Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus -- Blind LP -- Fight and Die for the Glory of the Machine God!

Zanzoken

Arcane

xEde6cC.png

Name: Andnjord
Class: Explorator
Missions: 6
Enemies Killed: 19

XaaUiE9.png

Name: Lukaboy
Class: Dominus
Missions: 6
Enemies Killed: 9

kFpuHpJ.png

Name: Baud
Class: Lexmechanic
Missions: 2
Enemies Killed: 1
Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus is a game that I've been curious about for a while, and I finally picked it up in the recent Warhammer sale on Steam. The gameplay is primarily turn-based tactics, with a dose of character customization and C&C, so on the surface it looks like a good candidate for a Codex LP.

To be honest I've never really spent much time on the 40k setting or any of its myriad vidya offerings, but that intro was killer and has me all kinds of excited. There's a fairly lengthy tutorial that will explain more of the game mechanics and help further set the stage for the plot, so let's check it out!

Last edited:

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 1: Omnissiah Be Praised, We're Going In

So our story takes place in the Warhammer 40k universe (obviously) and positions the player as a commander within the Adeptus Mechanicus, a faction of dudes whose mission is to discover all knowledge in the universe and use it to build kickass weapons of war and destruction.

But for these guys, science isn't just their job, it's their religion... the Mechanicus worship the Machine God, a.k.a. the Omnissiah, and believe it is their religious duty to seek knowledge and comprehension of all things.

They're also heavily into body modification, replacing pussy organic parts with shiny, robust cyborg modifications that would make Elon Musk spontaneously cream his britches. The more advanced followers, known as "tech-priests", are often so highly modified that they barely appear human at all anymore.

Anyway, enough exposition...

HJn1yfT.png

I don't know a lot about this game but one knock on it I have seen is that it's a bit too easy, so I'm going to start on Hard and enable permadeath to make things more interesting.

nE6Vlfc.png

It's interesting to note that the game also gives you a highly granular level of control over the difficulty, allowing you to modify a lot of individual settings to rebalance the game as you see fit.

This is a really cool and underutilized feature in RPGs and tactical games, so props to the developers for including it.

cWBI21M.png

Since I'm brand new to the game though, we'll just stick with vanilla Hard to start. And with that, we get some brief introductory slides.

fjckIAa.png

bE5Ljlp.png

1hseGTB.png

Our first scene is a brief conversation between a couple of dudes, Reditus and Faustinius. The former is just a skull and appears to be a servant, whereas the latter appears to be one of the Magi.

As a quick LP note, I'm going to be pretty meticulous about copying in all the text for these early chapters so we can get a good foundation of the characters and the story, but expect that to slow down over time.

w71GCqm.png

wHRd0pd.png

FR5S5HJ.png

Svmu6Es.png

T6owlMx.png

OZE3mYB.png

Four months pass, and next we see our ship passing through a warp gate thingy and making its descent toward the alien planet.

rzDHyFb.png

We're greeted by a transmission from brother Rhesak, who apparently has been killed on the aforementioned alien world, known as Silva Tenebris.

D7U37Ar.png

zDi5qre.png

A new face, called Scaevola, chimes in.

yg7qGI5.png

Lm3xKgN.png

Eradicate xenos scum... roger that.

eQiPKnO.png

A serious-looking gent named Videx is quick to interject.

abKmgVJ.png

I see the potential for conflict here. Scaevola seems keen on studying the xeno tech, but Videx appears highly zealous about destroying it.

SQLYXrq.png

The camera backs up to show a "war room" type setup. Another captain called Khepra speaks up.

un6Ycae.png

zGjGstg.png

K4RDu20.png

ne93h9v.png

Two hundred years without contact, eh? I guess no one ever bothered to go check.

Zoucwdw.png

CRH9s9b.png

It looks like we'll be exploring an old, decrepit tomb. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

ZW5kSEf.png

EOweO0c.png

aaCSNo1.png

hk9Ej0q.png

I find Scaevola's autistic machine-like chatter to be oddly amusing.

xgGZb1G.png

Videx again busting out the scripture. There's something slightly intimidating about people who know a lot of Bible verses.

Faustinius is careful to maintain neutrality.

w4MPATy.png

And with that, the view changes to the map screen. Looks like we'll be moving from room to room, fighting enemies and dealing with random events.

S9pPdfW.png

5ENUBAl.png

656vE5U.png

mQqLCai.png

All right, looks like we've got an event due up first.

xCQM6to.png

Apparently it's some alien monuments.

LuDQg01.png

Reditus is perturbed.

qr4WPWe.png

Someone else speaks up, a rather intense looking fellow called Tiresus. He also wants to study the artifacts.

7P01jQX.png

Videx, naturally, is having none of that.

wylqLLb.png

Caution and scorn in all things. This guy would be right at home on the Codex.

The artifact is a weird glowy thingy with a bunch of writing on it. We can choose the following options.

Secure: Spread out and make sure the area is safe.
Scourge: Destroy the monument.
Scrutinise: Study the monument for knowledge.

Qrlpgsy.png

I think it's time to pass down some righteous fury on the infidel's false idols. Scourge it is.

But first, Khepra interrupts with a transmission.

8metPTj.png

Yet another tech-priest, this one named Rho, interjects.

HQntbkW.png

KQIlDAV.png

So we ended up getting some Blackstone, a resource of some kind that I'm assuming will be useful later.

The next room is empty, but after that we'll be getting our first contact with the xenos.

arReBqQ.png

hz8tKrW.png

We get another event, asking us how to proceed for the current battle. The options are...

Crusade: Take an aggressive position that will possibly expose the troops to danger.
Caution: Fall back like a pussy.
Consistency: Fight as dictated by conventional Mechanicus war doctrine.

ojdU501.png

We're obviously not going to fall back, but even though the yeet option is tempting, I decide to take the consistent approach.

Maybe one of the other options would've been different, but I can't tell that this had any effect.

eMAlykw.png

Finally, we get our first look at the enemy.

VT4d7dv.png

Is that an alien or a robot?

AIZ9FKn.png

Oh I see. It's an alien robot.

To be honest, on first glance I don't see anything particularly objectionable about these guys. I mean, we're really into the whole robot thing ourselves, you know? Maybe we could be friends?

Just kidding lol. Our religion commands us to smite these abominations, and that's good enough for me.

The team has a few more thoughts to add.

29mm5cN.png

:lol:

4jzL8lG.png

We hear from another magos, this one a womyn called Captrix. It's starting to feel like this outfit's got too many chiefs and not enough indians.

lwKgBBv.png

hWOKKYV.png

rmu5PWl.png

Finally, we get to the battle screen. Or rather, the deployment screen.

We've got a couple of techno-magi taking on a couple of necrons. Should be a pretty easy skirmish to get our feet wet.

jtjYnYg.png

I position our dudes to the right. We'll gang up on the nearest necron first, then shift and take out the other one.

With deployment finished, the camera switches to the proper orientation for battle.

p87z3N4.png

Our guys have a decent amount of equipment available for the battle.

Our first guy up, Manarius, has an axe that does Physical damage and a gun that does Energy damage. He also has a "servo skull" companion that can reveal our enemy's HP and armor stats, so I activate that first.

tGGlwrb.png

This bad guy has 7 HP and 1 Energy armor, which as you can probably guess provides 1 DR against Energy attacks. It won't help against Manarius' axe though.

First I move our guy near the glowing pillar to collect the "cognition point" which is essentially a form of effort currency that allows you to power certain attack and abilities in battle.

One of the uses of a CP is to gain additional movement on your turn. So I have to burn a point to get in melee range and attack with Manarius' axe.

igYv9CU.png

The necron we just hit got his turn next. He tries to move away from Manarius, triggering an AoO and getting himself KO'd.

However the necrons don't die immediately upon hitting zero HP. You've got to land one more attack on them to finish them off, or they'll regenerate in 3 turns.

3RCV4NS.png

Next up is our other hero, Jeremiah. He uses a servo skull on the remaining bad guy, revealing it to have 6 HP and 1 Physical armor.

03UZDCY.png

I move Jeremiah over to a nearby pillar to collect CP, then finish off the downed necron with a pistol, killing it for good.

wLXSP6B.png

It's interesting to note that you can do stuff on your turn in pretty much any order without ending it prematurely. You can move, attack, move again, use an item, whatever. It's a refreshing change.

Also, the animations are flashy and well-done.

DEbQfVp.png

The combat round ends, sending us back into the deployment screen. Apparently after each round, we have the option of spending CP to deploy troops.

We've got several mooks available but the tech-priests seem to have everything under control, so I don't deploy any new forces.

SHGTe2B.png

Now that we've got some CP accrued, I can use Manarius' ranged weapon, a hand cannon called the Phosphor Serpenta. It does quite a bit more damage than our other weapons but costs 2 CP to fire, which is a significant cost considering the team has to share from a pool of only 4 CP in total.

EKfhdP3.png

There's no reason not to let her rip here though. If we roll high on damage then this will one shot the last bad guy.

F6JCETk.png

Unfortunately we only roll 4 damage, so the necron survives. The bad guy's turn is next and he lands a hit on Jeremiah, causing 3 damage.

xKFQVSX.png

See the little yellow icon over the bad guy? When you target a square for movement with one of your guys, that little icon appears to indicate that your ranged weapon is able to hit the enemy. If I target the square one step back, the icon disappears, indicating that the weapon is out of range.

Very clever little piece of UI design there that I thought was worth mentioning.

pJQms4m.png

Jeremiah has a bead on the necron, but we'll have to roll a 3 to get the kill.

RjEwumt.png

This time the RNG is in our favor, and the bad guy falls.

Fo86g0l.png

Back at the map screen, the game points out that damage carries over between combat encounters. The tech-priests are obviously our best units, so it'll be important that we keep them out of harm's way as much as possible and let the servators tank the hits.

46FBd6h.png

That's it for now. Looks like we'll have at least one more event and one more combat encounter before this mission is over.
Let me know if you guys have any feedback. Omnissiah be praised!

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game always looked boring as hell to me. That "exploration" screen is the saddest shit.

Also, RNG > determinism

Zanzoken

Arcane
Unless I'm mistaken we'll be able to rename our Tech-Priests and customize their class and gear and all that, so does anyone want to have an avatar in the game?

Also if you have a preference on how we handle the events (i.e. curious about alien tech vs burning it) then chime in with your thoughts and we'll do whatever sounds most fun.

(personally I'm leaning toward the deus vult approach)

Zanzoken

Arcane
This game always looked boring as hell to me. That "exploration" screen is the saddest shit.

Also, RNG > determinism

Yeah my hopes for the exploration part are not overly high. The combat is obviously the meat of the game so I will just consider it a bonus if the events and level design are varied enough to create meaningful C&C.

Andnjord

Arcane
It's a neat game, and it does the w40k/Adeptus Mechanicus atmosphere better than any other existing game out there. And the music man, the music is damn right perfect for it. It does get way too easy once your magii level up and you get more of them though.

Also, for those who haven't played it, it's worth mentioning that the tech priests are voice acted with weird and wonderful tech sounds, not human voices, to emulate the binaric-speak they supposedly use. The game also pulls a neat little trick with that fact later on.

And sign me up for magos duty! I will purge the heretek in the name of the Omnissiah with the ritual of percussive maintenance (so melee for me, that's the first skill tree starting from the right LEFT side of the skills screen)!

And I vote for full Omnissiah Vult! obviously. Suffer not the Xenos to live.

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i'm afraid it's that time of the lunar cycle: i vote for maximum heretical knowledge gathering - necrons have a lot to teach us about being tech-dependent, grumpy, and metal

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 2: The Machine Spirit Is With Us

We push ahead to the next room where a scripted event awaits.

UDtZhKa.png

The burial chamber is filled with coffins, and we need to decide how we want to proceed. The options are...

Ignore: Pay no attention to the structures and keep moving.
Ignite: Light this mother up.
Intrigue: Observe our surroundings carefully and look for useful information.

zLvufvr.png

The solution is clear.

:killitwithfire:

vqnXc2w.png

Well, that sort of worked. At least we got some more resources out of it.

Another group of enemies waits in the chamber ahead. More infidels to cleanse.

8xIeQCh.png

The setup here is very similar to the previous battle, with two necrons squared up to stop our advance.

I use a servo-skull on the nearest one, revealing 7 HP and 2 Physical armor.

dfpFMsN.png

We've already got a full trickbag of CPs thanks to the random event, so Manarius can open up with the big gun straight away.

NvIusCQ.png

The xeno fires back, dealing 2 damage to Manarius.

URLHLAG.png

Jeremiah identifies the other necron. Still 7 HP, but 2 Energy armor this time. He'll be a bit trickier to deal with, based on our loadout.

6wXXYUW.png

Just then, a couple of holes open up in the floor, and some buglike creatures scramble out.

DpPCHVQ.png

They're reminiscient of ladybugs, which means like all things female they will almost certainly prove to be annoying.

Apparently the team has never seen these before.

oWpgCOW.png

YnenCCH.png

Somehow transmission from Rhesak, our dead comrade who was here before is, buzzes in.

6Fpjfx8.png

6EJFrNw.png

rdTWWHJ.png

3AzD4T2.png

9xADhoE.png

ZcX6605.png

Videx explains how we're hearing from Rhesak even though he's allegedly already been turned into spare parts.

acxQRS3.png

QBdRjkI.png

Anyway, we're a bit outnumbered now, so it's time to deploy a few Servitors and see what they can do.

We've got two CP available, so I burn them both to bring two of our mooks onto the field.

s7wTT9O.png

I order the Servitors to pounce on the nearest scarab unit, but two attacks aren't enough to squash all the little bugs.

However, the scarab tries to flee, triggering an AoO and getting itself killed.

K54Kvsd.png

The second scarab swoops down and bops one of our Servitors for 3 damage + an acid debuff. I forgot to check the tooltip to see what exactly acid does, but I did notice the Servitors have a passive ability that gives us a CP whenever they get hit.

ZkklPuz.png

Manarius jumps in to splat the scarab with his axe, but again we fail to record a kill. Our servo-skulls are on cooldown so I can't check how much damage we did or how close the scarab is to death.

ZKhhz5X.png

The necron across the chasm blasts our wounded Servitor, dealing 4 damage and recording our first casualty.

RIP Servitor 001, you will never be forgotten. If you make it to machine heaven, please give my regards to all the Nintendo controllers I broke as a child trying to beat Street Fighter and Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

l8ep7qD.png

The other necron scores a hit on Servitor 002, but Jeremiah finishes off the nearby scarab and grabs a CP off the nearby reservoir.

With both necrons still alive and one at full health, I deploy our last two Servitors and move them north to engage the fresh target.

gIRYHSZ.png

With two CP in the tank, we can unload the energy gun again, taking the damaged necron out of play.

fpMLN8N.png

The remaining necron uncorks a blast onto one of our newly deployed Servitors, nearly killing it. But Jeremiah moves up and scores a hit, followed by each of our mooks doing scratch damage.

CCvPqEJ.png

VOijUcy.png

There's a mechanic in the game where each weapon has a "Machine Spirit" that charges each time the weapon is used. Once the meter is full, the Machine Spirit activates, unleashing a bonus ability.

In the case of our energy pistol, it causes +2 damage, which will be overkill on this weakened necron.

1TPuxAJ.png

Manarius uncorks the supercharged payload and turns the necron into a fireworks show.

TzbsnFn.png

JzRjgmX.png

Battle over.

lRQ7wCW.png

Judging by the map symbol and the fact that there's only room left, I'm guessing we're in for an important event and/or boss fight in the next chamber.

5naLjv3.png
What's in store for our metallurgical heroes next? Stay tuned to find out!

Luka-boy

Arcane
Fuck yeah AdMech!

Sign me up. If you prefer a lore-friendly name, call my Magos Eusebius Visari. Make him a Dominus if possible.

As for events, no strong preferences except if it looks you canget a weapon from the in which case go for the weapons!

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 3: Sorrow and Despair From My Emotional Cores

The xeno structure is nearly ours. Only the final chamber awaits.

FGkMsbi.png

The team gets busy retrieving data.

sIz9pny.png

4hy60z3.png

WrHFT7U.png

7JCPZHK.png

92OKPwb.png

Scaevola interjects.

KdY72GK.png

kNRmydD.png

PoRYF3f.png

7Gmz4Dw.png

His disdain for the xenos is refreshing.

52vqT6c.png

Suddenly, things get a bit heated.

qVQ8Qjg.png

fOluhtS.png

CpxAXXA.png

Gtu3ye7.png

B4PIQcR.png

eav7Ox6.png

bmdYUFv.png

sMRDJJ0.png

Okay...

ph9E4vj.png

Good job? Meanwhile Scaevola appears to having a stroke / spinny wheel moment.

ObG146J.png

FwNZ0hV.png

vqvI2LQ.png

zTq2H0I.png

Nqksbox.png

0NoRQ5U.png

Waking, you say?

OiFTC0I.png

That could be a problem.

nxe8enn.png

That's definitely a problem.

bSL5g41.png

BZtUkDw.png

All right, ready to get some?

MTLO60a.png

Who is this Grim Fandango looking motherfucker?

IGEmnFt.png

Nu9ERcl.png

The boss necron is voiced in plain English, a stark contrast to the chittering of the Tech-Priests.

eDHR5Nt.png

A galaxy of pain, bitch.

pALuWWv.png

Damn skippy.

8KiUMQx.png

HQbI0fc.png

All right, options are...

Capture: Try to catch this guy alive and return him to the ship for study.
Fall Back: Run away like a fleshy female sex organ.
Stand Ground: Destroy.

Is this even a question?

nArcIrF.png

QPPguIk.png

Your womanly cowardice is showing, boob armor.

zX4lOnR.png

NO U BITCH LET'S GOOOOOO

hWcOuG3.png

All right, so we've got a grid-like battle map this time, with CP dispensers conveniently placed throughout. Our tech-priests will be starting out on the map's southwestern edge.

I5Mczui.png

Agrolekh, who appears to be the boss necron around here, is positioned in the center. He has two mooks like we fought before as support, covering his flank on either side.

tVWrGfN.png

We start off by using a servo-skull to size Agrolekh up, and uh... well... he's pretty big.

GpC6qpX.png

Okay, so it's possible that we bit off a little bit more than we could chew here, but there's nothing we can do about that now. If we've got to die, then we're going to die fighting.

Manarius fires the first shot of the battle, clipping Agrolekh with his energy gun.

sFgxqNs.png

Agrolekh spends a lot of time over the course of the battle telling us how bad-ass he is.

if3j4rP.png

It turns out he's also got the ability to swap his armor type at will. He started the battle with 5 Physical armor, but switches it to 5 Energy.

We've got weapons of both types but our Energy weapon is stronger.

dKUrRU0.png

Jeremiah is out of range, but grabs a CP from a nearby pillar. He uses his servo-skull to grab a second CP from a distant pillar, which is another handy ability the skulls have.

sBLfREO.png

Agrolekh can cover a lot of ground in a single turn, so a key here will be sacrificing our Servitors to slow his advance.

MCGUPFv.png

Jeremiah retreats but runs into one of the necron henchmen. No idea what this enemy's stats are, we just have to go for it.

1VH6pcD.png

But in a stroke of luck, Jeremiah lands a crit, killing the necron instantly with no chance of respawn!

The Servitor moves up to block Agrolekh, ready to meet certain doom.

sZYsmuQ.png

Manarius, who had previously delayed his turn, fires off another shot with the energy pistol, then makes a run for it.

7QQFhHL.png

Agrolekh changes his armor type again, but then pauses. Jeremiah now has a shot with his Physical ranged weapon. The damage isn't much but every little bit helps.

Agrolekh obliterates the Servitor we put in front of him, so I deploy our remaining two.

H3ppZPO.png

Everyone seems safe for the moment, out of Agrolekh's reach.

k2WICBM.png

Unfortunately this turns out to be a miscalculation, as Agrolekh closes the distance and decapitates both of our remaining Servitors in one mighty blow!

3uFyx4P.png

Things are starting to look dire, but Manarius has a Machine Spirit charge on his energy pistol, and is able to land a massive 8-damage blast.

ec5w951.png

Agrolekh is breathing down our necks now and he's hella fast, so it's a delicate dance of collecting and burning CPs in order to kite him.

Jeremiah manages to land another ranged attack. We've got the boss below half health now. If we can just keep this going a little while longer...

PioGBjd.png

I don't like having the guys bunched up, but keeping as much space as we can from Agrolekh is imperative.

sqEuzAt.png

Manarius lands another energy blast. It's going to be tight but we might actually pull this off.

JjS14EY.png

Jeremiah lands another shot but Agrolekh has closed the distance considerably, and we're out of CP at the moment.

p9Yjhyb.png

I create as much space as I can, but this time I don't know if it's enough.

lR3zOS3.png

Sure enough, our luck runs out. Agrolekh closes to melee range and lands a thunderous blow, hitting both tech-priests at once. :(

WA3YTjf.png

Both of our guys managed to survive (barely) but Jeremiah is in base contact with Agrolekh. Attempting to flee will trigger an AoO which will mean certain death for Jeremiah and probably Manarius too.

Urjt01h.png

My heart sinks at the realization that the only viable play I have at this point is to sacrifice Jeremiah so Manarius can run.

Using his servo-skull, Manarius desperately grabs a CP and makes a mad dash, harvesting two additional CP pillars and moving a safe distance away.

0fFOICF.png

But for Jeremiah, this is the end of the line. :salute:

RLgBFHW.png

Manarius still has a glimmer of hope, though. Agrolekh is close but if we can just keep moving and staying out of range, there's still a chance.

The goon nearby is also a mortal threat, since one hit from him will also be enough to do Manarius in.

xB9lKm0.png

Manarius makes another mad dash, collecting CP while en route.

pEQq0sB.png

For the moment, he's safe.

gtZkgw6.png

Agrolekh is chasing, but we've got a little breathing room now. Manarius draws his energy weapon and fires, bring Agrolekh below 10 HP!

jzVTyqa.png

Manarius flees some more, continuing to kite.

0paI12V.png

Unfortunately, we run out of CP at a critical juncture and are not in range of an available pillar. I really don't think we're safe here...

WMzoMQm.png

... and it turns out I was right. I mistimed the screenshot to capture it, but from where he was standing Agrolekh was able to move in and and strike the final blow, killing Manarius. :argh:

Manarius had a Machine Spirit charged on his pistol, too. Two more attacks (or one crit!) and Agrolekh would have fallen.

6Q7U45I.png

:negative:

Back on the command ship, the Magi are left to assess the situation.

0174dUc.png

qdBBRdF.png

wYy0FRJ.png

CqlJrcG.png

8dzaNoZ.png

f9qPrIb.png

Iiy3KZ5.png

Looks like we better settle in for a long campaign.

ZRMnQE8.png

BZ8WuPS.png

4uSvCAR.png

JXVC5aa.png

Scaevola has something to say.

AdwrKgf.png

Videx is there as if on cue, ready to counter.

zL5T8Gv.png

DVmAL15.png

Fair point.

5YCSUki.png

Can't argue with that either.

YYAz94o.png

The captain seems well-versed at juggling these varied personalities.

liTrBG6.png

lJ6HHFx.png

Now kiss!

The venue changes to a different area of the ship, but discussions among the Magi continue.

2WIkYT8.png

uF42Jkj.png

nSwwtrv.png

ujKPVU2.png

P0DLBep.png

vwT1JUr.png

6DDHc7i.png

IFSEFsT.png

34C5nRP.png

EpOHf81.png

An actual lose condition, eh? That's a nice departure.

Vw2Driz.png

x5mqvHE.png

5DawByZ.png

owWTYkt.png

WTj9nm2.png
I think that's it for the tutorial. In the next episode we'll be having a look around the ship and customizing our new Tech-Priests. Stay tuned!

Zanzoken

Arcane
It feels like the fight with Agrolekh is not really intended to end in victory, but what's annoying is that I'm 100% sure I could've won it.

Even after making the mistake of getting Jeremiah killed, all I needed to do was be patient and kite Manarius back around to the other side of the map where I could stock up on CPs and keep a safe distance. Instead, I got impatient and burned my last CPs on an ill-advised shot, and left myself no escape.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did notice the Servitors have a passive ability that gives us a CP whenever they get hit.
Get smashed up, in the name of science!

And yeah, I played only the tutorial and I was able to beat Agrolekh on my second attempt, though I don't think I was playing on hard. I also volunteer for a post of tech-priest, ready to burn the works of the Xeno

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 4: Commence Enthusiasm

With the tutorial completed, we're brought back to the war room screen and are free to poke around a bit.

ojlYom3.png

The Cohort tab is where we manage our tech-priests and troops.

loRObRo.png

Time to edit in our first two Codex brethren! Andnjord is up first.

pqyKOzj.png

We've got enough Blackstone to level up both of our tech-priests, so I open up the Disciplines screen.

wNQ5Ks1.png

As you'd expect, each class is geared toward a specific purpose in combat. Here are the summaries provided by the game.

Explorator: Takes on the Quest for Knowledge more than any other discipline. They reach far into the depths of unknown space searching for lost archeotech, new species, and even new worlds.

Secutor: Masters of man and machine. They wield the often-rare trait of charisma, with their inspiring leadership they are able to multiply the efficiency of Skitarii tenfold.

Tech-Auxilium: An often overlooke discipline, they take on tasks that other Tech-Priests avoid. They are the oil within an engine, keeping the great Mechanicus cog running smoothly.

Lexmechanic: Rigourous cataloguers, they compile, analyze, and run data entry tasks. They are capable of finding valuable data among indecipherable texts, maps, or other obscure forms, such as enemy weakness in battle.

Engineer: Unlike other Priests, they are found to serve on almost every Imperial planet in the galaxy, seeing to the well-being and maintenance of all things mechanical.

Dominus: Heavily trained in the art of war, using their skills to monitor and calculate highly complex battle maneuvers in the blink of an eye.

Xenarite: They seek to understand, and even use, dangerous alien technology. Their discipline can reap the greatest rewards, and the foulest corruption.

7GcNbe8.png

Andnjord is going to be an Explorator, a melee-focused class.

The level-up also unlocks a second Augment slot, allowing him to equip an additional weapon or piece of gear.

T1Vz86q.png

We've got a handful of weapons available from the outset, which should be enough to get us started.

AB2hiGQ.png

lNgZUqx.png

KNl4GG2.png

sV7BTyj.png

07NaFvN.png

I give Andnjord a Power Axe and a Phosphor Blast pistol. He'll be stronger in melee doing physical damage with the axe, but having a ranged energy attack also gives him flexibility.

VeEwM2T.png

Next up is Lukaboy. He'll be spec'd as a Dominus.

9uZWJZv.png

FTQpOwQ.png

I give Lukaboy a Power Axe as well, along with a heavy duty Arc Scourge.
Much to my chagrin, I fail to notice that both of these are melee weapons until halfway through the upcoming skirmish, so the perk he just got won't be of any help whatsoever. :M

8tKRm5Y.png

With the team outfitted and ready for battle, I pop over to the Tech screen to have a look.

Looks like there are a lot of weapons in the game. If we can collect all of these then we'll have quite an arsenal.

XLXBTDB.png

Support items, none of which are unlocked yet.

8sPTqc3.png

I'm impressed by the number of available troops. We just have Servitors for now though.

KiY89Ic.png

Ship upgrades, pretty cool.

BIryoRi.png

And finally we have Canticles, which are powerful abilities (magic spells?) that we can use in battle once we've met their requirements.

vOUKLOj.png

Kdb2dvb.png

Back on the Mission tab, if we click on Faustinius' portrait then we get a summary of the Xeno awakening level.

OiXxnHY.png

Two of the commanders have missions ready for us: Scaevola and Videx.

Scaevola wants us to kill some necrons and bring the bodies to her for study.

OqaoM4c.png

The rewards are a new weapon (which looks sort of meh) and a healing item which could prove useful.

SLhFdD6.png

NuqFbyU.png

Videx wants us to help him cleanse the nearby tomb of xeno corruption.

xzzpGdN.png

The rewards are a couple of support items, neither of which seems particularly strong.

2btjQiB.png

46WS8Z8.png

I don't have strong feelings either way, but Scaevola's mission seems to have slightly better rewards, so we'll go with her first.

Here's our deployment screen. Looks like we'll be able to deploy up to 12 units once the dropship is fully upgraded.

WBb4LVx.png

I load up our Tech-Priests and Servitors and prepare to depart.

z4hpX1q.png

We only have one canticle available at the moment: Litany of Life, which provides a moderate heal.

iQKBPHO.png

Upon landing at the mission site, the path forward immediately forks.

jYoz8TY.png

I start by checking out the event to the north.

WzcdopJ.png

Our options here...

Slow and Steady: Move with caution.
Study: Try to understand the technology.
Shut Down: Attempt to deactivate the devices.

I go with the cautious approach, feeling like there probably isn't much benefit in trying to study or destroy these devices.

YWOb9lp.png

Well that wasn't particularly helpful. I also get a notification that the necrons now know we're here.

YtsR9eS.png

The southern path leads to a "glyph" with a couple of symbols.

TsImAX8.png

5ryKhaS.png

I can't see any kind of hint at what either of these might do, so I'm left to just choose one at random.

QLRFXCe.png

So far we're really striking out on these events. Oh well.

The next room up ahead also has a glyph, and after once again choosing a random sigil it ends up healing the Servitor who was just injured a moment ago.
:balance:

oSqul0T.png

We've got several events left to go, but no enemies so far.

VpmzMLt.png

The next event places us at the aftermath of a battle where a few of our Skitarii have been slain.

w3XgvOF.png

The options are...

Eulogize: Say a prayer for the fallen.
Expropriate: See if we can salvage any gear.
Examine: Study the scene for data about the battle.

I choose Expropriate in hope that we'll find some useful equipment. There's not much to be found, but we do pick up a couple of CPs.

q9n07Wu.png

The necron level also rises again. I guess each time this number goes up, the necrons get more advantages in the upcoming battle.

2echrER.png

Two more events remaining before the final chamber.

Anm8rlF.png

This time we spot a few scarabs.

2Ed8Rj7.png

Options...

Acquire+: Try to grab many of the scarabs.
Ignore: Keep moving.
Acquire: Try to grab just a couple scarabs.

I figure there's no reason to stop and take action here. However the scarabs manage to pounce on one of our Servitors, inflicting another injury.

rJvnF3u.png

The necron level jumps again, reducing their respawn time.

6V14w8P.png

One more event to go.

4LB2bDg.png

gZgkKvj.png

Our options are...

Execute: Kill it.
Extrapolate: Take sensor readings and try to acquire data.
Extract: Try to capture it for return to the ship.

Suffer not the infidel.

xAW0Jsw.png

Well, none of that was terribly useful or exciting, but we've finally reached the main chamber.

6QG6r3l.png

The enemy force is only two necrons, although I think there's decent chance we'll have some adds to deal with.

Qgousom.png

I deploy a couple of Servitors to start the action since we've already got a full CP gauge.

6Uh79fs.png

Our servo-skulls reveal the necrons' stats. They've a bit beefier than the ones we faced earlier.

RXISeWO.png

VxFUUDW.png

I've positioned our team behind a pillar and a CP totem to provide cover from the necron ranged attacks. If we sit here the enemy will have to move up to get a shot.

JSJDfAr.png

Lq20y3P.png

After a couple of rounds, another necron pops out of one of the nearby structures. I deploy a third Servitor to distract him and keep his attention away from our main force.

0YMl117.png

y8oD7gt.png

This is the part where I notice the Arc Scourge I gave Lukaboy isn't a ranged weapon. He still manages to score a hit on two necrons though.

j9UQUiC.png

M4TIPAD.png

I move our two Servitors into melee range. They can't hit hard to damage the necron through his armor, but he won't be able to fire his weapon as long as he is engaged.

Andnjord moves up to strike in melee. His axe deals 3-5 physical, so we need to roll a 4 or 5 to get a KO.

LVKUZqL.png

The dice cooperate, so Andnjord is then able to employ his energy pistol to finish off the downed necron for good.

KJXMhXn.png

The necron level increases again, so we may have some more adds coming.

o9OYYYK.png

Meanwhile on our flank, our Servitor is in a desperate struggle with a necron. The bad guy has absorbed two hits, but without scanning him we don't know how many HP he has left.

LpYyjTX.png

Thankfully our Servitor's machine spirit is charged, so this next attack will have quite a bit of extra oomph to it. If we're lucky it'll be enough to score a KO.

j015Jmq.png

The attack connects and puts the necron out of commission, for now.

NVcPh1t.png

Our two Servitors on the bridge each close to melee range on the last remaining necron, doing scratch damage.

NaXswQ6.png

x6GIqgh.png

However a couple swarms of scarabs have appeared, and they quickly move in to heal the necron's wounds.

c1BMLD9.png

The necron takes a step back and eats two AoOs for his trouble, taking severe damage, but he's then able to land another hit on a Servitor. We've got our whole team in the field now, and each of the Servitors is only one hit away from death.

It's Lukaboy's turn, and the Arc Scourge is charged and ready to unleash.

FrkkL6Q.png

Luckily the weapon has a usable range of 2 squares, and we're able to attack from behind our Servitor line without causing any friendly fire.

CyKLv70.png

I missed capturing the animation, but the Arc Scourge nukes the necron and one unit of the scarabs, leaving the other scarab unit the only threat still on the field. Big success!

There's a nearby terminal with a "scan" icon that I've been meaning to investigate, and it's now safe enough for Lukaboy the check it out.

qkiXWaA.png

The result is 75 Blackstone, a nice haul.

kV1uSTD.png

Andnjord's energy pistol has a machine spirit, and he turns the gun on the final scarabs.

b9mxCXm.png

dUbe2Oa.png

We get the kill, signifying victory and the end of the mission.

MXshqXU.png

With the dust having settled, Scaevola notes that the necrons' bodies disappear when they are killed, and is puzzled as to why.

sI77cBZ.png

We have one final event for this mission.

ISvfQse.png

Options...

Abandon: Return to the ship.
Analyze: Search the chamber for anything of value.
Archive: Document damage caused by the necron weapons.

I choose Analyze to see if we can salvage anything useful for what is otherwise a pretty lackluster mission.

DFkiK2S.png

We manage to retrieve a Scanner, which allows us to extract 1 CP from an enemy every 3 turns. Not sure if that's worth an Augment slot, but we'll see.

HGeMikE.png

And that's a wrap.

W6JFt2H.png

Faustinius isn't thrilled with the mission, but there's not much we could've done to achieve a better outcome.

5fC4aos.png

r8n9U1j.png

Debriefing

HlSoVaC.png

We also managed to unlock a new canticle that gives a +3 physical damage buff to a single attack.

0ePKYpU.png

Hopefully the next mission yields a bit more positive results!
Not the easiest start, but the Omnissiah did not send us here to do anything easy.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
The Arc Scourge is close enough to a ranged weapon that I guess you won't be forced into early brain dissection retirement yet.

Oh well, plenty more chances to loot some more Necron tombs!

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ready to sign up if another tech priest is needed! IIRC the Lexmechanic skill tree lets you generate the cogitation points with one of the skills, so getting that on at least one tech priest is good - the sooner the better.

Regarding the troops, the sooner you get Skitarii Rangers Alpha, the better (Rust Stalkers from the DLC are also p. good).

Andnjord

Arcane
For my play-through I equipped my explorator with the melee axe (you get progressive upgrades to the same axe you've given me) together with two arc scourges. The amount of damage he could unleash in a single turn with a full tank a CP, the skill that allows a CP free weapon use, machine spirit bonus active and the bonus damage canticle was simply obsene.

The curatio mechadendrite is extremely useful in that it allows you to heal for no CP cost. Since damage carries over between fights of the same expedition and you have to pay in blackstone to heal up your tech-priests at the end of said expedition, you'll see how keeping everyone at max health is nice. Remember that each turn you're not limited by the number of actions you want to take, but by your amount of CP. Free actions can be a god-send over long fight. Which is why you should keep a couple of cheap, CP-free weapons to finish off downed necrons.

Similar thing for the scanner, you'll need all the CP you can get to use your big guns, but it's not indispensable early game and you can't really spare the augment slots for a while either.

Thought for the day: The Lord of Mars is with us in the dark, even if thou knowest it not. -Exaltations 49

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 5: Bless Their Ignorance

To begin, we've got just enough Blackstone available to level up both of our Tech-Priests. Fun!

Andnjord is up first.

CN0QtHm.png

If you're wondering why all the abilities have a space between them on the Disciplines table, it's because every second level gives us a specialized piece of class armor.

XgTbU6L.png

For the Explorator, the bonuses are as follows...

Head: +2 HP, +1 Physical armor
Body: +3 HP, +1 Physical armor
Legs: +2 HP, +3 Movement
Arms: +1 Physical damage

Since Andnjord is a melee-focused character, I decide to go with the Legs augment first. This will allow him to quickly cover distance to close to melee range.

y1eJdb4.png

This causes a slight change in his attire. I also redo his armaments and fix up him with a Power Axe (same as before) and an Arc Scourge.

0d200Z0.png

Next up is Lukaboy.

scTqJZB.png

P219Ww9.png

Bonuses for the Dominus armor...

Head: +2 HP, +1 Energy armor
Body: +3 HP, +1 Energy armor
Legs: +3 HP, +3 Movement
Arms: +1 Energy damage

I'm tempted to go Arms for the extra damage, but I can't resist the allure of going with Legs again. It's such a nice advantage having a highly mobile team, and since the ruleset of this game allows movement after attacking we'll be able to make even better use of the additional squares.

9iTx22o.png

I elect to swap out his armaments as well, giving him a Xenorite Macrostubber (Physical ranged attack) and an Arc Scourge. I really considered the Phosphor pistol since it's a ranged Energy attack, but it's damage output is too shit. Hopefully we'll get a better ranged Energy weapon soon.

Lukaboy's got a bit of a Doctor Octopus vibe going with his new armor.

R6FPSmU.png

Scaevola has a new mission for us but it looks a bit more challenging and I think we'll let the team (and me) get a bit more experience first. Videx is still waiting with his mission from before.

Iaw3OOd.png

Deployment is same as last time... two Tech-Priests, four Servitors.

PdZ6VS3.png

The goal for this mission is to revisit Agrolekh's tomb and deploy a device called a "censer-servitor" which Videx claims can rid the tomb of its foul, xenorite energy.

OP6M5cL.png

This is a fairly large complex, but there's only one way forward to start.

4X7VnvA.png

I decided this time to pay closer attention to what our quest giver was saying in response to the events we run across, curious about whether they might be giving clues as to how best to act in a given situation.

tjs7Jc6.png

Apparently the censer-servitor we've been tasked with is something of a hunk-o-shit.

HUo6XkB.png

Here's what we can do...

Primary Maintenance: Quick and dirty fix.
Secondary Repair: Focus only on key systems.
Tertiary Diagnostic: Perform a full workup.

The scripture that Videx quoted emphasized speed, but since this machine is essential for the mission, I don't want to half ass it too much. Let's go with a secondary repair.

CyJaVqA.png

Nothing bad happened, so I'm gonna consider that a win. Onto the next.

Here you can see how spread out this place is. There's even another room off to the far left that is out of view.

NGMJtFB.png

Given that we're already running into technical difficulties, probably best if we stick to the shortest route.

14RwaxS.png

EDrVlwx.png

Options..

Engage: Have a conversation with the machine.
Examine: Try to identify the source of the aberration.
Excise: Rip out the vocal box.

Videx said "beware the deviance of thine own tools..." so I don't think we need to entertain this bullshit. Excise!

Sc5hcmn.png

Again we get a non-bad result, and even managed to pick up a new (albeit weak) weapon out of the deal. Maybe I'm just getting lucky but this new problem-solving approach seems to be paying off.

SFrVg7k.png

We'll head southwest next. If this run of good luck continues then maybe we'll explore deeper, but if not, we can just head straight for the main chamber.

4Fmrhz7.png

Videx again offers some words of wisdom.

L9HvWqF.png

BCevazQ.png

Options...

Scrutinize: Try to identify the issue and repair the machine.
Suffer: Ignore the noise.
Silence: Destroy the parts of the machine that are acting up.

If we want to keep following Videx's lead -- and we definitely do -- then the choice is clear. Scrutinize.

r69f2ET.png

:positive:

Since everything is going so swimmingly, I decide to push it a bit and keep probing the dungeon. Unfortunately when we enter the room to the northwest, Videx doesn't give us any counsel on what to do next.

DHb2VfG.png

Options...

Magnetism: Overload the machine's levitation circuits to try to lift it out.
Manual Labor: Climb down and muscle it free.
Mechanics: Rig a system of ropes and pulleys to hoist it up.

I don't think manual labor suits us. We are men of science, Omnissiah-damn it, not apes. However, the magnetism approach strikes me as a bit too... ambitious? Let's keep it simple and try Mechanics.

Cd2P5gx.png

All right, Videx seems optimistic.

Oi7zyO4.png

Not a bad result really, but as I pause a moment to reflect on this mission and the previous one, it feels like we haven't really stood much to gain in taking on these events. Continuing to explore this place is a gamble, and not a particularly good one.

The way to the main chamber is clear, we just need to backtrack a bit.

0RV3cuB.png

The battle map contains three necrons, three CP pillars, and two Blackstone drops.

qqxJA9W.png

I deploy a couple of Servitors and to use as human shields for the Tech-Priests. The angled pieces of metal flanking either side of the bridge also seem to provide cover, forcing the necrons to advance if they want a shot at us.

MdMnRIz.png

The next turn, the square platform adjacent to the bridge moves itself across the chasm. I make a mental note that this will be a convenient way to access the distant Blackstone drop.

TdY4fmM.png

A necron warrior also sneaks in from the southeast, so I deploy my remaining two Servitors to go take care of him.

y4ivIMF.png

mTIEVyR.png

Lukaboy steps out of formation to pop the new guy with his pistol, then returns to the protection of his meat shield.

KGdgFaw.png

The necron hits one of our Servitors, but next turn they'll be able to swarm and trap him.

csYD4Ys.png

The necrons across the bridge continue to creep forward and are bunching up, which bodes well for us since each of our Tech-Priests has an Arc Scourge that does AoE damage.

I decide to wait one more turn before attacking, hoping they'll have to keep moving closer.

bEM5n80.png

Meanwhile, our two Servitors have the bonus necron cornered and are hacking away at him. I have no idea if they're doing damage since I've needed to use my servo-skulls to activate the distant CP totems.

OuDLqBR.png

HoKJGre.png

Unfortunately the necron is able to tank two direct attacks and two AoOs, then blasts one of the Servitors into oblivion.

yZA96VT.png

With a trio of necrons bundled together across the bridge, it's time to strike. Lukaboy dashes forward and unloads with the Arc Scourge, causing an undetermined but likely heavy amount of damage.

nYSuLaI.png

FoGKPGM.png

I thought I would have enough movement for Lukaboy to retreat behind his Servitor guardian after launching the attack, but he's short one square. Luckily we have initiative next turn, as shown by the order at the top.

m51NUlS.png

The battle on the flank is reaching its climax. Our Servitor has a machine spirit and is ready to unload with a powerful blow, but I still don't know if it'll be enough to finish off this necron.

72PoO6x.png

Luckily the strike finds its mark and the necron finally collapses in a heap.

PmtjG4f.png

On the bridge, a Servitor closes to melee range and smacks the closest necron.

eCOjoJw.png

Lukaboy has a machine spirit on his Arc Scourge, which means we can instantly fire it again at no CP cost. The xenos are in big trouble now!

rEQtDno.png

lPocDEm.png

vkfh75n.png

Once the dust clears, only one necron is still standing. The lead necron's body is cleared by a Servitor, and Lukaboy steps onto the moving platform, ready to ride it across the chasm to collect the Blackstone there.

cNBRv1V.png

Andnjord hasn't had much to do so far, but he's now clear to move up and collect the Blackstone from the nearby drop.

PdAOf8e.png

The remaining necron opens fire into our wounded Servitor, killing him. It won't affect the outcome of the battle though.

lZdmSIC.png

The turn clicks over and Lukaboy rides the magic platform across the chasm and right beside the juicy Blackstone drop.

N70BNJs.png

Finishing off the downed necron on the flank.

Mkgc3XT.png

Lukaboy grabs the second Blackstone drop.

rr6QNDp.png

Our other remaining Servitor clears the final downed necron. Only one enemy still left alive, and he won't be for long.

cNuLK8A.png

With all the Blackstone collected, Andnjord is free to step forward and swing his mighty axe. It's revealed that the enemy only has 1 HP left, so there's zero chance he'll survive the next attack.

HL8MTJ1.png

qL37Abr.png

AUrwcjN.png

And that's all she wrote.

SgWBJpV.png

Faustinius is a bit incredulous as to what this mission has actually achieved, but Videx is certain that we've done something good and meaningful.

FmM94GI.png

Debrief. Two dead Servitors, but the Tech-Priests are unscathed. I'm content with that.

Ed0isV4.png

Our canticle that buffs Physical damage also levels up.

CaCMb1c.png

We have two choices for our next mission.

Scaevola's mission...

4jT1Owc.png

vwC7ybi.png

Px6fvBY.png

or Videx's mission...

OPGqZrF.png

5jT3CRj.png

K1Rj4K0.png

Thoughts?
Audience participation items for the next update:

1) Which mission do you want to us do? (Scaevola or Videx)

2) We have just barely enough Blackstone to level up both Tech-Priests again. Go for it now, or save the Blackstone for later?

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
I normally side with Scaevola in my playthroughs and her reward seems better (due to the extra cogitation point capacity), though the level 2 servitor would suit your playstyle for now, and it would be nice to give Videx a chance - I vote for Videx.

As for Blackstone - you should be able to get by without suffering much damage in these early missions, so I would say do the level ups now, there will be time for hoarding later.

Andnjord

Arcane
1) Which mission do you want to us do? (Scaevola or Videx)
I would normally go for the extra CP , but in this case I'll stay in character and agree with the frugal culinarian. Purge the taint of heresy!

2) We have just barely enough Blackstone to level up both Tech-Priests again. Go for it now, or save the Blackstone for later?
There isn't anything you can save your blackstone for except more level-ups though, isn't it? Spend it now.

Glory to Ukraine
There isn't anything you can save your blackstone for except more level-ups though, isn't it?

You need to pay blackstone to deploy higher level troops (though at this stage its not a problem as servitors deploy for free). IIRC you also pay with blackstone for healing of tech priests and troops after the mission, though I guess that is usually covered by the blackstone you gain on the mission.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom