Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play: W40K: Rites of War (Ultimate Victory)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Ah, fuck it, uploaded to a second account after all :rpgcodex:

Mission VII - Legacy of Armour

Soundtrack: 0:00 - 4:10

row0852.jpg

row0853.jpg

Lotsa sites on this map.

row0854.jpg

row0856.jpg

First objective.

row0858.jpg

Second objective. Those gun batteries are p. cool.

row0860.jpg

row0862.jpg

Clanging like some great bell.

row0864.jpg

Third objective.

row0867.jpg

Right after starting we detect multiple hostiles around our position.

row0868.jpg

They immediately rush us after we fall into position. A leman russ attacks the dire avengers.

row0869.jpg

While jump marines assault scorpions.

row0870.jpg

Doesn't seem like there's a whole lotta dudes here.

row0872.jpg

But there are more just down the road.

row0873.jpg

Holy moley.

row0877.jpg

Other dragons, aided by scatter lazer, take down the jump marines, while warlock drops an executioner on the guardsmen.

row0880.jpg

Some more brawling sends the marines and guardsmen running. Vyper almost kills the tactical squad, but it survives with 1 man standing.

row0882.jpg

Byeeeeee :smug:

row0884.jpg

Scouts crash and burn trying to attack scorpions.

row0885.jpg

And jump marines swap many wounds with dire avengers.

MEANWHILE...

row0886.jpg

row0887.jpg

Great, two librarians.

row0888.jpg

Also, a leman russ fires upon some scorpions.

row0889.jpg

Overview of the current battlefield.

row0890.jpg

Let's see what happens here.

row0892.jpg

The sword ripping into the leman russ is the executioner ability from the warlock. It's very useful because it does big damage and is also armour piercing. Here, it takes down 6 of its HP.

row0893.jpg

Which lets the harlequins move in and cause it to break!

row0895.jpg

These dudes refuse to die :argh:

row0896.jpg

Scouts are real suckers though.

row0899.jpg

Scorpions and dragons massacre the guardsmen. Lazer will finish off the 4hp squad in a moment.

row0900.jpg

The vypers finish the fight with the muhrines. It's not common for them to do domoges this big.

row0902.jpg

In the next turn, scouts and jump marines (1, 2) attack our battered scorpions leaving them at barely 1 hp. If that's not divine intervention, I don't know what it is. Also, guardsmen launch a suicide attack against vypers (3).

row0905.jpg

Here's what happens afterwards. It's mostly mopping up suckers, so there's not much sense in going into detail.

row0920.jpg

Only one squad of jump marines and scouts are (barely) left alive. Devastators come from the edge of the screen and tear through the dire avengers.

row0921.jpg

While scouts decide it's a great idea to attack scorpions next to fire dragons.

row0922.jpg

The jump marines have a similar bright idea.

row0931.jpg

We get rid of the remnants of the opposition during the next turn.

row0932.jpg

But wait, there's more!

row0937.jpg

And they die like the rest.

row0938.jpg

More still.

row0944.jpg

Devastators fall before the warlock's witchblade. Scouts are on the run from the vypers.

row0945.jpg

More opposition.

row0946.jpg

The scouts may be broken, but they don't give up. Doesn't do them much good, as they die in the next turn.

row0948.jpg

Hawks investigate this farmhouse, but find nothing.

row0949.jpg

And more spehs marines.

Fortunately, they are not angry marines, so we don't risk Battle Barge MAXIMUM FUCK crashing into us while we're mobbed.

Very well, let us attack those two forts one at a time.

row0950.jpg

We fall into position, and the marines don't keep us waiting.

row0951.jpg

CHAAAAAAAARGE!

row0954.jpg

We begin be eliminating the tactical muhrines with vypers, harlequins and avengers.

row0957.jpg

Then drop an anvil on the whirlwind :smug:

row0958.jpg

The once proud Imperial warmachine, now but a pile of wreckage.

row0959.jpg

We take the control point.

row0962.jpg

And kill the fortress's last defenders.

row0963.jpg

Hawks move southward to the other farmhouse but also find nothing.

row0964.jpg

After taking a few turns to fully rest, we fall into position and prepare for the second assault.

row0965.jpg

Again, the dumb spehs marines fall into our trap, and their tactical squad is fried by fire dragons.

row0966.jpg

Looks easy enough.

row0967.jpg

Scorpions being by using the warp skein to get behind enemy lines and rip through the marines.

row0970.jpg

Then it's good night for those at the bridge.

row0973.jpg

Finally other scorpions and 2x dragons kick the librarian around like a little girl.

row0974.jpg

More enemies spotted at the third objective.

row0979.jpg

We also fully claim the fortress.

row0980.jpg

Harlequins going from the south spot another devastator squad.

row0981.jpg

And I send the hawks to take a final look at the enemy's positions. They should be perfectly safe in those mountains, eh?

No.

row0983.jpg

First the Librarian uses some tornado-like thingy on them, then a whirlwind moves in with the wrath of the Emperor.

row0984.jpg

This thing is incredibly mean.

row0986.jpg

The scorpions make a valiant breakthrough to try to save their brethren from certain doom, but they can't reach the whirlwind.

row0987.jpg

The whirlwind fires another salvo... and the hawks survive with 1 hp. ITZ A MIRACLE. Thank goodness the Librarian decided to go take a piss in the woods instead of dropping a nuke on the hawks' arses or something.

We evacuate the hawks asap.

row0989.jpg

Southern detachment approaches the smaller factory.

row0990.jpg

Boom.

row0991.jpg

row0993.jpg

Let's fry the bastards.

row0994.jpg

The warlock's executioner is also accompanied by a p. cool sinister laugh. It kills the marines.

row0995.jpg

Boom again.

row1000.jpg

Our southern bros kill the devastators (screenshot number 1000 :bounce:)

row1001.jpg

Our dudes are attacked by the Imperials, but we will counterattack in just a moment.

row1004.jpg

Gotta dispose of all these marines.

row1007.jpg

Bye bye.

row1008.jpg

Ouch! A quick executioner from the warlock finishes it off.

row1011.jpg

The remaining tacticals pose a bit more resistance.

row1012.jpg

Let's check what's in here.

row1013.jpg

row1014.jpg

That's cool, I guess.

row1015.jpg

Osnap, the librarian drops a lightning arc on the warlock, dropping him to 6 hp. Fortunately, the lightning arc has a fixed damage (of 16, I think?), unlike the executioner which is equal to the warlock's melee rating (more than 16).

row1016.jpg

The marines are first to fall.

row1019.jpg

Then the warlock shows the puny human the superiority of an Eldar mind.

row1020.jpg

The factory is ours!

row1021.jpg

Victoly!

row1022.jpg

row1023.jpg

row1024.jpg

Right, I check the barracks, and it turns out Azira was right. The guardians can now be upgraded to howling banshees, which was not possible before. But we shall not upgrade them, no, we'll wait till we can upgrade them to warp spiders :M

Also, new stuff:

row1025.jpg

Falcons are kinda like vypers with better everything and (slightly) less movement. They also have pop-up attack ability, but additionally, they get armour piercing, so I guess I'll kick the vypers to the barracks and get a falcon.

row1027.jpg

Howling banshees are melee units with better damage but worse defence than striking scorpions. They have the power of stunning strike, stunning the enemy with the size of their tits, making them counterattack at only half strength.

I guess we already have enough melee troops, so I'll skip them. I could kick one scorpion squad to the barracks, but leveling the banshees from scratch might be difficult.

row1028.jpg

Last is the vibro cannon. A strange little device, it has the unique ability of seismic attack. The vibro cannon ignores any terrain bonuses for defence the target might have, gains +2 attack against units with tank movement and +3 attack when firing at cities, structures, mountains and volcanoes. Seismic attacks have no effects against flying units.

I suppose I could swap the scatter laser for a vibro cannon just for the hell of it. Which is better and why? DISCUSS!!!!

Also, next mission is one of the best ones in the game. We're very likely to get our arses kicked severely, so stay tuned :M

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Vibro cannon should be really useful next mission.

And good job on getting the new account.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
A long update incoming. There will be blood.

Mission VIII - A Moment Too Soon

Soundtrack

row1030.jpg

row1031.jpg

Out of some bizarre reason, the screenshot of the map didn't quite come out as it should have, don't ask me why.

row1032.jpg

row1034.jpg

row1036.jpg

row1038.jpg

One objective.

row1040.jpg

And this night's main attraction.

row1044.jpg

First enemy forces.

row1045.jpg

row1046.jpg

Great...

row1047.jpg

Hawks find a lone scout squad to the west of our starting position. They will keep harrassing them to death, since we don't want our dropship stealth capped.

row1048.jpg

Harlequins check this cathedral but find nothing inside.

row1049.jpg

Meanwhile, we get rid of those kamikaze scouts.

row1050.jpg

And fall into position. We shall keep advancing like this, one tile a turn because we can expect heavy opposition.

row1051.jpg

And indeed, a new enemy type comes out to greet us.

row1052.jpg

Terminator assault squad. Those motherfuckers are monsters in melee. As all terminators, they have excellent defence, damage and the 'Leader' ability. But assault termies also get 'Armour Piercing', making them tough hunter-killers against our vehicles, and 'Lightning Field' which gives them additional +3 defence and attack in melee.

row1053.jpg

Hawks keep bugging the scouts.

We keep advancing and spot more enemies on both critical locations.

row1055.jpg

row1057.jpg

row1059.jpg

The Imperials launch an attack! Leman Russ softens the striking scorpions.

row1060.jpg

OMGWTFBBQ WHAT IS THAT. It also fires upon the scorpions, breaking their morale. That's not good at all.

row1061.jpg

The scorpions are under heavy assault. They are most likely doomed...

row1062.jpg

More assault marines launch a kamikaze attack against avengers.

row1063.jpg

While an assault squad finishes off the broken scorpions...

row1064.jpg

:salute:

The striking scorpions are our second casualty in the campaign. This squad was also the one with the warp skein and most XP :x

But there will be time for grievances later.

row1065.jpg

The Imperials are not done yet.

row1067.jpg

Now what the hell is this shit.

row1068.jpg

A land raider. The ultimate Space Marine tank. But actually, I think it's inferior to the Leman Russ. Sure, it has a slightly better attack and defence and retains the Armour Piercing ability, but unlike the leman russ, it doesn't have Explosive, which makes it a lot less effective against squads. Nonetheless, they cannot be underestimated, as they still pack a punch and take a bit of effort to bring down.

row1069.jpg

Also, we've now entered the stage where certain enemy squads will appear with 'artifacts' of their own.

row1070.jpg

Let's get the bastards! FOR CODEXIA!

row1073.jpg

After disposing of the near-dead jump marines, I drop an executioner on the land raider, taking it down to just 5 HP.

row1074.jpg

Harlequins get rid of the termies.

row1076.jpg

Dragons force the raider to break, then batter the lemon bus.

row1078.jpg

Fucking thing refuses to die :rage:

row1079.jpg

And we can't allow it to reinforce next turn. Craven cowardice it is.

row1081.jpg

The humans don't give up despite heavy casualties. The Leman Russ blows up some scorpions

row1082.jpg

Jump marines try to attack another scorpion squad.

row1083.jpg

And an offscreen assault squad charges to get 4 bros cut down.

row1084.jpg

Next turn, shoopin' hoax finally kill the scouts, and can now rejoin with our main force.

row1085.jpg

Warlock and avengers (2, 3) put down them jump marines, falcon (1) keeps shooting guardsmen with no real success, Leman Russ and an offscreen missile team (4, 5) target scorpions.

row1091.jpg

Both our scorpion squads are pretty battered and forced to retreat. We cannot allow to lose another melee squad.

The rest are ready an able, so let's show these humans what we can do.

row1092.jpg

The scatter laser's 3-hex range makes it great for harassing tough enemies.

row1095.jpg

Missile team is forced to retreat.

row1096.jpg

The sinister laugh accompanying the executioner is great :D

row1097.jpg

Not the best damage, but it forces the tank to retreat and skip next turn. Good enough for me.

row1098.jpg

Leman russ and assault squad attack avengers. Also, as you can see, the missile team is back to full hp despite the 8 kills inflicted by harlequins. This whole city counts as a structure where resting reinforces both wounds and kills, which considerably decreases the harlequins' hit'n'run efficiency.

Also, thank goodness the troops at the spire seem to have it hard-coded to not leave their position. If they tried flanking us, we'd be in trouble.

row1103.jpg

Next turn, we fall into a defensive position (and pester the guardsmen a bit). Attacking now, in the vicinity of 2 leman russes, a missile team, assault termies and devastators would be VERY unwise. Let them come to us instead.

row1104.jpg

And come to us they did. Avengers suffer heavy losses, but it's nothing a turn of resting won't fix.

row1107.jpg

Let us show them the wrath of Craftworld Codexia.

Warlock, scorpions and dragons whack down the leman russ. Other dragons and scorpions whack down the other leman russ. Falcon and harles keep chasing the immortal assault squad.

row1110.jpg

Dragons doing their job. Scorpions finish off the tank soon after :incline:

row1113.jpg

The other doesn't give up that easily though.

row1117.jpg

I spy the evil peoples!

row1118.jpg

We retreat and regroup again.

row1119.jpg

Avengers are again under fire.

row1121.jpg

And we crush the guardsmen and leman russ, far from the reach of their comrades.

Masterful tactics!

row1128.jpg

More incoming.

row1131.jpg

Next turn we crush the termies and one assault squad. The other guardsmen flee for their lives.

row1138.jpg

Also: devastators hate falcons.

row1143.jpg

The marines die next turn.

row1144.jpg

While their battlebros come trying to avenge them.

row1150.jpg

And almost hit the dirt next turn. Almost.

row1151.jpg

row1152.jpg

Good that there's nothing else to bumrush the scorpions or there'd be trouble.

row1153.jpg

High time for some carnage.

row1156.jpg

The city hexes give the already tough marines big defensive bonuses, which makes it a bit tricky.

row1157.jpg

But scorpions care none for those :incline: quick executioner takes these fools down.

row1162.jpg

All the others refuse to budge despite our overwhelming assault.

row1163.jpg

The enemy's next turn is spent running away, so we capitalise on it with another assault.

Devastators are taken down. The immortal guardsmen and spehs marines barely survive.

row1171.jpg

Seriously, just die already.

row1172.jpg

Derp.

row1173.jpg

The space marines from the spire finally wake up.

row1174.jpg

row1175.jpg

Harlequins check this town and find nothing. High-level harlequins have excellent movement, btw. When put on a road, they can cover half the map in a single turn.

row1176.jpg

They can't hope to withstand our advantage tbh.

row1185.jpg

Everybody dead. I like that.

row1186.jpg

And more of them come to join the fun.

row1187.jpg

These fucking guardsmen just outright refuse to die.

row1195.jpg

Next turn we finally get rid of them, though. Same with the incoming marines.

row1196.jpg

Pretty explosions and stuffies.

nya.

row1202.jpg

Bye bye, Conan the Librarian.

row1207.jpg

Cool.

row1208.jpg

Meet the wraithguard. Those bros are glass cannons. Their defence is pretty meh, but don't get fooled by their seemingly low attack rate. Wraithguards have the 'Distortion' special ability, which makes their guns fire a rift in the warp itself, sucking stuff straight into it. This leaves their targets at 1/2 defence, and all wounds become kills. Pretty fucking deadly stuff, really.

row1210.jpg

The last enemy forces.

row1211.jpg

Come get some!

row1214.jpg

So long, space marines.

row1215.jpg

For some strange reason, they seem to think that coming one-by-one is a great idea.

row1219.jpg

Hawks check this comm station but find nothing.

row1220.jpg

Falcon gives the space bros the Emperor's peace.

row1222.jpg

Then we force the termies to retreat

row1226.jpg

Fire dragons almost instagib the whirlwind

row1227.jpg

And the deed is finished by the wraithguard.

row1228.jpg

Termies die to support fire.

row1229.jpg

And the spire is ours!

row1230.jpg

Cool.

row1231.jpg

row1232.jpg

row1233.jpg

There's a new strategy available, which I take without hesitation. Insane Courage is pretty much a panic button. It instantly reinforces a unit back to maximum strength, removes Broken status and gives a new move. It's a great 'get ouf of jail free' card when you suddenly find your unit at 2hp and surrounded by 3 enemies.

row1234.jpg

Also, while not stated when capturing the spire, we found an artifact there. I guess I'll leave the crucible with the wraithguard, it should make them a little less fragile. I also assign the warp skein to another scorpion squad.

row1235.jpg

And wait, what is this? The fire dragons and scorpions can advance?

row1236.jpg

Indeed, they can :smug:

Those aspect warriors that reach the 8th level of experience can upgrade to exarchs.

row1237.jpg

Exarchs are pretty much an improvement in every possible way. All their stats are better, and Single Entity means they are no longer affected by stuff like Lethal and Explosive.

row1238.jpg

row1239.jpg

row1240.jpg

And here's the new unit. Dark Reapers are pretty much an improvement over Fire Dragons. They have better defence and attack, only their initiative is lower. Just like Fire Dragons they have Armour Piercing, but they also get Explosive, which makes them great against infantry and warmachines alike.

However, I won't be getting Dark Reapers 'cause leveling them from scratch would be a bitch, and we'll get an exarch-level Dark Reaper squad from a mission later into the campaign.

Also, it seems we have a free slot in our army right now. We'll need good mobility for the next mission, so I'll call the vypers back from the barracks. We'll see if there'll be anything good to take instead of them after the scenario :M

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
IIRC, I lost a falcon, a scorpion and a warmachine on this level. Hardest map in the game imho, although I abandoned my playthrough before the end because of how easy it got once I had an all exarch team.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, sorry bros, this lp is on hold until I get my proper computor working 'cause the screens from the last update are stuck there, and it's a little hard to compile an update with no graphics card.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Great, got a cheap replacement card, at least I can access my stuff now.

Mission IX - Hot Gates

Fuck, I ran out of soundtracks. Guess you'll have to revisit the old ones or proceed without one :(

row1242.jpg

row1243.jpg

row1244.jpg

We won't be visiting this one 'cause I remember it doesn't have anything inside (even if it looks p. cool)

row1246.jpg

The whole canyon is strewn with these small forts. They are all empty of content, and share one of these two descriptions.

row1249.jpg

Cool.

row1251.jpg

And here's the exit of the canyon, where our enemy cowers in fear.

row1254.jpg

And here's how it starts. I think each of the forts has an autocannon on it. There will be many autocannons in the whole level.

Also, we have to do this quickly because we're limited to 18 turns, however we can't overrush, as that's suicide. This is actually a pretty tough mission 'cause you need many priorities that are a little mutually exlusive - speed, survival and force.

row1256.jpg

So yeah, we start by massacring this autocannon, and then fall into position.

row1257.jpg

Lotsa gits.

row1259.jpg

Don't have to wait long for them to start their offensive.

row1261.jpg

This narrow ravine really isn't good for the vypers. They are flimsy to begin with, but here they are super exposed.

row1263.jpg

We shall respond with FUREH.

row1264.jpg

Sayonara.

row1267.jpg

The fist of 1000 blades is so gud. The marines run away and there's nothing they can do about all these kills.

row1268.jpg

Aided by the dragons, the falcon destroys an autocannon.

row1273.jpg

And then it's time for the (already dead here) scouts and jump marines.

row1274.jpg

Next turn, autocannon opens fire on hawks

row1275.jpg

Marines almost suicide attacking the vyper, but still inflict some losses. Tough bastards they are.

row1276.jpg

Yay.

row1277.jpg

More stuff up ahead. The Falcon mows down the fleeing marine.

row1279.jpg

Vibro cannon destroys the autocannon (1), while the other autocannon shoots twice at the swooping hawks because, dumb as I am, I rested them instead of pulling out.

row1284.jpg

Autocannon shoots dire avengers, scouts rush the falcon.

row1285.jpg

Vyper and avengers wipe the floor with the sucky scouts, while warlock and fire dragons take down the autocannon. A shame the warlock's executioner doesn't make the kill table pop up. Makes tracking them a little harder.

row1293.jpg

Next turn, them assault guardsmen launch a near-suicide attack.

row1294.jpg

And scorpions help them die afterwards.

row1295.jpg

Let's get it on. Vibro cannon and wraithguard shoot the missile team, scorpion whacks the autocannon.

row1297.jpg

:smug:

row1298.jpg

And here's where a problem surfaced. I didn't expect the goddamn autocannon to get the scorpions down to 5 hp. And that's very, very bad, since there's a space marine and another missile team right there, plus another autocannon to the south. The scorpion exarch is tough, yeah, but I'm afraid it might not be tough enough to withstand those.

I wondered whether I should use insane courage here to save the scorpions, but didn't want to use it just yet.

So I sent the falcon to finish the missile team and draw some fire from the autocannons because, hell, the falcon is kinda tough and should endure shitty autocannon fire, eh?

Yeah, that was a very bad idea.

row1301.jpg

After I moved the falcon there, it turned out that a devastator squad I haven't spotted before was at the southern fort, and those autocannons actually pack a punch...

row1302.jpg

Well, at least it survived the deva...

row1303.jpg

:rage:

row1304.jpg

Casualty #3 :salute: The Falcon was sent to draw fire from the scorpion exarch and did a little too well. That was a stupid mistake. But fuck, those Eldar vehicles are almost all fucking useless anyway, their only advantage is the hovercraft mobility.

row1305.jpg

And here's how the next turn looks like.

Fire dragons, vibro cannon, warlock inflict many losses on the devastators, vyper nearly blows up the autocannon, Dragon exarch chases away the missile team, scorpion exarch uses the warp skein to get behind the autocannon and leave it at 1 hp, while harles, avengers and wraithguard kick around the space marines.

Showing it all off isn't particularly enlightening, so here's how the situation looks afterwards:

row1313.jpg

The marines are down to 6 after the wraithguard attack, and...

row1314.jpg

The western autocannon is down to 3.

But this bunch of dudes use their turn to get back to full strength again, but I didn't really have the troops to block their resting (plus, I didn't want to rush into massive non-spotted autocannon fire, like with the falcon).

row1315.jpg

Another autocannon pops up, shooting the vypers.

row1316.jpg

And marines shoot harlequins a bit.

row1317.jpg

Next turn, scorpion and avengers get rid of the marines and autocannon remnants. Warlock, vibro cannon, vyper and dragon smack down the devastators, while harles take the missile team down to 3 hp.

I also send the swooping hawks and the other harles south to the eerie Eldar grove.

row1325.jpg

The autocannons use this opportunity to fire three times upon the hawks, with no great success.

row1329.jpg

Then we finally finish the missile team and fall into position.

row1330.jpg

The autocannons take the avengers down to 3 hp. Good thing I had a warlock cast fortune on them before, or things might have got ugly...

row1338.jpg

The autocannons are disposed of.

row1339.jpg

Hawks check the grove.

row1340.jpg

Cool.

row1341.jpg

This will immediately go to one of the dire avenger squads after this mission. Lightning field, as shown before, gives +3 melee and defence, while terrifying makes attacked enemies twice as likely to break or flee. Good stuff.

row1342.jpg

Some clueless terminators rush striking scorpions and die to the warlock's executioner the next turn.

We keep advancing...

row1344.jpg

More adversaries. Autocannon attacks the avengers.

row1345.jpg

Another one shoots the scorpion exarch.

row1346.jpg

Uhm, fuck. We have barely 6 turns remaining to kill our target. We're gonna have to hurry.

row1347.jpg

This was a pretty fucking tricky situation. Because of the goddamn river, I can't advance my fire dragons close enough to target the autocannons or terminators. If I tried focusing *just* on the terminators, the autocannons and jump marines would have torn me a new one. If I took out only the autocannons, I wouldn't be able to use some troops because the terminators/jump marines would tear them to shreds, which meant they would have to sit out the turn, and with only 6 remaining, it was a big no-no. So I took a little gambit.

row1348.jpg

Wraithguard and vibro cannon take out the first autocannon

row1349.jpg

While harlequins take the second one down to 11 hp and break its morale.

row1350.jpg

Then I charged the termies with the scorpion, dumb that I was, before harrassing them first with the warlock and vypers.

This made the scorpion exarch go down to 1 hp. He got 7 wounds, while the terminators got only 4. Those fuckers are monsters.

row1353.jpg

Meanwhile, see here, executioner + vyper attack takes them down to 3. FFS masterful tactics indeed.

row1354.jpg

And it was exactly the moment we needed the insane courage panic button, and I was thankful I didn't use it previously. With 1 hp, assault termies, two autocannons and jump marines in the vicinity, the scorpion would have had no chance to live.

(also, the animation for insane courage is like reverse craven cowardice. In the latter, the heart shatters, while here it forms anew from scattered pieces)

row1355.jpg

And I used the additional attack to whack the autocannon.

row1356.jpg

Meanwhile, jump marines skirmish with harlequins.

row1357.jpg

And the terminators launch a suicide attack.

row1359.jpg

Next turn the autocannon is blown up, and jump marines chased away.

row1360.jpg

So I send the shoopin' hoax to scout ahead, and find the last human forces. Among them, a terminator devastator squad led by Lucretius, our target.

row1361.jpg

Terminator devastators are a little different from other devastator units, as they have no armour piercing. Just like all other termies, they have Leader, and additionally they get Rapid Fire, which makes them serve a role similar to autocannons. Dig in, and unleash massive firepower in consecutive salvoes.

row1363.jpg

Jump marines and autocannon start harrassing us.

row1365.jpg

Hawks almost take down the other marines.

row1366.jpg

Vypers and warlock (1, 2) take the jump marines down to 2 hp and force them to flee. Most of our stuff goes north, and the autocannon takes the opportunity to fire twice at the vypers, getting them down to 3hp. Close one.

By this point, I think we have like... 3/4 turns to complete the objective.

row1370.jpg

Boom.

row1371.jpg

Hey, look, more enemy guys. But we have no time to indulge them now.

row1372.jpg

Because of the fucking river, I had to spend a whole turn doing *nothing* to get my troops into positions to cross it. Meanwhile the librarian immobilises the hawks.

row1375.jpg

The southern space bros decide it's a good idea to start attacking.

row1376.jpg

And fortunately, the AI is completely oblivious to the fact, that it should keep its mission-critical unit a little behind to make it avoid harm.

row1377.jpg

So we exploit it without mercy, and focus fire on the terminator.

row1380.jpg

row1381.jpg

That should be enough to finish him off.

row1382.jpg

Might as well cover our asses first and pick off the autocannon, just in case.

row1384.jpg

In the south, the devastators are down.

row1385.jpg

While on the frontier, Lucretius falls to the Fire Dragon Exarch.

row1385a.jpg

row1386.jpg

Weeee. I had two turns remaining after killing the terminator. Those timed missions are all fucking close ones, and are pretty friggin easy to fail if you slack around.

I used the two remaining turns to mop up a little around the map. Invading the western fortress granted the capturing unit (vypers) 30 xp. Forgot to take screenshots :(

Moving on...

row1387.jpg

Why does the world still cry in pain? It is a mystery.

row1388.jpg

row1390.jpg

There's much to do in the barracks...

row1391.jpg

Guardians can upgrade to fucking Warp Spiders. Fuck yeah.

row1392.jpg

Some of the best fucking infantry in the game. Excellent movement (5 hexes per turn), great damage and many special abilities, but a little fragile. They have Warping, which makes them move freely around the map and ignore enemy zones of control (like the Striking Scorpion's warp skein artifact), Lethal, which converts all wounds to kills, and Cloud Attack. Cloud Attack gives them +4 attack against enemy squads in formation movement.

row1393.jpg

One avenger squad upgrades to Exarch.

row1394.jpg

Dire Avenger Exarchs are also excellent killing machines, able to stand toe-to-toe with just about everything, maybe except tough warmachines. Great defence and damage (both melee and ranged!), plus the 'Leader' ability.

row1395.jpg

Another fire dragon exarch joins our army.

row1396.jpg

Same with striking scorpions.

row1397.jpg

But wait, there's more.

row1398.jpg

When Exarchs upgrade to levels 9 and 10, they can choose one of the following Exarch skills.

row1399.jpg

row1400.jpg

Battle Fortune is a must and I always give it to every Exarch squad ASAP. Basically, when an Exarch is about to die, it has a 50% chance to survive with 1hp by a miraculous stroke of luck. I can't count the times it saved my elite troops.

Other abilities are as follows:
Bounding Leap gives the 'hit and run' ability, which makes units move like scouts (that is, they can still move if they didn't deplete their maximum movement after moving once)

Crack shot gives +4 ranged, Mighty Blow gives +4 melee. Fighting Fury improves the Exarch's defence by 2 and adds +5 to attack when the Exarch is down to 5hp. Master warrior gives +2 defence/melee/ranged.

Mighty Strike gives the 'overrun' ability. If an exarch kills a unit before moving, it gets an additional free attack. Resolve makes it immune to psyker powers. Stealth grants invisibility. Tough gives +4 defence, and War Shout provides the 'fearsome' ability.

So the Fire Dragon gets Battle Fortune, so does one Striking Scorpion. Others will have to wait for further advancements.

And that's it for today. In the next update, thing will get... ugly, so stay tuned :M

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Fuck that river. I couldn't even complete this mission properly and had to resort to going over the mountain range and skipping the entire valley. Had kills in a single digit I suspect. :(

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mission X - Foot in the Snare

row1401.jpg

row1402.jpg

Here's a p. cool tundra map on which we'll administer some slaughter.

row1403.jpg

row1405.jpg

Those Eldar icons on the structure are not technically 'control points', just markers of hexes we need to visit.

row1407.jpg

row1409.jpg

row1412.jpg

Also, I like how we begin at the end of what appears to be the last mission's canyon.

Let us move!

row1413.jpg

What the fuck is that

row1414.jpg

And that!

And that ugly mofo in the corner of the screen, what the hell?!

row1415.jpg

Tyranid... We're fucked :M

Lictors are Tyranid scouts, with high movement and spotting range, but still lower than our harlequins, at least. They are not particularly deadly, but their invisibility can provide you some rather unpleasant surprises if you don't detect them beforehand. Abilities they have are Fearsome and Frenzy.

'Frenzy' means the unit never breaks or flees, its melee is boosted by 3, and defence in melee by 2, but suffer -2 to ranged defence.

row1418.jpg

Genestealers are some of the worst and most common motherfuckers we'll be meeting. They have excellent movement and initiative for non-scout units, and melee damage that can rival our Scorpion Exarchs, but fortunately at least their defence blows. Moreover, they have Frenzy and Swarming Attack abilities.

Swarming Attack means a unit gets +1 to attack for each friendly unit that attacked the same enemy unit before it. You can now imagine the retardedly big damage boosts genestealers can get if they are like... the fourth or fifth unit attacking our bros.

row1420.jpg

And the last one are brood guard. Those are human/genestealer hybrids, pretty much cannon fodder comparable to Guardsmen, but a little better than them in attack and defence.

row1426.jpg

So we spread our forces a bit, and smack down the lictors (spotting more to the north).

row1428.jpg

Might as well harass the hybrids.

row1429.jpg

More enemies are spotted.

row1430.jpg

Brood missile teams are like Guardsmen missile teams, just with slightly better attack/defence.

row1431.jpg

Genestealers are nothing to laugh about, as you can see. Dire avengers finish them off after a moment.

row1433.jpg

While lethal scorpions kick these suckers around to uselessness :M

row1434.jpg

The lictors shred through some of our warp spiders.

row1435.jpg

And more enemy units

row1436.jpg

Appear in the north.

row1437.jpg

row1438.jpg

The hijacked Tyranid Leman Russes and Land Raiders are almost identical to their human counterparts, they only have leadership lower by 1.

row1445.jpg

Southern detachment gets rid of the lictors.

row1446.jpg

While the northern one falls into a defensive position to repel the warmachines.

row1447.jpg

Bastards assault the Scorpion.

row1449.jpg

While another Land Raider and some hybrids attack the swooping hawks (one hybrid squad dying in the process).

row1457.jpg

Next turn, our northern bros mop up the warmachines.

row1459.jpg

row1466.jpg

While in the south we *almost* disassemble the tank, and harrass the hybrids.

row1467.jpg

Haha, faggot.

row1469.jpg

OMGWTFBBQ.

Yeah, the AI is not as stupid as you might think. It sends the hybrid cannon fodder to soak up fire dragon support fire, while the fragile genestealers move in for the kill.

6 wounds on an Avenger Exarch. Now imagine what would happen (and will happen in later levels) if there were, like, 3 genestealers in the area. Ugly

row1471.jpg

In the south, I try to finish the land raider off with the swooping hawks, but no dice.

You might think it was foolish to send the battered hawks out there, but it wasn't. Since they're flying ranged units, they are unreachable by those melee genestealers (which makes them EXCELLENT weapons against them, btw), while the missile team is probably programmed to stay on the fortress at all cost, so it won't attack.

row1473.jpg

We also get rid of the hybrids.

row1476.jpg

First we mop up those vile things in the north

row1478.jpg

:hero:

The nearby leman russ fires upon a Scorpion during its turn, but doesn't do much.

row1481.jpg

It would be pretty unwise to storm a land raider and two genestealers with the southern detachment, so we'll just entrench them in this forest, and wait for the enemy to come instead.

row1486.jpg

Northern leman russ is down.

row1487.jpg

While the land raider returns for more beating in the south to shoot the warp spiders.

row1490.jpg

Though not very clearly pictured, the executioner inflicts 12 kills on the tank! Finishing it off with dire avengers and harlequins is a formality afterwards.

row1493.jpg

We keep advancing...

row1494.jpg

And find many dudes in this city.

row1495.jpg

Including an autocannon. Just like other hybrids, they are a little better in defence/attack than the human counterpart.

Some of the genestealers here came from the southern fortress, so the southern detachment should have a little easier time storming that place.

row1497.jpg

Also, it would be a completely stupid idea to storm the city all :balls to the wall:, so we just kill the hybrid with wraithguard and the Avenger, and move the Scorpions ahead to provide a steel wall.

row1499.jpg

Both genestealers charge and attack the Avenger and the Scorpion, swapping many wounds with them. Nasty sons of bitches.

row1501.jpg

Wraithguard instakill the genestealers. Wraithguards are fucking awesome against genestealers 'cause not only do the xenos get -defence from frenzy, their defence is also halved thanks to distortion, leaving them at defence comparable to autocannons (that is, almost none). Add to that the 'all kills' policy and the fact that there is no counterattack. But Wraithguards are fragile, especially in melee, so it's imperative to keep them out of harm, behind a wall of meatshields.

Then a Scorpion and Fire Dragon eliminate the other genestealers.

row1504.jpg

Some hybrids try to be sneaky and get flank us, but they are stopped by harlequins.

row1506.jpg

There's a single genestealer squad left in the south, and it attacks the warp spiders.

row1510.jpg

Also, during the enemy turn, the genestealers from the city come in close to our troops... but don't attack.

They didn't spot our fire dragons beforehand, and realised that attacking anything would mean instant support fire death. But they had nowhere to run then :smug:

We disposed of them shortly afterwards.

row1513.jpg

The southern genestealers are also down.

row1517.jpg

Then we harrass the missile team a bit and investigate the fortress.

row1518.jpg

Icky.

row1519.jpg

So long, hybrids!

row1521.jpg

Another land raider in the north. Harles keep harrassing hybrids.

row1523.jpg

With a fair deal of enemies still at the city, and some more flanking us, it's still not a good idea to rush.

row1525.jpg

First we melt the tank.

row1526.jpg

Then we shred the hybrids (wraithguard <3 )

row1528.jpg

And fall into a defensive position, waiting for the genestealers to come.

You can see here how the AI outsmarted me. I thought the 4 useless hybrids were gonna run or wouldn't even reach me. Haha, no. They kamikaze'd my fire dragons to soak up support fire (1), while the genestealers charged a Scorpion (2)

row1533.jpg

But there's no major harm done, and the aliens are eliminated.

row1534.jpg

Our southern bros arrive to the scene. We can now begin a proper assault.

row1535.jpg

But first, some shitty guardsmen think they can make a difference trying to attack swooping hawks.

Let us begin the invasion!

row1538.jpg

Hawks, aided by the vibro cannon, force the missile team to break and retreat

row1541.jpg

While Avengers, Harlequins and Vypers smack down the hybrid guards.

row1542.jpg

Mopping these suckers up isn't much of a big deal. Dire Avenger storms the missile team (1), forcing it to retreat. It's later chopped up by a Scorpion (3). Another Scorpion uses the hole in the enemy's defences to charge the autocannon and liberate one of the objectives.

row1545.jpg

'Sup, bros. They are level 7, btw.

row1550.jpg

We also liberate the second objective and get a level 7 space bro squad.

row1551.jpg

Then we mop up.

row1552.jpg

row1553.jpg

I sent a single Harlequin to investigate the northern fortress. It found a cannon there, and attacked it (1, forgot to take a screenie, so my artistic impression of the damage table will have to suffice), then was attacked twice by rapid fire (2, 3), after which I finally finished the autocannon and proceeded inside.

row1557.jpg

Cool.

row1558.jpg

Racist! :outrage:

No matter, we'll send our new squad of space bros here.

row1559.jpg

We proceed east, to the Adepta Sororitas monastery.

row1560.jpg

Marines find the scanners. Nifty device.

row1561.jpg

And all our forces arrive at the eastern front.

Attack!

row1564.jpg

Fire dragons lead the charge on the missile team and autocannon.

row1566.jpg

Hawks and warlock follow up, destroying the autocannon. Harlequins harass the other missile team, forcing it to break.

row1569.jpg

The idiots attempt to retaliate, but it's obviously not very effective.

row1572.jpg

Then we just mop up and liberate the site.

row1573.jpg

Cool. Also: 'blck'

row1574.jpg

Sisters of Battle are space marines with better movement/initiative and worse everything else. They also have the Heroic ability, which makes them immune to fleeing and morale breaks. This can be both good and bad because the lack of retreating can sometimes get them killed.

row1576.jpg

Then we free some immolators.

row1577.jpg

And the mission is a success!

row1578.jpg

Peace 'n' love, bros. We'll now be getting many human units, but only some of them will prove useful to our cause.

row1579.jpg

row1580.jpg

Yes, they will know the wrath of Craftworld Codexia!

row1581.jpg

This pop up told me I have 18 units in my army, while I can only have 15, so some were moved to the barracks. Don't ask me why it didn't get screened properly.

But anyway, I kicked the marines and sisters to the barracks 'cause I think we have enough tactical infantry, and the newly acquired fire dragons 'cause we have enough support fire. Or perhaps you have objections and would prefer to see some of those units in and others out? :M

I kept the immolator, though, 'cause it's pretty neat.

row1582.jpg

Like all human vehicles, it has pretty decent damage and defence, but also, like warp spiders, has the Cloud Attack ability, giving it +4 attack against formation movement. 2-hex range and decent movement are also a welcome bonus.

row1584.jpg

Dire Avengers ascend to Exarch status.

row1589.jpg

So do the Swooping Hawks.

row1590.jpg

The swooping hawk exarch is going to be one of our most useful units against the mostly melee-oriented Tyranid swarm.

row1586.jpg

One of the fire dragons gets Crack Shot. There aren't really that many better abilities for devastators.

row1587.jpg

The scorpion exarch, however, gets invisibility. Why? Because hiding scorpions in chokepoints to set up ambushes is hilarious and effective :smug:

Other exarchs that can get their first abilities get battle fortune.

row1591.jpg

While the warlock champion upgrades to a master.

row1592.jpg

Wielding the multi-headed dick spear, the Warlock Master is a powerful unit. It retains the Fortune and Executioner powers, but also gets 'Doom'. An enemy unit cursed with Doom takes double damage and all wounds become kills. Single entities don't suffer kills but still take double damage. Simply excellent when you want a tough unit quickly brought down. Pair with Wraithguards for ultimate carnage :smug:

Also, the warlock master has an attack range of 2, which makes him a lot easier to level, and considerably adds to his survivability, as he doesn't need to go to the front lines to attack anymore.

That's all for today. Next mission, we shall battle the hivemind some more, get more units, probably lose some, and meet new enemies.

Stay tuned :M

Last edited:
Every time this updates, I think it is the root LP being updated. Every time I am disappointed :rpgcodex:

Luigi

Barely Literate
You said there would be bunch of "ugly" in the update, havent seen anything. :disappoint:

And fuck root and his shitty retarded crap. *lawl a ring with powah of the souls lawl* HIS POWERLEVEL IS OVER 9000!!!11

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
But bros, how can I update when there are two updates on the same page already? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom