Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's solo Baldur's Gate on Insane (feat. The Codex)

Which BG2 LP style would You prefer?

• The Codex Solo / Core

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • The Codex + 1 helper / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Hard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Codex + 2 helpers / Insane

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 6 new characters / Insane

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I approve. Drizzt is just too annoying to be left alive. :thumbsup:

Yeesh

Magister
3310n01.jpg

taplonaplo

Scholar
Have i missed something, or we don't get updates only coz we don't ask for it enough?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I kinda like being begged for things.

Actually, it's the same thing as with update #17 (Durlag's Tower), but even worse. #26 is already as long as #17 was, and it's only 80% complete as of now.
The reason for that is me squeezing two areas into one update now, so the whole city is done in 3-4 updates, instead of 7-8. Also, I had a bit less time this week. (Still, I'll be trying to finish this LP before the end of the year. Wish me luck.)

tl;dr: Upcoming update is long = it takes a lot of time to write.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #26A: EXTREME CHEESE, part I

codex_m.jpg
So, what's your excuse for the delay this time?

This:
Alpha_Protocol_cover.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fucking MCA fanboy.

I'm not a...
Ok, you know what, let's get back to business.

So, having satisfied our appetite for dead drows, we can now go back to exploring the majestic city of Baldur's Gate.

codex_m.jpg
Right. I do not think anybody is interested in this LP anymore, after I killed Drizzt.

You mean, after You didn't die while killing him. I'm aware that people might think that the rest of the game would be a breeze, since You achieved that. But don't worry, this update should prove them wrong.

codex_m.jpg
What do you mean?

By the way, You didn't kill Drizzt. He was bitten by a dog.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck you too.

up26_Baldr000.jpg

This area doesn't really hold anything of interest for us, but will give us access to those that do.

codex_m.jpg
I don't remember the city part all that well. Does that mean filler?

On the contrary. You'll see.

up26_Baldr001.jpg

The journey from Nashkel is long and full of transit area encounters, which have been omitted due to not being interesting.

codex_m.jpg
Now, you're learning.

up26_Baldr002.jpg

The Codex' initial stats for this update.

up26_Baldr003.jpg

We start by looting some houses.

up26_Baldr004.jpg

Sometimes, they even hold something interesting...

codex_m.jpg
Is this one of these fake potions that are actually poisons?

up26_Baldr005.jpg

Not at all.

codex_m.jpg
I doubt I will have an opportunity to use it. How many basilisks can there be in the city?

Right.

up26_Baldr006.jpg

As always, I will only highlight the houses that have semi-interesting loot, at least.

up26_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Dagger +1 qualified as semi-interesting five levels ago. Maybe.

up26_Baldr008.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I think I've seen this roof before...

It's the one from the intro. Must be quite the tourist spot now.

up26_Baldr009.jpg

Our next stop.

up26_Baldr010.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Planning to fight any more Drizzts soon?

This potion does have other uses too, You know.

codex_m.jpg
Considering your potions policy so far, I doubt it really will be used at any point in the future.

up26_Baldr012.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Poultry store? What the fuck?

Yes, I'm curious too.

up26_Baldr013.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Rabid chickens! And a fucking lot of them! We're fucked!

Quick, fierball!

codex_m.jpg
I don't have it prepared! We still have the 'Drizzt' spell set.

Run away then!

up26_Baldr014.jpg

They're not any kind of threat, actually, but entering this place is completely pointless since there's absolutely no loot here.

up26_Baldr015.jpg

At the thieves guild, we were supposed to be asked to steal some stuff from this house, but I forgot to talk to the right people. We will steal the stuff anyway.

codex_m.jpg
Well, of course, as this ensures that other people's stuff becomes mine. No-brainer.

up26_Baldr016.jpg

We will sneak through this house, as unnecesary talking results in a Flaming Fist invasion and inevitable reputation loss. We find some scrolls on the ground floor.

up26_Baldr017.jpg

Even more scrolls on the first floor.

up26_Baldr019.jpg

And the quest items in a chest on the top floor. There are three magician sisters here (daughters of Shandalar), who would attack us if The Codex revealed his presence. Not that killing them would be some kind of a problem, but stealth path is quicker and much less troublesome (unlike Alpha Protocol).

up26_Baldr021.jpg

To free up The Codex' inventory a bit, we return them immediately. The treacherous mage betrays us!

codex_m.jpg
Treacherous mages tend to do that sometimes.

up26_Baldr022.jpg

For some reason, he decides to kill The Codex by bashing him with a staff and we have an opportunity to empirically prove that multi-class warriors are better suited for melee combat than single-class mages.

codex_m.jpg
tl;dr: I own the guy.

up26_Baldr023.jpg

Maybe his plan was first to paralyze you with this wand and then kill with the staff?

codex_m.jpg
Must have gotten distracted and forgot the first part then.

up26_Baldr024.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No worries, I am already used to completely useless NPCs.

up26_Baldr025.jpg

Back to burglary, I mean: city interiors exploration.

up26_Baldr026.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What? I don't have time or will to do fedex quests, lady!

up26_Baldr028.jpg

codex_m.jpg
On the other hand, I might look for your son in the nearest amulet-buying store. No problem.

up26_Baldr032.jpg

While wandering the area, we meet this guy. It seems that The Codex was poisoned while resting!

codex_m.jpg
Why didn't this Marek guy kill me while I slept, if he had access to me and my rations?

up26_Baldr033.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I have a vague memory that this quest will involve one hell lot of fetching stuff and running back and forth.

Uh... Maybe?

up26_Baldr034.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Whatever, man. Let's go!

up26_Baldr036.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Priestess of Umberlee. Great. I fucking hate them bitches.

up26_Baldr037.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sure, I'll do everything. You just sit on your ass and sip wine! Fucker.

up26_Baldr038.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Let's take care of this Umberlee business now. Not sure how much time of those ten poison days I have left.

Wow, You were actually paying attention.

codex_m.jpg
I usually do pay attention when people are trying to kill me.

up26_Baldr043.jpg

Temple of Umberlee is located in the southern part of the city.

up26_Baldr046.jpg

We loot some houses on the way to the temple itself.

up26_Baldr048.jpg

Finding a bit of this and a bit of that.

up26_Baldr049.jpg

There are also warehouses here - they tend to have more lootable containers than residential houses, and sometimes even with useful stuff inside.

up26_Baldr050.jpg

codex_m.jpg
A basilisk. You've got to be fucking kidding me.

What are the odds, huh?

up26_Baldr005.jpg

Luckily, we've kept the potion found earlier.

codex_m.jpg
Yes, it's one of those completely unsuspicious coincidences that sometimes just happen. Right.

up26_Baldr054.jpg

This basilisk is even tougher than greater basilisks we've met at Durlag's Tower. Not that it matters when the potion is used, though.

codex_m.jpg
HA! That's how you do it, Harry Potter!

up26_Baldr055.jpg

Usually, loot dropped by basilisks is random, but this one always drops a sphene gem - it's needed for another quest in the city.

up26_Baldr056.jpg

Another warehouse.

up26_Baldr057.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You dropped them in one of the shipping crates? How stupid is that? Also, I already am involved in an epic fetch quest, no time to bother myself with additional minor ones.

They're magical Gauntlets of Weapon Skill.

codex_m.jpg
Oh. In that case, I'll definitely find them. Just not bring them back.

up26_Baldr058.jpg

A healing potion is found in a nearby barrel.

codex_m.jpg
Why would someone keep one potion in a barrel? It doesn't make any fucking sense!

Team desocupado from IceWind Dale 2 LP was doing some intensive barrel research, if I recall. Maybe they will be able to answer that question at some time.

up26_Baldr059.jpg

Two more are found in a nearby crate.

codex_m.jpg
Well, this at least has some amount of fucking sense.

up26_Baldr060.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Aaaaarrrrgggghhh!

up26_Baldr061.jpg

There sure are a lot of potions in this warehouse.

codex_m.jpg
Well, this 'a lot' you speak of would still fit in one chest. A whole warehouse to store them is one fuck lot of an overkill.

up26_Baldr062.jpg

We're temporarily out of warehouses, so back to breaking into exploring private houses.

up26_Baldr065.jpg

We meet a dying sirine inside.

codex_m.jpg
I could grant a last wish to the poor thing, if she asks for the right one...

up26_Baldr067.jpg

She doesn't seem to be interested in anything You have to offer.

codex_m.jpg
Her loss.

Sirine dies and we take her pearl as a loot. Choosing the other dialogue option makes her hostile, which means we would have to kill her before taking her pearl (it's better XP-wise, though).

up26_Baldr068.jpg

Yet another house to loot.

up26_Baldr069.jpg

With an antidote avaialable for us to take.

codex_m.jpg
Whoa, that guy here is a really ugly bastard.

Oh yeah, he's cursed.

up26_Baldr071.jpg

codex_m.jpg
No, thanks. I remember doing some skull-carrying for Thalantyr and this business nets no rewards at all.

up26_Baldr072.jpg

A quick trip to Thieves' guild to leave some spare equipment there.

codex_m.jpg
Why is this screenshot here?

So people later don't ask me why I haven't used stuff like wand of paralyzation in the upcoming fights.

codex_m.jpg
What fights?

up26_Baldr074.jpg

You should like this part here, this ship is kind of a public house, or rather a 'meeting place' for...

codex_m.jpg
That is very interesting, but, you haven't answered my question.

up26_Baldr076.jpg

The only interesting thing on the first level here is this guy and his chest full of loot. Unfortunately he calls Flaming Fist if we try to take the contents, so I decide to skip it.

codex_m.jpg
What fights!?

up26_Baldr079.jpg

We meet this woman on the second floor.

codex_m.jpg
What f... Well, hello there, gorgeous! I'm definitely interested in the 'pleasure' part.

up26_Baldr080.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Uh.... I'm not sure we are speaking of the same thing here.

up26_Baldr081.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Nope, we're definitely not.

Heads up, she's not alone!

codex_m.jpg
How is it all chicks I meet want to kill me after a few seconds of conversation!?

Yes, that is absolutely, totally inconceivable.

up26_Baldr082.jpg

codex_m.jpg
I'm gonna... FUCK DAMMIT! I NEEDED THAT LUNG!

There goes our chance for blinding her, and the majority of The Codex' HP.

up26_Baldr083.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Where the fuck am I? Who are you people? Why am I bleeding? The fuck is going on...?

Confusion. Not good.

up26_Baldr084.jpg

codex_m.jpg
THAT HURTS, BITCH! THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

I think our hero is not going to survive this, noble audience. Everybody sensitive to death scenes might want to skip the next screenshot.

up26_Baldr085.jpg

Death count: 100

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
You know, I could really use that wand of paralyze right now.

Well, yes, probably. But look on the bright side: it was your 100th death, we should celebrate!

codex_m.jpg
You know, I think I've been too polite to you lately. You're an asshole and deserve only my hatred and contempt. And them you shall get.

'Always look on the bright side of death...', *whistle *whistle*.

codex_m.jpg
Are you listening to me?

'...just before you draw your terminal breath...', :violin: .

codex_m.jpg
You will fucking die by my hand someday!

up26_Baldr086.jpg

I forgot to switch the spell set after we fought Drizzt, so we have rather limited spellcasting capabilities right now (no Mirror Image or Hold Person, for example).

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I will also 'forget' to stop stabbing you at some point in the future. You can count on that.

up26_Baldr087.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Blindneueueueuueuhueheuh... Mah throouut...!

Again, The Codex gets hit while trying to blind Desreta.

up26_Baldr088.jpg

The rest of the fight also follows a similar course.

Death count: 101

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
Idea: we blind her before the dialogue, so I DON'T FUCKING DIE WHILE STANDING STILL AND CASTING THE FUCKING SPELL! :x

Ok, ok.

up26_Baldr089.jpg

codex_m.jpg
We shall see how well you fight in the dark, my pretty!

up26_Baldr090.jpg

Save vs spell. Hm, this might be tougher than I thought.

codex_m.jpg
:rage:

up26_Baldr092.jpg

Luckily, Algernon's Cloak works flawlessly and Desreta gets charmed.

codex_m.jpg
Shit! :x

What? Why are You angry?

codex_m.jpg
This charm effect is way too brief. I won't be able to have sex with her before it wears off!

I'm glad you don't have any more immediate problems...

codex_m.jpg
Oh, right, the other bitch is still there.

up26_Baldr093.jpg

We send Desreta near Vay-ya, so she gets killed by her friend's spells.

codex_m.jpg
Also, every spell cast on her will not be cast on me, which is a massive :incline: on its own.

Meanwhile, The Codex hides in shadows and will try to assume some tactically sound spot.

up26_Baldr094.jpg

Desreta gets frightened by a spell and leaves this level through the stairs. We move into backstabbing position.

codex_m.jpg
She won't even know what killed her.

up26_Baldr095.jpg

Unfortunately, backstabbing fails. The Codex starts to hack at Vay-ya with a sword instead.

up26_Baldr096.jpg

It only works well up to a point. Lightning Bolt is enough to change our hero into a dead, cold body.

Death count: 102

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
Well, this sucks. I'm no match for either of them. You must have levelled me up wrong!

It's Baldur's Gate. Levelling up consists of pressing one button.

codex_m.jpg
This only shows how stupid you are, to have been pressing it the wrong way all the time!

up26_Baldr097.jpg

Desreta resists Blind again.

codex_m.jpg

up26_Baldr098.jpg

She also doesn't fall under our charm this time. Why exactly does using Algernon's Cloak count as a 'breath weapon' - no idea.

up26_Baldr099.jpg

Getting desperate, we try to spray her into oblivion unconsciousness. It doesn't work too.

codex_m.jpg
Why does she resist all the fucking spells!?

up26_Baldr100.jpg

Situation develops into this.

Death count: 103

Reloading the game.

codex_m.jpg
I would easily win this having mirror image prepared, and you know it.

Maybe...?

codex_m.jpg
I only regret I will only be able to kill you once after all this.

up26_Baldr101.jpg

Speeding up: Blind fails next time, as always, but Charm works.

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

up26_Baldr102.jpg

The Codex hides and follows (visible) Desreta to her girlfriend, who turned herself invisible in the meantime.

codex_m.jpg
I'm the puppet master, baby!

up26_Baldr103.jpg

This time we unleash Desreta on her (ex-)partner, so we have some use of the successful charm.

codex_m.jpg
Get her, girl!

up26_Baldr104.jpg

The fight rages on, while The Codex sneaks behind Vay-ya's back.

codex_m.jpg
That's a really nice shaped back, I must admit. Pity.

up26_Baldr105.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Backstab, BITCH!

up26_Baldr106.jpg

Vay-ya is overwhelmed by our superior numbers. The finishing cut comes from Desreta.

codex_m.jpg
This charm thing works completely contrary to its description in the spellbook. She shouldn't be all that devoted to my side as to kill her friend. Not that I'm complaining.

up26_Baldr107.jpg

We loot Vay-ya's corpse.

codex_m.jpg
Wand of fire. :smug:

We still have to do something about Desreta. That Charm won't last forever.

codex_m.jpg
We could ask her to give up her sword, or something equally reasonable.

Sorry, no way of doing anything like that.

codex_m.jpg
Of course. What other options do we have?

Exploiting the game?

codex_m.jpg
Fine by me.

up26_Baldr110.jpg

Alright then, it's time for EXTREME CHEESE tactics. First, we initiate hostilities by casting Magic Missile on Desreta.

up26_Baldr111.jpg

After that, we run away and cast spells/shoot her with arrows when possible.

codex_m.jpg
We've done that before. How is that 'ultimate cheese'?

We're going to be running around a counter table.

codex_m.jpg
Oh.

up26_Baldr112.jpg

Pathfinding in this game is really bad and can lead to a lot of frustration when You have to deal with six characters, who should be at specific places of the battlefield at a specific time.

up26_Baldr113.jpg

It's not half as bad when You only have one character to control, and fast enough CPU, so there's no lag between clicking and movement.

up26_Baldr114.jpg

It can also be epically exploited at times like this.

up26_Baldr115.jpg

Although, it might get a little tedious...

codex_m.jpg
A LITTLE!?

up26_Baldr116.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK YES!

Finally!

up26_Baldr117.jpg

Ok, I'm sure I now know why Desreta packed that much of a punch. These are Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

codex_m.jpg
Nice!

up26_Baldr118.jpg

There's also this guy here, on the lower level. He's part of a quest, which we will most definitely not do.

codex_m.jpg
Let's quickly forget about him then.

up26_Baldr121.jpg

Gauntlents of Weapon Skill we were asked to find are in one of the chests here.

codex_m.jpg
Well, we've found them. Quest completed!

up26_Baldr122.jpg

Ah, yes, reapers our quest. We're actually in the right spot. We're supposed to talk to a priestess inside this temple.

codex_m.jpg
Have I mentioned I hate those bitches, Umberleeans?

You might have, yes.

up26_Baldr124.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, I humbly ask, and I don't do that often, so you better listen and do what you're told, bitch!

up26_Baldr125.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Alright, alright, I'll bring you the fucking book of fucking wisdom. But you better have the cure ready when I'm back!

That went surprisingly well. Getting that book should be no problem, if memory serves me well.

codex_m.jpg
Goddammit, I fucking hate fetch quests! :x

---------------------------------

For continuation, check out update #26B in my next post.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #26B: EXTREME CHEESE, part II

up26_Baldr126.jpg

Back to exploring houses.

up26_Baldr127.jpg

codex_m.jpg
WTF? Ogre mages?

Uh... I did not expect that too, to be honest.

codex_m.jpg
Why are two ogre mages in a random house in the city? Are they having some gay ogre mage rendez-vous that will spawn ogrillons or some other abomination?

At least, they're not teleporting dogs.

codex_m.jpg
It's hard to say if that makes more or less sense.

up26_Baldr128.jpg

We shoot one of them with an arrow of biting, and he (she?) gets poisoned. In the meantime the other one casts Improved Invisibility and disappears.

codex_m.jpg
You do realize you just repeated information everyone could read from the screenshot, right?

up26_Baldr129.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What.

It's an ambush.

codex_m.jpg
An 'amush'?

Seems like it.

codex_m.jpg
They ambushed me in a random house in the docks? Really? What was their plan, exactly? 'Oh, we'll just stay in this house here and wait for him to stumble upon us, against all odds and common sense. And when he does, we'll kill him and be rich, nyah, nyah, nyah.'

Well... it worked, didn't it?

codex_m.jpg

up26_Baldr130.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Balls! How many of them are here!?

Three at least, it seems.

up26_Baldr131.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! FUCK THIS SHIT!

Make that five. Fuck.

up26_Baldr132.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wait... Why did I come here, anyway...? Who are all these ugly people...?

I don't think we're going to make it.

up26_Baldr133.jpg

We didn't make it.

Death count: 104

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
I think I should go in there as prebuffed as possible. What's your take on that?

Normally I would've agreed, but...

up26_Baldr134.jpg

The only buff we've got left is Resist Fear. I don't think it will help much.

codex_m.jpg
Well, fuck.

up26_Baldr135.jpg

We enter the house again anyway, since we're not easily discouraged by a little challenge and resting at an inn would require area transit, which is too bothersome.

codex_m.jpg
In other words: you're too lazy to remember about coming back here later and are willing to sacrifice my life a few more times instead.

More or less, yeah.

codex_m.jpg
I fucking hate your guts.

up26_Baldr136.jpg

Oh, look, Resist Fear actually helped us. Awesome.

codex_m.jpg
I will refrain from a snarky comment only because I would actually die if not for the spell. And, surprise, I don't like dying.

up26_Baldr137.jpg

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! DAMMIT! SHIT! You'll eat your own fucking tongue for that, ogre!

We're at a major disadvantage here, so it's time to employ more EXTREME CHEESE tactics.

up26_Baldr140.jpg

We leave the building, heal and cast Haste. Tutu actually employs BG2-like system of enemies following you into another area, but it works like shit. Ogres stay inside.

codex_m.jpg
Wait a minute, 'Haste'? Didn't you just say I could only buff myself with resist fear?

Did I? I don't recall. Let's go back.

up26_Baldr142.jpg

The Codex enters again, hidden in shadows and backstabs one of the ogres.

codex_m.jpg
Wait. Wheredidalltheothersgo?

up26_Baldr143.jpg

It seems the others were invisible, waiting for a stupid move on our part.

Death count: 105

codex_m.jpg
Did we just... got outsmarted by ogres?

Uhm... yeah.

codex_m.jpg
Ogres controlled by this game's AI.

Let's not depress ourselves further, ok?

up26_Baldr145.jpg

This may seem as repeating the same mistake, but I actually had a plan following this backstab. Unfortunately, it ends up as a critical miss.

codex_m.jpg
Fuckingfuck!

up26_Baldr146.jpg

We hide in one of the side rooms and hit back with a charge from wand of fear, but one of the ogres casts Confusion...

up26_Baldr147.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Whoa. Whattheshit? Thisfloorisawesome.

In theory, we can still survive this...

up26_Baldr148.jpg

We're followed by two ogre mages, one panicked. The other casts Melf's Acid Arrow on our hero.

codex_m.jpg
Myskinburns. Whydoesmyskinburn?

up26_Baldr149.jpg

Somehow, Confusion ends while our hero is still alive. The ogre who cast acid arrow doesn't follow us into this room.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck. That was one stressing experience there!

up26_Baldr150.jpg

After some healing, we go back to deal with the ogre. Now that he's alone...

codex_m.jpg
And not immune to arrows....

up26_Baldr151.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Boom! Headshot!

up26_Baldr154.jpg

After some more healing, it's time to clean up this mess of a building.

codex_m.jpg
Backstab, shithead!

up26_Baldr155.jpg

Two more ogre mages appear. EXTREME CHEESE inbound.

up26_Baldr156.jpg

We get hit by another acid arrow, move to a side room, drink a healing potion and hide in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
I AM INVISIBLE, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

up26_Baldr157.jpg

Another ogre joins us in the small room, so we head out to scout for lone targets of opportunity.

codex_m.jpg
This one here summoned himself some intellectually superior company.

You mean gnolls?

codex_m.jpg
I mean dogs.

up26_Baldr158.jpg

Another healing potion is used (these acid arrows are really annoying) and we find a single stray ogre mage in the southern part of the building.

codex_m.jpg
Say your prayers, ugly!

up26_Baldr159.jpg

He (she?) dies, but The Codex almost shares the same fate, with only a few HP left.

codex_m.jpg
That was way too close.

up26_Baldr160.jpg

We use up our stock of healing potions. The dog-headed discussion club is unsummoned in the meantime.

up26_Baldr162.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Sneak attack, motherfucker!

The ogre gets poisoned which equals death for him (her?), as it will fuck up his (her?) spellcasting.

codex_m.jpg
Will you stop that his/her nonsense already!? Obviously, they're all male.

I wouldn't be so...

codex_m.jpg
Shut up! I don't want to even consider the possibility of any of them being female! Understood!?

Ok, as You wish.

up26_Baldr163.jpg

Three down, two to go.

codex_m.jpg
I love this dagger! Although not as much as to have sex with it...

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

up26_Baldr164.jpg

Fighting them both at the same time would be unfavourable for us. We should find a way to separate them.

codex_m.jpg
Is one of them buttfucking the other against a wall...? Or whatever, I don't really want to know.

up26_Baldr165.jpg

A shot from the wand of fear is enough to separate the lovers.

codex_m.jpg
Fear was enough to overcome love... That is fucking deep.

Right.

up26_Baldr166.jpg

Three arrows later, there's one less ogre mage in the world.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah, bow!

up26_Baldr167.jpg

Dealing with the last one is formality, especially in the light of him getting poisoned after a backstab.

codex_m.jpg
Now I will watch you slowly die, shitty ogre. Nothing personal, except that I fucking hate you.

up26_Baldr168.jpg

Wow, You really do follow on Your threats sometimes.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, yes. I do. :smug:

The downside is none of the ogre mages dropped anything interesting. There's also nothing of the sort on the second floor. Loot-wise, this building is a major letdown.

up26_Baldr170.jpg

We briefly retreat to a shop to identify items. These are our new gauntlets. They only provide +1 THAC0 (instead of +2 from Bracers of Archery), but work on all weapons, not just missile ones.

up26_Baldr171.jpg

These are the gauntlets we looted from Desreta's corpse - they are the main reason she was easily able to kick The Codex' ass in melee. We could keep them instead of Gauntlets of Weapon Skill, but I'm thinking ahead here. In the long run, The Codex won't need ogre power as his own will be superior.

codex_m.jpg
I like it when you admit I am awesome. You should do that more often.

up26_Baldr172.jpg

Also, we rest.

codex_m.jpg
You have remembered to adjust the spellbook, so I can cast useful spells again?

Uhhm. Well. You see... There were distractions, and...

codex_m.jpg
That's it. You are fucking dead. You don't realize it just yet, but you're a walking corpse. Enjoy your borrowed time.

up26_Baldr173.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Whoa! Wait. Surely, we're not going in there?

Of course we are. It counts as an interior, doesn't it?

codex_m.jpg
Well, fuck this. I certainly don't count it as an interior! And you can bet I am not going in there without an optimal spell set. Is that clear?

Crystal clear.

up26_Baldr174.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck did I just say!

No idea, haven't been listening really. Heads up, a hostile guard.

up26_Baldr175.jpg

We actually tried reasoning with this guard, but to no avail.

codex_m.jpg
Sucks to be him. Now, let's leave before...

up26_Baldr176.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Why are we going up!?

What, are You scared?

codex_m.jpg
Fuck off! I'm leaving!

up26_Baldr178.jpg

No, you're not.

codex_m.jpg
GODDAMMIT!

Another unreasonable guard has to part with his life. Such is the fate of the stupid.

up26_Baldr179.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Ok, let's stop for a moment here. Obviously, you're going to force me to enter the top floor.

Yup.

codex_m.jpg
And I can't do anything about it, because LP rules, which I agreed upon, oblige me to explore interiors and this tower counts as one.

True.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck. Alright, let's do it!

up26_Baldr180.jpg

We may be reckless getting here already, but we're not suicidial. The Codex enters the top floor hidden.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck. Three enemies already.

Four. The fat lady turns into a doppelganger after a dialogue.

codex_m.jpg
Just fucking great. How many more are there in the fog of war.

Not sure. Two? Three? Four at most.

codex_m.jpg
I'm so screwed.

up26_Baldr181.jpg

This is going to be our safe spot, allowing us to cast all the spells we want while not threatened.

up26_Baldr184.jpg

We start with a simple combination: Resists Fear + Mirror Image + Haste.

codex_m.jpg
Hey, we actually do have mirror image prepared? This is starting to look promising.

up26_Baldr185.jpg

There's a slim chance we will be able to take them on all at once. We are going to take it.

codex_m.jpg
DefeatTheWholeGroupAtOnce? FatChance.

No, slim. I just said there's a slim chance.

codex_m.jpg
It'sTheSameFuckingThing.

Fat is slim? It doesn't make any sense at all...

codex_m.jpg
CanWeGetBackToMeDying?

Oh, right.

up26_Baldr186.jpg

We start by backstabbing Aasim, hoping it will give us at least a small advantage at the beginning.

up26_Baldr187.jpg

They're not in the mood for diplomacy, it seems.

codex_m.jpg
I'llEatMyOwnShoesIfWeAreEverAbleToResolveAPlotPointEncounterWithDiplomacyInThisGame.

up26_Baldr188.jpg

Of course, we're not deluding ourselves to be able to resolve this combat without ULTIMATE CHEESE. The first opprotunity, we go down the stairs and renew The Codex' stealth.

up26_Baldr189.jpg

And we're back up, with a vengeance.

codex_m.jpg
OneDown! HELLYEAH!

38 backstab damage - nice.

up26_Baldr190.jpg

Unfortunately, second attempt to withdraw to a lower level ends up like this.

codex_m.jpg
WhereAreTheStairs? ISwearTheyWereSupposedToBeHereSomewhere.

up26_Baldr191.jpg

A predictable outcome.

Death count: 106

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
I don't think I can defeat them all at once.

Yeah.

up26_Baldr192.jpg

Second attempt. Instead of running into the storm, we now operate at the edge of visibility.

codex_m.jpg
I am outside of their sight range while standing inside the same, average sized room. Suck it, realism!

First, we send a charge of wand of fear into the middle of the room. Second, we start shooting Aasim. His AC must be really crappy, as all arrows hit the target (interrupting his spellcasting three times) and he soon dies.

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

up26_Baldr193.jpg

Panicked Diyab also bites the floor a few moments later.

codex_m.jpg
Doing good! Two down!

Five to go...

up26_Baldr194.jpg

For some reason I got a bit cocky here and decided to backstab Alai. Not sure what I was thinking.

codex_m.jpg
TheUsualProbably. NothingAtAll.

up26_Baldr195.jpg

Backstab ends with a critical miss...

codex_m.jpg
ThisIsDoomedToFail.

up26_Baldr196.jpg

We try to poison doppleganger with an arrow of biting, but another critical miss ensues...

codex_m.jpg
CanWeReloadAlready?

up26_Baldr197.jpg

Somehow, we manage to get to the stairs, go down, hide and get back up.

codex_m.jpg
ThatMustBeANewHighForTheNumberOfThingsThatHappenedBetweenScreenshots.

up26_Baldr198.jpg

We backstab Gardush, but he survives.

codex_m.jpg
:decline:

up26_Baldr199.jpg

And we follow with another hit from the wand of fear. It's half-successful.

codex_m.jpg
IdRatherSayItHalfFails.

up26_Baldr200.jpg

Naaman gets hit with an arrow of biting, but resists poison.

codex_m.jpg
Shit!

up26_Baldr201.jpg

It's the same thing with Alai.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck!

up26_Baldr202.jpg

Doppleganger starts raping The Codex in melee, while both mages cast some inevitably deadly spells.

codex_m.jpg
ThatsItIGuess. GoodEffortThough.

up26_Baldr203.jpg

We will get them next time.

Death count: 107

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
We will get them next time.

I just said th... Oh, you were dead. Sorry.

up26_Baldr204.jpg

Well, ok, I have to admit I don't remember what happened between this screenshot and the next one. Here, we see The Unwounded Codex firing fear into the middle of the room...

up26_Baldr205.jpg

...and here, we see The Wounded Codex (and on fire too!) shooting arrows of biting at Naaman from the other side of the room. Also: another charge of wand of fire has been used in the meantime. Weird stuff.

codex_m.jpg
'Weird'? You obviously got too excited and forgot to make screenshots, dumbfuck. Probably had to change your underwear too.

up26_Baldr206.jpg

The good news is, Naaman dies.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah!

up26_Baldr207.jpg

The approach of 'poison him with an arrow of biting and then kill him off with the normal ones' works well on Alai too.

codex_m.jpg
Nice. We've defeated four already! Only two left. And the doped gangbanger.

up26_Baldr208.jpg

We start by backstabbing Gardush, but the damage is rather poor, and poison doesn't kick in.

up26_Baldr209.jpg

These guys hit hard, so we cast Mirror Image to increase our survival chance.

codex_m.jpg
And we haven't done this earlier, because...?

up26_Baldr210.jpg

A quick trip downstairs for more buffing (Haste + Resist Fear).

up26_Baldr211.jpg

Again, some vital screenshots missing here. The Codex went up, hit them with the last charge of the wand of fear, scaring Zhalimar (the archer), but himself got hit by some sharp steel and/or claws. We retreat downstairs and hide in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
YouKnowHittingThatPrntScrnKeyMoreOftenWouldHaveSavedYouALotOfPointlessWriting.

You don't say.

up26_Baldr212.jpg

Back up, ready to backstab Gardush. Doppleganger is also here, but Zhalimar must have ran out of the room.

up26_Baldr213.jpg

We backstab Gardush for mediocre damage and I notice that Haste has worn off in the meantime.

up26_Baldr214.jpg

Refreshing the spell.

codex_m.jpg
Great fucking conditions for that.

up26_Baldr215.jpg

The Codex gets hurt a bit more, but shoot'n'run allows us to eliminate the doppleganger.

codex_m.jpg
FinallySomeProgress!

up26_Baldr216.jpg

Seven ice arrows later, Gardush finally croaks.

codex_m.jpg
TheseGuysHaveWayTooManyHP!

up26_Baldr217.jpg

Oh, for fuck's sake! No!
Zhalimar came back at the worst possible moment and hit The Codex with a single arrow, which was enough. And it was going so well!

Death count: 108

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
When was the last time we saved the game?

If you're asking if I managed to save after killing Gardush, then: no.

codex_m.jpg

up26_Baldr218.jpg

I decide to kill off Zhalimar first this time.

codex_m.jpg
34! Nice!

up26_Baldr219.jpg

Back downstairs to hide in shadows.

up26_Baldr220.jpg

And back up again.

codex_m.jpg
28! :decline:

up26_Baldr221.jpg

Aaaaand back down to hide again.

codex_m.jpg
WellThisIsBoring.

Yeah, EXTREME CHEESE tends to be like that.

up26_Baldr222.jpg

Back up for third backstab.

codex_m.jpg
TheFuckerIsStillAlive? HowIsThatPossible? IMustHaveHitHimForLike100HPAlready!

96 actually.

up26_Baldr223.jpg

Uh, lucky hit on their part.

Death count: 109

codex_m.jpg
Have I mentioned these guys have way too much HP?

Yes, You have.

codex_m.jpg
Well, they do!

up26_Baldr224.jpg

I decide to kill Zhalimar with bow & arrows this time. Not sure why.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, that is stupid. He's got a crapload of HP, compared to my effective 25, and our bows deal similar damage.

Let's hope Your -8 AC will suffice to win.

up26_Baldr225.jpg

It's not that easy, of course, as doppleganger joins the action. We try to blind him - to no effect. One hit is enough for The Codex to lose 1/3 of HP.

codex_m.jpg
FUCK! Not good.

up26_Baldr226.jpg

Back down to get the available buffs without hostile interference.

up26_Baldr227.jpg

We return to action with a rather pathetic backstabbing effort. I was hoping for the doppleganger to die.

up26_Baldr228.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OneSwordSwingIsEnoughToCorrectThat!

Thank God for Mirror Image.

up26_Baldr229.jpg

The archery duel between The Codex and Zhalimar. The enemy actually does have one hell lot of HP, but his to-hit chance is far from impressive.

up26_Baldr230.jpg

And it's a good thing, since when he actually manages to hit The Codex, he deals 22 damage. Luckily, right after that, he decides to try his chances in melee instead. A few more arrows to the face make sure he never gets close enough.

codex_m.jpg
Fuck yeah, bow! You're the king of the world!

up26_Baldr231.jpg

Time to excerise EXTREME CHEESE against Gardush. First: Haste.

up26_Baldr232.jpg

Time for a lot of running around and shooting back, Desreta-like.

up26_Baldr235.jpg

A few Magic Missiles for added flavour.

codex_m.jpg
No more of that culinary nonsense!

Just an expression.

up26_Baldr236.jpg

Haste has worn off, so we go downstairs and hide.

up26_Baldr237.jpg

codex_m.jpg
SNEAK ATTACK!

And Gardush is poisoned. Nice. I sense an impending end of this combat.

up26_Baldr238.jpg

Oh, yes!

codex_m.jpg
:yeah:

Saving the game!

up26_Baldr239.jpg

We start looting the bodies. Here's a scroll of protection from arrows (missiles?). I don't think we had this spell before.

codex_m.jpg
If you mean the pink forcefield thing, I'm not casting it. Too faggy.

up26_Baldr240.jpg

A wand of lightning. I wonder which type.

up26_Baldr241.jpg

Wand of heavens would be a great loot, if it was usable for us, but it's not.

up26_Baldr242.jpg

Exploding potions - never too much of these.

up26_Baldr243.jpg

And finally, an interesting-looking halberd.

up26_Baldr244.jpg

We also find some plot-relevant scrolls (and some spell scrolls) in the containers here.

codex_m.jpg
That's a fucking lot of stuff we've found. How do we take it all with us?

We don't. We'll grab the most useful/most expensive items and pack the rest into a chest here to get back for it later. We just have to remember to do it before heading to Candlekeep, because this area gets reset after that, I think.

up26_Baldr245.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, sure. Going there is the first thing I'll do after leaving this area. Except, I'm lying.

up26_Baldr246.jpg

Area completed!
----------------------

Next time: we kill and steal to get some books not written by David Gaider.

codex_m.jpg
Heresy!

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The city of Boring Gate is rather big isnt it? How many areas total are there? Is it bigger than Athkatla?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What I find really great is the way MS's LP is highly entertaining despite the seemingly boring stuff going on.

It's not really boring in fact imo. Hence the "seemingly".

taplonaplo

Scholar
Mmmmmm cheeese, me likes. May the Codex suffer hunderds of more deaths before finishing his adventures.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Just so I don't accused of requiring begging, praying and human sacrifice again: next update will probably appear tomorrow or on Thursday.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Update #27: We Kill Some Mages (Mostly)

Before we continue The Codex' city life, it's time for some loot selling and such.
First: the wand of lightning we found is the meh version (single 6D6 bolt).

Second:
up27_Baldr000.jpg

I briefly consider making this halberd our new backstab weapon, but in the end decide to stick to Dagger of Venom.

codex_m.jpg
Wait. Backstabbing with a halberd?

Yeah. It's a piercing weapon, isn't it?

codex_m.jpg
Yes, but it doesn't make any... Ah, forget it.

up27_Baldr001.jpg

We get some rest (and rearrange the spell list a bit).

up27_Baldr002.jpg

Since we need to get the book for the Umberlee priestess to get the geas remove scroll to save Lothander to get the cure for The Codex...

codex_m.jpg
That's exactly why I hate fetch quests. This and running back and forth.

...the temple of wisdom, located in the western part of the city, is our next target.

up27_Baldr003.jpg

That's a nice looking neighbourhood.

codex_m.jpg
Except for that fat bitch over there. She's spoiling the view for me.

up27_Baldr004.jpg

The greater basilisk from the warehouse was indeed stronger than the ones before. Worth 7000 XP, it's now our top kill. The Codex has also exceeded 1200 kils overall. With more than 245 000 total kill XP that means an average of about 200 XP per kill.

up27_Baldr005.jpg

There is some nice (read: expensive) stuff in the Hall of Wonders. Some of it can even be stolen, if You come here at night - there's also a quest to get a telescope for some gnome, or something like that. We're going to completely ignore this place, except for the screenshot above.

codex_m.jpg
'Steam dragon'. That sounds pretty badass.

up27_Baldr006.jpg

We enter Ragefast's house next.

codex_m.jpg
Wait, the guy's name is 'Ragefast', as in 'rage' and 'fast'?

Yes.

codex_m.jpg
Did his parents name him that or is the name self-given?

I don't know. What's the difference?

codex_m.jpg
The differnce is whether I can laugh at him only for his name, or also for being so stupid to name himself that way.

Bold words for someone named 'The Codex'.

codex_m.jpg
I completely fail to see your point here.

Right. Will You enter the house already?

up27_Baldr007.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Uh, sorry Fastrage, you're not my type, and I mean by a lot.

I think he's talking to the nymph over there.

codex_m.jpg
Right. The nymph. Of course. I knew that.

up27_Baldr008.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Cocky, aren't we?

up27_Baldr009.jpg

A lone mage = unleashing The Kysus Barrage.

up27_Baldr010.jpg

And he's down.

codex_m.jpg
What, already? I am disappoint. :decline: Some 'Ragefast'. He should be named 'Diefast' instead.

up27_Baldr011.jpg

At least the loot is nice. You can never have too much wands of paralyzation.

up27_Baldr012.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Disappointment again. What's the point of rescuing distressed damsels if they don't seek company of a man afterwards?

At least we got a cloak made from her hair.

up27_Baldr013.jpg

Or rather just some hair.

codex_m.jpg
What a ripoff!

up27_Baldr014.jpg

We meet a boy in need of help.

codex_m.jpg
I'm kind of busy right now, but if you pay immediately, I will see what I can do later.

up27_Baldr015.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Fuck off then!

Uh, we probably should have helped him.

codex_m.jpg
I'm not convinced. He smelled like a fetch quest to me.

up27_Baldr016.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Is this the kind of a lady I might like?

Actually, this is the temple of wisdom we were looking for.

codex_m.jpg
That is one fucking misleading name.

up27_Baldr018.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Maybe I should pay them?

They won't sell it, trust me.

codex_m.jpg
Uh, okay. Pretty please, then?

up27_Baldr019.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck do you mean 'anyone' you fucking priest faggot!? I am The Codex! I am a fucking hero! Twenty reputation, see!? How do you think I got it!?

So, what now?

codex_m.jpg
I'll just fucking steal it.

up27_Baldr020.jpg

codex_m.jpg
HA! Fuck you!

up27_Baldr021.jpg

That's not the book.

codex_m.jpg

You know, all this wouldn't be necessary if You agreed to help that boy. The priest would gladly give us the book then.

codex_m.jpg
Would that require fetching or running back and forth between areas?

Well, maybe, a little of both.

codex_m.jpg
I prefer my way then.

up27_Baldr022.jpg

codex_m.jpg
GODDAMMIT!

We reload - the LP rules allow us another attempt.

up27_Baldr023.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yes!

I hope this time it's what we wanted.

up27_Baldr024.jpg

Success!

codex_m.jpg
Wait, what? 'Manual of bodily health'? What the fuck?

What do you mean?

codex_m.jpg
Wasn't it supposed to be a book of wisdom? This is a temple of wisdom after all.

Well, You see what it is. The priest doesn't have any other books. You may check if You want.

codex_m.jpg
I don't get it. I'm sure it should be a book of wisdom. It doesn't make any fucking sense!

*cough*bookswap*cough*

codex_m.jpg
What? What was that?

I didn't say anything.

codex_m.jpg
Right. I'm keeping my eye on you.

up27_Baldr025.jpg

Area completed!

up27_Baldr026.jpg

We go back to Queen Bitch's temple.

codex_m.jpg
The scroll first, bitch!

codex_m.jpg
Wait, if her goddess is 'queen bitch', she won't take offense to calling her 'bitch' too, will she?

Probably not.

codex_m.jpg
The scroll first, whore!

up27_Baldr027.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Right, you wanted the book of wisdom. All the faggy priest had was a manual of bodily health. Sorry?

up27_Baldr028.jpg

She does not take it well.

codex_m.jpg
That's why I hate Umberleeans! They're just not reasonable!

up27_Baldr029.jpg

codex_m.jpg
HOLY SHIT! I'M ON FIRE!

Jalantha Mystmyr does not fuck around, hitting the Codex with a pillar of fire, which immediately takes 80% of his HP.

up27_Baldr030.jpg

And the rest seconds later.

Death count: 110

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking Umberleean whore. I want her dead.

That shall be arranged.

up27_Baldr031.jpg

This time we prepare a bit, casting Life Saver 2000 before entering.

codex_m.jpg
Also, mirror image.

Yes, I actually meant... Ah, fucktiwhatever.

up27_Baldr032.jpg

The Codex still gets burned up, but the spell does save his life and allows us to kill Jalantha.

codex_m.jpg
Don't forget to give regards to your goddess!

Oddly, other priestesses don't mind us killing their superior. Klingon promotion, anyone?

up27_Baldr033.jpg

The dead body is...

codex_m.jpg
I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons for a middle-aged priestess to be carrying a dead body of an adolescent boy. The less I know about it, the better.

up27_Baldr034.jpg

A quick look at our journal reveals that Lothander is waiting for us at an inn placed in yet unexplored part of the city. That's where we'll be heading now.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking fetch quests.

up27_Baldr035.jpg

We are spawned suspiciously close to the aforementioned inn.

up27_Baldr036.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What!? The OTHER HALF!? You mean it's not over yet!?

Yeah, sorry.

codex_m.jpg
So, where exactly is that Blushing Mermaid? Have we already passed it, or does that mean more pointless running around the city?

Uh, the latter, I'm afraid.

codex_m.jpg

up27_Baldr037.jpg

Since we won't be needing the book anymore, The Codex uses it to raise his Constitution.

up27_Baldr038.jpg

17 CON means +3 HP/level, which translates to 7 additional hit points at The Codex' current level. The math behind that...

codex_m.jpg
Shut up. Now.

up27_Baldr039.jpg

Time for some good old house robbin'.

up27_Baldr040.jpg

The game seems rather generous with giving us basic magical items for free at this point.

codex_m.jpg
Do we even have some way of spending the money we get from selling all this stuff?

I'll think of something.

up27_Baldr041.jpg

We loot this place next.

up27_Baldr042.jpg

We have a stock of these already, but having one more won't hurt.

up27_Baldr043.jpg

Most buildings in the city have entrances on the visible sides, but some, like on this warehouse, can only be found by mouse-hovering over supposed door placement.

up27_Baldr044.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, sure, I did a good job too, whatever it was.

up27_Baldr045.jpg

Actually, the quest was killing the basilisk from last update. Our reward is 1300 XP, 500 gold and some item I forgot to screenshot.

up27_Baldr046.jpg

Next house.

up27_Baldr047.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Burglars! And it used to be such a safe city!

Before we came here, You mean?

up27_Baldr048.jpg

They buy our bluff. We would get better reward for killing them, but I doubt it would be worth the added trouble.

codex_m.jpg
Also, I don't think stealing from other people's houses warrants a death penalty. Call it a professional bias, if you want.

That's because You never had a house of Your own.

codex_m.jpg
I'm not fond of long-term obligations.

up27_Baldr049.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Good going so far today. If we keep this up, we might be able to finish exploring the city in this update.

up27_Baldr050.jpg

Blushing Mermaid is located in the northeastern part of the city. Getting there is non-trivial, though. We need to access that part from one of other northmost areas, or we end up in the smaller part where we've earlier met Marek and Lothander.

codex_m.jpg
This fucking quest in one hell of a drag.

up27_Baldr051.jpg

Almost immediately, we meet this guy.

codex_m.jpg
Sure, but as for the nymph...

He's gone.

codex_m.jpg
What an impatient guy. I better follow him and clear up the misunderstanding.

up27_Baldr052.jpg

codex_m.jpg
That is one tall tower. I bet it was built by the same guy that made the uber-long bridge to the city. Clearly, there were some body part size issues involved.

up27_Baldr053.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Now just wait a minute there. You left before I was able to...

up27_Baldr054.jpg

It was a lightning bolt, if someone's curious.

Death count: 111

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
You know what? Killing me, I could forgive. But it was the second time that guy did not let me finish my sentence. For that, he dies.

up27_Baldr055.jpg

This time we prepare for the inevitable conversation outcome.

up27_Baldr056.jpg

Ramazith casts Lightning Bolt and immediately moves upstairs.

codex_m.jpg
Let's follow him.

Yes, let's, but hidden in shadows. Just in case.

up27_Baldr057.jpg

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck is this!?

Each level of the tower has some enemies. Their number increases with each level, but relative strength decreases. First floor has two mustard jellies (I think).

up27_Baldr058.jpg

The second one four ghasts (or were they ghouls?).

codex_m.jpg
Whatever.

up27_Baldr059.jpg

Third one: six hobgoblin elites.

up27_Baldr060.jpg

And the fourth one: six (or more - there's some fog of war here) kobold comandos.

up27_Baldr061.jpg

Finally, we're at the top. Only Ramazith is here.

up27_Baldr062.jpg

The Codex is unable to place himself behind Ramazith to backstab him, but we we get a lucky critical hit, which works almost as well. Also: poison kicks in.

codex_m.jpg
Try to interrupt my sentence now! I dare you!

up27_Baldr063.jpg

Ramazith falls a few seconds later.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, and it was all a misunderstanding! Fucker.

up27_Baldr064.jpg

Ramazith drops some really nice loot.

codex_m.jpg
So, it all turned out all right in the end.

up27_Baldr065.jpg

Amulet of Metaspell Influence means potentially one additional Mirror Image per day, so it will replace our current one.

up27_Baldr066.jpg

We find this too.

codex_m.jpg
Let me corect myself: it all turned out VERY GOOD in the end.

up27_Baldr067.jpg

There are also some scrolls of protection and a wand of paralyzation here.

codex_m.jpg
Now to think of it, I might have decided to come and kill him regardless of other circumstances. Good thing I had some justification sound reasons for that.

up27_Baldr068.jpg

Stealth ensues our safe return to the ground floor.

up27_Baldr069.jpg

Identyfying our loot. We've found these boots somewhere somehow. They will be sold.

up27_Baldr070.jpg

Since the metaspell amulet means we won't be able to use amulet of protection anymore, we will now start using this ring (also dropped by Ramazith). It will replace ring of animal influence.

codex_m.jpg
Which I most certainly will not miss.

up27_Baldr071.jpg

And last but not least - the statboost book found in Ramazith's tower.

codex_m.jpg
Intelligence. And there I thought it would be strength.

Book of strength in a wizards tower? That wouldn't make much sense.

codex_m.jpg
Yeah, exactly like a book of CONSTITUTION in a temple of WISDOM. Right?

This conversation is a pointless waste of time. let's move on.

up27_Baldr072.jpg

Move on to reading the Tome of Intelligence, of course.

up27_Baldr073.jpg

Superhuman intelligence of 19 gives The Codex 95% chance of learning a spell and no limit for amount of spells per level in his spellbook.

codex_m.jpg
Better than crack!

up27_Baldr074.jpg

Back to exploring the city. Here's one of the numerous inns.

codex_m.jpg
Three Old Kegs. Where have I heard this name before?

up27_Baldr075.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Oh it's the inn the carry-me-skull guy was talking about.

I think solving this quest also might have convinced the priest in the Temple of Wisdom to help us.

codex_m.jpg
No sense in thinking about it now.

up27_Baldr077.jpg

Entering another random house.

up27_Baldr078.jpg

Potion of... defense, I think?

up27_Baldr079.jpg

Yet another random house.

codex_m.jpg
Booooring!

up27_Baldr080.jpg

We are intercepted by this unusual fellow, supposedly dressed in silly colors (?).

codex_m.jpg
You should be seeing it from my perspective. Precious.

Better than You in ankheg armour?

codex_m.jpg
Go outside and freeze to death, willya?

up27_Baldr081.jpg

That sounds ominous.

codex_m.jpg
Oh, yeah. Terrifying. I haven't been this scared since last combat with kobolds.

up27_Baldr082.jpg

Drelik immediately mirrorimages himself.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking copycat! Now you die!

up27_Baldr083.jpg

We try The Kysus Barrage on him, but it ends with a bunch of 'magic resistance' messages.

codex_m.jpg
What the fuck...?

up27_Baldr084.jpg

He manages to cast a rather deadly Magic Missile on our hero.

codex_m.jpg
It's like fighting Borda all over again!

up27_Baldr085.jpg

Yeah, I'm getting some Borda similarities myself right now.

Death count: 112

Load game.

codex_m.jpg
I smell a non-trivial encounter.

Yeah, that magic resistance will bite us in the ass. We should prepare.

up27_Baldr086.jpg

Back to the inn, to get some rest.

up27_Baldr087.jpg

We engage Mirror Image this time to even out the odds.

codex_m.jpg
They would be evened out if I had magic resistance too.

You do have magic resistance. Whole 5% of it.

codex_m.jpg
Weren't you supposed to thrust a rusty nail into your eye or something?

up27_Baldr088.jpg

Drelik has one more mirror image than The Codex, so must be a higher level mage. We decide to burn up his clones with Magic Missile.

up27_Baldr089.jpg

He does the same thing, and more efficiently.

codex_m.jpg
This guy is starting to annoy me!

up27_Baldr090.jpg

But we have Amulet of Metaspell Influence now, meaning another Mirror Image available.

codex_m.jpg
Ha! Whatcha gonna do now, wimp?

up27_Baldr091.jpg

My poor reflexes don't allow me to notice that casting this Magic Missile is pointless, as Drelik's last mirror image was destroyed by one of The Codex' arrows.

codex_m.jpg
I hope I won't die because of your fucking stupid mistake!

up27_Baldr092.jpg

Uh, yeah, I hope so too.

Death count: 113

Loading game.

codex_m.jpg
Try to pay more attention, willya?

Ok. Sorry.

up27_Baldr093.jpg

This time we cast Mirror Image and Haste before entering the house.

codex_m.jpg
We should have done that from the start.

up27_Baldr095.jpg

From the start we cast Magic Missile twice to destroy his mirror images.

up27_Baldr096.jpg

His retaliation forces us to withdraw outside.

up27_Baldr097.jpg

We go back after refreshing Mirror Image and hiding in shadows.

codex_m.jpg
How does it work exactly? Are my mirror images also hidden in shadows, or are they visible, or what?

I'll tell You how it works: it works fine.

up27_Baldr098.jpg

The backstab effort is disappointing - rather pathetic damage and no poison.

up27_Baldr099.jpg

The Codex moves a few steps and stars to spike Drelik with arrows, hoping it will be enough to disrupt the enemy's spellcasting.

up27_Baldr100.jpg

But since Magic Missile is cast almost instantly, it doesn't work very well.

Death count: 114

codex_m.jpg
I don't think I will be able to stop him from casting magic missile without haste spell.

You may be right.

up27_Baldr101.jpg

Another try. The priority, as always, is getting rid of his Mirror Image.

up27_Baldr102.jpg

Next, deal as much damage as possible while our own Mirror Image is still active.

up27_Baldr103.jpg

When images are gone, we leave and come back refreshed and hidden (of course, backstab works even worse than before).

up27_Baldr104.jpg

A deadly duel ensues. We are at a disadvantage, but manage to nullify that by casting Mirror Image for the third time.

up27_Baldr105.jpg

Haste allows us to disrupt his spellcasting this time and he finally dies, after taking a total of 8 arrows to the face.

codex_m.jpg
HellYes! DieFucker!

up27_Baldr106.jpg

The loot he drops is far from impressive.

We head upstairs.

up27_Baldr107.jpg

codex_m.jpg
You were really attached to that buttler, weren't you? I mean really.

Are You implying something?

codex_m.jpg
Between this and colors that Drelik guy wore, I think everything is implying by itself.

up27_Baldr109.jpg

Jardak is a heavy melee fighter (aka tank), so we try to blind him.

up27_Baldr110.jpg

But it seems he's as magic resistant as his servant was. Not good.

codex_m.jpg
OH FUCK! My head!

up27_Baldr111.jpg

We run away retreat downstairs to heal a bit, and head back hidden in shadows.

up27_Baldr112.jpg

These backstabs sure ain't what they used to be.

codex_m.jpg
And these guys resist poison all the time. I smell cheating.

up27_Baldr113.jpg

Another tactical trip down the stairs.

codex_m.jpg
Good thing he's too stupid to follow.

up27_Baldr114.jpg

13 damage only? :decline:

codex_m.jpg
What is wrong with this dagger today!?

up27_Baldr115.jpg

And we never reach the stairs...

Death count: 115

Loading last save.

codex_m.jpg
Should have gone with that backstabbing halberd after all.

up27_Baldr116.jpg

16 damage this time. Uh :incline: ?

up27_Baldr117.jpg

codex_m.jpg
OW! SHIT!

Jardak has his way of telling us that coming back up was a stupid idea.

up27_Baldr118.jpg

We manage to get downstairs and return for another run. Damage is back to reasonable levels.

up27_Baldr119.jpg

The following attempt is a total failure at backstab overall, but at least we score a hit in.

codex_m.jpg
Next time we will be glad at even swinging the dagger in the correct general direction.

With your l33t dagger skillz, we'll take what we get.

up27_Baldr120.jpg

Next backstab is again pathetic damage-wise, but at least this time poison manages to work. And I've already given up hope of that happening.

up27_Baldr121.jpg

But another one is an epic fail.

codex_m.jpg
Not good!

up27_Baldr122.jpg

Indeed, could've been better.

Death count: 116

codex_m.jpg
I have nothing to say. Except maybe that your 'no run-throughs' rule, forcing us to explore everyting, sucks ass.

I agree.

up27_Baldr123.jpg

Next attempt is much better in damage department.

up27_Baldr124.jpg

But has a very similar result.

Death count: 117

Reloading.

codex_m.jpg
Some healing potions, maybe? So I can survive one hit at least?

He's on the verge of dying, I'm sure!

codex_m.jpg
You're on the verge of dying too, you realize that?

up27_Baldr125.jpg

I don't get it. What is with the sucky backstab damage against this guy? Does he have some sort of damage reduction?

up27_Baldr126.jpg

Fortunately, next attempt is the last one.

codex_m.jpg
Fucking finally.

up27_Baldr127.jpg

As opposed to his servant, Jardak does drop something useful.

up27_Baldr128.jpg

codex_m.jpg
Wow, that's a rather awesome helmet!

Indeed. Pity we found it so late and won't be able to use it for long. We should be getting Helm of Balduran in next update.

codex_m.jpg
So, this whole fight was... pointless?

Well, yeah.

codex_m.jpg

up27_Baldr129.jpg

Area completed!

codex_m.jpg
Do you mean that house was the last one?

Last significant one. Yes.

codex_m.jpg
And we could have finished exploring this area fifty screenshots ago if not for those two guys?

Pretty much.

codex_m.jpg
:rage::rage:
---------------------------------

Next time: We find a house that proves to be even more annoying than Jardak's.

codex_m.jpg
:rage::rage::rage:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom