Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's play Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus -- Blind LP -- Fight and Die for the Glory of the Machine God!

Luka-boy

Arcane
Scaevola´s mission will be more useful in the long run, but Videx unlocking better servitors will help you more in the early game, so...
4umW4EP.png

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 6: Above Bullets, Above Blades

Once again we get the pleasure of starting off with level-ups.

As is custom, Andnjord is up first.

3L1cdzD.png

Continuing down the Explorator tree, his new ability increases his Movement and grants him immunity to AoOs. Good stuff!

uDFoc6m.png

With his new Augment slot, I drop in a Curatio Mechadendrite. It's a small heal with a relatively long cooldown, but it's imperative that we keep our guys in good condition and our options for healing are very limited otherwise.

1YlmqfD.png

Next is Lukaboy.

8xsIcki.png

The next ability in the Dominus tree allows his servo-skull to deal 1 damage to an opponent. Seems kind of underwhelming, since more often than not I'm having to use our servo-skulls to gather CP instead of scan enemies. But perhaps that will change down the line.

1Vx6WOh.png

He gets a Curatio Mechadendrite as well. These will probably end up being standard issue on all of our Tech-Priests so they can easily recover from scratches or combine for major first aid.

gm5dKtJ.png

Based on popular vote, we'll be taking on another mission for Videx, our resident spiritual advisor who tirelessly inspires us to rain hellfire and damnation onto our enemies.

Videx wants us to head back into Agrolekh's Tomb again to combat the ever-encroaching menace at its source.

HXpI1R5.png

Same deployment as last time.

5F5tkJe.png

Videx starts us off with some directions and encouragement.

qUp4HEi.png

PPZRwSL.png

The Lector-Dogmatis has a way with words, doesn't he?

Anyway, this is a sprawling complex but our two mission objectives are relatively close by. For now I'm happy sticking to a policy of just going for the objective and not wasting time trying to explore all the rooms.

seCJRyd.png

Upon reaching the room with the first objective, we're immediately thrown into combat.

Bs6daVb.png

To begin, we've only got a couple of necrons to worry about, plus a Blackstone drop in the northwestern part of the map.

fQ6j4Tx.png

XeTzdzs.png

2Mo7WE1.png

The battle objective says we just have to survive 3 rounds, so I send Andnjord to grab the Blackstone first thing. I don't want to get bogged down and run the risk of not retrieving it.

JQu5JXt.png

Lukaboy fires off into one of the necrons, then retreats to the nearby CP pillar.

96fGNZE.png

9cKaaad.png

A new enemy type, known as a Flayed One, crawls out of the chasm in the center of the map. The Magi take turns speculating as to what these things could be.

KQjvTLi.png

tXRjp3d.png

Faustinius is more concerned about killing them than understanding them.

e7QaJ9W.png

Roger that.

We also get another necron add, for a total of three necrons + a Flayed One now on the field. I deploy a Servitor to help even the odds.

a6rekpa.png

Andnjord closes to melee range on the necron add and cracks him with his Power Axe.

KRNktv2.png

zfqlGuh.png

I'm not sure what that Flayed One is capable of, so I pull Lukaboy back and create a choke point so it can't get through. We'll let the Servitor tank the hit and see how much damage these things can do.

HnPRDYY.png

2tYAkHK.png

The Flayed One closes and attacks, only doing scratch damage.

L3aW8Wg.png

We're looking okay so far, but next turn the enemies get another round of reinforcements... one necron and one Flayed. That brings their force up to three necrons and two Flayed Ones active, plus one more necron who is down after being KO'd by Andnjord on an AoO. The mission objective also changes from "survive" to "kill all enemies" so we've got no choice but to take them all out.

I deploy another Servitor to guard Andnjord's back.

vBvgXDi.png

Andnjord moves up to attack. His axe is getting a lot of use in this mission.

sFEPYSq.png

Lukaboy shoots the nearby Flayed with his pistol, doing an unknown amount of damage and inflicting Acid burns.

Hwh0xtw.png

Unfortunately I've made a positioning error, and one of the necrons across the chamber is able to target our Servitor blocking the choke point and blast him.

e3sQThc.png

This in turn allows Lukaboy to be swarmed by the nearby Flayed One and attacked in melee. He's also in range of two, possibly three more enemies next turn.

FPdUCpm.png

We're in a bit of danger here, so I decide our best play is to withdraw back toward where the Blackstone drop was located.

The plan is simple. The Flayed Ones are fast but can only attack in melee. The Necrons can attack from range but are slow. By creating distance between ourselves and the enemy force, we can split them up.

jreyGVo.png

Unfortunately that means Lukaboy has to tank an AoO from the Flayed One in order to retreat. He's wounded, but luckily we now have the tools to patch him up.

SRpeYfV.png

One of our Servitors is positioned to finish off a downed necron, but that leaves him range of one of the others for a shot from a gauss gun.

3hOp9QS.png

We successfully complete the withdrawal, giving us some time to heal and fill up on CP before the enemy catches up.

CfIbMLy.png

The nearest Flayed One covers more ground than anticipated and manages to kill another Servitor.

J8fetxo.png

But he's also signed his own death warrant, because Andnjord is right there to close in and let the Power Axe eat through some more yummy xeno flesh.

D3wfKGV.png

4aDshcO.png

A couple of applications with our new Curatio gadgets and Lukaboy is almost healed.

BeL0SJT.png

He steps up and takes a shot at the nearest necron, then retreats to safety.

yT4UhDW.png

Our Servitor avenges his fallen brethren and vanquishes the downed Flayed One.

vqtDImy.png

Once again utilizing his superior mobility, Lukaboy is able to come forward, attack, and then fall back out of the enemy's range.

RHL0gUB.png

The second Flayed One closes in, but Andnjord is there to strike him down, and the Servitor again cleans up the body.

5pEhCKu.png

zlI5lVM.png

Another turn passes and the necrons aren't able to get in position for a shot at us. However, they're close enough for our Tech-Priests to charge.

Andnjord closes ranks with the necron who is full health, and unloads on him with the Arc Scourge. It's not enough for a kill, but with no melee attack to retaliate with this guy is screwed.

yb6JLXa.png

Lukaboy takes a shot at the other necron and rolls a crit, instantly vaporizing it.

mj8ZOHT.png

He treats himself with the curatio one more time, returning to max health.

PgFjmhY.png

The last remaining necron tries to move away from Andnjord so it can attack, but is obliterated by an AoO in the process, ending the battle.

eM2ufNN.png

The battle is over, but we're thrust straight into an event, receiving the following guidance from Videx.

jUR8a9M.png

5zJlt2M.png

Options...

Volume Level Alpha: Leave the volume the same.
Volume Level Gamma: Turn it up.
Volume Level Omega: Blast it!

The only speed we recognize in this outfit is wide fucking open!

Videx approves.

1pE0zux.png

eHosuNo.png

Only one event left to go before the second objective.

8qGb4C4.png

m7i3MBL.png

No guidance from Videx this time. Options are...

Seek: Find the source of the music.
Shame: Admonish the Skitarii and demand the music be shut off.
Stifle: Transmit a stream of data to cancel out the music.

Hmm, I really don't know what to do here. And in cases like this, I revert to my default approach: ruthless aggression. Stifle!

8V7YU3g.png

Well that wasn't exactly ideal, but I can live with it.

Last contact of the mission is imminent.

9vjTfiW.png

Videx chimes in, and we get an event.

XzQixEs.png

Ooq0Rfp.png

Options...

Protect: Grab the vox-caster and save it for another day.
Purge: Clear away the scarabs with the righteous application of flame.
Punish: Clear away the scarabs with our melee weapons.

Damn, I really want to burn these little fuckers to a crisp, but I'm concerned that we'll damage our equipment. Bashing them to smithereens seems like a reasonable compromise though.

HEYnJKx.png

Gah, I had a feeling that might happen. We really should've used the flamethrowers.

Much to my surprise, however, that's the end of the mission. I figured two objectives would mean two battles, but alas it isn't so.

4DbDUx6.png

Videx seems satisfied with the outcome though.

IVV7qxe.png

Debrief

zZOF9e4.png

And we unlock level 3 of our Physical damage canticle, buffing it up to a whopping +9.

4v62kcg.png

I haven't needed the canticles so far, but now that we've maxed this one out there's no reason not to start using them.
No audience participation this time, because our next mission offers the best reward of all... a new Tech-Priest!

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Lukaboy takes a shot at the other necron and rolls a crit, instantly vaporizing it.
He treats himself with the curatio one more time, returning to max health.
That's like smoking a cigarette after a satisfying quickie.
:positive:
Andnjord closes ranks with the necron who is full health, and unloads on him with the Arc Scourge.

Is that an arc scourge in your robes or are you just happy to see me?

To every problem, a solution lies in the application of tech-lore. -Ferrarch Asklepian

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 7: Chastisement of the Menials

This go-round we'll be jumping straight into a mission.

Khepra is asking for our help for the first time, and is offering some fantastic rewards.

SRKxkT3.png

We'll be getting our first new troop type, the Skitarii Vanguard...

0R0qH3o.png

... along with the ultimate prize, a new Tech-Priest!

34LzHHh.png

The loadout is the same as we've always used, but our Servitors have been upgraded with slightly higher HP and attack, and a new taunt ability that also confers a temporary +1 bonus to both armors.

rfTZ2Ra.png

The goal for this mission is to destroy several key passageways the xenos are using to make life difficult for the Skitarii.

Jr6n3Sx.png

There's only one way forward to start.

KtfFTON.png

DLsjRiM.png

You know for a bunch of dudes who supposedly worship technology, we sure have a lot of shitty, non-functioning equipment. Anyway, options...

Replace: Use a replacement detonator and hope this new one isn't defective.
Use Force: Detonate the charge with gunfire.
Repair: Attempt to replace the corroded parts.

There's not much guidance on how to proceed, but despite my previous comment, I think as men of science we surely are prestigious enough to fix a simple detonator. Repair!

SBEJdau.png

I'm glad to see my faith wasn't misplaced.

The road forks here. There's no indication which way might be better, so I take a right in order to stay on the shortest path.

NmDw3rh.png

Khepra advises us to linger here a moment and survey the scene.

2xEG3cL.png

INvzB4t.png

Options...

Avoid the hands of fate: Find another way around.
Observation protocols: Carefully examine the damage to look for a weakness.
Blow off steam: Test out our demolition charges and try to bring it down.

We'll take Khepra's advice and pause to observe.

TNa2BOY.png

These little injuries to Servitors are annoying. At full health they can tank a hit from a necron, sometimes two. But with only 4 HP they'll probably go down in one shot.

Anyway, another fork. Let's stay on the quickest route to the target.

Q2b34MU.png

Tiresus pipes up prior to the next event.

zKwCHCj.png

Le7ghtJ.png

Options...

Erase records: Destroy this blasphemy.
Examine: Thoroughly examine the inscriptions.
Archive: Record the inscriptions in pictures, then keep moving.

I know we should burn this bullshit and keep moving. What do xenos know about anything? Unfortunately this time my curiosity gets the better of me, and I choose the Archive option.

rTgxmNg.png

o12WQWj.png

I can't tell if Tiresus is annoyed at us, at himself, or at the situation. But I'm resolved not to entertain anymore of this necron hocus-pocus from now on.

One more stop before we reach the main chamber.

xqrLpKe.png

27OmZgB.png

Options...

Inspect the globe: Check the globe in the center of the room.
Examine the faces: Look at faces on the walls.
No xeno tech for us: Move quickly and ignore the decorations.

Like I said... fuck all this xeno stuff. Keep moving.

x36NKcS.png

Meh, whatever. If we had stopped then something even worse probably would've happened.

The battle is next, so time to go to work.

yqYqk0a.png

Starting off, the enemy force consists of three scarab units and one necron. The goal is to "survive 3 rounds" so we can expect at least one or two rounds of adds.

w1ziVzg.png

I deploy one Servitor to start, activate his "Provocation" ability, and place him in the middle of the scarabs to hold them in place.

5Z86Ztw.png

I am planning for Lukaboy to attack the scarabs on the right with the Arc Scourge, which will do lesser damage to the unit in the middle. So the Servitor attacks the middle unit to weaken it.

jNl4xeZ.png

Lukaboy moves into position and unloads with the Arc Scourge, blasting two scarab units into dust and delivering his favorite catchphrase.

cjkBm76.png

8EcKSTu.png

Andnjord rushes the necron and begins hacking away with his axe.

ubY0Wbf.png

However the necron manages to tank a direct hit and an AoO, and steps back to blast Andnjord from point blank range.

9KaVsLh.png

A platform rises up with two more necrons on board. We need to swarm these guys before they start blasting, so I deploy the rest of the available Servitors.

5qFCQgv.png

Two of the newly deployed Servitors immediately rush the closest necron on the platform, engaging in melee and striking for scratch damage.

caL9H9L.png

0Am3znE.png

Our first Servitor has a machine spirit charged, and uses it to one-shot the last unit of scarabs. Then he moves in to place a third meat shield on the platform.

gNlsuBX.png

dAalWWa.png

Lukaboy takes a brief detour to pick up a Blackstone drop on the lower end of the map.

USjur4u.png

Andnjord uses his curatio to restore half the HP lost from his wound.

TbmPofZ.png

With the first necron on death's door from Andnjord's early onslaught, the fourth Servitor is able to finish the job.

Yhw2dsR.png

Another platform pops in with two more necrons. This one is a bit more difficult to reach.

F7D61U8.png

Lukaboy heals Andnjord, bringing him back to full health.

6oosJht.png

Andnjord and the Servitors pile onto the first set of adds, killing them both.

Fp5HB04.png

But one of our Servitors is in range of the more distant necrons, and gets blasted to death.

DOOozUI.png

A third and final pair of necrons joins the battle. Unfortunately the terrain favors the xenos here because there's not really a safe way to close the distance with them.

V5iiyoN.png

Lukaboy is our only ranged attacker. He can take shots at the necrons and then retreat out of range.

gQyjkyQ.png

I decide to pull everyone back and regroup, but as I mentioned, there's no cover between us and the necrons. Andnjord is fast enough to close the distance in one turn, but the Servitors aren't.

sOGK1mW.png

There's no choice except to fully commit to using the Servitors as meat shields. At least their new shield ability helps them to tank better.

pT3HP15.png

Lukaboy continues to do damage on the right flank.

wPLV5Fd.png

Unfortunately, with no cover to hide behind our Servitors are being shot like fish in a barrel.

A63QaB6.png

qRcgeW0.png

RZX0cHU.png

What the xenos don't know, though, is that Lukaboy is about to pop the fuck off.

First he unleashes a machine spirit charged Arc Scourge, obliterating the enemy's left flank.

vxK23cQ.png

tkkINbr.png

Then he steps forward and lasers one of the necrons on our left.

Ndj1BjO.png

Finally, he uses his servo-skull to execute the lone necron who survived the Arc Scourge. I guess that small damage buff came in useful after all.

sIy1WR8.png

However, with no meat shields to protect him Andnjord is forced to soak another hit. But he's a good sport about it, and the curatios will quickly fix him up.

C3LR5DL.png

Lukaboy steps in and let's loose another shot. The goal is to soften the necrons up so Andnjord can rush in finish the job before they attack again.

6ewVx2s.png

I can't recall if the rules allow Andnjord to make an AoO on both of these guys in a single turn. I decide to gamble on yes and elect to attack the higher HP one. If it works, then they'll each be killed on their next move as they try to escape engagement.

edWzydo.png

Unfortunately, it doesn't pan out. Andnjord knocks one of the necrons down with an AoO, but the other one gets away scot-free and shoots him. He's wounded for a third time this mission, and probably wondering why the Omnissiah would curse him with such a shitty commander.

EEgCLdZ.png

Lukaboy blasts the downed necron to kill it for good. This wasn't necessary, but I felt like giving the xenos an FU.

Bt0XOze.png

Luckily for Andnjord, the only thing that surpasses my dumbfuckery is the Omnissiah's power and benevolence toward his followers. I use the Litany of Life canticle to bring Andnjord back to full health once again.

7XvBtwJ.png

GvBImuM.png

Now all that's left is to deliver the final blow on this last necron. Andnjord lets it fly and as always, his axe finds its mark.

dq9XYDt.png

P6wEhOR.png

And with that it's finally over.

mjMHgfN.png

Khepra is grateful for our help, and confesses that she wasn't sure if the Tech-Priests would be too keen on helping the Skitarii.

FGm8oWa.png

Faustinius rebukes this and affirms that everyone is part of the team. Hopefully he doesn't find out about all the Servitors that just got slaughtered on my account. :oops:

Evf81zw.png

Debrief

vWXAVOQ.png

We also unlocked a ton of canticles, so I'll have to start thinking carefully about which ones to bring into battle.

TQ4KF5C.png

ailQzhg.png

0nQUZoJ.png

fuAihUz.png
Be sure to tune in next time as we introduce our newest member of the team... Magos baud!

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The goal for this mission is to destroy several key passageways the xenos are using to make life difficult for the Skitarii.

can't necrons teleport at will?
thinking.png

You know for a bunch of dudes who supposedly worship technology, we sure have a lot of shitty, non-functioning equipment.

The operative word here is worship and not understand

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 8: New Trickeries

Introducing our newest Tech-Priest... everyone please give a warm welcome to Magos Baud!

7E2LoSY.png

Since baud did not request a specific class when joining up, I decided to make him a Lexmechanic. This class is all about harnessing CPs to power our abilities in battle, a consideration that will only increase over time as we obtain more Tech-Priests and fancy equipment.

We've got a lot of Blackstone on hand, so I'll level him up to match the rest of the team.

UtY0iWJ.png

jtyvFHJ.png

vVUhTwr.png

Armor options for the Lexmechanic...

Head: +1 Physical armor, +1 Energy armor
Body: +4 HP
Legs: +2 HP, +2 Movement
Arms: +2 HP, 20% Dodge chance

If you read the previous updates you can probably guess what I chose.

6czj0Gb.png

Nxq1zLA.png

For gear, I give him an Arc Scourge, a curatio for healing, and a scanner for obtaining CP.

3RsKHKy.png

We've got a handful of missions to choose from.

hDuP9au.png

GscRx11.png

mvc8etz.png

I decide to go with Scaevola's mission since one of its rewards is a +1 increase to our max CP gauge. Like I mentioned before, our need for CP is only going to increase from here, so having a bigger pool to draw from will be invaluable.

Our deployment now includes three Tech-Priests, which naturally only leaves room for three Skitarii. Unfortunately the new Skitarii class we unlocked in the last mission, the Vanguard, costs Blackstone to deploy, so we'll just stick with Servitors for now.

ySzufv0.png

Our mission is centered around a new enemy type, the Necron Destroyer. Our goal is to hunt one of these things down, kill it, and return the body to Scaevola.

ESh8ViD.png

The first event...

feJBnlq.png

Options...

Warfare: Try to learn Destroyer battle tactics and weaponry.
Weakness: Look for any explanation of the Destroyer's weakness.
Worldview: Try to understand Necron philosophy around the Destroyers.

There's no guidance on what we should do, but I'm thinking that since this is some kind of Necron mythology piece that it probably won't have any info on the Destroyer's weakness, if there even is one. And I don't give a shit about their philosophy, so let's go with Warfare.

aUm650M.png

Good enough. On to the next.

JGI7vkm.png

Scaevola chimes in before the next event.

OR1WlS2.png

Djeas9C.png

Options...

Tag: Mark the location for the Skitarii to retrieve the body.
Take: Try to retrieve it ourselves.
Trash: Destroy the sarcophagus.

I know trying to do this ourselves is a bad idea. I know it beyond a shadow of a doubt. But Scaevola did ask us directly to... ugh fuck it, Take.

J87kAkZ.png

Of course that would happen. Sorry Baud, now you've been properly welcomed to the team. This will no doubt be the first of many injuries you'll suffer at the hands of my ineptitude in service to the Omnissiah.

Two more events to go.

ecLU7Ql.png

LcdOXZK.png

Options...

Peruse: Examine the remains for evidence of Destroyer tactics.
Procure: Search for supplies.
Pray: Say a prayer for the fallen.

I recall having a similar event to this one in the past, and I think Scaevola is steering us correctly here. Peruse.

6D8VqHp.png

:thumbsup:

3HDyXXt.png

Last one. This time it's Videx who speaks up.

x6hJdXq.png

70dc3Qq.png

Options...

Download: Access the trooper's memory for information about the Destroyers.
Deliverance: Try to save the trooper's life.
Demand: Interrogate the trooper about what happened.

I don't think there's anything we can do to save this guy, nor is he in any condition to tell us what happened. Let's go for his memory banks.

axz6MiO.png

Pour one out for dead homies but I am always stoked to find Blackstone.

All right, the end is in sight. Let's see if these Destroyers live up to their name.

zBPPuPO.png

The creature that greets us is not at all what I was expecting.

From the way they were described in the events I figured we'd be up against something like a Floater from X-Com with added stealth capabilites. But these guys are more like robotic centaurs, with the upper body of a Necron and the lower body of a tank.

Su7aRA4.png

QD1wN6D.png

0i41Z7y.png

The map is an interesting design, with a big dividing wall across the middle separating the Destroyer from our troops.

fRngj81.png

Immediately a Necron warrior steps out of the ether to join the battle.

YVzHK4y.png

I don't typically use our servo-skulls to scan enemies, but since the Destroyer is brand new it will probably help to know its defenses.

8ut7Ha6.png

Turns out this guy has quite a bit of HP, but no armor. If we're smart about it, we should be able to take him down without too much trouble.

Du9uqCq.png

The pathway is only wide enough on one side for the Destroyer to round the wall and attack, so I place two Servitors there to intercept him.

iqMxGvH.png

But then a unit of Scarabs and another Necron warrior join the battle nearby, so I send the Servitors to tie them up.

TLFILFU.png

KS9vivH.png

Lukaboy takes a shot with his pistol, damaging the Necron warrior. Ranged weapons are quite useful and I hope I can track down some better ones soon.

xMijD00.png

Meanwhile the other Necron warrior has moved around the opposite flank and down a narrow passageway between the dividing wall and the level's outer boundary. I move Andnjord in to intercept him, and uncork the Arc Scourge for big damage.

6ytpT3W.png

MdxvT91.png

We've still got a CP to burn, so Andnjord strikes with his axe to try to finish the bad guy off.

YxYO8tS.png

It's not enough to kill but the Necron is wounded badly enough that it will die to an AoO on its next move. So it's essentially the same result.

m3FRpg7.png

Across the map, the Destroyer takes a shot at our exposed Servitor and kill it in one shot. I wasn't sure what types of attacks these guys have, but a powerful ranged Energy blast is obviously among them.

NlXwq8z.png

The other nearby Servitor kills the Scarab he is engaged with, but I fail to notice that another Necron warrior has appeared until after I've already moved. If I had engaged the Necron here with my Servitor it would've made things a lot easier.

kd3n5wr.png

On the other flank, a unit of Scarabs has emerged and moved up behind the Necron downed by Andnjord. I'm pretty sure Scarabs can instantly heal KO'd Necrons and get them back in the fight, so we want to prevent that if possible.

fvkOslu.png

Speaking of which, Lukaboy finishes off a downed Necron on the other side with his pistol, then unloads on the nearer, active Necron with his Arc Scourge.

2eKzwso.png

DJgbBo1.png

sU1cnsu.png

Unfortunately it's not enough to get a kill, and the Necron is able to retaliate with a hit on Lukaboy.

0Omv2dt.png

Andnjord uses his axe to eliminate the adjacent Necron, then steps into melee range to trap the nearby Scarabs.

u0kRL68.png

One of our Servitors moves up and hits a Necron with a machine spirit melee attack, putting it down for the count.

ncEdivH.png

The Scarabs hit Andnjord for scratch damage but also douse him in acid, which causes damage over time. Not life-threatening, but annoying.

4ue7m2n.png

Meanwhile the Destroyer has finally advanced down the dividing wall and is almost in attack range, so Lukaboy steps out and blasts it with his pistol to start wearing the big fucker down.

Svhm1mC.png

Andnjord destroys the Scarabs, clearing away the last enemy from our left flank.

vAHVPdx.png

Baud steps around the corner and lights up the Destroyer with his Arc Scourge for solid damage, then retreats back to safety.

Fne8ttJ.png

Unfortunately the cohort is in more danger than I've anticipated. The Destroyer moves around the corner and seriously injures another Servitor, then immediately gets another turn and nails Lukaboy.

PtP5M3I.png

g7Q0VJh.png

Fortunately the Servitors are able to pounce and pin the Destroyer against the wall.

iKFpOwW.png

jZyEiS1.png

The Destroyer is our last surviving enemy and is trapped for now, so I use a canticle to heal Lukaboy.

kIDR48Y.png

i24y2Zn.png

Andnjord finally grabs the nearby Blackstone drop.

u0zSjO6.png

I brace myself for the Destroyer to unload some kind of devastating melee attack on our Servitors, but to my surprise it just tries to disengage. It appears that similar to the Necron warriors, the Destroyers only have ranged attacks and are helpless in melee. One of the Servitors responds with an AoO and gets the kill on the weakened Destroyer.

Imagine the looks on the faces of the other Skitarii when he gets to tell that story. :smug:

4EXqIWo.png

Mission over.

SYGnhq6.png

Debrief. This is the first time we've ended a mission with our Tech-Priests at less than full health, and I'm annoyed to discover that it costs 10 Blackstone per HP to heal them. One of the few irritating design choices I've found in what is otherwise a super solid game.

UcPFXKq.png

More canticles unlocked. These are all powerful abilities, but the one that instantly charges all of our Machine Spirits seems especially OP.

Z7R8h05.png

DlR44A9.png

tMWf7pV.png
More to come soon, stay tuned!

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Lukaboy takes a shot with his pistol, damaging the Necron warrior. Ranged weapons are quite useful and I hope I can track down some better ones soon.
Fuck yeah, get more guns! That's why I propose taking risks in events where you can get more weapons.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
In the late game there are ranged weapons that deal massive AoE damage and can literally nuke whole groups of Necron warriors, but that stuff is quite some distance away at this point. As for melee Necrons, they have Flayed Ones that you have already seen (those are pretty weak), but later on there are going to be highly annoying melee specialists who can actually teleport.

can't necrons teleport at will?
thinking.png

Necrons generally cannot teleport at will with a few exceptions, the teleportation only happens once they get knocked out, so they can be repaired. Basically each Necron is connected to the nearest "base" (usually a space ship or tomb world) which will take them back for repairs, but it only works one way (ie they need to walk or fly all the way back). There is also a special safety mechanism that forces the whole Necron army to teleport to base if they suffer too many loses (the "phase out" rule in the table top). In the lore the usuall why in which Imperium wins outright victories against the Necrons is that they manage to locate the local repair base and nuke it from the inside, which prevents damaged Necrons from teleporting away and wipes out the ones being repaired (for example the "World Engine" story).

There are some special units which can make short "tactical teleports" though, which is basically their equivalent of jump packs.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Chapter 9: Inferior Steps in Technological Advancement

All right lads, first things first -- new toys! This time everybody's getting Arm upgrades.

pYz1ac4.png

yB38FSl.png

sOPg3se.png

W8ixw0q.png

rhhIhs7.png

KQUEMeo.png

We've got our pick of missions, but I decide to go with Khepra because one of the rewards is an additional seat on our dropship. The number of enemy we're facing is slowly creeping up, so our team size needs to increase in kind.

nq0DX0x.png

VndTPnw.png

The mission is to find a piece of equipment called the Oculus Topographis, which is being used to map out Agrolekh's tomb.

VW6y3ZC.png

First event.

jLcWD53.png

UOzH7Vp.png

Options...

Retrieve: Extract the data and leave the skull behind.
Secure: Watch out for an enemy ambush.
Acquire: Recover the skull intact so it can be recycled.

Khepra's probably right about this thing having useful data. Should be a slam dunk for us to pick up a couple of CP for the upcoming fight.

:slamdunk:

Retrieve!

FfDL76t.png

Or not. :|

We pass through an empty room next, then come up on another event. As usual, I'm deliberating taking the shortest possible route to reach the destination.

gevfkY4.png

Options...

Clease: Burn the corpse.
Scavenge: Look for useful gear.
Mark the passing: Say a prayer for the fallen.

This could easily be a trap, but I can scarcely pass up a chance to find new equipment. Scavenge!

4Cqlun0.png

Probably not something we'll make much use of, but at least no one got hurt.

Moving on...

tsBplhS.png

X9VrTJn.png

Options...

Ignore: Leave it alone.
Exploit: Intercept and decode the transmission.
Eliminate: Destroy it.

This has heresy written all over it. Not on our watch, xeno scum!

Eliminate!

:killitwithfire:

jLrOx4u.png

I wasn't expecting to pick up a weapon here, but this thing is pretty bad ass. It's essentially a long-range Arc Scourge.

With that, we're ready for battle, where a new enemy form has joined the fray.

TiXFHGf.png

Videx is not impressed.

ogcJfyr.png

Faustinius cuts him off.

MV36Du0.png

aZp9oeL.png

Immortals, eh? We'll see about that.

There's another new bad guy too, that looks kind of like a giant bug. Our dead pal Rhesak chimes in with an old recording.

cjJf4wu.png

1nnUfkQ.png

YXrshIO.png

0rpXoy0.png

I'm guessing these critters have the ability to break armor, but the joke's on them... we don't have any armor! :M

The goal for this mission is to cross the map and scan a terminal. We'll have to wade through several enemies in order to do so.

coyyrfH.png

Complicating matters is the fact that there's only one Cognition source on the entire map, and it's unreachable on foot. Fortunately it's a three-pointer, and Baud's got a special servo-skull ability that can harvest the whole thing in one shot.

z0pveEc.png

One of the bug dudes charges forward to attack. I've got the team positioned pretty far back to avoid the reach of the xenos' guns, so hopefully we can take out their melee forces before the gunners close.

Lukaboy opens up first.

VjOmQxk.png

Turns out these critters are called Canoptek Acanthrites. I reserve the right to continue to refer to them as bug dudes though.

aWZwqiy.png

I drop a couple of Servitors in to screen our Tech-Priests, and they manage to kill one of the Acanthrites.

okUKP5x.png

S2DxAfK.png

I use a servo-skull to scan the Immortal. He's got lots of HP and a little bit of Energy armor. I'm more worried about his offensive abilities though.

OLVwTX3.png

The Immortal makes his first attack, doing AoE damage to Andnjord and our two Servitors. The attack doesn't do a lot of damage, but it cuts our movement in half for the next turn.

nWAlVBL.png

The Servitors manage to chop up the other Acanthrite, but the Immortal lands another hit.

mIv3ntF.png

Lukaboy squeezes off another shot, hitting the Immortal and dousing him in acid.

tueHXWE.png

Andnjord springs into action. I move up him to base the Immortal, and speak the Cant of the Craft for +9 damage on the next attack.

X3rYv7r.png

T9r9rTL.png

Andnjord lands a mighty blow, but the Immortal doesn't fall. The enemy is still in a tough spot though, because if he tries move away he will trigger an AoO and be killed.

7FBh2da.png

A gang of Scarabs appears, but Lukaboy quickly takes them out with his pistol.

MIm3SSr.png

The two Necron soldiers gang up on one of our Servitors and kill him.

TyZWBuJ.png

TsXcx6W.png

Andnjord knocks out the Immortal and borrows Lukaboy's ice cold catchphrase to mark the occasion.

3zKxPHQ.png

We're in a bit of a precarious spot here. I need Andnjord to move over and base the two Necrons so they can't just stand back and blast us, but he's currently trapped by a Flayed One.

Luckily Baud springs into action and unloads with an Arc Scourge, killing the Flayed One and finishing off the downed Immortal, then grabs another batch of CPs to keep the train rolling. It's a big turn that keeps the momentum solidly in our favor.

L13He8f.png

6vpt0EP.png

78aRtuH.png

A Servitor moves up and finishes off the downed Flayer.

Mk7P6lU.png

Now Andnjord is free to engage the two Necrons.

KJvIHhU.png

cbIWIeb.png

Andnjord rips them with his axe and his Arc Scourge, dealing heavy damage.

YXtLKgo.png

2xHz8X0.png

5wm92zg.png

Lukaboy moves in to add his two cents.

fnU9Qbq.png

Then Baud steps in for the kill.

xKCbqPr.png

QWmNoT5.png

Another group of Scarabs appears, but unluckily for them, Andnjord is right there with his axe.

f4REqgV.png

All that's left is to scan the terminal...

0t1fee7.png

... except actually not, because two more enemies join. An Immortal and a Necron.

rzmxp98.png

I move everyone up behind the pillars, thinking they'll be in cover, but apparently I miscalculated the line of sight because both Andnjord and Baud are hit.

m8H0J60.png

Lukaboy at least is unscathed, and steps out to take a shot with his pistol.

Ah2ReSi.png

I move the last remaining Servitor up to tank. He absorbs hits from both of the xenos, but manages to deliver a receipt to the Immortal.

jHMrCNX.png

YUJRjwF.png

Andnjord leaps into action and uncorks his Arc Scourge, taking the Necron out.

kUlXwAa.png

I then move Andnjord forward so that the Immortal is trapped between him and the Servitor. I'm hoping this will cancel its attack for the next turn.

syNNeF3.png

Lukaboy gets another shot in.

Ygsbur1.png

I didn't do a good job screen-capping this, but apparently the Immortal absorbed opportunity attacks from both the Servitor and Andnjord and managed to get another shot off, but it was killed either by its own AoE attack or the acid from Lukaboy's pistol.

NejvjAR.png

Regardless, it's mission complete.

tx1a0YB.png

ELWbIWZ.png

Debrief. I am pissed that I have to burn 40 Blackstone when I could've used a canticle to heal Andnjord. I just didn't expect the mission to end on the enemy's turn.

KVjGXBq.png

We also unlocked a new canticle, and a new sector to do missions.

likYRKt.png

vQAD2fz.png
Apologies for the lengthy delay between updates. Tune in next time for what is surely to be a thrilling endeavor... purging heretics from within our own ranks!

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like the overall design of the Mechanicus, which was really fleshed out when GW released their miniature line a few years ago, but I'm a little annoyed by their weapon selection: the Mechanicus is the Imperium faction that's maintaining all the advanced tech, including weapon, while keeping the best bits for them, but so far all their weapons are exclusive to them (except maybe some of their plasma weapons, with usual design with visible coils), so it doesn't feel like they're building all weapons of the Imperium, but closer to a distinct tech base

Andnjord

Arcane
True, there's also something else that drives me crazy. Back when I played w40k as a wee little kid, the weapon selection for the space marines was fairly simple. You had:

-bolters for mass firing and anti-light infantry
-plasma for anti heavy infantry
-melta for anti-vehicles

Each with their pistol/rapid fire/heavy variants and

-assault cannons for anti infantry
-las cannons for anti-vehicles
-missile launchers for multi-purposes

Fast forward to today and the ranged weapons list in the 9th edition space marine codex is 4 and a half pages long...:prosper:

Zanzoken

Arcane
So I went to do another update, and thought that I'd give one of the DLC levels a try. The mission was rated "Easy" but it turned out that the enemy force was 5 rogue Tech-Priests and 8 Servitors, each of them significantly more powerful than the equivalent guys on my team. Needless to say, it did not go well.

Idk if the Heretek expansion was designed to be ultra-difficult as a response to criticisms that the game was too easy, but since the difficulty spike was falsely advertised I'm going to give myself a do-over and save those missions until much later in the campaign.

Z2Bhdd8.png

spectre

Arcane
It may depend on the choices you make in the cyoa part of the mission, I think one of the picks will actually give you different mission objectives.
It's been a while since I played this, but iirc I didn't really have to kill everyone in the first Heretek mission, instead it was something like survive for X rounds, which is sorta doable with the use of chokepoints and healing items.
Still, the "easy" rating for this mission was hilariously mislabled.

I think the following missions were actually easier, but you still probably should only take this branch once you feel you have your shit together.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Is doing that mission now up for debate?

On second thought, better wait until you have l0l techpriests or at least better Skitarii troops :M

Andnjord

Arcane
I've never played the expansion, so I cannot offer any advice beyond "some people die=good; everybody dies and the LP is over=bad" :oops:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom