo could borrow his own stock!

uviib00382.png

This is Gaye's Clothiers.

uviib00383.png

She will provide me with an outfit I need in a quest. However, I now want to
show you about the depth of object interaction in this game.

uviib00384.png

uviib00385.png

uviib00386.png

uviib00387.png

I spin the wool into thread.

uviib00388.png

Next, I weave the thread into cloth.

uviib00389.png

uviib00391.png

Finally, I cut the cloth into bandages, which restore some of my health during battle.

uviib00392.png

Now, it is on to the bakery.

uviib00393.png

This guy will buy bags of flour from me for 12 gold apiece and will let me bake bread for one gold coin apiece.

uviib00394.png

Let's get ready to . . . BAAAAAAAAAKKEE!!!

uviib00395.png

I set the flour on the table . . .

uviib00396.png

. . . add water . . .

uviib00397.png

uviib00398.png

. . . and set the ball into the oven to cook into bread.

uviib00399.png

uviib00400.png

Cool! An honest day's work feels good! Let's go get drunk!

uviib00403.png

Where else but the Blue Boar?

uviib00404.png

Tonight 9-12

in person

the Avatars

uviib00405.png

It doesn't look like a happenin' joint at this hour. Let's see who's here.

uviib00406.png

This is a funny character.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Mack.png
I am Mack.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Mack.png
I am a farmer, though most folks just call me a lunatic.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why would I call you a lunatic?

u7Mack.png
Thou dost also think so, eh? But I tell thee what I say is true! There are creatures visiting us from another place in the stars! I have seen them!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What creatures?

u7Mack.png
They are big mean ugly liontigers! Or is that tigerlions? They are ferocious and they want to eat us!

u7MaleAvatar.png
You said you have seen them?

u7Mack.png
With mine own eyes I have seen a star creature and the inexplicable conveyance which enabled it to travel to Britannia! I swear to thee! I am completely sane! I have proof!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What proof?

u7Mack.png
Go and look behind my farm in the middle of the field. Take a look for thyself and thou shalt see my proof.

Farmer Mack sounds like a delirious yokel.

uviib00452.png

What the fuck is a Kilrathi fighter doing in Ultima? It looks like Farmer Mack was right!

u7Mack.png
Did I not tell thee that I am no loonie? Still, my story of how I did come across this thing is beyond belief.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me your story.

u7Mack.png
I like to stay up late. Sometimes I see bright lights flash across the sky. No one else ever pays them any mind. But one night I see this bright light come crashing down and it lands in my field.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Go on.

u7Mack.png
After the explosion and crash I ran out to my field. There I saw the strange machine that thou hast seen, only it was glowing hot. I was terrified. But then the top of the machine started to open.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Go on.

u7Mack.png
I could not move from the spot as I saw the strange ship open. From out of the top came the vicious tigerlion. There was a savage hunger in its eyes.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Hunger?

u7Mack.png
In other words, it looked like it might eat me!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tigerlion?!

u7Mack.png
It came at me like a predator comes after prey. It was so fast that I could not even move. I thought I was going to be killed for certain. It reached me in a second. It looked into mine eyes, and then it died.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How?

u7Mack.png
What it and I had failed to notice was that I was holding mine hoe. It had once been accidentally enchanted by a passing mage, and it works wondrously in the fields. I use it for everything! The tigerlion had run itself through upon it. As it died, the thing spoke.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What did it speak?

u7Mack.png
It said two words. 'Kill Wrathy.' I do not know who this Wrathy person is, or why the tigerlion wanted me to kill him. But I do know I sure get worried now whenever I see moving lights in the night sky.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Kill Wrathy?

u7Mack.png
I am quite certain that was it, or something like that. Anyway the tigerlion itself proved to be quite delicious.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Eww! How did a hoe kill a tigerlion anyway?

u7Mack.png
I am sure thou dost know about the plague of looniness that has come to afflict all of the mages in the world. It was several years ago that I brought my broken hoe to a mage called Mumb. Fixing things was all he was good for anymore. There was also some fighter who wanted Mumb to enchant his sword, turning it into The Sword of Death. It appears poor Mumb got confused and that fighter came back and killed him because the man wound up with a sword that was only good for cutting weeds. I could never figure out exactly what happened. It appears that old Mumb made mine hoe into the Hoe of Destruction Unfortunately, the hoe is lost.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Lost?

u7Mack.png
Well, 'tis not really lost. It is locked up in my shed. It is the key to the shed that is lost! I think I might have accidentally used it as a fishhook when I was fishing on the banks of Lock Lake. So now I cannot get into my shed. One would think I -am- a looney!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Bye!

u7Mack.png
I thank thee for thy decency and consideration.

uviib00408.png

Why does LB allow Corpsers/Sea Serpents/Krakens in his moat?

uviib00410.png

Oh well, it is time for some shut eye.

uviib00413.png

This is the strength test. I need more strength to hit the bell.

uviib00414.png

This is Sentri, one of my old companions from V & VI (or at least he would have been if I had taken him along).

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Sentri.png
Thou dost not remember me? I am Sentri! We have gone adventuring together in the past!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What are you up to?

u7Sentri.png
When I am not adventuring with old friends, I am a trainer in Britain. I specialize in combat involving swordsmanship. I am quite good at that, as thou dost remember. But I would drop everything to join thy group if thou art not too encumbered.

u7MaleAvatar.png
You train in swordsmanship?

u7Sentri.png
Sentri draws his sword so quickly it is like a flash of lightning. He does a few fancy moves, slashing the air with the blade. No foe shall stand after I am finished with him!

u7MaleAvatar.png
How are our friends?

u7Sentri.png
I do not see our old friends Iolo, Shamino, or Dupre much.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Iolo.

u7Sentri.png
How art thou, friend? Thou dost look like thou couldst use a little training thyself!

u7Iolo.png
What is this? Everyone doth make fun of my physique!

u7Sentri.png
I am not making fun, Iolo. I am serious! Sentri laughs.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How is Lord British?

u7Sentri.png
I never see him much. He stays in that castle of his all the time. He never gets out. No wonder he hasn't a clue what is going on in this country.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How is Britain?

u7Sentri.png
I am becoming weary of the place. It is having growth pains of which the bourgeoisie are unaware. All is not as serene as the noblemen present it.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is not serene?

u7Sentri.png
Well, for example, try going to one of the smaller towns, say, Paws. It is a poor man's place. It reeks, too. And 'tis only just beyond the Britain town limits. More money should be put into improving the land as a whole, not just in building new buildings in the capitol city. I do not know what Lord British is thinking!

u7MaleAvatar.png
How about joining up?

u7Sentri.png
Sentri bows. I am very pleased to join thy group.

Since he is a party member, he will train me for free.

uviib00416.png

uviib00417.png

uviib00418.png

uviib00419.png

uviib00420.png

Cool! I think my dexterity and combat stats have improved. After levelling-up I can find a trainer to advance some of my stats.

uviib00421.png

I find a key in Sentri's room that unlocks his armory.

uviib00422.png

I find a full suit of plate mail inside. I give it to Sentri since it belongs to him.

uviib00424.png
uviib00425.png

This is the Royal Museum. It has gained some new exhibits since last time.

uviib00426.png

Fortunately, the runes are just decorations in this game.

uviib00427.png

Here are the two lenses needed to view the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom.

uviib00428.png

Here is the Silver Horn and the Vortex Cube. The horn is useless, and I cannot remember if the cube does anything.

uviib00429.png

This is Candice, the curator of the Britannian museum. She is also doing it with the mayor.

uviib00430.png

Don't worry, Iolo. I'll condone it.

uviib00431.png

These orbs will be very handy for casting Mark and Recall on when I reach level four.

Also, there are some free Swamp Boots. Score!

uviib00433.png

This is Patterson, the mayor. He is doing it with the curator behind his wife's back.

uviib00435.png

This is his wife. She is a harpsichordist at the Royal Music Hall. She wants me to find out where her husband goes after his nightly Fellowship meetings.

uviib00438.png

This is some shopkeeper guy.

uviib00439.png

Another Avatar?! The plot thickens . . .

uviib00440.png

u7Shamino.png
Yes, Avatar?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Hey Shamino! What are you up to?

u7Shamino.png
I should hope 'twould be adventuring with thee! I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway? But please tell me what brings thee here!

u7MaleAvatar.png
There was a murder in Trinsic.

u7Shamino.png
*after listening to the story* I would be honored to join and help thee in investigating this matter.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What else should we be accomplishing?

u7Shamino.png
Well, I do not know if thou art aware, but we are having many problems with magic in general, and with the Moongates.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is wrong with the Moongates?

u7Shamino.png
I am confounded by their inability to function properly.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is wrong with magic?

u7Shamino.png
Magic all over Britannia seems to be disturbed. Say, dost thou remember Nicodemus in the great forest? He has gone mad and is terribly silly. Perhaps we should visit him.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why are you in Britain?

u7Shamino.png
Yes, I have been in Britain as of late, attempting to find work. Thou dost know that adventuring comes around too infrequently. One must find -other- diversions. Which reminds me... I have thy pocketwatch.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Cool.

uviib00441.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
What diversions BTW?

u7Shamino.png
The usual. I do not see our old friends often, and Lord British rarely finds work for me. I certainly have no timefor wenching or drinking -- I have grown up a bit.

u7Iolo.png
Ahem, I have heard something about an actress, no?

u7Shamino.png
What dost thou know of it?

u7Iolo.png

u7Shamino.png
Thou art a swine, Iolo.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What about Amber?

u7Shamino.png
*obviously smitten* She is an actress I know.

u7MaleAvatar.png
When was the last time you saw our old friends?

u7Shamino.png
Thou dost mean Iolo and Dupre, I presume?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Iolo.

u7Shamino.png
Dost thou mean that miserable excuse for an archer?

u7Iolo.png
Watch what thou dost say, scoundrel!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Care to join?

u7Shamino.png
*looking relieved* I am -so- glad thou didst ask me that. He gathers his gear and prepares to follow you.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Bye.

u7Shamino.png
*bows slightly*

uviib00444.png

This is the Royal Mint. I can rob the place to get rich.

uviib00445.png

Here is one more key I can find. I head to LB's palace.

uviib00447.png

This is that annoying excuse for a jester.

Now, let us play The Game! See if you can grok the rule of the game.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Name.

u7Chuckles.png
I must not say my name, lest I break the rule of The Game!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Job.

u7Chuckles.png
I was, am, and shall be the Court...Fool! I could give thee a clue if I wish, but for now my job is to play The Game.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Game.

u7Chuckles.png
Thou must play The Game if thou dost want to speak with me.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What are the rules?

u7Chuckles.png
Thou must just learn The Game and then jump in and play it!

u7MaleAvatar.png
I know The Game

u7Chuckles.png
Then just play it!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Of what do we speak?

u7Chuckles.png
Of what thou wouldst like.

u7MaleAvatar.png
A joke.

u7Chuckles.png
I do not think I can tell a good joke whilst I play The Game! 'Twould be hard! Hmm. Ah! I have one! Why did the hen cross the road? To get to the side she was not on!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Thou.

u7Chuckles.png
Why dost thou want to speak of me? Canst thou not think of a thing much more fun of which to speak?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Girls.

u7Chuckles.png
There be a lot of fine girls in our fair town! Or is it 'fair girls in our fine town'? Chuckles shrugs his shoulders.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Food.

u7Chuckles.png
There is good food at the pub! As for me, I like to eat on the floor of my room!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Where is the Blue Boar?

u7Chuckles.png
Thou canst get a good meal there! But I could give thee a good -clue-!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Clue.

u7Chuckles.png
Art thou sure thou canst play The Game?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Yes.

u7Chuckles.png
Then prove it! Talk to me.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Hi, Chuck.

u7Chuckles.png
Hi there! What is on thy mind?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Too much.

u7Chuckles.png
Ah, I do know what thou dost mean. Thou dost need help, yes?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Yes, I do.

u7Chuckles.png
Hmm. I might could give thee a clue.

u7Iolo.png
I would like to give Chuckles a black eye!

u7MaleAvatar.png
That would be big of thee.

u7Chuckles.png
What wilt thou give me for the clue?

u7MaleAvatar.png
A smile.

u7Chuckles.png
How nice! All right! I shall give thee a clue. 'Tis here in this scroll. So long, my friend! Do not forg... I mean, do not lose how to play The Game!

uviib00448.png

As usual, it makes me scroll forward several times, and if I go click-crazy, I will likely miss the clue.

uviib00449.png

All right. I will need to go to Minoc later anyway.

uviib00450.png

This is Lord British's chambermaid.

uviib00451.png

Heh heh . . .

uviib00455.png

This is Nystul, LB's court mage. He has gone crazy but not crazy enough to give me spells and reagents for free. :(

uviib00458.png

Here is king crazypants himself.

u7LordBritish.png
Welcome, my friend. Please. Tell me what brings thee to Britannia! Or, more importantly, what 'brought' thee here?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Job.

u7LordBritish.png
Must we go through this formality? Very well. As thou well knowest, I am sovereign of Britannia and have been for some time now. Even though I come from thine homeland, I have chosen to live my life here.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Homeland?!

u7LordBritish.png
I know that it has been many a year since I visited our Earth, but surely thou dost remember that the two of us hail from the same time and place? And, as brothers in origin, thou shouldst also remember that thou canst ask me for aid at any time thou mightest require it.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What kind of aid?

u7LordBritish.png
Do not forget, Avatar, that I have the power to heal thee. That is one bit of magic that still seems to work for me. And I could probably provide thee with some equipment and a spellbook.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How is Britannia?

u7LordBritish.png
The state of the land could not be more prosperous. Dost thou realize that thou hast been away for 200 Britannian years? I am certain that thy friends have rued thine absence. 'Tis a shame thou didst stay away so long! But... I am so very happy to see thee. Britannia is prosperous and abundant. Look around thee. Explore the newly refurbished castle. Travel the land. Peace is prominent in all quarters.Yes, Britannia has never been better. Well, almost never.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you mean by almost never?

u7LordBritish.png
Well, 'things' are indeed fine. It is the 'people' I am concerned about.There is something wrong in Britannia, but I do not know what it is. Something is hanging over the heads of the Britannian people. They are unhappy. One can see it in their eyes. There is nothing that is unifying the population, since there has been peace for so long.Perhaps thou couldst determine what is happening. I implore thee to go out amongst the people. Watch them in their daily tasks. Speak with them. Work with them. Break bread with them. Perhaps they need someone like the Avatar to take an interest in their lives.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Anyway, I came by a red Moongate . . .
I relate the story of how a red Moongate appeared behind my house and mysteriously took me to Trinsic. Lord British's brow creases as I speak.

u7LordBritish.png
I did not send the red Moongate to fetch thee. Someone or something must have activated that Moongate. And that is strange indeed, because we have been having a bit of trouble with Moongates as of late. In fact, we have been having trouble with magic in general!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What kind of troubles with magic have you been having?

u7LordBritish.png
Something is awry. Magic has not been working for the longest time. I even have trouble creating food with magic! It must be something to do with the magical ether.There are those who say that magic is dying, what with the trouble with the Moongates and the situation with Nystul. I am beginning to suspect that they might be right!

u7LordBritish.png
Perhaps magic will work much better for thee. Thou hast not been in Britannia long. It is possible that whatever has affected magic has not made its mark upon thee yet. Please try it. A spellbook is stored with the rest of thine equipment.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What about the Moongates?

u7LordBritish.png
The Moongates are not functioning! We cannot use them as we have in the past. Not only are they dysfunctional, they are, in fact, dangerous! One of my trusted sages used mine own Orb of the Moons to travel to the Shrine of Humility, and his body did shatter upon entering the gate! If only that mage in Cove hadn't gone mad!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What mad mage?

u7LordBritish.png
There is a mad mage in Cove by the name of Rudyom. Dost thou remember him? Rudyom was working with a magical substance called 'blackrock'. Before he went mad, he claimed that this mineral could solve the problems of the Moongates. I suggest that thou shouldst go to Cove and find him. Try to learn what it was he was doing with this blackrock material. It could be our only hope.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me more of Rudyom.

u7LordBritish.png
He was a brilliant and respected mage. But something happened to him in recent years. He seemed to go completely senile. I wonder if there is a connection with what happened to Rudyom and what has befallen Nystul!

Ya think?!

u7MaleAvatar.png
By the way, have you heard about Trinsic?

u7LordBritish.png
I have not been down there in many years. Has something happened there?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Nothing much; just a little murder.

u7LordBritish.png
Murder? In Trinsic? I have heard nothing about it. Art thou investigating it?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Yes.

u7LordBritish.png
Very good. It pleases me that thou art concerned about my people. Now that thou dost mention it, I have had reports of other similar murders in the past few months. In fact, there was one here in Britain three or four years ago. The body was mutilated in a ritualistic fashion. Apparently there is a maddened killer on the loose. But I have no doubt that someone such as thee, Avatar, can find him!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Ritualistic?

u7LordBritish.png
I do not recall many details. Thou shouldst ask Patterson, the town mayor, about it. He may remember more.

u7MaleAvatar.png
BTW, what do you think of the Fellowship?

u7LordBritish.png
They are an extremely useful and productive group of citizens. Thou shouldst most certainly visit the Fellowship Headquarters here in Britain and speak with Batlin. The Fellowship has done many good deeds throughout Britannia, including feeding the poor, educating and helping those in need, and promoting general good will and peace.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who is Batlin?

u7LordBritish.png
He is a druid who began The Fellowship about twenty years ago. He is highly intelligent, and is a warm and gentle human being.

u7MaleAvatar.png
...'kay. That does not sound like the Manchurian Candidate at all! Anyway, did you feel that earthquake a few days ago?

u7LordBritish.png
The foundation of Britannia was shaken with the rising of an island. This event was no random disaster, it was one of sorcerous intent.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What island?

u7LordBritish.png
Yes, Avatar. I felt a great disturbance in the ether when this island arose from the sea. The island is none other than the Isle of Fire where thou defeated the Hellspawn Exodus.

u7MaleAvatar.png
THAT Isle of Fire?

u7LordBritish.png
Avatar, thou shouldst know that when I created the shrines of the Virtues, I also set upon this island three great shrines, dedicated to the Priciples of Truth, Love, and Courage. They reside within the walls of the Castle of Fire. I never revealed this to thee before as I thought them forever lost when the Isle of Fire mysteriously sank beneath the waves. The shrines are meant for the use of an Avatar only, and therefore a talisman will be necessary to use one. The talismans are guarded by tests that thou shouldst have no problem passing if thou wishest to seek their counsel.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Do you have any spare equipment for me?

u7LordBritish.png
Thou art welcome to any of mine equipment. I keep it in a locked storeroom here in the castle. Thou wilt find the key in my study.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Where is the storeroom?

u7LordBritish.png
I am sure thou canst find it. *smiling* Consider it something of a game!

u7LordBritish.png
If thou are to investigate the Isle of Fire, I will give thee a ship.

uviib00459.png

Sweet! I will head to Cove next time.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VII Part 6: A Spectre Is Haunting Britannia

Part 6: A Spectre Is Haunting Britannia

Alright, last time Lord British told me I could loot his storeroom if I can find it.

uviib00462.png

Since there are so many levers about, I just start flipping them.

uviib00463.png

The rest are pretty self-explanatory.

uviib00464.png

I wonder if this will come up later?!

uviib00466.png

I find the key to the storeroom in a drawer in LB's study.

uviib00467.png

This is probably the first reference to Father Antos since Ultima IV.

uviib00468.png

Up on the roof-top, *click* *click* . . . waitaminute, that was last week.

uviib00469.png

Here is Weston, the husband of Alina in Paws.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Weston.png
I am Weston.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Weston.png
I have none so long as I am left to rot here in this prison.

u7Guard.png
Thy job is to pay for the crime thou hast committed.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why are you in prison?

u7Weston.png
My crime was stealing apples from the Royal Orchards. This I did and I admit it freely. If given the same set of circumstances I would do it again.

u7Guard.png
A-ha! Not only an unrepentant criminal but also a potential professional thief! Looks like this one has ended in the right place and just in the nick o' time.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why did you steal apples?

u7Weston.png
I had offered to buy them first, but Figg, the caretaker of the orchard, set an exorbitant price which I am certain he would have pocketed for himself. So, yes, I admit to stealing them.

u7Guard.png
See how the common criminal blames his type of immoral behavior on others, all the while denying it in himself! This one is irredeemable, he is.

u7MaleAvatar.png
So you admit to it?

u7Weston.png
Mine only regrets are that I did not try to steal something bigger and that I did not get away with it. I am not from Britain, Avatar. I am from Paws and it is another reason why they believe I can be trifled with.

u7Guard.png
This prisoner is from Paws! I bloody knew it! To his credit he was in town nearly an entire day before he stole something. For a citizen of Paws that is as honest as they come!

u7MaleAvatar.png
You are from Paws?

u7Weston.png
Paws is a town where thou mayest feel the icy grip of poverty about thine heart.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why is Paws so poor?

u7Guard.png
Oh bloody 'ell! Now I suppose he is going to go and tell us his whole pathetic life's story! Couldst thou wait until I get out mine handkerchief so I do not interrupt thee with all my wailing!

u7Weston.png
Not so long ago Paws was a thriving rustic coastal village. But as Britain grew larger most of our local businesses moved there. We became a farming town and the seven year drought gave us a lashing that we have yet to recover from.

u7MaleAvatar.png
So you stole because you are poor?

u7Weston.png
I do not wish to bemoan my fate, but my family lives in Paws -- my wife Alina and my child Cassie. They were starving and I came to Britain to get food for them.

u7Guard.png
Oh, now! Do not go and bring up poverty as an excuse as to why thou hast turned to crime! My father was so poor he and his family had to eat dirt. But he still raised me proper. Beat the stuffings out of me if he ever so much as imagined I did anything wrong, I can tell thee that!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Your family is starving?

u7Weston.png
Although there are fools who will speak otherwise, the people of Britannia are being crushed by the vicious tyranny of the class system. While a few have more than they could ever enjoy, there are many who go to sleep hungry every night. My wife and daughter to name two of them.

u7Guard.png
Oh, that reminds me it is nearly time for my meal break! The trout is supposed to be delicious today at the Farmer's Market.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Fools?

u7Weston.png
Fools like our good friend the guard would have us believe that nothing has changed in Britannia for over two hundred years. That we can live our lives as if all of our problems do not exist. I say to thee that it is people like that who cause our problems in the first place.

u7MaleAvatar.png
There is a class system now?

u7Weston.png
While I am certain Lord British is a just and fair ruler, he must be quite unaware of all that goes on in his kingdom. Surely he would not tolerate such inequity.

u7Guard.png
All right! That is enough noise out of thee! All day long yakkata-yakkata about the awful terrible class system! Why, the next thing thou knowest thou shalt be sayin' society is to blame for thy crimes. Not a word from anybody about any appreciation for keeping the laws and order. No, of course not! But all the pity in the world for the dangerous lawbreakers who are the real threat to society.

u7Weston.png
Wouldst thou speak with Lord British about me? I would bet that he is completely unaware of my case! Please! Wilt thou speak with him?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Yes.

u7Weston.png
Oh, I thank thee, Avatar! My fate and the fates of my wife and daughter are in thine hands!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Bye.

u7Weston.png
I thank thee for visiting me.

uviib00470.png

I unlock the left storeroom and find a bunch of neat stuff (including a spellbook).

uviib00472.png

Hurrah! My first piece of magic armor!

uviib00474.png

I get the feeling that I will have a lot of fun with this sign.

uviib00475.png

I meet my former companion Geoffrey the fighter who is still Captain of the Guard. He is pretty boring. Moving on.

uviib00478.png

This is Nanna, the caretaker of the new nursery.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Nanna.png
Oh, everyone simply calls me 'Nanna'.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Nanna.png
I watch over the Royal Nursery. I am the nanny of these wonderful children.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why is there a 'Royal Nursery?'

u7Nanna.png
There have been a great number of babies born in Britannia in recent years, so Lord British established this nursery. It is nice that the noblemen and noblewomen have this luxury so that they may attend to their daily duties.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What does a nanny do?

u7Nanna.png
Well, I feed them and change their diapers and read aloud all the books thou dost see lying around. Luckily, I have Sherry to help me.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Sherry is stil alive?! :shock:

u7Nanna.png
Sherry is a special mouse who has lived here in the castle for many, many years. She recites stories for the children.

u7MaleAvatar.png
So you consider daycare a luxury?

u7Nanna.png
Yes, I suppose it really is a luxury. The poorer people in Britannia certainly do not have such a service for caring for their children. The rich do have an advantage.

u7MaleAvatar.png
You dislike this 'advantage' don't you?

u7Nanna.png
I do not mean to complain by any means. I adore my work. But contrary to the thinking of many of the noblemen and women, a class structure exists in Britannia more than ever before. Taxes are unbearable. The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer, as the saying goes.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about the class structure.

u7Nanna.png
Well, look around! There are rich men who live in opulent castles. And right outside are poor people who live in hovels. Thou dost know how there are winged gargoyles and wingless gargoyles? Well, it seems the human race is getting to be just as divided. There is no unity in the land anymore. It is why I have joined The Fellowship.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Bye.

u7Nanna.png
Good day! Do come back and visit again soon!

uviib00479.png

Here is Sherry. No, she will not join my party.

uviib00471.png

Hmm . . . I wonder how to open this room?

uviib00480.png

I wonder if this lever has something to do with it?

uviib00481.png

Yup! I now grab my first suit of plate mail and a musket.

uviib00483.png

Since it is 8PM, let's check out this Fellowship meeting everyone keeps talking about.

uviib00484.png

This is the key to the poorbox.

uviib00485.png

I hope you don't mind Batlin, but I'm feeling a bit poor today.

uviib00486.png

Wow? Is that the same Crown Jewel that I am chasing after? Could Batlin and the Fellowship possibly have something to do with the murders?

uviib00487.png

This is Batlin, the head of the Fellowship. Unfortunately, I do not have a complete dialogue for him and I am too lazy to make one.

u7Batlin.png
Elzair, my dear, dear friend! How wonderful to see thee again! says Batlin.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Batlin.png
My name, good friend, is Batlin. And indeed it is truly a privilege to meet the Avatar in the flesh.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Batlin.png
I was once a druid. Now I am the leader and the originator of The Fellowship. It is rapidly growing throughou Britannia and keeps me very busy, as thou canst well imagine. Ha! Ha! Ha!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me more about the Fellowhip.

u7Batlin.png
The Fellowship was formed twenty years ago with the full approval and support of Lord British. It is a society of spiritual seekers who strive to reach the highest levels of human potential and to share this knowledge freely with all people.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me of your groups' philosophy.

u7Batlin.png
The Fellowship advances the philosophy of sanguine cognition, a way to apply a positive order of thought to one's life through what is called the Triad of Inner Strength.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is 'sanguine cognition'?

u7Batlin.png
We strive to avoid the mistakes made by mystic and sages since the dawn of time. They apply the standards of the past, such as the virtues, for example, to qualify the present, and thus they do not perceive it correctly. We seek to examine our present lives each on our own terms and see the world the way it is.

u7MaleAvatar.png
You do not find the Eight Virtues adequate?

u7Batlin.png
They are perfectly adequate for those who feel that they still need them for whatever reason. But no one, not even thyself, thou must admit, Avatar, can fulfill them perfectly. Therefore they are a philosophy that is ultimately based on failure. We have never claimed that our teachings are a substiture for the virtues. However, ours is a belief that is based on success, not failure.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Very well, what is the Triad of Inner Strength?

u7Batlin.png
The Triad of Inner Strength is simply three basic values that, when applied in unison, enable one to be more creative, satisfied and succeessful in life.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you value?

u7Batlin.png
The three values of the Triad of Inner Strength are Strive for Unity, Trust Thy Brother and Worthiness Precedes Reward.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How do you 'Strive for Unity'?

u7Batlin.png
When we say Strive for Unity, it is simply our way of expressing how the people of Britannia should all cooperate and work together. A worthwhile sentiment, I am certain thou wouldst concur.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How do you 'Trust Thy Brother'?

u7Batlin.png
What The Fellowship means by this is that people are all hte same and the world is, generally speaking, a supportive, nurturing place. The trust we place in each other is like the pinions that hold our society together. Quite true, wouldst thou not say?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Uh . . . yeah. How does 'Worthiness Precedes Reward'?

u7Batlin.png
Allow me to explain the meaning of Worthiness Precedes Reward. Each one of us seeks something which we desire form life and we must strive to be worthy of that which we seek. It would be difficult for thee to disagree I am quite sure.

u7MaleAvatar.png
. . . Okay. How do I join?

u7Batlin.png
Thou hast not completed thy tasks. Remember that Worthiness Precedes Reward. Once thou hast completed the missions, thou mayest join.

u7Batlin.png
Ah, but first things first. I recommend that thou takest our Examination to determine if thou art truly in need of The Fellowship's teachings. Dost thou want to take the test?

u7MaleAvatar.png
No.

u7Batlin.png
Perhaps another time, then.

u7MaleAvatar.png
BTW, do you know where Elizabeth and Abarahm might be?

uviib00488.png

So Minoc it is!

uviib00490.png

Everyone gathers for the Fellowship meeting.

uviib00491.png

Unfortunately, only Candice can hear it because I dragged Batlin's podium to the other room. :twisted:

uviib00495.png

You are right Spark. After the meeting I speak with Patterson.

uviib00498.png

I wonder why she looks guilty?

uviib00496.png

*cough* Bullshit. *cough*

uviib00497.png

I wonder if he will go home to his wife?

uviib00502.png

Nope. Anyway, I pump him for some information on the murders.

uviib00503.png

u7Patterson.png
I remember it well. Quite gruesome, it was. There was a man named Finster who was running for public office. He was quite outspoken in his opinions, and I suppose this got him into trouble.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What opinons?

u7Patterson.png
He was trying to make many social changes. He wanted more power for the Great Council and the Britannian Tax Council, and he wanted to disband The Fellowship. Finster was a nobleman with too much ambition. Anyway, his beliefs must have provided him with a few enemies.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who were they?

u7Patterson.png
How should I know? Anyway, his body was found in an abandoned building which is no longer standing. It used to be a storehouse of some kind, up near the castle. It was torn down a couple of years ago. The body was mutilated beyond belief. It was as if someone tied the poor man down with stakes and cut off all of his limbs. Finster was then beheaded. It was almost... what is the word... ritualistic!And that is all I remember. No one was ever arrested for the crime.

uviib00504.png

I have to see this.

uviib00512.png

This must be Amber.

uviib00514.png

I get the feeling he is no talking about a play. Anyway, I try out for the
understudy for the Avatar.

uviib00516.png

I get the 'don't call us; we'll call you' schmeel. :(

uviib00517.png

Anyway, let's head for Paws.

uviib00518.png

I wonder where the Moongates will take us?

uviib00519.png

If it works at all, a moongate will take me to one of the eight destinations in a given order. Since I do not want to go to Jhelom, I reload.

uviib00520.png

Let's finally see some action!

uviib00521.png

Yeah!

uviib00523.png

Since several party members were poisoned, I reach for my new spellbook and cast Cure.

uviib00524.png

One of the enemies has some chainmail.

uviib00525.png

Whohoo! Level 4!

uviib00526.png

FUCK! Spark bit the dust.

uviib00527.png

Oh my god! It's snakes . . . on a cart!

uviib00530.png

Shit! I died. Waitaminute . . . did you say Elizabeth and Abraham brought me here? Where are they?

uviib00531.png

Minoc it is, but first I have some business in Cove.

uviib00534.png

Lover's
Walk

uviib00539.png

Heh heh . . .

uviib00540.png

You know what? Fuck it. She yaps a bit and then joins my party.

uviib00541.png

She does not come with much.

uviib00544.png

u7Rudyom.png
Who art thou? Rudyom asks. Oh -- I remember.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Rudyom.png
That I know. My name is Rudyom.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Rudyom.png
I am not sure anymore. I was a powerful mage at one time! Now nothing works. Magic is afoul! I suppose I could sell thee some reagents and spells if thou dost want. And mind the carpet -- it does not work!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What Carpet?

u7Rudyom.png
The big blue carpet. 'Tis a flying carpet. It does not work like it should. Funny. It was here a while ago. Oh! I remember now. Some adventurers borrowed my flying carpet a few weeks ago. When they returned they said they had lost it near Serpent's Spine. Somewhere in the vicinity of the Lost River. I supposeif thou didst want to go and find it, thou couldst keep it. It did not work very well. Perhaps thou canst make it work. I did not like the color, anyway!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is wrong with your magic?

u7Rudyom.png
I do not understand what is wrong. My magic does not work so well anymore.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you know about the Moongates?

u7Rudyom.png
They are a nuisance, are they not? I do believe that blackrock is the solution to the problem. I wish my mind had not lost me, or I could continue my work...

u7MaleAvatar.png
How is blackrock the answer?

u7Rudyom.png
Do not mention that foul mineral's name to me! It hast caused me much frustration! Before my mind lost me I was conducting experiments with the infernal material. But now I cannot for the life of me remember what it was I was trying to do.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Do you remember anything about your experiments?

u7Rudyom.png
I wrote them all down in my notebook, which is somewhere around here. Thou art welcome to look at it. But stay away from that damned transmuter -- 'tis dangerous!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is in the notebook?

u7Rudyom.png
I used it to record mine experiments with blackrock and the blackrock transmuter.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is a blackrock transmuter?

u7Rudyom.png
'Tis that wand-like thing. It was supposed to magnetize and magically transmute blackrock, but it doth not work correctly. Try pointing it at a piece of blackrock and thou wilt see what I mean. But do not stand too close! Thou art welcome to take it if thou dost want a piece of garbage!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Bye.

u7Rudyom.png
Leaving so soon? Deary me. I hope I remember thee if thou dost come back.

uviib00546.png

What the fuck?!

uviib00549.png

uviib00550.png

Let's test out this transmuter.

uviib00547.png

This is Rudyom's wand. Let's use it on some blackrock.

uviib00548.png

DAMN!!

uviib00551.png

While I am in the neighborhood, I decide to visit the Shrine of Compassion

uviib00552.png

This hot young thing is the only one in Cove (apart from Rudyom I guess) who does not have a lover. Let's fix that.

uviib00553.png

Please, miss. I want some more.

uviib00554.png

MOAR!!

uviib00555.png

That's the way uh-huh uh-huh I like it uh-huh uh-huh . . .

uviib00556.png

Orgasm in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

uviib00557.png

Yep *scratches chest* I think I just gained an eighth in Passion.

uviib00558.png

Poor kitty.

uviib00559.png

At least he has something useful on him.

I now head back to Britain before taking a Moongate to Minoc.

uviib00560.png

u7LordBritish.png
I do not recall this case. Let me check... Hmmm... Imprisoned for the theft of one apple from the Royal Orchards... Ludicrous! Someone must have usurped mine authority. Thou mayest consider this man pardoned. An investigation will commence immediately into the circumstances surrounding his arrest, and into this fellow, Figg. My thanks to thee, Avatar.

Sweet! I did another good deed. I will travel to Minoc next time.

Silellak

Cipher
Huzzah! I just discovered this thread was stealthily updated!

Why have you not-yet retrieved the Hoe of Destruction or the Magic Carpet? Chop chop!

Bump.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I can never understand why Shamino's nick name given from his wife is ...'shit head'

Elzair

Cipher
Sorry for not updating this LP. I have been busy and my Photobucket account is full. I just need to move all the photos from my Oblivion LP to my other account, and that should free up enough space.

Elzair

Cipher
Ultima VII Part 7: Chasing Abraham

Part 7: Chasing Abraham

As you may notice, I started using Exult about this point. While the original game is certainly playable, the Exult interface is more polished and snappy.

Last time we explored Britain and learned that Elizabeth and Abraham had gone to Paws. Let's go after them . . .

uviic00006.png

. . . but first let's get something to eat. I can get free meals at thecastle around 6AM and 6PM.

uviic00004.png

Now that we're full, let's go on a crime spree!

uviic00007.png

Powderkegs are always handy.

uviic00012.png

Just your basic smash'n'grab.

uviic00013.png

Let's go rob some houses!

uviic00014.png

I wonder what this is?

uviic00015.png

I guess racism is present even in fantasy land.

uviic00016.png

I went back to Paws to rifle through Morfin's (the drug dealer's) belongings.

uviic00017.png

The key opens this chest in his shop.

uviic00018.png

Hello, yellow jackpot!

uviic00019.png

I wonder if this powder keg will blow open the door keeping me from my Hoe of Destruction?

uviic00020.png

Blast!

uviic00021.png

Well, it looks like I need to equip the little bastard better.

uviic00022.png

This should do the trick. Of course, the bolts will eat me out of house and home.

uviic00023.png

Selling Morfin's gold should do the trick!

Alright, now I'm bored with crime. Let's go join a cult!

uviic00008.png

u7MaleAvatar.png

Yes.

u7Batlin.png
These questions are all hypothetical. Do not let them confuse or upset thee. Question One: Thou art feeling depressed right now. Is it most likely because A: Thou hast disapointed a friend, or B: A friend has disappointed thee?

u7MaleAvatar.png
A friend has disappointed me.

u7Batlin.png
I can tell from thine answer thou art a person who tends to trust people and is often willing to give people another chance - even after ample demonstration that they are not worthy of one Batlin smiles and nods.

u7Batlin.png
Question Two: Thou art at a feast hosted by a very high-ranking local official. Thou dost believe the food he has ordered to be served is little more than swill, and thou dost notice that the other guests certainly think so. When thine host asks if thou dost like the food, dost thou A: tell the truth, or B: lie to him?

u7MaleAvatar.png
A: If the food sucks, say so.

u7Batlin.png
Thy response shows tho art a blunt honest person, who mayest occasionally say things that people may not like hearing, but thine intentions are noble ones. Batlin makes a sweeping gesture with his hand.

u7Batlin.png
Question Three: Thou hast taken the last room available at an inn. Upon entering it thou dost find that it is filthy. It is the middle of the night, there is no one to clean it and there is nowhere else to stay. Dost thou A: clean up the room thyself, at least somewhat, before reposing in it, or B: dost thou just go to sleep, letting the room remain as thou hast found it?

u7MaleAvatar.png
B: Pfft! I'm a slob, so I just go to sleep.

u7Batlin.png
Thou hast revealed that hou art a person who tends to accept their fate complacently whenever life appears to be unfair. Thou dost naturally assume that life will be unkind as a protection against when it is. *sigh*

u7Batlin.png
Question Four: At a festive gathering thou dost tell a humorous anecdote, and thou dost tell it very well, creating much amusement. Didst thou tell this comedic story because A: thou didst enjoy the respones that hou didst receive from thine audience, or B: because thou didst want to please thy friends?

u7MaleAvatar.png
A: I like to make people life.

u7Batlin.png
Thine answer shows that thou art a person who instinctively sees friend as tools to be used for thine own gratification. *slight frown*

u7Batlin.png
Question Five If thou wert to become a person of leisure, one who had amassed a fantastic fortune of wealth, would it most likely be because A: thou hadst discovered an infallible method of stealing the money of others, or B: thou hadst discovered an infallible method of illicitly duplicating the coin of the realm?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Since False Coin isn't in this game, I choose A.

u7Batlin.png
From Question Five we learn that hou art a person who instinctively believes that they are incapable of success, someone who feels that they can only profit through the exploitation of others. *shakes head*

u7Batlin.png
Question Six: While travelling thou dost find a man in terrible pain. His arm has been grievously injured. A healer tending to him tells thee that the man's arm will have to be removed and that he will require thine assistance to do it. The man says he will recover from his injury and asks thee not to let the healer amputate his arm. Dost thou A: heed the words of the healer, or B: respect the wishes of the injured man?

u7MaleAvatar.png
A: Off with his arm!

u7Batlin.png
By thine anwer thou art aperson who belives in mercy even when it is not an easy thing, and a person who tries to have the courage of thy convictions. *knowing look*

u7Batlin.png
Question Seven: Thou hast just killed a small dog by throwing a rock at it. Is it more likely that thou hast done this because A: the dog was going to attacke thee, or B: the dog was going to attack someone else?

u7MaleAvatar.png
B: Cuz I'm a badass that way.

u7Batlin.png
This question tells is that thou art an overly agressive person. Thou dost need to stop trying to solve all of thy problems through violence. *strokes chin*

u7Batlin.png
Question Eight: Thou art in a boat with thy betrothed and thy mother. The boat capsizes. In the choppy waters thou canst only save thyself and one other person. Who dost thou save from drowning, A: thy betrothed, or B: thy mother?

u7MaleAvatar.png
B: Mommy.

u7Batlin.png
While risking thy life to save the life of thy mother is admirable, I cannot help but wonder if thou mightest have a problem getting along with the opposite gender as thou wouldst simply let thy betrothed drown. *shrug*

u7Batlin.png
Thou art a person of strong characetr, Avatar, but one who is troubled by deep personal problems that prevent thee from achieving thy true potential for greatness. In short, thou art precisely the type of personfor which The Fellowship was created.

Gee, it is odd that the questions are designed in such a way that, no matter what you choose, you look fucked-up and in need of help. I wonder if it is intentional?

u7Batlin.png
I welcome thee to our fold. Know that the path of the Triad is not an easy one but its rewards are bountiful. I will, of course, waive the usual sabbatical of study that is required before one achieves membership. Thou art, afterall, the Avatar. However, as one of our tenets prescribes, Worthiness Precedes Reward. Thou must embark on a task or two for The Fellowship before thou can be properly inducted and receive thy medallion. I need thee to deliver this dealed package unopened to Elynor, the leader of our Fellowship branch in Minoc. Elynor will reward thee upon receiving it, thou dost have my word. May I trust thee to do it?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Sure.

u7Batlin.png
Excellent! Here it is. Thou must now be on thy way!

uviic00027.png

Since we have enough gold, for now, let's see if there is anything around with a nonmonetary value.

uviic00028.png

These stones will be very handy when I can cast Mark and Recall. As it is, I head for the nearby Moongate.

uviic00029.png

Toto, I don't think we're in Britain anymore.

uviic00031.png

I wonder what is in this cave.

uviic00032.png

Monsters; that is what!

uviic00034.png

This unfriendly soul will be useful later.

uviic00035.png

I loot the offices of the Britannian Mining Company.

uviic00036.png

The key unlocks a chest containing a shitload of Serpent Venom.

uviic00043.png

It seems like everybody is gathered at the mill. I wonder why.

uviic00046.png

Oh, look! It is Julia the tinker. She is as useless and always, and I am still pissed of about having to make those damn panpipes, so I leave her behind.

uviic00047.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Burnside.png
Burnside is my name.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Burnside.png
I am Mayor of Minoc and have been lo these past twenty years and more.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about Minoc.

u7Burnside.png
I beseech thee, Avatar, do show some respect for the two poor souls who have been found murdered there in William's sawmill. Apart from this business of the murders we are a town run by commerce. Gold runs this town. As goes the money, so goes Minoc. Take this monument affair, for instance.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Murders?!

u7Burnside.png
As Frederico and Tania were not actually residents of Minoc there is little I can do as Mayor other than increase the town guard. The investigation falls somewhat beyond my jurisdiction. It would appear the killer or killers were from out of town and are probably long gone by now. Thank goodness.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Gypsies, eh? What about this monument business?

u7Burnside.png
I am sure thou art aware of the plans for a monument of Owen, the shipwright. He is paying for it himself. I am usually against such public vanity but The Fellowship is very much in favor of it.

u7MaleAvatar.png
I see you are wearing a Fellowship medallion.

u7Burnside.png
Yes, I wear the Fellowship medallion, given to me by Elynor. Do not worry thyself. I shall not try to make thee join! *laugh*

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who is Elynor?

u7Burnside.png
The Fellowship could bring much money into Minoc. It would be wonderful for trade. I could never let my personal feelings get in the way of the good of this town.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Is that why you became a member?

u7Burnside.png
I was given an honorary membership when the Fellowship branch was first opened in Minoc. I do not attend regular meetings. I hope thou'rt not disappointed in me?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Not at all.

u7Burnside.png
Thank heaven! I wear this medallion mainly for ceremonial purposes, as I suspect thou dost. We both see that support of The Fellowship is currently the wisest course of action politically, no matter our personal feelings.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What are your feelings

u7Burnside.png
Avatar, may I tell thee a secret?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Sure.

u7Burnside.png
Avatar, I must confess to thee that I feel The Fellowship promotes a philosophy that is dubious at best, and its membership seems to be comprised chiefly of fools and emotional weaklings.

Ya think?!

uviic00052.png

Maybe this guy can shed more light on these murders.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7William.png
I am called William, Avatar.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7William.png
I work in the sawmill here in Minoc.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about the sawmill.

u7William.png
What a ludicrous question at a time like this! Why, I have just been given the fright of my life when I entered my sawmill and saw those two who have not only been killed quite dead, but torn apart nearly beyond recognition!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about the murders.

u7William.png
I found the bodies first thing this morning when I went to open the sawmill. It took all of the discipline I have gained from the Triad of Inner Strength and the teachings of The Fellowship to keep from going mad at the sight of it. It must have happened sometime last night but I swear to thee I never heard a thing!

It looks like I need to investigate this.

uviic00053.png

Gruesome!

uviic00054.png

BTW, I wonder where the serpentine dagger and candelabra come from?

Well, since Minoc is the home of the Artist Guild, I might as well ask about candelabras.

uviic00067.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
Hello, gorgeous! What's your name?

u7Xanthia.png
Hello, my name is Xanthia.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who --er-- what are you currently doing?

u7Xanthia.png
I am a member of the Artist's Guild in Minoc. I make and sell candelabras.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Did you make the candelabra at the murder scene?

uviic00068.png

u7Xanthia.png
'Twas in the sawmill at the murder site? How horrible! I swear I do not know how it could have gotten there! Thou shouldst certainly ask Elynor about it!

I do so.

uviic00048.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Elynor.png
I am Elynor.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Elynor.png
I am the head counselor of the Fellowship branch here in Minoc. We are a society of spiritual seekers, dedicated to achieving our highest potential, advancing worthiness, unity and trust in our brothers.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about Minoc.

u7Elynor.png
Thou hast picked a most inappropriate time to engage in such casual conversation. Perhaps thou wouldst be interested knowing that there have been two murders discovered in this sawmill!

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you know of the murders?

u7Elynor.png
I am saddened at the loss of life but cannot say I am surprised. Frederico and Tania were antagonistic people. The same may be said of most gypsies. I have nothing against them personally, of course.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Of course. Why were they antagonistic?

u7Elynor.png
Frederico and Tania treated all members of our Fellowship as if we were diseased. Frederico particularly would often bully our members. Thou dost know, it is common knowledge that we are pacifists. He had a reputation for cruelty, even among his own people. It is not surprising he came to a violent end.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Is that candelabra yours?

u7Elynor.png
Yes, The Fellowship commissioned Xanthia to create a candelabra which thou dost describe. Its design incorporates our three tenets: 'U' for Unity, 'T' for Trust, and 'W' for Worthiness.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Then why was it found at the murder site?

u7Elynor.png
I cannot imagine why it was there. Someone must be trying to implicate The Fellowship! Hmm. If thou didst ask it of me, I would wager that Frederico and Tania were murdered by their own people, and another gypsy placed the candelabra at the site to implicate us. Those gypsies would kill their own mother if it meant gaining a bit of gold!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Have you seen Elizabeth and Abraham?

u7Elynor.png
Thou hast just missed them! They were here collecting funds. They have moved on to Paws to visit our Shelter there.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Tell me about this Owen fellow?

u7Elynor.png
He is a classic example of The Fellowship making a vast difference in a person's life. Before he joined The Fellowship, he was without confidence and ready to put aside his trade. Now he stands on the verge of being recognized as the finest at his craft in the world.

uviic00049.png

Before I hand the package over, I wonder what is inside?

uviic00050.png

This keeps getting curiouser and curiouser. I wonder what the cube, sphere and tetrahedron are for? I guess I will find out.

u7MaleAvatar.png
BTW, Batlin asked me to deliver a package to you.

uviic00051.png

u7Elynor.png
Thou knowest well that thou wert instructed to deliver the package unopened. As a Fellowship member, thou dost understand that we must be worthy of the rewards we seek. As thou hast violated Batlin's trust, any payment is forfeited. He will be informed of this indiscretion, and he will not be pleased.

uviic00058.png

I decide to do a little mine-cleaning.

uviic00059.png

uviic00061.png

uviic00062.png

Haha . . .

uviic00070.png

I have no idea where I got this.

uviic00072.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
Hey, Pirate Peat! You know a Hook?

u7Rutherford.png
I know him! He be a pirate who lives in Buccaneer's Den. They say Hook is so mean he'd kill his own mudder for the right price, an' I would wager they's right.Why, I got into a fight with this Hook once. I was lucky and I escaped losin' only my right arm and still with one good eye left. It was somewhere around that time that I started having second thoughts about my career as a pirate and now here I be. I have not seen him recently, but the description of the murder scene certainly sounds like his handiwork!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Have you seen the Crown Jewel lately?

uviic00073.png

Hmm indeed.

uviic00074.png

I destroy a chest to get the magic arrows and other loot out of it.

uviic00075.png

Old
Number
One

uviic00076.png

This belongs to the Britannian Mining Company. Let's get ready to RRRRRUMBLE!!!!

uviic00077.png

uviic00078.png

uviic00079.png

Huh?

uviic00081.png

I need to learn Magic Unlock to bypass this door.

uviic00082.png

Nice! I wonder how much XP I've got.

uviic00083.png

uviic00084.png

Kick ass! I now can cast fifth circle spells.

uviic00085.png

This is the (in)famous Owen.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Owen.png
My name, Avatar, is Owen. It is a name I suspect thou shalt be hearing more of in the future.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you do?

u7Owen.png
I am, the greatest shipwright in the history of Minoc. I am the greatest shipwright who has ever lived!

Okay, this guy is a prick. Let's see if we can take him down a notch.

uviic00087.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
What do you think of the monument?

u7Karl.png
Owen, the shipwright, dost deserve to have a monument built to him. It
should be in the shape of a gallows and it should have him hanging from it.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Why?

u7Karl.png
My brother - mine only family in the world - served aboard a ship built by Owen. The ship was one of several that sank three years ago during the first storm it ever encountered. My brother went down with it and was never seen again.

u7MaleAvatar.png
How did Owen react?

u7Karl.png
I confronted Owen with this and he denied that it had anything to do with his workmanship. I returned that night and stole the plans he had drafted, so at least no other ships would ever be built like them again. But it left me so angry at the world that I knew I could not live among people ever again. I went away to live up in the mountains. The only times I ever come back are to fetch a few supplies and maybe have a drink of Rutherford's fine ale once in a while.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Were any other ships built?

u7Karl.png
Three other ships that were built from Owen's basic designs all sunk within the first year of their launch. Over a dozen lives were lost due to that vainglorious bastard!

u7MaleAvatar.png
May I see the plans?

u7Karl.png
I still have those plans up in my cabin. Every once in a while I try to figure them out. I suspect no one in town, save for Owen himself, could understand them. Maybe Julia, the tinker, would be able to shed some light on them. But she would never listen to an old mountain man like me.

uviic00088.png

I go there.

uviic00089.png

Here they are. I take the plans to Julia.

uviic00091.png

u7Julia.png
Ships built to these specifications will easily capsize and sink. Thou shouldst show these plans to the Mayor.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Mr. Burnsides, you should take a look at Owen's shipwright 'prowess'.

uviic00092.png

u7Burnside.png
This is terrible! No one must see this! It would ruin Owen and cause irreparable damage to our town if it became known that our shipwright caused those deaths!

u7MaleAvatar.png
It has already damaged a lot more than that!

u7Burnside.png
But very few suspect the deaths are attributable to Owen's shipbuilding! We can destroy the plans and the truth would never get out! It would save the town from disgrace and possible ruin!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Are you just going to ignore the deaths?

u7Burnside.png
Then again, the ships Owen builds will continue to sink. It would harm Minoc even more if it were to become known as the place where the death ships are made. A town that built a monument to an incompetent.

u7MaleAvatar.png
You have to cancel the statue.

u7Burnside.png
There are no two ways about it. The statue must be stopped. I am hereby cancelling the erection of the statue.

I go to inform Owen of the bad news.

u7Owen.png
Apparently, building the greatest ships to ever set sail in history and all that that has done for Minoc are no longer enough! No! Thanks to that pompous idiot of a mayor I am denied the rightful tribute of which I have proven myself more than worthy. Design flaws, bah! How many ships has Mayor Burnside built in his miserable little life?!

u7MaleAvatar.png
Owen, there were deaths.

uviic00093.png

u7Owen.png
I have no idea how it could have happened. It is difficult to conceive of the pain such great loss of life brings into this world. But I did my best when I built those ships. I did not want those men to die. Thou must believe me. The tribute to me is now no more than a tombstone.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What tribute?

u7Owen.png
I know! My work will stand as my monument! My name will endure long after any statue has worn away to dust! People will remember -me-, I promise thee that!

uviic00094.png

uviic00095.png

uviic00096.png

uviic00097.png

Well, good riddance to bad rubbish, I say! Let's go get my fortune told like Chuckles suggested.

uviic00038.png

u7MaleAvatar.png
Who are you?

u7Margareta.png
Margareta at thy service.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is your job?

u7Margareta.png
To tell thy destiny.

u7MaleAvatar.png
What is my destiny?

u7Margareta.png
The fortune vill cost thee 20 gold. All right?

u7MaleAvatar.png
Is this another conjob like in Ultima VI? Fine, I'll play along.

The gypsy woman peers into her crystal ball.

u7Margareta.png
I see a voman standing by a shrine. She is in love vith thee. I do not see more on this subject.

u7MaleAvatar.png
Thank god for that! We have to keep this PG-13.

u7Margareta.png
Hmmm... The crystal ball is very murky...

u7MaleAvatar.png
If you're about to ask for more money . . .

u7Margareta.png
I see that thou must join The Fellowship if thou vantest to learn more about them and discover their true nature.

u7Margareta.png
It is not very clear... ah, yes... there is a new evil that threatens Britannia. I see that thou shalt have to reckon vith it in the future.

u7Margareta.png
The crystal ball tells me that the ether ov the vorld -- the substance that controls magic -- has been affected by this new evil presence.

u7Margareta.png
I see further that this evil presence vill gain greater power during an event in the near future. This event has something to do vith the planets. Seek out a man at the observatory in Moonglow to learn more about this. I see that he has a device which will be very useful to thee. See him soon, for this event is drawing near.

u7Margareta.png
Vhat is this? I see... I see... thou dost seek a Man vith a Hook. He is not thy true adversary, but finding him vill be necessary to complete thine ultimate quest.

u7Margareta.png
Vait! I see that thou must seek audience vith the Time Lord. He is in trouble, although I cannot see vhat that trouble is. The Time Lord knows much about this new evil, so do not fail to seek him out.

u7Margareta.png
To find the Time Lord, thou must first meet the Visps who live in the forest ov Yew. They are thy best link to him. The monks ov Empath Abbey may know how to contact the Visps.

u7Margareta.png
The ball has grown dark. I see no more.

u7Margareta.png
Thou dost face many dangers ahead. Take care.

With those words, Margareta slumps and closes her eyes to rest. She is obviously exhausted.

So am I. See you next time.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Re: Ultima VII Part 7: Chasing Elizabeth

Owen's suicide sure is overdramatic. And the question game is seriously weird, I didn't remember that. "Thou hast just killed a small dog by throwing a rock at it," lol.

Elzair said:
u7Batlin.png
Question Eight: Thou art in a boat with thy betrothed and thy mother. The boat capsizes. In the choppy waters thou canst only save thyself and one other person. Who dost thou save from drowning, A: thy betrothed, or B: thy mother?

u7MaleAvatar.png
B: Mommy.

:D

Elzair said:
u7Elynor.png
Thou knowest well that thou wert instructed to deliver the package unopened. As a Fellowship member, thou dost understand that we must be worthy of the rewards we seek. As thou hast violated Batlin's trust, any payment is forfeited. He will be informed of this indiscretion, and he will not be pleased.

:thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom