Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's See Who's More Prestigious: RPG Codex or RPGWatch!

Which combat system do you prefer?

• Turn-based

• Time-based turns

• Real-time

• Real-time with Pause

• UgoIgo (copyright Chien) [I think this should be our King Comrade entry]

• I don't care, I like them all

• I don't like combat

Results are only viewable after voting.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
So they've had this poll going on since February that asks which combat system is preferred. Essentially it's pitting turn-based vs. various non-turn-based systems, and, perhaps surprisingly, it's currently holding steady at about 48% preferring true turn-based (a very large majority of votes cast).

What will Codex' results turn out to be? Have we lost our precious "prestigious" status? Is RPGWatch better than we are?!?

Let's find out!

(I'm going to phrase each poll option exactly as they did for fairness)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
By the way, I do NOT recommend actually reading the posts in that thread if you value your sanity and/or you consider yourself to be in any proportion a grognard, at least until the end of page two which so far has two excellent replies.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I like Underrail.
And I like PF:KM.
And there's not a soul alive that's gonna convince me to not like either of these games.
TB purists are a sure sign of decline.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can like a game *gasp* despite the combat system. I think this is what some people don't get. They perceive the question as "what does your favorite RPG use?" and they default to the IE games without actually examining what they like about them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Voted TB as it is my general preference, but I could have easily voted "I like them all, AS LONG AS THEY ARE WELL IMPLEMENTED".
Real-time combat has its place alongside turn-based combat as suitable for certain RPG subgenres if well implemented in combination with other game mechanics, but RTwP is a horrid abomination that combines the worst aspects of both and should be eradicated from the genre.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If I have to choose, I vote for Turn Based.
But Real Time surely works better in a game like Ultima Underworld than TB would, so it's not like TB is automatically best. In fact slow, simplistic TB is the worst possible combat system.
And I like RTwP for variety, and for the feeling of simultaneity in combat. I think it works well enough in the IE games (although I would want a separate unPause button for the worst clusterfuck combats), and also in Evil Islands.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Congratulations, this is one of the most retarded poll i ever voted for around these parts.

Who the hell would add Time-based turns as a viable option for a combat system ?

UgoIgo (copyright Chien)

:prosper:
Did you really have to copy/paste that shit ?
I don't even want to know what that means ...

PrettyDeadman

Lets be honest here, real time combat is a superior option.
Just look at Jagged Alliance 2. Turn-Based should be included as an optional easy difficulty mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom