Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #22: Cloakwood Deaths, part II: Spiders

Our epic journey through Cloakwood Forest shall continue, but first...

up22_Baldr000.jpg

...since the last update was decent loot-wise, we go back to FAI to sell some stuff and rest in luxury one more time, before meeting one hell lot of spiders.

codex_m.jpg
I'm not very fond of spiders, to be honest.

Let me say it this way: You certainly won't become a Spider-Man fan after this update.

up22_Baldr001.jpg

Entering second Cloakwood area. The one with spiders. Let's put some suitable music in the background...

codex_m.jpg
I like the video too.

up22_Baldr002.jpg

The journey is rather long and eventful, which is a good thing, because it lets us relax a bit before we encounter all the spiders.

codex_m.jpg
Wait. Are you going to mention spiders every time you open your mouth today?

Yup. Spiders.

codex_m.jpg
I am going to completely ignore that.

up22_Baldr003.jpg

The Codex' area-entry stats. No spiders here. Yet.

up22_Baldr005.jpg

Almost immediately, we meet this whiny guy. Unsurprisingly, he tells us about spiders.

codex_m.jpg
Yes. We will bring you your brother's corp- I mean, rescue him, of course. Just you wait.

up22_Baldr006.jpg

We move west and... encounter a spider.

codex_m.jpg
I didn't see that coming.

up22_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Chelli... Chelica... Chelicerae-shot...? Fuck. Headshot!

Spiders 0:1 The Codex

up22_Baldr008.jpg

A trap. No doubt, set by spiders.

up22_Baldr009.jpg

A few steps west, we meet a fuckload of spiders. Luckily, The Codex is hidden in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
I'd rather not fight them. Let's just move on.

On the contrary, I have an idea involving these spiders and a ring of animal friendship.

up22_Baldr010.jpg

We retreat a bit and use the ring one of the spiders, to no effect.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up22_Baldr012.jpg

The spider is killed.

up22_Baldr013.jpg

We move southward, and to out surprise, there's no spiders there, only ettercaps.

codex_m.jpg
That's not much of a change...

up22_Baldr014.jpg

Of course, spiderless-ness doesn't last long.

codex_m.jpg
Just passing through, don't mind me.

up22_Baldr015.jpg

We pass some more spiders.

up22_Baldr016.jpg

And more spiders.

up22_Baldr018.jpg

And even more spiders.

codex_m.jpg
This is getting silly.

up22_Baldr019.jpg

Since we are hiding and detecting traps at the same time, I was expecting one of these skills to fail at one moment. Of course, they both failed, and one of the spiders noticed us.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up22_Baldr020.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I don't feel so good...

It's a phase spider, which means it immediately teleports to The Codex and bites him in the balls. Twice. Our hero is poisoned. We'll have to try our 'heal thyself' technique again.

up22_Baldr022.jpg

And it fails, interrupted by the spider, or his poison.

codex_m.jpg
I'm fucked.

You're fucked.

up22_Baldr023.jpg

Fucked by a spider.

Death count: 82

Spiders 1:1 The Codex

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I just remembered, we were supposed to take the cow-cure from FAI when selling the loot.

Right. I forgot. Also: spiders.

up22_Baldr024.jpg

The Codex' hide in shadows is quite reliable in it's unreliability. It fails again at a similar time, and we're forced to duel the same spider.

codex_m.jpg
This is cosmic justice for sure. I'll kill it dead!

up22_Baldr025.jpg

We start by trying the ring of animal friendship on the spider. It doesn't work.

codex_m.jpg
Shit!

up22_Baldr026.jpg

The Codex is poisoned by the spider again, but this time manages to pull off the self-healing. Cosmic justice indeed.

codex_m.jpg
It probably doesn't matter. I'm about to die anyway.

up22_Baldr027.jpg

But no! Cosmic justice interferes one more time and the spider lays dead moments later.

codex_m.jpg
HELL YEAH SWORD!

Spiders 1:2 The Codex

up22_Baldr028.jpg

We cast some CLW and try to rest, only to be interrupted by another spider.

codex_m.jpg
Geezus fuck, and I thought those fart things were annoying!

up22_Baldr029.jpg

The spider uses standard spider tactic of poisoning our hero with spider poison. We're out of slow poison, so this is goobye, yeah.

codex_m.jpg
I'll see you in hell.

up22_Baldr030.jpg

Death count: 83

Spiders 2:2 The Codex

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
So, this is hell. It's even worse than I imagined. You must be the caretaker?

Very funny. Let's move, we've got spiders to kill.

up22_Baldr031.jpg

The second rest attempt is successful. No spiders!

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

up22_Baldr032.jpg

We move on and trigger the spider trap again. We decide to wait it out, since the game cannot be saved while some spells are active. Web is one of these spells.

up22_Baldr033.jpg

After that, we want resume our favourite activity: passing spiders while hidden. Unfortunately, these two guard the entrance to Centeol's lair, so they have to be dispatched.

codex_m.jpg
Just fucking great...

up22_Baldr034.jpg

We start by trying to charm one of the spiders with the ring of animal friendship (fuck, this is a long name, I will refer to it as RoAF from now). Of course, it doesn't work.

codex_m.jpg
I'm beginning to think that this ring is broken.

up22_Baldr035.jpg

I forgot to cast Mirror Image before facing the spider in melee, so The Codex gets poisoned again.

codex_m.jpg
How could we have forgotten that!? :x

up22_Baldr036.jpg

Slow poison fails. Spider wins.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up22_Baldr039.jpg

Death count: 84

Spiders 3:2 The Codex

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I am very upset about the fact that I am unable to fight these spiders effectively.

up22_Baldr040.jpg

We try to befriend the spider with RoAF again. To no avail.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe they don't count as animals and are just unholy abominations!

up22_Baldr041.jpg

We instead opt for despiderification, but this time cast Mirror Image to aid us in the ask.

up22_Baldr042.jpg

Spiders 3:3 The Codex

up22_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah, sword! Keep it up!

Spiders 3:4 The Codex

up22_Baldr045.jpg

codex_m.jpg
WTF? Didn't I just kill you!?

Indeed, our eforts were futile. Spiders guarding Centeol's lair have respawned almost immediately.

codex_m.jpg
This must be some kind of sick joke.

up22_Baldr046.jpg

We treat the spider retaliation force with Color-Spray, since two at a time might be too much for The Codex and his two remaining mirror images.

up22_Baldr047.jpg

Spiders 3:6 The Codex

codex_m.jpg
Getting ahead of the fuckers. :smug:

up22_Baldr048.jpg

Not wanting to rest again before antering the spider queen lair, we are only able to cast Blur for protection. Better than nothing.

up22_Baldr049.jpg

The Codex enters while hidden in shadows, so that the situation doesn't turn into a clusterfuck right away. We will now move to a relatively safe spot on the giant spiderweb and try to charm Centeol with Algernon's cloak.

up22_Baldr050.jpg

A lot of things happen very fast. We cast Charm on Centeol. It works and she is almost immediately gangraped to death by previously-offscreen sword spiders. After killing her, they (and some other spiders) move on against The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Okay, whose idea was it to come here anyway?

up22_Baldr051.jpg

We try to weaken the spider mob by casting Skull Trap. This is always tricky, as we want to hit as many of them as possible, but set off far enough not to hurt The Codex. Some spell area markers would be useful at moments like this. Suddenly I feel urge to play ToEE.

codex_m.jpg
Try to focus there! Okay?

up22_Baldr052.jpg

My calculations are wrong, and The Codex ends up as the most damaged by the Skull Trap. None of the spiders is even close to his score .

codex_m.jpg

up22_Baldr053.jpg

We decide to run away retreat outside, only to be ambushed by a sword spider.

codex_m.jpg

up22_Baldr054.jpg

We try to charm the spider with the RoAF, but of course it doesn't work.

codex_m.jpg

up22_Baldr055.jpg

Death Count: 85

Spiders 4:6 The Codex

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I fucking hate spiders.

up22_Baldr056.jpg

Second attempt at clearing out spider lair. Hide in shadows fails...

codex_m.jpg
A fucking promising start.

up22_Baldr057.jpg

We try to charm Centeol again, while a fuckload of spiders is swarming to gangrape The Codex.

up22_Baldr058.jpg

Algernon's cloak fails, but some scripting bug occurs and Centeol doesn't take any action, just sitting there and watching the forced spider group sex. We're not beneath exploiting random bugs, so we continue.

codex_m.jpg
Skull Trap for you, eight-legged freaks!

up22_Baldr059.jpg

We cast Skull Trap at a larger distance now. Centeol takes some damage. Spiders get their share of pain too, while The Codex is spared.

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

up22_Baldr064.jpg

When there's only one spider left, we try to charm him with RoAF. No effect.

codex_m.jpg
Surprising.

up22_Baldr065.jpg

The spider is killed instead. This victory has cost half of The Codex' HP, so we heal before continuing.

Spiders 4:10 The Codex

up22_Baldr066.jpg

We clear the edge of fog of war, only to reveal another spider.

codex_m.jpg
Ettercap.

Whatever.

up22_Baldr067.jpg

It's killed, but not without trouble. Ettrcaps don't hit as hard as spiders, but are much faster and more accurate.

up22_Baldr069.jpg

I try to save, forgetting that spider-queen is still alive (can't save with hostiles in sight), so we kill her.

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up22_Baldr070.jpg

We are a bit careless and reveal a sword spider and an ettercap at the same time.

codex_m.jpg
Not good.

up22_Baldr071.jpg

We can't possibly kill them both, so I try charming the spider with RoAF.

codex_m.jpg
I am so dead.

up22_Baldr072.jpg

Death count: 86

Spiders 5:10 The Codex

codex_m.jpg
Maybe this ass-sucking ring only works on non-hostile animals?

Or maybe giant spiders are outside its scope...

up22_Baldr073.jpg

We manage to lure only the ettercap this time. Without his spider friend, it is dispatched surprisingly easily.

up22_Baldr074.jpg

Another try at RoAF, although I have pretty much given up hope at it working on the spiders.

up22_Baldr075.jpg

Sword spiders are very deadly to characters not protected by a high (or rather: low) AC, such as The Codex. They hit as hard as standard huge spiders (maybe harder) and as fast as ettercaps (maybe faster). We can only hope of defeating it in melee when protected by some spells.

up22_Baldr076.jpg

Since we're out of spells and can't rest here, instead we paralyze the spider using the wand.

up22_Baldr077.jpg

Spiders 5:11 The Codex

up22_Baldr079.jpg

We do the same with the second sword spider. It is quickly killed afterwards.

Spiders 5:12 The Codex

codex_m.jpg
Finally, we're making some progress here!

up22_Baldr081.jpg

Time to collect our hard-earned spider-loot.

codex_m.jpg
I think I'm in love.

up22_Baldr082.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yup, definitely. :love: :love: :love:

up22_Baldr083.jpg

Spider's Bane gives The Codex free action status, as well as providing +2 bonus to THAC0 and damage. Very nice.

codex_m.jpg
As for my previous swords, I'll just leave both brothers here. I'm sure they'll find their own way back to FAI. Bye, guys. Take care.

up22_Baldr084.jpg

We leave the lair, only to encounter the sword spider that killed The Codex before.

up22_Baldr085.jpg

We don't even bother with RoAF anymore, hitting the spider with wand of paralyzation right away. It is easily dispatched afterwards. Unfortunately, it was the wand's last charge.

codex_m.jpg
It will be remember and missed. :salute:

I just hope we don't meet any more sword spiders, now that we don't have it.

Spiders 5:13 The Codex

up22_Baldr087.jpg

We rest to heal from the spider-induced wounds.

codex_m.jpg
Some of them were ettercap-induced. Just saying.

up22_Baldr088.jpg

We try some exploring, but quickly have to retreat to the resting spot, chased by a phase spider.

codex_m.jpg
When it comes to these guys, chased = caught.

up22_Baldr089.jpg

We hit the spider with wand of frost. 16 damage after a successful save isn't bad, but I still say this wand is severely underpowered.

up22_Baldr090.jpg

We also cast Mirror Image to reduce the chance of getting dumbkilled by the spider's poison.

up22_Baldr091.jpg

Spiders 5:14 The Codex

codex_m.jpg
:smug:

up22_Baldr092.jpg

Stealth tends to fail us at the worst possible moments. Here, close to two giant spiders.

up22_Baldr093.jpg

We lure the spiders to a more suitable defense position, gaining some distance in the process. Also, another web-trap is triggered.

up22_Baldr094.jpg

Instead of spiking the spiders with arrows, which would have made sense, I waste the time for another RoAF use attempt. It is as successful as always.

codex_m.jpg
:x

up22_Baldr095.jpg

Luckily, giant (as in, not-phase, not-sword) spiders aren't that tough.

Spiders 5:16 The Codex

up22_Baldr096.jpg

We risk more stealth (it really likes to fail during the day, working much better at night) and manage to pass another bunch of spiders.

up22_Baldr099.jpg

Two more spiders guarding some pointless spot. While we try to pass them, another trap is triggered, but thanks to Spider's Bane we can fart on it.

up22_Baldr106.jpg

Stealth works pretty well while we move through some empty part of the map. It only decides to fail at this spot. Perfect timing. But hey, we should look at the bright side. At least there are no spiders here.

codex_m.jpg
I feel so relieved right now I could fly to heaven on my newly-grown angel wings! Except not.

up22_Baldr107.jpg

I decide there is sense in trying to defeat the spider-wannabes (yes, I know...) and we begin by skulltrapping them. After that it's a lot of running back and forth, and shooting back, both with arrows and frost wand charges.

up22_Baldr109.jpg

It goes reasonably well (we manage to kill one ettercap, others are badly injured/near-death) up until this moment, when some random spider decides to spawn on our retreat route.

codex_m.jpg
This can't be good.

up22_Baldr110.jpg

Death count: 87

Spiders 6:16 The Codex

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
I have no words left. Let's just move on.

up22_Baldr111.jpg

Reload takes us back to this spot. Previously empty (emptied by us?) part of the map is now spider-infested.

up22_Baldr112.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

We finally show some reason and don't even bother with RoAF anymore. Spider dies.

up22_Baldr113.jpg

Looks like I've deleted wrong screenshot here. This pretty little picture developed into something horrible seconds later, when The Codex' stealth skills failed (again, right here) and we ended up being chased by a fuckload of spiders and ettercaps.

up22_Baldr114.jpg

We retreat all the way to area entrance spot. Spiders are right behind us.

up22_Baldr115.jpg

A fucking lot of spiders. Not mentiong ettercaps.

codex_m.jpg
Somehow, I don't see myself living through this.

up22_Baldr116.jpg

Death count: 88

Spiders 7:16 The Codex

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I'm done. I don't think I want to fight spiders anymore. Can we do something about it? I would really, really, REALLY welcome that.

We can. Something we should have done fifty fucking spiders ago.

up22_Baldr117.jpg

We use the spider-repellant.

up22_Baldr120.jpg

I'm not in the mood to even screenshot any more spiders, so here: area completed.

up22_Baldr118.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You know what? Your fucking quest sucked ass! I'm glad your brother is dead! I wish you both were!

up22_Baldr119.jpg

We don't even get any reward. Fucking spiders.
-----------------------------------------------

Next time: One hell lot less spiders, for sure!

Last edited:

Orgasm

Barely Literate
When you are at Sarevoks, cheat summon some spiders. Lets see, how long he lasts...

taplonaplo

Scholar
There's no need of that, he has the dagger of venom already :P.
I imagine sarevok will be an epic hit and run or invisibility potion chugging backstab fest.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty much rape. And those were pathetic spiders. I foresee a lot more coming.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There should probably be fewer posts per page in the Playground compared to other subforums. Say, 20 instead of 25.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, ironyuri sure likes bumpin'

Thanks to all, working on an update. Should appear in a couple of hours.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #23: Cloakwood Deaths, part III - Wyverns

up23_Baldr000.jpg

Last update did not net us any significant loot, so there's no point in going back to FAI. We will be moving directly to the next area of Cloakwood.

up23_Baldr001.jpg

The journey is long and uneventful.

codex_m.jpg
Just like this whole LP.

up23_Baldr002.jpg

Area entry stats. I haven't noticed when, but The Codex' favourite weapon switched from bow & arrow to two-handed sword. I wonder what is the basis of that (damage dealt?).

codex_m.jpg
Nobody cares.

up23_Baldr003.jpg

We start sneaking through the forest, and quickly reach Eldoth (a joinable NPC), who picked one damn good spot to stand around, since if we want to talk to him we'll have to kill those dread wolves.

codex_m.jpg
Why do the wolves ignore him anyway? It doesn't make any fucking sense! He should be torn apart by their teeth right now!

up23_Baldr004.jpg

Dread wolves are killed, but they manage to hurt The Codex a little.

codex_m.jpg
A little? This bite mark is the size of a pineapple!

up23_Baldr005.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sure, give us some booze. I'm sure sword & bow like to take a drink from time to time.

up23_Baldr006.jpg

The only thing semi-useful Eldoth has is 10 arrows.

codex_m.jpg
Very interesting. Can we go now?

up23_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, yeah. Fuck off.

up23_Baldr008.jpg

A rest attempt is interrupted by a spi-

codex_m.jpg
Don't say that! After last update I don't want to hear the s-word ever again!

Not saying it won't make them go away, you know.

codex_m.jpg
I don't fucking care. You overdid it, now suffer.

Whatever. Anyway, we somehow managed to rest while hidden (?), so the ARACHNID doesn't attack immediately.

up23_Baldr009.jpg

We sneak behind him and backstab the fucker. It dies.

codex_m.jpg
We backstabbed a spider? That's fucking silly.

You just said spi-

codex_m.jpg
I can say that, if I want to. You are forbidden.

up23_Baldr010.jpg

Another attempt at a rest, and an identical result. This time we're not hidden.

codex_m.jpg
Of course. It's a useful tactic, so why would we use it? Dumbfuck.

up23_Baldr011.jpg

We blind it to make sure The Codex doesn't get poisoned.

up23_Baldr012.jpg

It's not much of a threat deprived of sight. I wonder what a zoologist would have to say about that.

up23_Baldr013.jpg

The rule of three seems to be in power. Rest is successful this time.

up23_Baldr014.jpg

Line up, noble audience for it is time for our stealth-trip through the forest. A little to the right, we can see a majestic cave bear.

codex_m.jpg
Still equals free XP, but even free stuff isn't appealing when you can't do anything with it.

up23_Baldr015.jpg

And another cave bear, who has replaced dread wolves at the spawn point near Eldoth.

up23_Baldr016.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I don't really know what you're talking about, man. Haven't been following the plot much. Given these two answers, I'm guessing: enemies.

up23_Baldr017.jpg

It seems we have passed some kind of test. That's... good?

up23_Baldr018.jpg

I guess it is. We get this potion.

up23_Baldr019.jpg

Our stealth trek continues. Except when STEALTH FAILS.

codex_m.jpg

up23_Baldr020.jpg

Luckily, tasloi aren't much of a problem.

codex_m.jpg
They are, however, a fucking nuisance.

up23_Baldr021.jpg

I really don't get it. Why does stealth work fine when we move through empty wilderness, but it fails EVERY FUCKING TIME WE TRY TO SNEAK BY SOMETHING.

codex_m.jpg
It's your fault. Should have invested more in my hide in shadows/move silently skills.

We'll talk about that when dealing with traps in the Iron Throne mine.

up23_Baldr022.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! Fucking dog! Die!

up23_Baldr023.jpg

Another majestic bear is passed on our journey.

codex_m.jpg
Notice how stealth also works well every time we pass a cave bear.

Right. It seems to fail the most near annoying enemies. Why.

up23_Baldr024.jpg

And another one cave bear...

codex_m.jpg
I now see that the worries about bear extinction in the Swoard Coast were greatly exaggerated.

up23_Baldr025.jpg

Some lone wolf.

codex_m.jpg
Yaaaaaaawn.

up23_Baldr026.jpg

We reach a cave of some sort.

codex_m.jpg
Which I will no doubt suicidally enter.

up23_Baldr027.jpg

Situation here smells like trouble, so we cast Mirror Image.

codex_m.jpg
What tipped you off? The angry winged creature with poisonous fangs behind that guy?

up23_Baldr028.jpg

All dialogue branches lead to the same result (of course), so we'll just choose the shortest one.

up23_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wyvern-training? That's how you call it, you sick, zoophiliac fucker!?

up23_Baldr030.jpg

Not being sure how much of a threat is this guy, I decide to paralyze him. In the meantime, wyverns bite off some parts of The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Very fucking funny.

up23_Baldr031.jpg

It seems that wyverns were the bigger threat here after all.

codex_m.jpg
YOU THINK!?

up23_Baldr032.jpg

We cast Blur to increase our chances (as well as Cure Light Wounds seconds later).

up23_Baldr033.jpg

But it doesn't save The Codex from getting poisoned...

codex_m.jpg
I'll just heal myself and-

up23_Baldr034.jpg

Heal yourself. Good idea.

Death count: 89

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I think we should put a little more effort into this fight.

Seconded.

up23_Baldr035.jpg

Mirror Image and Blur are cast before entering the cave.

up23_Baldr037.jpg

And the result is much better this time.

codex_m.jpg
No more sodomy for you!

up23_Baldr038.jpg

Peter of the North dropped some magic arrows for us.

codex_m.jpg
Not that we're using them much.

up23_Baldr039.jpg

We use the cave as a safe resting spot before moving on.

up23_Baldr041.jpg

The Codex sneaks by some people and gets to some kind of tree-house.

codex_m.jpg
Awesome! I've always wanted to have one of those!

up23_Baldr042.jpg

We find some nice supplies inside.

codex_m.jpg
Cow-cure! YES!

up23_Baldr043.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What's with the fucking attitude? Are all druids crazy fanatics?

These are Shadow Druids. That might matter.

up23_Baldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Mwahahaha! Slaughter!

codex_m.jpg
Amarande did not wear a helmet. A decision he would probably now regret. If he wasn't dead, that is.

up23_Baldr045.jpg

Potion of endurance is the best loot we find here. I'll probably forget to use it anyway, but it can be sold for 250 gold.

up23_Baldr046.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What's your fucking druidic problem? Do you guys think you own these woods, or what?

Thiking they own the woods is kind of the point of being a Shadow Druid.

codex_m.jpg
Oh.

up23_Baldr047.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Well, this one druid here is now OWNED himself.

up23_Baldr048.jpg

One of the Shadow Druids is a joinable NPC called Faldorn.

codex_m.jpg
Really? Is she hot?

up23_Baldr049.jpg

See for yourself.

codex_m.jpg
Druids suck.

up23_Baldr050.jpg

A club and a leather armor. I think the times of party recruitment netting us healing potion are long gone.

codex_m.jpg
Noticed it just now? They've been gone for more than fifteen updates!

up23_Baldr051.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I'll remember. To stay the fuck away from druids.

up23_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Geezus, another one? Can't you guys give me a fucking break?

up23_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You asked for it!

Fortunately, Isephia was the last encounter here.

up23_Baldr054.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Well, that was rather short.

Indeed. And since we're on a roll here, let's take on next area too. But first - back to FAI to resupply.

up23_Baldr055.jpg

On the way there, we are waylaid by two wyverns.

codex_m.jpg
Considering I was ripped to shreds by two baby wyverns, I'd say this is not good.

up23_Baldr056.jpg

We start with Mirror Image.

up23_Baldr057.jpg

This turns out to one of those encounters with surprise inside. Two giant sp- uh, arachnids appear out of nowhere after a few seconds.

codex_m.jpg
Remember when I said that this probably isn't good? Well, it certainly isn't getting much better!

up23_Baldr058.jpg

After a few seconds more, the situation is dire.

codex_m.jpg
What a fucking surprise! I so thought I am going to live through this. Really.

up23_Baldr059.jpg

Nevertheless, we give antidote a try.

up23_Baldr060.jpg

It doesn't help much.

Death count: 90

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I'll tell you something. Mirror Image - ok, but Blur? Kinda sucks. There are better 2nd level spells to utilize. I demand a change.

Ok. Next time we rest. If I remember.

codex_m.jpg
That's one hell of an IF.

up23_Baldr066.jpg

On our next travel attempt, we are waylaid by a bunch of ettercaps.

codex_m.jpg
This is theoretically winnable, at least.

up23_Baldr067.jpg

Mirror Image is a standard opener for some time now.

up23_Baldr068.jpg

We move to a strategic position, where we can avoid being attacked by all enemies at once.

codex_m.jpg
A position I will also be unable to escape from. Can't have everything, I guess.

up23_Baldr069.jpg

We manage to kill two ettercaps. When we're about to be assfucked by remaining two, The Codex drinks a potion of invisibility and retreats.

up23_Baldr070.jpg

There is also a trap here. Spid- I mean our magic sword allows us to ignore it.

codex_m.jpg
Good that you haven't forgotten the s-word rule.

up23_Baldr071.jpg

We lure ettercaps to us one at a time. The first one goes down rather easily.

up23_Baldr072.jpg

The other one provides more of a challenge.

up23_Baldr073.jpg

But is eventually defeated too.

up23_Baldr074.jpg

We reach FAI and do some shopping and resting. We also take the one stashed antidote with us.

codex_m.jpg
Finally!

up23_Baldr075.jpg

Time to explore Cloakwood area #4.

up23_Baldr076.jpg

The journey there is..

codex_m.jpg
Yes, we all know: long and uneventful. Let's move on.

up23_Baldr077.jpg

Area entry stats, if someone's interested.

codex_m.jpg
Nobody is! Let's move on!

up23_Baldr078.jpg

We start sneaking through. Soon we pass a hostile hamadryad.

codex_m.jpg
What exactly is the difference beteween dryads and hamadryads?

Hamadryads are... hostile?

codex_m.jpg
You are fucking useless

up23_Baldr079.jpg

Moving by some wolf.

codex_m.jpg
Alright! That's IT! No more of that shit! Nobody fucking cares about random wolves I pass in the woods! From now on you're only going to show encounters that MATTER! Understood!?

But...

codex_m.jpg
DID YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND ME!?

Ok. I will indulge you, but only if I'm allowed to say the s-word again.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck! Whatever! Deal!

up23_Baldr080.jpg

We approach wyverns cave. The one Coran told us about.

codex_m.jpg
Let me guess. There are wyverns inside?

up23_Baldr081.jpg

No. There's a fuckload of wyverns inside.

codex_m.jpg
Not that we expected anything else, but how am I supposed to defeat them?

Wand of fear.

up23_Baldr082.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Okaaay, and if it doesn't work?

Run the fuck away!

up23_Baldr083.jpg

We leave and enter once more. This time, hidden in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
Kinda tight here. Excuse me, can you move your wing a bit? Passing through...

up23_Baldr084.jpg

Only one baby wyvern is left guarding the treasure stash.

codex_m.jpg
Come here, little one! Uncle Codex is going to teach you a lesson OF PAIN!

up23_Baldr085.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck, this thing bites hard! Mirror Image!

Even baby wyverns are not to be underestimated. Luckily, The Codex was not poisoned.

up23_Baldr086.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah, Spider's Bane! Good job!

up23_Baldr087.jpg

Wyvern treasure is not very impressive. Another wand of fear is nice to have, but the rest - kinda meh.

codex_m.jpg
All the better I didn't have to fight those fucking wyverns for it.

up23_Baldr088.jpg

Cavern explored!

codex_m.jpg
Thanks for pointing that out. Nobody noticed.

up23_Baldr090.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yaaaaawn!

What? Bored again? I omitted screenshots with tasloi!

codex_m.jpg
Nah. Just tired. How about a rest?

Better not. You have a much better chance of hiding from enemies fatigued at night than rested during the day.

codex_m.jpg
Easy for you to say. You don't have to wander thrugh the forest half-asleep.

Don't get all whiny. It only gives you -1 to rolls. You can live with it.

up23_Baldr092.jpg

The Fatigued Codex fails a stealth check while we pass a phase spider. We can't escape these, so we have to fight it.

up23_Baldr093.jpg

We're a little short on spells and only have Blur at our disposal, when it comes to defense.

codex_m.jpg
Should have rested, as I said.

up23_Baldr094.jpg

And unfortunately, Blur doesn't save The Codex from being poisoned.

codex_m.jpg
Quick! Cow-cure!

up23_Baldr095.jpg

I would like to point out that it's still 2:1 for wyverns when it comes to death causes in this update, so the title is valid.

Death count: 91

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Once again, it is proven that Blur alone sucks assholes, while combined with Mirror Image it is about as effective as Mirror Image itself. Or maybe you are still not convinced?

Alright, as You wish. No more Blur.

up23_Baldr096.jpg

Some baby wyverns. We sure hope we don't get 'Hide In Shadows Failed' now.

codex_m.jpg
You can say that again.

up23_Baldr097.jpg

codex_m.jpg
There are some people here! Guards? What the fuck are they guarding in the middle of the forest?

Want to reveal yourself and ask?

codex_m.jpg
I somehow doubt they would provide interesting conversation.

up23_Baldr099.jpg

The Codex' stealth fails when we pass through a bridge. A wraith spider spots our hero.

codex_m.jpg
Rape spider? That doesn't sound good...

up23_Baldr100.jpg

What's worse, we run into wyverns on the other side of the bridge.

codex_m.jpg
Maybe I'll just shoot myself in the head to save us all some time?

up23_Baldr101.jpg

Wand of fear doesn't affect any of the enemies. We are also out of spells. Our only hope is the decent defense spot.

up23_Baldr102.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes! Die!

Spider was already wounded, so we kill it off without much trouble.

up23_Baldr103.jpg

Wyverns are the problem here. They bite like crazy and have a rather high chance of poisoning our hero. The Codex saves himself with an antidote.

up23_Baldr104.jpg

For a few seconds, at least.

Death count: 92

codex_m.jpg
When was the last time we saved the game?

Well... You will have to repeat some stuff. Sorry.

up23_Baldr106.jpg

This time, when we pass the Iron Throne guards I mentioned earlier, The Codex' stealth fails while we're still in sight range of one of them.

codex_m.jpg
Unlucky.

Yeah, I know, we almost made it.

codex_m.jpg
I meant him.

up23_Baldr107.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up23_Baldr109.jpg

We reach the bridge unnoticed, although stealth fails right after passing by the wraith spider.

codex_m.jpg
Not that the spider was the problem last time.

True.

up23_Baldr110.jpg

These were the problem last time, if I recall?

codex_m.jpg
Fuck dammit, skills, don't fail me now!

up23_Baldr111.jpg

There sure are a lot of wyverns here.

codex_m.jpg
You forgot to mention the wolf.

up23_Baldr112.jpg

This was to be expected, sooner or later. The good thing is, only a single baby wyvern spots The Codex.

codex_m.jpg
Geez, great, that's only 50% chance of dying horribly, instead of 100.

up23_Baldr113.jpg

But, combat goes surprisingly well, and The Codex cuts the wyvern down with some help from Magic Missile.

codex_m.jpg
Sometimes even I forget how awesome I am!

up23_Baldr114.jpg

Having explored the area, we can finally rest. Daylight map screenshots look much better.

up23_Baldr115.jpg

Area completed! And what's best - it was the last filler area in this LP!

codex_m.jpg
Great!

Unless we count all the houses in the city of Baldur's Gate...

codex_m.jpg
-------------------

Next time: we easily breeze through the Iron Throne mines.

codex_m.jpg
Really?

No.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
One baby wyvern = too much for the Codex? Huh is poison rape or what.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom