Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its 1000 per level in BG2 actually.

And those were some... hard wolves. Something seems wrong with mosnter generation.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #3 - High Hedge

The Codex wants us to sell some stuff that we carry around, so we head to the nearest area containing a store - High Hedge.
up3_Baldr065.jpg

The Codex' stats so far.
up3_Baldr065a.jpg

It seems that we killed a wolf, and 15 gibberlings so far in this chapter.
up3_Baldr065b.jpg

codex_m.jpg
They were all diseased anyway.

The journey was tiring, so we start with a quick 16-hour rest, after which we start roaming the forest.
Almost immediately, we are greated by a representative of local wildlife:
up3_Baldr066.jpg

codex_m.jpg
A cave bear? More like a mountain of slow moving XP. Just gotta keep ahead of him, and shoot arrows.

up3_Baldr067.jpg

This tactics seems to be working. Bears in this game really are slow as fuck.

up3_Baldr068.jpg

Cave bear is down, netting us sweet 650 XP, but excitement makes us fail a spot check and miss a wolf behind The Codex' back. The wolf has a surprise sex offer for our hero.

up3_Baldr069.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The fuck? Getoffme!

The Codex does not swing that way - except the sword swinging of course.
Gods of dumb luck are on our side and The Codex manages to kill the wolf, while still standing.

codex_m.jpg
Whew. That was close.

Wow, I didn't know You had so much blood. Isn't it supposed to stay inside the body?

codex_m.jpg
Let's rest a while here, ok?

After the rest, we move on, soon encountering more enemies.
up3_Baldr070.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I see dead people!

They're more like, You know, undead.

codex_m.jpg
Not for long, they're not!

up3_Baldr073.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Skullshot!

up3_Baldr074.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Come on, let's dance the dance of death!

up3_Baldr075.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, baby! Sword and me rule this stage!

up3_Baldr077.jpg

Skeletons apparently learned their tactics from diseased gibberlings, hence they don't stand a chance against The Codex and his mighty Autopause ability.

codex_m.jpg
You are seriously trying to piss me off! You just can't stand when I'm doing good, don't you?

I'm only worried about Your future. Barely anyone is reading this thread anyway. If You don't die often enough, it will decline even further.

codex_m.jpg
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life!

Okay, You're right. I actually like to see You suffer.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck. You.

up3_Baldr078.jpg

Victory!

codex_m.jpg
Finally, enemies that drop some kind of loot. Although, I wouldn't call killing them a get-rich-quick scheme.

Well, get used to fighting skeletons, since this place is loaded with them.
Here's some more:
up3_Baldr079.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Not that I mind. They're weak and give reasonable amount of XP... Hey, I have an idea!

up3_Baldr082.jpg

Forget it. We're not farming skeletons to help You become slightly less sucky.

codex_m.jpg
Dammit!

up3_Baldr083.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ow! That hurt, you fucker!

up3_Baldr085.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Geez, how many more of these things are there?

Told You to get used to them.

up3_Baldr086.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! I'm gonna get you for that!

Better drink some of that blue stuff. It would be stupid to die like this.

codex_m.jpg
It's the bottle that is blue, not the liquid.

Whatever, just drink it.

up3_Baldr087.jpg

codex_m.jpg
HA! How do you like me rolling a 20?

The potion was a good idea, because The Codex was hit one more time in this fight. Fortunately, not severely enough to die.

codex_m.jpg
I still think skeletons suck ass. Those were just three lucky rolls.

up3_Baldr088.jpg

We rest to heal.

codex_m.jpg
Justaminute, it's nighttime. Wouldn't it be reasonable to wait until morning?

What do You care? You're an elf, you've got infravision.

codex_m.jpg
It's not the lack of visibilty, I'm worried about.

What is it then?
up3_Baldr089.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How about encountering a pair of giant fucking spiders!

Holy shit.

up3_Baldr090.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Poison! Thank god for the cow cure stolen from Candlekeep.

up3_Baldr092.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Saved!

You still have 1 HP left. We should retreat.

codex_m.jpg
No! I can do it!

up3_Baldr093.jpg

Sure You can...

Death count: 6

We reload.

codex_m.jpg
Let's, uh, try another route, shall we?

Ok.

up3_Baldr094.jpg

codex_m.jpg
More free XP!

up3_Baldr095.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Actually, I'm starting to wonder where do all these skeletons come from? Do they spontaneously rise up from the ground where adventurers are nearby?

up3_Baldr098.jpg

Dunno. I guess, Thalantyr raises them. The guy really likes his privacy, and skeletons roaming the area scare away most people.

up3_Baldr099.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What? Really? I'm starting to feel a kind of respect for the guy.

up3_Baldr101.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Down! I think that was the last one.

Hopefully, it was also the last pack of skeletons we encountered here.

We continue exploring, soon running into Kivan.
up3_Baldr102.jpg

up3_Baldr103.jpg

It's standard procedure by now. We join him, take his stuff (free arrows, mostly), and leave him.

up3_Baldr104.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Indeed, it is. And no, we shall not.

Moving on.

up3_Baldr105.jpg

codex_m.jpg
A giant dogman!

Yeah, gnolls are the second plague that this forest suffers from. They don't give as much XP as sekeletons, but are even easier to kill.

up3_Baldr106.jpg

codex_m.jpg
One shot - one kill. That's how you do it, stormtroopers!

up3_Baldr107.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Think you can reach melee range?

up3_Baldr108.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No, you can't!

up3_Baldr110.jpg

Watch out, this one is a veteran.

up3_Baldr112.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Veteran, or not, doesn't matter to the sword's blade.

One of the gnolls had a short sword, which is a quest item (Perdue's sword). I forgot to screenshot it.

up3_Baldr113.jpg

codex_m.jpg
More gnolls!

Well, these are actually flinds.

codex_m.jpg
What's the difference?

up3_Baldr114.jpg

This is the difference.

codex_m.jpg
Fucker! Thank god for healing potions.

Let's hope you are a fast drinker.

up3_Baldr115.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Shit, they're stronger than I thought.

up3_Baldr116.jpg

Yes, quite a bit.

Death count: 7

We reload.

codex_m.jpg
Ok, I'm in for trying a different approach. I'll hide in shadows and scout the area unseen, so I can have the option not to die a horrible death when meeting something stronger.

We can try.

up3_Baldr118.jpg

The Codex' 1337 stealth skillz fail him right just the moment he reaches sight range of a some wild dogs. Luckily, Autopause gives us the (unfair) advantage and allows to equip armour before they attack (meaning, before the game considers the combat initiated).

up3_Baldr119.jpg

The dogs bite hard, but killing them makes The Codex level up!

codex_m.jpg
Hell yes!

up3_Baldr119a.jpg

The Codex reaches second level in thief class.

up3_Baldr120.jpg

Level up summary.
As for the unseen skills, hide in shadows will always be equal to move silently and both illusion dispelling and trap setting are ignored (we'll have spells for the first and I'm not a huge fan of the latter - but maybe will bump it up sometime in the future).

up3_Baldr121.jpg

The Codex' stats so far. Cave bear is the most powerful foe he's slain. It also looks that, we haven't used any spells so far.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I almost forgot I am a mage too.

You're not. Being able to cast one first-level spell per day does not make You a mage. Every paladin would laugh his ass off if You compared your magical abilities.

codex_m.jpg
Point taken. I think I'll stick to the bow and sword for now.

up3_Baldr122.jpg

We move on after a rest. We don't make two steps before running into the rest of the wild dog pack.

codex_m.jpg
What? I've just been camping here for, like, 32 hours and these dogs didn't attack me, even though they were there all the time?

Your point being?

codex_m.jpg
Oh, I don't know, maybe, that IT DOESN"T MAKE ANY FUCKING SENSE! :x

Just do Your thing...

up3_Baldr129.jpg

Sparing everyone a crapload of identical screenshots involving slashing poor dogs, it suffices to say that we win without a scratch.

codex_m.jpg
Nothing like morning warmup after a good rest.

Let's move on.

up3_Baldr130.jpg

Yay, gnolls...

codex_m.jpg
You seem a bit down, what's going on?

I just don't like killing dogs.

codex_m.jpg
Does it include gnolls?

Hell no!

codex_m.jpg
Let's slaughter them, then!

up3_Baldr137.jpg

Gnoll fighting, the abridged version: we kill them all.

codex_m.jpg
These guys are seriously weak.

Would You prefer giant spiders?

codex_m.jpg
Hey, I'm level 2 now. A force to be reckoned with.

Yes, level 2 thief. What does it give You in terms of combat abilities?

codex_m.jpg
Uh... 2 more hitpoints? Just shut up, already!

up3_Baldr139.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You fucker. You just had to talk about giant spiders, didn't you?

Do you suggest I somehow summoned them by mentioning the subject in a conversation? That doesn't make...

codex_m.jpg
Shut up and help me. I'm not getting killed by these things again.
up3_Baldr140.jpg

Taught by our previous experience with the spiders, we employ a slightly more sophisticated tactics than "slash them with a sword and hope for the best". Namely, we spike them with arrows while running arround Thalantyr's house.
Don't mind the forest-rapist NPC that's also pursuing The Codex. He's unimportant, as even the spiders ignored him completely (seriously, what the fuck?).

up3_Baldr141.jpg

It takes some time, but the spiders lose HP and we don't.

codex_m.jpg
And that's what counts.

up3_Baldr142.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Eat dirt!

up3_Baldr143.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headsh-shiiit, it 's still alive.

up3_Baldr144.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Finally!

Saving the game now!

After that, we continue our journey. There'a an abandoned house in the area.
up3_Baldr145.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Those chests seriously piss me off! :x

Stop kicking it already, just accept You're not skilled enough yet.

codex_m.jpg
I will be back!

up3_Baldr146.jpg

Soon after leaving the house, we encounter a pack of gnolls.

codex_m.jpg
Easy as pie!

up3_Baldr147.jpg

It turns out there are some elites among them. We are forced to use a healing potion.

codex_m.jpg
You owe me 100 GP, hyena cock sucker. Take that!

I know, he pissed You off, but You didn't have to splatter him all over the place.

codex_m.jpg
He'll now think twice before crossing me again.

Right.

up3_Baldr148.jpg

Yet another encounter with the gnolls.

up3_Baldr150.jpg

No sweat.

codex_m.jpg
I hope that was the last bunch of these guys here. I'm kinda bored with gnolls.

Turns out, it was, as we don't meet any more enemies.

up3_Baldr151.jpg

Time to do the thing that we actually came here for - sell some loot.

up3_Baldr152.jpg

codex_m.jpg
WANT!

31K gold? It will be a while before we can afford it. And there's no other way to acquire it, since Thalantyr is too badass to steal from.

codex_m.jpg
Guess we better start working on those store discounts.

We are at least able to sell all the excess loot. Thalantyr claims he only deals in magic items, but will actually buy basically any junk we bring him - including stuff like skeleton skulls and such. Yeah, I also think that doesn't make sense.

No High Hedge interior screenshot. Sorry.

up3_Baldr153.jpg

Area completed!
---------------------

Next time: We embark on some treasure hunting, ending up as the prey most of the time.

codex_m.jpg
Wait, what?

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
The reason for the over-powered monster spawns is because you're using BG Tutu which kinda brokeded the spawning system for BG1.

Though really, its just more xp for the reaping baby ;D

Last time I solod as a thief/fighter/mage I found myself falling back on web+composite bow and not even bothering to worry about much else. Once you get the paws of the cheetah (boots of haste) you're pretty much auto-win until you hit some higher level spell casters.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The reason for the over-powered monster spawns is because you're using BG Tutu which kinda brokeded the spawning system for BG1.

Yeah, I figured out as much. It's actually a good thing for me, since it adds some surprise factor to the game.

Next update is kind of long - longer than all previous ones joined together. I'll try to write and post it as soon as possible, but it might take some time.

Also, I am ripping of Paco's LP even more now - various details of deaths have been added to the initial post.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Yeah, quite a good read. I'm waiting for the more interesting enemies.

Hieromancer

Educated
Well done so far. Keep it up. :salute:

Quick question, are you going to be abusing the Basilisks for experience? Because a fighter/mage/thief has a pretty damn easy time with them, what with being able to cast protection from petrification on himself and then proceeding to kick their asses.

Anytime I play BG, I always find myself making a beeline straight there, especially if I'm soloing. Being cheap pays.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Zdzisiu said:
I'm waiting for the more interesting enemies.

Yeah, me too. There's a limited number of jokes I can make of killing gibberlings.

Hieromancer said:
Quick question, are you going to be abusing the Basilisks for experience? Because a fighter/mage/thief has a pretty damn easy time with them, what with being able to cast protection from petrification on himself and then proceeding to kick their asses.

Probably not. There's only a certain amount of cheese I can endure and there will be much abuse going on anyway. Also, basilisks are not very entertaining enemies - either they one-shot kill You, or get slaughtered.
That said, I'll wipe the whole area clean if The Codex wanders in there somehow.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #4: The Monkey Shit Hits The Fan

Allright, it seems we've done all the chores. The Codex has access to a store and is ready to fetch the Manual of Bodily Health.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, about that. I don't really feel prepared to fighting sirines just yet. I mean, with the crappy armor and no magic stuff.

What do You suggest then?

codex_m.jpg
I happen to know of an area, where I can get two items that would prove very useful. Let's do that first.

Whatever You say.

up4_Baldr156.jpg

This is our next stop, meaning that The Codex has chosen a big, hairy, smelly ogre over half a dozen naked, slender, blue-skinned chicks.

codex_m.jpg
Hey!

up4_Baldr157.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ah, since I can't see it for myself. Could You tell me what's this update's title?

Why do You want to know?

codex_m.jpg
Just a generic bad feeling.

I'm sure everything will be fine :smug:

up4_Baldr158.jpg

The Codex' stats upon entrance. It looks like killing those spiders paid off and his fighter level will rise pretty soon.

up4_Baldr159.jpg

Cave bear remains our most triumphant victory. Still no spells were used - I wonder how long we can keep this one up.

We move on.
up4_Baldr160.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Kobolds!

up4_Baldr161.jpg

They're defeated, of course, but The Codex has to quaff a healing potion during the fight (no screenshot of that, unfortunately).

codex_m.jpg
How about we go back and buy some more potions?

We just got here. We'll go back when You run out of them.

up4_Baldr162.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Enemy! Oh, it's just some gibberlings.

up4_Baldr165.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh shit. Oh shit.

up4_Baldr166.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah! Who's the badass?

up4_Baldr167.jpg

Of course, there are more...

up4_Baldr170.jpg

up4_Baldr172.jpg

...but a few well placed shots take care of them.

As expected, The Codex levels up.

codex_m.jpg
Even more badass now!

up4_Baldr173.jpg

Gaining a fighter level.

up4_Baldr174.jpg

12 HP now. That should reduce the one-shot deaths by at least 10%.

codex_m.jpg
Exa... Hey!

up4_Baldr175.jpg

Not much changed here.

up4_Baldr176.jpg

We encounter some bandits.

up4_Baldr177.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How's that possible. They weren't there 5 minutes ago.

Must have come hearing the sounds of fighting.

codex_m.jpg
Bullshit.

up4_Baldr179.jpg

They are easily picked out one at a time.

up4_Baldr180.jpg

Ok, ok, let's hear it and be done.

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up4_Baldr182.jpg

One of the bandits manages to wound The Codex lightly.

codex_m.jpg
But it's the last thing he does. Ever.

up4_Baldr185.jpg

The last one.

Bandits drop a lot of stuff, especially compared to what we've killed so far. The Codex' inventory is not large enough to contain all of it.

codex_m.jpg
I smell the sweet scent of money.

That might be something else smelling... Wait, are those scalps?

codex_m.jpg
Looks like it, yes.

That's gross! Why did You scalp these guys for?

codex_m.jpg
I did no such thing! The scalps were just lying there, beside them. Must've fallen of their heads, just like that.

Fallen. Of their heads. Uh-huh.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe they're all wearing toupees?

You mean bandits only accept bald people into their ranks?

codex_m.jpg
I was rather thinking in terms of occupational disease... And that's why they steal iron!

What? Why?

codex_m.jpg
They probably think it's some kind of cure for baldness.

Bandits od the Sword Coast: stealing iron as a cure for baldness. :thumbsup:

up4_Baldr190.jpg

We briefly go back to High Hedge, to sell the loot, killing a skeleton on the way (I didn't bother to ss it). I forget to check whether Thalantyr sells healing potions (he does).

codex_m.jpg
'Forget'. Yeah, right.

up4_Baldr191.jpg

Back on track. After another quick 16-hour rest we move on.

up4_Baldr192.jpg

Ah, yes, Elminster. Always in a hurry, so no one can exploit the hell out of the game and kill him.

codex_m.jpg
Man, would that be awesome or what?

The highlighted dialogue is eerily similar to every codexer's opinion about... every other codexer. There's also a typo in it. Shame on You, Bioware!

up4_Baldr193.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm not scared of you, wolf.

Telling that to him or Yourself?

codex_m.jpg
Just watch!

up4_Baldr194.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Off with it's head!

Wow, those additional 3 HP and 1 THAC0 really boosted Your confidence.

codex_m.jpg
Shut up.

up4_Baldr195.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Hey, what's that?

up4_Baldr196.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Look, a ring! I wonder what it does.

You're not really thinking anyone buys that "accidental find" attitude?

codex_m.jpg
Let's identify it. Incidentally, I have the needed spell right here.

up4_Baldr198.jpg

Our first magic item. The ever-useful Ring of Protection.

up4_Baldr199.jpg

The Codex' AC and saving throws with the ring equipped. There's still a lot of room for improvement.

up4_Baldr202.jpg

Some more gibberlings.

up4_Baldr203.jpg

They're no problem for The New And Improved Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Fall before my might!

up4_Baldr204.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahahaha! Slaughter! I love when they splatter into ludicrous gibs.

Your charm knows no bounds.

up4_Baldr207.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Gibberlings!

Shock! I totally did not expect that.

up4_Baldr209.jpg

codex_m.jpg
The bow and me take care of them without a sweat.

up4_Baldr210.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sucks to be them.

up4_Baldr213.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Gibberlings!

Not this time. These are smurfs... I mean xvarts. Although, there's not much difference.

codex_m.jpg
They're what? Farts?

up4_Baldr214.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oops... that's a lot of farts. Let's not fight them all at once.

up4_Baldr215.jpg

The Codex retreats to the edge of the map. Two xvarts follow.

up4_Baldr216.jpg

Make that three.

up4_Baldr217.jpg

They are quickly cut down.

codex_m.jpg
Fear the power of The Codex' sword!

We turn around to go back, but don't get far.
up4_Baldr220.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What? Where did those guys come from?

Respawning. We're probably saving the game too often.

up4_Baldr221.jpg

How many gibberlings does it take to change a lightbulb?

codex_m.jpg
What's a lightbulb?

up4_Baldr222.jpg

Some monkey-ass slashing.

codex_m.jpg
Never use that phrase again.

up4_Baldr223.jpg

But wait, there's more!

up4_Baldr228.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yaaawn... headshot.

Shh, don't even suggest boredom here, think about our viewability.
I hope the noble codexer audience is having great fun, because we certainly are! :thumbsup:

up4_Baldr229.jpg

Going back, picking out the xvarts that got lost along the way when chasing us earlier.

codex_m.jpg
These things must have really short attention spans. Or maybe, they're suffering from that condition the guy from Memento had.

up4_Baldr231.jpg

You know what Memento is, but a lightbulb doesn't ring a bell?

codex_m.jpg
I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Forget it.

up4_Baldr232.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Not these guys again. Are we still saving the game every ten seconds, or what?

Nope. Probably too often anyway.

up4_Baldr233.jpg

codex_m.jpg
At this rate, bow and me will run out of arrows sometime soon.

Wait. Did you hear the chime too?

codex_m.jpg
The what?

up4_Baldr234.jpg

The Codex levels up as a mage and as a thief.

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:
up4_Baldr236.jpg

Level up summary. Thieving skills will be increased according to the rules I explained in the previous update, at least for now.

up4_Baldr237.jpg

Cave bear rests safely on top of the pile of bodies made by The Codex. It seems that identify doesn't count as a spell, so still no favourite one.

up4_Baldr238.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Let's test my newly acquired skills on those gibberlings!

up4_Baldr239.jpg

Don't ask me what happened here. I honestly don't know. One moment we're fighting gibberlings like there's no tomorrow, next I see this screen. With 16 HP, The Codex wouldn't be one-shot by these guys. Two lucky 20's at a time?

Death count: 8

We reload.

codex_m.jpg
I feel like I just woke up from some horrible nightmare. Killed by gibberlings. Still gives me the creeps when I think about it.

Yeah. Just a dream.

up4_Baldr240.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Am I still dreaming?

Let's hope you're not.

up4_Baldr241.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Shit. Four at a time? A challenge for the sword and me!

up4_Baldr242.jpg

codex_m.jpg
That's what I'm talking about!

up4_Baldr243.jpg

One of the gibberlings drops a healing potion.

codex_m.jpg
Don't 'forget' to pick it up.

up4_Baldr244.jpg

I almost forgot we're still trailing back our xvart retreat route. We didn't make much progress recently.

up4_Baldr245.jpg

codex_m.jpg
In a geographical sense, maybe not. But we did make an important step on my way to ascension.

up4_Baldr247.jpg

One xvart later, we suffer a terrible loss. The sword breaks.

codex_m.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOO! THAT'S NOT TRUE! THAT"S IMPOSSIBLE!

This will seriously hinder our efforts. Thalantyr does not sell swords and no other stores are available just yet. Should have bought a spare back in Candlekeep.

codex_m.jpg
WHY? WHY, SWORD? WHY DID YOU HAVE TO GO LIKE THIS?

Are You finished?

codex_m.jpg
Finished? SWORD WAS MY FRIEND, YOU INSENSITIVE BEAST! How am I supposed to slaughter stuff without it?

Indeed, that may prove to be a problem. We'll have to rely on the bow for now. We could head back to High Hedge and hope the game spawns us some flinds, but that may take forever and killing them without a sword wouldn't be easy, so I decide to stay.

up4_Baldr248.jpg

Can we shoot these xvarts before they enter melee range?

up4_Baldr249.jpg

Nope.

codex_m.jpg
Damn farts!

Enemies enaged in melee with a ranged weapon get +4 to hit, while we get -4 to our rolls. This means the valid tactics is to retreat and shoot back.
So begins the happy tale of running around the woods and shooting little blue people. Thankfully, xvarts are almost impossible to miss and die from one shot.
I will refrain from commenting on the next few screenshots, providing a suitable soundtrack instead.
up4_Baldr250.jpg

up4_Baldr251.jpg

up4_Baldr252.jpg

up4_Baldr253.jpg

up4_Baldr254.jpg

up4_Baldr255.jpg

up4_Baldr256.jpg

All is grand until we run into a larger group.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe I should retreat a bit.

up4_Baldr257.jpg

To add insult to injury, we meet some kobolds on the way.

codex_m.jpg
Let's, uh, retreat some more.

up4_Baldr258.jpg

After not running away from various coloured midgets like a total pussy, The Codex manages to hold some ground and the western edge of the map.

up4_Baldr259.jpg

Desperate times call for desperate measures - we employ Perdue's sword as a weapon of last resort. The Codex' THAC0 sucks with it, but at least, enemies don't get their +4 bonus.

up4_Baldr260.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Die!

up4_Baldr261.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Two down! Wait, where did the third one go?

up4_Baldr262.jpg

Coming right this way.

up4_Baldr263.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Dodge this!

up4_Baldr264.jpg

We find another healing potion. We also take one of the xvart swords, since I'm not sure if Perdue's sword can break, and it would be a stupid way to lose a quest reward.

codex_m.jpg
I totally rock the boat, even without the sword.

up4_Baldr265.jpg

We return to killing xvarts that earlier forgot they were chasing The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Getting rid of them is a favor not only for the sword coast, but for intelligent thought everywhere.

up4_Baldr266.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm getting a slight feeling of deja vu.

up4_Baldr267.jpg

Apparently some gibberling decided to join the party.

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up4_Baldr268.jpg

Ok, make that a bajillion of gibberlings.

codex_m.jpg
I would really like to still have my sword right now.

up4_Baldr269.jpg

Yeah, it wouldn't hurt.

Death count: 9

Reloading.

up4_Baldr270.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Maybe if I tread carefully, I won't attract them all at once. First, shoot this kobold.

up4_Baldr271.jpg

Two gibberlings on twelve!

codex_m.jpg
Thank you for your valuable observation.

up4_Baldr272.jpg

Oh, look. Another kobold.

codex_m.jpg
Quite the timing he has, little bastard.

up4_Baldr273.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Stabbed!

up4_Baldr274.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Second one down.

You're doing surprisingly good.

up4_Baldr275.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Your turn, party crasher!

up4_Baldr276.jpg

Finishing up latest spawn of gibberlings.

up4_Baldr278.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sneak attack!

That wasn't a real sneak attack.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I was tired of waiting to say that, since we're not doing any stealth.

That's because You suck at stealth.

up4_Baldr280.jpg

Back on track.
These kobolds are actually life savers, since they provide us a supply of arrows. We could buy them in High Hedge, but Thalantyr only sells magical ones, which are quite expensive.

up4_Baldr281.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh, you've got to be fucking kidding me.

I hope You didn't grew too attached to Your ass, because this is the time to say goodbye to it.

codex_m.jpg
We'll see about that!

up4_Baldr282.jpg

We try shoot'n'run tactics, but the wolf is too fast.

up4_Baldr283.jpg

Dread wolf is hard to hit with the zero-profficiency short sword, so we blast it a few times with wand of magic missile. The Codex is bitten back, but the healing potion keeps him alive.

codex_m.jpg
So far so good!

up4_Baldr284.jpg

After two more missiles and a lucky stab, dread wolf falls dead!

codex_m.jpg
Who's the bitch now!?

After another quick, 80-hour rest we move on in hope of maybe reaching the ogre this time.
up4_Baldr285.jpg

Surprise, surprise. Gibberlings. This time the diseased version.

up4_Baldr288.jpg

up4_Baldr289.jpg

We're in no mood for jokes, so they all soon lie dead at The Codex' feet.

codex_m.jpg
I'm starting to lose my patience here. I swear to everything sacred, if I EVER see another gibberling in my life, I'm going to fucking KILL IT DEAD!

How would that be different from what You're already doing?

codex_m.jpg
Didn't I tell you to go and hang yourself at some point? Why are you still here?

up4_Baldr290.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fucking fuck! I honestly don't know which are more annoying, gibberlings or those fart things.

up4_Baldr291.jpg

Let me help You decide with a quote: 'Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!'.

codex_m.jpg
Ok, it's certain now. These things need to die.
up4_Baldr292.jpg

up4_Baldr293.jpg

It's a tough fight. We win, but at the cost of two healing potions and are forced to employ retreat tactics. It works, as usual, but makes us lose some ground yet again.

codex_m.jpg
Don't save the game! Don't give those fuckers any excuse to respawn.

I'm not saving the game. Well, ok, I did after the dread wolf, but other than that - no.

codex_m.jpg
You're not? We will lose all the progress if we run into another dread wolf!

What do You want me to do, then?

codex_m.jpg
Maybe we can take another shot at stealth.

up4_Baldr294.jpg

Hide in Shadows kicks in at first try. A good sign.

up4_Baldr295.jpg

We waste one xvart before it's even aware of our presence.

up4_Baldr296.jpg

The Codex' skills fail exactly at a moment of entering some xvarts' sight range.

up4_Baldr299.jpg

It does not end well.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

Yeah, should have been saving the game after all.

Death count: 10

Reloading.

Looking at the bright side: at least we have a healing potion back. Not sure what happened to the other one (backpack, maybe?).

codex_m.jpg
I'm inclined to return to running around highly visible but in armour, instead of naked and still visible.

up4_Baldr300.jpg

Another dread wolf awaits us three steps from the last save point.

up4_Baldr301.jpg

We repeat previous tactics, and it's succesful again, although The Codex has to use the potion.

codex_m.jpg
Is now a good time to go back and resupply?

Stop whining.

up4_Baldr302.jpg

Guess what? More gibberlings. I guess by dying, we gave them an excuse to respawn.

up4_Baldr305.jpg

5 arrows later, there are no more gibberlings. Nice going.

codex_m.jpg
The bow's patience has run out. Mine too.

up4_Baldr306.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fog of war! We're reaching unexplored part of the area!

Don't miss the xvarts.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, don't worry about that.

up4_Baldr307.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Here's your sword back!

The ogre should be around here somewhere.
up4_Baldr308.jpg

And indeed, he is.

codex_m.jpg
Ok. What's the plan?

Plan? You wanted to come here. I thought You had a plan of Your own.

codex_m.jpg
Are you fucking kidding me? I'm hurt, with no healing potions and no sword. Even no fucking magic missile wand!

Let's hope You're faster than him, then.
It turns out the ogre is equally fast to The Codex, which is not what I remembered. This means we're a little fucked.

up4_Baldr309.jpg

We still try shoot'n'run. It works, but just barely.

up4_Baldr310.jpg

We have to cover a lot of ground to get an oppurtunity for a shot, and The Codex doesn't hit every time.

codex_m.jpg
YOU try shooting while running away from 10 foot tall brute! We'll how that goes.

Now, now. You're doing fine. Keep runnin'.

codex_m.jpg
I'll wipe that smirk off your face someday!

up4_Baldr311.jpg

We reach our final stand location, and the ogre shows no will to die just yet. The Codex is force to pass him and run the other way.

codex_m.jpg
I so wish I had a few ranks in tumble right now!

up4_Baldr312.jpg

While still chased by the ogre, we run into this clusterfuck gibberling orgy.

codex_m.jpg
I am so going to die in a moment.

up4_Baldr313.jpg

Actually, no! Due to some clever manuevering and a lot of luck we are able to run away.

codex_m.jpg
TRAIN TO ZONE!

up4_Baldr314.jpg

We lose most of the pursuit on the way, including the ogre. Once again, The Codex ends up defending at the western border.

up4_Baldr315.jpg

codex_m.jpg
YES!

The bad news is, we're back to square one and have to stab through the whole area again.

up4_Baldr316.jpg

And the enemies have respawned, EVEN THOUGH WE DIDN'T EVEN SAVE THE FUCKING GAME!

codex_m.jpg
Calm down, you're losing it.

DAMN RIGHT I AM!

up4_Baldr320.jpg

At least killing the bandits nets us some loot, of which arrows are not least important.

up4_Baldr321.jpg

We start backtracking the breadcrumb gibberling trail, picking them out as they appear, one by one.
The other healing potion turned out to be in the backpack after all. Not all is lost!

up4_Baldr322.jpg

up4_Baldr329.jpg

up4_Baldr330.jpg

up4_Baldr331.jpg

codex_m.jpg
How many gibberlings are there on the Sword Coast anyway? It feels like I've killed about a million of them already.

There's always more.

up4_Baldr332.jpg

And all the empty spaces between gibberlings are filled by xvarts. The nature hates imbalance after all!

up4_Baldr334.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck! No! I refuse to be killed by xvarts! There must some a border drawn somewhere!

The Codex drinks a healing potion and an oil of speed. The remaining xvarts are killed.

codex_m.jpg
Quicktheogre! Let'shurrybeforetheaccelarationwearsoff!

What? Slow down.

up4_Baldr335.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Notime! Theritis!

up4_Baldr337.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yesdie!

up4_Baldr338.jpg

Before I manage to save the game, five steps to the south a bunch of xvarts appear. They weren't there 30 seconds ago. And I repeat - game was not saved. What. The. Fuck.

Luckily, The Hyperactive Codex manages to dispatch them without a scratch (sorry for lack of screenshots).

up4_Baldr339.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Let's prepare some spells and rest.

up4_Baldr341.jpg

codex_m.jpg
This should prove useful against sirines' arrows.

Do You still think coming here was the right idea?

codex_m.jpg
If you'd asked me fifteen minutes ago, I would've said no. But right now: HELL YES!

Damn munchkin.

up4_Baldr342.jpg

We've got what we've came for, but part of the area is still unexplored.
That of course means more gibberlings.

up4_Baldr343.jpg

Sparing everyone the details, they all die.

up4_Baldr344.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wow. A wolf. I thought gibberlings and farts have eaten them all.

I think they're more beef-types. Xvarts, at least.

up4_Baldr345.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Maybe I could eat it then?

What? Why? You don't have to eat at all.

codex_m.jpg
I don't?

Sure. This is Baldur's Gate, not some Ultima or Might & Magic.

codex_m.jpg
You mean, I don't have to eat, because I'm mighty, magical and ultimate? :smug:

What? No... Okay, yes. That's what I meant. Whatever, let's move on.

up4_Baldr346.jpg

Please, no. Not gibberlings AGAIN.

codex_m.jpg
At least they are easy to kill.

up4_Baldr347.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oops, one step too far.

up4_Baldr348.jpg

How IN HELL did that happen?

Death count: 11

We reload.

up4_Baldr349.jpg

Chased by gibberlings, we decide to use a chokepoint to our advantage.

up4_Baldr350.jpg

It seems to be working...

up4_Baldr351.jpg

...for a time.

codex_m.jpg
It's ok. As long as I fight one or two at a time, it should be fine.

up4_Baldr352.jpg

:rage:

Death count: 12

Reloading.

Ok, seriously, man. Could You please stop getting killed by gibberlings. It's rather embarassing.

codex_m.jpg
I want my sword back.

up4_Baldr353.jpg

We begin our third approach to the pack. If this one fails too, we'll prepare sleep spell and slaughter them while they lie unconscious.

up4_Baldr354.jpg

The pack is placed a little unfavorably for us - attacking in a wave, soon after eye contact has been made.

up4_Baldr355.jpg

After this kill, we start retreating.

codex_m.jpg
And not a moment too soon!

up4_Baldr356.jpg

They die, one by one.

up4_Baldr357.jpg

Of course, there's always more.

up4_Baldr359.jpg

Our replacement sword breaks.

codex_m.jpg
Good riddance!

Except that You're defenseless now.

codex_m.jpg
Not much of a change, really.

up4_Baldr361.jpg

Fortunately, there are plenty of spare swords lying around.

up4_Baldr364.jpg

Xvarts. We've all started to miss them, haven't we? :smug:

up4_Baldr367.jpg

xvarts -> dead xvarts: conversion complete!

up4_Baldr368.jpg

One of them dropped a potentially very useful spell scroll!

codex_m.jpg
Basilisks, here I come!

Not just yet.

up4_Baldr370.jpg

A couple of xvarts. We experience some unlucky rolls when shooting them and The Codex is forced to retreat.
up4_Baldr372.jpg

It ends badly.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, for fuck's sake!

up4_Baldr373.jpg

Death count: 13

Reloading the game.

codex_m.jpg
Did I just got killed by a fart?

No idea, actually. Either that, or gibberlings again.

codex_m.jpg
Don't really know which one would be worse.

Luckily I saved right before the xvart encounter.

up4_Baldr374.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm not moving from this fucking spot this time!

up4_Baldr378.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Dammit! Eat shit, blue cockfucker!

I'm hoping this was the last encounter here.

up4_Baldr379.jpg

Let me rephrase my previous statement: :rage:

up4_Baldr380.jpg

A quick quiz: how many gibberlings do You have to kill to level up?

codex_m.jpg
I don't know. How many?

That many.

codex_m.jpg
Oh yeah!

up4_Baldr381.jpg

We talk to this guy before leveling (don't ask why, I don't know either). He warns us about gibberlings being present in the area.

codex_m.jpg
NO FUCKING SHIT THEY'RE PRESENT IN THE AREA! I WOULD NEVER HAVE GUESSED THERE ARE GIBBERLINGS IN THIS AREA.:x

up4_Baldr382.jpg

After The Codex calms down, he levels up as a fighter.

up4_Baldr384.jpg

Level up summary. The new weapon proficiency point lands in two-handed weapons style.

up4_Baldr385.jpg

Sorry, dread wolves, cave bear was here first. The total number of kills rised by 99 since the previous level up.

codex_m.jpg
That's 60 gibberlings, 30 farts, an ogre, two dread wolves, one regular wolf and a few bandits.

You forgot some kobolds, I think.

up4_Baldr386.jpg

Hard to believe, but the first thing to do here after the level up is killing some gibberlings.

codex_m.jpg
Don't even get me started...

It's also the last thing to do in this area.
up4_Baldr388.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

codex_m.jpg
Ok, here's the new plan: let's leave and never come back here again. N.E.V.E.R.

Where do You want to go?

codex_m.jpg
How about wherever they sell swords I actually can use?

Ok. I might have a suggestion.
up4_Baldr389.jpg

--------------------------------------------

Next time: a breather episode.

codex_m.jpg
Does that mean I won't die?

You wish.

Last edited:

taplonaplo

Scholar
I don't know which is worse. Basic Tutu spawn with the ridiculous respawn rates, or BGSpawn mod with it's scaling shit. Altho 2 vampiric wolf lords that cast fear every other round and dispel magic and also summon some adds, one of which could oneshot any of my char with it's stupid high fire damage certainly explained why the common folk talk about how dangerous the roads are.

marooned

Liturgist
Just wanted to say that this LP is great. The benny hill reference cracked me up. And boy those are some annoying spamming respawns.

Keep it up!

Murk

Arcane
Jesus christ I think I'd have rage quit if I had to deal with that many gibberlings. Where the fuck is fireball when you need it.

Get a wand of fire asap man ;(

Hieromancer

Educated
Oh Lord, you have patience far beyond mine. Keep it up, this is a really entertaining read.

Another question, by the way, will either Drizzt and/or Shandalar survive the end of the game?

taplonaplo

Scholar
Hieromancer said:
Another question, by the way, will either Drizzt and/or Shandalar survive the end of the game?
is there actually a way to defeat shandalar without cheap shots like wad of paralyze?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
taplonaplo said:
Hieromancer said:
is there actually a way to defeat shandalar without cheap shots like wad of paralyze?

So using items and spells is 'cheap shots' now? How wondrous.

Hieromancer

Educated
Malakal said:
So using items and spells is 'cheap shots' now? How wondrous.

My thoughts exactly. I'm a connoisseur of being a cheap bastard in the BG games, but freezing someone, even someone very powerful, by using an item exactly as it's meant to be used doesn't really seem all that cheap. Yes, Shandalar clearly wasn't intended to be killable what with his -20 AC and everything, but the method itself doesn't seem very off.

taplonaplo

Scholar
Why not just ctrl y it then? Saves you the trouble of reloading till you get that 1 on his saving roll, and the battle plays out pretty much the same anyway.

If you webspam him while engaged it's clean. If you reload till you get your paralyzation rod to hit him before he's hostile, you are cheap shotting it.

Hieromancer

Educated
taplonaplo said:
Why not just ctrl y it then? Saves you the trouble of reloading till you get that 1 on his saving roll, and the battle plays out pretty much the same anyway.

If you webspam him while engaged it's clean. If you reload till you get your paralyzation rod to hit him before he's hostile, you are cheap shotting it.

Funny thing is, he actually doesn't turn hostile if you attempt to paralyze him with the rod, so you can shoot him as many times as you want until it sticks. Killing him on iron man is very doable, and I've done it before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom